Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• colecole Member Posts: 67
    Has anybody used this to make their non-bluetooth phone into a bluetooth phone for the TL? Did it work?
  • cherylgirlcherylgirl Member Posts: 7
    I agree. I've had my 05TL for a month now.

It came with the Michelins and I have slight vibrations and the ride is bumpy in the city.

I rode home to DC from Delaware over Thanksgiving and because of traffic, got off of I 95 and took a back road (highway)Rt. 40. By the time I got home, I thought my jaw was going to drop off after an hour of hitting unven pavement or slight bumps. It is really a rough ride. I was concerned whether it was the tires, but after reading, it seems that Michelins are better than the Bridgestones, and I think it's just the way the car is going to be. I love my car, but short trips aren't that comfortable!
  • me2004me2004 Member Posts: 2
    i've been poking around here and noticing that some have had problem w/ vibration at high speed. I've had similar problem w/ my 02 MDX since day one. After bringing it back to the dealer 3 times, they balanced, rebalanced, rotated and all kinds of high tech stuff, but still coudn't fix the problem. After 8000 miles, & the 4th I brought it back in, I suggested that they replace the original tires (I believe Goodyears) w/ Michelins (the only other brand they have for MDX there) & see what happens. Sure enough the problem went away and I got me 4 new Michelins with no charge.
  • robrizrobriz Member Posts: 12
    I have an '02 TL - Type s. The transmission was replaced at +/- 15,000 miles due to a whining noise. I ran into someone one day who told me that Acura used the Integra drivetrain/trans on these cars because they were in a hurry to get them on the market - he said his source was very reliable. There is no way that Integra equipment was suited for the 270 HP in the Type S. And now the recall! I am tempted to get support for a Class Action Suit against Acura - any takers with the same problem and desires????
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "...Acura used the Integra drivetrain/trans on these cars..."

That's got to be one of those urban myths.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Acura TL'02 type S comes with 270hp, that's new.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    As far as I remember, it's 260hp.
  • njrjnjrj Member Posts: 1
    The dealer inspected my TL in Septermber for the transmission recall and added the pump but did not find any problem. Now 3 months later, my transmission has serious problems. Acura's service could not take me so I went to AAMCO yesterday. Just remembered the recall today. What actions should I take? I called AAMCO to make sure they look for the problems specified in the recall.
  • cogle123cogle123 Member Posts: 2
    The passenger seat hi and low light works but there is no heat in the passenger seat. I have checked the fuse, but its OK Any suggestions?
  • cogle123cogle123 Member Posts: 2
    A dealer solution is the only one
  • jonas1jonas1 Member Posts: 1
    When I blow hot air through the front vents of my '04 TL I get ice cold outside air (during the winter, of course)coming from my center console, between the front seats. It comes from the opening near the hinge of the console lid. This air flow stops when I use the "auto" feature for temperature control, but using the front vents for heat is the fastest way to heat up the car in the winter. I had the vehicle into the dealer last winter but he couldn't find anything. Anyone experience this?

Thanks.
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Just took my '03 in for transmission inspection. Dealer called and said 'second gear look a bit dark-discolored'. They sent pictures to Acura to get direction on whether to replace transmission. I've had no problems yet. Dealer says even if they replace transmission, I still might not get any extended warranty on it. Say's it depends on VIN number. Does anyone know Acuras warranty on this problem 1) if transmission is not replaced and, 2) if it is replaced?
  • cherylgirlcherylgirl Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone out there tell me if my 2005 Acura TL has anti-code grabbing technology? I suspect not. Why you ask? Because when I was at the mall this afternoon, I had too many packages so I went back to my car, popped open the trunk and put my packages in for safe keeping. I then went back to shopping inside the mall. I think a thief had some type of code grabbing device that was able to intercept my signal and use the copied signal from their device to pop open my trunk and steal all of my packages. Doesn't Acura put code hopping or code rolling technology (a new code is generated each time you open your door or trunk with your keyless remote rendering a code grabbing device useless) in their keyless systems. Can't believe Acura would be naive enough to exclude something so cheap. Please tell me it ain't so.
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    None of the literature mentions rolling code technology, so I'm guessing it doesn't. If it did, I would suppose that the marketing department would be mentioning that as a selling point.

I know the Lexus RX330 brochure I have specifically mentions rolling code technology.

That is a real bummer about all of your packages being stolen. I guess I'll have to remember not to use the key fob with my '04 TL to open the trunk if I'm putting something valuable in there. I'll just use the electric release on the dash and unlock the car the old fashioned way.

Jeff
  • rommeyrommey Member Posts: 7
    I feel Honda/Acura should pay for your stolen gifts taken from your trunk. Can anyone tell cherylgirl how she can work up the corporate ladder and get this complaint in front of the big wigs? I suggest anyone doing Christmas shopping use their metal key to open their car and lift the trunk lever to open their trunk. What happened to Cherylgirl occurs all the time. It happened to me too. Someone grabbed my signal as I clicked my transmitter, followed me home and opened up my TL while I slept and stole many valuable items. I'm now nervous to ever use my keyless transmitter anymore in any situation.
    One more thing I forgot to mention. The thief permanently has my code in his code grabbing device, meaning he now basically has the key to get into my car whenever. My only recourse is to put in a new alarm/open unlock system with rolling codes or permanently use my metal key. Can't help but imagine one morning getting into my car and someone jumping up from the back seat and car jacking me at gunpoint or knifepoint all because he snatched up my code from my transmitter. This is really scary.
    When you put the packages in your car, did you unlock and then pop the trunk, or did you just pop the trunk? The reason I ask is that maybe, after closing the trunk, you forgot to re-lock.

Regarding your concern over being car-jacked, one way to safe-guard, though a bit of an inconvenience, is to make sure you can see the flashing LED on your door before unlocking and jumping in. If someone is hiding in your car, even if he locked in from the inside, the LED wouldn't flash. I wouldn't worry too much about this in a sedan, but if I had a minivan, or an SUV, I would be more worried, since there are tons of room in those vehicles for someone to hide in.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Wow this is new to me. My ES actually has this rolling code feature and I don't even know about it. I think Acura does not offer this feature on any of its models, not even RL. I wonder if this is more standard on Luxo brands other than Lexus.

I guess we'd avoid opening TL's trunk in public and then place some goodies there. That said, I am not sure how bad it is as most none-Luxo cars, including all those minivans, don't have this safety feature, but you don't hear this happen much.
    I didn't open the doors. No need. Hit the trunk button, put my packages in, closed the trunk shut and I was off inside the store again. I went to the police station Saturday and there were over 25 police reports of trunks and doors being opened from the same underground mall parking. The police say they are somewhat hot on the trail of these guys. Thank God. Just beware that it's happening out there.
  • kozokozo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had a problem with the Bridgestone tires causing vibration on the 2005 TL?
    You have opened Pandora's Box!
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    thats just the way the car rides...
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    rmg - I think you should be able to replace the DVD disk for your nav system with a new one that should have Canada on it. Not sure about the previous generation TL but the current one's Nav system includes both US and Cda on the same DVD which may be able to replace yours. Now on cold Ottawa mornings there is no guarantee that your whole system may not be completely frozen - good luck.
  • dowrightdowright Member Posts: 1
    Help Please!! I took my 97 3.2 TL in for routine maintenance for the timing belt and water pump to be replaced. Keep in mind that there was nothing wrong with the car before serviced. Once completed I noticed that it was running "hard" and it made a noise every time it shifted from first to second. Before I could get it back to the dealer I found tranny liquid all over the ground. Towed in and now they are trying to charge me over 3500 to get my transmission rebuilt/replaced. Help form anyone out there....... could this problem be related to the "routine maintenance" I had done with the timing belt and water pump
  • vin3vin3 Member Posts: 12
    Spoke with Acura Client Service today. They still contend that the vibration and shudder in the front end is a driving characteristic though their engineers are working on it. My question then is why would you have your engineers work on a favorable driving characteristic? Strictly retorical.
    Cherylgirl, I spoke with Acura today and they did acknowledge that anyone with a code grabbing device can grab your code and be able to get into your car whenever. They also told me they will be putting code hopping technology on the next year's models that will generate a new code each time you click you keyless transmitter. Hurray for this! I've also called my local news station and they are considering doing a story warning car owners of this problem. Another reason no one knows too much about this crime because the police are reluctant to report it as to avoid encouraging more thieves to go out and buy these simple to find code grabbing devices. You don't think it will happen to you? Cherylgirl and I both thought so. Not so now. Be carefull where you click your keyless transmitter.
  • lastacuralastacura Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

What year is your acura, my is 2003 and has 35000 on it, the car already have transmission problem.
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 22
    Just changed all my Bridgestone tires for Mich and the ride has improved 95% Dealer took back all tires after 2700 miles and charged me $200.00 for all 4 new tires. balanced installed. Took a while but I think something is going on with HONDA
    "Took a while but I think something is going on with HONDA"

Can you elaborate on that? Sounds like at least now if you complain to Acura they'd swap it at some nominal cost w/o asking much question?
    Mine is a 2005 and no transmission problems to speak of as yet. Crossing my fingers. Did you have anyone evacuate the transmission completely and have it replaced with new fluid? I've routinely done this to all of my cars to prevent transmission problems.
  • kkftzkkftz Member Posts: 15
    For those that have owned a TL 6 speed manual... have you experienced any issues that I should be aware of? How reliable is the clutch... how long can I expect it to last? I have about a 45 mile commute which is about 3/4 highway and 1/4 stop & go.

Thanks.
  • amyswoamyswo Member Posts: 1
    After starting my car, the following 3 lights went on and did not go off:

- D5 gear (i.e. green flashing light)

- TCS (Traction control light)

- Check Engine light

Does anyone know what is going on? Is this safe to drive?

Thanks,

-Amy
    Even though I hope it ain't so, those lights may mean that you have a transmission problem. I would bring it in to a dealer asap and have them run the diagnostic on it.
  • sll2001sll2001 Member Posts: 5
    Merry Christmas!

After filling the trunk with a whole sleigh-full of presents that santa left at grandma's house, we needed to also load up the backseat. Went to open the driver's side rear door and it wouldn't open. It's cold here in the Northeast, but not cold enough to freeze the doors shut, and all 3 other doors were fine. When you pull the handle nothing happens at all, when you hit the power lock nothing happens to the lock, and you can't move it up or down manually. The door was opened once today to get my daughter in, but that's it. Any idea what happened? Is there some funky child protection thing I could have inadvertently hit?
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    It may be a faulty power door lock actuator.
  • sll2001sll2001 Member Posts: 5
    Then I guess I'm off to the dealer tomorrow. Other than oil changes it'll be the first thing I've had to go to them for since I bought it in May, so even though it is annoying I suppose I shouldn't complain. Thanks.
  • rayjayrayjay Member Posts: 2
    My TL is a 2000 with 59,000 miles on it. I just noticed my transmission slipping and immediately had it service but it is still slipping. The interesting thing about this is that 4 months ago I had Acura dealer change the oil and do the transmission recall notice. I am very interested in the details of that notice. I don't even remember getting notified but they had it in their records so they performed whatever it was they were supposed to do.

I am wondering if that has anything to do with my current problem.

Thanks. RayJay
  • rayjayrayjay Member Posts: 2
    My TL is a 2000 with 59,000 miles on it. I just noticed my transmission slipping and immediately had it service but it is still slipping. The interesting thing about this is that 4 months ago I had Acura dealer change the oil and do the transmission recall notice. I am very interested in the details of that notice. I don't even remember getting notified but they had it in their records so they performed whatever it was they were supposed to do.

I am wondering if that has anything to do with my current problem.

Thanks. RayJay
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    My friend drives a 2000 TL....same symptoms at 86,000 km....approx same mileage as yours.

Acura finally replaced the tranny under warranty after denying for 6 months that there was a problem.

He now has approx 136,000 km and no problems so far. This behaviour by Acura ( and amny other reasons )was enough for me not to get the new TL.

Regards,

Webby
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    TL has a terrible metallic sounding rattle when going over bumps or rough roads coming from the glove compartment. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how was it taken care of?

Thanks,
    Glove box door rattle seems fairly common. Your glove box door may be misaligned. Open the front passenger door, look along the right side of the glove box at the gapping between the door and the box and see if the door looks misaligned. Mine is misaligned and makes rattly noise from time to time. I can make the noise go away temporarily by opening glove box and slamming door shut. I told the dealer that I will make appointment to have it looked at once holiday rush is past.
    I recall this TL design issue has been brought up b4, but I wonder if there is any lasting problem with it or owners have been pretty much finding a way to address it, or at least getting used to it.

Some had suggested pushing side mirrors out a bit but I gather it's never a good idea to change lanes w/o looking back to check. I wonder if many owners found that they are more reluctant to change lanes 'at liberty' now that there always seems to be a blind spot behind that thick pillar.

I also wonder why TL is designed with such a wide C pillar. I can associate a short/taller trunk with TL's sporty stance. But wide C pillar? Looks like the pillar simply cuts into rear window a bit too much?
    Do not own Acura yet you can answer all Acura problem.

I dunno why lurking in Acura Board is better/fun than other board?.
    Dont tell me that your Honda dealer manager (a good friend of yours) has all the answer. My honda dealer doesnt do Acura, they need to be trained first.

Let me ask you one thing :

Can you explain why BMW 2004 has 13 transmission /powertrain failure or problem (3 series alone) while Acura TL 2004 has 0 complaint on transmission problem? According to NHTSA-ODI website.

It has been 1 year and 3 months now!
    "Do not own Acura yet you can answer all Acura problem. "

"All Acura problem"...do not know what you mean, perhaps you do not like the truth?

I have owned Acura Legends from 1987 through 1995

I have owned Hondas from 1975 to now...still have 3 Hondas

I was ready to purchase a 2004 TL until I drove one Fall 2004.

"I dunno why lurking in Acura Board is better/fun than other board?. "

Acura board is a lot of fun since it has a lot of naive kids and inexperienced drivers and it is always good for a laugh.

"Dont tell me that your Honda dealer manager (a good friend of yours) has all the answer. My honda dealer doesnt do Acura, they need to be trained first."

No, he does not have all the answers but he is honest!

"Let me ask you one thing : "

"Can you explain why BMW 2004 has 13 transmission /powertrain failure or problem (3 series alone) while Acura TL 2004 has 0 complaint on transmission problem? According to NHTSA-ODI website. "

I guess Acura TL has a better tranny...LOL

It has been 1 year and 3 months now!

Perhaps no official tranny failures, give it time and see what happens.

Also, I do not have a 325 ( do not know where you got this info ), I do however own a 330i and a 320i.

It appears that most TL owners are really sensitive/defensive when told the truth....relax and have fun!

Regards,

Webby
  • maddie2maddie2 Member Posts: 1
    My trunk hs been leaking for months. The seal does not prevent the water from draining into the trunk but they are trying to tell me this is normal. What's the latest with your trunk situation?
    325I Auto...silver grey with black interior..premium package..no sport package available in Canada til June ( unless the dealer finds one somewhere )I do not want to wait that long since my lease expires May 1st.

First BMW so I hope it is a good one.

I am still pissed off at Acura for not willing to deal...they still do not believe that I dumped them !

#1922 of 3077 #1905 of 1921 webby1 by pg48477 by webby1 Apr 08, 2004 (10:06 am)

Sorry...not 330 but 325...power does not mean that much to me as long as the power is adequate, enough torque and great handling.

Timeless design and tracks as driving on railroad tracks!

Well, this might explain better. Now I know where this anxiety comes from! lol.
    Now I see how you assumed re the 325 I.

The 325I deal did not happened and I purchased the 330 I in April 2004....damn it is a great car!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your 2004 TL.

Best Regards,

Webby
    It appears that most TL owners are really sensitive/defensive when told the truth

The truth? oh I see..

Here's the truth :

Acura Legend is one of the best car Honda/Acura had ever produced besides NSX

My Honda dealership refused to look at my Acura TL'04 DC outlet problem. It turned out my cell phone charger was the defected one.

He said "We need to be trained by Acura first", simple thing that they dont want to take the risk

You care to have owned 3 hondas, that means it's a good car.

Previous TL 2000-02 and some 03's tranny failures occured early and some were reported at less than 1200 miles.

Not defending acura for 2000-2002 tranny problem. It should've never happened.

BMW 3 series 2004: 13 official tranny failures occured and were reported less than 4 months after it's build date. (2004 only)

While Acura TL'04 has no official failures after 15 months.

Lucky the car(mind you, I aint saying any name) is not underpowered, and overpriced. Hate to say but regrets do come late, dont they?

Anyway happy holidays, enjoy your bimmer and drive save
    I know I'm more conscious about changing lanes. With the C pillars and the headrests, it always seems like there is someone on your tail when you do a quick shoulder check. Maybe someone taller would have less problem. I find I have to "think through" a lane change. And like athletics, when you think, and not do it by instinct, you actually don't execute as smoothly as can be.

But styling-wise, the thick C pillars gives the car a masculine, purposeful look which I like. I guess sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too!
    Well maybe it's Honda's way of making sure you drive that 270 HP beast safely, with more caution!

It sure takes some getting used to. But when you really look at it, the chance of a car hidden totally behind the (big) pillar, that you can't see side or rear, is almost next to none.

Did you look at those C300, the car that drew quote a rave? Those windows are even smaller for a much bulkier car. Can't imagine visibility any better. Yep C3000 looks masculine all right, with some steroid too.