Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    "On the average 45 minute commute, I'll probably hear the temp on the radio 4-5 times and also pass 4-5 signs that display time and temp"

Got to be more of a Canadian thing.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    "but it always seems to be a consistent 4 degrees celsius off the reported actual. Not really a big deal in my opinion and have not asked at the dealer if they can reset it or not."

One word of caution... I'm pretty sure that some cars use this temp sensor to know when to turn on heated mirrors, windshield washer jets, etc. You may want to contact your dealership to be sure this isn't the case with your car before you ignore it.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    I have never known an automobile temperature gage, no matter how expensive the car, to be totally accurate. For those of you that know anything about thermodynamics know that when a car sits in the sun the metal will conduct heat. This will heat up the car and the temperature gage, therefore when you turn the car on the Temp will read a warmer reading then what it really is. When you drive around for a few minutes and air is allowed to circulate around the temperature sensor the temp reading will come down to more closer to actual temp.

Temperature readings from the bank are also inaccurate due to the same principle. Most banks do not set up their sensors properly, therefore the temperature reading is influenced from the sun. I have seen very few bank signs, maybe 10%, that consistently display an accurate reading.

So just like the MPG calculator on the TL, the temperature gage is not an accurate reading, but will give you a pretty good estimation, especially if you give it a chance to equalize.
  • First, I own three Honda products so I consider myself familiar with their level of quality. Second, I would not buy another Honda product based on my experiences with my Acura 2001 TL and 2001 Honda Accord EX-V6. What I want you to know is that a small problem can turn into a big one, even with an Acura. If there is a problem, document it have them fix it. "TLC" stands for a total load of crap. Good luck.
  • nash1nash1 Member Posts: 1
    i have had my 05 since mid november. i had about 500 miles on my car when it started. i have been to the dealership 3 times already and the keep saying it is my tires. it is not the tires.
  • gled0501gled0501 Member Posts: 12
    when i bought my tl in sept, i upgraded the bridgestones to the michelin pilot sport due to all the complaints posted here. so far, the car rides great and no vibrations of any kind. today, i was out in the snow for the first time. there was only about a 1/2 inch on the road. i have the 6spd and BARELY made it up a somewhat short but steep climb towards my house. i was only in 2nd gear and really fighting to get to the top. i thought that the michelins would be fine in the snow, but now i wonder if i need snow tires also?? how is everyone else faring in the snow with this car. i also wonder that since i have to move thru the gears so quickly that i will always have a problem on hills in the snow with this car, regardless of the tires. we live in southeast pa and although we get frequent snow, its not like buffalo!! today, however, we are expecting 16 inches, i worry that i will be stuck here for the next 3 days!!
    Read about my "experience" from hell dealing with the Bridgestones in the snow and rain after only 13,000 miles:

mdhauke, "Acura TL Owners: Problems & Solutions" #1565, 9 Jan 2005 8:20 pm
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I live in SE Penna also, so will have to reverse mine out of 12" tomorrow. After living with my car for a while, I'm not sure I can agree about the Bridgestones. They grip tenaciously and give a decent, reasonably quiet ride. They flat-spot a little when cold, but they are a performance tire and round out within a mile or two -- a non-issue. So far, pretty decent in light snow.

Remember snow traction varies tremendously depending on temperature, underlying ice, etc. One storm's no problem, another that looks innocent sends everyone spinning out. I've had an almost stationary car actually slide sideways off the road banking on I-495 in Delaware a couple of years back. A general rule though -- wider tires are trickier in heavy rain and snow.
  • gled0501gled0501 Member Posts: 12
    mdhauke,

i did read your message and think that you probably took several years off your life due to stress. i had upgraded my tires specifically because of the terrible reviews on the el42's. i think i had you in mind when i was driving yesterday, fearful that i would slide off the road. i realize the michelins are better than the el42's but dont know if i need to get snow tires to really be able to drive. anyone else??? our area is very hilly which poses a lot of challenges especially with the manual.
  • kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    recently replaced my contis CH95 with all season potenza G009s on my 02 jag X-Type 3.0 sport with manual. I can go through just about anything Cleveland winters can throw at me including about 9" yesterday. I really like the TL but after 3 winters with an AWD car, the 3-4x a year you really need it I don't think I want a year round car without AWD
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    TL's heated mirrors are controlled by the driver via manual switch. I don't believe there are any heated windshield washer jets (although it would be nice). To mdhauke's post, I have also not seen any car ever get it perfectly right and I don't believe that any system would be reliable enough to serve as the control for any particular mechanism on the vehicle.
  • semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Ok...Enough about Outside Temperature gauges some people finicky about their tires squeaks vibrations and rattles. Now for us looking for some good information on Real problems w/ the TL Are there any????....If you really want to know what the temp is outside listen to the radio. If you are going to be driving in snow for a significant part of the year then buy a 4wheeler. But quit bellyaching about a mid size luxury car that was not designed to be a weather station or AWD vehicle... Go buy one there are plenty to choose from.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Hmmmmmm... Bellyaching on a problems and solution forum. Imagine that.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well then the good news is there are no documented "mechanical" problems -- no tranny falling off, no engine fire, no stalling, no brake failure. (I think there have been some reported cases of the car pulling left or right).
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    The last angry man…chill!
  • curious2005curious2005 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 05 TL at a dealer several hundred miles away and drove it home yesterday at the speed limit. Barely used the A/C. When I got home there was coolant fluid leaking. Same thing happened when I drove home 11 mi from work in 50 degree weather. Wassup?
    You sure it was coolant fluid? What color was it?
    The fluid was clear like water and did not have any detectable smell. Thx.
    how about condensation from a/c. only clear substance i can think of. everything else has color.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    definitely condensation. totally normal and not a problem in the least. check out your coolant overflow tank to see what that looks like. In most newer cars, its bright orange (used to be green, but I'm not sure any manufacturer uses the green stuff anymore).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• emdemd Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. Just wanted to ask your opinion about purchasing a TL. This is the first time that my husband is considering a Japanese car, but I just wanted to check in with all of you to make sure that this one should be the one he chooses.

Just reviewing the posts I'm noticing lots of concerns apparently about the tires. Is this a real problem? We live in NYS and do experience quite a bit of snow here.

How is the Acura mechanically? We're looking at the one w/o navigation.

Many thanks for your advise.
    That's what I was going to say too.

curious2005, you have to remember that if you switched on the front defogger, the AC would come on automatically. Or the dealer may have set the climate control to auto, which means that the AC compressor would have been on, even if heat was coming out of the vents.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I got that experience also, almost made me think that it was the coolant.

Thats why they make the coolant fluid colorful, sweet smell but dangerous to your pets.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Just reviewing the posts I'm noticing lots of concerns apparently about the tires. Is this a real problem? We live in NYS and do experience quite a bit of snow here..."

The TL Navi comes with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, which is a mediocre tire, the non-Navi comes with Bridgestone Turanza EL42, which is very terrible, especially on water/snow. If you buy the non-Navi TL you should negotiate with the dealer to put some decent tires, or deduct an allowance for you to replace the tires.
    Don't buy an 04....they have too many issues to even talk about and Acura will tell the problems are normal…!

The 05 is probability a good car!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    After 3 weeks and a couple of snow storms (including, of course the recent dusting of 30" around Boston), I'm unimpressed with the EL42 tires in the snow. So far, they're bad. I'm not sure if I'll categorize them as dangerous, but I'm genuinely surprised at how often the traction control and abs have been employed (thank goodness for these safety features!). This is the first car I've ever owned (always FWD) that I question in the snow.

Otherwise, wonderful car. Smooth, quiet, powerful, handsome and loaded with goodies. Acura's reputation for reliability/build quality is excellent overall. My family has had several Acuras/Hondas with nary a complaint (no tranny failures to report).

As for Japaneese cars, your husband could (should?) compare/contrast with Infiniti G35 (G35X if you're concerned about snow, which I was and did) on the more sports, RWD orientation and, in the same vain, Lexus IS300 (much smaller, though). On the more luxurious ride side, Lexus ES330. He could also check out Acura's own TSX. Possibly the Mazda 6, Nissan Maxima or Altima. So many choices...!

Good luck, enjoy the shopping. Only he (and you) can decide which one is "the one."

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

The Acura TL is a front drive vehicle and therefore should be good in snow. However, my TL is not good in snow (Bridgestone tires). Is the problem the 17 inch tires or the car?

If it were the tires, then what tire brand would be better?

Tx,
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    The problem is a combination of low profile tires and the Bridgestones. I have put Contenintal snow tires on my "04 TL and it is pretty good in the snow.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Unfortunately, if there is little or no traction it doesn't matter which (or how many) wheels drive the car! As stated above, I think the combination of low profile and tread pattern make the ELs poor tires in the snow.

You can go to tirerack.com to research different tires for the TL. I believe BF Goodrich Traction TA (all season tires) get pretty good reviews. It's been a while since I looked, though so don't quote me...

So far, smart winter driving and electronics have kept my TL moving straight and true. I just really have to be extra alert with these tires. I'm a bit upset as I did not buy a RWD sedan just so I wouldn't have to buy a set of snows! Well, there were other reasons, too, but that was one of the main reasons. I've always driven FWD with all season tires and never had issues with winter driving throughout New England. But now...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• inglejinglej Member Posts: 1
    Windows in the front doors rattle when the doors are closed and the windows are not all the way up. Acura dealer says it is normal.
  • surfgebsurfgeb Member Posts: 24
    I tried to make it through the Boston winter on the OEM bridgestones but I was slipping and sliding on the slightest snowy surface.

I just bought 4 Vredestein WinTracs and it turns the car into s snow tank. The ride is surer than my wife's Pilot with AWD. Speed rated tires also mean that the drive on dry surfaces is as good if not better than the bridgestones
    so...what else is new!

I wonder...do the 05 tl's also rattle or is it just the early model 04 tl's?

No matter because i'm sure it's normal
    Sounds of door shut on driver's door is a bit different between windows all the way up and not, but I don't sense much window vibration. Not a problem

One gripe I have on my 05 is that the firm ride coupled with a firm seat. Some will say it feels the road more as it's positive. Well when the road is good, it gives you a firm grip feeling in a supportive cockpit, which is nice. The problem is that when the road is bad, you feel a lot of it too, a lot more than my ES. I know many will say ah that ES is too soft and isolated, but I kind of think isolation from potholes a good thing. I guess you can't have both. The vivid road feel on bad condition can be a source of squeaks that some are complaining, although I have not sensed that much. It's a very solidly built car so far otherwise.

I used to think ES looks just fine, elegant and luxury (except for the tail maybe), but when you park TL and ES side by side, I have to admit, ES does look at bit bulky, and well, too innocent. But the ride, still the creamiest of all. TL is quite decent, if you can avoid most of those potholes.
    "I guess you can't have both"

I've not experienced it personally, but apparently we can hve both -- in a BMW (probably 5 series and up).
    Yeah, $20K more can do some wonder I think. Actually 525 won't cost that much more, but then some will say it's a teaser in 5 series. Other $50K cars like E or RL are better 'balanced' too.

In TL's price range, I heard that G is even harsher, mercy! IMO, some ride between ES and TL would be perfect!
  • newguy4newguy4 Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting my '05 TL in a week. I want a bluetooth phone and Verizon only uses the Motorola V710. Is the bluetooth compatability working well when calling cell phones as well as land lines. Also, how's the audio in the TL when talking on the phone? Thanks.
  • txbluedogtxbluedog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TL. I was driving it today and noticed one of my headlights was out. I turned off my lights and then turned them back on. After I did this the light was working again. That lasted about 5 minutes and it went out again. I also have problems with the auto function to roll down the driver side window. It randomly shorts out and doesn't work. The dealer has reset the computer, but this doesn't help. Has anyone else had problems with the wiring of their TL?
  • chadedmundschadedmunds Member Posts: 2
    Well I just bought a used '00 TL and I just found out that the BOSE CD Player in it dosent play the CD-R. I mean the CDs that I burnt myself. Is it just that way the Audio System works or is there a problem with my CD player.

Also,

As the Audio system in the car does not have an equalizer , I am planning to install a Pioneer FH-P5000MP which is an indash MP3/CD player. I am not sure whether this would fit into my car.

Can anyone reply to my questions above.

thanks in advance.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to file a law suit using the lemon law?

Are there down sides in filing a suit?

thanks,
    Does anyone know how long it takes to file and settle a lemon law law suit.

Are there down sides in filing a suit?

thanks,
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Here is the site article which explains the process:

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

I couldn't find any current topics concerning Lemon Law, but if you use the site search using the keyword "Lemon" you'll get a return of several topics. Some may (or may not) be educational.
  • xbixbi Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I just brought my 05 TL (auto w/o nav) about three weeks ago. This is my first acura/honda. I noticed that everytime I shift the knob to reverse from drive, the clutch makes a very noticeable noise. I know that this clutch goes zig zag, but is this noise normal? Maybe I'm just paranoid. But this seems to be a problem everytime I shift to reverse. Thanks.
    You mean a "clunk" sound? That's normal.
    Ted, it's definitely the tires.
    Sorry, but I don't think you will find many CD players from the 2000 era that plays CD-Rs. If I were you, instead of investing in a new equalizer, get a new radio, one that plays CD-Rs and even MP3s. It may look a little out of place, but you will be much happier.
    Called the dealer and they said that it was condensation that can happen when you run the A/C (this is obviously a common thing) or even when you just have the fan on at all. Just wanted to report back on this in case other new TL owners experience the same problem and are wondering/worrying. On a side note, the condensation does not seem to happen when I am not using the fan.
    Should take more than just the fan to cause the condensation. I think the AC (compressor) has to be on. I have the fan on all the time, but I usually turn off the AC unless I need cooling or defogging.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    The factory changer in my '94 Acura Legend plays my CD-Rs just fine, but it won't play CD-RWs.
    Anyone know how to reset the Maintenance oil indicator if the oil change is done by someone other than an Acura dealer? I know I saw it somewhere but cant find it.
    it's in the manual under oil change...