Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    I test drove 2 TL's and purchased a different one. The demo, with 2-3k miles on it drove flawlessly. I wanted a green TL with camel interior. When we test drove it my wife hated the interior color and I was noticing the harsh vibration. I assumed the tires were way over inflated. We ended up buying a green TL with parchment. When it was being preped I told the salesman to adjust the tires to factory specs. We never drove it before purchase. It has drives like a cloud in the air.

I bought a Cingular Motorola V551 and the clarity (using the hands free link) is better than our home phone.

The only negative so far, is that I notice the outside temp display to be "slow" to give an accurate display. Also, that display should be visible to the passenger. I guess there is no way to do that.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    People posting about problems in this forum are not a representative sample of TL owners, therefore, basing opinions about posts here is not logical (I am not Spock). However, they can help alert people, for example, checking for vibrations during test drives and questions to ask when buying, very helpful.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    No the airbag(s) is(are) mute, "the strong silent type".
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Thanks for the compliments...but what is bugging me regarding this forum are the following...and why I am firing back a bit to others that don't appear representative:
    1) We have found a 'troll' here within the past two weeks where a person is reporting problems...but his profile indicates he does not own a TL and does not support any non-american made cars (btw...the TL is assembled in the USA in OH).
    2) Isolated issues which are extrapolated to all. Throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Guess what I am getting at is what we are reading on this site are problems (Frisconick is correct..not a representative sample). But can we infer all have the same problems...no. Reason is that only problems are reported...no problems remain not reported.

Any case...I was a little miffed with how that person flamed on another. And pay attention to the Consumer Reports reliability rating...which is a great gauge for all.

ok...I am stepping off my soap box..sorry

As for Frisconick....you may not be Spock...but your car sure does have the lines of a great spaceship
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    ...and I surely hope so... one question I have, and probably has been mentioned before is about oil changes. I've been on the road with my TL for a little more than 2 weeks, and having put on 1000 miles on it already, I found my oil quality gauge showing at 90%. According to the salesman, I should throw out the window all that rule of thumb about having to change the oil every 3000 miles, and just take a peek at this percentage, and wait till the car tells me to change the oil. According to salesman, oil has to be changed at 10000 miles, but that seems kind of a long shot.... so what do you guys thnk?
    I always thought the voice on the bluetooth, resembled more to the voice of an old biker chick with a smoking habit...
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    The oil change interval has been quite an adjustment for me, too. You will find that the monitor will have you change it between 7500 and 10,000 miles, depending on how you drive and weather conditions, etc. If your salesperson didn't tell you, you definitely do not want to do your first oil change early. The factory placed additives in the oil that need to stay there for the entire oil change interval as noted on your monitor. I trust Honda/Acura on this because of their quality history. When you think about it, wouldn't they want you to come into the service department more frequently to increase dealer profit? Now they are telling you to come in less frequently. I'm okay with that!

You will also notice that other manufacturers are backing off of the old 3 months/3000 miles. There are oils on the market claiming 5000 or 7500 mile intervals. I have been told that the 3/3000 was overkill and bad for the environment.
    Hope this helps.
  • gandb77gandb77 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Acura tl with about 70,000 miles on it. Other than normal oil changes, the engine has never been touched. This primarily because I felt that "Leave well enough alone, "mechanics might just screw up a good thing".
    However I am about to change my mind.
    Can anyone help me as to what kind of work should possibly be done on the engine and what should be checked? And what the cost may be? Has original, untouched plugs, etc.
    It seems to run good but also seems to lack a little power and mileage.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks george
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I, too, strictly rely on the computer for oil changes. My reasoning is that the goal of every car manufacturer (from Kia to Ford to Ferrari to Honda) is to make a car that people like so much, they buy another one...and another one...

Toyota and Honda have done particularly well at this with the Accord & Camry. I bet there are more people that only buy accords, or only buy camrys than any other car. I think it used to be that way for Cadillac, back in the '70s.

Anyway, this oil-minder is not something Acura really hyped, and it's not something that people necessarily expect of a car in this range (now auto-headlights is something people expect!!!), so it's not like they had to rush this out to the market for competition reasons. Based on that, and Honda's general conservatism, I am confident they wouldn't add this computerized feature to the car unless they were confident it would work.

If you think about it, probably their biggest defense against engine problems is "the consumer didn't change the oil enough." Well, they just blew up that defense if the consumer can show the car didn't alert them to the need for an oil change.

Another way of putting it, is that Acura just took on a responsibility and a liability that was formerly the consumer's. That wouldn't make financial sense unless they were confident in the system.

And, frankly, it's one of the things that has won me over with this car, and is something I will definitely consider when making my next purchase.

PS - a counterargument to my reasoning is the Sienna tire-pressure gauge. There're a lot of problems for people with run-flat tires. I discount that error b/c the problem is that Toyota installed a gauge that measures how fast a wheel is spinning. With regular tires (that are on most fo the Siennas), if 1 tire is low, it'll spin faster than the others (a mathematical/physics thing based on circumference and distance - trust me). Run flats, of course, are purposely made to maintain their shape when flat, so the computer system doesn't recognize the difference. Anyway, this is an instance of not thinking of the effects w/r/t an add-on option (you get the run-flats only if you have an AWD minivan). The Acura oil monitor is on every TL, and the internal systems are the same, so you don't have the variables to contend with.
    I will concur with ed31cincy regarding the initial oil change. I posted several notes to also indicate that there is a break-in additive in the initial fill. I just have to believe the Acura/Honda engineers know what they are doing. What it does...I do not know.

After the initial oil change...my plan is to change it at when it reads 20%...probably about 6,000 miles intervals. Figure that oil changes are cheap enough and over the course of 60,000 miles that would translate only into two additional oil changes. Chump change.

A few questions....which others can help on
    1) If I change my oil and reset the monitoring system...how will it effect the other servicing reminders (ie rotate tires, etc). So if I change the oil more often...does it goof the other reminders.

2) From real world experiences...when does everyone actually receive reminders and what does it tell you to perform at those intervals?

3) For oil changes...is everyone going to Acura for the change or outsider servicers? The real question is...should we trust the generic oil filters that the outsiders are using?

Thanks...
    1) If I change my oil and reset the monitoring system...how will it effect the other servicing reminders (ie rotate tires, etc). So if I change the oil more often...does it goof the other reminders.

I don't believe they're related. I got a little concerned that when my "Change oil now" message came on, it didn't alos ask me to rotate the tires. My plan was to have them do both anyway, and specifically ask them to reset taht tire rotation gauge. Anyway, the day before my appt, the tire rotation notice came on. My conclusion from this limited experience is that they are based on separate notifiers. I assume the Oil notification is based on oil level and some "dirt-sensor," while I expect the other stuff is based strictly on miles.

My plan is to change the oil when it says to, and if my book shows I'll need something else soon, I'll get that done too and ask them to reset the appropriate gauge.

3) For oil changes...is everyone going to Acura for the change or outsider servicers? The real question is...should we trust the generic oil filters that the outsiders are using?

That's a tough question. I went to Acura for my 1st, and I don't really trust the Jiffy Lubes/5-minute, $19.99 oil-change places of the world, but we had a good experience with the folks at our local Sears store and also had a good experience at a local tire salesplace that does minor services, so I'd be open to using them. I might talk to them about different filters, but I doubt it really makes a difference. For oil, though, I insist on fully-synthetic.
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    I'm trusting the sensor on my 04 TL (I'm at 7,300 now) so I have only changed it once at 4,700 when the % was at 20%. I will change it at 20% every time... my own idea...

As for the oil sensor... I was told that it measures the oil temerature... I guess as the viscosity of the oil breaks down, the temperature will rise.

I am only taking mine back to the dealer for everything... If anything happens, I do not want to hear that it was because someone else touched the car. I have the 6/75K extended...

With the technology in the car... I am not messing around. :sick: I figure for the extra $10.00 an oil change it is worth it in peace of mind! I spent $33,000, I guess I shouldn't penny pinch on the scheduled maintenance? And plus... there is a cuppichino machine in the waiting room of my Acura dealership and the girl at the cashier is pretty hot!!! :blush:
    Hot girl and drinks? I think I will change mine more often at the dealership.

Actually...the big thing with changing it at the dealer is the oil filter...as I don't in my mind believe all are the same. Not because filtration quality...but the pressure relief overflow...where the oil goes unfiltered if excess pressure is sensed. (someone confirm my thoughts).
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Free washes for life were promised with my wife's Lexus. As they put out a breakfast spread on Saturday mornings, that is usually when I take it in for the "Breakfast with Lexus" wash. And to watch the various ladies of the dealership go about their business. Unbelievable, the hiring manager has a very good eye for talent! Luckily the wife has no interest in my breakfast dates! And, of course, I'm 99.99% sure the Lexus Ladies have no interest in me... :cry:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Lexus dealerships may have the ladies.... But according to 'carnaught' post #2584 from yesterday...we should be fine with the digitized voice of "Trixie".
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    check the oil level religiously? I have found the TL (and other Honda V6 models) to burn so little oil that checking the oil level seems almost superfluous! I can't remember the last time I checked the oil and actually found the level has dropped! If anything, I worry about it being over the Max line. So to make sure it isn't, I try to check it first thing in the morning, or after the car has sat for many hours.
    I agree with your statement about taking it to the dealer for service, even the oil changes. I don't want them threatening to void the warranty because of errant work by another service provider. Actually, I think the price for the oil change is very reasonable at my local Acura dealer. I also agree with the assessment of oil filter quality. I'll stick with the Acura filter and I will not buy aftermarket filters for this car. I don't want to take any chances and potentially hurt this sweet engine!
    oh yeah... the TL.... I hate this miserable piece of junk!!... I hate it so much, I flew over to another city to get one!!... and then there's the 25 MPG in mixed driving with A/C on.... gosh, I so much miss my Expedition!!... if I only knew at what junkyard I left it at!! ;)
    I check my oil regularily for several purposes. First all cars will lose a bit of oil (I don't call it burn oil...as that would indicate a engine problem and a rapid loss of oil). And I really keep an eye on it after each oil change to ensure no leaks or other issues with a blown oil filter. But better yet...I keep an eye on the oil that is on the dipstick...to see if it is dirty beyond expectation (no...no...I know that it does turn black after time....and whether I need to step up the oil change. However...this might not be an issue with how the TL's maintenance reminder works).

Regarding the comment about changing the oil at the dealer. My major issue is the time to get an oil change at the dealer with the free wash. I really don't want to spend 1.25 hrs when I can get it done in 20 mins elsewhere. However...I will suffer the first few times and periodically there...why not...and check out the cars in their lot and the surrounding dealers.
    Well as far as your 3rd question concerns, I think any place would be good for an oil change... .BUT....after the oil change is done, make sure you check if there are no oil leaks (the drain plug is not tight enough), and that nothing is left open on the engine compartment. Do make sure to check all this even if you took your car to the dealership's service department. I've had a few experiences to share. Once I took my car to Wal-Mart where they did a tire rotation and an oil change, but then I opened the hood and noticed they left an open can of oil stuck in a corner of the engine compartment...and there was plenty of oil in it... A second time, I took my car to the dealership (not Acura, but Ford), and noticed there was a bit of oil dripping under the car.... turns out the plug was not tight enough, so it could have eventually fell off along with all the oil in the engine, and my engine would have gone "caput!"

So don't feel so confident if you take your car to the service department... just check the work for anything wrong just in case... that could save you a lot of trouble eventually. Otherwise the oil is the same anywhere you take your car. They will put in 10W-30 grade. If your car has more than 50k or 60k miles, you might want to put 10W-40 grade which has more viscosity.

Also about rotating your tires.... always mark your tires before they do the rotation... just in case they do the oil change, but "forget" to do the tire rotation because they got so many cars to work on...but still charge you for it.
    well that does it!! Might go do my oil changes at the dealership in that case.....there are no hot girls in Wal-Mart :mad:
    I forgot to mention that I also find the oil stays remarkably clean in the Honda V6's. I remember a CR-V we had, the oil would turn really dark about 1/2 half way between oil changes. Maybe the V6's don't have to work as hard, and there's less stress on the oil?
  • aztl2baztl2b Member Posts: 2
  • aztl2baztl2b Member Posts: 2
    Ready to purchase TL this weekend. Read some "consumer" review comments regarding wind noise at highway speeds(s). Neighbor (former '05 TL owner) indicated serious blind spot on driver's side. Comments appreciated.

Thanks
    I have not experienced any wind noice, unless you have the window down. :P And yes, look when changing lanes. :P
    No matter how I adjust my mirrors, I have a pretty big blind spot on my left due to the B-pillar (the one at the driver's left shoulder). I didn't know the blind spot was there, and in the first months of doing some blistering-acceleration merges onto the highway, I realized I wasn't seeing everyone out there. Yikes! I had to give a few "I'm sorry" waves to people. How embarrassing. :blush: Anyway, I now use the mirrors as well as look over my left shoulder before merging. Problem solved.

Yes, I noticed some wind noise at 110 MPH. ;) I think tire noise is more prevalent than wind noise, but that is to be expected with high performance tires and relatively aggressive suspension.
  • adunk23adunk23 Member Posts: 3
    Hello group-
    I am considering purchasing an Acura 2005 TL in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good dealer in the CT area. I was quoted at $31,500 w/o Nav, is this a fair price? Also, for those of you that have the Nav System, is it worth the extra couple grand? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, does it make more sense to wait until the 06 style?

Thanks
  • sl1288sl1288 Member Posts: 57
    With all due respect, your question should be in the pricing forum. That said, I had First Acura in Seekonk, MA agree to sell the TL w/out NAV for $31,000 and the TL w/ NAV for $32,800. I probably could have pushed them a little more on those prices. They have limited stock, but INSKIP in Warwick, RI has 25 TLs in stock and they will also make deals.
    Yes, I do have problems with "wind noise" from time to time, but it can usually be minimized by adjusting my diet! :blush: :P ;)

Seriously, the TL, IMO, is very quiet. Maybe not Lexus-quiet, but very quiet for a Honda product, even at highway speeds.
    One of the reasons I chose the TL over the G35x was the TL offered a smoother, quieter ride. Less road and wind noise. I won't count the engine snarl of the G because that sounded pretty good! Much, much less wind noise than my prior, beloved ride Chrysler 300M.

And like my M, the C pillar is pretty large, you just have to use your mirrors, eyes and neck properly for visibility!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mmorris5820mmorris5820 Member Posts: 2
    I recently read in a USAA insurance magazine on how to adujust your side mirrors. The article said that the majority of drivers have them set incorrectly. This is what they said on how to adjust them.
    Sitting in the drivers seat, lean your head over to the drivers window and adjust the left mirror so you can barely see the car. For the right mirror, lean to the middle of the car and adjust the mirror so you can barely see the car. This takes a little getting used to because you can't see behind you in these mirrors anymore, but it elliminates blind spots on the side of your car totally.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    If you want a smooth ride over bumpy roads the 05 TL isn't like the earlier, smoother riding TL's. It's not smooth over rough surfaces. Seats are a bit harder too.
    On the other hand, if you want a tight, sporty, fast,fun ride, that's the new 05 TL. I've got an 00TL and an 05TL and they ride and handle completely differently.
    Compared to my old Camry, the TL is almost as quiet, and the ride is actually smoother. With a 270 horses it can't be as quiet as a 190 hp Camry.
    Seats could use a bit more padding, agreed. And maybe another half inch length on the seat cushion, although I think I'm used to the seats now. M's were comfier, though.

Thanks for the comments regarding taking the car anywhere for oil changes. I agree. However...I probably won't do a WalMart as it defeats one thing which I attempt to avoid. Spending 1.5 hours for an oil change. (also...are you all saying the girls of Wal Mart are not hot with those smocks?)

To share more oil change horror stories... I had a friend who had a cronic oil leak not because of a loose oil nut. But rather because the oil nut was cranked too tight too many times. No matter if there is a new washer...it leaked. That stunk.

What I used to do for my cars is to buy Fram brand filters and hand it off to the oil change place. However...the places I have been going to...they don't accept outside parts.

I don't know if you noticed...but the oil viscosity for a TL is something like a 5w-20. I have forgotten the exact...but it is much lighter.

Rotating tires....that is a good topic. How often is everyone rotating tires? Waiting for the rotation indications? How often is that? Wouldn't a more frequent rotation of every oil change (say 7k) make the tires last longer?
    I think the drivers seat is perfect, but the passenger's side seat is not as comfy.
    Ahh...the old question about wind noise and visibility.

Wind noise.... I have a 2005 and absolutely no whistling. What is even more amazing is when I have my moonroof tilted up...there isn't even any (I think when I look at the moonroof...there is a 'skirt' that is on its edges). I also think that the whistling and any wind noise would be pretty tough to enter into a TL. Next time open the doors of the TL and you will see TWO...yes....TWO sets of door gaskets.

Also regarding noise in the cabin...it should be much more quite than most cars. Next time partially roll down the windows and notice the extra thickness of the windows. It is almost as quite as my BMW 7.

Blind spots. Ok...this is my take. There will be blind spots in any car if you don't turn your head. And there will be visibility issues with almost any car (unless you drive a GMC Pacer) until you get used to the car. Yes the rear back pillar is thicker...but you will and should get used to it once you drive your car. Yes the rear driver side will be difficult...until you get used to your car. It is like how a new mattress feels either too soft or too firm until you sleep in it a few nites...or how a new pair of shoes....you get the message. So overall...use common sense no matter in driving whatever car you choose.
    Anyone (ever) have a grinding sound when tilting up the moonroof? Sound also occurs when starting to slide the roof. Could it be a lubrication problem with the track?
    Yes the doors are very thick, heavy, and large like a coupe. This makes getting in and out of the car easy, especially for me with a bad back. :)
    Thanks for that information. I had learned that maybe 2-3 years ago, I think in a Tom and Ray column. That is the way I had adjusted the mirrors on my Camaro, and with tremendous success, I might add. I love to drive with my mirrors and just use peripheral vision so that I don't take my eyes off of the road ahead. For some reason, maybe it is just my driving position, I can't totally eliminate blind spot on the left side of my TL. The right side works perfectly for me.
    I had that problem with my sunroof. It mainly happened with tilt, not with full retraction of the sunroof. I addressed it with my last oil change. They put silicone or something similar on the track and around the sunroof glass seal. Problem eliminated.
    Perfect, something to tell my service dept. when they say "it's normal".
    Thanks,
  • adunk23adunk23 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks
  • jsl1jsl1 Member Posts: 2
    I just found this board while looking to see if others had the same problem we just had last night, so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. Last night, my teenage daughter was driving our 2003 TL on a highway at about 60 mph when she heard a strange sound. As she was pulling onto the shoulder, she saw one of the tires rolling down the hill on the side of the highway. The tire came completely off the right rear wheel. Luckily she had a friend with her who could put the donut on & they got home okay. I'm just so grateful that she still wasn't going 60 mph when it happened. I've never seen anything like this -- the only rubber on the wheel was around the edges. The main part of the tire just totally dropped off the wheel. There was no damage to the right front wheel, which I assume would have had a problem if she had run over something. She said it did sound like she hit something, but in retrospect (since there was no damage to the front tire) I'm thinking that what she first heard was the tire beginning to rip off. I'm assuming there was a defect in the tire, and the rest of those Michelins are making me very nervous. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks for any input you can give me. (PS - I posted this on the CL forum by mistake. Our car really is a TL)
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Sounds like your daughter experienced a "run flat". This is where a tire encouters an object that damages the tire and lets the air out (might be as simple as a puncture) and then the tire is operated without inflation pressure. The result of this is 3 pieces - 2 sidewalls and the tread, typically the tread is missing. There are a couple of other permutations.

The sound she heard might have been the tire encountering the object that did the damage. The sure way to tell is to look at the part of the tire that you don't have.

BTW it is possible - even preferred - to have the tire absorb the damage rather than the rim. Alloy rims are fairly expensive.

Hope this helps.
    did she have "retreaded" tires? When tires are retread, new treads are glued onto new tires. When done correctly, the tire is as good as a new tire, but when done incorrectly, the tread can come unglued.

If you've ever seen strips of black rubber lying in the highway, it's probably the tread from a retread tire.
  • sitheadsithead Member Posts: 3
    I have a acura 2004 TL , does anyone have or had a problem hanging up the phone .I can not seem to hang up the phone .I am not sure if I should disconnect the battery................ any advice ........ On my dash board it says( in use ) my radio will not work because the phone is in use.........THX
    Yup, look back as I've posted on this as has one or two others. It eventually will hang up either with giving it time, turning off the phone (even then once it didn't work for me) and another time when "re-booting" (shut the car off and restarted it).
  • frankman1frankman1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Acura TL with 5,800 miles. Each time I have gone awayfor a couple of days (between 2 & 1/2 to 4 days), my car battery is completely 100% dead. Anyone experience this and what is the problem and the fix??? :confuse:
    I don't have a fix, but do have a suggestion. Next time you go away, open the hood and disconnect the battery (you may need a wrench or pliers to loosen the connection). You will lose your presets and memory seat settings. If you have navigation, I don't know what'll happen to your saved points of interest, but there'll be no way for the battery to run down.

If the car still doesn't start when you return and reconnect the battery, that would indicate the problem is with the battery holding its charge. If the car does start, then you know there's something draining the battery.