Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I would take it to the dealer. Let them figure out the problem. For a $32,000 almost new car, they'd better.

Don't let them tell you this is a 'normal' characteristic. :mad:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I recall owners have posted previously about their TL's batteries going dead. You may want to do a search for those earlier posts.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    It could be (one of?) the computer modules. Specically, note the outside temperature guage reading. If it is reading --- instead of an actual temp, then the theory is that the sensor/computer will keep reading for a valid temp even after you shut down the car, draining the battery. Usually rebooting the car resets the temp guage, but if you left the car with the --- reading for a few days, maybe this theory is true for you?

I had this issue (car/battery never died, though), in addition to the temp reading --- I would lose some of my set preferences (e.g. CC temp setting, some radio presets), they would revert to (I assume) factory settings.

I had the module changed at my A1 service, Acura had to order the module and keep the car overnight (even though I had basically told them what had to be done two weeks before the appointment! But I had a TL loaner, so not a huge deal) and the issue hasn't surfaced since. But, it has only been a couple of weeks.

BTW: Took a 170 mile road trip yesterday. I think I was averaging abound 30mpg doing 75-80+mph! What a great combo of performance and economy!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• 32tlacura32tlacura Member Posts: 2
    Everytime I fill up at the station(acura 2005 tl) , with the on board computer noting a range of only 20-30 miles left, the maximum is always around 14 gals. Is the computer playing it safe(3 gal reserve) or is the real tank capacity only 14 gals? Any info appreciated. :confuse:
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Well....the reason is that the tank capacity may be 17 gals...but I would anticipate that there has to be a reserve amount to allow the fuel system to operate. That is...I would say that it requires two gallons to be within the tank so that it can function without failure or risk.

Also...I don't believe it is absolutely necessary to be a daredevil and go to fumes. You will want the fuel to be consistently fed into the fuel system to avoid backfires and any other bad things...including burning out your fuel pump (typically the fuel also acts as a fuel pump coolant).

Any case....I would suggest filling up when the computer says it is time. Not much difference in miles on one gallon.
  • sundance2sundance2 Member Posts: 23
    We purchased our 2004 TL one year ago and with one exception, it has been a fine automobile. We are longtime Honda Accord owners with a string of these cars dating back to 1982 when they were first built in Ohio. There are now 16,000 happy miles on the TL.

The ride and handling of the TL with the Bridgestone Turanza's was not up to what we had experienced in our Accords. It was overly harsh, rough to the point of transmitting all kinds of road noise into the cabin and drifted on the Turnpike.

Contact with our great dealer and Acura customer care revealed this was a frequent complaint of TL owners. In the 2005 TL models with NAV, Acura switched to Michelin tires and we asked for and received the offer to remove the Bridgestone's and mount Michelin's with we to pay any difference in OEM cost.

We did this and it was like a miracle had happened. The ride improved dramatically and at last we had the car we wanted. Our dealer said they have done this with other TL owners and wondered just how long Honda would stick with Bridgestone. Perhaps when the 2006 models come out soon they will have abandoned them. I would not purchase any new Acura that had Bridgestone tires on it as I know now this is a major problem with Honda and they are very reluctant to deal with it.

While this was my experience, this is not to say others have had no problems with the Bridgestone tires.
    Michelins are the way to go. Refer to a post today by another person regarding the Michelins Pilots getting 49,000 miles with excellent performance.
  • smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    Recently drove on a dirt, or should i say dust road. i'm still trying to get the dirt out of the door and trunk seems. But it also deposited on the lower edge around the gas cap. you'll see, especially on the lower left, that this is a great place for water and dirt to sit... and sit. I realized that this was the same configuration of my old 93 acura legend- which went rust crazy starting from the lower gas cap compartment. I considered putting some insulation puddy or something to occupy that gap, just so water won't collect and sit there. any other suggestions??
  • smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    I've read of others here with wind noise and i can say that i've only experienced it at highway speeds on windy days. But it is rather high pitched and can be heard over the radio. Seems to be coming more from the windshield up front. Has anyone put anything or deflectors on their wipers that may have helped?
    Just make sure to wash your car well...including the area you mentioned....and it should not rust. Also...look around at other Acruas on the road...I didn't notice many with rust in the area.

Putting putty there may actually make things worst as moisture would accumulate between the putty and metal.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    My Bridgestones ('04 TL) are very choppy and hard riding. Dealer says "normal". They balanced them, no change, no option for purchasing the Michelins.

Consider yourself lucky.
    From what we learned, all the dealers and Honda/Acura are well aware of the problem. Ours were also very choppy and hard riding. We also have an 03 Accord EX V6 with Michelin tires and it rode so much better than the TL with Bridgestone's. In my frustration, I had even told the Acura dealer I would trade this new TL, take my financial loss, and get another Accord V6 just to get rid of the poor ride and handling. But in the end, the new Michelin's fixed all that.

I would suggest you record your complaint with Acura Customer Care, who provided the cost for replacement Bridgestone's and we paid the additional cost for the OEM Michelin's now standard on 05 TL NAV cars. Our Acura dealer installed and balanced the new Michelin's without charge, as they have done for others.

I just cannot tell you adequately how much this improved the ride and handling. Good luck in pursuing this but be firm and do not take no for an answer. Tell them you are aware Acura has been offering this to others and you want it too.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I have about 13.000 miles on my Bridgestones. Do you think I stand a chance at getting them replaced?

Also, how much is the cost difference to the OEM Michelins?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I also have a 2004 tl with approximately 10k on a new set of Bridgestone EL-42 tires. The tread on the tires is almost gone. I think I can get another 5k before I have to buy new tires.

I will not buy another set of Bridgestone EL-42. Can someone with experience suggest a good brand that will provide a quiet, smooth and a longer lasting set of tires. I think I would like to get at least 25k to 30k out of a set of tires.

tx,
    Refer to the "Acura Care and Maintenance" forum for further discussions regarding tires.

I was recommending the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (even has a higher 'speed rating' of 'Y' )....and several others were in agreement that you will get more than 30k miles.

Wow...you must be making some pretty harsh power moves to be experiencing that type of treadwear.
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    Lehigh Valley Acura in PA near Allentown. Rte 78 off of Jersey Turnpike. I paid $30,800 w/o nav. Ask for Elizabeth in sales. Tell her F. Cerauli sent you...
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I had Michelins on my Camry for 80,000, is the reason you have to change tires after such little miles, is because of the low profile tires, or just a heavy foot. :cry:
    We had about 10,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone's and had been complaining to the dealer ever since we bought the TL. The Michelin's they put on were the new OEM Pilot's being used on the 05 TL with NAV and the cost was about $200. We have had Michelin MXV's on our several V6 Accords and got excellent wear, often nearing 60,000 miles. We are not hard on our cars at all so that probably makes a difference too.

I have not seen the 06 TL models yet to see if Honda/Acura finally took those Bridgestone's off all TL's but the RL has Michelin tires. Both the Acura TL and Accord are made in Marysville, OH so Honda of America must be up to their ears with tire complaints by now. Last week my Acura dealer said it was their number one complaint on the TL. Even the Honda dealer where we take our Accord was aware of the problem.
    Now 60,000 miles is at least what I expect from my tires. But I keep seeing posts where people are only getting 20 to 30k from thier tires, that is unacceptable to me :cry:
    I get such little miles because I don't have enough of a heavy foot going around the circle ramps to the freeway...I have this awesome downward spiral ramp to get to work. Wheeee.

I fear what I am hearing about the current OEM stock tires on the TL. However...so far I have not hated them as much as others have indicated. I will be happy to get 25k.

Wow....80k Michelins on a Camry? Well...my past cars I average about 40k with "H" speed rated tires...little less than 40k with "V" rated. So I guess my "W" rated will be perhaps 35k?

I am far from new tires for the TL...but I probably will do the Michelins I mentioned. Pay a little more...but they should last much longer...with improved performance. Still...I wish others would recommend other tires for my consideration.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Who gives a rat's a** about crappy Bridgestones? Get the superior Michelins and call it a day.
    Well said. But when you pay this much for a passenger car whose ride comfort and pleasure is below its lesser sibling (Accord V6), then the manufacurer has a duty to address the problem, and Honda of America has been very reluctant to deal with this.

Hopefully, all the 06 TL's, not just the NAV models, will have the Michelin's as standard. I am sure this would make my dealer very happy as they too want this problem put to rest.

BTW, we see you are in Canada. Sure wish the USA models would have running lights and low washer warnings like you do. My dealer says they cannot be ordered as a dealer installed option. We ran out of fluid last week and thought there was a malfunction until we looked in the manual and noted this was only on Canadian models. We rented a Camry last year on a vacation and it had a light switch setting that would turn on its running lights. Listen up Honda!
    sundance2 or those with OEM Michelin Pilots.......how many miles are expected from the tires and describe the improvement in the ride and performance.

I have never been a Bridegestone fan...and a Michelin fan with all my cars.

Thanks.
  • rob_passatrob_passat Member Posts: 13
    My TL has fog lights. Does this amount to the same thing as running lights?

As for washer fluid low warning, I am surprised that is not included. It must be rather costly to have the feature on Canadian models and not US models. Perhaps the spot for the warning is taken up with something that is required for US models.

In northern winter conditions low washer fluid is a safety concern.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    foglights are diffeent from daytime running lights. Technically, I think daytime running lights are mosre similar to a lower-wattage regular lights that are on all the time. I think it's more similar to have your parking lights on, as far as brightness.
  • unctarheel1unctarheel1 Member Posts: 19
    just wondering if anyone could lend a word?

i parked my 05 TL on an incline the other day and set the parking brake, when i came back i released the parking brake and when i switched the tranny from P to R, there was a semi-loud noise that i've never heard before, i played around with it a little more (switching to D and then back to P) but when i switched to R again i heard the sound, this happen to anybody else?
    I have not heard that sound in my TL...but I am guessing that is the typical sound you hear from an autotranny when it is parked on a slope...and the "pin" is engaged a little tighter than average. It shouldn't have caused any harm.

Just make sure to check the tranny fluid to make sure you are fine on that. And if you hear the sound persist...have the Acura dealer check it out.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Sounds like your battery is bad and needs to be replaced as it is not keeping the charge.... go get another battery.
  • autodrivenautodriven Member Posts: 16
    Hello: I have an '04 Acura TL. These Bridgestone Turanza EL42 are the worst tires I've ever had. There is a "formal" service bulletin that Corporate Honda issued on these Turanzas. In my situation, they replaced with a new set of Turanzas (suppose to have a new compound). This "new compound" is completely bogus; meaning the tires are just as bad. They still "flat spot" and it takes 4-7 miles to work the tire round. After getting my second set and asking the dealer to replace them for a another set of tires, I had the dealer buy me "Toyo Proxes 4 - All Season High Performance Tires". These tires have been wonderful!! They have been the #1 selling tire in Japan for now 8 years in a row. The also ranked #1 in quality construction for those 8 years. Finally Toyo has a 45 day/500 mile trial period where you can test drive the tires. If you aren't satisfied you can simply return them.

I got four of the Proxes 4 tires on my TL. They are quiet and have a great looking profile to them. Many people have commented about these tires on my car. Most importantly, I got rid of the flat spotting problem and now the car drives so much nicer. Good Luck!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It's odd that I've never experienced flat-spotting or rough ride with the EL42s, on both my TL, and an Accord that my wife had previously, and my TL sometimes sit for days (if I take the bus to go to work). They're not the best tires for wet traction, nor for wear durability, but they ride smooth enough.
    I haven't noticed any flat spotting either. Perhaps because I am on the West Coast and in a warmer climate?

Either case...I am going with the Michelins in the future.
    I have always had good luck with Michelins and highly recommend them.
    My major issue with the Turanzas are their very poor snow performance. I believe that mine do flat spot. I will run with them 'till their time has come, then switch to something else. I'll probably use Tire Rack and these forums for ideas.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I was in the Central Valley in CA and it was hot (105), and the TL AC did not do a very good job. My '96 Camry had a much better and cooler AC. Anyone living in Phoenix or Vegas should forget about the TL. :cry:
    here in FLA it gets hot, too, and my TL always cools things down quickly. Try opening all the windows by holding the "unlock" button down to release some of the hotter air inside. It's not unusual for my car temp control to read 95 in the shade or 110 in the sun. It still finds a way to keep me confortable.
    My Camry shot out cold air imediatly, my TL doesn't, it really is a big negative. I live in San Francisco, this is not a problem, but I still advise people in Phoe or Vegas to buy a Camry or Lexus for strong AC.
    Here in Boston, we've had a stretch of the 3H's, my TL CC set to 72-74 degrees has had no problem keeping me comfy...

Car and Driver's latest issues compared a bunch of exotics I can't afford (unless Frisco adopts me...) and one of the complaints with the Aston Martin DB9 was weak AC. Yet if FriscoNIck would buy me one, I would still graciously accept it weak AC and all.

• armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Have you tried to manually increase the fan speed (take it off Auto) - it makes a big difference in how fast the car cools.
    LOL :P

I only adopt women. ;)

The weak AC in the TL is stunning compared to my old Camry. Yes I have turned up the fan to full blast, and still weak cooling. I love my TL, just not in hot weather. :cry:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    You know, the a/c is not one of my complaints with the TL. It actually freezes me out (set @74 degrees) with Vegas heat.

Is your a/c malfunctioning?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Thank you for your reply.

How much are they and how long will they last?
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I put Continental Extremes on my '04 TL and like them a lot.
  • rob_passatrob_passat Member Posts: 13
    105 wow.

The hottest temp we have had this summer was 102. The TL did fine.

I prefer the way the TL gently approaches cooling off the interior instead of the arctic blast that comes out of most cars. Is this what you are complaining about?
    Yes, this is my compaint. I was born and raised in San Francisco, and the temps here are cool, almost all year. Sunny California, San Francisco is NOT. So when driving in hot weather I want an arctic blast. :P
  • jlb5jlb5 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased my 05 TL in March and I love it. I just took it in for the 7500 mile service and had problems with vibrations after i left. I took it back to the dealership to determine what the problem was. I was told I had 2 wheels that were damaged. One needed attention that day but I am holding off on replacing the 2nd one for now. I can not believe how weak these rims appear to be. I do not purposely drive down the road looking for pot holes but at the same time, it should be able to take some dumps. I have already paid $320 for 1 new Acura rim but I'm not sure I really want to invest another $320 in a second rim to replace it if the Acura rims are not better than this. Has anyone else had problems? Thinking of buying after market rims instead of Acura's.
    I purchased my TL with Nav online and had great success. I enjoy my Nav and I use it more than I ever thought I would.
    Help me understand please.

Before you went in...no vibrations. After you went in for service...vibration and bent rim? :confuse:

What the heck was done during your servicing? I'll make sure not to pay extra for that at my Acura dealer.
    Yes...no vibrations before going in. Once the service was done which include tire rotation came all the vibration. They never noticed the bent rims on the original service it was only after I brought it back I was told that rotating the tires would cause the vibrations if there were damage to the rims. Okay, fine I guess I can live with that but what concerns me is that I have never had a car have rims mess up like these and I don't drive it any differently. Just seems to me these rims are not as good of quality which is disappointing. Other than the rims though, I love my car and have had no other problems and of course they aren't covered under any warranty.

Nothing extra done...just appears to be poor quality rims.
    just appears to be poor quality rims

Appears to be poor quality service!
    I am not doubting your assessment...but I am not getting how there was no vibration before going in for service.....then POOF...vibration.

My thoughts.... It could very well be that once your tires were rotated...the tires coming from the rear into the front were either out of balance or they had a flat spot. That does happen and that is why it is important to not only rotate tires...but to have them balanced.

Did the servicer tried to balance the tires or even 'shaved' the tires or even tried to 'un-rotate' (as in returning the tires to their original positions) before selling you rims?

Also...in regards to bent rims. Generally pretty darn tough to damage a rim from hitting something straight on. That is running over stuff at high speeds. The major cause would be by driving over major potholes...which you would definitely know of. Other cause would be when you are hitting the curb hard when parking.

Any case...I am not questioning you...but wonder if the servicer did indeed troubleshoot correctly. Anybody else had bent rims out there? I have had five Acuras and not one....and very easy to get the wheel balanced.