Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• semezsemez Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone tried to use a lower octane gas in their 05 TL? If so what were your experiences?
  • jlb5jlb5 Member Posts: 5
    Did the servicer tried to balance the tires or even 'shaved' the tires or even tried to 'un-rotate' (as in returning the tires to their original positions) before selling you rim?

No they didn't do any of this. They took me to see the car and show me the wheel. The car was lift in the air and with the tire spinning their was a complete wobble while the tire was turning. They told me then my rim was bad and most of my vibration was coming from this particular rim. They then showed me the other rim but said I could hold off and see if the vibration was still too much. If it was then to come back, if not then I would need to replace that rim the next time I had my car serviced and tired rotated because the 2nd rim is currently on the back but will move to the front.

I'll admit, I have some knowledge of cars but not the specifics so maybe I should have made them do those things had I know about them. I wonder now if I just got ripped off.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Shhhs...I hate to say I don't think it was the rims....even when they did put the car on the lift and spun the tire...an out of balanced wheel will flutter. (know that all tires will go out of balance over time, wear, and mileage...just because they were balanced once doesn't mean they stay true for life. Buy tires from Costco...and they will rotate and balance for free)

Sounds like you replaced one rim and still have another that has a slight flutter. Go ahead and get that wheel balanced and I am sure you will see an improvement. Remember....even if you get it rebalanced...it will not be absolutely stone perfect...there will always be a slight movement.

Also...another thing to keep in mind for the future...since we are talking about maintenance. When replacing brakes in the future...don't just change the brake pads...but have the rotors resurfaced. Reason is that if there is an imperfection on the rotor...it will immediately create an issue where you will feel a vibration from etching an imperfection on the brake pad surface.

You might want to consider taking your car to an alternate Acura dealership for future servicing. They aren't that great at troubleshooting.
  • jlb5jlb5 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I will have to go to this dealership unless they continue to with these bad patterns. When I purchased the car in March I went ahead and paid for all my service up front for the first 45.000 miles. I was trying to avoid unexpected situations and thought it would be easier to just pay it all up front. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea either. I thought I finally got the car I have been looking at for a year. It's the nicest car I have ever had and I really wanted to take good care of it. I do drive alot of miles so I purchased the extented warranty and maintance program up front. You spend this kind of money you want to take care of it especially since cars depreciate enough on there own. I do believe though for the balancing of the tires I'll take it somewhere else just to get another opinion since I'll have to pay for it anyway.
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    I have been using 89 octane in my 04 TL. I have found that it idles smoother with the 89 and the svcs manager said that running it on 89 is absolutely fine to do. Hope this helps! :shades:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    My '04 knocks with 89 octane, loud and clear with a window down, not heard with the window up.
  • hutershuters Member Posts: 7
    First, I must say that I LOVE THIS CAR!! 04TLw/Nav. 22,000+ miles @ 26mpg ... what's not to like.

One thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is the outside temperature sensor, or some part of that circuit. Mine consistantly reads 10+ degrees high. Today, after about 30 minutes on the highway it was still reading 95 degrees when the OAT was 83 degrees. Any suggestions? Dealer tells me this is within acceptable limits, but I've never seen another car that was this far off.

Steve
    Easy fix...which I am surprised the dealer didn't suggest.

Look at your owners manual...and you can adjust and recalibrate your temp readings. If you are consistently 10 degrees off...then adjust your readout by the same then you will be all fixed-up and ready to go.
    Easy fix...which I am surprised the dealer didn't suggest.

Look at your owners manual...and you can adjust and recalibrate your temp readings. If you are consistently 10 degrees off...then adjust your readout by the same then you will be all fixed-up and ready to go.

Glad you are enjoying your TL.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    "......it was strill reading 96 degrees when the OAT was 83 degrees."......"Dealer tells me rhis is within acceptable limits, but...."

Hmmmm, sounds like another version of, "that's normal" which Acura dealers are trained to say (LOL).
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Do you park outside in the sun? If so, I believe the sun beeting down on it may increase the temp reading excessively. I guess this could also happen if the sun beats on the car while driving.
  • bsg64bsg64 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '05 TL with less than 10k miles on it. My wife used it for a business trip (45 miles each way). On the way back she call to tell me the A/C was blowing nothing but hot air. When I got home and drove the car it was fine. As I discussed the issue with my wife, I discovered that she had come home with the shifter in "manual" mode, but had not realized it. As a result, she had driven the 45 miles on the highway primarily in 3rd gear (I checked and it seems that in manual mode it won't let you get too close to red-line - thank goodness!). I've two questions:

1) what's the chance my wife did any meaningful damage to the engine or transmission running at high revs for so long?
    2) is it possible that the high revs just overheated the A/C compressor and that's why it died on her but seems to work now?

All thoughts appreciated!

By the way - I took the time tonight to more fully explain the transmission to her. Her MDX does not have the "manual" option.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I have an 05 TL and I've noticed there is an outline (indentation) on the dashboard where the passenger air bag is located. Any one else have this and is there a fix? It's pretty noticeable. Looks like the dash is sinking into the airbag compartment. Why didn't Acura just use the normal lid on the dash of the airbag? Also, the dash appears to be fading? I inquired and Acura said there is nothing that can be done - all of this is normal, they said. :confuse:

I looked at the airbag compartment on a TSX and it was perfect no marks, etc... What's up?
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    The sun visors are too short, had difficult to dislodge from the clamp, real cheap. :cry:
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I posted before about this, but thought I'd try again in the hope that someone had since seen something similar:

Steering resistance (effort) is much higher when turning right than when turning left at steady speed (i.e., not a torque steer problem). Right turns can be so heavy I really have to pull the car around, whereas the car just falls into left turns. Tires -- Bridgestone EL42s -- have been rotated and subsequently relaced with similar. Handling balance (oversteer/understeer) and roadholding seem to be unaffected -- it's a matter of feel. All alignment readings including caster are normal. The dealer states over the phone that a problem exists, but that it is not severe enough to fall outside normal operating parameters. They won't back me up in getting the Acura regional rep to replace any parts to remedy the problem -- won't commit to writing, although there was some mention of replacing the power steering rack if they could swap one out of a demonstrator. The car, bought new, is now 13 months old. Anyone any ideas? Otherwise I love the car.

Many thanks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Actually the manual mode will only automatically upshift to 2nd, so your wife may have been driving all the way home in 2nd gear with the revs bouncing off the limiter. it's odd she didn't notice anything unusual because when you're hitting the rev limiter I think the engine will cut in and out, not very smooth! Perhaps she had inadvertently push the shifter into manual mode after she got up to highway speed, in which case she would have been ok (until or unless she had to stop, at which time the tranny would downshift to 1st).

But I don't think any serious damage was done in any case. I don't even think running the engine at high revs would overheat the AC compressor.
    Bummer what happened there with running the car in manual mode. Well...a few suggestions. First....I would check the tranny fluid to see how it is doing. Second...you probably will want to flush the tranny fluid a bit sooner than average. Instead of the 60k (I believe that is the recommendation for the TL)...I would maybe do it at 20-30k. As for the motor oil...might want to consider changing that a little sooner also.

As for the A/C blowing hot air...it could be very possible that 1) she has demonstrated she was not aware how to use the gear shifter 2) not knowing how to use the gear shifter may also bode that she does not know how to operate your A/C.
    Bummer what happened there with running the car in manual mode. Well...a few suggestions. First....I would check the tranny fluid to see how it is doing. Second...you probably will want to flush the tranny fluid a bit sooner than average. Instead of the 60k (I believe that is the recommendation for the TL)...I would maybe do it at 20-30k. As for the motor oil...might want to consider changing that a little sooner also.

As for the A/C blowing hot air...it could be very possible that 1) she has demonstrated she was not aware how to use the gear shifter 2) not knowing how to use the gear shifter may also bode that she does not know how to operate your A/C.

Good luck...
    I am not doubting you...but could it be harder to turn right vs left because you are right side dominant...hence when you turn left you have more leverage? That is...your right side of your body is stronger than the left?
    Hey, D - I've seen you do double-postings - usually to add a nice sign-off to your posts. You should know that for a short time after you put in a post, you can go back and edit it.

Happy posting! :shades:
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    Delmar:

This is the second time I have read a post that says you can recalibrate the outside temperature setting with instructions from the owners manual. I have an '04 TL and I have not been able to find the instructions. :confuse: Please tell me which page, or maybe post the instructions. Thanks! :)
    I had the understanding that the manual mode will not let anything bad happen to the engine or transmission. It will override and either upshift or downshift to prevent damage. However, I'll bet she was running some pretty high RPMs while in 3rd gear.

Secondly, most performance cars will cut off the air conditioning compressor when you are running at the upper end of RPMs. The reason is, if you are at the upper end of RPMs, it is obvious you are looking for maximum power, so the compressor is temporarily cut off to prevent that power drain. I wonder if the combination of maual mode and high RPM cut off the a/c compressor. If so, it should act normal now.
    Thanks to all for the replies. I think you may be right about the computer cutting off the compressor for more power - I'll try to find out if the TL has that feature. I had no problems at all with the A/C driving in and the car seems no worse for the (extra) wear.
    For what its worth, when I picked up my 05 TL last October my dealer recommended I use regular and not premium. I have actually tried all grades have never noticed any knocking.
    Just found this on hondanews.com under technical specs for the 05 TL:

A variety of safety features help protect the engine and drivetrain from damage. The transmission will upshift from first to second automatically if the driver doesn't command an upshift in time. In second, third and fourth, the transmission won't upshift without a command from the driver; the ECU cuts off fuel flow to the engine if there is danger of over-revving the engine. The transmission will upshift itself to prevent engine damage in the rare situation where the fuel cutoff alone is unable to prevent further engine over revving (as could happen on a steep downhill). When downshifting, the transmission won't execute a driver-commanded downshift that would send the engine beyond redline in the lower gear. To prevent lugging away from a stop in a high gear, the Sequential SportShift transmission will automatically downshift to first gear as it comes to a stop, even in manual mode.

Sure explains a lot, though I have no idea how she failed to notice. When she called me from the road she was asking about the A/C. It was only after I got home that night that she mentioned it was shifting funny!
    I went running (maybe just a fast walk) out to my car to read up on how to recalibrate my outside temp sensor. I shuffled, head down, back to my desk after I could not find any instructions on how to do it. The only reference to the temp sensor I can find is on page 63 of the owners manual, and really just tells you its there. Do you have more information?? Really would like to eliminate this minor, but annoying, issue.

THANKS, Steve
    Ah...yeah...thanks for noticing. What happened is that somehow the edmunds site hick-uped several times and booted me out...then somehow picked up a double post. Thanks for the suggestion....
    No problem. I know about it b/c I'm always thinking "Man, I wish I hadn't said that!" If only Edmunds' edit features worked in real life!!! :cry:
    For the instructions to recalibrate the outside temp...let me get back to you. I drove my land boat in today and did not drive my TL so I don't have my manual. But if I recall...it is in the computer's driver setup...and you just scroll through. However..that is on my 2005 TL.
    bsg64....besides no knocking...what has been your experience with MPG?

Do you think the sales guy recommended regular because he was attempting to close the deal when he heard your preference for a lower cost fuel source?
  • sacdriversacdriver Member Posts: 33
    I have had a problem with my '05 TL from day one. The trunk lid will not stay up whenever I am on even the slightist incline.The few times that it has, it has slammed down on my head or back as soon as I put anything in the trunk. Acura replaced a spring, but that did not fix the problem at all. Now they are telling me it is the way the car is designed. Now who would design a car so that the trunk lid falls down on the owner's head? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am thinking of reporting it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    With your trip computer area showing the outside temp press and hold the select/reset button until the car starts to beep and you see where the temp is displayed -3 -2 -1 or 1 2 3 When you get to the desired number let go of the button. you can only adjust the temp reading 3 degrees + or - . I hope this info helps. I found it by accident when I was trying to reset my oil life.
  • sundance2sundance2 Member Posts: 23
    We have had record heat here in Ohio with many days over 90. We set the TL on auto and 72 degrees and it will freeze you out on these hot days. Suggest you have your dealer service your AC.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Don't let them give you the 'It's Normal" line. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mine opens and stays up as it should. I can't recall if I have been on an incline, but it certainly shouldn't close on you.

However, I do notice the 'balance' is pretty light (IE, easy to overcome and close), so perhaps too high an incline can sent it past the balance point. But, not at slight inclines.

Have you called Acura (not the dealer)?
    bhelsdon,

Thanks for your help. I will try that tonight, but I don't think that -3 degrees is going to get me where I need to be. Is everyone else's temp's reading correctly???
    Among other problems with my '05 TL was the temperature was showing just three dashes whenever it got hot outside. It also seems to show about 5 degrees hotter than actual. The dealer replaced the sensor, but advised me the temperature being shown is the temperature of the asphalt, not of the ambient air outside. Do I care what the temperature of the asphalt is? Another idiotic response by this dealer.
    Do I care what the temperature of the asphalt is?

You do if you're walkin' barefoot!!! :D Seriously though, folks, I believe what he is saying is that the sun "bakes" the car, much like it bakes the asphalt, so it's going to be hotter than actual.

the temperature was showing just three dashes

How hot would you estimate it to be? I could see that happening if the temp only goes to 110 and the actual temp was over 110.
    The sensor is located in front of the radiator. If the car has been idling,(like in traffic) for and extended period of time in extreme temps it is normal for the sensor to read hotter than it actually is. The sensor is picking up heat from the engine and off the road. In extreme heat the temp reading is only accurate at cruising speed. 85% of the cars on the road with outside temp sensors suffer from the same problem.

As far as the 3 dashes, I have only seen that once in my TL. That was in 100 degree temps and I was stuck in traffic for an hour. I watched the temp move from 100 all the way to 114 and then it showed me the 3 dashes. When I got back up to cruising speed it came back on at about 112 degrees.

IMO the 3 dashes come on when the computer knows that it is not accurate.
    Is it that you can only adjust +/- 3 degree each reset? If so, then could you not repeat the process several times until you've reached the desired setting?
    The temperature here today was about 98. I can understand the three dashes if it occurs when I first start the car and then disappears after 10 minutes of driving. But it doesn't. The three dahses can come on while I'm driving on the freeway at 75 MPH. This problem first showed up when the temps were in the high 80's here. It eventually (maybe 20 minutes later) will show a temperature. People live in deserts where temperatures are typically are 115-120 degrees. Are TL's built only for people who live in Washington or Oregon? Putting the temperature sensor in front of the radiator is stupid (in my opinion)- I want an ambient air temperature.

I've had outside temperature monitors on Lincolns and Buicks for years and have never had this problem.
    I lived in Phoenix a couple of years and temps over 110 are very commen. I was there when it hit 122! :cry:
    You would think so, but It will only let you go 3 degrees in either direction. I tried that this past winter and the computer seems to know a middle point and only lets it vary 3 degrees.
    re delmar1's comment: "I am not doubting you...but could it be harder to turn right vs left because you are right side dominant...hence when you turn left you have more leverage? That is...your right side of your body is stronger than the left?"

Good point. I tried various things to compensate for that possibility, including left and right turns using just my my left hand, just my right, just a couple of fingers on the wheel, etc.. It does seem that the problem is intermittent in severity. Some days it's not really noticeable, some days very pronounced.

Other comments: One characteristic of the car is that the steering does naturally load up in turns at speed. Some cars load up as you move into the turn and then tend to neutralize as the turn becomes steady state -- the Acura is not like that. There's also some lightness, nervousness and instability around dead center (as opposed to in turns) at speed. To drive the car fast you must stay on top of it -- don't mess with coffee cups, cell phones or CDs or you'll likely find yourself in a ditch. With electronic throttle, manual transmission, steering you have to stay on top of, snatchy clutch and front-heavy front wheel drive, it's not an easy car to drive cleanly and smoothly. It rewards technique.
    After living with the car for a year, I'm not sure that the criticism of these tires is warranted. They bite hard on winding country roads which had my old GTi's Contis squealing at the same speed. They are also reasonable in rain (80 to 85 in moderate rain on non-porous concrete) and were no problem in snow. They are a performance tire with a hard sidewall - if they flat spot when cold and rumble for a couple of miles, that's OK. When I replace them, I might look at alternatives. Based on some of the comments, I wonder if I might find the Michelins too soft? Anyone any experience with both?
    "There's also some lightness, nervousness and instability around dead center..."

I find that to be true at city speed, as I did with my previous CL-S. It just feels a little "isolated", a little "disconnected", so to speak. However, it seems to tighten up nicely at highway speed, with good road feel.
    "I wonder if I might find the Michelins too soft"

I believe what you were referring to is a cushy ride like what you will find in an Avalon. Nah...you won't with the correct Michelins. If you get the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S you are getting a high performance "Y" speed rated (the original tires are "W" rated...so you are already getting a benefit)....and from what I understand it should last about 35,000+ versus so many others that may only last a lot less.

Now...I haven't purchased these yet....but that is based upon my research when I was buying the TL (I was thinking ahead and didn't want to get stuck with dud tires).

Also...the EL42 haven't been too bad for me either. However...I live near San Diego CA and it is dry and warm....so less issues with harsh wet pavement or possibility of flat spots. Me...been ok with the tires. Future....the tires mentioned above (but willing to consider suggestions from others).
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Where are you located, nkeen? What kind of snow were you driving in. I'm going to give the ELs another chance this coming (too soon!) winter, but if they are as poor as I remember, I'll probably buy new all-seasons.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

So my new tires should be the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S when my current tires fall apart?
    Thanks for that information about the temperature sensor. I corrected mine to the minus 3 degrees, which still is not enough, as during mild weather, it normally reads about 5 degrees higher than weather reports.
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    I found an auto compass worthy of the TL! It is very small and took me 10 minutes to install and calibrate! For those of you who are still wondering why this car does not have a built in compass... this is the answer! Looks great, well made, and hardly noticeable! ONLY $24.99 at Autozone. (No... I do not work for them...) Here is the link! I like it so much I am going to get one for our van! :D

http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_details.asp?id=22685