Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Not to prove your earlier point Scott.... The prematurely fading dash issue is common to the TL.

I've not heard about the stereo window before, but if it's under warranty, then cost is not sn issue. The dealership should change out the unit if that is what's necessary.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    The prematurely fading dash issue is common to the TL

Not for the quartz interior. I guess if you want the shiny Armorall look, then anything will appear faded. Turtle Wax has a vinyl/plastic/whatever potion that I used sparingly once and it looks good, even though my quartz dash hasn't faded.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Many years ago an upholstry guy told me to use diluted Formula 409 to clean the dash....armor all just attracts dust which adds to dash problems. I've used the diluted Formula 409 with great success on several cars over the years.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Yeah, I know.... I didn't want to come into this subject with the last conversation hanging over my head.
    Let's just say that I hope that the TL's dash issue is not going to occur in my new MDX's black interior as well.
    I don't park in the sun that often though.... the car is garaged at work and at home.
    As for the stereo, didnt think about the warranty.
    If the car is under warranty, they should fix it, regardless of cost or method.

As for the Quartz interior...
    ***no offense, this is just my opinion***
    I hate the Quartz interior and would avoid any Acura purchase if I had to settle for it, just to avoid fading issues.
    I like the Black, which doesn't include the Genuine Plastic Wood.

Yes, I know, the MDX has it as well, but it's the Wife's car... so it's not my issue.
    Where does one find Black ZebraWood Plastic trees anyway?
    I thought they were extinct.

For a safe cleaning solution, use 6 parts water/1 part Wollite.
    Works throughout the interior, including the leather.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Actually, I have an Abyss Blue (several coats of Zaino, looks fab!)TL w/quartz interior and the top of the dash did exhibit the "fade." At first service, dealer cleaned it up to original luster, but it has "faded" again. Not a huge deal to me, I'll polish it up again or bug the dealer.

I'm almost looking forward to my Bridgestones (currently 17,000+ miles, still good tread) wearing out so I can replace 'em with better snow handlers. Even if they still have reasonable tread life come the fall, I may replace 'em anyway. Just poor in the snow.

No "Harmonic Vibration," one rattle taken care of, radio/CC screen fine, leather still looks good...
    Great car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Those of you with Dash Fade

Do you have any guess as to what mey be causing it?

Do you park in the sun a lot?
    How often do you clean/moisturize the dash?
    Do you scrub it with steel wool and razor blades?
    (Ok, that was just a funny)

Or is it just a sign of sub-par material?

Please don't mind the questions, I'm just a guy with a short list of cars on the potential buying list.

BTW, Aaargh... I'm adding the '07 Infiniti G35 AWD to the list along with the '07 Lexus IS

I've persoanally never likes the G before, but Autospies is showing some really nice things in store for the 07

Of course, the '07 TL intrigues me as well, with that new 300 HP Type-S option.
    Not for the quartz interior.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the upper dash (the part that fades) is the same color for all TL interiors.

I have the parchment interior with the fake wood trim. I think it looks fine, even though it is fake.
    I just sat in a Black Interior 06 TL 2 days ago
    The Dash was Black.

Are they all Black on the Dash Top?

Now that I think of it, you may be right.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I think you're right about the dash being dark on all the TLs. I too have a quartz interior (didn't want black in the South and the parchment wasn't my speed) and the dash looks fine. I too don't want that Armorall slick look anywhere on my car. Is this what people are debating? The non-slickness is considered fading? My neighbor has an 04 and his dash looks fine. We both garage our cars.

Got 33 mpg on a recent trip to DC. Followed a new GTO for a few miles @ 105mph in the boondocks until I decided to chill. Great car. No complaints.
    I find all the materials in the TL to be very good, even the faux carbon fiber (and real Aluminum)! It is quite a stylish, well laid-out, quality interior. Much more so than the G35, imho. One of the reasons I preferred the TL over the G. Not to mention the outstanding exterior style of the TL!

I'm not sure if the "dash fade" is just collecting dust/lint/pollen or a degassing? My TL is not in the sun, garaged at home/work, excessively and I may not have even noticed it had I not read about it here. Maybe this weekend I'll try cleaning it up, I don't want an Armor-All shiny dash either. I'll be due for a service soon, if I take it to the dealer, I'll mention it again. I'll bet Sal Zaino could take care of it...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
    I'm not sure if the "dash fade" is just collecting dust/lint/pollen or a degassing?

If it's the same thing I'm thinking of, it's my understanding this dash spotting/fading has to do with the location where the passenger side airbag is located. I think there might even be a TSB or service buleltin on it. Dealer uses some kind of Honda cleaner I believe, but I've also seen a lot of owner recomendations for 303 Aerospace protectant....Found it...Acura Service News 12/05

Dashboard Looks Faded or
    Blotchy
    Got an ’04–06 TL in your shop with a faded or
    blotchy-looking dashboard? (It’s called the
    instrument panel in the parts catalog.) What’s
    probably causing this is the compatibilizer
    material in the dashboard is migrating through the
    cover. After the material ages, proper cleaning
    and an application of vinyl protectant should
    restore it to showroom condition. Keep in mind,
    though, if you clean the dashboard before all that
    material has migrated, you may need to clean it
    again and reapply the protectant.
    To clean the dashboard, first moisten a clean,
    white towel with Acura Spray Cleaner/Polish
    (P/N08C25-P011M), then rub the panel vigorously
    until the discoloration goes away. Clean the
    dashboard twice in different directions to get the
    best results.
    After you’re done cleaning, moisten another fresh
    towel with Acura Vinyl/Leather Protectant
    (P/N 08740-PC008), and liberally apply this
    product to the dashboard. Do this twice in
    different directions to make sure all areas get
    covered.
    Avoid spraying the cleaner or vinyl protectant
    directly on the dashboard. These products are
    tough to remove from glass, and glass cleaners
    could stain or discolor the dashboard.
    Great info, jrourke! That should help a bunch of people.

I had heard that Acura was secretly offering the cleaning products to customers, but when I asked my dealer about it they said they'd take care of it. And did. My dash looks fine, but I'll give it a clean this weekend anyway. I vacuumed the interior and treated the leather last weekend. Four coats of Zaino this year has the exterior looking pretty sharp!

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think we all know who owns shares in Zaino. :surprise: :blush:
  • arunalayamarunalayam Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I have the same problem with my 2000 TL. Did you get this resolved by any chance. Please let me know what the cure was. Everything was working fine till 81000miles and all of a sudden No Heat. It blows cold air at any temperature. Looks to me like the regulator has not effect or something. Can you please reply.
    Yeah, I've become one of "them!" I wish I owned shares, at least then I'd have a piece of all the money I sent to Sal back!

But the Abyss Blue is very, very shiny... :D

Good stuff. Great car.

• invasianinvasian Member Posts: 19
    Anyone else experiencing this?
    When rolling down the windows, its noisy- kind of a rubber on glass sound? only had the car for 3 months now. both windows do it.
    I was just in Acura Service discussing various TL complaints they have had.
    He told me that the biggest complaint they see is how the windows seat.
    The seats are very tight and can actually make a rubbing sound.
    He suggests slightly tapping the window switch to lower the windows a fraction of an inch to avoid the rubbing sound while driving.

He mentioned nothing about the sound for the entire motion range of the window though.
  • g_rocg_roc Member Posts: 9
    I am having the same problem with my 05 Acura TL. The dash looks all faded and it only has 5000 miles on it. I went into Tustin Acura and they said I caused the problem by spraying Windex on the dash. I told him I haven't even cleaned my front windshield since I bought the car. They basically said sorry we can't help you.. I love their customer service. They give you a customer service form to fill out while the customer service guy stands right in front of you. What a joke.
    I'd fill it out and let 'em see exactly how "satisfied" you were with their service!

• camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Yes. My two front windows make that sound on occasion. You may want to try putting some silicone spray on a clean cloth and, with the windows down, wiping both sides of the rubber strip that scrapes the window as it goes down.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    I wouldn't recommmend doing that. You will NEVER have clean windows again. Everytime you put the windows down you will end up with a streaky oily mess.
  • jacksonkidjacksonkid Member Posts: 9
    :confuse: Hello group. My front passenger door lock (99 TL) will not lock/unlock automatically. I can press/pull it, but when I use the power lock switch in the car or the keyless entry fob, I get nothing. What is the problem and how can it be fixed? Does anyone know what this will cost me to repair?
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    sounds like the power door lock solinoid in that door has gone bad or come unplugged. I have never seen them come unplugged, so I am pretty sure it is bad. It can be purchased from Acura, I am not sure how much. I have replaced one in an Accord and a CRV, and both took less than 45 minutes.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I put silicone on the rubber around my windows (all the weather stripping) about 2 times a year - never had an oil film problem - maybe because silicone is not oil.

A can of silicone costs about $2.00 at Walmart - try it on a small section on a rear window - after you prove that no oil film shows up - then use it on the rest of your windows.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I had to have my entire dash replaced.

Real acura quality.
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    It amazes me that you continue to visit and post to this site considering how disgusted you are with your TL.

Very suspicious.
    Not suspicious at all. Tedescm1 has again and again provided details (and insight) into the myriad of problems he has had. He is consistent and thorough in his descriptions, such that I have no reason to doubt him what so ever.
    Yes, agreed. And while Ted has no doubt one of the weakest examples of the TL species, from personal experience and reading throughout these forums, his TL is most likely in the very, very, very (did I write "very") small minority of TLs on the road. Especially post '04.

I am getting a little bummed regarding how many TLs I am now seeing on the road! I know it's a mass produced car, but it was somewhat unique-ish for a while. The TL must be doing something right to be reproducing at such an alarming rate! :surprise:

No line of auto is going to produce 100% perfection. Especially when some survey respondents consider the fuel economy of their Hummer's to be a "defect!" :P

The TL, besides Ted's,is a wonderful car. Especially if you Zaino it... (now you just knew that was coming! :shades: )

• recharger3recharger3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey! I just traded my IS 300 for a TL. the Lexus was quieter, and heavier built. That's it. The Lexus was slower, rougher, by far and cramped inside. It ate tires until I got the Michelin Pilot Sport AS, at $200 per tire, and then they were hard to keep balanced. With the OEMs I couldn't get into my driveway with a half inch of snow. I was told I had a bent wheel. The seats were harder than the TL. The trunk barely held three large suitcases and the hinges were exposed, threatening damage. The TL is a 5 series by comparison, and it is way cheaper than a Lexus.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    According to Consumer Reports annual survey of hundreds of thousands of car owners, 84% of TL owners said they would buy the same car again. This is higher than the vast majority of cars on the market. Only a few cars top that satisfaction, including the Corvette and the Lexus GS300.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    I know I'd buy my 2005 TL again. It isn't perfect, but it's a great car.
  • eclipsewoneclipsewon Member Posts: 2
    When I accelerate after first gear, there is this whining sound coming from the engine. It is annoying and most importantly embarrising.

What is this problem, and is there a fix?
    Who mentioned the IS300?
    In fact, I'm not sure what posessed anyone to buy one.
    There is an issue with the whining sound.
    I was at the Acura dealer last week dropping off some paperwork from my new MDX purchase, and as they always do, they were trying to sell me into a new TL.

I was in the service dept talking about known TL issues.
    The whining sound is common, and is coming from some shield somewhere.
    The guy told me but I lost interest in his droning car techy talk.

Call service, they are aware of the problem.
    (At least Acura of Auburn, MA is)
    Call Jeff @ 508-832-0444
    He can tell you what it is.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    “It amazes me that you continue to visit and post to this site considering how disgusted you are with your TL”.

Your right…I should just forget about the experience and move on …but I am interested and somewhat amazed that many of the problems that I experienced on a very early model TL are still being discussed and experienced by new tl owners almost three years later!

Examples:
    The tires
    Fading dashboard
    Vibrations
    Wearing leather
    Rattles
    etc...

Any company can make a mistake, and most do, but at least make an effort to correct the problem. There is no excuse for Acura to continue to use Bridgestone tires. Or, to continue to use a low quality dashboard that is prone to oxidation and fading...where is the quality?

When I experienced these problems, Acura would not even let me speak to company rep. For two years they denied the car even had a Harmonic vibration and then they issued a TSB on how it could be covered up.

I had to sue them to get their attention...talk about poor customer service

But the biggest reason I visit this form is to see how others new TL owners are faring and dealing their concerns.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    My experience/impression of Honda customer service at the corporate level is not good at all. However, I have had exemplary service for the most part at the dealership level -- and this includes both Honda and Acura service departments. Sales department is another story. Honda needs some corporate mandate for dealer to upgrade the professionalism of their sales staff. Acura is better, but Honda sales departments are staffed by too many that look like they just graduated from high school. :mad:
  • badlybadly Member Posts: 2
    Well, I took a rock to my windshield on I-95 and had to replace the glass. Acura dealership recommended a company that they use, and I called them to schedule a replacement. Replacement seemed fine, but my short (OK, petite) wife noticed some optical distortion along the bottom 1-2 inches of glass as well as in the corners. Her passenger at the time noticed it too. Glass repair outfit said that the windshield was under warranty and that the distortion was considered a defect, so they came out and replaced the glass again. Windshield #2 has identical problem. Both were PPG. OK, several questions:

Should I have the glass done yet again? Spoke with the dealer and he says there's no difference b/w the ppg and the "honda" marked windshield, though I'm considering getting "honda" glass next time around (although isn't it made by ppg?) as a possibility.

Is this a normal distortion due to the curve of the windshield? If so, why was it not apparent with the stock windshield? Is it normal for aftermarket windshields?

Would I be causing or risking a different problem by having the windshield taken out and replaced a third time? Or are windshield replacements no big deal.

Does such a distortion indicate a structural or unsafe flaw in the glass or is it just a distortion?

Any help and enlightenment I could get on this subject will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Since we have a specific TL windshield discussion that you have found, let's keep the advice for you in one place. Folks can offer suggestions for you at this link: badly, "TL Windshield Issues" #9, 20 Jun 2006 5:28 pm.

Welcome - I hope we can help.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Morning all, I just picked up my 06 TL last night and I guess I didn't do enough research in this area. Other than the Acura ipod connection kit ($500), is there a way to hook up an ipod to the stereo (other than the klunky 3rd party ways...tape deck adapter, FM transmitter, etc). I thought the center console was prewired to plug into an ipod but there only appears to be a cap there with no way to connect anything. I didn't find anything in the owners manual last night. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    No promises, but you can try this: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv2.html
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I just got home from Acura dealer - strange that the TSX has a built in I-pod connection - but the TL does not.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    My '06 TL is about 3 weeks old. Cranked up the XM today full blast and it seemed that both door panels on the front doors seemed to vibrate. Is this an issue most of had and is it simply taking to the dealership and having extra insualtion put in? Thanks
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Do you own a TL? Anyhow, I bought my 05' TL w/nav in jan 05'and still cannot shake the vibration issue. Numerous trips to dealer, balancing, rotating the tires, etc. didn't help. Changing to snows seemed to lessen the vibration (that shouldn't be a fix). I have 5 easy monthly payments to go and I will be unloading this car to some unfortunate soul. Absolutely love our 04' MDX and would consider buying the 07' model when it comes out in the fall. No more TL's, sorry.
  • animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    I had the same problem and i am taking it to dealer next week to fix this along with couple of other issues. My car is just two months old :(. Will keep you posted
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    The speakers are in the doors.....am I missing something in your question? That's like saying the AC is cold.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    I have owned several cars and all have speakers in the doors. The difference being with the others when you turned up the volume the door panels did not vibrate. They were designed to handle loud volume. The TL's vibrated when the stereo was turned up (at least they appeared and sounded like they did. Could have just been the speakers but when I pushed on the door the vibration stopped.) I don't consider this to be normal on a $30k+ car. Maybe a $10k Suzuki but they might not even come with a radio. :)
    If you understand how a speaker works, you can understand how the vibration occurs, but the car should be built in a fashion that can handle this without the passengers hearing any vibrational noise... especially in the ELS system that Acura boasts so much about.

It's a flaw that should be fixed.

The MDX door panels do not vibrate, but there is a 10" sub in the rear passenger corner. The outside fender vibrates like crazy when the stereo is up to a moderate volume and sounds like crap on the outside of the car.
    Personally, I'm not impressed with Acura's sound systems.
  • janberjanber Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 TL began rattling at about 1200 miles. The front passenger door rattle stopped if the armrest was pushed on. Both front doors have speaker vibration just as you described. There was also a rattle in the back passenger side deck lid. The dealer has been working on all of them. They finally replace the entire door panel on the passenger door and that stopped the rattle. They thought they fixed the deck issue, but it started again. They said Acura knows about that issue, it has to do with the seat belt latch back there. They are now replacing that seat belt latch. They also are putting more felt insulation into both front doors to try stop the speaker vibration. I made the same point to them - dont brag about your sound system if the car cant handle loud volume. They acknowledged there have been some issues with that. Even though this has been a big hassle I did not expect from a $30K+ car, I have to say the service dept has been extremely responsive. Will let you know if the extra door insulation works. I should have the car back the first of next week.
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    Two weeks ago I took delivery on a 2006 TL w/navigation. I am hoping this auto will serve us as well as an earlier Acura, which we drove for 132K with excellent service and reliability. One niggling problem, which may be a "gremlin" common to new cars. The warning light in the top-center of the dash saying the passgner SRS system is OFF come on every time the car is started, and remains lit for several seconds, saying, to me at least, that the air bag for the passgner's seat is not active. I know and understand that it is set up to be deactivated when a child, or any other light object, is placed in the seat. But this warning light comes on with or without an adult in the passgner seat. I have been advised that the sensor reponds to seat position as well as to weight, but experimenting with the seat location has no effect. I will take this back to the dealer in a week or so, but in the meantime, has anybody experienced the same/similar problem? Other than this, the car seems to be faultless, and a great value for the money.

Bryncerdd
    Without looking at the Owner's Manual, I believe that the Passenger SRS light action you're seeing is normal. I'm sure it's a POST (Power On Self Test) to show that it is functional (i.e the light is not burned out).

To be sure, check your manual.

No door rattles that I'm aware of in my '05. Except, of course, for the detritus I throw in the door bins... :D

Windshield is fine, no "harmonic vibraton," "faded" dash was cured with a cleaning by the dealer. leather is okey-dokey and Bridgestone Turanza tires still stink in the snow.

Great car. Great looking car! For those who are trying to justify a TL over a loaded Accord, just look at 'em both! The TLs looks are worth the premium alone!

I'm so superficial... :shades: