Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    From my reading of the owners manual (I've only had my 06 TL for 4 days) it sounds like normal ops. The passenger air bag light is supposed to come on momentarily at each start up and then goes out unless the system senses an "occupant" weighing less than 60 pounds (I think that is the weight). If there is no one in the seat or your 180 pound teenager is in the seat the light stays out. With no one in the seat the airbag is deactivated (light out) with the teenager in the seat the airbag is activated (but the light is still out).
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have been been looking for a car for my wife - have looked at many cars - we decided the TL was the one - but decided to give the problem & solutions board a good read before I sign on the dotted line.

The vibration defect really bothers me - I have had a similar experience with the last car we purchased (a Mazda3).

Even though the Mazda had (has) OBVIOUS problems I would get can't duplicate or operating as designed. Very crummy way to treat a customer.

I somehow expected Acura to be better than Mazda in the customer service department - but it seems like they read from the same play book.

I can't help but notice your constant posts about how great the TL is - the "my father, brother ,neighbor and I all truly enjoy ours" really sticks out - after reading it dozens of times!

Not trying to single you out - anyone with a non-vibrating TL can also respond.

But wouldn't your opinion completely change if you / your father, brother & neighbor all had the vibrating problem - and Acura told you all - sorry its just the way it is - live with it?

It seems like I see this same thing on every problem board - someone always says - its only a few cars that have "the problem" - mine is fine - this car is great!

I always measure customer service by what happens AFTER the customer has a problem - not by what happens if the customer does not have a problem. It sounds like Acura is falling short of what I would consider good customer service.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    The only "vibrating" I get is from the tires flat-spotting early in the morning. Usually goes away in a minute or two of driving.
    Not the cars fault it vibrates- it's the tires fault ;)

I bought my car in South Florida and their service dept is top notch. I try to have my TL serviced their everytime I visit South Florida.
    However, my local dealer's service dept is not as stellar (Tampa). I have to wait a while before being talked to and the service advisor (one in particular) acts like his %^$%^ don't stink.

I do agree that Acura must raise the bar in customer service if they want to be considered the "luxury division" of Honda like Lexus is to Toyota.

Before ruling out the TL for a "vibration" issue- drive it and see for yourself.

I will admit that my TL does have the "faded dash" but with a little Lexol protectant- it looks great.
    Ultimately, if this is MY main issue with the car as opposed to engine & tranny problems then I am content.

-non vibrating TL owner ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I have an '04 TL. I have had NO vibration issue, tire flat-spotting, faded dash, tranny problem, nor cracked leather seats, etc.

I do have minor and intermittent rattles, squeaks. One annoying one from the glove box door I fixed by padding it with felt strips.

My Acura service department has been great. I have never thought highly of Honda corporate, but I don't really care about that because I believe the dealer is the more important customer interface. Find a good dealer and you'd be fine 95% of the time.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    I have a non-vibrating TL, my TL is a rattling one. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 04 TL, and I have 56k on it. I have used 2 different Acura dealers. I think It all has to do will the service writer you get. I have had GREAT experiences and VERY BAD experiences at both dealerships. I now know which service writers to avoid. There was one time that I was not happy with the how I was being treated at the service department so I went to the general manager. After that I got treated like gold. The general manager let me use his own demo for a loaner. I think for the most part the dealer tries to make its customers happy.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Hi, Z71bill:

I can't argue with your experiences or opinions. It is truly a shame that you are not pleased with your TL or the service you have received. That would be true for any car/any service.

I simply honestly post my experiences which mirror some other's experiences (to me, seemingly the majority) and contrast others'. So, yes, my opinion would certainly change if I had issues that truly made the car unenjoyable. Or if I actually knew of someone with a TL with such issues. I've posted that I have had the "faded" dash, now resolved. And one rattle which it took two trips to the dealer to fix. But, in 18 months and almost 18,000 miles (I gotta take more road trips!), that's it. I'd say I've had decent experience with the dealer. And, all the TL owner's that I know are satisfied. That doesn't mean that 100% of the population will have the same experience I've had, nor that 100% will have the experience that you've had.

So, my postings are from my experiences and those of TL owner's I know and they have all been very positive (as of this writing, at least!).

Good luck, I hope that you can find satisfaction with your TL and find a decent service department!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Thanks for the response(s) -

BTW I do not own a TL - we (wife & I) are still trying to decide. Honestly the main problem is we have too much time - don't need the car until August - so we can afford to be picky - guess I need a deadline.

I am more sensitive to car problems since my horrible experience with Mazda - I do not want a repete - one nightmare car at a time is enough.

The thing that really stuck out - it sounds like the Acura owners who have the vibration are being told the exact same things as the Mazda3 owners - which is very frustrating if you really do have a problem.

Just got home from testing the (gasp) Camry - a car that I said I would never even consider (test drove one a few years ago - bla) but it was nice - the SE V6 rides pretty good - nice solid feel - corners great - the engine is strong - not as good - overall - as the TL - but like so many Toyota cars - it does everything well - but no great. The tranny problem is a concern - but strange as it may sound - I would rather have a complete tranny failure VS some a vibrating car - at least then it would get fixed.

But can't find the color combo we want.
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    I have an '04 TL, and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, rattles and squeaks drive me nuts. My wife thinks I am crazy. I have had this on and off rattle up by the 2 spot lights near the moonroof. It seems to come from the light lenses, but when I press on them sometimes it stops and other times it doesn't. I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what the remedy might be...Thanks
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I have an '06 TL with approx. 6K on it - I haven't had a vibration problem.

I can't help but wonder if some (not all!) of the people who experience the vibration problem are hyper-sensitive. I was in the Air Force for a number of years and I can't tell you how many times one pilot would have a problem or notice something strange and then suddenly ALL the pilots would start thinking they experienced the same thing - it's human nature. The other "problems" rarely panned out.

I've had a couple of minor rattles (yes, I'm sure :P ) but nothing else worth mentioning. I don't get the gas mileage I'd like around the city but I have a tendancy to punch it from time to time :blush: so I can't complain - it's worth the fun. I think it's an incredible car and you can't go wrong getting one.

I've always loved Honda products. As a matter of fact I've ordered a Honda Fit for my work commute - it should be here any day. More fun!! :shades:
    Does it happen with the sun shade in the open and closed positions?
    Yes, it doesn't seem to matter which postion the sunshade is in. I generally don't have the sunshade (visor) in the open position (down)...do you think it is coming from that?
    It sounds a little similar to my rattle. I thought it was the overhead console, but it only happened when the sunroof was in the vent position. It was fixed (with the second visit after I was told it was fixed. In fact, whatever the dealer did the first time made it worse!) when they replaced the sunroof wind deflector. No rattle since.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Sorry if I misread your original post a bit, but my sentiment still applies.

If you're concerned about the vibration, might I suggest test driving as many TLs as possible for as long as possible. Also, do you personally know any TL drivers? Ask them about if they've got Good Vibrations...

If this "harmonic vibration" is so obvious and bothersome (and I honestly don't doubt it exists in some TLs) I really wonder why these folks bought the TL. Didn't they take a decent test drive or two?

All the cars I was considering went on similar test drives on highways and byways. I was interested in relative quiet, power and handling amongst other traits. My test drives led me to appreciate the G35's power and handling, but I found the ride a bit too "sporty" (read I felt every imperfection in the road). Also the G had a bit too much wind/road noise for my desire. The TL, while not Lexus like quiet, had a better ride/handling/nvh quotient to me. Not to mention (as I often do) that it is just plain prettier than the G both inside and out!

Anywho, don't rely totally on these boards. Talk to the man/woman who drives one and use the seat of your pants to help decide...

I thought bhelsdon was referring to the moonroof interior sunshade, not the 2 sun visors. And the moonroof sunshade does make a squeaky noise when it is open. (I'm not sure I would go as far as call it a rattle). Unfortunately, I think the sun visors also make a rattly noise when in the down position.
    Yes, Thank you, I realized that after his reply. I still think this is coming from the 2 spot light lenses, as it is more of a rattle than a squeak.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "The tranny problem is a concern - but strange as it may sound - I would rather have a complete tranny failure VS some a vibrating car - at least then it would get fixed."

In all honesty, your likelihood of buying/leasing a Camry with a tranny problem is the same as getting a "vibrating" TL.

Like laurasdada previously suggested, go drive some TL's and see for yourself and/or talk to other TL owners in real life and ask them. Don't rely what on you read in a "problems & solutions" forum Toyota or Acura for that matter. ;)
    You are right, I was referring to the moonroof shade. I fixed that noise by putting spray silicone in the tracks and making the little hook shaped stopper at the front of the shade fit tighter when it's closed. I fixed the vanity mirror rattle by putting felt stickers on the inside corners of the cover. The felt stickers I am referring to are the little things you find on your kitchen cabinet doors. They keep the wood from banging together. These work great because they come in different sizes, colors, and their sticky on one side.
    I basically agree with most of the posts - test drive it - don't rely on the problems & solution board -

Maybe my question should be directed to the ones with a vibrating TL - if you did not notice it on the test drive how long until it did show up?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Thank you...I totally agree!

I find it odd that all his friends and relatives have the TL and have no Problems...at all?
    It showed up about a month later when i was driving down the shore on a smooth road in heavy traffic doing about 50 to 55 mph and the car kept vibrating.

The tranny vibration is like a broken tooth. Once you find it, you keep focusing on it.

I reported it to my dealer who said it was normal. Two years later they came out with a TSB....in an effort to fix it.

So much for credibility
    "I find it odd that all his friends and relatives have the TL and have no Problems...at all?"

I don't think that's unusual at all. Let's take the much-publicized Honda tranny problem, which was supposed to have afflicted thousands of Accords, CLs, TLs, Preludes. I know tons of people who own or have owned one of these models, and I don't know of one who has had tranny problem.
    Ted, my friend. I have mentioned my "faded dash" and the single rattle in my TL. Friends/relatives haven't had any issues, at least not worth mentioning, as they have not.

Truly sorry you got a :lemon:

I still believe that you are in a very, very small minority. Which matters not to you, unfortuanately.

I could also find it very odd that you claim to have had every problem on your TL ever mentioned by all the posters on these boards... :confuse:

Well that has not been my experience.

I know at least four people (with Acura or Honda Accords) who have had their transmissions replaced. One person had it replaced twice.

Acura and Honda had numerous bad transmissions from 1999 through 2003. I would be very surprised if you were unaware of the problem.

But, you’re right about the fact that you can have a problem with any car company. The new Toyota Avalon and the old Lexus 330 have been plagued with tranny hesitation problems for at least 3 years and they are telling thier customers that the problem is "normal" (for that car)

Makes me wonder why it takes them so long to correct a problem.... is it really that complicated or is it a matter of not wanting to spend money to correct a problem.

In the final analysis, I think the Japanese companies have lost their quality advantage and the American companies have slighted improved their products.

I don’t see a lot of quality difference between my Acura tl and my Buick Regal. Sure... the Acura has a little more snob appeal and cost more money but in an objective evaluation they are about the same in quality.
    Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I drove to work today and heard it again. I did have the moon roof shade cracked open, so I don't think that is the problem. However, I am now investigating the rear view mirror...this may be the culprit. I will keep you posted
    I am aware of the problem. In fact, Acura extended the powertrain warranty on my previous 2001 CL-S due to the tranny issue. But my point was no one I know has actually had a tranny problem.

I don't think the Japanese have lost their quality advantage. Maybe the gap has narrowed a bit, but the Japanese still has the advantage. I know because I rent a fair bit, so I have driven quite a few late model American cars. I don't think it's the Americans that the Japanese have to worry about --- it's the Koreans. They are coming fast!
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I agree with your comment about the Korean cars - they've made great strides. I recently rented a Sonata (on the advice of my father, of all people) which performed very well. Some of the controls were a bit strange and the incessant chime when I got out of the car when it was still running drove me nuts :mad: but it was spacious and performed well. Soon we'll see what the Chinese have in store for us...
    "Well that has not been my experience."

Exactly. And I have posted what has been my experience. I never thought for a second that any carmaker will put out 100% defect free cars 100% of the time. Generally, based on surveys by CR and JDP (among others) and my experience, the likelihood of getting a clunker has been much less when buying Japaneese. C & D seemed to enjoy their long term Acura RL, but they had mucho problemas with it. It happens. And they were surprised. Because Honda/Acura has a history/reputation of building quality pieces.

My previous car was a '99 Chrysler 300M. A first model year, domestic, Chrysler! A sure recipe for quality/reliability disaster!!! But, 5.5 years and 67,000 miles later, a car I still miss and thoroughly enjoyed owning. Under warranty a couple of first year issues, taken care of. Out of warranty, nothing to report. Statistically, well, I rolled the dice on that one. But I (and to me) Chrysler won.

Now comparing the 300M to the TL. The exterior build quality of the TL wins hands down. The M panel gaps were ridiculously large and uneven in spots. Interior fit and finish is a closer race, but the TL edges out again. M had a better ride, more comfy seats but the TL is tighter in handling, quicker, better mpg and much quieter. And so far the TL has offered no functional defects, the M I had to have two window motors replaced and a tranny module had to be replaced (under warranty, both known first year issues). Bottom line, I still miss the M. But, and I almost hate to say it, I wasn't going to keep the Chrysler beyond 70,000 miles. I just knew something bad was going to happen... ? :confuse: Plus, I just enjoy cars and wanted a new one...

Now, I am no brand snob. I bought the TL for the same reason as I bought the Chrysler. Because it is the car that I wanted, fit my needs, wants and desires. And budget. I'm driving it, I'm paying for it. Who cares what others think!

So, again, it stinks that your TL is a :lemon: . I hope your next ride has you singing its praises. Post where you're going next, when the time comes.

Buena suerte, amigo.

"...the incessant chime when I got out of the car when it was still running drove me nuts..."

Isn't that a good thing? Afterall, you wouldn't want to inadvertently walk away with the engine running! :blush:
    So far no vibrations - drove down the beltway - new road very smooth - at a steady 45 - 50 - 55 - 60 - 65 - 70 - 75 - 80 MPH (few miles each) really looking for any vibration - found NONE.

But I did have my first rattles - center console - the top door seemed loose - found two holes that looked like they should have those little rubber bumpers in them - then I saw two little rubber bumpers in the cup holder - perfect fit - no more rattle. Details - details -

My passenger side seat has a small rattle - takes a large bump - with no one in the seat. Since I have owned a few Chevys I am a rattle expert! I am very aware of this stuff - in part because its just the way I am (see TPMS below for an example) - but also because of reading this problem & solutions board.

The TPMS is nice - but I am kind of a nut about this stuff - this morning the readings were 33 32 32 31 - so I checked the tires with my gauge and got 32 32 31 31 - it took me a few tries to get everything adjusted so both the TPMS and my gauge showed 33 33 32 32. I feel so much better! There is no known cure for this sickness - but driving around in a new car helps!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to set all of the electronics - the sales person tried his best to get me to let him go through all of this stuff - but figured I would never remmember it - would end up needing to looking in the owners manual anyway. He made me promise I would not hold it against him when I get the survey from Acura.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    In the final analysis, I think the Japanese companies have lost their quality advantage and the American companies have slighted improved their products.

Precisely correct although I would say that some of the American products such as the 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS demonstrate a marked improvement in quality and are now easily competitive in overall quality with cars such as the TL or the Lexus ES.
    ;) I agree that the American companies have made a marked improvement over the junk they were building in the 80’s and 90’s. I had the sad misfortune of buying quite a few of them and they were just terrible.

Today, I think the American cars are almost on par with the Japanese but the American cars continue to suffer from a very poor public image. It took many years to ruin their reputation and it will take many years to correct it.

As someone mentioned earlier (may have been you) the real threat will be coming from the Korean car companies. They are building some really nice cars at great prices with 10-year warranties.
    Today, I think the American cars are almost on par with the Japanese but the American cars continue to suffer from a very poor public image. It took many years to ruin their reputation and it will take many years to correct it.

Yes, it is largely a matter of perception and that takes time to change. Even though I believe that now domestic car quality is at least on a par with the German and Japanese offerings (actually domestic car quality is superior to German car quality in my opinion and the equivalent of Japanese car quality) it will take time for the market to perceive this shift based on the experience of the '80's - '90's when the domestic offerings were truly substandard compared to their foreign competition. But now they are no longer substandard and offer far more car for the same money when compared to their German and Japanese competition which have become, as a consequence of their recent economic dominance, apathetic and sluggish.

The Koreans are indeed a force to be reckoned with. The new Sonata is a lovely car although I am less impressed by the Azera. The Amanti is a commendable effort although grossly underpowered. The Sedona is the safest of all minivans.
    I don't think the Americans are that close to the Japanese yet.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I have an 04 with 62,000 ks. I live in the northwest and over the 20 months I've owned the car, I've had to replace 2 windshields because of stone hits. And the 3rd windshield (2 months old) now has two more hits, one of which is sealed and the other...well, I'll find out this morning if it can be saved. I've never had this problem with any other vehicle, even in Australia for 10 years. Is it me or have others had the same problem?
    I have to agree..you can't beat a Honda/Acura product. I recently was put into a Dodge Neon for a rental car. What a piece of junk..I drove it 2 miles and returned it to the rental car place for a replacement.
    I totally agree, the original Honda windshield was crap. Everything that touched it would leave a mark. When it finally cracked so bad that it could not be repaired I had it replaced. My insurance company uses safe lite auto glass. They installed an after market glass that said on the invoice it had the acoustic layer just like the original. Since the new windshield I have had things hit that glass that I was sure would leave a mark, but after 1 year and 30k it is still flawless. Mine is an 04 with 56k on it.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    "I don't think the Americans are that close to the Japanese yet."

Well, if my experience is any indication, I might have to disagree.

I have 2007 Toyota Camry XL6 V6/6sp auto that is about 2 months old. It's already had it's transmission replaced and the new transmission has the same problem as the old one (and I'm not the only one enjoying this experience).

The fit and finish of the Camry is not good, especially in the interior - large gaps and ill fitting pieces that the dealer cannot correct (although they have tried).

My Camry was built in Japan just so you can not blame it on being built at the American Toyota plant in Kentucky.

Toyota's "customer service" (if you can call it that) is abysmal with the crowning achievement being a senior "customer service" manager more or less daring me to file an arbitration claim or Lemon Law lawsuit against Toyota.

So yes, it looks like (in my case at least) that the American and Japanese manufacturers are totally on par with each other.
    Toyota's "customer service" (if you can call it that) is abysmal with the crowning achievement being a senior "customer service" manager more or less daring me to file an arbitration claim or Lemon Law lawsuit against Toyota.

You bring up an interesting point. You have my sympathies with respect to your lemon Japanese car but while your experience with a seriously defective Japanese or German car is not so unusual based on the very large number of genuine complaints catalogued on the various automotive boards, what is interesting is the refusal of the manufacturer's representative to own up to the flaws. Generally, they will refuse to even acknowledge that the flaws exist, stating rubbish such as "this is normal for the car" or "this is a 'characteristic' of the car" or some other such insult to one's intelligence, but when all else fails it seems that a not infrequent tactic is for their "customer 'service'" representatives to adopt either a condescending or haughty tone as if their automotive offerings were incapable of being defective and implying that it is you the complaining dissatisfied buyer who must be defective!

It is this arrogance, this conceit and pretension, this de facto dishonesty which I personally find as annoying and damaging to the buying experience as the cars' defects themselves. Of course, this chutzpah derives from their position in the market, to wit, they are presently of the opinion that their position is strong enough that they really don't care if they turn off the buyer with the defective car. This despicable attitude will, however, change as the car-purchasing public wakes up to the fact that the former quality is no longer there. In effect, the emperor will have been found out to have no clothes!
    "...what is interesting is the refusal of the manufacturer's representative to own up to the flaws."

Toyota is a repeat offender in this regard. Remember the infamous oil sludge fiasco? :cry: :mad:
    I have almost 250 miles on the odometer - my oil life remaining message still reads 100% - is this normal?

I found and killed two rattles - the pockets in the front doors have (had) some cheap clip in plastic things - not sure what they are for - maybe to store a cell phone in? -

No matter how hard I tried to get them to stay clipped in place they would rattle. They are now sitting quietly in the corner of my garage.

My only complaints so far - the small glove box - the owners manual alone almost fills it up - and the way the maintenance service reset works - you should be able to reset individual items - like tire rotation without also clearing out everything else. I knew about the pint size glove box before purchase - didn't see it as that big of a deal - guess I need to put some of the glove box "junk -
    in the trunk".
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I've had my TL about 2 weeks now...it took a little over 500 miles for the oil life remaining message to come off 100% so I'm guessing what you are seeing is normal.

I had to laugh when I saw the owners manual(s) almost filled up the glove box...that IS a lot of paperwork.
  • landlubberlandlubber Member Posts: 12
    I have the same passenger seat rattle. There is a potential fix involving a small piece of felt posted on the www.acurazine.com site. Haven't tried it yet - thought I would give the dealership an opportunity or two since the car is still new.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Oil life display rounds in 10% increments (if I recall correctly). It will stay at 100% for quite awhile. Around 750 miles I would expect it to drop to 90%. However, it depends on the type of driving it senses that you are doing.
  • navyspeaknavyspeak Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 TL w/out nav. I put 87 octane in once and since then everytime I accelerate I hear the dreaded Rattling and clanking noise with cheap gas. Since then I only use 93 with and additive, but its still there. Any suggestions ???
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I've forgotten the discussion on this and can't locate it. I just bought a TL last week. Is Armorall recommended for TL dashboard treatment, or should I avoid it? What do you recommend?
    I've forgotten the discussion on this and can't locate it. I just bought a TL last week. Is Armorall recommended for TL dashboard treatment, or should I avoid it? What do you recommend?

Avoid it, too greasy. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant instead. It is the best for interior vinyl trim pieces, plastic, etc.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out locally, even tho they offer a free sample by mail for $5. Might be able to get it locally for less than free.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Interesting. I have about 2950 miles on my TL and the oil is reading at 70%. I'm wondering if I should be concerned. hmmm :confuse:
    That means it will get to zero% when you have 10,000 miles on your car. What's wrong with that? Many people change oil every 3,000 miles.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    I'm not saying anything is "wrong", I just don't want to kill the engine. I'll probably go to Mobil 1 at 3500 miles, then keep Mobil 1 in it, for the rest of the car's life.