Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    I am not sure it is related or not.. Initially when i used to start my car in the morning there use be a big thump sound for a second. However it seems to have gone away now.. Not sure what it was
  • beejer73beejer73 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 TL with black interior. The dash seems to be very dusty (white dust) and nothing that I do will keep it clean. Any suggestions?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Please see post #3198, no "chalky" dash since.
    I have the same problem.. The dealer cleaned it three times but no good. It keeps comming back.. I am going to check the post some one recommended..

The acura client care guy told me not to use sun shield since the car is new and the dash has to lose its contaminents ( whatever that means).. I have tried Armor all, Mguires cleaner and cleaner sold by dealer nothing works
  • jacksonkidjacksonkid Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone in the group ever replaced a factory 99 stereo with an 03 model? I really like the 03's in dash cd changer and I don't want to replace the OEM with another brand and take away from the design. Help...Please!! :D:)
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I have had my 2006 TL with Navigation for 7 months and I love it but also highly disappointed. Guess what the DASH IS FADING! No joke folks the dash is now turning into a flaky white and this with a sunshade cover and tinted windows. it is getting worse everyday.

This is unbelievable I knew I should have went with the IS 350 the only reason being there was a several month wait back in December for them.

I spent 36K for a car with a fading dash in 7 months.

Is this car a lemon anyone to fix this cause I am getting close in selling it. If it is like this in 7 months in 7 years what is it going to be like?

I also own a 1995 Ford Thunderbird that has been in the family since new over 100K miles, sits outside all day everyday....dash is perfect no cracks or fading.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I've had a 04 TL for 23 months. It's been to the southwest in the summer several times and get's lot's of sun and heat in the BC interior. Dash is OK but there is an outline appearing where the passenger A/B is - but just happened in the past couple of weeks.
  • cope8339cope8339 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen.. Acura said they wouldn't cover it because the year and mileage.. what the heck does that have to do with anything...it's only 6 yrs old
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    LOL

That fading is actually a residue from the breakdown of materials in the dash.

I've never seen another car do this, but Acura does have a cleaner which will restore the new look.
    The problem is that if the breakdown of materials is not yet complete, the faded look will continue to reappear.

I feel your pain for the wait on the IS350.... I'm one of those guys who's waiting!
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    The IS Is what I wanted but opted for the TL. The Cadillac was junk, the BMW overpriced, and the Infiniti dind't care for the odd dash and placements and the demo already had rattles.

Is this a special clearner sold at the dealer or can I get it at like Autozone or any auto store?
    Amen to all that above.
    After spending so much time in the Acura showroom during the purchase of my new MDX, the TL started to grow on me, and I really like the layout of the interior (Minus the seats)
    But I had a moment of clearity and have decided on an '07 IS

As for the cleaner, most cleaners from the store only do a fair job at best.
    Get the Acura stuff.
    It was specially formulated to correct their botch job of a dash. :P

In fact, if the car is under warranty, they'll do it for free.
    I took my 2 month old car to the dealer 3 times to get dash cleaned and it white stuff came back. The Acura client service guy told me to let the car in sun so that all the contaminents come out . for now i use these products to keep it clean

1) Mcguires interior vinly /plastic/rubber cleaner
    2) Dupont Leather/Vinyl/rubber cleaner
    3) Blackmagic pro wipes

Use any of these till the problem goes away.Mine hasn't still but reading thr forums it takes some time

Hope this helps
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I've had my tl since 04 and my dash has also faded and been replaced due to the excessive fading. The new dash has also faded…after about a year.

I can understand that someone at Acura made a mistake in picking out the inferior dash materials in 2004. They just did not know of the problem.

However, now that Acura is aware of the problem, you would think that they would fix it in the new 05 and 06 tl's.

I just can't understand why this continues to be a problem? Who is running the asylum?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Who is running the asylum?"

As it's often the case -- the bean-counters! :cry:
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    However, now that Acura is aware of the problem, you would think that they would fix it in the new 05 and 06 tl's

I have an 06 TL. My dash is not faded. Sorry to mess with your theory. I get tired of hearing about this minor issue. Unless you want that greasy, shiny, ArmorAll look going. That's not for me.

Since I've owned my car I've made it a point to look at the dash of any other TLs I see parked around. None of them have a dash problem.
    I have an '04, and my dash is not faded either. Mind you, I hardly ever wipe my dash, so there is a fine layer of dust covering my dash. :P Maybe if I wiped off the dust I would see the fading... :blush:
    I have found 2 TLs here at work in the garage.... not 100% sure of the year, but they are between '04 and '06.
    Both have horrible looking, faded dashes.

Let's face it... some may not experience this, but too many owners do.
    If it's a known issue with even 20% of the cars, it should have been corrected.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    I have an '05 TL which I enjoy very much. It does everything so well...

I did have the "faded dash." Dealer cleaned it up at a service, looks fine. To me, a very minor issue that does not detract from my opinion that the TL offers the most (balanced) car in this price class.

Of course, I'd like a perfect car. I'll let you know when I find it...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• drcohendrcohen Member Posts: 20
    2005 TL Auto w/Nav. 8700 miles.

I returned from an 11 day trip and my TL was dead. I mean dead. I had AAA come out for a jump and the battery was not holding a charge. Funny thing is I had no prior signals that any problem was brewing, no idiot light message, etc. I took 11 days for the problem to reveal itself.
    I went to the dealer 6:15 AM waited until they opened at 7AM. Withing the hour, they took the car, confirmed the problem and replaced the battery. No cost, under warranty of course. I sent the serv. Mgr. a letter of thanks. (I would have also sent a letter for negative reasons).

It helps to have all your settings (radio, XM, etc) written down.

So in the end the Cust. Serv. experience was positive.

Minor Problems with my TL:
    My driver side window makes a funny noise half way down the cycle, like is not tracking correctly or a moving part is rubbing / failing. Other than that it's been a no brainer.
    There are minor annoyances and finish quality questions.

After renting a Malibu for 11 days ( I'm not knocking it, it serves it's function well) I felt the power, suspension and the low emmittting grunt of my TL. It felt great and firm in it's tracking. I actually smiled, especially when using my manual mode and my right foot. I have POWER.

I like this sedan alot, glad I bought it.

David
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's talk about the XM Radio here. C'mon over! ;)
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "This is unbelievable I knew I should have went with the IS 350 the only reason being there was a several month wait back in December for them."

You might want to take a look at the IS forums both here and on other websites. The IS has its own share of problems.

Bottom line- no car is perfect.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    None of the dashes I've seen look bad at all. Don't all cars have a 'faded' dash from the sun anyway?

Mine looks fine. I do garage my car and try to use a sunshade if parking in the sun for long periods, like at the airport.
    "None of the dashes I've seen look bad at all. Don't all cars have a 'faded' dash from the sun anyway?"

No.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Look closer. Unless you want to Armor All the thing and make it look like an oil slick, the sun will fade any dash.
    Look, I dont use these forums for an outlet of anger, or for arguing with people who do not share my opinion.

But the fact is that there are plenty of products that will clean, and another suite of products for conditioning a dashboard in any car.
    The issue with the dash in the TL is that the materials used in the production process breakdown and cause a hazy coating which can be removed, but this will continue to come back until this breakdown of materials is complete. This is fact and cannot be argued.

As for the fact that any dash in the sun will fade....
    Only if it's not treated.
    Any car requires cleaning and conditioning and Armor All is not the only product on the market... and there are a lot of products which will not leave that slimy shine behind.

I understand that some TL dashes never see this phenomenon... but the fact of the matter is that a lot of them do.
    If the problem has been happening for years, Acura should have, and still should address the issue.

Plain and Simple.
  • sb93079sb93079 Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 06 TL w/navi and 3400 miles. I have the faded dash. I also have a crap load of rattles. I'm very disappointed with this car.
    My 06 TL has 10,000 miles on it. My dash is not faded. There are no rattles. I am very happy with this car.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Wow - a new poster who's only 'disappointed' with the 2 minor issues with this car that are typically mentioned, who posts a slam to the car and just mentions these 2 issues, and that's it. No other comments. Just those 2. Only those 2. And done.

Why is the TL such a target for trolls? Cause you get a lot of car for $31K?
    I agree.

I'm open to hearing about my car's problems. But I don't have these dash and rattle and vibration problems with my car, and it seems the TL gets these hit-and-run types coming in with a quick slam. Is it envy? Sure the TL is a nice car, and it isn't perfect, but it ain't a 7 series or a top end Benz. Why the vitriol?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A new discussion has been created to talk about TL Tires. Some recent posts have been moved there.

P.S. If you haven't already, go to the Acura TL group and click on Track this Group (on the right just over the discussion list) so you don't miss any other new TL discussions!
    I also have to agree.... but I'm a guy who understands both sides of this coin.

I have plans on buying a new car in approx 6 months.
    I have my eye on the Lexus IS350.
    My wife and I just bought an 06 MDX with NAV and RES, and I am very happy with it. It's my daily driver until I get my new car and then it becomes the wife's. While buying this MDX, the TL started to grow on me.
    I like what it has to offer, but pales in comparison to the Lexus' comfort and service after the sale.... but the TL's price tag is $10,000 less.

With that being said, I am still slightly leaning toward the IS, but I'll wait and see how much the new 07 TL Type-S appeals to me.

I like the look of the iterior on the TL, can live with the exterior (Does nothing for me, just my opinion)
    But I would hate to drop that much coin on a car and then find that it is showing the same symptoms as seen here.

I would like for the posters in the forum to be fair and accurate with their findings so us "soon to be" owners have facts to go on, and not just opinions on over-inflated issues.
    "...I'll wait and see how much the new 07 TL Type-S appeals to me."

Is a Type-S confirmed?
    I just noticed a weird phenomenon with my TL. After starting the car, if my first voice command is to turn the air conditioner on, the system will reply (both verbal and action) with a play CD response. I have tried speaking very slowly, and deliberately "Air Conditioner On", but without fail the response would be "CD play disc 1 (or 2, 3, etc)".

This appears to only happen with the "Air Conditioner On" command.

Also, if I utter another voice command first, for example, increase fan speed, and then command air conditioner on, it will respond correctly.

Very weird! :confuse:
  • seanh2oseanh2o Member Posts: 27
    I just noticed today that I have couple of paint chips on the hood. Now I agree that Cincinnati high is full of junk and we constantly get bombarded by rock chips, but I didn't expect the TL's paint to chip so easily. My friend has a civic for about year now with simiarly commute patern, and his car has none as significant as mine.

Now my TL06 has about 4000 miles and is about 2 months old. Anyone think that TL06 has weaker paint?
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    Why is the TL such a target for trolls? Cause you get a lot of car for $31K?...

I suspect your right..you do get alot of car for the money, and something that we might overlook here.... Just the pure number of 3rd generation Acura TL's sold vs BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti. Your talking about a car that sells 2 or 3X more units per month then it's competition.

If say 5-10% (just picking a number here..) are not happy with their TLs...that is not an insignificant number of people, due to the sheer number of units being pumping out of Ohio. As compared to the number of Lexus-IS,BMW-3,Infinti-G35 units sold in the US.

So any single design problem will tend to be seen/talked about alot more with the TL, then with it's competitors.
    "Is a Type-S confirmed?"

Yes
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Where are the details of this confirmation?

I hope they are incorporating the SH-AWD on this new Tyoe S.
    SH-AWD is most likely not going to be available in 2007. Acura attempted to make this happen for the 07 model but are unable to successfully squeeze the system into the existing size. They didn't want to rush the necessary changes, so this is slated for the '09's redesigned model.

As for documentation, I have nothing except for the gossip online.

I talked to my dealer. They nag me every time I bring my '06 MDX in for oil changes... since they know I'm currently looking at the Lexus IS... and the TL grew on me a little, due to it's price.

2 of the guys at my dealer went to the Acura conference this year and they were told that the '07 WILL have a Type-S option... and the A-Spec is going away.

I have no idea how a 300+ HP FWD car will do.
    The existing TL already has torque steer issues.

We'll have to wait and see.
    Now, the '09 with the Type-S package and SH-AWD... :surprise:
    That'll be fun to drive!
    "Now, the '09 with the Type-S package and SH-AWD..."

So...I guess all the RL fans better get theirs by 2008 at the latest. :P
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    The existing TL already has torque steer issues.

Really? Like what? Do you own a TL? I've had mine for 7 months an RARELY feel torque steer. Yea I know with FWD and power it can be there, but the torque steer issue is so overblown, unless you're racing your car. And if you're racing, then why did you buy a FWD vehicle?

95% of TL owners probably never push their car to where torque steer is an issue. So who cares about it?

I don't.
    The torque steer with the automatic is not excessive, but it's there nonetheless. Yes, it shows up mostly went you stomp on the gas hard, especially in corners or when the road surface is uneven. But even in moderate driving, I think it manifests itself in the form of a slightly squirrelly steering feel, a little loosey goosey feeling in the steering, for lack of a better description.
    I agree, there is torque steer. As there is for any powerful FWD. But, being aware of it helps. If you're going to stomp on the go pedal, have a good grip, let 'er rip and enjoy! In a completely benign, safe environment, of course...

It doesn't bother me, I appreciate the advantages of FWD more than the torque steer bothers me.

And (I don't remember who was the poster) for those that claim the Impala SS has no torque steer, you might want to check out one of the recent AutoWeek mags. Both testers would strongly beg to differ... I believe (I'll have to read again) they both liked the SS, but torque steer? Oh, yes. Very much they write.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    That's exactly what I used to do with my '02
    Maxima. Whenever I felt like letting her rip,
    I would put two hands on the steering wheel and
    hold on tight and let her go. Ahh, it was so
    cool having my head get pushed back into the
    seat from the wonderful power!
    Rest in peace, my pretty Max!
    Most people don't drop $35,000 on a car and then drive it like they stole it.... but those who shop around for a sports sedan have a certain expectation on how that car should perform.

300hp and FWD.... anyone with common sense knows that the torque steer on that will be horrendous.
    All I am saying is that the SH-AWD is on it's way for a reason.... to address this issue.
    Too bad it's 3 years away.
    "...but those who shop around for a sports sedan have a certain expectation on how that car should perform."

Agreed. And that is why the shopper should buy the car that most meets those expectations. If you do not want a powerful, torque-steering FWD sedan, do not buy it! And if you do buy it, don't complain about torque steer! :P

Oh, yeah. We gotta stop replying to this thread. I'm sorry, but the TL is very, very far from beign a "piece of junk!!!" :)

• justinsblacktljustinsblacktl Member Posts: 3
    I'll tell you a very sweet looking combination....NightHawk Black Pearl Exterior w/Quartz (gray) interior and the Gold Emlems! This exterior-interior combination is very difficult to find. the Acura dealership here in Lancaster, PA had to do like a 4 or 5 state search for a 2005 TL that had this color combination....well, after approx. 1 week last April 2005 they found me my 2005 TL. Very Sweet.
    The only thing is that Black is a [non-permissible content removed] to keep clean!!!
    The only thing is that Black is a [non-permissible content removed] to keep clean!!!

You're supposed to keep the car clean?

I have Anthracite - looks OK dirty. Drives the same clean or dirty.

The gold emblems on black do look sweet. The spoilers have been growing on me too. I might get one off EBay. The dealer wants your right one for them.
  • jacksonkidjacksonkid Member Posts: 9
    What symptoms have anyone noticed before they repaired their HID headlights. My drivers side light seems to go in and out while driving. Any other issues? Sounds familiar?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I like the look of the TL with the spoiler also. I've also seen some with the front under
    body spoiler and the rear under body spoiler.
    The car looks sweet!!
    I've also seen some with the decklid spoiler
    which is more blended in with the rest of the
    car. Any thoughts on which looks better, regular spoiler or decklid spoiler?
    I like the decklid spoiler myself. More subtle, less boy-racerish. If it is good enough for BMW, it's good enough for the TL! ;)