Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    Bridgestone Potenzas "RE960AS Pole". I got them at Tires Plus for a total of $868.71 w/tax ($713.72 in "parts", $109.95 in labor and $45.04 in tax). I really like them. They seem quieter than my previous factory original tires, they "grip" well and most importantly they handle pretty darn well in all conditions but especially in winter.
    I don't know. The last time I had it in to the tire shop for tire replacement I recall he said one of the wheels was a little bent and they tried their best to put weights on it to balance it out. It used to only "shimmy" in colder weather and in the low rpm range around 40-50 mph. But lately it seems like it's been shimmying more frequently in a variety of conditions. I need to take it in.
    By the way, how much were the Brembo rotors? Did you have them professionally installed? If not, how difficult and time consuming was it to do it yourself? Are there any specs I'd need to order these? Thanks.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    LD,

My '05 TL's dash started getting chalky shortly after I bought it.

Someone recommended Black Magic Pro Shine Protectant.

One application lasted for months.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    On the phonebook... I have a Toyota Prius (08) and my wife is driving the Acura (08). I must say, the Prius phone book is SO EASY - here are the issues I have, so if I missed something please let me know...

On the TL - to use the phone book, other than by voice, I have to push INFO, then phonebook, then the phonebook I want to use (in case there are 2 different phonebooks in the system) then I can hit LIST or search for a name. What a PAIN! I want to skip the step where I have to 'select' the phone book I want to use. I have arranged the most common names so they are on the top (first page) of the Acura phone book (did this by placing an "A" in front of the names I want to be on the 1st page). Any way to eliminate pushing the 'select phone book' ?

On the Prius, it's so 'user friendly' - I can store 'speed dials', 18 of them. I have one page for Family, one page for Friends, and one page of name for Hobby friends of mine. Very cool. Easy to get to or I can voice dial also. WHEN I PUSH the steering wheel 'on hook' buttom, the phonebook pops up on the display, I can easily select who I want to call - 1 button... it works great. I can also place a PAUSE into any number easily!! Acura, you missed the boat on this.

If I missed anything, please let me know. I continue to research because I don't believe Acura would be so 'behind the times' on this. It's a poor design for a phonebook.
    My Acura came with a 4" thick phone book. It was a PAIN to rifle through it to find my friends and family's contact information. Ugh. Of course, it does come in handy when I need to see over those 'taller' Lexus, Infiniti and other vehicles. I just put the phone book under my rear end and, voila!, I'm 4" taller.

Actually I've never used the bluetooth or phone book features (if the '05 has a phonebook) as I live by my Windows-based Treo. Hopefully someone else can help you out.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    It's officially spring: First handwash (Z-7) followed by an application of instant shine (Z-6). I gotta again give props to Zaino. It's been 6 months of New England winter since my last application of Z-2, but after the wash still a great shine! And bettered with the Z-6. Just good stuff.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• lockgiantslockgiants Member Posts: 29
    Hey guys... So my odometer just turned to 5K on my 08 TL (got it this past december). my oil reader is currently at 30%. I'm assuming it works based on a mileage senson and doesnt actually know how good the oil is. How often do you change your oil? how exact is the oil sensor? my driving style is pretty relaxed. i go over 3k rpms on few occasions, and i usually cruise around 70 on the highway. can i get some ideas on how long the oil really lasts?? appreciate it!
    I was told by my service manager that the oil meter is not just a "ticker" that counts miles, it also factors in rpm, engine temp etc. :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I wish it would also measure oil level.
  • trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    There is an Acura TSB on the rattle on the top center of the dash under the front center speaker grille. There is a rattle between the speaker and the grille. The TSB says to put foam insulation between the speaker and the grille. I started to hear the same rattle once it warmed up outside. Sometimes I can lightly tap on the speaker grille and the rattle will occur.

I have other rattles in the accessory box in front of the shifter and also the glove box. (another common rattle is from the rear deck behind the back seat - Acura has a TSB on correcting that one as well)

Today the back of the drivers seat broke/fell off. I found there is also a TSB on this problem for TL from 04 - 08. You think Acura would have fixed this problem long ago.

I will be setting up an an appointment with Acura service once again to get the seat back fixed and the rattles fixed.

This is my 2nd Acura and by far has more cosmetic problems than I would expect from an Acura, although there have been no mechanical problems. I purchased my '08 TL in Feburary and the first 3 weeks I had the car, the dealership had it almost 2 weeks fixing interior problems and exterior paint defects.

The Acura dealership has been great in fixing the problems but I am very dissapointed in Acura especially becuase I purchased my 2nd Acura over others based on my previous Acura being almost problem free and expected the same with the '08 TL. Acura's QC certainly needs major improvements.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The TL is a well-known rattle trap. The Lexus is nothing to write home about, either. Go buy a Chevy Impala SS. It has NO rattles and goes faster than the TL. Cheaper, too.
    The seat "fell off!" You don't say! What a junk box! My Chevy Impala SS has solid seats that don't fall off. The leather is of high quality and does not crack, peel or fade. Go buy one, you'll be surprised!
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    I know this isn't an Impala post, but people need to educate themselves with the poor reliability and svc history of most american cars...as seen in Consumer reports
    Historically, American cars have been for the most part poor cars and not worthy of buying. I know I would not touch one from 1975 to 2003. But an interesting thing has been happening the past 5 or so years. American cars have actually been getting very good and reliable, too. The CR reports and statistics will take a while to catch up with the reality of the cars. The Impala SS and the new Malibu are world class. I have not had a lick of trouble in two years with my Impala. I originally was going to purchase an Acura TL but the widespread reports of reliability issues, rattles, harmonic vibrations, bad seat leather, premature tire wear, etc., etc., etc. scared me off and I bought the SS. I have not regretted it a day since. Furthermore, the car was cheaper to buy than the TL and the dealer network is the best in the business.
  • herbert11herbert11 Member Posts: 22
    Went out to start my 2006 TL the other day and the battery was dead. I called Acura road service and they were there within half hour. They told me to let the car run for 45 minutes to re-charge the battery. I did that. I then went to the mall, took care of business, and when I tried to start the car it was dead. Called Acura road service and once again they were prompt in getting there. I drove directly to the dealer. They examined the car and told me the battery was shot. The battery was replaced under warranty. The car has 25,000 miles on it. This the second time in the last 6 weeks that the car has been in the dealers because of mechanical or electrical failure.
  • lockgiantslockgiants Member Posts: 29
    Hey guys. has anyone else noticed this... when I drive highway speeds with my back windows open, the sound becomes VERY distorted. I would think such a obvious wind issue would be better documented on these forums, so maybe its just my car (08' tl). Any ideas?? Thanks!
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    We have a 2000 TL that we bought new. It has not had one dollar of maintenance at a dealership in 8 1/2 years except for oil changes. We are just back from a 2300 mile trip at speeds that approached the triple digits at times and got 29.95 MPG. We are getting ready to get a new 2009 in the fall because they hold their value so well. I would not even think of looking at ANY GM product.
    "I would not even think of looking at ANY GM product."

Well, you therefore don't know what you might be missing, do you?

I had an Acura Legend in 1989 that did not give me any trouble, either, for the two years I kept the car, but that was 19 years ago. Reports on Acura's recent production TL cars as expressed on various car forums paint a different picture.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    C'mon priggly, you know this isn't the place...
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I did a lot of searching and ended up getting them from www.buybrakes.com. I have always done a lot of car work and I have all the tools I need. Replacing the rotors and brakes take about 1/2 hour each wheel, but if you have never done it, I would recommend you either have them done professionally or get a knowledgeable friend to help. I believe the rotors cost about $250 total. All you need to order them is the model of the car. You also need to buy from the local Honda or Acura garage the two flat head screws that hold the rotors on. They cannot be reused and you will need a center punch to remove them. I have never had this car stop so smoothly.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    It's officially spring: First handwash (Z-7) followed by an application of instant shine (Z-6). I gotta again give props to Zaino. It's been 6 months of New England winter since my last application of Z-2, but after the wash still a great shine! And bettered with the Z-6. Just good stuff.

Well, I thought of you this weekend while I was washing the car in 70+ degree weather. It was the perfect weekend for the Spring ritual, but I have to wait.
    Some dingbat rear-ended me at a red light last week so the car is going in for a little touchup tomorrow. I figure that since it's getting a new rear bumper skin, they'd just buff off all my hard work anyway... so I have to wait until she comes home.

I also hit the car with Z-7 and followed up with Z-6. I'm amazed at how good it looks.
    It's still getting the Clay/Z-5/Z-2 treatment... multiple layers, but this looks great until I have the car back to do so.

You're right... good stuff!
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    it's an airflow issue common with most 4 door cars...either crack a front window a bit or don't drive at highway speeds with the back windows down....air comes in and tries to find a way out.....no big deal
    I can't remember the last time I had any window open while the car was in motion, at any speed! Who needs to open windows when you have air con!
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    If you have a Type-S, then there is Active Noise Cancellation that is trying to cancel out the noice from the wind coming in the back windows. I find it quite annoying myself and there is no button to turn the ANC off. You could disconnect the micropohone that is in the rear.
  • mywifesacuramywifesacura Member Posts: 1
    Our 06 TL is coming up on 18,000 miles and front brakes started to squeal for the first time. Had them checked at dealer and were told that was normal wear and had 1.5 mm left on pads. Dealer wants $360 to do front or $200 for Brembo pads only to do it yourself. I think I found them for $143 + S/H. It seems a good price considering. Rotors look in good condition. Is there anything special I should know on the Brembo caliphers in replacing the pads? What do you think about having the rotors turned? I hear on both sides that you should and you shouldn't. You hear alot of people talking about the squeaks and squealing but we have not had any of that except just the other day and not since. I don't care for the excessive break dust, but this is a sign of normal wear says the dealer. On these pads is 18,000 miles reasonable? I was thinking of staying with Acura pads what do you think about after market pads?
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    Since you have the Brembos, I see you have a manual transmission.

Replacing the brakes is not very difficult, however, if your rotors need to be resurfaced, then this is something you will need to have a shop do for you (unless you have the equipment yourself, but likely not). Only way to know is to examine the rotor and see how even it is.

Lots of good DIY information on Acurazine
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    On my 2007 TL, I now see an imprint on the dashboard. It is on the passenger side where passenger air bag is located. It became visible about a month ago (11 months after purchase.) It is about 4x7 inches; a frame with round edges. Any ideas about this?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    It is the airbag compartment...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Yep, if you don't mind driving a car that looks like a piece of plain, white bread...get the SS.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    It's not so much the "noise" of the air coming in.
    The issue is more with the pressure of the air coming in and "thumping" as it purges through the car looking for an escape.
    I suppose I can see where the noise cancelation could attempt to cancel this out.... but all the noise cancelation in the world can't fix a pressure issue.

This is common in most 4-door vehicles... and not just sedans.
    I find that cracking the front windows or popping the moonroof solves this pressure issue.
  • astro1989astro1989 Member Posts: 4
    I have this same problem on my 1998 Acura EL6. Did you find the solution? I would just like to disable my security. Do you or anyone know how to do this? The dealer hasn't been much help.
    I have a 1998 Acura EL 6 that the security alarm randomly sets itself off. Does anyone know how to disable this security system. It doesn't seem to matter if I press my remote door locks once or twice or lock them with the key the alarm randomly goes off with very verying times. Just to be able to lock the doors without alarming the system would be fine with me. Thanks to all replies.
    As far as I know, you cannot disable the alarm --- it is integrated into the door-locking system.
    Thanks, I was afraid of that but somewhat expected the news because i can find nothing on diabling it.
  • flynlowflynlow Member Posts: 1
    my 05 TL had about 22000 miles when the brake started squeaking took it to dealer had them look at it and they ended up changing pads and turned the rotors and did it under warranty have been treated great by dealer
  • asully1979asully1979 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Acura TL. Within the past 3-4 months, my A/C only blows cold when I'm moving. When I stop for longer than maybe 20 seconds, it starts blowing really warm air. When I finally pick back up the speed, it starts getting cold and it has a really funky smell (kinda like an old musty smell or something). Any idea on what may be the cause? Wanted to get opinions before I go to an expert. I put in more freon and nothing different. Help! :confuse:
  • trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere either in the vacuum reservoir that is not holding vacuum (could be something a simple as a vacuum check valve but quite often the check valve is part of the vacuum reservoir tank and not individually replaceable), a broken/leaky vaccum line or a leaking vacuum motor that works the actuator arm that opens and closes the air duct door to the heater core (when this air duct door opens comletely with the A/C on, it lets the warm air pass over the evaporator core that can rapidly causes the evaporator core to defrost and that is most likely the smell).

Being the air gets cold when you are accelerating, the vacuum gets stronger and overcomes a vacuum leak but when you slow down, the vacuum leaks down. The first choice is on a leaky vacuum reservoir tank/check valve but using a vacuum gauge will tell for sure where the leak is at.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    I'd also check the radiator mounted electric fans to be sure they are operating to move cooling air through the radiator and A/C coils while the car is not moving. When you first start your car in the morning (before it warms) immediately turn on the A/C and be sure the electric fan motors ( I think there are 2 of them on that year) are running. If not, that will be the problem so then check the fan fuses.
    Thanks for the help! i'm going to be checking immediately on this. I appreciate it SO much!!!!
    Tomorrow when I first start the car I'll have my husband take a look. I appreciate so very much for the help!
  • mogal1mogal1 Member Posts: 9
    Hello all,

I am looking at buying a used 2004 TL with 45k miles, private sale, non-navi. Owner wants about $18,800.

Are there particular issues I should be on the lookout for in this year and model? I'm trying to find a good local mechanic for an inspection but would like to have an idea of potential/likely problem areas before I get in too deep, especially since I would be the third owner, a possible red flag. I'd heard about transmission problems some time ago, is there a production date by which those were fixed?

One problem that jumps out: the leather in the car (parchment) seems unusually badly worn, the driver's seat is nearly threadbare and has lots of cracks and fissures. Is this a common issue, and if so how have people dealt with it?

The car also has badly mismatched tires (newish front tires, nearly threadbare rear tires) which would need to be replaced, a jerky passenger side window, and tar spots (on a white car). I think some price adjustments would be in order.

Can anyone offer any help or advice? Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like a car that hasn't been particularly well taken care of....maybe you avoid this one.
  • bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    I have owned my '04 TL since it was new and have been very happy with it. My only complaint is it has been notorious for eating up tires. I just put on my 3rd set (37,000 miles currently) and finally was told by my mechanic NOT to put Z rated tires on there...they are too soft. I went with his suggestion which was Michelin Primacy. About $1k drive out for 4 @ my local NTB. they have a high tread wear :) rating also. I would negotiate that on your deal. As far as the interior, no cracks or tears, but I keep my cars looking nice. 16 miles in the city, 26 plus on the highway. Nice engine-good pick up. No mechanical problems to date other than the tire issue. Good luck-I think it is a great car.
  • rhinoboyrhinoboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 TL Type S with 85,000 miles on it. I drive an average of 750 miles a week.

#1. At what intervals should I be changing the oil? I have been changing the oil every 3,000 miles but this is getting to cost too much and I have heard that I should instead be changing the oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles.

#2. At how many miles should I have the timing belt checked or replaced? I have been told by my Accura Dealership that it is recomended at 85,000 miles and costs around $900 dollars due to the amount of labor costs for the 8 hour job.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi fellow Acura TL enthusiasts,

I parked underneath a tree yesterday for 3 hours yesterday and as I drove away, I noticed plenty of tree sap spots on my entire car. For fear of making it worse, I haven't tried to wash my car by hand because the sap was sticky and I didn't want to harm the paint and further smear the sap.

What do I do? How should I remove this sap safely? I wanted to take my car into the detailers but I want to make sure they are careful with this sappy stuff. It looks like a risky job. Otherwise, I would prefer to take care of this myself. Help! Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks! :cry:
  • xyz17xyz17 Member Posts: 10
    Dont know if this is helpful or not...but I had the same issue with my Camry and I just washed it...actually it rained a couple of days after the Tree SAP fell on my car and everything got washed away...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sometimes very cold plain water works the best.
    I had tree sap fall on our '07 MDX almost a year ago and its finally starting to flake off. Whatever you do don't scrape it off. I was very reluctant to use anything to remove it. This must have been industrial strength sap.
  • aghmomaghmom Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post so I hope it is in the right place?

We just had a 2002 acura tl transported from florida (it was my moms car) she had purchased a new car and hadn't started the acura in 3 weeks in the hot florida sun; when the transport guy went to start the car it wouldn't start so he sprayed some wd40 on the air filter and it started - car is delivered started fine but idling very rough and check engine light is now on - we replaced the air filter still nothing - I have made an appointment with acura for tomorrow but don't want to get ripped off any ideas would be truly appreciated - should we put dry gas and fill the tank it is at about a quarter tank???

Thanks in advance!!