Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    You might have to hit it once straight into the screw near the outer edge to make an indentation. Then tilt the center punch forward and tap it in the direction the screw turns. Once I did that, they moved easily. I also tried an impact driver to no avail. The Honda parts guy told me they never come out unless you use some persuasion.
    Let me know how it goes.
  • st1300ldrst1300ldr Member Posts: 2
    Center punch worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip! I really don't see why they are necessary. Once the wheel is on, the rotor isn't going anywhere, but I'll get new ones just the same.
  • teestlteestl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 TL ~40kmi that is on it's third battery. They have been replaced under waranty but this seems strange that the batteries would only last a yr or so. The dealer hasn't found anything wrong. Anyone else had this issue?
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi fellow TL enthusiasts,

I had posted before re: scratches on my window tint and I took my TL back to the window tinter who said he'd never seen this before. Like many of you had told me the windows need moleskin to protect from debris getting caught between the felt strip and glass. I received a quote of $216 for the installation of the moleskin on all 4 windows. The materials only cost $60 so I'm paying for the labor. (I paid $215 for the original tint so this is really adding up.)

My question to you all is: Do the doors need to be taken apart for the moleskin to be applied? The tinter said that's what is involved which makes me very hesitant. That sounds like a big ordeal to me...

Any feedback would be great because I am unsure how to proceed.

Thanks for advice! (BTW, does Acura know what a bad design the TL's windows are? My Acura Integra of 13 years with tinted windows never had this problem!) :cry:
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    Isn't there some sort of warranty on the tint job??!
  • trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    I have an '08 TL that the Acura dealership tinted the windows. All 4 windows scratched the window tint. The sales and service staff all know about this problem as well as Acura but do not tell potential buyers of this problem as it may compromise a sale. When I complained to Acura, their response was the TL was not designed for after market window tint, Acura was not changing the design of the window wiper strip or adding felt to prevent the scratches and therefore Acura had no further involvement with my complaint. Acura pointed out that other manufacturers such as Mercedes have the same or worse problem with their windows when tinted. Regardless, this is a very poor excuse from Acura. The '09 TSX does have felt on the window wipers and should not have this problem. Have not seen an '09 TL but Acura told me in May there was no design change in the '09 TL window wipers so if that is the situation, the '09 will have the same problem scratching the window tint.

The dealership did replace the window tint on all 4 windows which since has scratched again. I have an '88 Acura Legend with window tint that has never scratched.

The window wipers must be removed from the door in order to properly clean the window wiper strip to get the adhesive to stick to the rubber and the door panel has be be removed (be careful not to strip the lower bumper mounting screw if you remove the door panels). Eventually the moleskin may peel off and if it does, will stick to the window tint and completly ruin the window tint as well as cause excess strain on the window motor which can cause it to prematurely fail. My Acura dealer as well as several other window tint shops around town have tried moleskin with these results.

Hope my experience helps you decide.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I had the felt installed when I got the windows on my 06 TL tinted. I watched the guys working and removing the door panels to get to the rub strip was no big deal. No scratches to date.
  • andrecandrec Member Posts: 1
    I'm a sophomore at Suny Albany and I live on Long Island and one night I drove through a puddle thinking I would make it through and I totally underestimated its size. I almost made it through before my car stalled. I have a cold air intake that has its filter down at the bottom of the engine and I dont know why my engine isn't starting. Supposively the cars computer shut off the car went into smart mode and isn't letting anything else further the damage. It tries to start but doesnt switch over. It might be my fuses or spark plugs but I am completely clueless to what could be the problem. Is it possible water got sucked into the engine? Does anyone have any advice for this situation. I have to get it towed to a mechanic or an Acura Dealer before next week because I have an appointment back home for a free transmission due to the recall before 112,000 miles which I really want to recieve. I also feel that I woud be taken advantage of and charged way more than what its worth if I dont know what's wrong with it. If anyone could get back to me as soon as possible it would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks for everyone's replies to my concerns. So trailhiker, did you get the moleskin installed or not? Your explanation makes sense but it also makes me hesitant.

My window tint guy said if I don't get the moleskin installed, the warranty on the tint will be voided. It looks like I don't have a choice but to get the moleskin installed.

Any comments are appreciated. This is so frustrating and such a design defect!
    After 3 months "bickering" with American Honda (Acura) and the Acura dealership, the Acura dealership refunded the total cost of what I paid them to tint the windows and also let me decide if I wanted them to remove the window tint or leave it on so I left the window tint on. Even though American Honda would not do anything, the dealership did make an earnest effort to provide some level of satisfaction. I feel the same way, the TL is a great looking car and not to be able to tint the windows is crazy and definately detracts from the style of the car.

After researching every window tint dealer in the Dallas area, I took my '08 TL to Altamere Window Tint (http://www.altamereplano.com/home/) for them to look at it. They have stores nationwide. The store manager said he was aware of the window tint scratch problem with Honda and Acura and told me to leave the original tint on until it scratched enough it bothered me and to bring it to them and they would remove the old window tint, (the rear window would not have to be retinted) and install new tint and moleskin if needed. He said if they felt they did not need to install the moleskin and the windows scratched, he would replace the window tint at not cost and install the moleskin. He really wanted to install the moleskin as a last resort. He felt like the rubber window wipers would either would smooth out of if there were severe enough rough spots on the wipers then he would install the moleskin.

What I have been doing to minimize the window tint scratching is using a lint free cloth that you would use to clean a pair of eye glasses and running the cloth between the top window wiper and the window tint to remove any dirt build up. Since doing this, I have not noticed the existing scratches getting worse or new scratches appearing.

I probably will eventually have Altamere retint the windows if the scratches get worse and it becomes an eyesore.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Trailhiker. I, too, am thinking that moleskin should be the last resort. Given that my window tint guy has never installed moleskin (he works with high end vehicles like Masseratis and Ferraris but also mid-level vehicles), I simply don't trust him. I would prefer to have an experienced tinter who has dealt with moleskin and preferably Acuras, take care of the moleskin. If I knew this was going to be an ongoing issue, I would not have taken my TL in.

With that said, I think I'm going to hold off on the moleskin. I'm bummed that I will have to treat the windows with so much extra care- I think that's ridiculous but none of us knew this when forking over the money for a nice car such as the TL.

Living in So. Cal. and having my last Acura tinted, it was a no brainer. Little did I know that I was dealing with a design defect. That is so frustrating. I'm keep this in mind when I buy next car!
    So will you ever have to pay a shop to replace pads or rotors again? I hope not since they are so easy to do. I am 72 and have been doing my own work since I was 16 and have saved thousands.
    I agree about the flat head screws. Many people just do not replace them. I did because they were cheap and easy to pick up at the local Honda garage. After putting on the Brembo rotors, I could not get over how smooth the stopping was. How about you?
  • JCArteagaJCArteaga Member Posts: 1
    I have an Acura TL 2000 with navagation and the A/C controls do not seem to work. I try to turn it off on the navagation screen and it will not turn off. None of the controls on the screen seem to respond except the ones that change the direction of the airflow. The speed controls and on and off do not respond. Can anyone help before I have to take it in somewhere that will charge me an arm and a leg. Do I need to just replace the navagation screen? Thanks!
  • jkisjcajkisjca Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 TL. I've noticed that the molding that runs completely around the front door openings are easily scuffed/torn by the bottom of my shoe. Does anyone know of a protective plate that I can purchase. I asked some floor mat makers if they have mats that cover/protect the door sill. No one does. I saw a 2008 BMW 328i that has some sort of rigid plastic or vinyl protective cover that came with the car. Very good idea. Wish Acura would have done the same thing.
  • ilikecars23ilikecars23 Member Posts: 28
    my 04 TL has 53k miles and it runs great. Ive been noticing lately when the trans is going from 4th to 5th it sometimes hesitates or gets confused as if its not sure it wants to drop down into 5th. Im hoping this isnt a sign of the transmission issues that i frequently hear about with the TL's. Sometimes when it does drop into 5th i can feel a noticeable thud. I had the TL in about a month ago for a complete trans flush and was told the fluid looked great that came out, and that the car was in excellent mechanical condition. Any thoughts or anyone else expierence this with the trans?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I've got an '04, and unless I'm looking at the tach, I wouldn't notice it going into 5th --- it is that smooth. I wonder if your service guy put in the proper tranny fluid after the tranny flush?
    Well ill admit mine is pretty smooth too for the most part. I just pay very close attention sometimes to what the car is doing. Its funny my TL seems to shift the smoothest when i accelerate hard. Only when im driving with a light foot is when i notice the 4 to 5 shift hesitation. My previous car was a lexus gs300 and even under light acceleration i never felt this sensation. Im sure if anyone else drove my car they wouldnt even notice.
    Hi everyone,

I went through a series of incidents with a dead battery on my 2007 TL last year. I'd leave the car for a day or two and the TL would be lifeless. I posted my adventure here and after a battery draw test and leaving the car at the dealership for several days to see if the same thing would happen, the dealership gave me a new battery. This was in October 2007.

It has been mentioned that having nav might draw from the battery, even when the car isn't being used. This is sounds awfully ridiculous that us drivers have to suffer after paying so much money for a nice car like the TL.

Last night, after letting the TL sit for 1 day, the battery was dead again. What is the problem with TLs and their batteries?

What should I do? Should I make an appointment with the dealership again and get the run around?

I am very frustrated and tired of this recurring battery problem. :cry:

What do you advise that I do? Thanks for your help!
    Does you state have a lemon law? If so, investigate it and see how many times they require that the car require maintenance. After some number, like three times, they force the company to replace it with a new car.
    I live in CA and I believe they have a lemon law. I will do some research on this. Does anyone have any info on this?

BTW, I just got off the phone with the dealership and they said they have never heard of such a problem. That sounds fishy to me considering they dealt with me last year. My service advisor said he's never heard of a problem after leaving the TL for such a short period of time. (My Edmunds posts from 2007 document my battery issues.) My main concern here is that I don't want to be stranded somewhere knowing that the battery is so unreliable. New batteries shouldn't be this sketchy and unpredictable.

Grrrr...any advice is appreciated because I'm running out of options. :(
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    There are 162 posts on this site alone about TL battery problems, commencing with the 2004 model year; and, the problem appearently continues. Two friends of mine had the same battery problem in their brand new TL's, both had navigation systems. I have a 2005 TL without nav and fortunately its gone 4 years without a battery problem, sitting for weeks at a time. As I recall, first they thought it was a system drain related to the nav system, then it was a bad batch of batteries, then it was the blue tooth device, and now I'm not sure they know what is going on, especially from your dealer's comments.
    There are service bulletins that were put out in the past by ACURA on the problem but it looks like they still don't have a handle on it from the posts I've seen. I'd definitely contact ACURA, possibly a different dealers' repair department, and look into the lemon law of your state.
    ".....sitting for weeks at a time."

You mean you just park it continuously for several weeks without even turning the engine over to idle once in a while? But it starts right up afterwards? Sometimes I park mine for a week or so, but afterwards when I crank the ignition it may hesitate for a second before firing up.
    Can someone tell me the interval for timing belt replacement for TL
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Yes. I often go continuously for several weeks at a time without starting it and it starts up right away, with absolutely no weak battery or hesitation whatsoever on the engine starting. I think the longest period was about a month where I didn't even get in the car and it started right up.

Any car should be able to be parked for several weeks at a time without starting (such as at an airport when you go on a trip) and it should start right up when you get back. If it doesn't, something is not right.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I never had the battery problems in my '05 but I got a recall notice about the potential link between the nav and dead batteries. Took it in and had something replaced behind the nav screen.
    If I park mine for a week or 2, it will start but there is that slight hesitation before the engine catches, which is a little bit disconcerting. When I say hesitation I mean when I turn the key, there is no sound at all for a split second, then the engine turns over. Perhaps you live in a warmer climate than where I am.
    I had the same procedure done to mine. Sadly though, I hadn't gotten the recall notice ahead of time. :mad: I encountered the symptoms with the outside temp display going blank and the rear defrost being inoperative, then after parking it over the weekend, it was dead the following week. :cry:
  • 2tone2tone Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, I have a 99 Acura 2.5 TL...Yes i said 99 it still runs like a beauty but I'm having one issue. I started the car and it cut off on me, I started it again the TCS light came on the car rumble for 10 seconds (TCS light went off) then it got quite like the car wasn't even running. It's has a nav but mostly works in the winter time and not in the summer any who I've notice that lately the nav goes on and off by itself. Does any more know why the car is cutting off??? Can the nav issue be electrical? I've taken it to the Acura dealer and they have nothing for me, even when it's placed on the computer no problem are shown...Not ready to part ways just yet. :sick:
  • 2tone2tone Member Posts: 2
    Typo it's an Acura 3.2 TL :D
  • charles12charles12 Member Posts: 79
    Here is the suggestion: considering the time you spend on this issuse with the dealer, I would like to suggest you to buy a new battery from shops like walmart and install in by yourself. It cost about $70 or less.
  • nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    Hi, I was on the highway the other day and a little pebble hit my windshield and chipped a little on the glass. I had my car for 9 months now and I don't drive it that often. I'm very upset that it happened and that the windshield is cheaply made. We had a similar issue with a Honda civic too which a little pebble put a crack on the windshield. Should I take it to a dealer and have them replace it with an another Acura windshield before it cracks? Any advise is appreciated. Thx.
    I had a 2000 TL and had two windshields replaced from chips. The insurance company would not replace it unless the chip was in the line of sight. It is not that it is "cheaply made", it is the low sloping hood. All windshields are made the same I believe and many by the same company. Neither developed into a crack.
    We are recently back from a 2100 mile vacation in our new 08 and guess what, it got a chip on the windshield and paint off the hood. I hate it but I do not know of anything that can be done. I read somewhere that 3M is developing a film for it but I do not think it is out yet.
  • nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    rvator,
    thx for the response. when you said you believe all of the windshields are made by the same company, do you mean that all car companies use the same windshield company? the reason i ask is i never had that problem with my camry and it was hit many times with pebbles.
    Within the first couple of months after I bought my '04, I got a chip/small crack on my windshield, down near the bottom part. :cry: I ignored it, and well, almost 5 years later now, it hasn't gotten noticeably bigger. I might replace it if I get another chip/crack.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    I've had a small "star" shaped chip/crack in the lower right hand corner of my '05 TL windshield for about 6 months now. It hasn't grown/spider-webbed at all....yet.... Knock plood that it doesn't.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    no need to replace the windshield. Have the chip fixed at a glass repair facility. Insurance companies will normally wave the deductable. If you don't get it repaired it can spider web eventually.
    That's almost the exactly same location where my chip/crack is located!
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    My '05 TL was 3 mos old, I took it on it's first major road trip. As I began to pass a back hoe on a trailer, it hit a bump, a small cloud of dust blew off the machine and I heard a glass-break sound. The windshield had the smallest crack. It was a hot July week and the defect turned into a crack across the entire windshield within a week. I was so upset about my new car...
    I found out the dealer used a commercial glass place so I dealt with the glass place directly. They explained Accord and TL use the same windshield (so they are always in stock thanks to Accord's popularity) and theirs were from OEM supplier... 2+ years later, have had no problem w/ the replacement.

My current problem began a in the fall, a diesel-like noise when starting on a cold AM, worse w/ defroster on. Seems to go away as car warms. Thought of taking back to Acura but there were no other symptoms. I noticed it increasing recently, occurs with my foot on the accelerator. It got loud enough today (12/24) that I called the Acura dealer around noon, but the shop closed early for Christmas. After work, I noticed it even louder on my way home and the car would not shift into 5th gear on the highway. I put it in manual shift mode (to confirm the gear it was in) and tried manual upshift to 5th at appropriate hwy speed, no dice. Any similar experiences out there? Hope the dealer is open on 12/26.
    Thanks for any thoughts... :sick:
  • echowechow Member Posts: 2
    So I'm a new TL owner and unfortunately I already have a crack on my windshield. The quote I received from the dealer is $900. I have found other glass repair shops that charge around $2-300. Should I go to the dealer to replace it or go to the cheaper shops? Thanks
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    In my experience (see post 5177), the dealership told me they called in the glass shop's mobile van so I dealt with the glass place directly - their mobile van came right to my office. Could not have been easier. Since comprehensive insurance covers glass in my state (MA), price did no matter to me. Of course, it depends upon the glass place - I was happy with the shop I used.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Take it to a shop- the dealer does the same.
    By doing it at the dealer you are paying both the Dealer and the Glass Repair Shop.
    That's called double dipping in the Hedge Fund world.
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    I've noticed consistent postings about battery problems with the newer TL's. Does anybody know if you can pop the clutch (manual transmission of course) if you're in a pinch?

I have an '06 TL that has become my "airport rat" - it will occasionally have to sit in an airport parking lot for a long period of time. It replaced an old Miata I had that I could strategically park in a remote part of the lot that was on an incline. It worked quite well and I went for a considerable period of time before replacing the battery (expensive in the Miata).

I was going to go out and test it but if anybody has already done it, it would save the wear and tear and perhaps an unexpected unpleasant surprise.

Thanks...
  • KTamboKTambo Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 96 Acura 2.5TL for 2 1/2 yrs. Every now and then when we have a lot of precipitation, car won't start. Then starts right up the next day. So far have had: new main control relay for computer, new computer temp sensor, new up stream oxygen sensor and throttle air boot, mass air flow meter. Still an issue. Anyone else have this problem? Ideas?
  • YongseobYongseob Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sir,

This is also exactly the same situation I had recently.
    I am wondering if I ask you to tell me how you dealed with that problem.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks, Yongseob
  • landzglandzg Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I was in the dealership for regular B1 service (20K, 2007 TL S Type). The service costs about $180 but the service person told me I need to replace the front pad as well. I asked why it needed to be replaced after only 20K of driving and I am not an aggressive break-slam type. He said he doesn't know either but it definitely wore out completely. He also indicated these are high performance type break pad so would be costly. Does that make sense to anyone here? Would love to hear some inputs. I am in Pohanka Acura, VA dealer today.

Thanks,
    Land
    I think PPG make most windshield glass but I am not positive. Different companies buy the glass and cut and sag it to the correct shape and coutour, and then temper it. That also could change the hardness somewhat.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Again I had around 30K on mine when they replaced the pads on my 07 TLS and 20K or more was strictly Highway. I just hope they didn't recommend Rotors to be replaced too! They should only need cut. If not the rotors are defective and they should replace "free of charge" just like they replaced mine since they were defective. Acura is trying to make it up in the Service Department! Brembo Brakes aren't cheap! Easily just pad replacement $250 for the just the front! Good Luck!
  • mikenakamikenaka Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2008 Acura TL Type S. My first new car in 18 years. Prior to that I drove a 1990 Toyota Tercel that I never bothered washing or cleaning.

Consequently, I have some silly questions about cleaning the interior of my TL.
    1) What should I use to clean the seats? Some kind of leather cleaner? The seats are leather, correct?
    2) What should I use to clean and care for the dashboard? Is the dahboard vinyl or does it have a leather covering?
    I have no experience with anything other than vinyl (seats, dash, etc.).
    Thanks for any suggestions and help!
    Hi Acura TL drivers,

After the micro-scratches appeared on the tint of my windows, I had my windows re-tinted and had felt strips installed. (See my previous posts re: tint problems.) When the re-tint was complete, I took my TL to a different vendor to install the felt strips in the windows since my original tint guy had never done it before.

The felt strip installer discovered that the tinting place forgot to replace 2 of the screws inside my door panels. I am missing a big silver screw (which secures the inner door panel) and a smaller black one (to fasten the door handle). I searched high and low inside my car hoping to find the missing screws but came up empty-handed. I'm ticked off at the tint shop for their poor service and I'm fed up with them.

Where can I buy just 1 silver screw and 1 black screw to replace the ones the tint shop lost? Does Acura Parts just sell screws in small amounts? This window tint situation has driven me batty. :confuse:

Any advice is appreciated.
    Try this Web site for Acura parts. I have purchased numerous parts from them in the past and always had great service from them. They will sell individual parts and do not have a minimum order requirement. Look under the section for "Front Door Panel" and you will see a complete diagram and list of parts.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/catdisplay.jsp?inputstate=1&catcgry1=TL

Hope this helps.