Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mkacuramkacura Member Posts: 20
    Hey, thanks for the heads up on the Digital Fit. Looks very promising and reasonable in price. The Delray website looks good but they don't seem to have anything for the'09 TL. Am I missing something?
  • vincentlovincentlo Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone understand 2008 TL's Suspension system?
    Is it all mechanical parts or is there a digital part (sensor)?

Is it possible that there is something wrong with Shock absorber and suspension system in TL?
    And this may cause sometimes shimmy and sometimes not.

Thanks
  • trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    Try and give them (Delray) a phone call. They have always been very helpful when I have called. They may not have updated their Web site yet. When I purchased my 08 TL in Feb 2008 they had parts for the 08 TL.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The TL was substantially redesigned so it may take some time for the aftermarket suppliers to adjust. The '08 was pretty much a continuation so most of the stuff from '06-07 probably fit.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    When it comes to their AcuraCare extended warranties, Delray Acura seems to be about 50 per cent more expensive than the competition. I would stay away on that basis alone.
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    I moved to Minnesota two years ago, and last winter was pretty rough driving for my 2005 TL. The car never handled great in winter when I lived in southeast Michigan, but the snow and ice conditions in Minnesota are more significant/severe than southeast Michigan.

From what I hear the Blizzak tires are terrific in winter. I'm looking at buying some on TireRack.com. But I'm also considering buying their "wheel and tire" package - where they ship them to you already balanced, and I could just put them on the car myself.

My question to the forum is, have any of you done this? Anything I should be on the lookout for? It's certainly more expensive to buy the wheels AND tires, but I'm thinking it will be less hassle long-term to do it this way. I have plenty of room to store the wheels/tires in our garage or basement.

Presently the '05 has 52,000 miles and is running like a top. My plan is to drive it another five years and then give it to my daughter who will start driving at that time. So I think we'd get some good use out of winter tires.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/help.
    You're not alone. If I have one complaint about this car it's the tires. I can't put a finger on it, but sometimes I too have a "shimmy" in the car that hits around 45 - 55/60 mph. Lower than that...nothing; higher than that...nothing. But in that general range, and about 30% of the year (particularly in colder weather) I feel a vibration. I'm on my second set of tires (forget what they are; but not the same brand as the originals on my '05; I guess that had issues) and the second set is better than the first, but it's still there from time to time. I've had them rotated religiously, balanced, aligned, massaged, wined and dined...and it's still there. The guys at the tire shop finally said I better just learn to live w/it. They said these low profile tires on a performance-oriented front wheel drive car can be a little temperamental.

I don't necessarily believe them, but after two tires shops over 50,000 miles, and two sets of tires, I'm done trying to figure it out. I would take it to the Acura dealer but their rates are crazy (I can afford them, but refuse to pay it unless absolutely necessary). I just bought some wheels and winter tires on tirerack.com so we'll see if these are any better come winter.

Good thing I like everything else about the car!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    has anyone replaced the struts or rear shocks on a 2ndgenTL? I have a 2000 with 149K that is probably ready (1 is starting to leak).

just wondering how much it cost (or how difficult it is) to do the fronts or rears?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    not sure if you have the same problem as me but here is what happened; leased a 06 base TL and had no vibration/shimmy problems the entire two years I had the car; liked the car so much that I leased a 08 base TL which I currently have; from the get go noticed severe vibrations/shimmy in the wheel, pedals, seats, and even doors at time whenever I did over 50mph and the faster I went the worse it got so suffice it to say that doing 70-75mph on the interstate was a nightmare

took the car back to my acura dealer had the tires balanced, a front-end alignment done and a little extra pressure put into the tires; even had the mechanic look at the suspension and struts/shocks to make sure everything was okay but I mean the car only had about 1k miles on it so I didn't expect it to; everything with the suspension etc was okay and the dealership said it had to be something with the tires; the balancing and front-end alignment did nothing to fix the vibrations/shimmy

since I had the base car I had the bridgestone EL400 tires on my car and if you read about these tires on tirerack.com you'll see how lousy of a tire they are; took the car to a bridgestone/firestone dealership and told them about my problems and they told me that bridgestone is aware of a problem with these tires causing moderate-severe vibrations/shimmy in vehicles and is why they came out with the top of the line bridgestone serenity's; these are an expensive tire roughly $245 a tire for the TL but I was able to make my case to bridgestone and was able to get a take off and have four serenity's mounted and balanced for $100 bucks total

I know have about 11k miles on the car and since having the serenity's put on have had no vibrations/shimmy in the car at high rates of speed; overall I've been very happy but these tires are really expensive and I could not have afforded it without the adjustment, but after reading the poor reviews of the EL400 on tirerack I'm surprised Acura is still putting them on the cars; just read the reviews on tirerack about the bridgestone serenity's and you'll see a night and day difference between the stock EL400s
  • mdcatdadmdcatdad Member Posts: 14
    Several weeks ago I noticed a sound like crickets chirping when I started up cold. The dealership identified it as a loose fan belt and replaced it. The noise returned, so they then said it was the tensioner, and replaced it, then the belt.

Guess what? It's back again and I go in Monday for the 4th time?

Is this perhaps a known problem with 08 TL's? Mine only has 12,500 miles on it
    Most of the forum posts I read about the '05 TL tires seemed to indicate consistent issues w/the brand of tires, that's why I switched when I hit ~30k miles. (I forget what's on there now; too lazy to go look!). In general I'm happy w/my current tires, except for that little issue.

Still hoping someone can answer my other question!
  • optimistic1optimistic1 Member Posts: 1
    Don't even think twice about it, buy the wheel and tire package. I live in the suburbs of Cleveland and drive between 15K and 20K miles a year. After buying a used snow tire and wheel set for my previous vehicle from a coworker (originally purchased from TireRack), I will always have snow tires on my vehicle in the winter. I don't car if the vehicle is front, rear or all wheel drive, there is a night and day difference in handling in snow and ice. It's kind of like the difference between playing football in the mud with tennis shoes or cleats.

The odometer just hit 140000 on my 2002 TL-S that I bought back in Nov of 2001. I bought the wheel and tire package from TireRack for the first winter and 8 winters later I am just getting ready to replace the tires for this winter. (Last winter was a little more slippery than usual as I squeezed an extra winter out of them.)

It's easy to switch the wheels before and then after winter. If you clean the wheels, give them a quick coat of wax and mark them with chalk or a crayon, you can easily rotate them when you switch and both sets will continue to look almost new (as mine do).
    Thanks Optimistic1, that's great to hear.

I'm also thinking about changing and upgrading the brakes when I swap the wheels/tires for winter. I'm sure the info is somewhere in this forum, and I'll do a search, but if anyone knows this information off the top of their head I'd appreciate the following:

1) What upgraded brakes do you recommend for a 2005 Acura TL? I hear the Brembo brand tossed around quite a bit. I wouldn't mind a little more "oomph" in my braking power.

2) I recall hearing that I may need some sort of special tool to get the brakes and/or pads off, is that right?
  • mkacuramkacura Member Posts: 20
    Haven't read anything about this on the net but the 4th time????? Lemon Law??? :)
    Hi, I have a 2008 Base TL with just under 11k miles on it; within the last month I've noticed the brakes starting to grind a tiny bit and just yesterday I've smelled burning when I get out of my car from my rear wheels; the rotors have some minor scratching on them; this usually a sign that the brake pads need to be replaced I just pray the rotors don't have to be resurfaced; I'm annoyed because the car barely has 11k miles on it and there is no reason why the pads should have to be replaced or rotors resurfaced at this low miles; I wanted to know if anyone else with a base 07 or 08 TL has had problems with brake pads wearing out or had to have their rotors resurfaced at low mileage! any info would be helpful!
    I only have an '05 TL (53k miles) and I just replaced my front brake pads. And even then, they still had 30% to 40% life left on them. If I were you I'd take it into the shop and ask them what's up. The TL's are known to have tire issues, but I don't recall reading about persistent brake issues. Good luck!
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2007 TLS with BREMBO Brakes in the front and they needed replaced at 30K. I still have my original brakes in the rear with 48K on the car now. Original tires were shot at 30K also. The car mechanically hasn't given me any trouble except for the Transmission hunts and pecks for gears once and awhile not sure if I should mention it to the mechanic at Acura ...any opinions? The build quality is poor in my opinion. I mean the typical rattles, front door tracks had to be replaced, body creaks when I pull in from the side, suspension squeaks if you rock the car side to side. I wonder if it has anything with it being assembled in Ohio! Oh and by the way Acura.. the new TL is GOD AWFUL UGLY!!!!!!!! I will wait for the next Generation.. GOD I hope it looks better than a Transformer!!!! :P
    Just a follow up to my previous post re: brakes. My handyman Father replaced the front pads and he said it was the simplest brake job he's ever done. Total cost: $45 for the premium ceramic brake pads.

A few days later the back brakes started making some weird scraping noises. Not wanting to bother Dad again, I called a local mechanic and inquired about the price. Cost to replace rear pads/rotors: $400. (I can only imagine what the Acura dealer might charge). So I went out and bought high-end pads again for about $45, and new rotors for ~$55 (for the pair; fyi Acura dealer wanted $130 EACH for the rotors). My Dad replaced them last night and once again said it was very simple. I'm not sure I'd tackle it on my own because I'm not that handy and I'm always afraid I'll mess the job up and wind up costing myself a lot more in additional repairs. But the car/brakes run like a top now.
  • flasuncarflasuncar Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have the exact same issue with 08 TL. 20,000 miles on it. The issue is loud, screaching noise during a cold start first thing in morning. Does not seem to happen after until next cold start. I am sure its the same issue youre experiencing and the frustrating part is i have been to one dealer for 1st visit, then another dealer for 2nd visit, then a 3rd, and now i am on 4th visit. I believe this is a defect in certain 08 TL's that the don't know how to fix properly and are trying to "patch" the problem. Not what i expected from an acura product. :lemon: Losing confidence fast and am very upset!
    Hi, I was interested in replacing the halogen light bulbs Acura has illuminating the rear license plate with white LEDs, similar to the one's Lexus has on the ES and IS models; has anyone tried this yet and if so could you recommend the best type of bulb I could buy at a place like Autozone or PepBoys? any help would be appreciated!
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi everyone,

I've hit 26K miles and it's time for the B12 service visit. I called my local Acura dealership and was quoted $260! I'm suffering from sticker shock. :( What does this service entail? Should I find something cheaper? I'm sure my mechanic can do it for less than that.

Thank you in advance for your input!
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I live about 60 miles from the Acura dealer where I bought the car....and the last one also. I have NEVER had either one back to the dealer(except for tranny recall on the last one). I take it to the local Honda dealer and when I show the service manager what the book says to do, he says, "No, we don't do those things....Not necessary.....etc". I asked about the gaurantee and he said he had never had a problem with Honda gaurantee's and felt Acura would do the same.
    Your mileage may vary.
  • fisfis Member Posts: 18
    I am the original owner of a 2002 TL. This model had known transmission problems and the transmission warranty was extended to 7 years/100,000 miles.

I am now at 85,000 miles and the transmission has failed, but the car is now over 7 years old. Dealer is quoting me $2500 for a new transmission.

What are the chances I can get Acura to honor the warranty?

If they won't, can I get the transmission replaced more cheaply?
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    Unfortunately, some nasty curbs came out and bit my right front wheel on my '09 TLAWD. Anyone know where I can find touch up paint?
    Thanks,
    Chas
  • tom19382tom19382 Member Posts: 10
    I'm not sure what your wheels look like, but I have an 06 with the 5 spoke aluminum colored wheels. What I did to fix mine that were scraped on a curb looks great and can only be noticed if you're kneeling down lookingvery closely at the wheels. If the scrape is just on the outer edge, I used one of those Dremel hand held rotary tools with a small light grinding bit on the end. Use that to smooth out the rough edges from the curb and when it's smooth (you may want to use a finer sanding bit after the grinding bit to make it very smooth). Just get a small brush on bottle of aluminum colored touch up paint from any auto parts store. You won't find a paint code at the display for Acura wheels, so just look among all the manufacturers colors to find a color that closely matches your wheels. Brush that on to the repaired area and your wheels should look almost as good as new. Good luck and I hope this works for you!
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I had a Pontiac several years ago and it had a high performance engine. At 20K miles, the transmission started slipping so bad that it caused the engine coolant to boil. At the time, it was over the gaurantee time. I had it fixed and paid for it but then I went into action. I called the area GM person and when he would not agree to pay for it, I asked him for the name and phone number of his boss. Called the guy and he said he never reversed what his field man told him. I asked who his boss was and called him. Pretty soon I was talking to a guy in Detroit and I finally got a man to say they would look into it.
    What do you know. They paid it in full.
    Give it a try. They cannot do more than say NO.
  • scorpio6scorpio6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 TL. I inadvertently pressed lock and unlock buttons and now I can't link the remote back for the keyless memory features. I've changed the batteries on both #1 and #2 remotes (latter seldom used) and a couple of times I was able to link them, but the link only holds for a short time. That is, they become unlinked by themselves. After holding down the lock and unlock buttons, I am assuming that seeing the red LED light blink twice means that it is linked. Right?

I'm reluctant to buy new remotes because I'm not sure they are the problem--especially since #2 hasn't been used much at all. Appreciate your help.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Step 1: Page 94 owner's manual
    To relink repress both lock and unlock buttons simultaneously and wait for the 1 SECOND SINGLE red light . The double red blink indicates unlocked !

Step 2: Page 101 owner's manual
    Note that the memory settings are ERASED when you unlink and resets it to default, so you may have to go back into the car (after relinking the remote) and reposition your seats and outside mirrors to where you want them. THEN on the DRIVER's door, PRESS and RELEASE the MEMO button (you will hear 1 beep from the door) then IMMEDIATELY PRESS button 1 on the DRIVER's door (or 2) to lock in the new positions into remotes 1 (or 2) respectively (then you will hear 2 beeps from the door). Also, be sure the car is in PARK with the ignition ON the II position (idling works also as I recall) to do this otherwise the positions will not be locked-in.

Hope this helps and that it works for you. Let us know..
  • centr0centr0 Member Posts: 1
    Yes! I have an 08 and I don't have a fan belt screach but there is a noise in that area. Apparently there was a bullitin about a timing belt shim and cover that the belt was rubbing against. All that was replaced including the fan belt and the noise is still there. For a new car with only 12000 kms it idles like a 10 year old car and its ticking me off!
    I had 3 mechanics take a look at it and they can't figure it out. It's almost like a knocking sound. At first we thought it was exhaust...like a loose heat shield.
    Hi, listen I was hoping for some opinions or suggestions; for the last few months, I've developed a buzzing/vibration noise on the passenger side of the dash above the glovebox; I noticed when the door was open a gap forming between the dash and glove box, and the where the dash/glovebox meets the front frame; as time goes on the gap got worse to the point it looked terrible

was told by my Acura dealer that this was factory misalingment of the glove box and dash and they worked on it for two days and replaced the glove box

got the car back and no change in the buzzing/clicking vibration sound in the top part of passenger side dash; the noise is really bad on secondary roads with a lot of bumps; it almost sounds as if there is a piece of plastic or something loose in the dash and when you go over a bump or an uneven road it makes the noise

I'm at my wits end because the noise really gets annoying at times and I can even hear it sometimes over the radio when blasting it at volume 14!!!

I really like this car but I mean the noise is ridiculous and I mean the only thing Acura could do if I make a stink is to tear the dash apart to try and find the noise

The gaps and misalignments were fixed a little bit with the replacement of the glove box but it still doesn't look as good as the driver side panels do and if the glove box and dash are loosening up and pulling away from each other then that might be loosing something up in the dash that when I go over bumps you hear this rattling/clicking sound

any information, similar noise experience, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  • scorpio6scorpio6 Member Posts: 2
    camon -

I tried your suggestion and viola! got both remotes linked. It was stupid of me to assume that 2 LED blinks meant ok/linked. I thought that because the memory button for the driver's seat beeps 2 times meaning "memorized."

Your patience and detailed response is very much appreciated.
    Hi everyone,

Due to my chaotic schedule, I won't be able to take my '07 TL in for the service (B12) at 27K miles until this weekend. The "service due now" message is now flashing and the oil is at 0%. Are there any risks with driving it for a few more days until I can take it in for servicing?

Is driving my TL for another 50 miles completely detrimental to my car?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and input!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No there is some slack built into these reminders. No worries. But don't let it go too too long.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    'Is driving my TL for another 50 miles completely detrimental to my car?'

I dare say you could probably drive another 500 miles without any detrimental effect to your engine. I just don't think the electronic service minders are as sophisticated as they try to lead you to believe. For example, can those things really measure accurately the actual condition of your oil? I think for the most part they are just a fancy mileage counter. Yes, your average speed, avg operating temperature, etc are factored in to a degree, but at the basis of it, it's still a mileage counter.
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input on the "service due now" message.

Onto a new issue- the tighten fuel cap message has appeared periodically and it started up again last night after I filled the tank halfway. I unscrewed the cap and then tightened it again (several clicks) but that didn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions? It's a little bizarre not to mention annoying!

Thanks!
  • loangirl1loangirl1 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday, my TCS light came on and stayed on. Today, my emissions lite is on.
    What should I do? My friend says her emissions lite came on when she didn't get the gas cap on right. She had to have it reset. Mine is not under warranty. Will this cost much?
    I think if the gas cap wasn't tightened properly and triggered a warning light or message, then you may have to go through 3 on/off cycles with the ignition to reset the system. And if that doesn't do it, then you should take it in to the dealer so they can diagnose if there is a more serious issue.
  • financebuzzfinancebuzz Member Posts: 12
    I had this exact problem on my 07 TL. The dealer tried changing the gas cap and resetting something I believe it. None of it worked. Eventually, they found some sort of sensor had failed. Once they replaced it, I have had no more problems.
    Thanks for the advise. Just one question---- how do I do a 3 on off cycles?
    Thanks, again!
    Just drive it normally. Every time you turn on the ignition and then turn it off after you've parked, that's one cycle. (Now, I suppose you could just sit there and turn the ignition on and off 3 times, and that should be the same difference, I would think. I'm afraid I'm not expert enough to know if the engine has to run for a certain length of time to constitute a cycle).

But if that doesn't work, then be sure to take it in and have the dealer run a diagnostic on it.
    Good to know! I shall follow up with the dealership. I, too, have a 2007 TL. This is covered under the factory warranty???

Thank you!
  • roadwarrior6roadwarrior6 Member Posts: 21
    Please keep in mind your opinion on the new Acura TL is just that, your opinion.

I happen to think it is sinister, menacing and it's sharklike design is purposeful and I get compliments on the car all the time.
    Oh, and lets also not forget that the TL is Acura's best selling car right now.

Hummm, guess you are in the minority on this one. Personally I think the 2007 TL is a ripoff. Way too small and overpriced. The new TL is as big as the RL and drives like sports sedan should. You'll be waiting another 6 years before this body style changes with a mild refresh in between. Maybe you should look at Lincoln.
    I appreciate your comment. As an owner of a 2007 TLS and brandy new 2010 TSX Tech v6 I am an avid ACURA owner. Also correction to your comment that "the TL is Acura's best selling car" ***WAS ACURA'S BEST SELLING VEHICLE 04-08*** ... no... the new 09-10 TSX is their best selling car. Check the stats. More widgets out the door so far. Personally the new TL looks "from the front end" a TRANSFORMER of some sort. HIDEOUS! "Again just my opinion." Also... last week I had a 2010 TL for a loaner since my TLS was in for service and had to refill the tank at my local gas station and the guy pumping the gas next to me in a new 2010 Jaguar XKR not knowing him from a bag of beans said "damn that's one ugly car." well I said ... "Thank god IT'S A LOANER!" :P
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Transformers are beautiful machines.:)
    Anyway, I have had my TL AWD for about three months now and I have never gotten a negative comment.On the contrary, I was at a gas station several weeks ago and two dudes walked up to me and said that the TL is the hottest car on the street right now.They also went on to mention that mine was super hot-
    *White diamond pearl with the ebony interior
    *35% Tint
    *Wood Wheel
    *Back up Sensors
    *Wood Shift Knob
    *All Weather Mats
    Picking up the Cargo Net this weekend.
    Hi,
    Just wanted you to know that this method worked! I had to go out of town and was worried about the light. As I left the gas station, the light went off.
    Thanks for your input! I'm happy again!
    Loangirl 1
    Hey, that's great! Happy motoring!
  • roadwarrior6roadwarrior6 Member Posts: 21
    well this is the internet and your allowed to make up whatever you want but this a TL forum and not a forum for you to bash the car and and or brag about your new tsx v6 which is even a bigger rip-off than the last generation tl. you don't even have awd for all that $$$$ and 5 adults would be cramped in that little car.

again, i seriously doubt a total stranger insulted you at a gas station. geez, the stories people make up to justify their feeling.
    As a curent owner of a TLS and TSX I am not making it up. It's the truth. Blieve what you want. Besides the new TSX is just as roomy as the previous generation TL and better looking. Who cares about TL AWD. Have fun replacing those 250K+ for each tire... every 15K. I'll be waiting or the next generation TLS to purchase. Heard from Acura it's on hold due to the economy and re-design. Front end will not be as ugly as the current TL. Supposed to be around 365hp not a whimpy 305 hp like the current AWD. :P
  • asilveyasilvey Member Posts: 3
    i have an 06 TL and my navigatin screen is black and says error does anyone know of anything i can do to fix this.... really cant afford to take it in
  • asilveyasilvey Member Posts: 3
    has anyone experienced navigation issues my screen is black and says error i neeed HELP! please anyone