Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vincentlovincentlo Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    My 08 TL with 11,500 miles in LA. It happened from yesterday.

When I start up car after work (1500 pm) there is a sound like crickets chirping.
    Lasts only a couple of seconds and gone.

I cannot duplicate it after the first start.
    This does not happen in the morning (0600am)

Any ideas or anyone ever have this noise?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could be a slipping belt or....or....a chattering AC compressor clutch if the AC was engaged at the time. The AC is often engaged not only with the AC controls but in "defrost" mode.

If this is a manual transmission car, a worn pilot bushing makes this noise but please Lord, not that.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Shifty...I agree with you here on all counts. First thing I thought was a slipping accessory belt or AC clutch.

Worn busings? Possible.

But, this car has 11,500 miles and still under warranty. I'd parade it back to the dealer to have them fix it, regardless the reason.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Yeah, and the sooner the better. If that pilot bushing is acting up, it could seize the transmission main shaft into the flywheel, and then you got a BIG problem. (get out the welding torch, basically).

Of course, the likelihood of that is just about nil, but after many years, I have learned never to entirely discount the "weird" when it comes to cars, even new-ish ones.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    after many years, I have learned never to entirely discount the "weird" when it comes to cars, even new-ish ones.

Words of wisdom.... :D
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • vincentlovincentlo Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for all your inputs.

My car is auto transmission.

When I started up car AC was not on.

Slipping belt maybe.

I took my car to dearler and I could not dupliate the same noise.

It only happens after my work (1500PM) not in the morning.

Once it happens it will not happen in a short time.

Is is possible that is temperature related (morning 50F, after work 85F)?

Thanks
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I guarantee you it is a belt-maybe the drive belt.I had the same sound from my wife's 2004 Accord and I thought it was the cold temperature because the sound would go away after the car was driven for about a mile.Then after about a month or more it began to get louder and instinct told me this is not normal.I took it to Pep Boys and right on the spot the technician knew it was a belt.He sprayed some form of silicone on it to minimize the noise and I eventually took it to the Honda dealer and they replaced the belt. The steering feels much tighter after the replacement and the noise is completely gone.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    Just a few hundred miles on my TL. First my wife's 2009 TSX-Tech as you change from AM-FM,CD or XM I find the audio volume setting about the same, number 8-9. All audio sources are balanced.
    On my 2010 TL, XM,HDD,USB or CD are all about the same around a 8 volume setting like my wife's TSX, HOWEVER when I go to AM or FM I have to increase the volume setting to almost 14 or 15 to get it close to the others sources.. Anyone have a similar issue and if yes, did you get it fixed and how?
    :confuse: :confuse:
  • rickpoolerickpoole Member Posts: 27
    Take pictures of the road leading up to the light where your airbag deployed. Get reports from the city that show there were no potholes repaired at that location right after your incident. Show these to Acura and let them know you'll be turning them over to your lawyer if they don't agree to cover the incident under warranty. Also file a complaint with the NHTSA as this is a serious safety issue (possible to loose control if the airbag deploys while driving at a higher rate of speed).
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    My 05 TL was hit HARD in rear end 2 yr ago while stopped in freeway accident ; I have secured attorney and am suing for compensation.... One unaddressed item is the reduced value of the car since it was in an accident, where the repair bill was $6700 or so. A new rear quarter panel and trunk components were installed , other items re-worked. I was injured in neck area and am still in treatment.

My question is how to value the car after it has been in an accident like this so that the reduced value of the car on the market can be assessed and presented to the attorneys. At the time , the car had 22,000 miles on it , and I am orig owner. It now has 45k miles on it. I could not afford to purchase a new car...and had about $35,5K invested in the car new.
    Thanks for suggestions.
  • bejocundbejocund Member Posts: 12
    For those with TL approaching 115,000 miles

My calipers locked. Calipers are suppose to be replaced only once in the lifetime of the car.

New brakes and rotors installed as well. Total for calipers and brakes and rotors $1200 at local shop (not acura dealer fees)

Front left fog light is out

a few internal glow lights are out (ie cruise control light that is on the handlebar)
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2010
    See if you can contact someone @KBB and get the value from the date of the accident (two years ago). Then compare that to today's value in two ways: first look at "excellent" condition value vs. "fair" condition value. The precentage difference should give you a good idea of the diminished value resulting from your accident. Fair condition includes cars in accidents.

Also, I would contact my own insurance agent and see how they would value the car if they were the underwriter. That may help. I would also ask for a new or replacement car if your having problems with it.

Sorry about your accident. I certainly can relate. I hope your health fully recovers. I would press/fight hard (get an attorney consultation). I had to settle a claim with Travelers about six years ago. I still have back problems that will always be there.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    finally breaking down and replacing the struts on my 2000 TL, now that it broke 150K and the RF is pretty much blown out and leaking.

Nice sale at Sears. After shopping around, prices are all over the board. $800, $900. Some even more. not usually yes.

But,Sears for whatever reason is much more reasonable on installation. So, had an earlier quote (with 1/2 price install) for $627, OTD including tax and alignment.

however, they decided to have a 1 night sale (5 pm fri to noon saturday) . 1/2 off all struts (but normal install). Ended up cheaper.

So, getting it done for a grand total of $516.76. That's 4 monro sensormatic struts, alignment and tax. Not a bad deal considering that going to another tire place and getting the exact same units would have been $300-$400 more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    My previous 2000TL that we sold to our Grand Daughter at 70K miles, and now with 90K, had the computer fail according to the local Honda dealer. 800 bills to fix. How common is it for the computer to fail?
  • slowcarslowcar Member Posts: 66
    Hi all,
    My TL has code A12 appearing, which means oil change and tire rotation and minor stuff. I followed instructions to turn off the code: up/down button until Oil Life percentage appears and press and hold Reset button. But it did not work this time. It did not reset the A12 code. I was able to turn off A000000 oil change code before but not this A12 code. It just beep and the code returned. What did I do wrong? Thanks.
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    Calipers only need to be replaced "once"? Does that show up in the manual? What if you kept the car for 1,000,000 miles?

My Dad and I replaced the brake pads and rotors (no calipers) and parts were about $125 or so. Local independent brake/tire shop wanted ~$500, and the Acura dealer was something like $700 to $800. Their PARTS alone were about $400 if I were to buy them from Acura. Crazy.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    See notes #5422 AND #5424 for resetting
  • slowcarslowcar Member Posts: 66
    Thank you much. So what I did wrong was that I always brought the Oil Life screen back before press/hold the Reset button. This time I will display the Oil Life then press and hold. If the A12 code returns, I'll just let go and then press/hold the reset again, right....and do that several times 'til the message goes away. Thanks a bunch again.
  • ajonesyajonesy Member Posts: 2
    Acura bulletin 08-031 should fix this.
  • ajonesyajonesy Member Posts: 2
    Acura bulletin 08-031 should fix this
  • smack518smack518 Member Posts: 17
    I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have a 2008 TL w/Navi. I've been getting ads for the 2010 replacement DVD. It is worth it to spend the money to get the updated disc? Other than updated roads is there anything else worthwhile on it? Also can I replace it myself or do I need the dealership to do so?

Thanks!
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    I have a 2006 TL and have never thought of replacing the navi DVD. You would have to give me a good reason to replace; I've never had one.
    After the introduction of the 4th generation ACURA TL "styling" change, the interest in the ACURA TL forum seems to have fallen off a cliff (like its car sales).

Too bad, both were interesting while they lasted.
    I still own my 2005 Honda Pilot and belong to that blog.. Once every few months someone will send out an email that asked if anyone is still around? Tons of folks respond but everyone is just driving their Pilot and are all happy campers with not issues to report. 82K miles and other then oil changes, nothing to report in about..

We are all here on the TL blog, but for most of us working americans, we just drive our car every day and having a blast. The car is so well engineered, not a lot of bad things to say or report. So for the majority of the 2009-2010 TL owners, we just take that role of the Maytag Repair Man, and live the boring life, except when we get behind the wheel and hit the accelerator!

I think my 2010 TL SH-AWD, 3 months old and 2800 miles now has nothing less then 4 coats of wax! If I had to make a buying decision all over again, nothing has changed in the last 3 months to make me not once again select the Acura. :blush:;):)
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I would have ignored the above poster- just basically looking for attention.
  • bejocundbejocund Member Posts: 12
    Just curious if other 2005 TL owners are experiencing malfunction with their Navi system.
    I will jump in only to say I am here, read many of the post, but I have been very busy as so many of us are these days when we are in a economic slow down, and we are all expected to do more at our jobs these days... I am sure if all TL owners were retired we would be talking away, but I bet for every one contributor, their are dozens of folks who are just listening and reading! Well, off to work I go in the SH-AWD TL, another FUN trip to the office! :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Avoid personally-directed posts please. Carry on.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    I am quickly approaching 60,000 miles on my 2007 TLS. Can somebody tell me what the 60K Maintenance cost is on AVG and what needs to be completed? Thanks!
  • scottshredderscottshredder Member Posts: 6
    Hi has anyone experienced something like this? Took delivery in January of a 2010 Tech Package TL with AWD. Love the car, but the low oil warning light came on and I figured it was down maybe a quart or so...Lo and behold, the car took 3 quarts of oil with less than 5000 miles on the odometer! Checked for leaks, etc. but there is nothing at all.

Never experienced anything like this before with a new car, anyone else?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    sounds like 1 of 2 optins.

1) somehow, they delivered it way short of oil (not filled up at the factory?). or

2) it actually used that much (which would be extremly rare, and unacceptable even though Honda would claim it fell within "specs")

But, with 2, it seems like you would have to notice it going someplace (smoking or leaking). So if not, 1 makes more sense.

Also, does this actually have a low warning light (like a BMW does) telling you to add? If so, that should come on by 1 quart. Or did you get the light of death (oil pressure light)?

For sure, I would have it to the dealer to get inspected, and to make sure this is documented, just in case.

assume they find no problem, and keep a close eye on it. If it doesn't end up sucking down oil ilke that again, assume it was just low to begin with. Or you overfilled by 2 quarts!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

WOW, this made me go check mine! I just returned from a trip from San Diego to Las Vegas! It was 107 degrees so this definitely put the car through its paces, not to mention driving at 75 MPH. I wanted to be sure the car was warmed up this morning so I went and drove it for a bit. After placing it on a level part of my driveway, my oil level was down??? I had a few quarts for my Honda Pilot and wife TSX, so at first I wanted to add a quart, but not knowing what the low and full markings on the dipstick were I started adding oil slowly, waiting 3 or 4 minutes and then checking it again. My SH-AWD has 4275 miles on it and it took about 1/2 quart to top it off. This 5-20 oil is very thin , viscosity, so some oil usage seems normal. But we both have questions to ask the dealer. First 3 quarts seems very high usage for sure! I assume this is still the original oil that came with the car? I also assume you checked it before this event so you have a baseline? Mine used 1/2 quart, but my wife TSX used No Oil after 6,000 miles when it was new last year but that is a different engine. They say that the oil they use when the car is new is a special blend to allow the engine to break in correctly.

I am so sorry you have this issue and lets hope other chime in over the next 2 or 3 days to give us all an idea on oil usage and what can be considered normal. BTW, what state do you live in?? Let us ALL know what your dealer is telling you! I will do the same.
    :sick:
    Anyone else want to comment. How often do you check or have your oil changed and does it use any oil over time?
    In my 05TL I change the oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30.
    I currently have 65,000 miles on the car.

Between oil changes it does not use any measurable oil. It remains at the top "full" hole for the whole 5,000 mile period.
    I called the dealer, two of them in the area, and both said it is not unusual to use some oil during the first 6K miles as the rings seat as it is a special viscosity oil with special additives for new engines. Then the oil usage should be normal and low. Both dealers told me the same thing. I will get my oil changed around 6K miles, they said that was about right for the first oil change since the car will be 6 months old at that time.. Only drive about 1K per month. Then I will watch it again for oil consumption.. My 2005 Honda Pilot uses about 3/4 of a quart between oil changes at 65,000 miles. I change the oil every 4-5K miles or every 6 months..
    Wondering what your dealer told you about your oil usage? :confuse:
    My dealer over the phone thought this was totally not a normal thing for a brand new car to be 3 quarts of oil down...They urged me to bring it in which I am doing this Friday...I will update after the car is checked out
    OK, thanks for the reply back. I think most folks would say that 3 qt is a lot of oil. Sorry to hear this and please do update us on what the fix is going to be. It may be a Stuck Emission Valve that works between the oil reservoir and the air in-tack.. I heard about this on the KPBS Car Talk show where someone was burning oil, 18K miles, or using oil but no black or white smoke out the tail pipe and nothing on the ground. Lets hope it is something simple like that! I have the maintenance manuals like the dealer. I may take a look and see what the book say about this. :)
  • moet131moet131 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at buying a 2003 Acura 2.3TL at a local shop in town. It only has 66k miles but it also has a salvage title which is why the guy is only asking $7500. Test drove the car today & it handled pretty well with no major problems. Will be getting a full point check from an acura dealer on Fri. Any maintenance concerns for this year & make vehicle. I currently own a 99 Accord which I love & have only owned Acuras & Hondas in the past with no major concerns.
    Also I am thinking about buying a warranty from the acura dealer which they said would cost around $1500-1700...is it worth buying if they check the car & say it has no problems.
    edited June 2010
    I'd walk away from that one. The price is way too high for a salvage car. You should be able to buy a nice clean one without a salvage title for not much more than that money.

I did a search and found 40 2003 TLs with an average asking price of $8500.

Here's a LOW MILES 2003 for $9000 asking price.

I'm also skeptical that you can get any kind of legit extended warranty on a salvage car.
    I hope this is a happy Friday for you. What did the dealer tell you and do we have a fix or answer to the issue?? I am sure may folks are waiting your reply...
    Well as it turns out the dealer had no clue....They confirmed no leaks or excess burning of oil, and since I had put 3 quarts in prior to them seeing it the oil was full. They agreed it must have been a mix up at the factory with some bozo not filling the oil....
    Not only did they miss it at the factory, the dealer should have done an inspection as well. In your TL maintenance manual you will find the pre-delivery check off list. I have asked around about this and it is possible that most of the oil loss was during the first 1500 miles as the rings set up.. Eventually they did and your oil usage went down.

The oil that is in the engine is a special blend for new engines. You will need to drain it all and replace the filter, and start from a fresh start. Then check your oil every week to see if it is OK.

When I returned from las Vegas a few weeks back I was down 1/2 qt. I have since put on another 500 miles, and my oil usage appears to be Zero... Check back with us in a few months and let us know how things have been.. :shades:
  • kerry51kerry51 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2007 Acura TL which has an intermittent problem of the horn honking while turning. On one occasion it honked approximately 6 times in a 4 block area. I shut the car off and restarted it. This time it took several trys and considerable effort to get it to honk once. In addition, it lost it's memory the other day with regard to pre-set radio stations indicating to me that there was a battery disconnect at one point. Due to the fact that I live in a rural area and not close to an Acura dealer and the problems being intermittent, I would like to solve this problem myself.
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    I don't keep up with values because I'm not in the market. You can easily check values via Ebay, Craigslist or KelleyBlueBook.com. Personally I'd be very leery of a salvage title. Not because they can't be repaired properly; I used to work at a car dealership many moons ago and I think a quality body shop can work wonders. But the problem will come when you go to sell it. I would think a car with a salvage title would take a minimum 20% to 25% hit in resale value. Of course, if you decide to drive it till it drops maybe you won't have to worry about that drop in value. If I were you I'd be sure to drive it in all sorts of conditions: high speeds in addition to low speeds; highways in addition to city streets. I'd also have someone drive behind you to make sure it's not "dog-tracking"...where the frame is bent. All of this in addition to taking it to your local Acura dealer for inspection. As someone else has pointed out, sounds like there may be better deals out there. Frankly I figured my 2005 TL with 62,000 miles was only worth about $10k or $12k.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    Have U figured out your horn problem yet?

I just now read your thread.

This is curious to me. We have an '05.

Thanks.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    All

I see this in many of the forums and think it needs to be clarified. A fuel's octane rating represents its detonation threshold, not a promise of better performance or mileage. Higher-octane fuels create a slower burning flame. This deters pre-ignition, which manifests itself as engine "knock" or "pinging." Higher-compression engines, turbocharged or supercharged engines and higher-revving engines make good use of 91-octane premium. If the manufacturer does not recommend high octane, don't use it. The ABC news magazine show "20/20" put this advice to the test, and the results showed there is no benefit to be had in using high-octane (unless recommended) and, in some cases, fuel efficiency will be lost to incomplete combustion. You are just cheating yourself out of $$ in the long run by using lower grade octane! :)
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    Good post. If you don't mind, I would like to add the following.
    In a 2000 TL, I did a full year using fuel with 10% ethanol followed by a full year with non-ethanol fuel. I kept track and averaged the gas mileage.....Guess what? It was EXACTLY the same MPG.
  • kerry51kerry51 Member Posts: 2
    I just got it repaired by the dealer yesterday. They found an exposed wire connector in the steering wheel. Alas, I can now participate in a funeral procession without making an [non-permissible content removed] out of myself.
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    Upon visual inspection, the dealer said my 1997 3.2TL Acura has a slight crack of the transmission mount. It would cost approx. $800 for a replacement. The car itself drives fine and I don't feel any difference. How serious is this problem and when should it be replaced? Thanks.