Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

1104105106107108110»

Comments

• chencezachenceza Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking at getting a used 2004/2005, anywhere from 70K to 90K miles. I have never owned Acuras before, and have never driven a car past 85K. Assuming routine maintenance has been done and will be done, can I expect these cars to last to 150K miles or even 200K?
    Any personal input/stories would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    if you get one in nice shape, that has been well maintained, and you continue to do the same than 150K is not out of reason. No guarantee of course, and something big could fail in there, but would not be surprised.

I have a 2000 Tl with just over 162K that still runs fine, so I know that generation at least was built to last!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• selig1selig1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

My 04 tl has only 58k miles on it, but other than the many rattles that I finally figured out, its been an amazing car. No problems of any kind. Great power and wonderful for driving trips. It's basically a Honda, so I'd be pretty confident that if it has been well cared for it would last quite a long time. We had a 89 Honda Accord and got tired of it before it got tired.... Good luck, Andy
  • annalovely0neannalovely0ne Member Posts: 7
    Hi! Wish I could help you with your decision. My 2008 Acura TL has given me no trouble; wish I could buy the 2012 -- it's better than every model prior, in many ways. Over the years, I've met Acura owners who wouldn't dare think of getting rid of their car - they simply drive it until it can't be driven any longer. Only knew of one who did not maintain their vehicle as required, which was ridiculous, and that model is what sold me on Acuras - The Legend (circa 1998). Good luck with your decision. Most people don't get rid of them, because they last "until".... :o)
  • mkacuramkacura Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2012
    Acura is a Honda product so you know the reliability lineage of the product. :) Between my wife and I, we have had 1 Honda ('92 Accord) and 2 Acuras ('88 Integra and '09 TL). Reaching 200,000 miles is an expectation that we have for these products and with regular maintenance, it is a no brainer.

The Accord we sold at 200,000 because, well, we were bored with it! The Integra we sold at 150,000 because, well, we were bored wth it! You see a theme going on???? :)

As for my current TL (SH-AWD), it's got 40K with ZERO mechanical problems. Other than rotating the tires, I have had 3 oil changes and 1 differential oil change (since it's an AWD model). There is no doubt in my mind, getting to 200,000 miles is not even a challenge.

BTW, I'm not a Honda/Acura Fanboy as we have had Toyotas and Nissans and they both perform just as well.
  • prprt33prprt33 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2005 Acura TL on June 30, 2005. I just sold it last week with 156,000 miles. I had zero problems with the car and also got an impressive $9,500 for the vehicle. I could have drove the vehicle to 250,000 miles without a doubt. Acura and Reliability go hand in hand in my opinion.
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    I have a TL 2009 with 41K miles approx. About 10K miles ago I had the tires checked as I knew I needed 1 tire. I was told I needed 4 tires as confirmed by two different tire places. I was lucky that Michelin covered 50% of the cost which was huge. It was something like 1700.00 with mounting, taxes, balancing and a rear alignment that Michelin wanted cost ($99.00) Most people these days would have a heart attack on a 1700 tire bill. Anyway my car is due for lease end. The tires were checked and in 10K miles of South Fla driving they are about 1/3 worn (new tires are 9/32) They are at 6/32. That does not sound great to me. The dealer when I asked stated they never heard any issues with tires going so quickly etc. Appreciate experiences from other TL owners. In my many years of leasing I rarely have to change tires, certainly not all 4. I am considering another TL 2012 or 2013 and am wondering if these issues are common. The dealer should be aware of any such issues and they said no.
    That is very very odd especially with Michelins. They are expensive (as you've found out yourself) but they last a tremendously long time. Of all the cars that I've owned, any time I could afford Michelins, they last at least 60,000+ miles with many nearing the 75,000 mile mark.

I currently own a '09 TL SH-AWD and it's a tad under 40,000 miles and my tires are only about 1/2 worn (eye balling it, not measuring it) and I have no tire issues with the factory Michelins. I frequent other forums and this is the first time I'm hearing that the factory Michelins last 40k.

Did the dealer say that the alignment was off? Even if it was off, it would be really really off to make the factory tires die at 40k. I'm assuming you rotate your tires too? Also, if there's nothing wrong with alignment, save yourself the $100 and don't do it. Alignment is a profit center for dealers unless you know there's something wrong, like you hit something on the road or a deep pot hole. Normal driving should not mess up your alignment.
  • camandycamandy Member Posts: 2
    I have an Acura TL / 2006. about 55K miles on it. The Acura dealer told me over 1 year back I need Tires. I went to 2 tire places for their input: both of them said tires were fine. So am still using original tires. Will have them checked in near future. I dont think tires wearing out fast should be an issue
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012
    I did rotate the tires. Michelin wanted a rear alignment but nothing was clearly stated that it was a factor in any way. Got 4 of those same Michelins and after the lease inspection it appears after about 10K miles thye are 1/3rd worn.
    The old tires were completely worn, there was no question that they needed to be replaced and driving them would be unsafe. One of the tires was leaking and I thought it could be fixed. However there was no boubt about the tire issue. I am wondering if this issue is more common in the more recent Acura models. I had a 03 Acura that never needed a tire in three years of use.

Rob
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    Wow. 1/3 worn down after 10K miles?

We have a 2008 TL with 18K miles. All but 6K of those miles are high speed vacation travel miles and all 4 tires still look like brand new.
  • annalovely0neannalovely0ne Member Posts: 7
    Hi. There are "some" maintenance managers (I have found), that will tell you that your car does not need a front-end alignment, and will "never" tell you to have a rear end alignment. Take a guess as to why not? A machine does the work, so, why no compliance with using it is simply complacency. Also, when the "rear end" is aligned, at least "one time", it's assurance that the front end is aligned with the rear end, and the front of the car is not going in one direction (to the side, or, whatever, like a crab), and the rear is going in a total different direction. When a car's front and rear end are aligned, and tires are rotated during the A1 or B1 inspections, that should assure you that no crazy tire wear is happening. Hope this helps. My first car was a '66 Mustang -289 engine, and I learned a lot (back in the day) -- the hard way. Have applied a few of the basic principles from those experiences, and will not let a maintenance manager talk me out of getting the front and rear ends aligned _ at least once a year! It will save "tire wear" and keep money in your pocket for something else.

As a "military retiree", I'm just kind of "stuck" on doing right by any vehicle.So, ask about the cost of a rear end alignment and see how "they" balk at the idea of doing so. You'll be buying more tires for your new car, because of the same thing, if you never get the rear end alignment done. :o)
    Rob, wow! That's crazy! 1/3 gone at 10k miles on Michelins? There's got to be another factor. Like I said, three year old '09 TL, almost 40k miles and all 4 of my factory Michelins still have 50% left.

For about a year I was commuting between NJ and Boston on a weekly basis. Now I'm doing mostly local so the tires have seen all kinds of conditions.

Well, at least it's a lease and you can return it. But I have NEVER read any tire issues with the new TL ('09 and onwards).
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2012
    Hello, I've searched multiple sites and have found 100's of posts commenting on what seems to be an ongoing problem with Acura/Honda. I bought a new TL and after 18,000 miles, the rotors were warped. I'm 45 years old, have driven many cars and never in my life had warped rotors. In fact, my '91 Integra with 193K miles on it has never had warped rotors. Well, I had them resurfaced and within a couple months, they warped again. Having been through this as well as having read numerous others reporting the same problem, I am done with it.

My question is, is it possible to upgrade rotors (non Acura/Honda parts) and/or brake pads on my TL to a level where they will not warp under normal use? How much (if any) customization would be involved?

I welcome your responses...

Thanks,

Greg
    zzz
    My first TL was a 2000 and it got warped rotors after about 16K miles. I didn't resurface them, I just installed Brembo rotors and pads. Never had another problem after that. The 2008 we have now is fine so far.
    If you are unfamiliar with replacing rotors, either get someone to help or study the videos available everywhere.
    Thanks for the info. Believe my car already has Bremo on it. Last time I took it in, they mentioned that manual transmission TL's come with it. Not sure if that just means pads? Or rotors & pads. I'll ask if both are Bremo. If they are, any suggestions as to what may be the next level up in terms of durability/performance?

Greg
    zxz
    Unless Brembo makes an OEM part that is of lesser quality, I cannot offer you any help. They are easy to remove, so I would probably have them resurfaced or replace them myself. I would use a dial indicator and look at the runout and decide. I don't know if removing them and cleaning the mating sides would help or not. If the rotors are warped, replacing the pads will not solve the problem.
    Sorry I cannot help more. I hate braking in a car with warped rotors.
    Thanks for the help. Every bit of info helps.

Having read so many posts from other Honda/Acura owners complaining of the identical problem, it makes me a bit hesitant to replace them with the same discs that failed this time. Although, could it be just a one-time experience? I've done a little looking around on the web for 'high performance' rotors to fit the TL. While they cost about double/triple the amount of the standard issue rotors I've got on now, is it money well spent? Or, just a good marketing department?

All I'm looking for are rotors that stand up to normal driving. No big hills, quick stops, endless stop & go traffic....ect. Just perform like every other car I've driven over the last 30 years.
  • nealklugenealkluge Member Posts: 1
    Same story on my 2010 TL. The dealership is replacing the battery and the HFL ( hands free link). Will post again if the problem persists.

My son uses the blue tooth phone and the HFL like all the time. Acura Tech told him he should continue using the blue tooth. I told him NOT to use the blue tooth My son is 16 and he will NOT listen to me, unless he is stuck on the road once!!
    Acura / Honda factory batteries are never known for their durability. When the warranty of the battery is up, go and get a Die Hard or Interstate.
    the batteries on my 2005 and 2005 Odyssey did not last very long. I ended up replacing them both with a battery from Walmart. Great price, worked well, and lasted fine.

Honda also tends to put the lowest output battery they can get away with in their cars. If possible, move up to a higher output/capacity one.

• jlwalkerjlwalker Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Mdx battery repeatedly failed. Service station said it was ok, as did dealer. Dealer tech even told me there is no accessory setting on the vehicle (a lie), I went to Sears and got a Diehard. No problems the last 4 years, and use accessories all the time!
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I am going with the drain and fill approach. I located both the drain plug and the fill plug, and both are easy access on this car, however I want to know if I can refill the fluid using a spout tube connected to where the level checking dipstick goes, instead of removing the bolt for the fill hole. The dipstick hole is so small no regular funnel would fit in it like normal cars. So I was thinking of using the spout style transmission filler funnel where dipstick housing would fit inside the spout and form a seal and hopefully no fluid drips. Just wondering if anyone has tried this approach.
  • cusportscusports Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific replacement battery for an 04 TL without spending $150 at the dealer? Any thoughts on Costco's Kirkland brand?
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    Go to the bernardi website they sell genuwine acura parts, probably about 30% less than the dealer. I buy most of my stuff from them, if its not on the website just call with the part number and they will direct you from there.
  • epapa1epapa1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    My 2008 TL needed a battery at 4 years and I went to Honda that does all my Maintenance. I have always been very satisfied with everything they do.
    Walmart actually has very good batteries (everlast) and quite reasonable price, installed and everything.

I just got a new one in my son's 2000TL, but that came from the dealer, since he is away at college and it died on him so we had it towed to the local Honda dealer. 2 days later it got towed back, since the real culprit was a bad alternator.

all seems good now, and as a side benefit, he said the power windows go up much quicker!

• camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    I got a COSTCO battery for my 2000 ACURA. Works fine for going on 4 years now.

For my 2005 ACURA I went to BATTERYONE and they put in a new one for me right on the spot for under $100 and in under 30 minutes .

If you do it yourself, be sure the dimensions and post locations are an exact match, or else the battery cable and cover may not align properly.
    I own a 2006 TL and want to upgrade to 18 inch rims. Acrua's eStore, wants close to $2K for a set of 4 installed (tires are extra!). Looking on eBay, I see what appears to be identical rims (Permachrome) for less than half the price which includes shipping. Other than the premium Acura charges, is the difference due to Permachrome?

I haven't been able to read much about Permachrome. If anyone has experience with, or knowledge of Permachrome and knows of any considerations or drawbacks about it, I welcome your comments.

Thanks,

Greg
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I own a 2006 TL and tonight on the way home from Dinner out....my car started to idle very rough. The Engine Check light came on for the first time ever....then the Transmission "D" light started blinking. I just went out and started the car up in front of my house, and with the TL in park saw the VSA and Engine Light come on and it was idling really rough. Then put the car in Drive but no transmission light came on.

The car has 93,600 miles on it and has been regularly maintained by local Acura Dealer since new. This is problem seemed to come up out of no where...it sounds to me like a computer module has failed. Guess I'll know better when the car gets towed to Acura..since it's a very rough idle with little power. Interested to see what the error code is.

Anyone seen this type of problem before?

Thanks,
    -mike-
    check your battery. SOunds a lot like what just happened to my son's TL. ended up dying on him and a new battery put in. That was a temporary fix, since it died out again 2 days later. Turned out to be a defective alternator. So, new one of those on top of the new battery (Probably was time for one of them anyway), and all is well.

but when it was running short on amps, the dash all lit up, ran ragged, etc.

Yes. This just happened to my 2005TL with 89,000 miles on it. Out of nowhere the engine check light came on and the VSA light with the transmission acting funny. The accelerator pedal felt like it it wasn't giving the engine gas. I shut down re-started and the engine check light came on but not the VSA light.

I had it towed to the dealer and it was the "APP SENSOR" (accelerator pedal position sensor) that went bad. The total cost to fix was $390 at the dealer. It was on a Saturday so I don't know if I was charged overtime labor, but I had to get it fixed then & there since I was in the middle of a trip.

Appearantly a failing APP Sensor is common on the TL with this mileage. If this is what you have, we all need to contact ACURA. This expensive repair should not occur with this little mileage.
    OK I now know what the problem is.....

Count me as yet another PCM/AC Drain Tube/Coil Pack...etc.. victim. I have a 2006 TL w/93,600 Miles on it. Never had even close, to a serious problem with the car before...at least till last night.

Many of you guy's know the drill, I've since Goggled enough threads on the subject - most of which I've managed to read though over the last few hours.

All of a sudden car starts to run rough, engine light comes on. Have it towed via flatbed to Acura. Call me later in the day...possible replacement of PCM, Wiring Harness, Coil Pack, etc...

This is an obvious design flaw. A/C Drain Tube blockage should not lead to water exposure of the PCM...and then cause additional electrical components to fail..leading to an expensive repair bill.

What is Acura's current stance on this issue/problem...what happens to those who have exceeded the warranty period?

Any thoughts on this subject would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    -mike-
    That's interesting! A friend of mine has a Honda Accord. Don't know the exact year but somewhere around the same year as your TL. Same thing happened. The A/C drained water onto the onboard main computer and zapped it. $1000 to fix. I don't think he has an extended since he paid.

I would imagine that if you have an extended warranty that it will be covered. I have an '09 TL with extended warranty and if it happened to me I would definitely ask for coverage. From what I heard the Acura extended warranty is a bumper to bumper coverage.
    Unfortunately, at 6+ years and 93K miles I think I fall into your friends category..and will also have to pay...and for a TL that could run $2-3K depending on the water damage.

Not a good situation...trying to get a call into Corporate Acura right now since so many people have had this same problem.
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    My 1997 TL just turned 130,000 miles. Typically, when the car starts, I think it goes through a ABS self-check (could hear a little noise from the front). Lately, the ABS warning light has been exhibiting intermittent behavior (may stay on from the beginning and may or may not go off later; or come on after it has been off, etc.) Car is fine otherwise with no braking issue. Dealer wants to charge $200 for diagnostic. I'd appreciate if someone has encountered this similar issue and can share what was done to resolve the problem. Thanks.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    Go to Pep Boys or AutoZone, they will do the diagnostic check for free.
  • cp1986cp1986 Member Posts: 2
    Little mileage?
  • acemanhattanacemanhattan Member Posts: 79
    I have the option to buy a 2002 Acura TL with 109k miles that still has the original transmission. The owner claims that he's been told by a dealer that the transmission didn't need to be replaced. Using the vin# I had the dealer check if there were any open recalls and they said that all the recalls were satisfied for this vehicle.

What does this tell me? Does this indicate that at some point the transmission was inspected and they found it to be in good working order without need of replacement? Can I trust this transmission? What would be the prudent way to find out if this transmission is reliable?
    To clarify my question:

I know for a fact that the transmission recall service was performed on the vehicle (though I don't know if it was the oil cooler return line revision or the transmission replacement), does this indicate that the problem is solved or is it the case that unless the transmission was replaced there is still a high percentage chance of facing transmission problems down the line?

Thanks
    So I am having a hard time figuring out who did the A/T recall work, and what exactly was done. I had a local dealer print out a VIN inquiry that tells me that the A/T recall work was done, but none of the dealerships that show up on the Carfax have records of doing that recall work.

How can I figure out what was done and if I need to worry about this transmission?
    Okay, I've found out that in 2006, at 41,676 miles the oil-jet-kit pack was replaced, but the transmission was not replaced. It now has 106,000 miles.

How should I feel about the reliability of the transmission?
    edited September 2013
    Our family has a 2000 TL and had the dealer comply with the Acura service bulletin you described at 87,000 miles. Afterwards, at 93,000 miles the transmission failed and had to be completely replaced. Fortunately, Acura paid for it because it was under 100,000 mi/7 years. We put another 90.000 miles on it and now we only use it to drive in town on weekends just in case.

A friend has a 2001 Acura TL with only 47,000 miles on it. It was completely dealer serviced since new, including service bulletins. The transmission is slipping and is past the period of time that Acura will fix it.

In other words, the jet kits did not seem to matter.

I and a different friend also have 2005 Acuras (next generation). I have 104,000 miles on mine and he has over 200,000 miles on his. Neither has given any indication of a transmission problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    After 100K any automatic transmission could fail. Aside from a good test drive, (paying attention to irregular shifting, jerking, slipping, shuddering, etc) your only other action that makes any sense would be to take the car to an independent shop for a pre-purchase inspection, which would include a computer scan and checking the condition and level of the transmission fluid.

This is an 11 year old car. There's just a certain amount of risk that is unavoidable.