Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    I understand how the thought is that they are attempting to save a buck, but I have a few comments.
    ** You doubt the seats are leather? Wow...that is a bold statement. The seating surfaces are leather....the head rest and back are not...as with most cars. I haven't seen many that are leather wrapped throughout.
    ** Cassette player. Ah...see....the reason is for many that listen to books on tape and other spoken language tapes. I listen to books on tape on some commutes at the ripe old age of 40...and have been listening even when I was a young 30...even 20. Many do as we fight to find literary time.
    **Interior ceiling and moonroof cover...there really isn't much wrong I see in material or fit.

Don't get me wrong...as I really wish we had 60/40 folding rear seats. But as I mentioned in a previous post...it is because of a more rigid rear frame (as demonstrated by the sizable torsion bar near the front firewall)...which has been reiterated by various sources.
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    The OEM tires on my 3.2TL are of size 205-65-15 and are V-rated (94V). Since V-rated tires are too soft and wear out too quickly, I am thinking to change to a H-rated (92H) tires with the same size.

Since H- is "lower" than V-, is it safe to make the switch?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    How do you mean "lower"? Lower profile, or lower speed rating? If you mean the latter, I think it's safe. I can't recall the speed rating for an H tire (110MPH?), but there is quite a bit of reserve built in, and to get into trouble, you would have to drive at a sustained speed above the rated speed.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    Technically you are not supposed to go down in speed ratings. However I did it on my 04 TL. The H rated tires last longer and The speed difference will not affect most people.
    S=105mph
    H=130mph
    V=140mph and
    Z=150+mph
    most people don't drive @ these speeds so I would say that is save to go to an H from A V-rated tire.
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    Gordon and Brian, thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for not making it clear. When I said "lower", I meant the speed rating from V (up to 149 MPH) to H (up to 130 MPH). Almost all V-rated tires do not have a treadwear warranty and wear out too quickly. My current set of 4 Dunlap 5000 lasted only about 20k miles - and I am an easy driver (won't even come close to those limits)!

I have talked to several tire shops. About half of them said it is okay to do so, but the other half said I should not for safety reason (typical reason is that the TL's suspension is designed for V-rated tires). That's why I was confused.
    I work as an auto technician in a tire/repair shop so you can put me on the side that says its ok to go down one speed rating.

I put H rated Michelins on My 04 TL and It handles and rides better then it ever did with the V rated Bridgestones. My daily commute its 92 miles each way on 65mph highways (which actually means 80-85 mph). I only got 28k out of the v rated Bridgestones and I anticipate get 50 to 60k out of the Michelins.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I don't like the low profile tires, about how much would it cost me to get regular profile tires (Michelins) , and would I have to buy new wheels? Or should I get the better Michelins and just keep the wheels? Thanks, any help would be appreciated, given your expertise. :)
    It is going to be very difficult and expensive to change to a tire that is not a low profile tire. First you will have to get 15inch wheels, maybe something that fits an Accord. Then you will have to completely change the alignment specs of the car, I don't know where you would find the proper specifications to perform such a job. Even if you find a way to make the TL compatible with the wheels and tires I don't think it would ever feel right or perform the way it was designed.
    Thanks for the advice, I guess it's low profile. What are the best low profile tires?
    I am partial to Michelin's. They usually are pretty pricey but you get what you pay for. I put the Michelin Pilot XGTH4 on mine. I put about 40k on my car a year and I needed something that was going to last longer than 25k. Oh yeah!!! The key to getting the most out of ANY tire is to ROTATE-ROTATE-ROTATE. Tires have to be rotated every 5 to 6 thousand miles.
  • rob_passatrob_passat Member Posts: 13
    Actually, you say
    tire pressure, tire pressure, ROTATE, etc.

and then toss in an alignment every 20K depending on the density of potholes

Rob
    Thanks bhelsdon! Is that what they put on the Navi's? I don't care if the are pricey, I want the best tires. Thanks again. :shades:
    If I am not mistaken they put Michelin HX MXV4 on the 05 TL's
  • pl8s4jonpl8s4jon Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2005 TL today. I love it. I was wondering if it is possible for the side marker lights to blink? I noticed that they don't blink. Any ideas?
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I put Continental Extremes on my '04 TL and they improved every aspect of ride and handling. I do recommend them and they were somewhat less expensive than the Michelins.
    They don't blink, which I think is a major oversight on Acura's part. (They blink only to confirm locking/unlocking).
    Yes I surprised they don't blink, but I don't think is was a major oversight. They are simply reflectors and are a good idea, might prevent a t-bone accident.
    I am far from replacing my tires....but how about Yokohamas? Or Pirelli? Any experiences out there?

I placed Yokohamas on my CL in the past and they did great in performance and wear. However been very partial to Michelin.
  • pl8s4jonpl8s4jon Member Posts: 2
    Loving the car. It runs great. I am a little curious about the lights. If you leave the lights on and open the door the car dings at you that the lights are on. I find that a little odd as I know the lights will automatically turn off (mine is set for 15 seconds). Why do I need a "ding" reminder that my lights will turn off? :confuse: Any way to turn the "ding" off?

I have owned several other cars where this no ding. If I set it to zero seconds will it still ding?

Thanks for any advice on "the ding, your lights are on".
    My TL dings all the time, it just a dingy car. :P
    This is a popular topic with all Honda/Acura models, including TL, RL. Is the Ding redundant? Some have postulated that the Ding is to remind you to close the door to activate the auto-off, and light timer. Do the lights turn off even if you walk away with the door(s) wide open? I've never tried it. But then again I'm old school in that I still instinctively check to turn off the lights after parking. :blush:
    It's not just old school, it makes sense to turn everything off, and lock everything. What if a timer fails, or whatever, does it really take that much time to turn off lights, it's better than a dead battery. I don't even hear the dings anymore.
    Well that's my rationale too. But my kids think I'm a technology dinosaur. The other thing I can't bring myself to blindly trust is the keyless remote thing. I mean, ok, so you see the lights flash when you press the lock button, but is that 100% proof that the doors have locked? Couldn't there be some electrical glitch that lets the lights flash without the locks locking? Or is the system foolproof? Maybe a Honda tech person can answer that one. But I figure it wouldn't kill me to spend the extra 2 seconds to pull on the door handle to make sure.
    When this technology first came out, it seemed very cool to walk away from your car without turning off the lights. I would inform someone that they left their lights on and they would look at me as if were some kind of idiot. I then secretly wished the battery was dead when they returned. :P
    Oh, you're nasty! :P
    If you saw thier yuppy disdain of me, you wouldn't say so. :P
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    "The other thing I can't bring myself to blindly trust is the keyless remote thing. I mean, ok, so you see the lights flash when you press the lock button, but is that 100% proof that the doors have locked? Couldn't there be some electrical glitch that lets the lights flash without the locks locking?"

You have to press the key fob twice to make sure its locked, the fisrt press is to lock the doors, the second pess gives you a confirmation beep to tell you that the doors are securely locked.

If you dont get the beep on the second press that tells you the doors are not locked.
    Yes, I know, but, playing devil's advocate, I was thinking, isn't it possible that some electrical glitch could result in the system flashing or beeping even though the car hasn't been locked? Or is it wired in such a way that it can only beep when the doors are locked? ie. some electrical circuit has to be closed.

(I know, I can be overly analytical at times :cry: )
    I know I am old school, but I still pull on the door handles to make sure that my car is locked. :P
    Ahhh....don't be too concerned. There is always the possibility there is a stray radio frequency which could open up your door afterwards....
    Is that true? :cry:
    Unfortunately, yes. There's been isolated cases reported where cars have been unlocked by the remote of another car parked close by. :sick: :cry:
    That sucks big time. :cry: There really should be an easy solution to that problem.
    Yes, there is. Go back to locking/unlocking with keys only, for all cars! :cry:
  • mgs24mgs24 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone install or know how, if possible to install DRL. Just picked up an 05 with NAV for my wife and was surprised that Acura does not have them.

Thanks, Mike
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    well don't know if the Nav works well, but it certainly looks pretty cool!!
    But well, I took a test drive the other day and it seems to have lots of bells and whistles and seemed to work fine. The nav system works based on a DVD that's mounted on the trunk, and you can get an updated DVD for $180 bucks (according to salesman), but then its supposed to contain the same info as the yellow pages, so depending where you go, you wouldn't probably need to have the DVD updated for a long time.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Acura probably wanted to save a buck on the rear folding seats....I find that ridiculous since cheaper cars have them, and one would expect to have it on a $30K car.... When I asked the sales guy to explained it, he said that "most people who can afford a TL, can afford a pickup to carry their crap"... I'm surely not goint to give this guy a commission if I decide to buy at this dealership.
    That is a terrible answer. :cry:
  • lf05tllf05tl Member Posts: 16
    I think some of the sportier handling cars are like that to keep car stiffer and more ridget for handling. I read that some place.
    The solution to the potential that the auto lock may be engaged....is already built into the car. Remember...if the door is not opened after unlocked with the remote within the set driver preferences...the car will automatically lock itself.

Really...don't worry too much....
    I do not believe that it is because Acura is attempting to save a buck (just look at all the other amentities within the cabin and trims) by not having folding rear seats. As another post later indicates...it is to have a stiffer and more rigid platform.

Another reason is for soundproofing...to give you a more isolation from external noises (just look at the amount of soundproofing in the trunk and hood)...and to optimize the acoustics for the awesome sound system.

Also...speaking of soundproofing...have all the TL owners noticed the thickness of the glass? Roll down the side windows and look at the thickness.

BTW...I do wish that the rear car seats would fold 60/40. Gosh that would be great.
    You're right. Now, the only thing left to worry about is the code-grabbers who scan your remote when you're locking up! :cry:
    To be honest, for me personally, I have limited use for folding back seats. I hadly ever used them when I had them in previous sedans. IMO, they have limited usefulness in sedans. Hatchbacks, of course, are a different story. The pass-thru is really all I need (for skis, hockey sticks, long broom handles, etc.).

Of course, YMMV.
    I agree, I can only remember using fold down back seats once. Just rent a truck if you have to. :P
    We're not talking about hauling a sofa or a big screen. Talking more about buying simple stuff like a 5 gallon tree, trellis, etc from Home Depot. The tree would not be happy going through the pass-through. Also great for those impulse purchases when you happen to have the TL with you.

Either way...would like a folding rear seat....but I have other means of getting the goods moved.
    I agree, a folding rear seat would be a nice feature, maybe the 06 will have one. But you don't use a TL to haul a tree, regardless of size. ;)
    I am considering tinting my rear window (not the sides)....and never done it for any of my cars.

Primary purpose is to avoid fading out the rear deck (I have a parchment interior). At the same time don't want it so dark that drivers behind me cannot see ahead and have advance notice of slowing traffic by seeing cars ahead of me.

What are the recommendations and experiences of others here? Also...how long does the tint last before it gets discolored, faded, or bubble? Are there multiple cuts where you will see seams or one piece? Prices paid?

Thanks. :shades:
    Hah...you are right...trees are not to be hauled. At the same time...there are impulse buys where you must have and don't want to make a second trip (because you are far from home).

The folding rear seats and opening size I had in mind are not at all like what you will see in the G35 coupe. The seats fold and there is an opening...but basically useless. I am talking about a sizeable and usable opening.

At the same time...once again...believe it is a structural issue where the Acura engineers decided that the opening would have reduced the torsion flex of the frame (btw...have you all noticed under the hood near the firewall the thick metal bar? According to Acura, that is to add additional torsion strength and reduce flex for the TL. Excellent engineering. Have to believe the same engineering went into the non-folding-rear seats).
    "According to Acura, that is to add additional torsion strength and reduce flex for the TL. Excellent engineering. Have to believe the same engineering went into the non-folding-rear seats)."

You're correct.
    Engineers run Japanes car companies, MBAs run American car companies. :P
This discussion has been closed.