Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• danashieldsdanashields Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know where I might find a nice Hybrid window decal?
  • esky13esky13 Member Posts: 3
    I will hopefully be picking up my Prius tomorrow. I understand that there is a 3 year basic warranty from the factory. What are thoughts about the Toyota Extra Care Platinum (extended warranty) as well as the prepaid maintenance program that they offer. I am less inclined to purchase the prepaid main. prog. and if I want an extended warranty, purchase one online close to when the 3 yr. factory runs out. I would truly like any and all input on this one.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    There are some Prius enthusiast sites that will link you to a dealer that will sell you that warranty for 985.00 That is the Platinum 7yr/100k warranty. I bought it and have no regrets.
    Thanks for your input. What do you think aboutToyota's offered auto care premium for $995?
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    There are a few neat decals on eBay. Do a search on Prius.
    I personally would not prepay for maintenance. The oil changes can be done at Jiffy Lube. It really is not a complicated car to work on with respect to that aspect. I am not sure if the prepaid maintenance has to be used at the particular dealership you purchased it from. If it is a Toyota sponsored program ,then it would be accepted all over. Most probably it is, but I still would NOT pay in advance for the service. I took a chance paying for the extended warranty and am glad I did. All cars are extremely complicated today. The Prius is definitely a car that would make most mechanics scratch their heads. This is why I bought the warranty. I have piece of mind and actually a good selling point if I choose to sell the car before it dies.
    Thank you SO much for your input. I have decided to not purchase the maintenance, nor the warranty from Toyota. I will be purchasing an extended warranty through another source. Know or heard of anything with regards to a company called warranty direct? Picking up my car this afternoon and I am starting to feel a wee bit excited!
    PLEASE... DO NOT purchase any extended warranty other than from Toyota. You are only asking for trouble down the road. I once owned an Audi and was considering a company called Warranty Gold. Glad I didn't purchase it as it went bankrupt. I find it unlikely that any other third party warranty companies would insure a hybrid. Best deal you can get is for $985 and it is on one of the Prius forums.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I agree....once I bought a 1994 Previa from Toyota...but they sold me a third party insurance ...which did not cover the supercharger...even though it was a factory part that came with the model....I think it was fraud....but let it go....

please do NOT buy any insurance that is not directly from the car company !!!!!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Agreed on the use of "third-party" companies. If you're going to get a warranty (which I do recommend and have on my own vehicles), use the manufacturer backed programs.

Ken
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This is the Prius Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. A bunch of way off-topic posts have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ganzganz Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to purchase a Prius package 4 for 23,776. Should I go for it, or am I making a mistake?
    Sounds like list price. Wait for the 2006 if you can. I hear it will have some nice enhancements.
    Thanks for the response!

It looks like I have to wait until mid-August just to *order* one. I'm ready for the car now. I haven't seen anything about the 2006 that makes me want it more. All I've heard is that you can get leather and satelite radio, niether of which I care about in the least.

The base price goes up $300.00, and I may have to wait until 2006 to take delivery, reducing my tax deduction by $1500. In my tax bracket, these two facts conspire to increase my purchase price of a 2006 by $750.00. Not to mention the cost of gas and extra depreciation I will incur with my current car while I await my new charriot.

No, unless you have some pretty compelling 2006 features to discuss, I think I'll be buying 2005 ;~)

So, any comments on the price? You mentioned that it 'sounded like list'. Was that a good thing or a bad thing?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Was that a good thing or a bad thing?

Not a bad thing, just maybe more than you can find one for. If the 2006 is an upgrade the 2005s should be easier to find discounted below MSRP. If the car you have picked out is all you want, go for it. By the way. I did not think I would like XM Radio until it came in my new GMC. I will renew when the 3 months of free service expires. It is great!! I work with a guy that just drove a new Envoy from Michigan to CA. He said the only interruption to service was going through tunnels.
    Don't forget you're buying a car at the end of the model year. Your car will not be worth as much as an '06. In the case of the high demand Prius, I guess that really doesn't matter too much. I did read about some interesting enhancements.
    - Different type of windshield that significantly reduces road noise
    - A tweak to the handling and suspension
    - Different colors
    -The front headlights, grille, foglamps area (fascia) changes, rear
    taillights change.
    -Possible different wheels
    -Better radio

Some other goodies, but this is from a reliable source.

I'd wait... that's just me.
    If the new Prius has all those enhancements, I would think it would leave some 2005s on the lots. That should make some good buys. I agree that you have lost a good size chunk of the value buying at the end of the MY. the very reason GM offered the deals on their 2005 vehicles. I don't see how a dealer would be able to get anyone to buy a 2005 when for only $300 more he can have a year newer car. Buying a 2005 Prius at a grand under MSRP would be fair.

PS
    That would be a good argument to use when negotiating. I think I will just wait for the 2006 if I have to pay MSRP.
    So, it sounds like the price isn't shocking anyone - just more of a 'meh, you could do a little better'? That's good news in my book, and I thank you for your responses.

RE: XM Radio - Yeah, I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, I'm just saying I'm not waiting several months and paying a lot more money to get it. Plus subscription fees... for radio. I'll just buy an Ipod and wrap it in the extra $300 I save for cushoning. ;~)
    I doubt there will be any 2005s on the dealer lots. First of all, they really don't have alot of inventory. These cars don't spend more than two weeks on dealer lots. Secondly, not everyone is savvy and knows about the new features in the 2006. I am certain there won't be any bargains on the 2005. Too bad.
    Just the opposite is going to happen. The new higher tax credits do not take affect until Jan. 2006. You would be crazy to buy at a premium when you will get back over $2500 after the first of the year.

The tax credit for a Toyota Prius, for example, would range anywhere from $2,500 to $3,000, according to Toyota.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/pf/energy_bill_consumers/
    Ah, I found the effective date - you're right:

The amendments made by this section shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2005, in taxable years ending after such date

I've read the germane parts of the bill. Page 1402 has the formula, and I ran the numbers. The Prius qualifies for both the Fuel Economy and Conservation Credit. Assuming an inertial weight class of 3000 lbs., the calculation following the rules of the bill for the Prius comes to $2750.00.
    "I doubt there will be any 2005s on the dealer lots" There are two dealerships in the Meto Detroit area with Prius sitting on their lots at MSRP. There is a third getting shipments in about twice a month. That one offered me $500 off. Wasn't good enough though as I snagged an '05 700 miles away for $1,000 off and free delivery by trailer.

I know for a fact I could have done better if I had found the Chat and Online sites before I made my purchase.

It all depends on where you are located.
    the calculation following the rules of the bill for the Prius comes to $2750.00

That is a direct tax credit that is much more generous than the old tax write-off. I think many people that catch wind of that will be holding off till next year. Dealers will have to be real lucky to get buyers that are unaware of the new Energy Bill. If that does not boost hybrid sales in the coming year nothing will. Especially the smaller high mileage vehicles.
    Yes, indeed. A tax credit is much better than a deduction.

I'm not convinced this will apply downward pressure on the current price because I don't think most people are at all aware of the tax benefits of hybrids in general.

For instance, I don't see any mention in my (admittedly incomplete) perusal of this thread regarding any state tax benefits that might already exist. Here in Oregon, for example, there is a $1500.00 tax credit (and I use the term advisedly).

And this is a board filled with fairly knowledgeable people.

In any event, with the tax breaks already in place, and with the new law taking effect pretty far in the future (you'll only see the benefit of the law come April 2007 at the very earliest) I think I'm going ahead with my purchase at MSRP. It's not *ideal*, but we need a car before 2006, so it's an ok choice for our circumstances.
    You might print out the section of the Energy Bill that pertains to the Prius. Explain that if you wait you will get an automatic $2750 discount on your purchase. Ask him what he can do to convince you to buy now. I cannot imagine people paying over Invoice for a 2005, with that kind of incentive less than 6 months away. If he does not know you need a car right now you have some leverage.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...that the cap on 60,0000 takers for the tax credit PER MANUFACTURER is for the life of the legislation - not 60k per year.

Estimates I've seen are that Toyota will run through its allotment in the first six months or so of next year, and that will be pretty much be that [there is provision for an extension, but it winds down very quickly after you hit the 60k number].

By contrast, the same source thinks Honda will go 18-24 months before exhausting its allotment, depending on how well the new Civic Hybrid sells. Ford might go 3-4 years; the rest are such minor players that it won't matter much.

So look for some real distortions in the market for the Prius in the next 12 months or so - a potential dry spell from now until the end of '05 [once the understanding of the legislation starts to get widespread], and some furious activity in the first 6 months of next year as buyers of the Prius, Lexus hybrids, Highlander, and maybe early Camry buyers, all compete to get one of those first 60k tax credits allowed to Toyota. By 3Q of 2006, the well for Toyota buyers will be mostly dry, and the car will again have to compete without the extra help of the Federal credits [individual states still have other programs going, of course].
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I already have my order in. I am the first on the list at this dealership which I have dealt with before. I have in writing that it will be $1,000 of MSRP. My family has purchased many cars from this dealer, and have been pleased with the service.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Good luck on your investment!! Sounds like you've done your homework and will be testing the waters soon as a Prius Hybrid Owner. Keep us up to speed when you get it and tell all.
    Railroadjames
  • greengal1greengal1 Member Posts: 1
    Excuse my ignorance - what is the difference between a tax deduction ($2000 on 2005 and older Prius') and a tax credit of $2750 on the 2006 -= other than the extra $750, of course. Is it a pre-tax dollars thing? thanks for passing on your knowledge!!
    A tax deduction is taken from your income. If you make $50k per year you reduce that amount by $2000. If you are in the highest bracket you will save about $600 on your taxes. A tax credit is much better. If you have a tax bill of $10k dollars you get to reduce that bill by $2750 or what ever the credit amounts to. Deductions are nice, Credits are REAL nice. If you wait till next year you will get a lot more off of your taxes. The down side is everyone that waits will make it a sellers market for the hybrid dealers. If you can use the credit as a bargaining tool to get a hybrid this year I think you will have a better chance of getting a good deal. Good luck.
  • mikecskimikecski Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2006 Prius which my dealer says will arrive this fall.
    From what I've read doing that will mean I fall between the deductions credit for a 2005 of $2000 and the credit credit under the new energy bill ($1200 to $2700) essentially in a low position of a $500 tax deduction. This does not sound good.
    You should be able to use the situation to leverage a better deal by purchasing prior to Jan. 1 2006. Tell the dealer I can wait and get a couple grand off my taxes next year or you can give me a better price this year. The dealer is going to want to move the vehicles when they hit his lot. You will probably have a better selection now than january when the rush is on for the tax credit.
    Dealers aren't that hardup when there is tight supply. They may just wait for the next eager person who is not familiar with the tax deduction/credit. Not everyone is a savvy purchaser and dealers thrive on that.
    Sad but true. I can always hope people read the Edmund's forum before venturing out to buy a new car. Could save them enough for a vacation to Hawaii..
  • priusguypriusguy Member Posts: 12
    I had a Sienna LE AWD on Wed morning which I left for the day, by 9pm I was driving home my new Prius. The AWD got 21 mpg and has no spare (I had 2 flats on my 2004 since I owned it --> $600 [run flat technology; also means a flat is NOT repairable]). Anyway, they gave me 20k on my Sienna with 39.2k miles and a couple of big scratches on the outside and the inside stained from carrying a bunch of bikes. The key to getting the Prius was that it holds my road bike w/o removing front wheel. They had one on lot and I purchased at list with no garbage fees. I feel I got a good trade on the Sienna. I also know about the tax credit vs tax deduction. I figure about $1500 difference in waiting till 2006. But, I'll make up $500 in gas before year end and the Sienna would probably have about 50k by then and probably be worth a couple of grand less, so I figure I came out ahead by buying now. Of course, this my just be trying to rationalize buying the new Toy. By the way, it's got the $5k option with navigation and all those other bells and whistles. I've only got 400 miles on it now (4 days), but so far it's great and lots of neighbors have come by to gawk at it. Enough for now. Thought some of you out there might find my experience interesting.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Congrats on your new Prius! I'm interested in hearing more about how you like your new Toy (in the Prius 2004+ discussion) because last year I made the same decision, to ditch the big minivan (Grand Caravan) and go with a 5-door hatchback, figuring I didn't need the big van 99% of the time. I wound up not getting a Prius then because I couldn't financially justify the extra money, but were it not for that I'd love to be driving a Prius with all the "bells and whistles", as you said.
  • miket5miket5 Member Posts: 12
    "place in service" is an interesting phrase. Sounds like I could order a Prius this year, taking delivery in January and still get the new tax credit. Does sound right to you?
    Priusguy, I'm also using my Prius to haul road bikes. I'm in the process of installing a 2" hitch (www.coastaletech.com) and adding a bike rack that I picked up from Target on clearance for $64.99 under the Coleman name, but looks exactly like the Sport Rider model at www.hollywoodracks.com. No need to remove a wheel or risk soiling the interior carpet.

PS I get more gawks and have given out more rides than in my wife's BMW.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Woah, better check with a lawyer. I suppose it might make a difference when you actually paid for the car.
    Whenever you paid for it, is when it is considered put in service. But you may have a point. If you don't register it until 2006..... hmmm... Anyone have any input?
  • slickwillslickwill Member Posts: 15
    Recently bought a Prius in Los Angeles. Seems like $1000.00 is the standard discount under MSRP. Several places offered that. I may have found a better deal but I didn't really want to wait.
    Cool on the 2" receiver hitch. After you get it and use it for a while I'd be interested to know of impact to your mileage for your Prius. How much was the hitch and cost of installation? I might do the same to avoid messing up the interior if not too big a mileage hit (I'm using a blanket now). I've seen some receiver hitches on trucks that appear to weight 100 pounds which would definitely impact the mpg.

I've showed the Prius to a bunch of folks in my bike club. A few years ago everybody was getting Isuzu Troopers, then the Honda Element, maybe now we'll migrate to the Prius.
  • kokerkoker Member Posts: 23
    The coastal 2" hitch weighs about 30 lbs. I put one on and am using a thule 4 bike rack on it. I find that when it is fully loaded it has alot of "bounce" and can even bottom out. I got the Thule model rack which allows you to hinge the bikes away from the car even fully loaded. The problem is that this particular rack sticks out 12-15" from the end of the hitch and so it angles down quite a bit. If you have one of the racks that goes straight up from the receiver you will be happier. As it is I am planning to modify the coastal hitch to have another hole, deeper in the receiver so the rack will stick out less.
  • georgecertaingeorgecertain Member Posts: 2
    Woah! There are a heckuva lot of people smarter than me on this board. Help! I just made the decision to go green and am overwhelmed by all the Prius info. I understand the differences in tax situation. Here is where I could use help: What have people heard about the difference in 2006 models? What are the new colors? Any sunroof? When does gossip say 06 specs will be out, and when may they arrive? Road noise and crappy sound system bother me so rumors of those enhancements, plus having a newer model year car, have me wanting an 06--but I need it in the next three months, not January. Any suggestions at trying to order an 06 for less than MSRP? Thanks people.
    There are quite a few enhancements for the 2006. The present model is a relatively quiet car. With the OEM tires on certain road surfaces, it is a little loud, but any car on certain road surfaces can be a little louder. I hear the front headlights are going to look different. There is no more Salsa color and I think there is going to be a different type of Silver. NO sunroof, but possibly a leather option. Also an advanced type of airbag system.
    Thanks for the response. I'll have to look into the Coastal. I'd like to hear later after you get some time with the rack, hits on your mileage or any other factors. Thanks. BTW I'm in VA?, You?
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Hello Ted. Just wanted to know what you think of your '05 Prius compared to your Infinity? I found it interesting that the "Infinity" was your "other" car.
    Railroadjames(want world peace....Use your turn-signal) ;)
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    Just heard on the morning TV news that Bush signed the energy bill allowing only hybrids that get over 45 mpg (Prius, Civic, Insight) to get passes from the DMV to allow single passengers in the "diamond" of HOV lanes during commute hours. In Ca it's a $271 fine for violators. I'm heading out soon to apply for mine. The only catch is you must also have a "Fastrak" or toll booth transponder issued by Caltrans (Ca division of highways) to complete the deal. I already have one so let's see what happens. They also said on the news that you can go online and get one mailed in a coupla weeks.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Just heard on the morning TV news that Bush signed the energy bill allowing only hybrids that get over 45 mpg (Prius, Civic, Insight) to get passes from the DMV to allow single passengers in the "diamond" of HOV lanes during commute hours."

Did the news program mention that the program is limited to 75,000 permits?
  • slickwillslickwill Member Posts: 15
    two things, Bushwacker didn't sign anything. But a Bill was passed by congress. Although you won't be able to drive in the diamond lane yet because just like washington they didn't pass the bill that will allow each state to give passes for drivers.

The problem as I understand it is the bill was attached with some other not so good stuff and failed.