Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The problem as I understand it is the bill was attached with some other not so good stuff and failed."

The bill was signed into law, and the temporary hitch between California and Federal rules has been fixed. They are going to issue the permit immediately; only Prius, Insight, and HCH meet the CA rules, and they will issue only 75,000 permits. Get 'em while they last...
  • georgecertaingeorgecertain Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your repply falcolnone! Do uou think that by pre-ordering an 06 I'll just have to live with MSRP?
  • miket5miket5 Member Posts: 12
    Seems to me anyone who is considering ordering an '06 Prius late this year (and probably wouldn't get delivery until after Jan.1) would be asking the same question. Will I get the credit since I'm not getting to "place this vehicle in service" until 2006? If to "place in service" means when I pay--when do I pay??(I've never preordered a car before getting it before) I know they want you to put down a deposit, but you don't actually pay until taking delivery, do you. My head hurts...gotta go.
    miket5
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I am considering the purchase of a new 2005 Prius. I was wondering if routine maintenance on the Prius can be done by your neighborhood mechanic - basic things like routine oil changes, tire changes, transmission flush, etc... Or does it require me to go to the dealer. Are they really expensive to maintain compared to regular cars?
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Just got a coupon book from local dealer.
    It does not single out Prius, per se.

I just did 5000miles on my Prius at local Toyota dealer. Same price as any other Toyota vehicles.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    If you're interested in getting a tax credit, you should wait for the 2006 models. There are also some modifications to the 2006 model as well. As to maintenance, you can certainly bring it to Jiffy Lube for oil changes. There is no transmission in the car, so less maintenance there. Tires...no problem. Brakes.... they last a LONG time due to regenerative braking. I intend to get a 2006 as well. My sister and brother-in-law LOVE theirs. They have a 2004 with almost 30,000 miles and have never had a problem. They bring it to Jiffy Lube for 5000 mile oil changes.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    falconone,

In post #4474 you wrote "There is no transmission in the car, so less maintenance there." Sorry, but that's not correct. For a vehicle to be able to move, there must be a way for the power to be transmitted from the motor(s) to the drive shafts. That is the purpose of the transmission, and all cars have them.

The following is copied and pasted directly from the Prius Specifications section of Toyota's website here:

http://www.toyota.com/prius/specs.html

"Electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (ECVT)"
    There is NO transmission in the conventional sense. That being a torque converter with numerous gears. It is much more simplistic and much more reliable. There is NO transmission fluid either.
  • larryg3larryg3 Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to buy a Prius in the SF Bay area after finally test driving a rental from Fox rental car near SFO. (A word on Fox, if you are renting to specifically test drive a car, call beforehand. Like most rental car companies they have not mastered the connection between reservations and actually having a specific car. I also found out the some Toyota dealerships rent Priuses.)

So, what is the current "deal" being offered by Bay Area dealer? Is $1K below MSRP a good target? I am a little concerned that approval of the law allowing Prius in the cacar poolane will spike demand slightly. Hopefully that will be balanced by the tax credit in 2006. Also, we are willing to travel within California to visit friends and get a Prius. Is there any restrictions or rerecommendationsbout a break in period.

Finally, any positive or negative experiences with specific Bay Area dealers?

Thanks and I can't wait to be sitting in Freeway traffic burning no gas and not contributing to global warming.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    call it what you want but it is still a transmission as it makes the vehicle go forward and backward. Hence at lest 2 gears of a sense. Same with engines, we have gas engines, jet engines, diesel engines, and electric engines. They are all different but they are still engines. A Prius is a completely different vehicle than any other car on the road, so do we not call it a car?
    We call it a hybrid. We also have a PSD. We don't have a conventional transmission. That was the point. We also DON'T have transmission fluid.
  • priusguypriusguy Member Posts: 12
    The Infiniti is/was excellent. I have a 99 I30 and just sold 95 J30 to my daughters boyfriend, which he thinks is just excellent. The 99 "Maxima" has 159k miles and is going strong. That's what my wife primarily drives. The 95 was my fun car, but too big on outside and small on inside (very impractical). The I30 has all the bells and whistles and is quite nice. The Prius is on a very different level. For my first complete tank the computer said 50.4 and I computed 49.9 and the I30 gets about 25 mpg. The Prius as you know doesn't have leather, sunroof and the Great Bose strereo, but otherwise lots of the same stuff on both cars. Of course the HID and nav system are cool and fun to use (I used the nav system to help design a bicycle ride). Enjoy your Prius!
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Oh, so wise and deep of wisdom. You have given so much to contimplate.....Is the Prius ...JUST a car or much more? Is it a technological marvel or much, much more? Do WE call it a car or do we call it ......maybe the "Holy Grail". How about calling it ...."The Car of Tomorrow..TODAY." How 'bout we call it the answer to our woes...like dependancy on foreign oil.
    Wouldn't it be nice if some day we didn't need middle-east oil to power our autos? My '04 Prius, with its hybrid system & unique "no shift" transmittion and phenominal fuel savings make it the right car for $3.00 plus a gallon gas. What more could a transportation want need.
    Remember...Just smile all you Prius & other hybrid owners when a Escalade, Navigator, Excursion, or Hummer goes by...They may pass you once but you'll be passing them when they can't pass a gas-station. We break 20's for gas. THEY break 100's for gas. SMILE all the way to the bank. So in closing ...What do we call a PRIUS???
    A SMART CAR
    A SMARTER CAR
    A SOLUTION CAR
    AN ANSWER CAR
    AN AVAILABLE CAR
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Hello from Victoria. I shot this one in front of our Hotel. I talked to a Prius Cab driver. He loves the car. Especially the gas mileage. His Taxi company has about 20% Prius. He said the other cab companies are about the same here in Victoria. He did say they had a couple batteries changed out under warranty. He has not had any trouble with his Prius. Very economical to maintain, much better than his old Crown Vic. I have not seen a single private Prius.

railroadjames,
    You cannot call it a Smart Car. That name is already taken. The Smart fortwo is everywhere here in Victoria, BC. The are inexpensive and get 70-80 MPG. The one owner I talked to thinks it is the best thing since peanut butter. Diesel is cheaper here so that is another plus.

O.K. O.K. I stand corrected. I did hear of the "Smart Car" but really now...Don't you think it should be called the 1/2 smart car cuzz it only seats 2? and...Why can't there be 2 Smart Cars?
    Railroadjames ( 55 mpg's in a Prius ain't bad) now that gas is crowding 3 bucks!! :blush:
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    I went to DMV and received an application to fill out. They stated about 2 wks before receiving sticker. Yes, there will only be 75,000 stickers issued, but since there are only about 56,000 hybrids in the state, I'm not worried about it.
    The photo of the Prius taxi mentioned diesel is cheaper there, here in the San Francisco Bay Area I've seen regular at $2.79/gal.....mid-range $2/90....super at $2.99....and diesel at $3.25 !!!!! No wonder truckers are pizzzzed?
    I'll let you know when I get my sticker and any add'l info.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • soundhlrsoundhlr Member Posts: 1
    I had also read at Priuschat regarding the 2006 Prius that there would be a CD player that supports MP3 and an input jack for an external player like an iPod and such. And 3 new colors and a different grill design. Also something about the burgundy inside trim changed to grey. I'm hoping to get a 2006 before year end too...I thought most new models came out a few months before the actual madel year...not sure about the Prius.

Josh
    Gas in Victoria is $1.089 per liter ($4.12 per gallon) Diesel is 45 cents per gallon cheaper. The reason being is the oil is shipped to the USA for refining and shipped back. Plus they have $1.50 or more of tax per gallon. Nice roads even in the wilderness areas of Vancouver Island. The Prius cab driver said his gas bill is 1/3 what it used to be.

There is no reason for diesel to be higher in CA than unleaded regular, other than politics. I guess they forgot already the truckers parking on the Los Angeles freeway in protest.
    Well in my local Lansing Mi. paper was an article on hot rodding. What were they hot rodding. The Prius. One guy in CA. an engineer had added a second bank of batteries that have to be plugged in and charged overnight but on shorter trips not over 90 miles between charges he was getting between 80 and 90 mpg. Another company in Ca is working on a Prius that they replaced the batteries with some special ones at about $12K and figured up to 230 mpg.
  • fish5fish5 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the LA area but can't find anything under MSRP...would you mind letting me which dealer offered you 1k under? Thanks
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
    I just read in the Sunday newspaper that to get the HOV sticker you must send in the application plus $8 and you'll get 4 stickers....one for each bumper and one for each rear quarter panel. I also saw that article about the guy (electrical engineer) who placed the extra batts in his car. He used small batts about the size of a red brick so it wouldn't add too much weight. I hope Detroit is paying attention! I agree, the prices of fuel here in Ca is allegedly due to higher cost of living, exotic fuel (environmental) blends and probably politics thrown in for good measure.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • aleknitaleknit Member Posts: 6
    most of the time all i do is read this stuff because i was thinking of buying a pirus, well i stopped thinking and got one today... why i'm replying to this; in california it is against the law to even have the nav system screen on while driving, don't even mention programing it when you drive.. so that woman has to pull over to program it unless she wants to break a law..

they passed that law this year..

sorry for blabbing...
    I got a 2005, yeah i know 2006's air is better but I never use air so it don't matter and they had this one on the lot so i got it.. they don't even have any 2006's here yet. I got it package #6 and they are adding leather when I make an appointment. so it's cool. I think the nav is great but the thing I'll use the most of is the bluetooth for my phone. I just get into the car and it connects my phone, thats sweet.. 32 miles and climbing, my privia has 265,000 and might be for sale (maybe not) ;)

aleks :shades:
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Convetional auto transmission versus CVT planetary ...

This has been discussed and rediscussed ad infinitum. Edmunds, has a search feature if you want to find the pertinent discussion without having to read the first 4,000 or so messages.

Either read, search, or move-on to new stuff !

MidCow
    Either read, search, or move-on to new stuff !

Dear Mr. Edmunds,
    I'm so so sorry, :sick: AND YOU ARE WHO? :P
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Keep to the Pruis and let's try to avoid discussing each other please! Thanks.
  • audiomanaudioman Member Posts: 4
    In postings on this and other Prius forums, I have read that the Prius has 'electric steering,' implying that there is no direct mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the tires, as I believe is the case on most other cars.
    Instead, it seems that the steering wheel controls sensors which ultimately control an electric servo motor that steers the tires. My concern is how much electronic complexity actually lies between the steering wheel and the tires. We all know that electronic circuits can and DO fail. A failure in this case could cause a very serious accident. (Indeed, I see ocassional postings here about Prius handling issues - lane drifting on highways, side drift caused by winds or a large passing vehicle, etc.)
    Can anyone tell me more about the Prius' steering system design? I WAS very interested in purchasing a 2005 Prius, but this design detail (if I am correct) really scares me. Thanks!
  • ampedamped Member Posts: 13
    Prius has a sophisticated fail-safe electrical steering system. Should the electrical power assist fail, the front wheels automatically turn full right to safely send the car to a stop against the nearest curb. If there's no curb, the car will safely proceed in right hand circles until running out of fuel. ;)
    Replying to Amped, who states, "Should the electrical power assist fail, the front wheels automatically turn full right to safely send the car to a stop against the nearest curb."

Well, thanks for replying to my post - but that sounds really scary! You're cruising on a crowded highway at 70 mph, and suddenly the wheels turn full right?! Sounds like a possibly lethal scenario!
    That is definitely not going to happen. No auto manufacturer will create a vehicle that will prevent it to steer in the event of problem. You will have full steering capabilities! Just imagine a car that uses hydraulic power steering. If the engine turns off, the steering gets heavier. As you are moving, you may not even notice it. Same thing with any car that has electric steering.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I think audio man was joking! No real fail-safe sytem would ever work that way, except maybe an RC airplane or RC boat.

Since there is no manual backup as with a convetnional "power" steering , I would think since the electric steering is a critcal system, that there would be aback-up electrical steering circuitu in case the primary steering system failed. As least as a design engineer that is how I would design it. Addtionally ,think about it from a corporate lawyer standpoint, to avoid liability there would have to be some redudandt or fail-safe circuitry for critical infrastucture components.

Bottom line, you have a very low probability that the Prius steering will fail completely.

There is so much ado about the Prius software problems becuase of a ignorance ( not meant to be offensive, just means that the information and explanation has not been supplied to the audience) misunderstanding of the current state of microprocessors and solid state circuitry that is virtually the same in every recent car/truck. For eaxmaple, the SRS system in current cars has extermely complex circuitry, say maybe a magnitude greater than electric steering or power split and yet know one worries about that.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. And the squeaks are making a mountain out of a molehill. There are manay, many satisfied owners that are being quiet.

Cheers and Peace,

MidCow
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    How does this stuff get started?

OF COURSE there is a steering linkage! The question is simply one of how you provide power assist - electrically [several GM cars use it, including the current Malibu] or hydraulically. In either case, if the assist system fails, the car simply becomes harder to steer - not impossible, just harder.

Yes, that was a tongue-in-cheek reply above - it is tempting to make fun of the silliness that occasionally surrounds the technology in this car. There seems to be a corner of the car-driving community that thinks this vehicle is some kind of Venusian sci-fi device - Toyota is a clever and resourceful company, and the car reflects a fair amount of clever resourcefulness - but it is neither revoluntionary nor "dangerous" in anything that matters any more than most conventional cars.

And yes, it will occasionally fail, like everything else made by man - just not as often as most other cars, thanks to that Toyota DNA.

I think the car should be on a lot of shopping lists [it is on mine] because it is a relatively small 5-door hatch with the room inside of a much larger car, and the fuel consumption of a much smaller vehicle. The rest of it is background noise. There is nothing revolutionary about electrical power steering.
  • rsharprsharp Member Posts: 103
    I think audio man was joking! No real fail-safe system would ever work that way, except maybe an RC airplane or RC boat.

Hey, don't forget the early days of the Jet Ski. When you fell of (which was often) you just bobbed in the water waiting for the ski to circle back to you. That's the image these messages conjured up for me. The Prius slowly turning circles around the driver out in a field near the highway...

That is one of the best posts I have ever read.
    Anyone around here ever hear of "SABATAGE" or the act there of? Some less than desirable types just wanna infiltrate these sites and cause minor difficulties. Lets make sure we stick to the facts as Joe Friday used to say.
    Railroadjames(the facts speak for themselves) :)

P.S. Long ago I sold "Jet Ski's" and the safety feature you speak of where by the unit would circle back to the operator was nice ...except that when the waves were rough(say 1-1/2 ft) the unit would kick back & forth doing "S's" litteraly running away from the operator. This could be detrimental to the health of a tired swimmer.....I know from first hand experience. One scary moment at the beach.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you have an issue with another member/post, email the Host so the discussion isn't disrupted.
    To the other forum members who replied to my original posting yesterday:

My concern about the Prius steering was sincere, and based on comments made by Consumers Union engineers who reviewed the vehicle. The review said the car had "vague steering," and also said the car 'lacked feedback from the tires because of the electric steering.'

Those statements led me to believe that the Prius steering system might be entirely electronic, which would, if true, pose a safety issue, in my opinion. Actually, all I needed to do was go to the Toyota website and look at the Prius specifications! There, it clearly states that the steering system is "rack and pinion type with electric assist."

I should have gone to the Toyota site BEFORE posting on this forum! I certainly never intended to "sabatage" the Prius or create "minor difficulties," as suggested by railroadjames. Today I test drove a Prius, and was really very impressed with its performance. If the car had just an inch more front legroom, I'd buy one without question. I'm just too tall. (I assume Toyota wouldn't authorize remounting the driver's seat - the left rear legroom wouldn't be an issue.)
    I got mine with package 6 also got leather seating installed, they doing that today. they had it on hold for someone else but the guy never showed up so i got it. none on the lots nowadays in ca since you can drive in the carpool lane with it. one dealer wanted a deposit and about a month wait for a 2005. screw that if I had to wait. why not just wait for a 2006. anyway out the door it cost me 31.. thats tax, leather , registration and whatever else they added.

was it alot?.. yeah i know it was, but I wanted one and it was the one my dauther wanted. I'm still happy with it. we going to give her (my new car) a name this weekend.

sticker was like 26 and change, leather was like 1700 then tax and registration. came out to like 31.

can someone tell me where to get the extended service on the car? I saw it here someplace on the forum and can't remember where.. Thanks in advance..
  • slickwillslickwill Member Posts: 15
    I bought mine a couple weeks ago. It was an in stock blue package 3, 05 from Miller Toyota in Culver City for 1k under MSRP. They had 6 in stock. They were happy to do it, they started at 500 under when I first emailed them, and they quickly went to 1k.

Talk to the internet manager. can't remember his name.
    The leather option could have been purchased aftermarket for half the price. That's how they get you. As to the extended warranty, don't pay more than $985 for the platinum Toyota warranty (7yrs/100,000 miles). There are dealers that will sell it to you for that price. One of the Prius chat boards has that dealer as one of their sponsors.
    Actually, your complaint about front legroom has been addressed numerous times by folks who are vertically gifted (over 6'2"). I actually read somewhere that an owner wanted to adjust the seat track an inch or two rearward to accomodate him better. I don't think it would be impossible. The 2006 model may solve the problem.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    If i buy a 2005 Prius after Jan 1 2006, will i still be able to get the $3000 tax credit for it. Or do i specifically have to buy a 2006 model.

Also, can you get the $3000 credit if you buy a used Prius after Jan 1 2006.
  • olcorralolcorral Member Posts: 1
    Dublin Toyota in the Bay Area says as of August 16 the last of the Prius '05's are being delivered now. The allocation for them, at least, has ended. They are taking orders for the '06 model and the delivery dates are a soft "next month"--September. The fleet manager stated the new models will have the leather option- tan and grey, no sunroof, different exterior colors available and -perhaps- mp3 line in for your iPods. Can not confirm on front end styling.
    If delivery is taken for the '06 in 05, you will not get the tax credit for Jan 1, 2006. Only after that date will you benefit from the recent energy bill. Deposit is not considered having paid for nor taken delivery on the vehicle since the deal can be cancelled. Only after the papers are signed, ownership assumed and registration filed with the state is the vehicle in your possession.
    More on the 2006 info as it becomes available.
    Any thoughts or info welcome
    Thank you,
    olcorral
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Just to muddy the waters a litte, SORRY ABOUT THAT!, one issue that I've encountered regarding the Tax Credit is the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).

Check with your accountant before jumping on the $2,000+/- credit as you may fall under AMT.
    Your comments were reasonable and quite acceptable.....I would only ask you to calm your fears by just "test driving a Prius". Do yourself a favor and see the ride & feel of the steering. I did two test dives B/4 buying. Those drives settled much of my questions as to the integrety of the Prius ride. After I became acclamated to the car's feel I was content that it was more than favorable. The only fault I would point out about the car's handling is ....In serious to strong cross-winds the Prius is susceptable to noticable effects . Is it serious?....No! Is it acceptable? Yes!
    As to the steering ....My grip was with the absurd remarks that mislead people to think that with a failure of the steering the car goes into somekind of right-turn mode. "DAH" Lets watch out for comments that are off the wall. Someone may get the impression that there was truth in that statement. I asked only that "WE" watch for erronious garbage to keep the integrety of this hybrid site. :shades:
    Railroadjames(Want World Peace...Use Your Turn-Signal)

P.S. I referred the question of the steering to my dealer hybrid mechanic... He said, and I quote.." Its absurd to think that the steering would have total failure as discribed! Nuff said.
    Its absurd to think that the steering would have total failure as discribed! Nuff said.

What did he say about the car just dying at 70 MPH on the Interstate? I consider that a total system failure. If the steering is rack and pinion with electric assist, it should just become stiff with loss of electric power. I cannot imagine a car being built that could lose steering control completely.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    Any car that fails at any speed will have the ability to steer properly. It does not matter what type of vehicle it is.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you wish to discuss problems that owners are having with their Prius, please use the Toyota Prius Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion. Thanks.
    "Your comments were reasonable and quite acceptable.....I would only ask you to calm your fears by just "test driving a Prius". Do yourself a favor and see the ride & feel of the steering."

I fail to see how a test drive would provide the technical details of how the electric assisted steering works. It would demonstrate how it feels, but would not answer safety qestions of a technical nature.

I gather from the discussion that the steering is not "by wire", which is how a lot of the throttles are set up these days, but rather electric assisted with mechanical linkages. It is certainly possible to make completely electric steering, it is called "drive by wire" and is used on almost all modern aircraft, for example. So the original question was not at all obtuse or uninformed.

Just for the record, here is an exerpt from a recall on the Gen 1 Prius, which had a similar system:

"There is a possibility that the torque sensors built into the power steering gear assembly may not function properly, causing an error in the signal transmitted to the steering electronic control unit (ECU). Should this error occur, vehicle control will be maintained, but steering effort will increase."

So don't worry about control of the vehicle if the electric steering has problems.

http://www.coastaletech.com/bulletin.htm
    "Also, can you get the $3000 credit if you buy a used Prius after Jan 1 2006."

It has to be a new Prius. It could be a 2005 if they are available. A dealer Demo would be considered new.