Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Re availability... here is the response I got today to a query I sent to a dealer in the Twin Cities, through Edmunds.com's referral service, regarding availability:

<start email>
    Unfortunately no one has the 04 Prius in stock at this time. The 2004 Prius are expected to start delivering to those who have them on order in late October early November. We are expecting to have a couple of "taxi" units, i.e., demos units for test driving only and not for sale, about the middle of October. We currently have a backlog of 25 units on order, and the list is growing. Last Monday the order count when I logged an order was 17 and now its 25. It takes a $500 deposit to get in the queue, which allows you to define the color and the package.

In the initial rollout they are planning to limit the build pattern to three configurations. We expect this to be the build pattern until they can ramp up production. As with most new product introductions our "Best Price" will initially be set at $500 off sticker.

04 Prius Configurations and Pricing including the $515 Destination Charge:

Pkg. #3/AF includes: Rear Intermittent Wiper, D/P Side & Curtain Airbags
    $21,345.

Pkg. #8/BG includes: Rear Intermittent Wiper, Smart Keyless Entry System, GPS Navigation, JBL Premium AM/FM/Cass/6-CD w/9 Spkrs.
    $23,665.

Pkg. #9/BC includes: Rear Intermittent Wiper, D/P Side & Curtain Airbags, Smart Keyless Entry System, Security Alarm, HomeLink Garage Door Opener, GPS Navigation, JBL Premium AM/FM/Cass/6-CD w/9 Spkrs, Vehicle Skid Control, Fog Lamps, HID Headlamps
    $25,760.
    <end email>

So if we do a little math, make a very rough estimate of 1000 Priuses for all of Minnesota for a year, about 80 per month, less than 10 per dealer per month... 25 cars represents a 2-3 month backlog. That's VERY rough math. You should ask your local dealer about their backlog, it could vary based on several factors. Also bear in mind that current Prius owners get first dibs on the '04s, so that demand must be satisfied first. When the word gets out about this car, I don't think Toyota will be able to make them fast enough.
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Toyota had a Prius seminar for SoCal dealer sales people last Friday. My salesman said that he got a chance to test drive one of several Prius for the event. They were told that local dealers could start seeing deliveries as early as next week. He promised me to give me a call and have a test drive as soon as a Prius comes in. I am looking forward to that.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > but those pictures said "smart start" on them and the
    > guy put the gizmo in the dash. I love this car!

There are pictures that *STILL* show the original (1998) Prius and claim that it is the classic (2001). So it won't surprise me at all to see a number of mislabeled pictures for the newest (2004) model either.

Lot's of pre-production photos are already making the rounds. Just look for a "Start" button. There isn't one on the production model. The name got changed to "Power". But reporters won't pick up on the fact right away, since they commonly reuse existing materials released to the media. Oh well.

JOHN
    That actually matches the info I have fairly well.

One addition is that I GOT MY CALL yesterday from regional! My 2004 is on the way and will be here in less than 2 weeks. Yeah!!!

So watch for a Silver 2004 Prius cruising the streets of the Twin Cities very soon.

JOHN
  • eatmyvoltageeatmyvoltage Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I had a chance to drive the new Prius & test the intelligent park assist last week in Japan. All I can say is VERY IMPRESSIVE.

The IPA system works very well and it's really quite amazing to experience. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, it doesn't use sonars but instead the rear-back-up camera (Japan-spec only). However, there is no need to worry about running over a dog or anything else for that matter because you, the driver, control the reverse speed by pressing/releasing the brake.

Also, to answer another question about why "P" wasn't part of the shift-lever. I understand from speaking with regulatory people that in some cases (and I don't know what those are), NHTSA requires that the PARK gear be separate from the other gears. As this is not the case with 'conventional' vehicles, I assume it has much to do with the shift-by-wire design.

Anyway, for everyone that has ordered/purchased a new prius, congratulations.. you're getting a great car.
  • jeep2jettajeep2jetta Member Posts: 53
    Thanks Eatmyvoltage for the info on "P". At least now I see a reason for the "P" not being part of the shift lever.

On another note, my sales rep told me recently that his dealership will definitely have one Prius as a demo vehicle. Since I ordered my Prius early Sept. I don't expect to see it until late November to early December. Hopefully sooner than latter. My rep also mentioned to me that a few reps from each Toyota dealer around the state (Texas) will be going down to Austin for a demonstration and education session on the new Prius put together by Toyota.
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    "Backy" posted that the initial release would offer only three build packages. Can anybody else provide additional info. on this?
    I plunked down $500 at my local dealer and was told I was first in line to get the single prius they had been allocated for a January delivery. The dealer called and got a commitment for Red which is the color I want but they were unable to tell me which package would be on the car. I would like #6BI and will be real ticked if it has the most expensive #8 or 9 and I have to start all over again. Seems that package #6 with the air bag combo and smart entry would be the most popular. T.
  • dupiedupie Member Posts: 22
    jeep2jetta: I just returned from the dealership that I ordered my 04 Prius from, the sales person said he and others from the dealership were going into Minneapolis for a training session next week on the new Prius, he also confirmed that their TRAC Prius will be in on the 15th of October, and that he will call when it arrives.
    The mechinec who works on the Prius models had his training three weeks ago.
    dupie61
    Dupie, yes, that is what my sales rep told me. Looks like a bunch of sales people will get training on the Prius, which is a good thing. Funny thing may be that some of us here (not me of course, still a novice at this hybrid thing) will have more knowledge of the Prius then some of the sales reps out there come delivery date. Since I do not expect my car to be in until December, I had put my name down at my local dealer to take a TRAC Prius out for a few days. I figure it's not going to hurt to have an extended test drive and get to know the car before I get my own.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Does anybody know why we don't get IPA if the driver has master control? Just stick a huge sign in the window that says:
    WARNING. DRIVER HAS MASTER CONTROL OF THE IPA SYSTEM. PLEASE TAKE CAUTION.
    > Does anybody know why we don't get IPA if the driver has master control?

The liability is a huge gray area... and you know how sue happy some people are.

Just look at the odd situation Segway is in. Some people IGNORE the low-battery warning. So after awhile of driving that way, the person falls over because the motors don't have enough electric to balance anymore.

And of course, it won't work well in the north. Optical systems are almost worthless in deep snow. There just plain isn't any way to figure out where the heck the curb is.

Then you've got the possibility that some people will abuse the system by figuring out a way to fake it into doing something it wasn't designed to do. Unfortunately, Americans are well known for being "innovative".

So it quite simply won't be available here at first... someday, perhaps.

JOHN
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Also, I can see the Japanese needing a car that can park itself in tight spaces given that country's more urbanized and crowded society.
    I know you said you wanted a response from other people on the packages, but I think if you read the dealer email I posted, it's pretty clear that Toyota is going to be limiting Prius production to just 3 configurations, or package choices, until production ramps up. Makes things simpler for them, probably helps with quality control. The details on the three packages they'll be offering first are in that email.
  • horsejdhorsejd Member Posts: 18
    In response to the package issue. I e-mailed several local dealers and, among other things, asked about the package availability based on the above noted post. The response I received was that initally the post was correct, only three packages were going to be offered, however, that is no longer the case and all 9 packages will be available. I am located in Southeast Florida so may be that is the difference. Also, I have not tried to order one with a different package so I cannot confirm that all packages are available. (New to the forum and enjoy the info)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    horsejd- Welcome to Town Hall, and thanks for your message.

Also, a special thanks to john1701a, mrvadebon, backy and others regulars here... that have provided a lot of helpful information and feedback in this discussion! ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • mrvadeboncoeurmrvadeboncoeur Member Posts: 146
    depends on how tenacious your dealer is, and what
    packages your region has decided to order. Yes,
    there are 9 packages available from Toyota, but to
    make things easier on the individual dealer each
    region picks what they think will sell in their
    area and that's what's available to dealers in that
    region. If you have a good dealer, they may be
    able to get you a package that's not in your region,
    either through special order, or by swapping with
    another dealer in a region that offers that package.
    Here's the list of factory-installed option packages available to dealers
    for model 1224 (2004 Prius). Each region chooses among these packages for
    what will be ordered/available in that area (so you may not have all 9
    options to choose from depending on where you are). With the exception of
    FE = 50 state emissions, each package conflicts with all the other
    packages (so you can't double them up).

Base 2004 Prius MSRP is $19,995. That does not include the Delivery,
    Processing, and Handling (DPH) fee, any option pricing, or any taxes or
    advertising fees.

FE = 50 State emissions = MSRP $0

RW = Package #1 = MSRP $180
    Rear Intermittent Window Wiper

GY = Package #2 = MSRP $650
    Driver/Passenger Side & Curtain Airbags

AF = Package #3 = MSRP $830
    Driver/Passenger Side & F/R Curtain Side Airbags

AG = Package #4 = MSRP $1,100
    Security Alarm
    Homelink Garage Door Opener
    Smart Keyless Entry System

AI = Package #5 = MSRP $1,920
    Security Alarm
    JBL Premium AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD In-Dash Audio w/9 Speakers

BI = Package #6 = MSRP $1,280
    Driver/Passenger Side & Curtain Side Airbags

AM = Package #7 = MSRP $2,255
    Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)
    Fog Lamps
    HID Headlamps

BG = Package #8 = MSRP $3,150
    GPS Navigation

BC = Package #9 = MSRP $5,245
    Security Alarm
    GPS Navigation
    Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)
    Fog Lamps
    HID Headlamps
    I've gotten some info on the New England region 2004 Prius availablity.

In this region, there are only 3 "accessory combination" packages
    available for Model 1224 (2004 Prius 5-door liftback, CVT-E). For the
    region, 92 Prius were ordered in August (for the September
    production/October arrival).

20% of the orders (18 vehicles) were for:
    Suffix AG = Combination packages AF + FE = MSRP $21340
    AF = Rear window wiper, side & passenger side and curtain airbags
    FE = 50 state emissions

40% of the orders (37 vehicles) were for:
    Suffix AH = Combination packages AI + FE = MSRP $22430
    AI = Rear window wiper, anit-theft system, garage door opener, driver &
    passenger side and curtain airbags, JBl AM/FM/cassette/CD changer with 9
    speakers
    FE = 50 state emissions

40% of the orders (37 vehicles) were for:
    Suffix AA = Combination packages BC + FE = MSRP $25755
    BC = Rear window wiper, anit-theft system, garage door opener, driver &
    passenger side and curtain airbags, JBl AM/FM/cassette/CD changer with 9
    speakers, Smart Entry and Start system, navigation, VSC, HID headlamps and
    foglamps
    FE = 50 state emissions

Color choices were for:

Exterior color: 040 Super White
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 5%
    Interior Color: 18 Burgundy/Dark Gray = 5%

Exterior color: 1C0 Millenium Silver
    Interior Color: 18 Burgundy/Dark Gray = 26%

Exterior color: 202 Black
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 4%
    Interior Color: 18 Burgundy/Dark Gray = 7%

Exterior color: 3Q3 Salsa Red Pearl
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 11%

Exterior color: 4S2 Driftwood Pearl
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 18%

Exterior color: 6S9 Tideland Pearl
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 11%

Exterior color: 8S2 Seaside Pearl
    Interior Color: 08 Brown/Ivory = 13%

I hear that these will be in by the end of the
    month (October). Also, brochures are arriving at
    dealerships!
  • bdkaminbdkamin Member Posts: 4
    Question for Jason. I didn't see the answer to the question, does the 2004 prius have an option for satellite radio? Do the blue tooth capabilities of the car go beyond cell phones? Perhaps one could use a blue tooth PDA to upload names, phone numbers and addresses (for the navigational system)?
    I had originally wanted Salsa Red but my wife does not care for the ivory color interior so my second option was the Millenium Silver which comes with the gray interior. From various pictures I've seen, it looks like the interior for the Millenium Silver cars were light gray and black but now I keep seeing posts of burgundy/gray combination. Which is correct? I thought that the burgundy/gray combo was for Japanese versions only. Any info Jason4Toyota??
  • papiercepapierce Member Posts: 2
    I put my deposit down on the 2004 Prius. I want it loaded. I'm used to driving an ES300. Am I crazy to sell it and go with the Prius. I really like the technology and the low emissions. The ES300 is beautiful but boring. Any comments appreciated!
    ...Can beautiful and boring exist in the same sentence? :-) I would go for the Prius. I had given up on getting a Mini Cooper S for a Prius and so I know what it feels like to give up on appealing, but conventional, automobile. My primary reason for going with the Prius is PZEV (some may say that the PZEV Prius is not going to put a dent in the environment, but I say, you gotta start somewhere). Getting great gas milage, cutting edge technologies, and being tax deductible are just icing on the cake. Happy choosing!
  • paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    I am a pioneer and placed my order in July. Are you giving figures for all of New England? I am in Portland, Maine and I do not see what I order as listed. Where are you getting your figures? I darn hope they ordered what I placed.
    that's what I managed to snag from my dealer last
    month...

I don't know if that list includes Pioneer orders
    or just non-pioneers or trac units or what.

My husband's 2004 (MA) is on that list, though. Pioneer
    package 3 = BC = fully loaded.
  • paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I don't think those figures include the Pioneer orders. If it did, why would the Pioneers have a choice in July if the dealer is going to give you what they have in the end.
    Here's my dilemma:
    I need more interior room and I have narrowed it down on the TL board to the I35 and the TL. I've decided to add the Prius to the list- but I won't be placing any order until Late November and I've heard that the $2,000 tax break was going to be cut after 1/1/04. Is that true? If I am getting a Prius, the second to last package listed above (pkg. 7 or 8, depending on dealer inventory) The whole Prius thing depends on how much the Acura/Infiniti dealers are willing to bargain and how fast I can get the Prius and how much the tax break is.
    Thanks for all the info. re: build packages. Its amazes me how you were able to get so much info. When I ask my dealer the response is "We don't know anything yet" We can't find out anything yet"
  • ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    It amazes me as well, oldfox! Our local Toyota dealer in Westchester County NY has not even got a brochure for the Prius...or even one for the 2004 RAV4. It seems so strange to me...it's almost as though they don't want to sell the cars. I've expressed interest two different times and not once have I left feeling that I'd ever hear back from them about the Prius...or almost anything else.
    ...well, at least it has not arrived at my dealer yet. However, my sales rep has been very accomodating by sending me a copy of a pseudo brochure (12pages total) called "Smart Consumer: The car of the future is here--now!" It was design to be inserts for magazines. If you pick up a current copy of Popular Mechanics, you will see this "brochure". It is a good read but most of the info is old news to me.
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    Was driving in Marin county California along Hwy 101 in Terra Linda and briefly saw two 2004 Prius driving together. One was blue and am not sure what the other colour was. They both had window stickers on them. Am not sure if they were driven by new owners or dealers. Unfortunately they went in another direction. The good news is that they are here!
    is something the new Prius doesn't have. Nothing is mentioned in the Toyota brochure. Wonder why? In sunny So. California, that may not be much of a factor. I think Canada requires all cars sold there should have DRL. Our neighbors up north will have to wait a while before they see the new Prius sold there.
    my understanding is that any non-HID 2004 Prius
    has DRLs.
    I'll be getting a copy of the brochure today from
    my dealer at a hybrid gathering event we're having
    in Worcester, MA (airport)...

I understand that John just posted a copy of the
    12 page brochure in a PDF here:
    http://www.john1701a.com/prius/prius-ad03.htm
    as was mentioned here before, the 2004 Prius does
    qualify for the US Federal Clean Fueled Vehicle
    tax deduction.

If purchased in calendar year 2003, the deduction
    off of your taxible income is $2000. (only a few
    hundred dollars off of your actual taxes, depending
    on your tax bracket)

If purchased in calendar year 2004, the deduction
    off of your taxible income is $1500, thanks to a
    sunset provision (that was pushed out...).

Depending on where you live, some states/localities
    also give you various tax breaks. PA was offering
    a grant program for a while when they had funding.
    (TX has the forms, but no funding.) There are
    tax credits in OR and I think CO. No/reduced sales
    tax in MD, NY, ME. VA owners can get the clean
    special fuel plate, which gets them single-occupant
    HOV access on VA highways. Many states allow you
    to carry over your federal deductions onto your
    state income taxes, so you also get the deduction
    on state taxes (MA is like this).

Look around, more detailed tax info has been posted
    here and elsewhere...
    $1500 isn't bad. My state and my neighboring state (OH and KY) don't offer anything that I know of, or otherwise I would have bought a Prius a long time ago if there was any benifit that was in addition to the federal tax cut of $1500.
    I have is 12 pages of heavy weight paper. It's an official brochure from Toyota that SoCal dealers are giving out to the public and not a consumer mag report. It has color samples of the 7 colors Prius is coming out with. Again, no mention of any DRL on the features page. Not even on the non-HID options.

It shows the "power" botton instead of a "start" button. There is also a picture of the front and side airbags fully deployed.

This is it, the wait is almost over. By this time next week, I expect to have driven the new Prius or if I'm lucky have one park in my garage.
  • ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    Thank you - must have missed that one along the way.

I think I need to find another Toyota dealership that acts as though they care about this new amazing car!

I live in Westchester County, NY...right next to the border of Greenwich, CT. Anyone have any personal recommendations?
    Went to the Motorama on main street Hendersonville, NC today and was able to pick up the same brochure mentioned by little pogi above. This is one neat car.
    All 9 option packages are listed as well as a list of standard and option items. Was excited about the color chart (I should have a Salsa Red by Jan) until I looked in the 2004 Camry brochure and noticed that the Camry also comes in Salsa Red - problem is the Salsa Red color chart for the Camry does not match the chart for the Prius. Oh well - minor hitch.
  • bdkaminbdkamin Member Posts: 4
    The button that start/stops the Prius must be labelled power and not start. If I had the smart entry and entered the car, I would only have to push the button to turn it on. When leaving, I assume it must be pushed again to turn it off. If the button was labeled "start", people may be confused as to what to do to turn it off.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    what about leasing the car?
    If the button was labeled "start", people may be confused as to what to do to turn it off.

I understand Toyota consulted with Microsoft on this design. ;-)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .......but does it have to be this ugly and this expensive?
    > does it have to be this ugly and this expensive?

Ha!

"Why does it look & operate just like every other car? I thought it was suppose to be the advanced new technology." Comments like that is why it looks different and costs more.

Ugly is just an opinion. Improved aerodynamics is a fact. Even SUVs are now beginning to adopt the smoother air-flow shape. It isn't just for the efficiency gain either. It is also because people are now craving something different. Looking just like every other vehicle is considered by some to be boring.

Expensive is a relative term. Some see the extras as desired features, worth that extra cost. For Toyota to release just a Corolla with a hybrid system without any interface enhancements wouldn't generate much attention. The vehicle would just achieve unusually clean emissions and high efficiency. That isn't much of a draw in the land of cheap gas and only minimal air-quality regulations. Goodies like the Multi-Display, Key-Fob, and Electric A/C come standard in Prius. No other vehicle offers these. That makes them a very unique draw, an expense some deem a well justified cost.

So there!

JOHN
    Never thought of the start button!!!!!
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    The Prius doesn't have to look like every other car out there to be nice looking. It could have it's own distinct look without being ugly. It's just my opinion that it isn't what I would call a nice looking car.

About the price, they could offer it as it is currently for the folks who want it that way. They could also offer a model with fewer bells and whistles for those who would like to pay less for one.
    I wouldn't mind paying $15K for a Prius with no energy monitor, no power windows, no smart-start. Just a regular car with a hybrid attatched to it.
    > It could have it's own distinct look without being ugly.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

The term "ugly" is extraordinarily vague. Please describe how you'd like a particular aspect of the vehicle to look.

> They could also offer a model with fewer bells and whistles
    > for those who would like to pay less for one.

They will. Look beyond what is available at this exact moment. Instead, look at what will be available at the time when the competition begins offering high-volume full-hybrids. That's at least 2007. At that point, a no-frills hybrid version of Corolla should be available.

JOHN
    > wouldn't mind paying $15K for a Prius

That's not realistic. The hybrid system adds a little bit to the base price of a vehicle. But since you spend less on gas, that little bit will later be saved. In other words, the improved technology isn't free.

Expect to pay less than $3,000 more for a hybrid version of a traditional vehicle.

JOHN
    Looks are subjective. I think the Prius is rather odd looking compared to mainstream cars (not ugly, just odd) but it isn't a mainstream car. Toyota is trying to stuff as much usable space as possible into a small package while making it as slippery as possible, and I think they've succeeded brilliantly without making the car hard to look at.

As for cost, I suggest anyone who thinks the Prius is overpriced does some math to compare the ownership costs of a Prius to a similarly-equipped Camry. Remember, the new Prius is closer in interior room to a Camry than a Corolla, plus it has hatchback versatility. The Prius will easily make up the small bump in price compared to a Camry with gas savings. Also remember the Federal tax incentive of $2000 off taxable income ($1500 next year) that will save most people hundreds of dollars in taxes.
    There's been some posts on driving the Prius in winter, regarding tires and starting. One thing I'm wondering about though is wear on the gas engine. I've read that the '04 Prius uses only the electric motor under easy acceleration until the speed gets to about 40 mpg, then the gas engine fires up. What concerns me is, what if it's a real cold day, say -10 to -20 below zero, I start out under electric power, and as I get up to speed the gas engine starts up and has zero chance to warm up before it must cope with highway speeds (and highway RPMs). With my normal driving patterns, the first time the car will get over 35 is when I'm on a freeway on-ramp about a mile from my home, and I'm getting up to 65 mph as fast as possible. With conventional cars, I've heard it's best to let the engine idle in very cold weather about 30 seconds before starting out. Is anyone else concerned about this?