Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Midnight... I think he was using a line from Saturday Night Live.. when Linda Richmond aka Mike Myers uses. It's like BUDDER!!!!!!!!!!

John should know as he has many many miles of hybrid experience in all kinds of weather. Perhaps he will elaborate on his butter analogy as I am curious too.

___Good Luck

____ David (LOL)
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > gliding over melted butter?

Forward movement is significantly easier using nothing but electricity when it's hot out. You don't have to feather the pedal to keep the engine from starting up. You can actually push fairly hard and still remain in stealth mode.

So think of it as pushing the car over the butter. It takes very little effort and you won't feel anything, just a smooth glide.

> Does this mean there is a loss of control

NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST! LET'S KEEP THIS MISCONCEPTION FROM EVER SPREADING. Perhaps the butter reference is misleading... Wayne's suggestion of "like budder" is much more appropriate.

> Does this mean that the interior sound level approaches
    > that of a Lexus LS430 or 68 dB when crusing at 80 mph ?

Stealth is only up to 42 MPH. And the noise is typically below 10dB. No, that's not a typo. Literally all you hear is tire & wind sound. The propulsion system is DEAD SILENT, since the engine isn't running.

JOHN
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I have the blue model with Option 9 and am VERY satisfied. I was not looking for a car that would burn rubber in 0 to 60 and don't want to ride on tires with 44 pounds in them. I especially like the ride even on the highway in windy conditions. The heater warms up really fast and it even heats the rear view mirrors as well as the rear window. The lcd screens are good for all purposes.The only thing I would like is a driver's rear release for the back hatch but I can live without it. Guess I have been spoiled by my past Cressida's and Avalons. I lock the car with the driver's arm rest control and haven't had any problems with that. I do look forward to getting the "Bluetooth" system energised and the dealer has offered to help with that. I have read all about it in the Navigation manual but would prefer to get expert assistance. I now havew 750 miles on the odo.
    > Rustling Leaves 1*10-11 W/m2 10 dB

Sweet example! I have actually heard rustling leaves while gliding along in stealth (while searching for a new photo location and enjoying the day off from work).

I've also listened to conversations at a distance while driving through a parking lot. People don't even realize I'm approaching from behind. So as a polite way off drowning out what I hear and cluing them in to my presense, I'll turn on the radio softly. They hear that over the almost completely absent sound from the car.

JOHN
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Just a reminder that the boards aren't watched every minute of the day, so yes, there are days where I wake up to a mess of squabble in a discussion. This morning was one of those days...

People, get off the personal attacks. The discussion is about the car. If you don't like another member, cool it and agree to disagree.

A number of posts were removed from the discussion this morning. I did NOT send our courtesy email stating why your post was removed...if your post is gone you can conclude that it was uncivil and contained personal attacks/swipes at another Town Hall member.

The Prius is an amazing technological advancement in the automotive world that is allowing people to skip stops at the gas pump. Let's not forget that. Posting in this discussions assists prospective buyers by giving them insight to the ownership experience. Let's not forget this either.
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    "Until then, I'm thinking of getting one of those "Danger, High Voltage" stickers for the back window. Whaddya think?"

Funny, but unfortunately people might get the wrong idea from it--like the Prius is actually dangerous to be around. I don't know.

I really appreciate your detailed descriptions of the tire change and how the car handles. Do you think larger rims would help handling, or are the tires more important? And would larger rims hurt gas mileage more?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Clever people would get it, I think it would be funny.

I 2nd the notion that the total silence at low speeds adds to the luxury aura. When they drove it up to me before my test drive, I thought to myself - not even a Lexus is that silent!

-juice
  • ampedamped Member Posts: 13
    boxfan, there's a large body of test data developed by people in the road racing community (with credit to Sir Isaac Newton) that show larger rims don't necessarily help handling in a stock vehicle. Typically, they're heavier than a stock wheel and only add to the bling factor. A heavier wheel will hurt acceleration, braking and stress suspension components by increasing unsprung weight. An extreme example is Formula 1 cars that all have 13" wheels by rule, and go pretty well!

If one were to add larger wheels, I'd be careful to get the lightest available while, together with the appropriate tire size AND WEIGHT, maintaining about the same rolling radius as stock. That will usually result in a larger tire contact patch that should help handling and braking (depending on tire choice), but hurt fuel economy through induced drag. I think it's worth it considering all the gains posted previously, and my belief and experience with the concept of active safety. By that I mean handling and braking enhancements allowing the driver the chance to maneuver away from potential trouble instead of just nailing the brakes and hoping for the passive safety systems to deploy, which usually gets messy.

As always, my 2¢.
  • officecorkofficecork Member Posts: 3
    I have just concluded my first fillup at 232.1 miles with 6.83 gallons= 33.9 miles per gallon.
    I have noticed my on board computer says I was getting 38 miles per gallon while operating for those 232 miles. SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE.
    WHERE IS MY 50 MPG?
    I live in Southern California, so cold isn't the problem. I have been doing very short trips, up and down hills, but I did the same in my 1991 Infinity G20 and still got close to the mpg promised. Plus I make up on the downhill what I spend on the uphill. Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions?
    I am a very unhappy camper.
    The mileage you are getting seems quite low even for someone who has a lead foot (not referring to you). What I would do is give it another few tanks and compute the average. Get a good quality gas and fill up the tank before you do the analysis. I would also press reset on the computer and drive on the highway for 10-15 miles and see what your overall average is. Try and maintain 60-70. If you still experience LOW mileage, I'd bring it back to the dealer. I have tons of steep hills and drops near my PA house and still continue to average 45 MPG.
    Short trips are very hard on MPG. Note that the EPA performs all their tests with the engine already warmed up to avoid the effects short trips have.

Climbing hills with timid pedal pressure hurts too. You'd be surprised how much overall efficiency will improve if you climb briskly instead.

Soft tires impairs MPG too. Make sure you are running the absolute minimum of 35 PSI front 33 PSI back. More like 42/40 is what I recommend.

JOHN
  • geogirlgeogirl Member Posts: 24
    Hello all,
    This is my first post. I did a search, but didn't find enough info about people who drive in the mountains and downshift. I live in Denver and would be routinely driving in the Rocky Mountains. Would like to hear from those who drive on real mountains and how the car responds. Does the "B" mode work adequately on 10-15% downgrades? Thanks for your responses.
  • emptyseeremptyseer Member Posts: 9
    I drove up toward the ski basin yesterday and back down just to test out B. In the steepest stretch through Hyde Memorial State Park I usually downshift to 2nd gear. (One frequently smells brake pad along about here.) B wasn't quite as good at slowing me down, but it was better than I expected. I had to brake only once or twice.

Of course, it is no where near the fun of racing through the gear box.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___The only dB measurement I have seen of the Prius of any online review was in the Edmunds review … What is this 10 dB non-sense?

2004 Prius:

Db @ Idle: 53/lo
    Db @ Full Throttle: 71
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 74

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    > Db @ Idle: 53/lo

How did they achieve that?

The 2004 Prius rarely idles, so the value should actually be ZERO.

JOHN
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi John1701a:

___Here is a repeat of the post in the other thread for you …

> “Since the 2004 Prius rarely idles, so the value should be ZERO!”

___Do you have a clue as to what you just said? No automobile could achieve 0 dB unless they weren’t running, they were traveling 0 mph, all mechanical and electrical HW was off, and you had a way of stopping the flow of blood in your veins because your heart would have had to stop while the test was performed … all in an anechoic chamber! Even then you couldn’t reach 0 dB unless you were actually dead (opposite of life) while sitting in the front seat of the 04 Prius while all the systems were completely shut down in the anechoic chamber.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    maybe the Prius could get a 1 or 2dB.
    I don't remember where I read it, but just a normal speaking voice is somewhere around 30-40 decibels. I know the Prius is quiet, but not as quiet as 1 or 2db.
    > No automobile could achieve 0 dB unless they weren’t running

I ALREADY RESPONDED TO THIS SAME POST ON THE OTHER TOPIC THREAD.

The point was Prius doesn't run. Hybrids shut off the engine, hence no idle.

JOHN
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The 03 Prius shop manuals indicate that there is an electric heating element inside the HVAC plenum but only for vehicles shipped "north".

Doesn't bother to define just where "north" is.
  • 381d381d Member Posts: 5
    Appreciate the info!
    That would explain the quick "warm up" I posted about. I'm guessing the element could be part of the cold kit (CK), but build sheets indicate CK is TMC standard equipment for all US Prius. CK usually includes things like heavier duty starter and windshield wiper motors, larger windshield washer reservoir, higher output rear window heater, and a couple of other things I don't recall right now.

Does the manual say the element is part of CK? Is there a separate fuse indicated, and if so, where is it located and what is the rating? Is it a higher capacity fuse than a Prius without the element? I looked at all of the stickers on my car tonight, but not the fuses, and saw no reference to CK or an element. Nor was there CK listed on the invoice or Monroney window label. Maybe we can figure out if we all have CK and the aux heating element. I'd be surprised if I didn't. Thanks in advance...
    Speaking of Excel, you may find this data from my spreadsheets intriguing:

Jan.... 40.9
    Feb.... 41.0
    Mar.... 43.2
    Apr.... 46.1
    May.... 47.1
    Jun.... 47.5
    Jul.... 47.8
    Aug.... 48.2
    Sep.... 48.6
    Oct.... 46.5
    Nov.... 44.6
    Dec.... 41.5

Those are the 3 year (59,827 mile) monthly averages with my 2001 Prius in Minnesota.

Notice how efficiency and warmth coincide.

JOHN
  • mnemkomnemko Member Posts: 6
    First, thank you all, especially John1701 for the generous postings. Most informative.

I ordered a silver with #9 package on Oct. 22. Still waiting.

Two questions in light of your postings:

In light of the postings on this forum, I plan to change the tires. Is there a reason the only tire mentioned has been the the Potenza RE950 195/60 HR-15 rather than say Michelin Hydroguards, X-1s, or Harmonys or GoodYear Aquatred IIIs?

Do you have any sense of whether in California (where, where I live, in winter, temps range from 60 to 28) and in summer from 50 to 90), how much the bladder will reduce the tank's capacity? And is it worth trying to figure out if there's a way to remove the bladder or even change the tank to a European bladderless?
    I've ordered it in silver, but haven't seen either color. Has anyone seen the Prius in both colors. Does it look significantly better in one vs. the other? I could still change my color preference.

I also read, on this forum that one person found that door trim strips make it look more attractive? Anyone else have the same experience?
    > Michelin Hydroguards, X-1s, or Harmonys or
    > GoodYear Aquatred IIIs?

Here in the Midwest, tires designed specifically for better water performance are of little interest. I've never known anyone to by them and they aren't really advertised. My guess for the reason is that they don't do well on snow & ice.

> how much the bladder will reduce the tank's capacity?

You may not ever experience it. To even notice it, the temperature has to no more than 35^F at the moment of refueling AND the gasoline stored in the underground tank must be cold. (In Minnesota, the ground freezes solid and stays that way until the end of May.)

At about 20^F, the effect becomes evident enough to notice without effort.

The real capacity loss doesn't actually kick in until the temperature dips below 5^F.

For you in CA, the only bladder problem you'll likely ever have is the fact that yours is smaller than the one in Prius. So you'll have to stop even though gas isn't needed. ;)

JOHN
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I would also be interested in owners' experiences in changing tires. It appears there have been good results with the Potenzas, but I've heard good things about the Aquatred III (not on the Prius however, but on a Camry).

As for colors, I had made Salsa Red Pearl my first choice on the order, but then I saw another Toyota in that color and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I would like a lighter color on the Prius. The Toyota site that lets you see the car colors may help, if you haven't used it yet. My favorites are Millenium Silver and Tideland Pearl, but since I don't like the grey interior that comes with Silver I changed my order to have Tideland Pearl as the top choice, with Seaside Pearl second and Silver third. A practical consideration for me with a red car is the road salt used in my area in the winter, which looks hideous on a dark car even in small quantities but not as bad on a light-colored car. I've found with other cars that silver does a good job hiding road dust, and salt spray.
    I was torn between the Silver and the Red. I ultimately chose Silver. It conceals the road salt filth here better (my 2 previous vehicles were dark) and does look more futuristic. The Red is quite popular, a great choice but rather common... which is a nice benefit if you just want to blend into the crowd anyway.

The sunset photos here show both of my Prius parked next to each other. And next to my Silver 2004 is a Salsa Red 2004.

Sorry, you can only see part of and the lighting is close to dark. But that's better than nothing. Someday I'll be able to get better photos, and of all the colors.

JOHN
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    Although I have not actually seen the Tideland Pearl, I have read quite a few posts which indicate that the Tideland is a much darker green - more dark charcoal - and that the green only shows up in sunlight. Posts seem to like the color but it is darker than Salsa and if your looking for something lighter.....
    About the Potenzas, or any other tires being considered, check www.tirerack.com for test and tech data, comparison reviews, user reviews, pricing and availability. They also provide value added benefits like heat cycling and shaving, usually done only for race tires, but the heat cycling is a good idea for any tire. I do the poboy heat cycling on street-use only tires. Right after install, I'll run at freeway speed for an hour before shutdown for the night. More info about heat cycling benefits are on the tirerack site.

I could've gone with either the Michelins or Potenzas, and have had good luck with both brands previously. I've been pleased with my choice, and surprised at their competence in snow.

About colors, I had a MS on order, but went to a long-lead preview and saw all the colors next to each other. I switched to SRP mainly for the beige interior, but also like the look (in direct sunlight) of the four-step very expensive pearl paint process...for no additional charge. Certain German makes charge thousands extra for pearl paint. MS will hide dirt better, but I didn't care for the monotone exterior/interior combo. The darkish SRP also highlights the futuristic LED tailights, HID's and polished-look wheels better than lighter colors. It all comes down to personal preference. At least with a SRP, trust me, in ultra-green Oregon you won't blend in with a Prius. This car gets almost as much attention as my MR2 Spyder did at it's debut.
  • sharkesharke Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post as well. I have ordered a Prius (driftwood, pkg 3 ) and have been told to expect delivery in approx. 4 to 6 mos. Being in no hurry this is OK. I ordered same based on your many "constructive" questions and answers and have never driven in one. The fact that Motor Trend has chosen it as COY makes me feel more comfortable with my choice. Occasionally my wife and I take reasonably lengthy trips and she enjoys putting the back of the front seat into a reclining position sin order to nap. I haven't seen anything in these postings re: the comfort of the passenger seat. Can I assume that it reclines fully?? I will probably think of other questions as time passes, but most have already been answered.
    oldfox - Thanks for the info. If I don't like the Tideland Pearl when I see it, there's always the blue or silver. But I've seen photos of the blue and it looks fairly dark too, but a good match for the ivory interior IMO. Since my car isn't due in for a few months yet, I'll probably be able to see a Tideland Pearl car before then--maybe the dealer will let me switch the color preference yet again.

I agree with john1701a on the "futuristic" aspect of Millenium Silver--how many red starships do you see? 8-)

sharke - I got to spend some time in the front passenger seat while my wife was at the wheel, and IMO the passenger seat felt even more comfortable than the driver's seat. The thigh support was good and the lumbar support was great. I didn't recline it (my kids were behind me).
    Thanks for your comments on red vs silver. Because I'm a pig (rarely wash my car), I better stay with the silver.

And John, in addition to your authoritative advice, a sense of humor: "In California, with the Prius's long cruising range, worry more about your bladder than the car's." Brilliant!

Re tires, tirerack.com has (to continue the genital allusions) orgasms over the Michelin Harmony and X-1. And its treadwear is longer than the Potenza. Any reason not to prefer to Michelin or Aquatred (which isn't just for rain.)?
    > Can I assume that it reclines fully??

HA! That's an understatement!!

It reclines so far back that you can actually get it COMPLETELY FLAT.

That allows the back seat to fold down on top of it, which provides over storage room of 8 FEET.

So yes, it reclines "fully".

JOHN
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    The earths temperature below the 'frost line' is generally 54 - 57 degrees. Frost lines are 2 - 4 feet in most of U.S. Tanks are usually far below that.

I would think that most of the gas pumped in the U.S. is the same temperature most of the time when it comes from the tank to the pump and then begins expanding or contracting depending on surface temeperatures.

How does that affect the thinking about bladders etc.
    Thanks for your comments on red vs silver. Because I'm a pig (rarely wash my car), I better stay with the silver.

And John, in addition to your authoritative advice, a sense of humor: "In California, with the Prius's long cruising range, worry more about your bladder than the car's." Brilliant!

Re tires, tirerack.com has (to continue the genital allusions) orgasms over the Michelin Harmony and X-1. And its treadwear is longer than the Potenza. Any reason not to prefer to Michelin or Aquatred (which isn't just for rain.)?
    > How does that affect the thinking about bladders

Capacity measurements have been performed in the past without documenting the temperature. So I just wanted to point out that pump source is important, like using room temperature gas inside a service garage. After all, that is what makes direct contact with the bladder.

JOHN
  • iabendscheiniabendschein Member Posts: 2
    Regarding post 1624 --If you want to know what your Prius will look like do this;
    Go to the Toyota site, Find PRIUS, Click on pictures and then colors. You will see a picture of the Prius with all the colors that are available in small boxes below it. Click on a color and the car picture will change to that color. A cute way to do it. Remember that the accuracy of the color depends to a great extent on the quality of your computer.
    Can anyone tell me what the "vehicle stability system" does and how it works?
    I am supposed to get my car at the end of this month. Very exciting. I need a new toy.
    > tell me what the "vehicle stability system"
    > does and how it works?

VSC is similar to ABS in concept, except it activates while driving rather than while braking.

If you take a slippery corner too hard, it will automatically detect that and counter the slipping by applying the brakes for you (even though you are touching the brake pedal) and only the side that needs it.

It's a assistance response, just enough to help prevent you from slipping into a dangerous skid.

So far this winter, I have actually only triggered it once. It was on a hard right turn up hill with heavy traffic behind me, a corner that is difficult even when the road is completely clean & dry. A light came on and there was a beep. I couldn't even feel what the computer had done for me.

It works so well I actually worry a little bit about people abusing it by intentionally taking risks they normally wouldn't.

JOHN
    "The Red is quite popular, a great choice but rather common... "

You mean on the Prius, or in general? I actually think silver is a lot more common than red. It's understandable, since it hides dirt, but to me silver is the color that blends in with the crowd. Do you have any data on the most common colors of the Prius?
    > You mean on the Prius, or in general?

In general. I see a lot of Camry that color.

> Do you have any data on the most common colors of the Prius?

Nope. But like you, I believe silver is the popular choice for Prius... currently. And that's probably just due to all the promos using that color. Once consumers see the others, the mix will likely become more balanced.

JOHN
    An article in the current Motor Trend (a "Perspective" by Dan Carney) talks about skid control systems and studies that have shown how effective they are. A few quotes: "Mercedes-Benz's research cites a 29-percent reduction in single-car accidents and a 15-percent reduction in overall crashes, thanks to stability control. Deadly high-speed wrecks were slashed 55 percent." "DEKRA Automotive Research, in Germany, found a 27-percent drop in serious loss-of-control crashes. Toyota reports a 35-percent drop in single-car crashes and a 30-percent reduction of head-on crashes in Japan."

I don't know about the other studies, but I've read that Toyota's study was comparing accident rates of the same vehicle with and without VSC. From what I've heard, ABS hasn't proven so useful in the real world--the speculation is that people become overconfident when they have it. VSC and side-curtain or other head-protecting airbags both seem to have a real benefit, and it's great that you can get them on the Prius without having to pay for every possible option. It's hard to find VSC on any car in the Prius' price range. VW offers it as an option on all their models. It used to be an option on the Focus, but that's been eliminated because people weren't buying it. In Europe, 50% of vehicles have VSC, vs 6% in the US. Europe also has much lower highway death rates than the US. Here, people just by an SUV because they "feel" safer, instead of actually learning anything about highway safety. Okay, now I'm ranting, so I should stop. But I think VSC should catch on, and it's definitely something I'm looking for in my next car.
    John,

"In general. I see a lot of Camry that color."

Now that you mention it, Toyota has sold a lot of darkish-red cars. My 1990 Camry is dark red, and my parents have a new Sienna and an old Previa in similar colors. I haven't seen the Salsa Red Prius yet, I had the impression it was a little brighter than the red on my car, which is kind of dull. Your picture of your silver Prius on your home page is great, by the way--it catches the colors of the sunset.

Does Seaside Pearl look brighter in real life than on the Toyota website?
    I just noticed that there are two new Priuses, a Package 3 and a Package 8, being sold by someone in Inver Grove Heights, MN on eBay. I assume this is Denny Hecker's Toyota because the same seller is offering a couple of used Priuses. If it is Denny Hecker's, this is kind of interesting because I stopped in there a week ago to see what kind of deal I could get (owning another car purchased from Denny Hecker's and having received an offer for $500 off from another dealer) and the sales manager told me that they used to give $500 off but don't anymore because of their long waiting list. Apparently their waiting list isn't so long that they can have two Priuses available to sell on eBay, with the current bid on the Package 3 car (Millenium Silver) at $19,600, almost $2000 under MSRP (but the auction still has a few days to run).
  • drscientificdrscientific Member Posts: 23

If yours is less than or near to this, you may have defective transaxle.
    > Does Seaside Pearl look brighter in real life than on
    > the Toyota website?

It's actually darker, a deeper blue.

The online color samples aren't all that accurate when viewed on the typical monitor.

JOHN
    I do like the Salsa Red Prius and the Salsa Red Sienna. The Red on the Camry looks like it's trying to be a sports car, which the Camry is not. So I prefer Stratosphere on the Camry.
  • ronaldk988ronaldk988 Member Posts: 6
    I initially ordered the Tideland Pearl. I was visiting in Seatle and went to one of their Toyota dealerships and there were 11 Prius's on the lot! They were all sold. I saw every color except black. The Tideland was a dark almost blue/grey with almost no green. There was no metalic sheen to it. I was very disappointed. Not only was it not attractive, it was a dark color and would show dirt very easily. I changed my order to the less exotic silver. I like the darker interior as it will age more gracefully (I think)

Now how did Toyota of Seattle get 11 cars in one shipment? (they were all sold of course)
    Toyota of Seattle had 11 Priuses on order by their customers and they submitted it to Toyota and guess what? POOF! They got the Priuses.
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    My Prius, which I hope to pick up before Christmas is Salsa Red Pearl. I Have seen this color and it is a bit like Candy Apple Red but just a hint more maroon in it. Very nice color for the small Prius. I See very few red and many, many Silver on Prius and most other cars - Silver seems to be the most common color. The blue is very nice, not too dark. To each his/her own. Gee maybe thats why cars come in different colors.