Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    Loconetter: Yes the Salsa Red is quite nice isn't it? I got mine on the 15th and have had a ball since. My Check Engine/MWL came on at about 30 miles but went off again after 15 miles.
    Have read the posts and it seems two things can cause this. (1) Loose gas cap. (2) Coating on Catalytic Converter needs to burn off and while it does the fumes produced trip the warning light. After about a hundred miles the light should go off. If not check Johns page for a proceedure to burn the coating off in a hurry (Get up to speed 65mph hold for a minute drop down to 45 back up etc. not a very complicated procedure but doubt you will even need it. Just enjoy the car for a while and all will be OK.
  • finestackfinestack Member Posts: 26
    Along with the Mazda RX8 and Cadillac XLR, the Prius is a finalist for AutoWeek (another horsepower/torque enthusiast's rag) North American Car of the Year.

The decision will be announced at the NAIAS in Detroit on Jan. 4. Good luck, Prius!!
  • loconetterloconetter Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to backy and oldfox. I went over 100 miles, stopped to complete an errand. After getting back on the road, no more Engine Malfunction light! BTW, has anyone figured out what is needed to use the Homelink to turn on interior house lights? And if so, how to program it? The manual says contact your dealer. They had no idea.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I originally posted the message about oil in exhaust system. My light came on after driving 140 miles on I-29 at 70 mph. Car had about 400 miles on odo. Upon returning home, light still on after the return trip of 140 miles at 70 mph. Dealer called California and was told cars exhaust system are coated with oil before loading on boat. Suggestion was to burn it off. Someway they got the light off. It happened again a week later but soon the light came off by itself. Now have 1100 miles on odo and light has not come on. I had Homelink on my Avalon and programed garage door opener and a light in house. You have to get a homelink module-Lowes have them - and plug the light into the module and of course, program the module to the car, similar to the way you programed the garage door opener.
  • texassalsa04texassalsa04 Member Posts: 34
    ...Ok, I have done everything I can think off to keep the rear area of my Salsa Prius from rattling and annoying the heck out of me. I check around the floor board of the "secret compartment" added some felt strips to dampend any noise. Did the same for all the plastic trim pieces around the rear hatch door. Checked and added felt strips around the notch for the retractable toneau cover. Checked all the tools and prop stick in the secret compartment. Checked the rear license plate frame and license plate too...and I am still getting this anoying rattling when I drive on semi rough concrete roads. Most pronounce when I drive across groves that devide sections of concrete. The sound is like plastic hitting against plastic or plastic against metal. Has anyone else has/had the same problem?? How was it resolved?? My only other guess is the rear window wipers...
  • revnkevinrevnkevin Member Posts: 9
    I just got back from a trip from Fresno to King City , Ca. yes there where some hills , I went 330 miles ,and it took 6.52 gal, thats 50.6 Mpg. I drove from 55 to 70 Mph . I have now 2300 mile on the 04 Prius, and a lifetime Mpg of 47.2, that very good for a mid size car!!!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    nice to hear you had a nice buying experience. Some other people aren't as lucky as you to get a nice dealer who always did what they promised.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I had an excess pair of expensive genuine sheepskip seat covers. After talking to the Service Manager, he suggested cutting out the side bolster cover from top to bottom so as to not interfere with side airbags. I have done that but had to add a couple of additional ties. Also had to cut out a small section on bottom , driver's seat, to allow access to the seat reclining knob. Also on passenger side. They fit fine and I am happy with my installation. It does take a little work to feed the rubber ties under the seat but, it works fine and saves the seat covers for use instead of throwing them away.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Thank you revnkevin for the update on Prius mileage. Are the Priuses required to undergo the same smog testing/frequency as other California autos? I'm still tossed whether to go with the tried and true Camry, rock steady Corolla or take a gamble on a Prius. Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions.

Rich (Happy holidays Sylvia and everyone!!!)
  • talleyidtalleyid Member Posts: 34
    I picked up my Driftwood Pearl #9 Friday the 19th. It had 4 miles on it and I drove aprx. 10 before receiving a check engine light. I called the salesman to report it but based on the previous threads I wasn't too worried since the car was running fine. Drove a total of about 60 highway miles on an errand the following day. The light was off the next time I started the vehicle.

Now I don't have to envy all of you anymore! Ha! This car is the most fun I've had commuting for a long time.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > The 10 dB sound level was when John1701a compared
    > the Prius to a Lexus LS430 at a noise level of 68 dB at
    > 80 mph.

Then there was obviously a misunderstanding, since discussion was about how quiet Prius was with the ENGINE OFF.

And since the maximum speed with the engine off (electric-only, aka: "stealth") is only 42 MPH, there should not have been any belief that the statement was somehow related to highway driving.

See, this is the very problem caused when certain people (you know who you few are) don't include the original quote. It allows the opportunity for misinterpretation.

JOHN
    > You were asked to compare the interior sound level to
    > that of a Lexus430 going 80 miles per hour. Did you answer
    > a different question that what you were asked?

I answered the original question in an attempt to get us back on topic. The abrupt switch, in this case to highway, is something that happens often here.

And I still see no constructive benefit of attempting to discredit someone. Remember how it was claimed that my statement was about highway speeds, that referral back to #1593 clearly shows it wasn't.

JOHN
    This weekend it got really "warm" in Minnesota, the temperature was in the 30's. That combined with break-in (at 4,000 miles now), the 178 miles of mixed driving resulted in a Multi-Display value of 52.2 MPG.

That's absolutely incredible considering how efficiency conditions are still far from ideal. I can't wait to see how high the value climbs when the real warmth arrives.

JOHN
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Has anyone compiled a list of states that accept hybrids in HOV lanes? Just curious.

-juice
    For my 2001 Prius, rounding error made it off by +2.1 MPG overall:

59,827 miles / 1,318.455 gallons = 45.4 MPG calculated

59,822 miles / 1,259.699 gallons = 47.5 MPG displayed

All the detail for how the "displayed" was derived is available on my lifetime spreadsheet. Assumed gallons, for each tank, comes from what it thought it got divided by actual distance.

So basically, just subtract 2 MPG from what you see and you'll be darn close to actual without needing a calculator.

JOHN
  • ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    I took delivery on my Prius about 2 weeks ago. As I mentioned then, the dealership, Toyota of Santa Monica (CA), added paint sealer and Lo-Jack. I didn't mind the Lo-Jack so much as they have a sign posted that they install it on all the cars they sell. The paint thing was a bit much. When we got our customer service survey, my wife called them and let them know how disappointed they were. The customer service person was great with us but said she couldn't do anything about the price of things (the paint sealer cost us about $500 extra). She referred us to the sales manager. My wife spoke with him and he was absolutely RUDE to her. He basically said that if we didn't like what had happened we could return the car for a refund. He could resell the car the same day. She is taking the matter up the ladder to Toyota (whose US headquarters is here in LA) and to the dealerships owner. I would have been happy with a simple "I'm sorry but that the way we do things" but to be rude was not acceptable. We love our car and of course won't return it but be forewarned. I'm sure this is happening all over the country.
  • wlblackwellpewlblackwellpe Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my Prius on Oct. 8, 2003, before they had any demos. I got delivery on Nov. 5, 2003. White with package # 7. It came with floor mats additionally, but I would have ordered them anyway. Good salesman, Pete Cogan at Price Toyota. Cost was MSRP but they included three oil changes.
  • ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    I've had my "gold" Prius about 2 weeks and have about 800 miles on the odo. So far I am getting around 48 mpg. Not the greatest but more than good enough for this sized car. I do a combination of city and highway and I-405 (anyone that lives in LA knows what that is, go 100 ft, stop, go 100 ft. stop, etc) driving.
    As for the HOV lanes. There is a bill (AB114) pending in our state assembly to approve hybrids for HOV travel with one occupant. What we can do here in CA is go to the CA Legislative site http://leginfo.ca.gov/index.html , look up the bill and write a note to the people presenting it. Then wait, and wait, and wait. Good luck to other states with getting the Prius approved.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    In my instance the Multi display has ALWAYS showed LESS MPG than my calculated MPG. I prefer this as I like to rely on the display in a conservative way to figure what I can yield on a tankful. On the times that I did do the math, the display has always been around 2 MPG LESS than what I actually achieved.
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    The other morning I was tooling down Interstate 19 (southern AZ)and this strange icon lighted up on my dash display. It was located just the the right of the cruise control "on" icon.

I was somewhat concerned after hearing about people having breakdowns with their Prius after several display lights came on in succession.

Anyway, I got the owner's manual out and found the icon...seems as if this icon will display when the outside temperature gets down to 37 F.

Next morning...same thing and sure enough the multi function display indicated outside temp was 37. When temp went back up...the icon light went off.

Question...what is the significance of knowing when the temperature gets down to 37 (other than it is getting cold outside)?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Prolly to let you know bridges might be frozen, so conditions could get slippery.

-juice
    That's correct. There are previous postings from others stating that they had these indicators on other vehicles such as Acuras and BMWs. Ambient cooling can cause ice in certain conditions when the temperature is actually above 32 degrees.
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    All right! Thanks for the explanation and makes sense.

This car never ceases to amaze me.

Took 54 mile trip today both Interstate, city streets and (ugh) mall parking lots. Average when got home was 52.7 mpg. Have 2450 miles on odo.
    What kind of a dealer forces it on you? The LoJack, at least they tell you they're forcing it on you, but the paint sealer? At least put up a handwritten note on a posterboard saying that's the way they do business. Like it? Do business with us. Don't like it? Leave and head elsewhere.
  • worldviewworldview Member Posts: 1
    Toyota did real world crash testing of a Prius against a Lexus GX470 SUV in a frontal crash.

Check it out...

http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/channel/vod_300k.asx

Fast foward to: 20:40 of video
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks for steering back on track - let's keep it that way! Also, let's inject a little more holiday cheer and a little less one-upmanship.

Cheers,
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    Just saw a prius at a dealer in Dayton Ohio...they show a new sticker with a $2000 price adjustment over the MSRP!!!!!!!!!! Looks like Toyota is trying sell the cars based on supply and demand and this now this defeats the purpose of the car...reasonable price and gas savings...now unreasonable price defeats the gas saving idea.
    Just saw a Prius at a dealer in Dayton Ohio...they show a new sticker with a $2000 price adjustment over the MSRP!!!!!!!!!! Looks like Toyota is trying sell the cars based on supply and demand and this now this defeats the purpose of the car...reasonable price and gas savings...now unreasonable price defeats the gas saving idea.
    Plus I don't believe the Prius is getting the gas mileage being advertised (I've read 45 mpg on average for the 04)...I'm getting second thoughts about this car!!!!!!!
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    If anyone is buying this car solely for the purpose of saving a few bucks on gas, save your money! There are plenty of cars that get close to the average mileage the Prius is achieving. I purchased this car for the technology it has, the safety features, all the bells and whistles. I also LOVE the fact that it emits very little polution. The mid 40's gas mileage I am getting (in the winter too!!) is just icing on the cake. Smart shoppers need not pay above list price. If you're savvy and diligent you can get a Prius for list or a little less.
    I just came across a nice little product at work. We purchase Gateway tablet computers that come with a 3M Scotch-Brite dusting cloth. Works great on the touch screens for these tablets and on the multi-display. I did a quick search and they're available at drugstore.com and Office Depot. Drugstore.com was less expensive of the two.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is nothing new for Toyota dealers (and Honda dealers et. al.). Some dealers try to take advantage of a situation where there is more demand than there are cars. This has been going on for years. I remember the "ADM" = Additional Dealer Markup on window stickers going back to at least the early '80s. It is sad, but it is a free market so dealers are free to charge whatever they think the market will bear. And we buyers are free negotiate the "ADM" away or take our business elsewhere. But fortunately it appears most Toyota dealers (including those in my area) are not trying to gouge customers, but are selling the Prius at MSRP or even a little less even though they have long waiting lists. Those are the smart dealers, who realize if they treat customers right they will return for future purchases.
    This was cross-posted in Toyota Prius 2004+; I replied there.
    which dealer? I know Joseph Airport Toyota used to have a $2000 premium on the Sienna in May when my friend was shopping for a Sienna.
    the smart dealers are the ones with return business from one buyer telling 3 buyers to buy there, and so on.
    I asked a Dayton Ohio dealer to order a Prius and he said no...they have 9 orders on hold and may take up to 6 months to get a car...but he would not order a car for me...He had one car on the lot...a White Prius but wanted $2000 over MSRP!!! sticker was $26900 total for car making it about $29,000 out the door (Package #7 with 6 CD changer)...NOT EVEN TOP OF THE LINE!!!!! Can you believe it!!!!
    I've been a loyal Toyota buyer (6 Toyota's to date...currently 3 in operation)...but now thinking about buying elsewhere (and another brand) especially since the Prius on average gets 45 mpg not 55 as claimed.
  • drscientificdrscientific Member Posts: 23
    The DSPM called upon the maximum-promised third business day (yesterday). He is passing on the issue to a Toyota technician with a ten business day window for contact. Sometime, on or around Jan 7, I'll continue to report to those concerned about sudden Prius breakdown.

To recap for those who missed the earlier posting, the M5 connector in the transaxle is subject to moisture. The water forms on a cable, and gravity pulls it down into the M5's boot where it builds up until it causes a malfunction that causes sudden shutdown of the ICE (engine). Under high-speed, heavy traffic conditions, this condition is life-threatening.

My sole other complaint is the quirky gas gauge.

This is an otherwise wonderful car that I would recommend to anyone when (and if) the M5 connector is satisfactorily fixed. It climbs hills, saves gas, is relatively quiet, is comfortable (even for my 6'3" frame), and so on. My round-trip, 7,000-mile cross-country trip proved the value and the problem.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who has had this problem. The dash indicators come on and the ICE shuts down. Sufficiently long waits of a few to several hours cause the problem to vanish. Toyota's fix is to put grease in the M5 connector. I've had this done twice now and am concerned about requiring a third. I'm looking for a real permanent fix.
    I asked a Dayton Ohio dealer to order a Prius and he said no...they have 9 orders on hold and may take up to 6 months to get a car...but he would not order a car for me...He had one car on the lot...a White Prius but wanted $2000 over MSRP!!! sticker was $26900 total for car making it about $29,000 out the door (Package #7 with 6 CD changer)...NOT EVEN TOP OF THE LINE!!!!! Can you believe it!!!!
    I've been a loyal Toyota buyer (6 Toyota's to date...currently 3 in operation)...but now thinking about buying elsewhere (and another brand) especially since the Prius on average gets 45 mpg not 55 as claimed.
    ... the Prius on average gets 45 mpg not 55 as claimed.

The EPA average for the Prius is 55 mpg. However, it doesn't mean that every driver will get 55 mph, in all real-world situations. Where did the 45 mpg average come from?

But if I were you, I'd look for a new dealer. There must be lots of them within a few hours' drive from Dayton.
    My average at 4,034 miles was 46.9 MPG.

And despite driving in poor efficiency conditions (winter in Minnesota), it continues to climb.

Once the warm season starts, I should easily see MPG in the mid-50's.

JOHN
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    in densely populated areas don't rely on repeat customers or word of mouth.
  • dgecho1dgecho1 Member Posts: 49
    Briefly for the htbrid-bashers- have a merry Christams and go somewhere else if you do not like the car. Nobody is forcing you to stay.
    I had a 2002 prius which I took all over the backroads of middle TN to remore camping spots. A ll the 4-wheel drives aprk in the same paved lots I do to reach the virgin timber [3 locations] and camping I do.Prius does real well over interstate and othere roads and corners as much as you want/need to. Car is about the quietest I have driven. MPG's always in the mid to uper 50 mpg range on these trips [rated 45 epa] even accounting 2 mpg diff in display/actual. Car drives great in snow and ice in nashville last year [8" snow plus ice once]. I-24 6% grade no problems to pass any truck and no loss of power. Room for 3 people, luggage for one week and full camping gear for a 1300 mile trip- 54 mpg average. People who say this car is marginal have never tried it. I have only sat in a 2004 prius and already know it is a big leap from the 2002. Bigger, more power, better seats, more room same price- what is the downside?
    We are not bashing other cars in this forum- please be silent if you have nothing good to say!
    Sincerely and CHEERS to john for all of his neat pioneering work with his website,
    Don Gillespie
    I personally test drove the 04 Prius and enjoyed the ride. Very smooth and quite with LOTS of room in the back. My major complaint is the dealer raising the price excessively. I believe everyone would agree that approx $29,000 out the door for a 04 Prius (Option #7 with added 6CD changer plus $2000 ADM) is excessive. Again this vehicle WAS NOT equipped with GPS map nor the bluetooth phone technology! Edmunds pricing now shows $23,000 for car with option #7...making the price about $25,000 out the door. I understand the law of supply and demand... but in this case it’s missing MOST of the BANG for the BUCK!
    You won't have this problem then!
    I would be willing to wait 6 months but the dealer would not place an order...I will check with another dealer to see if problem is local with this dealer. However, need to get a vehicle within 6 months...so if it’s a true availability problem then I will be driving something else.
    That is an interesting theory that dealers in densely populated areas don't rely on repeat customers or word-of-mouth. It flies in the face of a key principle of sales and marketing that repeat customers are the easiest to sell to. It also does not explain the efforts many dealers in my (densely-populated) area go to to get repeat business and to attract customers by word of mouth. For example, one large chain of dealers in my area gives a free "bonus" package with every car purchase that, among other things, gives repeat customers a $500 bonus when they trade in their car on another new car. Then there's the referral programs that encourage customers to spread the word about the dealership by offering a bonus such as a cash award for each referral. Maybe dealers in some cities don't care about referrals or repeat customers, but here in the Twin Cities it appears they do.
    which dealer are you going to? I know Joseph Airport Toyota is prone to over-charging on new models- they wanted to charge my friend $2000 over MSRP for a Sienna XLE a few months back.
    in my area love repeat customers- as they're easier to deal with and you won't have to explain the whole dealer system to them. Saturn gives people $20 if they refer someone to their sales person in my area. No limit as to how many referrals you give, and if each closes on a new Saturn within 2 months of you buying your own Saturn, you get $20 per person.
    there are a lot of other Toyota dealers in the area- head there. Voss Toyota is friendly, but didn't have my friend's Sienna when he needed it so his business went to a Columbus dealer.