Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not always. One review said the HIDs from the Audi TT were among the worst lights tested. Meanwhile, an econobox, I forget now but I think it was a Corolla, had the best lighting overall with plain halogens.

It's fair to say they'd *tend* to be better, but that's not always the case.

-juice
  • sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    Was wondering if anyone has run 04 Prius in cold weather.It's been - 20 to 30 below celsius here the last few weeks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > Are the Prius HIDs auto leveling?

Yes. In fact, a few months back someone posted a video (on another forum) showing the startup process for the HID. You could see it physically moving to adjust.

JOHN
    It was -20C here (Minnesota) yesterday. That proved to be no big deal. None of the local owners reported any trouble starting up or getting heat. So for overnight in the extreme cold, the 2004 fares quite well.

Out east, they may have had the opportunity to test several days of exposure in a row. I haven't heard anything though.

The classic model hasn't had any trouble. Warmup takes longer than normal. But that's true of most vehicles.

JOHN
    thanks for info I'm doing research for my father he has a 01 prius and at -25 c. the battery that runs the computer dies was wondering if anyone has same problem with 04
    > a 01 prius and at -25c

I have a friend in Europe that has an 01 Prius which is exposed to -40c for several days at a time every winter. He removes that 12v auxillury-battery and brings it in the house with him.

That's cheating. But with an extreme like that, it's worth the guarantee of an effortless start afterward. And the small size of the battery itself does make the removal fairly easy.

The 2004 auxillury-battery doesn't appear to be as easy to remove, but then again it is bigger. So there may be no need to ever do that, even in extreme cold.

Look at it this way, all the 12v has to do is feed the computer. In a traditional vehicle, it has to power the starter. A computer takes far less electricity. So the hybrid should have less of an effort starting anyway. (Prius spins the engine for startup using the 201.6v battery-pack. So that aspect is completely a non-issue. That's gross overkill for cranking power.)

JOHN
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Definitely get the mats! The carpet colors are pretty light, and it's a lot easier washing off a mat than cleaning the carpets.

As for extended warranty, the standard warranties and Toyota's reputation for quality are enough for me, but if you like the peace of mind it gives you, go for it.

The Prius had better come with 2 key fobs, since they are needed to start the car!
  • jnfrjnfr Member Posts: 5
    Hello, everyone! New forum member here. My husband and I bought our Prius 2004 last year, taking possession just after Christmas. What a wonderful gift it has been!

We live in Colorado, in the NW suburbs of Denver. Before we bought the Prius our only car was actually a truck, a '91 Toyota PU, V6 4WD. While most of our driving is very much short run, stop-and-go driving - back and forth to the grocery or the Park-and-Ride - we also have taken many long road trips, done camping and a bit of off-road, and have driven it all over the western US and up into Canada. The truck is perfect in the occasional deep snow blizzards we get here, hauls a ton of mulch for my garden, and while not good on gas mileage, it was at least acceptable at roughly 20-21 MPG (this has dwindled a bit as it aged).

So, we really love our truck, but it's approaching 150,000 miles, and when we decided we needed a second car we were primarily thinking of a Subaru Outback, which has the AWD, carries a ton of stuff, and is affordable, reliable, and extremely common in this area.

We're not familiar with luxury cars, or power cars, as many of you seem to be. But we are very environmentally aware, since we both have allergies and asthma that kick in hard when the air gets bad. And so when we got serious about a new car last summer we started looking at the Prius.

I'm not entirely sure when or why we decide the Prius was the car we most wanted. We were very much intrigued by the environmental aspects of course - not just the MPG that you all discuss a lot, but the overall low emissions. And having had a Toyota truck, we were convinced that it would be a quality product. Besides all that I think we were swayed by our general love of technology and computers, since we're both sort of geeky. So we read a lot of stuff, and slowly our interest turned to the Prius rather than the Outback.

By the time we started to settle on a Prius, it was late summer and the 2003s were long gone. We worked with a broker affiliated with our credit union (and had a wonderful experience there, but I don't think this is thread for that). We started reading all the incredible press the Prius has gotten in the last half of '03, and began to worry that we wouldn't be able to get our hands on one, now that we'd settled on it.

We did know that we wanted the Driftwood Pearl, and the #7 (AM) pack, since that had all the safety features plus neat things like the Smart Entry. So we had our broker put in a special order, and hoped it would arrive before the end of '04 (we ordered in November, so the timing was definitely tight). We got a call or two about other colors and features that showed up while we were waiting, but decided that even if it meant a lower tax break, we really wanted out first new car to be exactly what we wanted.

Here in Colorado, by the way, there is a tax credit of almost $3000 for buying a hybrid (Colorado has some serious pollution issues and has been aggressive about dealing with them). That's an actual tax credit, and on top of the federal tax reduction. So while the nearly $25k price was pretty high for us, the tax considerations made a big difference. And our broker and the dealer (Elway, for those in the area) came through perfectly, delivering exactly what we wanted in just over six weeks.

I know this will sound insane, but we bought the car entirely on instinct, never having seen this model of Prius, much less ever driven one. And it was love at first sight.

The seats are completely comfortable, the interior size and hauling capacity are more than I ever imagined, the car itself has a faster, more responsive engine than I expected, and takes hills, traffic, and at least light snow very well. It easily holds our normal shopping, even when we go to Costco and load up, and we can carry our friends around with no trouble at all.

Between here and the Park and Ride, our most common drive, there are six stop lights in less than three miles. And every time we pull up to the light and the entire car shudders and goes silent, I smile. All those people around us are belching out fumes but we're in this little bubble of quiet and clean air, and it's a great feeling.

I mention that because our gas mileage is nothing like what some of you report. We're still in our first tank, and averaging under 34 MPG. From reading here, I think that's because: 1) it's really been cold this time of year; 2) the car is way new (we hit 200 miles today); 3) we're not very good at driving for best mileage yet; and 4) we're doing the worst sort of in-city, short run driving. We rarely drive for more than 5 or ten minutes at a time.

Anyway, that's my Prius experience so far. We're very happy with the purchase, and if, as I expect, the car is as sound and reliable as other Toyota vehicles, I hope to remain happy with it for years to come.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Great State of Nebraska has decided that all Prius owners must pay a $75.00 annual fee for driving an "alternative fuel" vehicle. If you want the gory details, click on the top link at:

http://www.revenue.state.ne.us/fuels/mfruling.htm

Next I suppose they will charge motorcycles $100 and bikes $150!
    We've settled on a date, time, and location now.

Saturday, January 31 at 3:00 PM

This time we'll be in the northwest corner of the Twin Cities, at the STARBUCKS in Maple Grove.

If you have a hybrid, are waiting for the delivery of one, or are just curious, stop by.

Like usual, it is just a casual get together to ask questions and swap stories. We will probably take a few photos of the cars too. That particular location is great. There is a ton of parking space, making a "line up" photo very easy. And of course, the inside of the coffee shop (where it's warm) is quite large, offering easy seating for all that show up.

Just take the first exit on 94 North. Turn right on Weaver Lake Road. Then turn right on Elm Creek Boulevard. You'll see the Starbuck's at the end of a small strip-mall. Behind it is a large Barnes & Noble, with a Kohl's and Cub Foods off to the north side. In other words, it's pretty easy to find.

Hope to see you there.

JOHN
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Simply outrageous. Right now I can't figure out from memory where Nebraska is located. Isn't it one of those farming state that may never heard or experience smog? When most states are encouraging greener and more fuel efficient cars, there's always that one state that will actually encourage gas guzzling polluting vehicles. Should I decide to go cross country with my Prius, I'll definitely bypass the state. I might get taxed for using my Prius on their highways.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Factory installed HID systems are required to have auto-leveling.

There are many type/styles of aftermarket HID headlamp systems.

And then there is the RIP-OFF kind.

There are folks out there in the market selling HID kits that actually use incandescent bulbs. Not HID look-a-like, those are out there too, in abundance.

Absent a modification of the base/socket, I know of no HID bulb being manufactured that will fit in place of an incandescent bulb.

Buyer beware!
  • bbridgewaterbbridgewater Member Posts: 9
    I got a call from Ray at the Plano Texas dealership late last night - there is a black BC (8) '04 in that's apparently available. Although I've been doing my share of whining about waiting on my Prius, I don't want to pay the "at least $4,000 over MSRP" that this dealer admitted to charging for this car. He was honest enough to tell me that before I decided to make the drive down to TX.

Ray is sure it will be gone quick, but if anyone else waiting wants to check out this car, call Ray at 972-814-7861.
    thank's John our cold weather fix was a battery blanket easier than removeing it just plug it in with block heater. Have delivery date of late March for 04 prius.
  • scottgbscottgb Member Posts: 23
    I just drove my first Prius. Very impressive car, didn't have a lot of options, I think it just had package 1. The salesman said that if I were to order one today, it would probably take 7 months to get it! I'm in Green Bay, is that really the typical waiting time these days?
    > our cold weather fix was a battery blanket

Makes me wonder of heat-tape would work too. Hmm? I hadn't ever thought of simply wrapping some around the battery and plugging it in.

JOHN
  • texassalsa04texassalsa04 Member Posts: 34
    That's funny and outrageous at the same time. I live in Plano (suburb of Dallas) and the first Toyota dealer I stopped at to order my Prius last Sept. was Toyota of Plano. Plano is a very nice city of 250,000 and I was sadden to find that Toyota of Plano is such a bad dealer. I figure since I live in town I wanted to support the merchants in town. To my disappointment, this dealer is one of the worst Toyota dealer I have ever set foot in. Their sales staff were pushy and their managers were arrogant. After about an hour talking to them about ordering a Prius, I was fed up and walked out. I then drove down to another Toyota dealer in another Dallas suburb and wow, what a difference. I am now a proud owner of exactly the car I ordered without any overpriced ad-ons. I was surprised at how accomodating my second choice dealer was; even the delivery process was great.

I can tell you that I will never buy a car from the Plano dealer. I may, if in a pinch, can not find a part for my Prius elsewhere, I may call on their parts dept. A friend of mine told me recently that on two different occasions, he had seen customers with picket signs protesting in front of the Plano dealer on their bad service. IMO any amount, however popular a vehicle is, over MSRP is outrageous. I know there are people out there who are desperate enough to buy over MSRP but not this family. Now, I believe that dealers should get a fair profit for their business but $4k over MSRP? In this day an age where car manufacturers are handing out low interest rates and incenstives left and right, paying over MSRP is rediculous. Capitalism at it's finest. Sorry for the rant...getting of my soapbox now...Tony.
  • prius2004prius2004 Member Posts: 6
    There is a long waiting list, not sure what package you are interested in. But someone on another board said there is a dealer in Rhinelander Wi. that is expecting one in the next week or two that is not sold. I beleive they said it was a #7 AM package. Can't remember the color. I'm sure their is only one Toyota dealer in Rhinelander. I ended up buying my Black BC #9 from a dealer a little over 200 miles from me. He had it coming in and no takers. I wrote e-mails to every dealer in KS, MO, IA, NE, OK looking for one. Found several lesser packages but finally a BC came available. I had been waiting since Sept 17th from my dealer and kept on being told when we here something we will let you know. Check around you you'll probably come up with one a lot sooner.

Dean
    Kansas City, MO
    Formerly from Milwaukee, Wi.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Backy- Sorry to hear about Nebraska's of hybrid car fees. It sounds like they won't get as much gasoline tax revenue from hybrid owners and are "taxing" you in abstentia. Here in sunny California (I'm in the SF Bay Area, CoCo County), they charge for things such as annual vehicle registration (bi-annual smog testing $50-100 ea), $15 every four years to renew driver's license. CRV (Calif redemption value) a deposit on alum cans, glass and plastic bottles. The San Francisco Bay Area is also hit with an extra 1/4% sales tax (rest of state is 8%) for our rapid transit system. Crossing bridges is averaging $2 per trip, opp side is free. It seems they are not to be denied. You would think a state like Neb (as previously noted) is not a smog capital.
    My condolences to the fine people living in Neb.
    Thanks for the info, I think I'll give the dealer in Rhinelander a call on Monday.
  • m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    Has anyone looked at replacement tires beyond the Goodyears now that come with the 04 models? I would like to know what folks have experienced since tire selection can effect MPG performance.

Thanks,

Mike
    What are the oil change requirements for the Prius??? Can they be done by yourself or must you take the vehicle in to get oil changed???
    ...I assume if the engine runs only 50% of the time that oil breakdown is delayed and thus if one uses Mobile 1 synthetic oil one could extent the life of the oil as well as its replacement (10,000mile intervals)?????

Are there any other fluids that must be replaced on the electric side??? or the mechanical gear box side that we need to be awear of????

Thanks,

Mike
  • duh123duh123 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Green Bay as well.

I put my "order" in at the Green Bay dealer back on December 22, and at that time they estimated May/June for delivery. So it looks like the wait has increased a bit more here. I'm using the wait time to save up so I won't need to take out any financing when the time finally comes to pick it up.

Good luck on your search.
    I would be willing to bet that any OEM HID system has self-leveling and that if manual adjustment is available the limit will still be at the same "high" point as OEM.
    I phoned Michelin's Tech Dept and asked if there were any Michelin tires that would be compatible with the 04 Prius's extra load rated tire requirement...they stated there was nothing planned for now but there may be in the future...The only tire that would be recommended is the OEM tire or Goodyear Integrity. Hopefully the other tire manufacturers will take notice and get the tire rolling for the Prius.

Mike
    > 04 Prius's extra load rated tire requirement

There is no XL requirement for the 2004. There are just plain old STANDARD tires.

The confusion is due to the classic having smaller tires, hence less to hold up the weight. But size the tires on the 2004 are bigger, so that is totally completely a non-issue.

Too bad Michelin doesn't know that.

JOHN
    > What are the oil change requirements for the Prius???

Every 5,000 miles for the 2004.

> I assume if the engine runs only 50% of the time that
    > oil breakdown is delayed and thus if one uses Mobile 1
    > synthetic oil one could extent the life of the oil as
    > well as its replacement (10,000mile intervals)?????

The oil does last much longer. That's because the engine isn't used as much, it never revs as higher as a traditional engine, and it runs cooler than a traditional engine. BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO CHANGE EVERY 5,000 MILES.

The benefit of synthetic is better protection and a minor increase in efficiency.

JOHN
    John,

Do you know if the engine drain plug is readily accessible from under the car?...most Toyota's are just behind the front bumper so that oil changes are very easy and a DO-IT-YOURSELF excerise. Also is the oil filter easy to get at?? I like to DO-IT-MYSELF every now and then.

Beside the Air and Oil Filters, are there any other filters which require replacement on the electric side of the engine???

Mike
  • mazamamazama Member Posts: 5
    Don't own a 2004 Prius, but spent some quality time under the hood of one at our local auto show. As a longtime DIY type for auto maintenance, I was curious about the Prius in this respect. I expected a maintenance nightmare but Toyota actually did a pretty good job of providing access to routine wear items. If I remember, all the fluid reservoirs were nicely accessible along the firewall. The oil filter is small and a bit of a reach down, but I was able to wrap my hand around it from above- don't remember exactly how I did it, but there was enough of a "hole" behind the belt cover near the passenger's side that I was able to get to it. It's almost vertical, which is nice- that limits oil spillage when you pull it out, and you can pre-fill the new one to limit the oil pressure buildup time when the engine starts again with new oil. The car sits too low so I wasn't able to find out where the drain plug is, but hopefully Toyota thought that out too. One thing, for DIY maintenance on this car, you will need a set of wheel ramps that are designed for low clearance cars. These are readily available at car parts stores. Hopefully there's also drain plug for the CVT, otherwise you have to pull the whole trans. pan just to drain the transmission, which is dumb.

Hoping to test drive a Prius soon, going to check if one of the local dealerships (by chance) has a demo available for day rental.
    > If the Prius is a purist "green" car that saves the environment
    > and saves gas then why would they have a rigid 5,000 oil
    > change interval?

Remember, the "G" in MPG is gallons and the "M" is miles.

Saving a few quarts every few thousand miles is a bit extreme. And since many are switching to synthetic for the efficiency benefit, less oil is being used in 2 respects anyway.

JOHN
    > Do you know if the engine drain plug is readily accessible
    > from under the car?

That's an understatement!

Since the engine is offset and the hood is short, it makes Prius one of the easiest cars to change the oil... ever! The oil pan is right there. It's amazingly easy to reach.

> Also is the oil filter easy to get at?

Yup, it's right there in front of the oil pan, vertical mounted for minimal dripping.

> are there any other filters which require replacement
    > on the electric side of the engine???

The electric motor is a Brushless-AC. That means absolutely no maintenance ever. (Sweet!)

The Inverter coolant needs changing every 30,000 miles. The process is supposedly just a few steps more than what you'd do for antifreeze flushing, but I've never tried it.

There's a lubricant in the Planetary-CVT that needs changing at 100,000 miles, then every 50,000 miles following that. Based on the design, it looks as though there is no filter (remember, it is always engaged) or gasket to deal with, just a drain. So the process would be easier than with an automatic transmission. That's just speculation though.

Nothing else is needed.

JOHN
    Thanks for the feedback on the wait time for a Prius. Haven't decided whether I'm going to order one yet or not, 7 months is a long time!
    I guess every day I wait, the waiting list is probably getting even longer ;>)
    Thanks for your explanation on the Oil Change and filter location...Toyota usally makes things easy if you need to DIY every now and then.

Also after the car is out of warranty one could use Mobil 1 and extend to 10,000 miles between oil changes...It's too bad Toyota does'nt allow an official extension of the oil change interval if motor runs approximately 50% of time and cooler...this should mean the oil breakdown is reduced and thus time between change-out should double...

this would definitely be a Great GREEN selling point and may even be an oversight because we tend to do things just like we always have...of course the Prius is the exception to this rule and someone should ask the engineers this question...of course the maintenance folks would not like to hear this.

Mike
    Actually, the oil change interval for the classic model is 7,500 miles. But that system had a lower RPM limit and it wasn't at the limit as much as the 2004 is. I definitely noticed the lack of aging (still light colored and pretty thin) when draining the synthetic from my classic.

5,000 miles is reasonable, especially when many still use 3,000 miles intervals for traditional vehicles.

JOHN
  • mazamamazama Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, John, for filling in on the fluids maintenance. I'm encouraged the oil changes are so easy, and have to admit I like the idea of extended oil changes when possible. I'm a member of a VW TDI diesel board, and most owners run 10K mile change intervals. A number have run oil analyses that have shown the oil well within its design parameters (which I won't go into here) after 10K miles, sometimes 15K or more (note these are synthetic oils specifically rated for the VW TDI). These turbocharged diesel engines would seem (I'm speculating here I admit) to be harder on the oil than the Prius, with soot loading to take into account. One would think a good synth oil in the Prius should be able to hold up at least that well. I'd be interested in seeing some oil analyses from Prius owners to see what shape the oil is at 5K. (Maybe I need to buy one myself to find out!)
    Thanks John for the details on fluid changes in the Prius...Inverter Coolant every 30,000 and Planetary CVT lubes 100,000 (then 50,000 thereafter)...I assume then we have only one additional process compared to IC autos...that is the Inverter coolant...the CVT would be similar to Auto Transmission R&R. Great the Brushless AC needs no maintenance!!!!!!!

Mike
    Don't forget, the engine oil can be recycled.

-juice
    RECYCLE your used engine oil, it NEVER wears out, just gets contaminated.
    I swear there's an echo in here. :-)

-juice
    Perhaps it is a glitch in the matrix.

JOHN
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 29
    John: Checked my integrity tires and sure enuf "standard Load" is imprinted on the tires.

Are you saying that any P185/16 R15 tire will work on the Prius? If so, I will put on a setof Michelin's when the integritys wear out.
    > Are you saying that any P185/16 R15 tire will work on the Prius?

Yup!

1,102 pounds was the load requirement for the classic. XL tires provided that at 35 PSI. At 35 PSI with STANDARD tires, you'd only get 1,019 pound, but they could easily handle a greater load by simply increasing the tire pressure.

STANDARD tires for the 2004 model, provide 1,156 pounds at 35 PSI. The switch to a larger tire size eliminated the need for XL. Without even using a higher PSI, you already have more than enough of support. So, any STANDARD tire will do on a 2004.

JOHN
    John,

Have the Toyota rep publish this information for the Tire Rack folks...these tire people need to be aware of these changes formely to avoid confusion.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • billrobbins1billrobbins1 Member Posts: 1
    How about a Madison, WI Prius gathering Sunday 3/7/04 2pm at Red Robin Restaurant, 6522 Monona Drive at the Beltline intersection. Just an informal get-together to talk Prius and share our enthusiasm for this great car.

I hope to see you there!

-Bill
    > Safely selling tires, means not exceeding the manufacturer's
    > maximum load recommendations.

Anyone that has dealt with aftermarket parts clearly understands that automakers choose the path of least liability. And quite frankly, trusting a consumer to keep their promise that they will maintain proper PSI is a huge gamble. Having that buffer makes the lawyers very happy.

For those of us that do diligently maintain, it's no big deal. Risk is adverted by routine verifying.

And in the case of tires, the evidence is overwhelming. Tread wear is even across the entire width of the tire, proving the harder ride is not compromising load carrying abilities.

Also note that the tire itself is rated for the higher PSI, so that criteria is never exceeded.

JOHN
  • jtrew77jtrew77 Member Posts: 6
    I did the same thing that Dean did...I contacted EVERY SINGLE DEALERSHIP in North Carolina (since they are the closest state to me that carries package #8)! Many dealers said that they wanted $500 down from me in order to get on their list. I told them that "I've been there and done that" with my dealership here in VA and was disappointed when they informed me three months later that package 8's don't even deliver to to the mid-atlantic region. So, basically I said I'd like to be on their list...but I will not pay $500. Of all the dealerships, only two wouldn't put me on their "list." That evening, a dealership called with the exact color and package that we wanted...IN STOCK! It was pending on whether another couple was going to take it or leave it. Well, they decided not to take it and now we're finally driving our Prius. We picked it up Jan. 9 and have enjoyed every bit of it!! I recommend trying to contact more than one dealer. The whole deposit thing is just to try to keep you with one dealer...but wouldn't it be more efficient if you told every dealer that you are interested...therefore, there's more of a chance of getting one when other customers turn them down. Try it...it's worth a shot. The dealer that helped us out was Leith Toyota in Raleigh, North Carolina. They actually had another Prius (black) on the lot when we picked up ours.

Happy hunting!

Jennifer
    Does anyone know if you don't order the Bluetooth technology in the Prius now (package #7)...can you upgrade to the technology later (packages 8 or 9)...Seems like this would be a plug and play module that goes in the dash????????
  • snnguyensnnguyen Member Posts: 3
    how much do you pay for extended warranty at the Toyota dealer ? What is best deal for extended warranty and what do they cover ?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you used Edmunds.com to research a vehicle you bought from a
    Denver-area dealership and would like to talk about your experience on
    camera Saturday, January 31, 2004, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com
    with your daytime contact information and the name of the dealership.
    Responses must be in by Friday, January 30, 2004 for consideration.
  • prius2004prius2004 Member Posts: 6
    Glad to here it Jennifer. It takes a little work but it will pay off. If at first you don't succeed try and try again. The dealers will know you want one NOW. They do get their un-alloted cars in that no one will want. I hope you are enjoying yours as much I am mine. Installing XMradio this weekend in my BC. It such a nice car. I do wish the temperature would go up. Only averaging about 39 mpg now, but I do cruise at 75 mph to work and back nearly all the way. Good luck to others here. Send out your e-mail every couple of weeks to all the dealers. Get that un-allocated one.

Dean
    Smithville, MO