Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Last week, my brother setup an appointment to get his back window replaced.

Total Cost= $9,600

Had he worked a regular schedule, it would have never happened... As he was pulling out of the parking spot at work, next to a large truck, a person cutting through the parking lot at high-speed to avoid having to wait for the near by stoplight rammed into him. It totalled the car.

Funny part is, he had the tow-truck bring the car to the dealer, where he had the appointment. So when the mechanic came out to do the back window work, he had one heck of a big surprise... the front-end of the car was destroyed! Needless to say, he used that appointment to get a damage estimate instead.

The point is, it could have been much worse.

Glad your Prius is now ok.

JOHN
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    The Matrix is cheaper than the Vibe, and has a better warranty.
  • mnemkomnemko Member Posts: 6
    I ordered a Silver BC package on Oct. 22. Still waiting with no word as to when it will be delivered.

Meanwhile, I read the posts which are making me wonder if it's worth the wait:
    -- People seem to be filling up around 7 gallons and averaging about 40 mpg. That equals a crummy cruising range of 280. Who likes having to stop at a gas station so often?

-- The car, already 5 grand more than a great ICE car ike the Corolla, seems to require replacing the tires--An additional $400 plus a trip to the shop.

-- Reports of warning lights coming on, sometimes siginifying a serious problem, other times signifying nothing.

-- Reports of the poorly sealed M5 in the differential, causing the car--occasionally--to lose power.

I am aware that most people posting on this forum are happy with their Prii, but taking the above in concert, I'm wondering if I shouldn't cancel the order and go for a Corolla or Matrix.

What are your takes on the subject?

Oh, and speaking of the tires, visiting Tire Rack, it seems that Michelin Hydroedge are the highest rated tires overall. Any reason, other than cost, that I shouldn't consider those to replace the OEMs?
    > People seem to be filling up around 7 gallons and
    > averaging about 40 mpg.

Last week it was -18F degrees here. So naturally some people will report low MPG. I personally got 39.1 MPG.

But back when it was warm, it was at 50 MPG. And that's without the car even having been broken in yet.

Clearly, you are getting sent a very misleading message due to the unfortunate timing.

> Reports of the poorly sealed M5 in the differential

There are nearly 8,000 members on the Yahoo group (hence the appeal here, being much smaller). Not a single one of those owners have reported the "M5 problem". It is turning out to be just a rare fluke. Sometime that could happen, but in reality doesn't for virtually everyone. In other words, the same as any other vehicle.

> Reports of warning lights coming on, sometimes siginifying
    > a serious problem

Without any facts, that is nothing but a rumor. Can you be more specific? I certainly don't know to what you are referring.

There is a known "warning light" scenario for new owners. But that is simply excess sealant burning off in the exhaust system, exactly the opposite of serious: a non-issue. It finishes the burn and is gone forever.

JOHN
  • ramesh_iyerramesh_iyer Member Posts: 1
    Well folks, my wife is having second thoughts after realizing that the HP quoted for the Prius is much less than her Nissan Altima (which we are trying to replace with the Prius) and the Camry 2004 (which is our second choice if the Prius does not show up soon!).

I do see her concern because of the (sometimes) impatient drivers on freeways when smaller vehicles (like the Prius) are attempting to merge. I'd appreciate comments from new Prius owners on your experience.

I test drove it and it looked ok. However, this was a weekend, traffic was light, no big SUV's trying to run me down, no kids in the back, and sans any grocery in the trunk!

Thanks,

Ramesh
  • kornklankornklan Member Posts: 29
    It would be nice if Toyota would add vertical adjustment to the drivers seat. The cost would be minimal since they could use the same mechanism they use in the Corolla. Also why not include daytime running lights. They are included on almost all of their other models.
    > I do see her concern because of the (sometimes) impatient
    > drivers on freeways when smaller vehicles (like the Prius)
    > are attempting to merge.

First, note that some of the fastest vehicles on the road are "small cars". So size really is meaningless. Actually, so is HP doesn't mean a whole lot either. It's torque that you really desire. And Prius has loads of it.

Second, take a test-drive. Ignore what your ears and butt tell you. Just watch the speedometer. You'll be shocked at how much faster the 2004 Prius is than the HP leads you to believe.

Lastly, keep in mind that automatic transmissions take a performance hit when shifting from gear to gear. Since Prius doesn't have any gears at all, just a permanently engaged power-split device, it doesn't have that limitation. The acceleration curve is remarkably consistent.

JOHN
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I had performance cars prior to my Prius ownership and I don't miss them at all. I've had a WRX, a Mercedes C320 sport, and Audi allroad. The Prius has NEVER let me down attempting to merge in Long Island traffic. It has more than enough mid range punch to allow passing if needed. It accelerates quite nice from a stop light too. I have a bit over 4,000 trouble free miles. Great car!
  • m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    Yes,

For the price I would say that Toyota should include most of the options as standard (seat adjustment, fog lights and DR Lights...).
  • slp1012slp1012 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered package #7 coral red at beginning of November from Wappinger Falls Toyota, and was led to believe by an inexperienced salesman that the end of the year was a "good possibility". That didn't materialize. Allocations were supposedly 3-4 a month, and then I was 9th at the end of December, according to this salesman. Last week, speaking directly to the sales director, he informed me that he had sent a copy of his list of pre-orders for the rest of the year to Toyota, and that I should expect to receive a letter from them,informing me when my car would ship out. Seems like the dealer's trying to avoid the brunt of inquiries instead of advocating for us. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Needless to say, I have begun calling other dealerships in the Tristate area.
    > For the price I would say that Toyota should include
    > most of the options as standard

Lots of goodies come standard already. See:

• CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
    • Automatic Climate-Control with Electric A/C
    • Anti-Lock Brakes
    • Traction-Control
    • Cruise-Control
    • Power & Heated mirrors
    • Power windows
    • Power door locks
    • AM/FM/CD with 6 speakers
    • Keyless-Entry remotes
    • Cast Aluminum Alloy rims
    • Tilt steering with audio/climate controls
    • 60/40 Split-folding rear seat
    • Multi-Display with trip computer
    • Rear Defroster
    • LED Brake Lights

That's quite a bit for a $19,995 base price for midsize car that offers very low emissions and fantastic efficiency.

JOHN
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    the 2005 model will be coming out. It may have DRL and drive seat height adjustments.
    Yes,

For the price I would say that Toyota should include most of the options as standard (seat adjustment, fog lights and DR Lights...).
  • bibbysizebibbysize Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know Prius' time for 0-60???
    I currently have a 00 Celica and trying to compare acceleration w/Prius. I have a 60 mile round trip commute each day, and considering the Prius for my next car.
    > Does anyone know Prius' time for 0-60???

With my tires pumped up to the maximum (for improved handling, better MPG, and longer tire life), I can accelerate from a dead stop to 60 MPH in just under 10 seconds.

In other words, it's faster than necessary. I haven't ever needed to accelerate that quickly.

JOHN
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Motor Trend equalled John's time, getting 9.8 seconds. C/D managed only 11.3 (slackers!). I saw another review with 10.4 seconds.

Ask yourself: how many times a day do you need to accelerate at full throttle from 0-60? For me, the average is a number far less than 1.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    Has anyone had success transferring their phonebook to their Prius? I and several others need instructions.
    I've noticed about a 15-20% reduction in MPG with my conventional ICE machine (ECHO 40 MPG to 32 MPG).

I assume a Prius that is using its electric motor about 50% of the time and ICE 50% would have less of a reduction in MPG say only 10%...do you have enough MPG numbers to give a % reduction in MPG at this time for the 04 Prius???

Thanks, Mike
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    bibbysize,

I have a Celica 2000 GT auto. I test drove 2004 Prius twice already. Prius felt a little weaker but you won't be dissapointed. Prius had plenty of power and didn't feel weak like a Honda civic.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi everyone.
      Well, I did it. I am now the proud owner of an '04 Prius Pkg 9. I was sure that a new Camry was my likely choice as the Corolla was a bit small and the Prius has a 4 month waiting list. So I strolled into a nearby dealership to look at Camrys. I spotted a Prius waiting to be picked up (Silver Pkg 7). A salesman asked if I was interested in a Prius. He said a customer cancelled an order due in next week and if I was seriously interested he would ask if he could sell it to me. I told him yes knowing how much of an opportunity this is. He called me 5 hrs later and said it just came off the truck and had to picked up today.
      It is a Driftwood Pearl, Pkg 9. The factory snuck in glass breakage sensor, mats, cargo net and applique for an additional $448, for an MSRP of $26,202. Closed the deal at sundown so I'll pick up the car today. I'm really excited about getting this car!! I would like to ask you guys/girls a big favor. If you can share your advice on how to break in the car or other owner's tips I would greatly appreciate it. I want to do everything right and get the most from this car.
      I'm going from an '84 Corvette to a Prius, so I'm sure I'll have a few adjustments to make.
      I passed on the extended warranties (surprisingly offered at a generous discount this weekend only) and the premium care plan. What do you guys think of ext warranties/premium care? I plan to study the owner's manual thoroughly when I get it. Wish me luck!
    Thank you in advance

Rich
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Rich...
    Welcome. I have found this board to be the most informative of any that I have subscribed to. In fact, I bought my Prius largely because of information I have gotten here (metallic blue with package #9.

My only irritation with Toyota about this car is their "glitzy" way of naming the colors. Why not just metallic blue, metallic green, black, white, etc. ?

Sorry got off the subject I am posting...which is this suggestion for you. Go to this site: http://john1701a.com/ and download the Toyota Prius User-Guide. I found it extremely helpful as all the information in it has been provided by Prius owners.

The site as a whole is quite interesting. John1701 keeps it updated and I go into on a regular basis. John is also a regular contributor to this thread and an example of the type of people we have here. Information about the Prius and answer questions...no fussing and fighting (thanks to Sylvia). :)

I really enjoy my Prius and know that you will too.

Stan
    My only irritation with Toyota about this car is their "glitzy" way of naming the colors. Why not just metallic blue, metallic green, black, white, etc. ?

Because if car companies called paint colors "white", "black", "red" etc. the marketing people who think up those exotic names like "Tideland Pearl" wouldn't be earning their salaries! I guess it's also recognition that people often buy cars for emotional reasons. Besides, I kind of like the fact that my low-buck Elantra is "Champagne" instead of "tan". :-)
    azstan- Thanks. I've been reading and asking questions on this TH for a couple of months now. It's been difficult to choose between Camry, Corolla and Prius. I'll check out John's site because he knows what he's talking about and has answered a few of my queries in the past. Looking forward to learning more.

Rich
  • gscheilgscheil Member Posts: 2
    I have always used Auto A/C. How does this reduce mpg?
    It reduces mpg by running the A/C compressor more than it needs to. The more the compressor runs, the more the ICE has to run to recharge the battery. During most of the year where I live, I can get by just fine without A/C. There's maybe a total of 3-4 weeks when it's too warm to get by just on fresh air. Then of course there's the cool, damp days where the A/C is useful for defogging. But maybe the A/C will need to run more on the Prius than on my other cars because it also functions to cool down the battery--I have read that it will kick in by itself in that case, even if I have switched it off.
  • dicksieleedicksielee Member Posts: 2
    At the beginning of February I ordered a new Prius and gave the dealership a fully-refundable deposit. A few days later, I called to check to see if the factory accepted the order. My salesman told me they had, and he would notify me as soon as he received a production date. Can the factory arbitrarily cancel my order if it decides to stop building '04s and begin production on the '05s?
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Back in 2001 when the Prius was introduced here in the U.S., Toyota was building the cars based on individual orders. These people who ordered those cars where later called the "prius pioneers". The "build as you order" system has long been stopped. Toyota builds a number of units monthly regardless of orders. Right now, domestic and overseas demands exceeds factory output and hence, long wait times for people who wanted it. Your dealer gets monthly allocations on these cars. One of the biggest Toyota dealer here in So. California (sold over 30,000 cars last year) says thay have no control on what is coming in. They give their list to Toyota and hope for the best. Once they get a list of whats coming in, that is when they look at their orders and allocate each car to certain buyers. I must be one of those lucky one since it took only 28 days to get delivery of the car I wanted. 16 days after I ordered one, the dealer offered me a car with a different color. I refused that one.

I certainly would like to know about the salesman calling you up about an specific production date. The production cycle for the 05 models would most likely start in July or August.
  • kendog5555kendog5555 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone have the dealership install leather seats? What did you pay? I was told it would cost $1695.
  • texasmom1texasmom1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Central Texas near Ft. Hood. No dealerships around me keep the cars in stock. When I went to order a new 04 Prius I was told there was an 8-12 month waiting list. So I emailed dealerships in Dallas and Ft. Worth. They told me 4-9 months wait. Now, the dealership in Dallas says if I order now, I can get an 05 by July, and he will personally deliver it to me. Hmmm. Wonder if the dealership is taking me for a ride. I have looked at the Honda Accord and Hybrid. Unfortunately I'm short (4ft. 9in) and my feet can't push in the pedals all the way in the Hybrid with the seat as far forward as it will go. I really love the Prius, but with the long waiting and the possibility that I won't get what I want since there are so many orders ahead of me, I think I'll just wait until the future until I have the time to wait. My current car is dying and I'm alone...my husband is on his way to Iraq as a government contractor. I don't want to sink more money into our two dying vehicles that need to be re-registered at the end of this summer. I'll be honest, I'm not very happy with Toyota. Honda keeps vehicles on their lots including six or seven of the hybrids at a time...but Toyota... you have to put in a factory order and there is such a long wait period and ultimately you may not get what you want. Plus Toyota says they are charging an extra $2000 on top of the MSRP for whatever package you decide to get on your Prius. That is ridiculous. This shopper is very dissatisfied and is going to Honda to get a good deal. Good luck to those of you with more patience than me!
    Unfortunately the Prius is in extremely high demand and supply is short...but the $2000 dollar price mark-up is uncalled for!!!!!! I too had a dealer in Dayton Ohio that marked the car up $2000 dollars and refuses to take orders (poor way to get more $$$)...I have ordered from another dealer...but the wait may be 6-9 months. Until Toyota increases the production of this vehicle then economics rule...but the price mark-up is unwarranted and Toyota should consider this illegal for a dealer. If you need a car now that gets good mileage and relable...go for the Corolla or Echo...both great cars around 38 MPG on highway...but Honda is also a wise choice especially the Civic or Accord.

Toyota dealers need to learn how to treat customers other wise they will loose dedicated and loyal customers...myself included.

Mike
    Hi gang,
       I've got 300 mi on my Prius now. According to the consumption graph I'm averaging 47.7 mpg! Temp is around 62 deg F (SF Bay Area). I'll know exactly when I fill up. I'm showing 4 bars left, how much farther should I go prior to refilling? How much can I expect at warmer temps? How about when the engine is broken in a little more? I has plenty of power for twisty, coastal Hwy 1 and freeway travel. MY WIFE LIKES IT!!! Thanks in advance to all.
    Rich
    > how much farther should I go prior to refilling

Here's the chart that some owners have adopted based on Multi-Display distance shown on the Consumption Screen, indicating the farthest to expect before refilling:

40 MPG = 360 miles
    41 MPG = 369 miles
    42 MPG = 378 miles
    43 MPG = 387 miles
    44 MPG = 396 miles
    45 MPG = 405 miles
    46 MPG = 414 miles
    47 MPG = 423 miles
    48 MPG = 432 miles
    49 MPG = 441 miles
    50 MPG = 450 miles
    51 MPG = 459 miles
    52 MPG = 468 miles
    53 MPG = 477 miles
    54 MPG = 486 miles
    55 MPG = 495 miles

It gives you an idea what's realistic for distance based on the 9 gallon non-emergency capacity available.

There's still gas remaining beyond that, but with the bladder inside the tank (to significantly reduce evaporative emissions) measuring the capacity is difficult.

JOHN
    Thanks John1701a - I (like others) learn alot from your experience/website. I know my engine is still breaking in and it'll only get better. Here on the West Coast we dip into the 30's at night during the winter months, but for the most part it's very temperate. I set my cruise speed at 70 on the highway and drive normally everywhere else. I'm trying not to watch the power distribution display as to when the ICE kicks in, I haven't experienced the "stealth mode" yet.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...need to go to your friendly state legislature, and/or Congress, NOT to the car manufacturers. State and federal franchise laws protect the dealers from sanctions that might otherwise be imposed over price abuses. In short, manufacturers [including Toyota] have no direct control over how their products are priced at retail in the US car business. They can go after any dealer who violates the franchise agreement, but price gouging is not something they have any control over.

Indirectly, over time, dealers who abuse their customers get lower CSI ratings, and this in turn is a lever that the car maker can use to reduce allocations [the ultimate punishment] or even pull a franchise in extreme cases. Generally, though, dealers are free in this country to do whatever they want with price...period.

This sword cuts both ways - with cars in heavy supply and weak demand, discounting is common, and no buyer has ever complained about paying UNDER MSRP for a new car. Occasionally, one model gets hot, as the Prius is now for Toyota, and the rule of the marketplace is everybody for themselves. At various times in the past 20 years, we've seen this phenomenon come and go for models as varied as the Viper, PT Cruiser, Miata, new T-Bird, certain BMWs [usually M-models], and others. In almost every case, supply eventually catches up with demand, and the discounting begins {Ford has had a hard time giving away T-Birds lately; PT Cruisers carry rebates. Both of these cars were commanding prices over MSRP for months after their initial release - in the case of the T-Bird, some of those early cars traded at $10k or more over MSRP.]

The Prius is a special case in that it is unlikely production of this specific model is going to significantly increase any time soon - Toyota is committing production and engineering resources on hybrid versions of the RX, Highlander, and eventually the Camry. If you absolutely have to have a Prius, then you have to be patient and determined, as evidenced by all of the stories that have appeared on this board.....just don't hold your breath for Toyota to go after dealers on the price issue - they are constrained by the law from interfering in most cases. Your only defense is not to buy from dealers who take advantage of these kinds of supply/demand problems...blaming Toyota [or any other car maker] is a waste of time. There simply isn't any legal basis for them to intervene.
    > The Prius is a special case in that it is unlikely
    > production of this specific model is going to significantly
    > increase any time soon - Toyota is committing production
    > and engineering resources on hybrid versions of the RX,
    > Highlander, and eventually the Camry.

How can you come to that conclusion?

A purpose (among many) of automakers is to make money. Ignoring a hot product like Prius would be self-defeating. From engineering to training is complete. All they have to do is order more parts from suppliers so they can make more. Everyone wins at this point by increasing production... even the other hybrids, since the endorsement for them takes very little effort with Prius carrying a such strong momentum.

JOHN
  • eforce1eforce1 Member Posts: 1
    I was going to opt out of the extended warranty until I heard the salesman say that there were 28 computers! I figured that if even one of them went down, I'd save. Good luck with your new car!

Elaine
  • andrewe2andrewe2 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my Prius yesterday, so far so good, really happy with it. Just learning how to use Telephone mode with my T616 bluetooth phone. Problem is in manual mode the keypad goes back and forth from disabled for a while to enabled and then back. Any ideas or where to go for help? When it works it works well.

Thanks,

Andrew
  • happydinkshappydinks Member Posts: 1
    kendog5555 - I just picked up our car today after having leather installed. Our cost was around $1100.00 - which we negotiated at the time of purchase. Our dealership actually outsources to a shop in the area all of their leather work because it can be done more cost effectively than their shop can do the work. Also, Toyota is now providing a leather kit for the Prius. I have to say that I am EXTREMELY pleased with how it all came out - the door arm rests, center column, and seats are all done - and it looks great. We have the metallic blue (2004) with the beige interior - now leather (yea)! While I loved the car to begin with - I'm now totally in love with the car. It was definitely worth the money spent for the leather.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd rather know the median age. A few 80+ year olds can throw off the curve.

I bet the median age is 50 or so. It's about 42 for Corolla, but Prius costs more and would tend to have wealthier buyers.

-juice
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Not to be argumentative, but I read a lot of the "trades", and since the recent increase in production on the Prius, Toyota has told the press they have no immediate plans to scale up any further, citing among other things the necessity to focus on their other hybrid projects. Since I am very interested in the Prius myself, I would be happy to be proved wrong on this. I think it is unrealistic, though, to believe that the current mismatch of supply and demand for this car is going to be resolved anytime soon. Clearly, Toyota has been caught by surprise regarding demand for this car in North America, a market that conventional wisdom has it is notoriously careless about both fuel consumption and emissions [we talk a good game, but half the market is in oversized vehicles that are neither efficient nor especially clean]. Having already upped production of the Prius twice since introduction, the signals they have sent the automotive press is that they intend to focus on other hybrid models in the coming months.

I may be wrong - nothing would please me more. Another point is that there is, as you know, considerable disagreement in the industry as to whether the Prius is actually making any money for Toyota, or is a massively successful marketing device to help sell all of their future hybrid models. No one outside of the corporate suite probably knows for sure, but I'm not sure it is in Toyota's best interest to make an investment to ramp up production of the Prius in the short term to meet this initial demand, and then have to scale it back again when the market focuses on other hybrid models.

I'm not looking for an argument here - my main point is that pricing in the USA is a dealer-driven issue, not a manufacturer-driven one. Toyota could indeed solve the market-pricing issue by dramatically increasing the number of cars for sale, but I just doubt that is what is going to happen.
    I disabled the Automatic A/C but then couldn't get any heat. It's freezing here. How do you get heat without the A/C?
    > How do you get heat without the A/C?

Pressing one of the speed buttons for the fan invokes the manual mode.

Then you'll get a flow of air at the specified temperature continuously.

The catch is, it won't stop when the cabin temperature reaches the specified value.

JOHN
    Last night saw the new Lexus commercial with Smart Entry. The Lexus watches you through its headlights.
    It said, "Your car knows who you are"

Maybe it also "Knows where you live?"
    Since computer technology changes rapidly...does anyone know if Prius will have software or computer upgrade capability??

In addition, the battery technolgy is NIMH...but the newer battery technology is Li-Poly? Any comments or ideas?

Mike
    > does anyone know if Prius will have software or computer
    > upgrade capability??

Yes, it can be upgraded. In fact, there is a SSC (Special Service Campaign) currently for those that got early 2004's so dealers can do exactly that.

> but the newer battery technology is Li-Poly?

Not only can you do that, you can also connect battery-packs in tandem. I know of 2 owners that have already done that. One was with just another NiMH battery-pack, another was a Lead-Acid. They now both get even more impressive city MPG.

Also, a few schools have went even further. Since the system is electric based, rather than using technology from back in the 20th, it makes a fantastic prototype platform.

JOHN
    No wonder Prius owners aren't worried about the Prius's performance!

I agree completely. I guess it proves that the older you get, the wiser you get, e.g., you know that it really doesn't matter if your car has 300 hp, can go 0-60 in under 7 seconds, and can top 140 mph.
  • veggieburgerveggieburger Member Posts: 11
    Toyota had to make a decision on the MSRP before they knew how well it would sell. I doubt their profit margin is much - so now when they know their design and product is well accepted by the market, it makes sense for them to make higher end products instead like the Lexus hybrid. They can set their MSRP higher (hence better profit) on the Lexus and Highlander(?) hybrids and use their manufaction and financial resourse there where they get a better ROI. Toyota Prius customers are going to be very angry if they try to raise prices on the Prius even if they do slight enhancements over the next couple of years, so it's essentially fixed.

But perhaps I'm going further off-topic here... sorry.
  • yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Re a recent article that mentioned considerable wandering at speed on the highway and lack of stability in crosswinds do current owners have any comments on these factors.

Thanks Yachtie
  • dc8527dc8527 Member Posts: 12
    > john1701a Feb 11, 2004 (9:31 pm)
    > does anyone know if Prius will have software or > computer upgrade capability??

> Yes, it can be upgraded. In fact, there is a
    > SSC (Special Service Campaign) currently for
    > those that got early 2004's so dealers can do
    > exactly that.

John, what is the SSC for? My 04 Prius was delivered in early December. I have not gotten any call about this SSC. If the new software could direct the electric motor to work more often in colder temperature, it might get better MPG. The electric motor seldomly works alone in colder temperature but more often when it's warmer outside as I observed from the screen.

On Jan 29 when it was -13F in Minneapolis, I simulated EPA city test by driving 11 miles with 23 stops on flat roads in 31 minutes. All the accessories were turned off so I had to wear a thick coat to keep myself warm (filled with dawn, not heavy in weight). The result was 35.8MPG. You wrote you got 39MPG when it was -18F. I figure you must be driving a longer distance with fewer stops.
    Tires that are too soft or do not have the correct bias (2 more PSI in front is needed) will cause handling problem.

Bad alignment will cause that too.

Crosswinds at the moderate level have not been an issue at all for me. The windy season (Spring) hasn't begun yet, so I'm uncertain about the extreme level. But with a car so heavily optimized for forward aero-dynamics, you could likely feel wind from the side similar to a larger volume vehicle like a minivan.

With my classic Prius, crosswinds were odd. You could feel them sliding across the vehicle surface. But it was too slippery for the wind to get a good grab. So it didn't affect driving.

JOHN