Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    is unchanged but Toyota Motor Sales has reduced the number of available packages.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Well, I've decided to wait a "car cycle" for my Hybrid. I got tired of waiting and then, with the inability to order a customized vehicle for a specific person, knew I would probably have to "settle" anyways.

I ordered a MINI Cooper on the 8th and I expect it should be here sometime towards the end of August. I like the process at MINI because once you get your production number you can follow it through production, painting, docking, loading, shipping, etc.

I really wanted a little more from a car than the Prius can offer at this moment, although I did really like it. Hopefully in a couple of years, when I'm ready to get rid of the MINI, I'll have many more Hybrid choices.
  • kalmikeykalmikey Member Posts: 17
    I have to admit to being a little mystified by people who want a custom order. I mean, I do kind-of understand it, and it's certainly your prerogative to only deal with those who can provide such specific-order services, but I don't really get it. I've always gone with pure serendipity, taking what's available (once a showroom model; once a year-old program car with more features than I needed but discounted into my price range; and once a FSBO, again more features than I needed but discounted into my range), and have never been disappointed.

I'm handling the Prius the same way. The main features I want out of a Prius are the ones that come standard on a bare bones model! The only other things I'm really holding out for are the full airbag package and a car that isn't Tideland Pearl (hate that colour). Beyond that, I'll take whatever will get one into my hands at MSRP in less than two years :-D
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Well I guess I'm just the opposite of you then. I always get want every option available and I'm not willing to compromise. The biggest thing about the Prius was the unsurety of the availability. I'm coming off of a lease so a good time frame is needed.
    Ah, now the lease/time-frame thing I can understand. I don't lease, myself (I always put more miles on a car in a given unit time than leases allow for) but certainly if there was any more timely need for a new car in my life, I would have already moved on from my Prius-envy :-)

While I'm sure there are some at Toyota that are sadistic enough to be reveling in the buzz this insane shortage is producing, I have to assume that there are others who are noting how much business Toyota *isn't* getting because of the wait-lists, and how their reputation is being mangled by dealers overcharging...
  • gs80gs80 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my Prius for about three weeks now and love it. One question on the battery meter -- mine never shows the battery being fully charged. The last bar never shows up as being blue. Is this normal or is this something I should have checked?

Thanks.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    gs80- Congrats on getting your Prius. What color/pkg did you get? I've noticed that the batt charge will occasionally show full but most of the time is shows 1 or 2 bars short. I've seen both the green and the blue colors. I think it will vary by the terrain driven and driving habits. The batt pack is designed to dip and re-charge as needed.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • eheadingeheading Member Posts: 26
    I am confused. I keep hearing references to the battery charge indicator and knowing when the battery is fully charged. Is this different from the "classic" Prius? On my "classic" Prius, I just have green bars that indicate to me how much charging has taken place since I started the car. There is nothing I've read in the manual that this tells me anything about when the battery is fully charged. Am I missing something?

Ed Headington
  • scheil2scheil2 Member Posts: 6
    I usually drive with the screen on 'Consumption" and whenever I start the car, the outside temperature is in Celsius instead of Fairenheit. Later, it will revert to the fairenheit setting of outside temperature. Is there any way to eliminate the Celsius?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to talk with people who are currently on a dealer's wait list for the Toyota Prius OR were on a wait list and opted to settle for a package or color that wasn't their first choice.

Interested in being interviewed? Email Pam at pkrebs@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday July 20 at noon EST.
    First of all, the battery charge meter on the '04 Prius is, according what I've read, somewhat misleading at both ends of the charged/discharged spectrum. I don't recall the exact numbers, nor can I find the reference right off the top of my head (too much information floating around in there right now), but I believe the battery meter deliberately covers only a range from, like, 40-80% of the battery's capacity.

The idea is that it's the extremes -- fully charged and fully discharged -- that put the greatest stress on the battery pack's chemistry. Keeping the charge capacity in the middle range makes the battery usable over a longer period of time and reduces the likelihood that you'll ever need to replace it.

Anyway, even if a topped-off meter meant a 100% charged battery, given that the HV battery is in almost constant use doing *something* during the normal operation of the car, I can't imagine how you would ever experience that topped-off state for more than a few seconds!

Upshot: I think this is normal.

Disclaimer: I don't own one yet. I've just been doing an obsessive amount of reading on the subject...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Just stumbled across this news account.

http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&cat=I- NDUSTRY&feed=dji&news_id=dji-00058520040719&date=2004- 0719

It appears Toyota may almost double production eventually. Hmmm, maybe they do make money on these things. Or they are trying to compensate for having the worst fuel MPG average for the larger models among the large automakers...
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Since 2002, Toyota has been saying their plans are to produce 300,000 hybrid systems per year worldwide by the end 2005.

That article confirms they are right on schedule.

JOHN
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yeah, the RX400h deliveries are now exactly one year behind schedule........
    Since winning "Car of the Year" was quite a bit ahead of schedule (causing a very unexpected surge in hybrid interest, along with the unexpected surge in gas prices), it's to be expected.

Fortunately, the battery lawsuit is settled. That was a contributing factor to the delay too.

JOHN
    > i have a bad impression of toyota right now.

And the rest of us have a bad impression of the rest of the automakers (except Honda) for not offering any hybrid at all.

Things will settle down once supply catches up.

Remember, this has happened once already (with the classic model). All ended up working out great. It was immediately available on the lot for a price below MSRP and profit was still be made on the sale.

JOHN
  • kenk25kenk25 Member Posts: 16
    article is correct, went to two dealers in NJ and there was at least a 6 month wait and found out must get the so called platium package or other dealer add ons. looked at it and said why should i pay for a car in the 28k range when i could get an acura tsx (luxury) for less. got the acura and didn't have to wait 6 months. i have a bad impression of toyota right now. hopefully when i look for another new car in a few years, supply will meet demand.

Note this is repost from #3642, Sorry didn't know masked profanity wasn't allowed
    john, i really hope so, like the power and looks of new prius, even if some car mag say it gets 42 mpg, that is still good.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1pmPT/3-4pm ET
    NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    I have been gathering proof showing that data collected by some car mags & newspapers is flawed. The new tires I just got clearly indicate there is a break-in period. Did you know that?

So by using a brand new Prius for their measurements, MPG is guaranteed to be impaired by engine break-in and tire break-in. Then of course, there are always the MPG reducing factors that have nothing to do with driving: oil overfill, oil type, tire pressure, and outside temperature.

Owners are aware of those factors and have completed break-in. So naturally, they report higher MPG.

JOHN
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Anybody who is online now at 12:36 pacific time come on over to the Hybrid Chat Room. We need some more company!

thanks

Shifty the Host from somewhere else....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just go here and click on "Member Chats"

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/townhall/welcome.jsp

Okay, a few showed up...c'mon, a couple more!

Still got 15 minutes to join us!
    john.. the article i read was from motor trend, the one year test. it's not completed, only an update after 3500 miles, you can find it on their website. they do admit they drive the car hard, which is how i would want to do every now and then but 42 mpg is still good, imo.
    Yes, exactly. Even if I never get better than 42mpg when my Prius finally arrives...I only get 25mpg out of my Forester. And given the numbers I see John getting, right here in Minnesota, I'm fairly sure I'll manage better than 42...
    John, I'm still hoping that someone can tell me if the touch screen on the '04 is different from the touch screen on the '03. I hear people talking about it showing their battery charge status. It seems to me that my '03 screen doesn't tell me that. Am I missing something???

Ed Headington
    The '03 does tell you. It's that green inside the battery on the Energy-Monitor. But since Prius goes to great extremes to prevent the charge-level from ever wandering much beyond the ideal level (to ensure very long battery-pack life), you will rarely ever see it change.

I never saw 1/4 or "empty". I only saw "full" 3 times over 60,000 miles of driving. I saw 1/2 from time to time after long stealth drives, but it only remained there briefly. It was for the most part on 3/4 constantly.

On the '04, they doubled the sensitivity along with adding color. That makes it much easier to notice. And due to the larger electric-motor and the higher RPM on the smaller electric-motor, there will be fluctuation more often.

JOHN
    John, thanks for the info on the battery charge level. I never noticed that. I guess that since I normally run with the consumption screen on, that didn't help. Anyway, thanks so much. It will be interesting to see what the charge level is when I return from one of my 4 month trips!!

thanks again,
    Ed Headington
    scheil2- Did you get your outside temp readout to read Farenheit yet? If so, what did you do to fix it?
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On June 26, my Prius salesman emailed me to tell me a package 3 Prius matching one of my color choices would be arriving at the dealership in the next 20 to 30 days. He followed up the next day to tell me the color was silver, my third of three choices, and that the car should be in by July 15--when I would be in England for two weeks. I told him the earliest I could pick up the car was July 23, and he said that would be OK but suggested I come in earlier to complete the paperwork.

So after almost eight months to the day, my long wait was almost over!

And now, as Paul Harvey says, for the rest of the story...

On July 8, I emailed the salesman and told him I was going to pass on the car and to give it to the next person in line. I would not be buying a Prius in the near future.

It was a painful email to send. I really love the Prius and was looking forward to owning one. However, when I put my name on the list last November, I was about #30 overall, the dealership was getting 10-11 Priuses each month, and over half of those were package 3s. The November allocation had not yet arrived. Do the math and I should have had no problem getting my car by Memorial Day, when the lease on my Grand Caravan was to expire.

Then the situation changed. First, Prius production slowed down (according to my salesman, in order to prepare for production of the Highlander Hybrid and RX400h). They no longer got 10-11 Priuses per month. Then, the Chicago Region started loading up on package 9s, to the point where they were shipping no package 3s at all to dealerships early in the year. When they started to arrive again, in May, it was only 25% of all units.

Finally, my cash flow is not as good as I thought it would be this year. So cost became a major factor, if not the major factor. At the local auto show in March, I analyzed alternatives to the Prius. I found one, the Matrix, that would meet my needs but was only very slightly less expensive to own over 7 years (my planned ownership span) than the Prius--and I like the Prius much more than the Matrix. So that was that.

There was one other car that I had considered briefly, the Elantra GT hatchback, but I had taken it off my list because: A) it had standard leather interior, and I don't like leather, and B) I didn't think the rear seat would have enough legroom for my teenage sons. Otherwise, I really liked the car. (I own a '01 Elantra.) But then at the auto show, my oldest son and his equal-sized friend test-sat in the Elantra GT and we found out its rear seat did have enough leg room, albeit less than that of the Prius. I also realized that the main drivers of the car would be my DW and my oldest son, and I asked them if they would mind having a leather interior. "Not at all," they said. They also said they would not mind having the power moonroof and MP3 player that came with the Elantra, but not on the Prius. Still, I really wanted that Prius.

Then for the clincher: I calculated that the Elantra would cost about $10,000 less to own over 7 years than the Prius, before factoring in the fuel savings with the Prius. At a generous $3.00 per gallon average, I estimated those savings to be $600 per year, or $4200 over seven years. More important to me was the fact that the up front cost of the Prius would be almost $9000 more than that of the Elantra GT--money I could use for other things like tuition and mortgage payments.

So my family and I are pleased with the Elantra, but it's not a Prius. I'll keep my eye on the Prius and other hybrids because I'll need a car to replace my '01 Elantra in the fall of '06, when I turn it over to my oldest son for college. Who knows what hybrid options I may have then (including a rumored Elantra hybrid)?
  • toyo_ztoyo_z Member Posts: 47
    hi,
    i'm renting a 2004 prius next week and would like to be able to plug my phone into the d/c adapter (aka, cigarette lighter..)

does the prius have one? i can't see it clearly in any pictures.

if it doesn't, looks like i'm up the creek with my electrical stuff...

thanks
    toyo_z,
      Welcome aboard! The Prius does have two such devices. One is located by the front passenger's left knee on the lower part of the dashboard and the other is located in the center console at the bottom, in front. The nice thing about the console power port is that you can re-charge your cell phone and leave it inside completely out of view!
      A word of advice to all - When not using the power ports be sure to close them up so nothing metallic gets in and shorts out a fuse.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Sure hope there is a DC power outlet, (there is no 120 volt AC outlet in the 04, maybe for 05 or when the switch to a 36 volt system is made, when is that) ?
  • toyo_ztoyo_z Member Posts: 47
    thanks for the fast reply, rpgolfer!

i'm really excited about getting to drive this car. The waiting lists are so incredibly long that this seemed to be the best opportunity to really "try one on" for a week or so & see what its like to live with.

Fortunately there are a select few rental companies around the country that will rent them out to normal joes like me... i just hope this one hasn't had the snot beaten out of it by other people.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Congrats on the Elantra. You bought a great car that is right for you and your family now.

I hope you will still be active in the hybrid discussions as you have had much to offer here....and of course I expect to see you in the Elantra discussions to tell us all about ownership.

Congrats again.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the choices should be numerous, indeed. The Camry, Accord, and Altima should all be available as hybrids. And equally important, there should be other fuel- and space-efficient alternatives, as well: Mercedes will have the B-Class [a stretched version of the new-gen A which is just being introduced in EU], hopefully with both turbo gas and diesel engines capable of an honest 35-40 mpg in everyday use. The next-gen Civic will have been released, which is supposed to be both larger and more efficient. VW will have finally released the gen-5 Golf in this country by then, and the new Passat [presumably with a TDI alternative] will have been out long enough to have some of the early bugs worked out.

I once observed in this forum that there were only two cars out there right now that combine real space inside with real fuel economy [35 mpg and up in real-world everyday use] - the Passat TDI and the Prius. 24-28 months from now, the number of alternatives should have tripled or quadupled. And by then, supply and demand on the Prius itself should have finally achieved a nice balance, if that is still your first choice.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I have not been able to do anything about it. In the morning, especially if its cool, it shows celsius but later in the day, it reverts to fahrenheit.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Can the '04 Prius be equipped with both DRLs and HID headlamps ?
  • scheil2scheil2 Member Posts: 6
    Today, I received a new recall notice -LSC 40E.

It's to prevent water leaking into the engine compartment from the area at the top oif the hood near the cowl.

They are to install a waterproof seal to the underside of the hood.

When will they ever end?
  • hsfordhsford Member Posts: 14
    Well, somehow the stars were aligned and I was able to purchase an 04 Prius after 1-day of true shopping. July 28, I decided to stop at a toyota dealer to see if they had any Prius available. I waved down the first salesman standing outside the main doors and asked. His immediate response was yes we have on for sale for a $5k mark-up. I went ahead and test drove one they had on the lot that was marked "NOT FOR SALE". I loved the car, so the next night I started submitting quote requests online via edmunds. The emails and phone calls the next morning were all pretty much the same. Either they weren't taking any orders at this time, or I could put down a deposit and get on the 6 - 10 mo waiting list. The best offer was 2-3 months with a deposit. I then started calling dealers all over southern California. One dealer said they may have something, but would have to have the manager call me back. Several hours went by, and no call back, but finally around 2:30 in the afternoon, I received a call stating they had one white Prius with Package #9 that came in this morning. The manager offered it to me with a $1500 dollar markup which was less than the TMV price on Edmunds, so I jumped on it. I went straight to the dealer and picked it up on July 30th. The car was as promised, White Pkg#9 with 2 miles on the Odometer. I am so loving this car.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would promptly turn that dealer and the one that offered a Prius for $5000 over MSRP. It is my understanding that Toyota is cracking down on dealers that are gouging customers. In my book it is criminal and should be dealt with either by Toyota or the consumer protection agency.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    They can't really gauge customers by asking $5000 over MSRP. It is not like a new Prius is a life or death need like food or water. People can choose to pass on it if they don't want it.

The local Ford dealer laughably has 2005 Ford Focus models listed with $1995 ADP over MSRP.
    I was told that Toyota does not allow their dealers to add a premium to their cars. Honda does allow it. My personal feeling is that the hybrids are different than say a very popular sports car. The people buying them are either trying to save money, fuel or the environment. For dealers to take advantage of the fact that Toyota does not have their STUFF together is wrong. But then Starbucks charged $5 a bottle for water following the 9/11 tragedy in NY. Maybe all is fair let the buyer beware. I would never buy a car from a dealer that did that. And would bad mouth them to every person that would listen.

Why anyone would buy a Ford Focus is beyond the realm of reason, so I guess they deserve to be ripped off.
    I just pulled up the local San Diego price on a Focus and all the 2005 models show a $2000 rebate. Must have been a mistake.
    That more than makes up for the $1995 additional dealer markup, doesn't it? ;-) The difference between the Ford dealer's attempt at gouging and the Toyota dealer's is that almost all customers at the Ford dealer will simply laugh and say "no, thanks" and the charge will disappear, whereas it will most likely stick on the high-demand Prius.
  • hsfordhsford Member Posts: 14
    I agree its a shame to have to pay more than MSRP, but for me, $1500 dollars was worth not having to wait for who knows how long. Each of us has a personal decision to make on what we'll pay and how long we're willing to hold out for what we want. I jumped on it and have no regrets....Enjoying my 04 Prius NOW.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It's fine if you are buying because you just want it for ecological-political reasons or you like the odd styling or tech gadgets.
    However, it is sad that some people have delusions that a Package #9 Prius at and above MSRP is going to "save" money for them due to the hybrid fuel economy.
    Resale value will only remain good while there is a shortage.
    So, who knows what they will be worth in 5 years and when second-hand buyers are worried about the cost of replacing the battery.
    HID bulbs do not have a filament inside. The light that you actually see is an arc of electricity. That requires a very specific voltage to occur. Lowering it for the sake of DRL isn't realistic.

Anyway, the actual point of DRL is to provide light at a reduced electrical draw. So you still get a safety benefit but it isn't as taxing on the system.

HID provides a reduced electrical draw by design. So the goal is already achieved at full power. The purpose of DRL is fulfilled without as is, no modification necessary.

JOHN
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Yes, it is possible, the Lexus line does it all the time. The HIDs are for low beam and the DRLs run off the high beam running with a resistor in-line so they are at about half-power.

Outside the USA even the Prius offers DRL, look just to the North in Canada where DRLs are manadatory.

It would be a simple, almost no weight or no cost option to add to the USA Prius. It seems, all the rest of the Toyota/Lexus line has DRLs.
    Welcome back to Edmunds.com Town Hall, MidCow! Hard to stay away, isn't it?
    > where DRLs are manadatory

Please define what is actually required.

It may not match what the expectation here. "DRL" is far to generic of a term.

JOHN