Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    theonion.com has a great comedy opinion piece gently teasing Prius owners...hilarious....:

http://www.theonion.com/opinion/index.php?issue=4105
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    Oops, I take it back, there is a better way to deal with the "I Agree" annoyance.

Coastal Dave just released it:

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    Hello timber104.

I too am selling a nice car to have the Prius...I have had one ad in the newspaper but no callers..I have had one person look and drive the car but it didn't work out..What plans do you have to sell your car, price your car, etc., ??

I am having our car detailed out to the tune of $250.00 next week and hope that helps, if I can get someone to look at it.

It is a 2002 Black Solara and is in great shape and still in warranty.

Any suggestions will be great! Thanks, bjich
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Also - I have read that when you follow the steps, don't have anyone sitting in the passenger seat or it doesn't work.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I am pretty sure the kit sold by Coastal Dave would void your warranty on the NAVI. Think before you actually commit to do it. How about the liability issue when you sell your Prius later and the new owner sue you for removing the "I Agree" page in case he/she crashes while setting the NAVI. You know very well that it is likely to happen in America..
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    Thanks ceric (and tempusvn) for the links. Reverse beep is now blissfully gone.

I placed an order for the nav kit. I would be concerned if the kit made a permanent change to the nav system. But the kit appears to be merely a wiring harness with some electronics that is installed in series with the Prius NAV unit's original wiring harness.

To restore "I agree", you simply remove the kit. At least thats the way it appears to work to me.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just pull the dang thing out and it's back to normal. God that was easy.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Just took my 04 Prius in for Gas Tank Nozzle & Gauge Metering and already I'm noticing a more accurate reading of fuel. Funny thing though, while in for routine oil change B/4 they ordered the gas recall parts, they took my odometer reading. Then they called me back in about three weeks later to do the work. I had accumulated almost 2K miles during the interim period due to a family crisis. This was a surprise that this was the way it worked (a 2K reading in my favor). Has anyone else had this experience?

Culliganman (miles saved-in a way)
    Just wanted to pass on to any other 04 PRIUS owners that if you have a faulty fuel gauge I advise you to get in to your Toyota Dealer ASAP and get the parts replaced if you fall into the product recall.

Since the replacement of said parts several days ago I noticed a much more accurate metering of fuel. I now trust the gauge with confidence. (getting nearly 500 miles per tank)

Culliganman (a gas gauge I can trust)
  • jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    < Just wanted to pass on to any other 04 PRIUS owners that if you have a faulty fuel gauge I advise you to get in to your Toyota Dealer ASAP and get the parts replaced if you fall into the product recall. >

Does this apply to the 2005 also, or did they include the upgrade in production of the 2005?

jprice
    According to my service tech @ my Toyota dealer the company corrected the problem mid 04 production. I could check the exact production cut-off number that I believe was around 31-32 thousand. All the 05's are suppose to be built with the revised systems. When you get to the flashing last blip you should be down to a fairly accurate 1-1/2 to 2 gallons left. I'm getting more miles to the tank now due to this better accuracy.

Culliganman (hows that sound?)
  • oliviasdadoliviasdad Member Posts: 1
    I had a chance to buy a either a used one or a new one this week. But I decided to go with a new Corolla instead. I'm driving about 30,000 miles a year right now. My biggest concern was what would happen after the warranty ran out, even with the extended, and there was a problem with the batteries. I know someone here recommended that you get the extended warranty, and trade it off when it expires, but that means that I would be trading it in just over three years, wouldn't even have it paid off. I know that right now they're holding their value really well, but what happens in three years. The Corolla will give me at least 2.5 times better gas mileage than my Dodge Ram is getting. Perhaps in a couple years, when we start to learn more about the battery/electric systems on hybrids, and how well they hold up to high miles. I also figure that in a few years, as more and more vehicles come out with hybrid options, that they will come down in price, not only to buy, but to replace the battery/electric components.
    Nobody is going to tell you that you messed up. A Toyota Corolla is an excellent choice. Who knows maybe the hybrids will have unforeseen difficulties. I personally have no regrets and I enjoy the stories that I've come to experience like when I pulled into a gas-station next to a woman filling up (w/ premium) a HUMMER. She asked several questions about my Prius as I finished filling up ($13.68). As I left she was still pumping @ $75.00. I SMILED! Just remember. There are people who like to tell you how much their cars cost and then there are people that love to tell how much they saved.

Culliganman (As Dorie says,"JUST KEEP SWIMMING")

P.S. Half the fun of a PRIUS is showing "the car of tomarrow TODAY"
  • jpricejprice Member Posts: 58
    <All the 05's are suppose to be built with the revised systems. When you get to the flashing last blip you should be down to a fairly accurate 1-1/2 to 2 gallons left.>

Thanks - I've been refilling at 2 bars, having gotten used to previous cars where it was a good idea to refill at a quarter tank to be safe.

jprice
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,

What do I have to do to see if my Prius qualifies for parts replacement to correct an innacurate fuel gauge? I'm bringing in my car today for the brake switch and Nav reprogam recalls. Due to my driving conditions (mostly city, stop-and-go driving) I'm currently only getting mpg in the 40's. After about 320 mi I start getting the last blinking bar. Does that sound like your driving?

Thanks,

Rich
    Check #4094 @ this site. OK? OK!

CULLIGANMAN
  • chilimanchiliman Member Posts: 2
    Hi - Bought my 2004 prius P #5 off of ebay for $19600. This was a no reserve sale. The car has 8500 miles on it. The guy gave me the "I'm not making any money on this" (save it buddy). What you think?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Bought my 2004 prius P #5 off of ebay for $19600.

Was it a good experience buying a car on eBay? There are those on this forum that don't consider it a good indicator of prices paid for cars. It is the only source I have found where you can see the actual selling price.
    Well, I'd say there are a few factors to consider. One, How long did the bidding run on ebay? Two, did you get at or near what you wanted? (color-options-how far to travel for pickup). Three, were there any dings or dents inside or out? Lastly, are you happy about the car since?

If you know and appreciate the value of the Prius that should help.

PS_ Take note as to the three recall (TSB's) on the 04 Prius (have records been kept indicating these have been resolved.

Culliganman (welcome to the "HYBRID FRATERNITY")
  • chilimanchiliman Member Posts: 2
    I should of said - I had the winning bid for the car at 19600 (+700 shipping)

The deal hasn't closed yet. Still waiting for them to fax a readable title to my lender. I'm a little leary. Not totally sure if they hold the title. But - they did give me all of their bank info - acc. number, routing number, etc. to make the wire. Ebay insures you up to 20,000 on most sales. If you buy from Ebay ask seller if you can use a credit card for balance. This guy baulked at pay pal (AMEX) even though it is listed as the prefered pay method.

The sellers seems a bit new at this - I'll keep you posted should things crumble.

Ron
    quote gagrice-" It is the only source I have found where you can see the actual selling price."-end quote

No, Gary, that is not true. The Edmunds TMV is a price which is calculated using ACTUAL CAR PRICES PAID BY CAR BUYERS AT REAL DEALERS. It is not an estimate, it is based 100% on REAL DATA.

E-bay is a VERY VERY poor car buying model. Who in their right mind would buy a car without seeing, feeling, touching, inspecting it? That's just amazing that they sell any cars at all.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We have a discussion Purchasing a Vehicle Online (eBay, etc.) to discuss the eBay car buying model.

Thanks!
    E-bay is a VERY VERY poor car buying model. Who in their right mind would buy a car without seeing, feeling, touching, inspecting it? That's just amazing that they sell any cars at all.

Thousands of cars are sold that way. I work with a guy that has bought several. I would be prepared to fly and inspect before I laid the money down. I would also add that expense into my bidding. Most of the cars sold on eBay are through legitimate dealers. It is a good way to expand your selling area. The price paid on this Prius was right on the Private Party Edmund's price. I would be a nervous not seeing the car before I paid for it.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    As Sylvia mentioned above, if you are going to continue the discussion about using E-Bay to purchase a vehicle, please do so in the appropriate forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef193c7

Thanks!
  • naresstraitnaresstrait Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I started shopping for a new Prius last Saturday. Dealer #1 (Toyota World in Newark, Delaware) had a single used 2004 or 2005 Prius with 7,000+ miles on it asking for more $27,000 with package 4. They explained the surcharge of over $2000 with their waiting list of over 50 people. Dealer #2 in the same county (Price Toyota in New Castle, Delaware) sold us on a Prius. An incredibly knowledgeable sales person conveyed real excitement about the car and technology. He had gone through some Toyota training and it showed. We really liked the Prius at that point. He even explained the MSRP+$1000 for a black 2005 model (package-4) well referring to an eBay sale of one of their models for ~$2,000 over sticker. We hesitated, but declined as we did not like the black color. No problem, the sales person said, I'll have a silver Prius, package-4 in mid-March for you, no waiting list, but MSRP+$1,000 was the firm price.

That night I found this forum and decided to call around the state to see if any Prius were in stock. We hit the "jackpot" in at Hertrich's of Milford, Delaware who had three new 2005 Prius on the lot available for sale at MSRP. After a courtesy call to the salesperson at Price Toyota, we drove 65 miles, picked the car (white, package-4) for the following price:

$20,875 MSRP
    $2,075 package-4
    $186 floor mats
    $59 wheel locks
    $654 state sales tax
    $201 tags, fees, junk, etc.
    which should add to $24,590. Extended warranty, bumper-to-bumper, 6 years/100,000 miles added $795, and we drove home happy with our new Prius yesterday, Sunday.

The second Prius on the lot (red, package-6) was sold as we walked into the dealer, the third (gold, package-1) is still readied for sale. The sales person told us at the end of the day that they will get four more Prius coming the next month.

The car was fun to drive, we got 51 MPG on the 65 mile trip home. No waiting at MSRP after visiting three dealers. All sales people were most pleasant to deal with.
    No waiting at MSRP after visiting three dealers

Welcome to the Forum. That is the kind of story we like to hear. If more people would persevere and shop around the rip-off dealers would go out of business. That looks like a fair price on the extended warranty also... Good luck with your new car...
    I am on a mailing list from Big Two Toyota in Tempe AZ - got this today:

"We wanted to let you know about a special shipment we received from Toyota for not selling the Prius over MSRP." Big Two Toyota is a family owned dealership, and we also have the lowest sales in the Valley.

Please let me know if you are interested in any of these vehicles.

Respectfully,

Big Two Toyota
    Fleet Director

1. Seaside Pearl with FE, BC, CF, EF, GN, and WL MSRP is 26839.00

2. Super White with FE, BC, CF, EF, GN, and WL MSRP is 26839.00

3. Super White with FE, BC, CF, and EF MSRP is 26,731.00

4. Seaside Pearl with FE, BC, CF, and EF MSRP is 26,731.00

5. Driftwood Pearl with FE, BC, CF, and EF MSRP is 26,731.00

6. Driftwood Pearl with FE, AM, CF, and EF MSRP is 23,741.00

7. Super White with FE, AM, CF, and EF MSRP is 23,741.00

8. Millenium Silver Metallic with FE, BI, CF, and EF MSRP is 22,766.00
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Definitely a step in the right direction. I wish American car companies (especially GM) would take notice.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&ncid=509&e=2&- u=/ap/20050223/ap_on_bi_ge/automakers_plastics
  • catehcateh Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealer gave you a discount of $500 off MSRP?

Thanks!
  • nova_craftnova_craft Member Posts: 7
    I was in at the Toyota dealer the other day (Looking at the Tacomas), and saw a prius. It looked awesome, so I asked the salesman to open it up for me.

What a cool car. What a scary system.

Am I the only one afraid of what the bill will be when the touchscreen lets go in 5 yrs? How does the key thing work, and what happens when I drop it in a puddle? If I'm in bumper to bumper traffic on the 401 across toronto, running at 130 km/h, what happens if I need to turn down the heat? (Touch screen seven times to get to thermo controls, hit down button...)

I may have considered the car if it was new technology on the drivetrain alone, but with everything in the car automated, it was simply scary. According to the salesman, the whole system would become intuitive with use (??? Doesn't intuitive mean that you understand it right off???)

In any case, has anyone else had to overcome fears of technology with these cars? I honestly have done no research whatsoever on the Prius, and seeing one I thought, well, maybe...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Toyota also has Corollas with crank-operated windows, manual HVAC, and (maybe) no remote locking, so there's no remote to drop in a puddle. If you are technology-shy, that might be a better bet.

Electronics like a touch screen are more reliable than mechanical parts. But if you are concerned about their reliability, you could get an extended warranty.

There are controls on the steering wheel for the major operations.
    The previous posts about the GM car belong in a new discussion please!
    Walser Toyota in Bloomington, MN. They have a no-haggle pricing policy. I got the $500 off MSRP in November 2003. Not sure what their current deal is. I do know that when my number came up for a Prius in July 2004, they had about 130 people on their waiting list.
    I too was a bit blown away at first when confronted with the PRIUS and its' new technology BUT Once you get educated as to the new and different workings of this hybrid you realize that you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    As to the controls...You can work temp on the left side of the steering wheel. I do agree that the screen could be improved just as with any car you will always see improvements as the manufacturer refines the product.
    Here's an interesting point. Since I own the 04 Prius I'd have to say that the new & inovative push-button starting system has a high level of theft-deterent. The only way one could be stolen is with a tow truck and even that would be difficult.
    Lastly I suggest that if, and I emphasize IF, you do the homework you will be impressed that MOTOR TREND, CAR & DRIVER, CONSUMER'S REPORT, and several other automotive digests are quite right in claiming this car to be THE CAR OF THE FUTURE TODAY. Oh, and by the way, ask anyone of the Prius owners when you stop for gas. That is if you ever see one in a station.(a rare sight)
    CULLIGANMAN(it's easy to rate a Prius a 10)
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ....... I'm just curious .. but if you could sell your $350,000 home for $400,000 - would that make you a rip-off ..?

Or, would that just make you a good business person and getting what the market will bear.?

just curious,

Terry.
    One more thing on HVAC controls... if the car has the optional nav system, you can change temperature and perform many, many other functions by VOICE command! Your hands (or even fingers) never leave the steering wheel. That's high-tech for sure, but FUN high-tech! And safer than reaching for the HVAC controls on other cars.
    You are inviting an off-topic disruption.

Let's stick to the specific Prices Paid & Buying Experiences of the Toyota Prius please.
    All controls for the HVAC are on the steering wheel. Try and find that feature in this price segment. Way to go Toyota!!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Okay I'll bite, how often do you need to change the HVAC controls from the steering wheel? or for that matter how often do you ever need to change the HVAC controls? set it on Auto and select you desired temperature and forget it.

I'll bet next year they add controls to adjust the clock on the steering wheel for when daylight savings time starts and stops.

Have a GoodDay,

MidCow
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "Okay I'll bite, how often do you need to change the HVAC controls from the steering wheel? or for that matter how often do you ever need to change the HVAC controls?"

On my Prius I use the Steering Wheel Controls all the time. I use the Front and Rear Defrost Controls whenever fogging or slush requires it (love those heated Side Mirrors too), and when I get behind a Truck or Bus one touch changes from outside air intake to recirculate.

For the Temperature Control though, I find it easier to just push the voice control button and tell the car what temperature I want. :)
    Prius tops the list:

http://tinyurl.com/5lxzn
    I wish I had those controls on my MINI Convertible..... they're pretty cool. I think having the A/C, Radio volume etc is a good safety feature.
    Since I"m in the $100K (according to somebody)(ha!) I enjoy these new and convenient options on my Prius. Anything that helps me keep my eyes on the road is a safety plus in my mind. I'll say it again....DRIVE A PRIUS AND SEE THE LIGHT!The fact that my clock is self adjusting for DST is only a small convenience that I've come to enjoy. What I like best is that all you nay-sayers standing your ground like "Custer at The Little Big Horn." One day the light will come on in the frig and you too will get the hybrid fever. It happens every time I pull in AFTER a "MAMMOTH GAS GUZZLER" and and leave BEFORE it does with more $$$$$ in my pocket.
    Culliganman(sooner or later you get the fever)
    PS O.K. I fibbed about the clock) chuckle
    Back in November 04 when I decided to purchase an 04 Prius after considerable deliberation, I had to wait for my ordered car three months. The salesman (whom I found to be agreeable, curtious, and helpful) gave me the straight talk. "If you want a Prius it will be sold @ MSRP and that is the only way to puchase it." Not unlike a Saturn dealership when it comes to their cars too. The price of the 05 Prius has gone up and as I look back on my decision to GO GREEN I feel that it was the right one by far. As fuel prices esscalate I'm even more confident in my move to combat my fuel costs. If anyone out there is considering a Prius (or any other hybrid) I suggest you give it serious thought and talk to those of us that already took the BIG PLUNGE. An emphatic YES! I totaly endorse it. Is the Prius worth the $$$$? Unequivicably again yes! Lastly, I would point out as WE ALL watch the price of fuel go up and up. Doesn't it make sense to get a good feeling in a dealership again and a better feeling in your wallet?
    Culliganman(trust hybrids)
  • nerak1120nerak1120 Member Posts: 2
    Hi y'all...I'm looking into buying a Prius 2005 Pkg#3? What's a great OTD price? Is there a discount if I were to pay all cash? I'm a newbie and I'm looking for advice and tips. I'm fron So. Cal. don't know if that makes a difference. Friends are saying go to las Vegas to purchase this car coz it might be cheaper, is that true? Thanks in advance.
  • nerak1120nerak1120 Member Posts: 2
    I live here in So. Cal. What's a win-win OTD price for a prius '05 pkg3(BI)?If I were to pay cash is there a discount?
    If I were to pay cash is there a discount?

Don't tell them you are paying cash in advance. They get a kick back from the lenders. You will be quoted a higher price. I would go to AZ. LARSB listed a dealer in Tempe that had several on his lot for sale a couple days ago. Check dealer over there by phone. Good Luck, and Welcome to the Forum!

Here is the link back to message 744:

larsb, "Toyota Prius: Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #744, 22 Feb 2005 3:10 pm
    1st...Go in on the last 3 or 4 days of the month. The sales agent is usually on commision and any salesperson will tell you they love to squeeze one more deal in at the end of the month.
    2nd...If your serious about buying and your not a "stroker"(a goofuss who just wants to talk cars but has no intention of buying), let them know your a real "buyer"(even flash a check book) just to get your point across.(this is simply good communication)
    3rd...This one is tricky. Find a salesperson you feel good about. You know, a non-pushy, non-phony, non-B.S.er.
    4th...Understand that when a car is in demand (like the Prius) don't expect to see any discounts. You can avoid the "ADD ONS" in most cases. Prius cars are beginning to be abit more available so good luck.
    Last point (for now) Treat them the way you'd want to be treated. Remember..They want to sell almost as much as you want to buy. That's why they're there.
    PS There's nothing wrong with buying @ MSRP if the car is well worth it. Do test drive the car of choice of course too!
    NOTE: You didn't say if you were trading or not. If you have a trade-in DON'T. You almost always lose big bucks that you could use toward that down paymnt. Clean up the old buggy (and I do mean serious spit & polish right down to the detailing). Put a 4-Sale sign in it. Run an AD. Sell it through "bargan-finders"
    GOOD LUCK & TAKE YOUR TIME
    Culliganman(wisdom comes with info)
  • mtransue1mtransue1 Member Posts: 15
    Your advice is great. I come into this site to read all the posts. I have a Prius on order in N.C. where I will go to the summer and since I ordered a red car... I have had to wait.

Looking forward to owning one. Paying $ 24.778 which I think is too much but that is out the door price with mats and a cargo mat too.

Did not get the GSP... nor the Disc player that plays a lot of C.D.'s..

All posts are interesting reads.

mltsp