Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    You can DEFINITELY do better on the extended warranty. If I were you, I'd ask the dealership for a full refund on the warranty. My friend paid $987 for the same one and believe it, it is the real deal. The dealer made plenty of money from just the sale of the car, he got even more gravy by selling you the warranty. BTW.. the warranty is a GOOD idea.
  • gene_ggene_g Member Posts: 1
    We had a pleasing and strightforward buying experience here in Bakersfield. I had done my homework, and called outside (to a town down in Southern California where my mom had lived) but went to Bill Wright Toyota, whose name we got from the Costco and Sams Club affinity websites.

We changed out minds about the color we wanted an hour into the deal, and NO PROBLEM. (White to driftwood pearl -- and there were a number of others on hand.):

I am not connected with Toyota in any way. (I did drive a used ?88 Toyota Corolla for many years, until we moved from NM to CA and it didn?t pass the CA emissions inspection)

I think the Edmunds website is a great step towards that day in the future when automobile transactions like others will be a ?transparent? process: all information available to all parties to the trade.

NEW 2005 PRIUS Package 6, 40 miles Vehicle ID JTDKB20U657013061
    MSRP: $20,875
    Package No.5 $5,065
    Accessory Pkg. $262
    Bumper applique $65
    Glass Breakage Sensor $165
    Wheel Locks $59
    Delivery Processing Fee $40
    Total $27,031
    Cash Price Vehicle $27031.00
    Document Preparation Fee (not a governmental fee) $45.00
    Safes Tax (on taxable items) $ 1963.01
    Optional DMV Electronic Filing Fee* $ 28.00
    Total Cash Price $29067.01
    Amounts Paid to Public Officials A. License Fees Estimate $ 225.00
    [[They overestimated: We got about $20 refunded]]
    California Tire Fees $ 8.75
    SMOG ABATEMENT FEE $ 12.00
    Total Official Fees $ 245 75
    Total $29,312.76

Elaine and Gene Goodman
    7-4 La Puente Dr.
    Bakersfield CA 93309
  • vmccaulvmccaul Member Posts: 27
    Hi Gene...you wouldn't believe it, but we bought ours at Bill Wright Toyota in Bakersfield also. I agree everything was straightforward. I see you didn't go for the extended warranty? That is the one place where I think they gouged us. Also I noticed you said package 5 for $5065...did you mean package six (loaded)? That is the typical package 6 price and too high for 5. I think maybe I got the white package #6 that you rejected!

Anyway, hope you are enjoying your car as much as we are. Maybe I'll see you around town.
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    OK, Backy, I found your post #845. I have been corrected by someone (Headless) in the Lexus RX400H forum who stated that it is a $2000 CREDIT and not a tax DEDUCTION for the 2005 hybrids. Can Backy or someone else for that matter clarify this? I am trying to figure out the exact cost of the Prius with the tax credit/ deduction factored in, so a clear answer, anyone? Was the form Backy referred to for deduction (which means the $2000 deduction is equivalent to about $500-600 actual dollars for someone in the 28-33%bracket)? Thanks in advance for your answer.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, it is a $2000 deduction off of taxable income.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It is a tax deduction on your federal tax. I believe the confusion is based on tax credits given by some states such as Oregon. The RX400h is not yet included on the hybrids that qualify for the tax deduction.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml
    Hi, Timber104, Can you tell me which NY/ NJ dealerships had the reasonable (MSRP) prices with the full packages? e.g., the dealership that offered you the blue, fully loaded Prius that you turned down because of the color? Also, can anyone let me know if the Prius comes with an AWD option or is it just the vehicle stability control option for driving in the snow? Thanks.
    Also, Thanks to Backy and Gagrice for your clarification of the tax deduction issue.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For more info, please visit our Tax credits / incentives for hybrids? discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

FWD with ABS and traction control only, no AWD. Better move these kinds of questions to the Toyota Prius 2004+ discussion before we get the two-minute warning from our Host.
    Hey, I'll even provide the trapdoor:
    Toyota Prius 2004+

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi, Backy and Kirstie, I meant the questions to be part of the price consideration for the Prius. For instance, the AWD is more expensive for the RX330 and other cars. Also, a tax credit/ deduction would certainly affect the final price of the Prius (all part of my own number crunching process). However, I appreciate the referral to the Tax Credits forum for hybrids (did not realize it existed).
  • rfordrford Member Posts: 5
    HI all. I spend a lot of time reading Edmunds messages before I make a purchase decision. So, it seemed fair to post my experience now that I have owned a new 2005 Prius for exactly 7 days.

I live in Davis California, and last week I found a newly delivered Salsa Red Prius at Hanlees here in Davis. I bought it on the spot. I drive a lot of miles for work In CA between the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento. After putting 250 miles on the car, I fully filled the gas tank. 240 miles after that it took 3.97 gallons to again fill the tank, meaning 60.5 MPG. Yesterday I drove exactly 200 miles and filled with 3.34 gallons, or 59.9 MPG.

Of the above mentioned travel, I would estimate that 85% to 90% was on the highway at close to the speed limit of 65. The temperature was between 55 and 70. I drove carefully, but not overly. And all of the miles were with me at 180 lbs. and about 70 lbs. of work stuff. I like the car! It is weird to fill a car after a long day of driving these days for under $10!

We are going on a trip to Colorado in two weeks and were planning on taking our Sportsmobile camping van, but I just did the math and the Prius will save over $350 in gas cost, so Prius it is. Have I already mentioned I love this car?

This message was also posted on the mileage experience

Dick Ford
    Davis, CA
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the car (or space pod). Talk about ingenuity!! This car continues to amaze me. I sometimes see people park at the store and they LOVE to talk about their Prius. I read that 94% of owners are satisfied with their purchase. Makes you wonder why GM wants to bury its face in the sand!! Keep us posted on the mileage and details of your trip. Have fun!! Go hybrid!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    dick ford,
    Congrats on your new car! We (Prius owners) welcome you with open doors. I live in Contra Costa County and have had an 04 (Driftwood Pearl) for 15 months now and just passed 14k miles. Every time I see an SRP (Salsa Red Pearl) I wish I could have had a color choice. We know you'll love the car and use it to its full potential. I recently came back from Death Valley up Hwy 395 to Reno and topped a few 8,000 ft summits. The car performed great! I usually drive 65-68 mph on the freeway and average 50 mpg on long freeway trips. Be sure to take time to read and re-read the owner's manual to get full knowledge so you can make the most of your car.
    What Pkg did you get? If you got the Nav program, you'll find it indispensible. When you pass by Hwy 4 in Hercules, give me a wave. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Rich
  • marym1marym1 Member Posts: 1
    I want to use the home command, but I don't understand the steps as listed in the handbook. Is there somewhere I can go to get a better explanation? When I went into the dealer, no one was there who could explain it. People in service dept didn't know and salesman was gone.
  • tcattcat Member Posts: 1
    (apparently hitting "Enter" from Title, posts!)

Very close to purchasing a 2005 Prius. In this era where next year models come out earlier and earlier, any idea when the 2006 Prius may come out? Or, does anyone know when the 2005 models arrived in California showrooms?

Relatedly: any hints on 2006 "improvements", if any? What about the more powerful engines meant to be in the Highlander hybrid--coming soon to a Prius near you?

Thanks in advance for the info!

tcat
    san francisco
    From this source, it looks like the 2006 Prius will be arriving starting in December, with production starting in November...

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

I would be very surprised if Toyota put a more powerful engine ala Highlander hybrid in the Prius. First, there just isn't much room under that sloping hood for a bigger engine. Second, the major benefit of the Prius is its super-high fuel economy. Third, the Prius doesn't need a bigger engine as its performance is fine for a mid-sized family car, IMO.
    marym1,
    I have the "home" position programmed for my home address. The other memory points are for popular destinations you may have. Without repeating what the book says, be sure you go to pages 38 and 70 as required. Currently I only have the "home" position in use, but I'm planning a trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to Boise, Idaho next month for some golf. I'm going to program 5-6 golf course addresses (ahead of time) in the memory positions to facilitate driving on unfamiliar territory. Read it over several times and see if you can have better luck now. Let us know if you need more help.
    Rich
  • wingmanwingman Member Posts: 19
    05 Prius with #5 package. Ordered a silver one on the 19 of last month and got two calls from Freehold Toyota. One for a black which I refused and a salsa red which I bought. They have a list of people who like myself had put down $500 and was prepared to wait for two months. They called many others before me and for some reason they passed. According to the sales manager most wanted the #6 package with the navagation. I have a Garman StreetPilot which is a lot cheaper, is portable and better than OEM. Anyway my wife loves the color and the way it handles not to mention the gas gauge hardly moves.

One tip for those who have a trade in. Pay Galves $5.00 and download and print out what the trade is worth. Most car dealers use Galves. It made me $750. I showed the print out and the sales manager gave me most but not all. Anyway they got you because he knows if you walk out he'll sell it to someone else with no problem. I finally got rid of that Jeep Grand Cherokee piece of crap.

The dealer said that Toyota will send me and my wife an invite along with other Prius buyers for a dinner and a show and tell which includes a certificate for a free oil change. Not bad.

Hey GM you listening? Show a little class and maybe you won't be in such a funk.
    Congrats! The #6 package has a few more goodies like blue tooth also. The portable GPS systems are nice but they are like a projectile in the car if you get in an accident. The Streetpilot 2620 comes to mind (heavy). The Garmin Quest is nice and mounts on the windshield. Let us know how your mileage is after you break it in. Good luck and welcome!!
  • lenunbiasedlenunbiased Member Posts: 13
    I've enjoyed reading up in this discussion. I'm considering a Prius (with #6) and just called the 4 closest dealers (Pasadena, Alhambra, Glendale and Longo). None has a #6 on the lot, but all have some coming in the next week that aren't already sold. Averaging across the dealers, I'd say that 50% of their incoming inventory over the next few weeks was already sold, and if you want Silver you might have a real wait. Other colors are selling basically as they arrive, but no waiting list to speak of.

Two dealers said straight away that they're selling them for list, with no willingness to go down but also no markups over list. The other 2 said, "Let's talk price when the car's here." This is just my impression of course, but one said it in a way that I took to mean they were selling them OVER list, and the other in a way I'm quite sure meant they might go a little under.
  • hybridturtleghybridturtleg Member Posts: 5
    I started checking out the dealerships today. Could I ask - did you pay the sticker price?
  • louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    I need some help. I have been debating whether to buy a Lexus RX400h. Wait, I am getting to the Prius. The salesman used the Prius as an example of how well hybrids are holding their value. His exact comment was, "people have been offering $1-2000 more than the original owner paid just to get a hybrid." He later added that due to waiting lists, that people are willing to pay current year prices for 1 and 2 year old models. Again, the Prius was his example. I am supposed to talk with the salesman again later today (Friday, 13 May), so any input as to resale value and depreciation would be greatly appreciated. As with politicians, I don't believe anything salesmen say, but I would like to find out if he is fibbing about the little stuff. :lemon:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That may not be the case in all areas, but google search under "prius" and/or "hybrid" and there are many stories from many sources in the media about used Prius's selling for more used than new ones. So it's not too far off the mark to use as an analogy.

Ken
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    These posts were moved to the discussion Paying more than MSRP for (new) Hybrids, Depreciation/Value of used Hybrids since they weren't specifically about the Prius.

Thanks!
  • solar_dadsolar_dad Member Posts: 22
    My wife and I each have Civic hybrids. Since my daughter needed a car, I flowed my HCH down to her today and bought new silver Prius. So now I can have internet flame wars with myself over which car is better : -)

The buying experience couldn't have been easier. I sent out requests to dealers online last night looking for a Package 1, and picked it up today. I wasn't picky about color, and lucked out with Silver. Paid MSRP, with no extras. They offered the extended warranty for $1295, but I passed - Toyotas are reliable, and the hybrid system is covered for 8 years anyway. Some dealers were asking MSRP but tacking on extras like paint protection ($595) or VIN etching. Ugh.

I got mine at South Bay Toyota in Southern Califiornia (Gardena). For those of you in the area, as of today they still had a white and a black Package 3 on the lot. Miller Toyota in Culver City has a blue #3, but they're the ones with the paint protection silliness.

The car is great. Sneaky fast.

Mike
    Bought a silver Package #1 off the lot (see the Buying Experiences site for purchase details). The car is really quick, lots of room. I drove one when they first came out in October 2003 but forgot how nice they were.

The Prius joins our two Civic hybrids in the garage (well, one gets kicked out onto the driveway). I have to change my driving style a little.With the HCH, I learned how to be subtle with the gas and brake to maximize mileage. The Prius' electronics seem to just take care of that for you.

I think I like the interior appointments in the HCH better - less hard plastic, better quality. But the Prius has better pickup and driving on electric-only is cool. The fold-down seats will be convenient for carrying long items from Home Depot.

Mike

P.S. Are there any others on this site who own both Honda and Toyota hybrids?
    Here is an article that backs up the price of used Prius II. Note the older Prius are not getting that kind of resale. Until supply catches up with demand as it seems to be doing, the resale will remain high. I don't think cars with high mileage (70k miles plus) will enjoy that resale value. You can expect that with the RH until all buyers are satisfied.

LOS ANGELES - Sheila Catoira wanted a fuel-efficient Toyota Prius hybrid so badly, she found a used model online and paid $1,000 more than the car would have cost new.

http://katu.com/consumernews/story.asp?ID=76981
    I think people are really foolish to pay that type of money! But heck... people are paying $500 to see Star Wars first!!!!!!!! Suckers are born every day. Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    In the Windy City the want-ads show '04 & 05 Prius cars going for considerably high resale figures as of late. The demand seems ever stronger too when last I spoke to a friend that is in "The Business". The news continues to be practically nothing but positive on the Prius. Did I expect this back a year and a half ago when I took the plunge. Lets face it....In the earlier months many Prius buyers were the brave hearts that boldly took the first steps into the hybrid world, with maybe the exception of Honda's Insight (which came 1st).
    What I like most to tell future hybrid buyers is to get out and test drive the hybrid you like. If you can't drive one right away then check one out (especially da Prius) for room, quality, design, inovativeness, and value. Check out the awards...there are lots. Read what the various car critics have to say. You decide. I get a little happy from time to time when I see the praises that continue to roll in on MY PRIUS. Hey! when I occasionally do buy gas there always seems to be someone who wants to know..."is that all it really takes to fill up? Thirteen Dollars and change?" :)
    future hybrid buyers

You are a prime candidate to sell your Prius then get on the list for another one. You may be able to upgrade to the top model without spending anymore money...
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    AM I?.............MIGHT I? I must be getting wealthy from all the $$$$$$ I save on fuel!!

See what yer missing?

I got a lot of responsability spreading the word about the little green car that could. Chooo Chooo!

Remember....Just like the lady pumping premium gas into a 38 gallon tank on her Hummer, I had to explain that there was no plug and all it took to fill-up was $13.00 and change. Remember...When I left she was still pumping @ $74.00.
    Remember?
    Railroadjames(free-us Prius)
  • wmedwmed Member Posts: 2
    Was your Prius able to pull the long/steep grades from Bishop up to around Lee Vining without exhausting the battery and having to slow down?

Anyone else have input on pulling long, steep grades?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't know if this counts, since it wasn't my car, but my sister who owns a Prius came to visit me. She had no problems driving up the Grapevine from Bakersfield to Lebec/Frazier Park, then higher to our mountain home.
    wmed,
    Hi ! Driving up Hwy 395 was no problem for speed. The batt pack did drop into a "purple" mode, which I've never seen before. As soon as I got back to the downhill/flat roadways it perked right back up. A couple of times I "maxed out" the green batt indicator. I've gone over Donner Pass (I-80 back and forth to Reno) at 7227 ft without a hitch.
  • wmedwmed Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. The ability to handle grades like those was my last unknown in deciding whether or not I'd be happy with a Prius.
    Welcome to the forum. A couple things. Your link to TCC did not work. Most of the readers on here watch all these threads so it is not necessary to use multiple posts. Have you had any trouble with your Prius? Keep us posted on how well you like the car.
    Hi gang,
    OUCH! I backed out of a parking stall and just put it in drive when another car backed out of his stall (across from me) before I could get out of the way. The result....pushed in my left rear pass door and scraped up the side back to the taillight. No injuries, just that sickening "thud" when metal meets metal. We have the same insurance company. One body shop (my shop choice) says they'll have to replace the "skin" that makes up the outside of the back door, remove the rear triangle window, top trim (to eliminate "tape shadow" ) and remove the driver's door to get both doors to match paint exactly. They're talking 7 days to do the job. I am getting another estimate tomorrow (their shop choice) so let's see how it goes. I'm qualified for a free rental car....but it probably won't get 47 mpg!!
    I'll keep you posted on how repainting goes and if it looks original. I told my shop choice I want genuine Toyota parts. My belief is whenever you try to rebuild or repaint a panel or joint, it's never the same again.
    Wish me luck,
    Rich
    Rich,
    Now is your chance to get a Salsa Red Prius. It would be best to paint the whole car to get a perfect match. Good luck, that is no way to spend the weekend....
  • ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    The only time I've ever done a climb like that is when we drive up to Big Bear from LA. We gop skiing up there a couple of times a season. The energy does get all used up and I end up running on the ICE for a little bit. It slowed some but still kept up with most the traffic going up the mountain. (Except of course for those crazies who live up, know all the turns and drive their 8 cyl. gas guzzlers).
    Are you considering buying a Prius but turned off by the idea of the software glitches reported at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef64fbc/0? If you are reconsidering your place on the waiting list or other efforts to shop for a Prius, and are willing to share your perspective with a journalist, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 20, 2005 with your daytime contact information and city/state of residence.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

FYI - Here's a link to the add-in button to allow EV-only operation. Has anyone had the courage to try it yet? Is there any way for Toyota to know you've installed it (warranty issues) or can you just remove the evidence at service time?

This sounds really tempting for some of my 1-2 mile runs to the store, etc.

Mike

http://www.coastaletech.com/electric_only_mode.htm
    Am I missing something in the mediot stories about people flipping their new Priuses within weeks for an extra $1000?

What about the transaction costs, namely the taxes!? I think sales tax on a car in socal is 8.25%, plus title. That's $2300 on a $28,000 car.
    I finally test drove a Prius last weekend (blue, #6). I was prepared to buy the car assuming the drive went well, and given the incredible love for the car on this and other boards, I was sure that it would. It didn't!

I'm 6'3" and all legs, so I often have leg room problems in smaller cars (except hondas and acuras which have nice looooong tracks for the driver's seat), but i've never had the kind of fit problems like I had in the Prius. The driving position was impossible for me; it felt like I was sitting in a bumper car with my knees totally splayed around the wheel. This of course meant that I didn't get any thigh support, not that the too short seat would have provided much anyway.

What was particularly disappointing was that with the driver's seat all the way back, there was still a ton of leg room in the backseat behind me. In other words, if toyota had just made the track longer on the driver's seat, I would have been able to fit.

Then I tried the back seat, and my head hit the roof of the car! I've never experienced that in any car (like I say, I'm basically all legs so headroom is never a problem). That's obviously an incredibly dangerous situation, so even if I'd fit in the front I don't think I would have bought the car.

I don't really understand who's buying this car, given that I'm not so unusually tall.

Anyone know the demographics of Prius buyers? Perhaps they're mostly women, who are more likely to fit?

As for the drive performance, I thought it was okay, just about at my relatively low expectations. The engine was pretty peppy and the handling was fine.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next hybrid...
    You have a good point. I ordered a 2004 Prius and waited nine months for it. I had to buy another car before it arrived, so when it finally came I offered it for sale for MSRP + the sales taxes I paid. (I would make a little on discounts I had received from the dealer and Toyota.) This was for a silver Prius with no miles (or whatever it would come off the truck with). I had some interest but no offers. This was in July 2004, when waiting lists were longer than they are today.
    FWIW, I'm 5'9.5", 32" inseam, and my hair brushes the roof in back also. The back isn't made for tall people, but then I don't know any fastback-style cars that have good headroom in back. Short adults and kids would be fine. Maybe that's the demographic--singles or couples or families with 1-2 young children. There's a lot of those kind of buyers around.

Since you like the seats in Hondas, you might try the Accord Hybrid or even the Civic Hybrid.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    After a very short sit in a new Prius while waiting for my new Highlander to be detailed for delivery, it seemed to me that the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough for me either, and I am only 6 ft. I am not like most drivers, I guess, as I DO like to sit so my arms and legs can extend, and consequently have passed on several cars over the years due to driver's seats that don't provide me my desired "fit" (even when it seems there is sufficient room for the track to go back further.)

In thinking about why the manufacturers might do this, I wonder if there is a seat to shoulder belt fitmet issue, dictated by "B" pillar placement.

Edit/addition...When I have the driver's seat in our (now my daughter's) 2003 Camry where I liked it, I found the driver's door armrest too far forward for me to use.....
    I've noticed that too. Interesting is that there is tons of headroom in the Prius. There is definitely more room to make the seat go back and I don't know why they designed it that way. I've heard the hybrid accord (or reg accord) is even tighter. One thing that is nice is that there is no center console to bump your leg against.
  • mamatoadmamatoad Member Posts: 2
    I was hot into the car-buying market about 2-3 months ago and was seriously looking at a Prius. HOWEVER, when I found out what kind of so called "deal" I was going to get, I backed off and doubt that I would EVER buy a Prius or even a Toyota ever.

Interesting....if I bought a Prius, the trade in on my current vehicle (2004) would be $3000 LESS than if I traded it in on any other car in the lot. This is NOT an assumption - its what the salesman point blank told me. I have to attest to the salesman's honesty, but if this is the way Toyota does business, it will never be a car that I would bother to own. Somehow is THIS the way Toyota and their dealerships get THEIR tax breaks?

An angry would-be buyer.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Just keep in mind that this is the attitude of the particular dealer that you were at. I know that wouldn't be the case at all dealers by far. So far, on Prius' and HH's it is just like purchasing a Saturn in that at most dealers there isn't any negitiation off of the MSRP, but they also aren't selling for more than MSRP (ADM stickers). Please don't assume that the bad practices of one or a few dealers means that that is how Toyota dealers work with their customers as a whole or that Toyota condones such conduct by dealers either. I would check out another local dealer and see if there is a difference in attitude before making a decision about the product or dealer network as a whole. Just my $.02

Ken