Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The tax credit in the energy bill is independent of model year, but absolutely dependent on when you take delivery of the car. The car must not be delivered to you and put in service until after Jan.1 to qualify for the credit. And keep in mind: there is a soft cap of 60,000 credits PER MANUFACTURER. For most car makers, this is hardly relevant. For Toyota [including the Lexus brand], it is likely that they will run through their allocated tax credits in 6-9 months - so not only does delivery have to be after 1/1/06, but before the first 60k folks buy any brand of Toyota-made hybrid.

To say this will have a temporary distorting effect on demand for Prius, Highlander H, Lexus RX-H, etc. is probably an understatement. What it will do to pricing depends solely on how many informed people put off a purchase until after the first of the year - right now, media coverage of the tax credit and its limitations has not been widespread or well-reported. Once it is, I expect to see some demand pushed from the 4th quarter of '05 into the first two quarters of '06. We shall see....
  • rsharprsharp Member Posts: 103
    I am considering a Prius for 2006. I currently have a Honda Pilot and that would be going to my wife to replace her 10 yr old mini van. I drive way more than she does so she would give the Pilot a longer shelf life. I drive quite a bit around town and I have to haul things most every day, not heavy things just bulky stuff. So I need a hatchback and when I look around the Prius is a nice sized hatchback that can ride 4 comfortably, has adequate cargo room and as a bonus gets outstanding mileage. (Not to mention the gee wiz techno-gadget factor which appeals to me as well).

Here is my issue. The few people I know who have a Prius all fall into the extreme left wing, tree hugging, vegan, green eco type. (Which I have no real problem with if that is your cause or your thing) Well, that is not me at all. And just because I drive a type of car I am wondering if all of a sudden I will be lumped in with the eco-extreme crowd?

Anyone have any experience with people's reactions? I guess I could put a rush Limbaugh bumper sticker on the Prius and really confuse people!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'd make my decision based on the vehicle, not the presumed image of those who drive it!

And before we go off into any tree hugging/anti tree hugging rants here, let's just stick with discussing the Prius and help keep this a place where we can escape from some of the angst of the day! :)
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I'm buying an '06 too and I don't care what anyone thinks of what I'm driving. I'd be more concerned about driving a gas guzzling SUV these days.
    Well done post and quite concise (as usual). Thanks for the briefing.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The few people I know who have a Prius all fall into the extreme left wing, tree hugging, vegan, green eco type.

I would not worry about that. Conservatives should also consider them to save money. After all that is a very conservative concept. I would be more concerned with people coming up asking for my autograph, thinking I was Leonardo de Caprio :)
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    there is a soft cap of 60,000 credits PER MANUFACTURER.

Check out the tax credits and incentive forum. I posted a different interpretation of the law regarding the 60,000 quota which is a little different than what's been posted. Bottom line: you don't have to be one of the first 60k buyers.

otis1, "Tax credits / incentives for hybrids?" #79, 17 Aug 2005 11:56 pm
  • aleknitaleknit Member Posts: 6
    If your buying for image, get a lamborgini.. I got a prius because of the ride, the gas it saves and yeah.. because it is green.. green as in dollars it saves me nowadays passing them gas stations..

this is my 3rd toyota, and each one has been better then the last one. Kudos to toyota for giving the public a great car at a reasonable price..

btw.. we need a new smiley! can we get a lemon with a X in it, meaning no lemons..
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The 60k has some wiggle room - but not at the full level of the initial credit.
  • tucker9tucker9 Member Posts: 2
    I'm debating between the safety features in the 2005 PRIUS Package 4 and the sound system in Package 5. If I go with Package 4, and add the optional 6CD changer, can I easily upgrade the speakers? Any ideas on where my SIRIUS radio cam safely be installed? I routinely transport rescue dogs and want leather, weathermats and the rear bumper guard. Should I get these items installed at the dealer here in North Carolina or after market?
  • priusprius Member Posts: 6
    :mad: I put down my deposit of $500 in May at Libertyville Toyota, I was told that in 90 to 120 days I would have my "no option" Prius. I received a call yesterday that my car had to be "special order" because I had no options. My Prius could be here by November. Has anyone in the Chicago land area had this problem? Does anyone think if I put a option package on my order I would get it faster? or is the demand so high that it is taking this long now?
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    It is rare that someone will order a Prius without any options. That's why they're so hard to find. Try and find a dealer that will try and find one with minimal equipment. That may increase your chances. If you can wait for the 06 model you may luck out even more with the tax credit. You'll also have the updated Prius which has slight appearance mods and other assorted goodies. Good luck!
  • blackkatblackkat Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new Prius and was almost strong armed by the dealer to get the extended warranty and the maintenance package which I declined based on my experience with Toyota's. What is the general feeling in regards to this warranty on this vehicle?

Thanks.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "So I need a hatchback and when I look around the Prius is a nice sized hatchback that can ride 4 comfortably, has adequate cargo room and as a bonus gets outstanding mileage."

Just make sure it meets your criteria for bulky cargo, and weight capacity. A Prius has a lot less cargo capability than a Pilot. You might be better off with the Hybrid Highlander or Ford Escape. But both cost more and get less mileage.

Also, if you trips are short you may not achieve the mileage you expect.

Personally, I could care less what people think about me based on what I drive. I do drive a smaller SUV (Honda CR-V), because I need the space, and it serves my purposes. Plus it is resonably good on MPG and doesn't cost a mint to purchase.

Buy the car that suits your needs and budget!
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    What the heck is the maintenance pkg? I know the "extended Warr." is reasonable since the Prius has only the "hybrid components" @ 8yrs/100K. The rest is the usual 36/3yr warrantee.
    I've heard that the extended warr is available thru various after dealer outfits ....Buyer beware. Find one with a favorable reputation. The costs seem to be in the range of 900-1200 bucks as I have experienced.
    You said the dealer "strong armed you." Too bad. Most Toyota dealers are not usually that hard sell.
    Get back to us soon.
    Railroadjames
    I believe the poster is referring to the prepaid maintenance which is a waste of money. As to the extended warranty, it can be had for $985. As railroadjames said, caveat emptor.
  • sappel1sappel1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all! Newbie here...I found this site completely by accident (gotta love Google). Been watching for a few days and could not resist commenting here. Frankly, I don't give a rat's patootie what kind of image I portray by driving my Prius.

I probably would be classified by most here as THE anti-Prius type; early 30's, conservative Republican (the only one in my family. My parents are disappointed to say the least), Federal employee in Counter-Terrorism field. You don't want to know my opinion on some "leftist" issues. I have owned 3 gas-sucking SUV's (including a V8 Dodge-10MPG). I currently still have my '99 4Runner with 175,000. So, I doubt I could be called a "friend of the environment" by the left. Why did I buy a Prius? Simple! (I may be a Conservative, but I'm practical). Show me another car with the Prius styling (so many cars today all look alike, particularly SUV's) plus family-friendly 5-door practicality, tons of room, comfortable ride and (did I mention) 50+MPG!! Plus, HID lights, fog lamps, side curtain airbags and SmartKey for less than $24,000. I looked at it as a fantastic value for the money. The "extra" for me was the gas savings. I drive about 165 miles roundtrip every day for work. I went from an '05 Scion Tc to an '05 Prius package #4. Tc was a great car. Fun to drive, plenty of power, great features, etc. I just saw the Prius as a better value overall. In the first 1,500 miles of ownership I only fill up once every 6-7 days instead of every other day. Average gas savings per month is $185. My insurance went DOWN because of the safety features.

Yeah, some people will never "get" the Prius because of the "fear of technology" thing. That happens. Look at how many people were afraid of that "new-fangled horseless carriage thing". Some people will shy away for fear of being labeled a "greenie" or a "tree-hugging hippie". If they're too close-minded to realize the practicality or to see this new technology as the way of the future, oh well. More Prius' available for us!
    These days some dealers are always attempting to find new and inventive ways to add profits to their cash drawer. You might say..."creative marketing to get you to spend more than usual."
    I do think that the Hybrids are cars worthy of "extended warr." add ons, due to the complexity of the cars and the possible higher cost of repairs these days that effect all cars not just hybrids. Better to be safe and secure and not sorry. I presently have 23K miles on my Prius with nary a thing to complain about. Milage is fairly consistant ...in the range of 48-53 mpg's. Whats not to like with nearly $3.00 a gal gas.
    Railroadjames ( I wonder if rationing could be around the corner?) (think about it...its happened B/4) (Look out Hummers and Escalades..etc) :sick:
    Welcome to the Forum.

If you drive that much the Prius is a good choice. Do you get to use the carpool lanes in your area? Did you get a break off of MSRP? Good luck with your new car & keep us posted on your Prius experience.
  • rsharprsharp Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the Prius family is pretty broad which is what I had hoped was the case. I find it interesting that the marketing materials for the Prius really target the eco-green aspects of the car and of course Hollywood types latched on to that and made the Prius a symbol. It will be interesting to see if Toyota changes their message somewhat in future marketing.

I suspect that more and more people will be interested in a sales pitch that says the Prius is a midsize family car that is versatile, affordable, gets outstanding mileage and has all the comforts you would expect. Over the pitch of Prius being a "green" car and full of new technology that people don't understand.

Of course with gas prices as they are Toyota won't have to do much marketing anyway.
  • sappel1sappel1 Member Posts: 2
    Here in MD/DC/NOVA, hybrids can use HOV lanes even if there's only one person in the car. Unfortunately, with the popularity of hybrids, the HOV's are becoming corwded.

I paid sticker for the Prius. No dealer in this area is offering any breaks as the cars are either sold before off the truck or within minutes after. Most places around here don't even have one availabel for a test drive. The one I bought had been ordered by someone. When he came in with his wife to get it, she decided she did not like it and wanted a Sienna instead. My fiancee and I test drove it on a Monday night. I called back Tuesday afternoon to say I'd take it (after calling around and finding NO ONE had any in stock) and found it had been sold already! Then, 2 days later I get another call from the salesman (jonathan). He said that the other salesman's customers had failed to qualify for financing, so the car was mine if I still wanted it. I immediately put a $500 hold on it. It was not my first choice for color (Driftwood) or package (#4). But when I found out that I'd have to wait 6 months if I orderded one, I realized I could live with the car as it is. Maybe it's just the new car euphoria, but I like it more and more every day I drive it!
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I was wondering if anyone has paid attention to the Edmunds Special Report which casts a skeptical light on the long term cost effectiveness of Hybrids.

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/105827/article.html?tid=edmunds.h..pressrelease..1- .*

I was especially concerned about how the Prius will actually cost me almost $10,000 over a 5 year period compared to a comparable Civic/Corrola. I believe the Edmunds report assumes $2.50/gallon gas and factors in the $3000 tax credit in the new energy bill. So i'm now uncertain about whether or not a hybrid is even worth it.

Is there any discussion on this board or elsewhere on this report. I was just curious on poeple's viewpoints on the Edmunds report.
    Thanks for popping by. I am surprised you traded a Tc for the Prius. The Prius does have more content, but the Tc is really a nice looking coupe/hatch and has great value, just not the mileage. Enjoy your Prius and let is know how you're doing. I've had mine since 11/03 with nary an issue. Runs like the day I got it. Can't beat that!! The recent gas increases don't even bother me. Eventually they will, as the trickle down effect with prices on other goods will certainly be effected.
    I wouldn't take any of those reports at face value. Depreciation is a big component that is NOT a cost outlay. If you keep your car till it dies, depreciation is NOT an issue. I don't even know how they figure the depreciation since the hybrids (especially the Prius and HCH) are keeping their resale values quite high. For 26k you get a fully loaded fantastic automobile. I got rid of a Liberty and have saved over 3 grand in just a year and a half! No brainer for me!!!
    Am i missing something? I looked at that report and for the prius and corrola, the TCO is $29.5k and $26.5k respectively, if you go into the edmunds.com site. with the $3k tax credit, this difference becomes a wash. The numbers are more favorable if you compare the prius to the camry. Where did Edmunds get those numbers they used in the report ($37.8k and $32.6k)- it wasn't from edmunds.com!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Welcome! We hope you make this a regular stop on your internet ventures. The group here is lively, opinionated and extremely helpful (aside from being downright funny at times).
  • priusprius Member Posts: 6
    I have been in contact with Libertyville Toyota, they say my "no option" prius is due to come in but it is in Super White not Salsa REd like I ordered. So I have requested if I put on option 1 how soon can I have my Salsa Red car. They will get back to me.
    You mentioned 06 model will have slight appearance mods and other assorted goodies. What kind of goodies and what slight appearance mods? And what is the added cost of a 06 model?
    The grill is supposed to look a little different. I believe they are discontinuing Salsa Red but will have another variation in that hue. Headlights may have some slight change as well. I think they changed a few other items that will not be visual, but improvements none the less. Don't forget about the tax credit you'll get if you get the 06 delivered after Jan 1. As to price, I believe there was talk of about a $300-500 increase. Not really sure on that one. Will post more info as I read about it. As usual, nothing is etched in stone yet, but the source from some of this info is someone from Toyota.
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    I always find comparisons between the Prius and Corrola onerous as they aren't even in the same size class. The Corolla is sub to compact in size while the Prius is classified as mid-size. Very unfair comparison.

Further, the Prius should be compared to the car it replaces. Getting over twice (21 MPG vs 52 MPG) the mileage from the car my Prius replaces, I find myself saving over $1,800/yr and over $3,500/yr compared to my Lincoln Aviator (which I need for family hauling and towing).
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I always find comparisons between the Prius and Corrola onerous as they aren't even in the same size class. The Corolla is sub to compact in size while the Prius is classified as mid-size. Very unfair comparison. "

If it weren't a hatch back, it would be compact. Having the trunk included in the interior pushes it just into the mid-size by EPA volume. In fact, Edmunds list it as a compact.

In terms of actual size and weight, it is very close to the Corolla.
    Funny thing happened at the gas station yesterday. A 3-piece suit* pulled in next to me and filled up his "HUMMER". (Gas was $2.79.9) All said and done, his pump read 35.6 gallons..&..$ 99.89 Total. My PRIUS fill-up was 8.4 gallons..&..$ 23.51 Total. I figured @ 9 mpg..he'll be back @ 316 miles while I 'll be back @ 421 miles while getting 50 plus MPG's. Interesting ain't it? Just makes you wonder why anyone would drive a "HUMMER" or the like!

* 3 piece suit & a Hummer seem like strange bedfellows to me. Almost an oxymoron. Whats wrong with this picture? ;)

Railroadjames(Want World Peace?..Use your Turn-Signal)
    3 piece suit & a Hummer seem like strange bedfellows to me.

It may be to portray the perception of wealth. It is all about image. Not much other reason to drive a Hummer. They are not that great a vehicle. Some people drive a Prius to present a certain image. Some drive a Hummer. I would say they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. You do seem to be attracted to the Hummers. Does your alter ego really want one in the driveway? I don't see either filling my needs or desires in a vehicle. Remember he is contributing a lot more tax dollars to the maintenance of our roads and bridges than the person driving a Prius.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In other words, if the Prius were not a mid-sized car, it would be a compact?

If someone is going to compare the Corolla and Prius, they should at least compare the hatchback version of the Corolla--Matrix--to the Prius. Very comparable in interior room and utility. Prius still has more rear-seat leg room, however.
  • rasmanrasman Member Posts: 10
    took delivery last week, I LOVE this car, especially whatching gas go up at stations, makes me very happy i'm not driving a gas guzzler anymore. I'm totally impressed. nav system is going to take some time to learn, however will be usefull once i master it, but i may need a masters degree to do so. o well , kinda feels like wem i bought my first computer, not scary, but intimidating, becuase of my lack of familiarty. IF U CAN FIND ONE<<< BUY IT. i was lucky enuogh to get 2000% off packed sticker and a good trade in price for my 03 acura tl. Life is good after gas guzzlers!!!!!!
    Perhaps your alter ego wants a Prius too as demonstrated by your frequent participation in this forum. I would imagine railroad is just using that particular vehicle as a symbol of excessive waste.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I guess if you have to ask that question you will never be lucky enough to own one. Some people make enough money that gas doesn't mean anything to them. They spend more money on their country club membership per year than your Prius cost.
    I definitely can afford a hummer but would NEVER buy one. They're not really expensive. Just ugly, wasteful vehicles. The guy was just trying to make a point.
    Maybe the Hummer is a whipping boy of the eco crowd that loves the Prius. Why not be realistic and take a jab at the real gas wasters. The 100s of thousands of CamCords that get less than half the mileage of the Prius. 2.5 CamCords use as much gas as 1 H2. They have sold 11k Hummer2s this year so far and 471k CamCords. You do the math on the waste of gas. The Hummer is an insignificant user of fossil fuel compared to all the cars on the road. While you are busy patting yourselves on the back you act like those buying the RH & HH are doing their part to save the world. It is all hype. The Prius contributes a little to saving fuel just as the Hummer contributes a lot to the road use tax base. That does not make one owner any better than the other. We all need to cut back on our driving whether we get 2 miles to the gallon or 100 MPG. Remember the guy that drives a big vehicle 5 miles to work uses less gas than the guy in the Prius driving 30 miles to work.
    Just ugly, wasteful vehicles.

Many would say the same of your Bentley GT. They are bigger gas hogs than any SUV the EPA has listed.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's stop talking about each other as that never leads to much good.
    Gary...Now that you mention it, YEs I'd like to own one of them big, macho mechanized Swartzinegger muscle flexers. BUT... that would be in a world of 99 cent a gallon gas or putting it another way.."when pigs fly!!" Who cares that it takes up two parking places and hardly ever fits in any garage except a barn perhaps. Who cares that if a "Hummer bumps into you it'll probably run over you.
    As to my alter ego ....I guess what I'd prefer to entice the hot babes with is an Austin-Martin (James Bond style). It seems to me that our cars do reflect alot about us but not everybody sees us as what we really are...just people going from point "A" to point "B" only some of us choose to make a statement thru, as you put it, our alter egos.
    One thing for sure. We will adapt when fuels become either short of our demands or so expensive that modifications will be in order. That includes you too!! Oh!! And everyone else
    Railroadjames :surprise:
    I'd probably be happy with an S2000 or Boxster for cruisin' chicks. My wife won't let me buy one. I understand what you are saying and agree with most of your posts. I came to Edmund's 6 years ago looking for a decent mileage PU truck. Guess what? They are still not available in this great land of ours. There are small PU trucks the world over that get 45 MPG. Not here we have gas guzzler small PU trucks. You are lucky to get 20 MPG out of the smallest PU available. I am happy they are making a little progress with cars such as the Prius & HCH. What about the other half of the population that don't like driving a 4 door sedan?
  • waltercwalterc Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Anyone have any recent talk about the 'o6 model? I have a chance to buy an '05 but since patience is the only virture I have in abundance, should I wait for more improvements?
    Thanks.
    Walter
    I've read conflicting reports. I know that the Salsa Red will not be an option for '06. There will only be 3 options packages. I did hear something about a different grill but that is still unconfirmed. Overall, pretty much still the same car. Wait for the 06 and get a nice juicy $3100 tax credit. I have my order in already.
  • rasmanrasman Member Posts: 10
    anyone know what the tax break is, i believe its 2000$, can u take an accelerated one time deduction, or does it have to be amortized over several years, best regards all, and thanks to anyone who answers with the facts!!!!
    $2000 deduction. No need to amortize.
    In terms of interior size, it's close to a Camry than a Corolla:

Passenger Volume (Prius/Camry/Corolla) 96/102/90
    Wheelbase (Prius/Camry/Corolla) 106.3/107/102.4
    Front Leg Room (Prius/Camry/Corolla) 41.9/41.6/41.3
    Rear Head Room (Prius/Camry/Corolla) 38.6/37.8/35.4

I wouldn't have thought Passenger Volume would include a trunk calculation.
    I also wanted to add that in terms of weight, the Prius' curb weight is 2,890 lbs, the Camry 3,108 lbs and the Corolla 2,530 lbs. In fact the Prius is closer in weight to the Camry (218) than the Corolla (-360).
    I wasn't trying to compare the prius to a corolla. if you re-read my post, I was wondering where edmunds got their numbers. If they use the numbers on the edmunds.com TCO, the prius and the corolla cost the same in a 5 year period and the prius is CHEAPER compared to the camry.

I was wondering why that edmunds report used different numbers to skew the results.