Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• seroqseroq Member Posts: 12
    This is the third time I am posting this message and have gotten only one response. Occasionally the blue lines on the battery on the Energy Monitor screen turn green and extend up to the top of the battery. Can someone tell me what this means?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It only means that you have gone to near full charge ... to the driver it signigies nothing different.. just keep driving. The more you drive - on a specific trip - the more often the green lines will occur. It does allow you to drive more in EV mode but the hybrid computer will take care of that for you.

You might find that you can coast somewhat longer with a 'green' battery than a blue or pink one. That's about it.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Toyota has been supplying Camry sedans with optional hybrid powertrains from its plants in Japan since April of this year. Now, in response to vigorous consumer demand, the Georgetown plant will begin working on an order backlog of some 5000 Camry Hybrids, with initial production at an annual rate of 60,000 units. The hybrid version will be produced on the same lines as conventionally powered Camrys.

The Georgetown launch will be marked by a ceremony in which keys to several of the first hybrids off the line will be handed to distinguished guests. One Camry Hybrid will be driven by the Mayor of Lexington, Kentucky; another by the staff of Kentucky's Environmental Protection Administration; and soon thereafter by rangers in Yellowstone, America's first national park.

Read all about it by clicking HERE :)
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Member Posts: 158
    Good post terry, in wrong forum of course. Unless Prius are going to be coming down that line, that is. :=}

So the Mayor gets a free car eh! Explain to me just how that works. Nah, don't bother. I say let him enjoy it, 'cos when those Camry-laden railcars from Toyota start jamming Main Street Lexington in the middle of rush hour the poor blighter's days in office are going to be numbered !!

So anyway I clicked "Here" and got the Toyota sheet on the Camry. And it has errors. Those who might be slightly interested should go to the Camry Hybrid (now read only) forum # 64 for the more accurate data that dewey posted.

The difference between the two drivetrains put up by Usbseawolf is at #470. My feeble ramblings on Advanced Hybrid Eng... are at #115,116. I see that I need to update them because I hadn't seen the #470 diagrams at the time. Now that I see that there is a second planetary for MG2 the figures from # 64 will make sense.

T2
    I don't understand. Errors? On Toyota's own press release about the plant :confuse:

Sorry to have let you down, and posted it under Prius. Since the general discussion forum was shut down, maybe you could suggest where, under Camry, it should go.....
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Good point. Maybe under Mini Cooper. Not sure how that ended up in the hybrid forum. I thought the Camry hybrid thread was a pretty good one. Too many to follow now.
  • mhumble73mhumble73 Member Posts: 4
    Is it just my Prius (2006) or does everone else feel when the gas engine turns off? I can tell about 30-40% of the time, there's a slight jerk, nothing major but enough to let me know the gas engine cut off...maybe that's just the nature of the synergy system? Thanks for any feedback.
    Many have posted they can "feel" or sense it turning on. It doesn't seem to be unusual, or a problem... :)
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    From Sept 7, 2000:

I drove a Prius today. I went home had my wife
    drive it. It has more than enough acceleration for
    our San Diego Freeways. I was to 75 before I
    realized. So quiet, so roomy ( I rode in the back
    seat). It is definitely the car of the future.
    Kinda ugly like the VW bug. But for 52 MPG around
    town it is beautiful. And a warranty to die for 8 years on the drive train. Toyota wants this car to succeed. I hope it does.

that's pretty funny...... :shades:
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Here is a post from a Prius buyer on 11-03-2000:

I paid MSRP for the car ($20450) and have the
    impression that one cannot bargain for a lower
    price -- that Toyota is making little or nothing
    on the car at MSRP. In California, a $2000
    tax rebate is available, I have heard.

I can't find a lot of more references to early prices paid, but you can bet he's not the only person in the USA who got a Prius for $20,450.
    So you can see that ignorance was bliss?

I did like it. And thought the price at $20k was fair. Now a loaded Prius in San Diego is $31,725. And no 8 year bumper to bumper warranty. Not such a good deal.
    I think that guy got gouged early on. The official MSRP was $20k. The sales pitch was that the car cost Toyota $35k to build and they were just trying to get them out on the roads.

I really thought it was a no brainer with all the fancy gadgets and the 8 year warranty and service. The salesman told me the free 8 years of service was to keep prying eyes out of the car.

Just so you know where I started to lose interest. Shortly there after I ran into a fellow at the Firestone store with a Prius. I asked him how he liked it. All but the tires. He already was buying new tires with a very few miles. Plus they were special order and expensive. Of course the LRR tires have been a real issue on the Prius. To not get 40k miles on OEM tires was not something I would relish.
    Base Price:* $26,200
    Delivery, Processing
    & Handling Fee:** $620
    Total MSRP:*** $26,850 Reno, Nevada

Option Combination #B $970
    - 50 State Emissions (FE)
    - Heated Outside Mirrors [6] (HM)
    - Moonroof Package includes: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sliding Sunshade, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Dimmer Control & Rear Personal Reading Lights (SR)

= $27,790 MSRP

Option Combination #C $3,910
    - 50 State Emissions (FE)
    - Comfort & Convenience Package Includes: Heated Front Seats and Outside Mirrors. (CQ)
    - Moonroof Package includes: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sliding Sunshade, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Dimmer Control & Rear Personal Reading Lights (SR)
    - Sport Leather-Trimmed Seats & Door Trim w/Integrated Armrests & Dual Front & Rear Map Pockets[15] (LA)
    - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation System[15] w/JBL® AM/FM 4-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/Satellite Radio Capability[7], MP3/WMA Playback Capability, Aux Audio Jack, Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth®[8] Wireless Technology, 8 Speakers in 6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception

= $30,730 MSRP

People here, in Reno, and others as posted in these very forums, are paying $27,000 for the fully loaded Prius. $25,500 or so for the Option "B" one.

The base price on the XLE 6 Cylinder ICE is $28,440 without additions. The XLE 4 is $25,300, making it comparable in price to the the Prius. This is all from Toyota's website.

If someone paid $32,000 for one, they were an idiot, so eager to buy, the dealership smelled them coming a mile away. They deserved to get rooked. :P
    It looks to me like the greedy CA Toyota dealers wanted the whole tax incentive. I think they will sit on them at those prices now. I was into a Toyota place looking at the Tundra and they did have a Prius and at least a dozen FJ Cruisers. No Camry Hybrids. I think the TCH will pass up the Prius this next year. If Toyota does not limit the supply.
    Automobile manufacturers are in the business of selling cars, not limiting them. Selling more, for less, nets them more than selling fewer at higher prices. Their fixed costs demand that.

When I was looking into buying a Prius last year, the pricing in California, Palm Desert specifically, were not the inflated ones some people in these forums are talking about, but rather in line with the MSRP's I posted above for Reno, Nevada.

In 2005 I could have bought a Prius for under the MSRP just like thousands of others actually did, and are doing this year.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I heard a radio ad from the Toyota dealer in Springfield, IL (not far from St. Louis and Chicago) today touting the fact that they have 11 new Prius on the ground--the most they've ever had apparently.
    Yes, and with the US factory now turning out Hybrid Camry's, Japan can concentrate on making more Prius! :)
  • jen611jen611 Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody have any feedback on driving in bad weather conditions? I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra, and my husband drives a Dodge Neon, so I am expacting that by comparison, it can't be much worse. Would upgrading to better tires improve the car's handling of these conditions?

Thank you,
    Jennifer
    If you live in a big snow area, where you have it all the time in the Winter, any cars handling can be improved, and safety increased, by using snow tires.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Some owners are happy with the OEM Goodyear Integrities. Most think they are "OEM Tires", in other words, rim protectors. They switch to different tires and are much happier. I plan on switching to Nokian WR all season tires early in my ownership. We get 6 months of winter here. ;)

There are two issues with winter driving in the Prius:
    1. The OEM Goodyear Integrities are not winter tires or even acceptable all season tires. They have been called "dangerous" in winter conditions by many owners.
    2. The car has to protect the electric drive components from overspinning, and this can cause difficulty in slippery conditions (car will refuse to spin the wheels).

Switching to proper winter tires alleviates these problems, according to most owners.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Try the Toyota Prius Tire/Wheel Questions discussion if you want to get some (pun alert) traction on a tire disucssion! :P
    *GROANS*
  • rembelskirembelski Member Posts: 3
    Help - '05 Prius (40k) has developed an unbelieveably annoying rattle near center/top/right over the display right under the windshield. Thank-you
    KAR
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was involved in a low speed crash today, a TrailBlazer hit a Prius and pushed the Prius into my Miata.

Just wanted to report that the Prius held up the best by far! My rear bumper cracked in half, while the front bumper of the Prius had no visible damage at all!

The rear bumper in the Prius had a couple of small dimples, but again, the TrailBlazer's bumper seemed to do worse.

Not bad for a car that got sandwiched.

If you're an Edmunds member I hope you're OK (everyone seemed OK at the scene).

-juice
    You getting out of that for only $5000 or so in damage was lucky, lucky indeed. ;)
    Dave Hermance, the lead engineer of Toyota's hybrid vehicle development in the U.S., died on Saturday when his small plane crashed into the Pacific Ocean near Los Angeles. He was instrumental in bringing the Prius to the U.S., and his passing is a blow to Toyota's hybrid vehicle program.
    Here is the story on Dave Hermance.

Dave Hermance
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    We've reserved a Prius to be delivered next week but thought I'd share a few observations. First, we very nearly bought the Civic Hybrid instead.

Our first test drive was in Touring-edition Prius as it was the right color and included Package #2 -- and sitting right there on the lot in front of us. Before pulling the trigger we went down the road to the Honda folks and drove the Civic Hybrid which offered a substantially smoother ride. However, it didn't have quite the zip from a standing stop and was a bit harsher getting up to freeway speeds. And, though not really important in the overall picture but odd nonetheless, there is no rear seat center console that lowers nor cupholders.

Again, the color choice and package we wanted in the Civic was on the lot and ready to be bought. But a little bird in the back of my mind said perhaps we should drive the regular Prius first as our biggest complaint with the first drive was the hard ride. So back up the road we went to take out the "regular" Prius on a drive which, to our delight, was much smoother over the ruts and holes I was seeking out around the dealership.

To think that the Touring trim nearly put us off the vehicle is worth noting for shoppers. We live in the mountains and use many sub-standard roads to get around. The Touring's Sport Tuned suspension would have been brutal.

Otherwise, it was almost a coin-toss between to two vehicles both with many positives and few negatives. Perhaps the most influential factor in making the decision was the vehicle stability control in the Pruis, absent in the Civic. With a nice fresh coat of cold snow around Denver I was able to take both cars into big, empty shopping center parking lots and throw them around. The Pruis was clearly the better car in this situation. Honda had better get this technology included in the next version of the Civic Hybrid.

By the way, with our first big winter storm buyers are swithing off the sedans and shopping SUVs -- plenty of inventory in the area for both cars.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I've never driven the HCH, but a previous rental experience with a 2004 Prius left me with a very unfavorable impression of car, due to what I perceived as "soft", "floaty" and "numb" handling. The advent of the Touring Edition made me take another look, and I'm happy to say that it addressed my previous concerns, to the point that I bought one yesterday.

What constitutes "acceptable" ride and handling is obviously subjective, and I'm glad that Toyota now offers both.
  • joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    I hope you don't mind a newbie posting. Since I will be buying a new car soon, I decided I would test drive a Prius today. I really liked it, except the brakes were REALLY sensitive. Is this something normal for a Prius? I also didn't much like the price tag. For a supposedly large dealership in Florida, they have just a few on the lot. I wrote down some info on the car I drove: MSRP 22,175, package 3 (2550), Toyota Guard protection (699.00) PLUS market value adjustment (2500). Sticker price on the car was $28,625.28.

Now if I travel across the state, there is a dealership who has about 50 available immediately. I would be very happy with package 2. Out the door price at that dealership for package 2 is about $24,000. They would be willing to deliver the car to me.

Is this 2500 market valve adjustment something normal for the Prius?
    At one time it was quite common. However, I think the mandate now is to stick to MSRP as the Toyota dealership ratings were getting tanked by dissatisfied shoppers cranky with both the markups and delayed deliveries. I guess the bounty wasn't worth the bad word-of-mouth for friends and families interested in Tundras, Camrys and 4Runners. Regionally, here in the Rocky Mountains, dealers I've called have been emphatic about there being no arbitrary markups. Its seems that may not be the case in your area.
    RIght after my last post I saw this story at CNN.com..

"Car Buyers Hit Brakes on Prius

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/29/news/international/bc.toyota.usa.reut/?postversi- on=2006112920

I'd print this out and take it into your dealer and demand MSRP at the very least. Or, walk.
  • akollerakoller Member Posts: 15
    I am the new owner of a red 2007 Prius Package 2 and am delighted to join this group of happy owners. I was offered a package 5 but didn't want the beige interior, since I'm too messy to survive the lighter color fabric. I am shopping to see what is available to replace the single disk CD with a 6 disk changer and Sat radio, XM or Sirius, doesn't matter. Can anyone offer specific suggestions please?

Thanks.

AK
  • dbrandondbrandon Member Posts: 2
    The rear seat on the passenger side has a plastic grid that is about 7" long and 2" wide.
    Anyone know what that is?

Thanks
    It's in your manual toward the beginning. It's ultra critical ( seriously ). It's the air intake for the the airflow that keeps the batteries cool.

Do NOT Block this vent! The batteries can overheat if there isn't an airflow.
  • gpostgpost Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Toyota Prius (package 3 I think)that we bought new in late August 2006. We are relocating and have driven from VA to NY a bunch of times and have put about 7500 miles on it by mid-Dec. So far the car has been great and drives well.
    We took a short trip to Snowshoe Mtn WV and after it had been parked at mountain top for a day (4500' elevation and it stayed above freezing) a 'chirp' developed when the brake pedal is depressed (moving or not). At first I thought it was my rubber boot sliding on the pedal and making the noise. Was not that. Very light pressure on the pedal did not cause the noise and did engage the brakes a bit, but depressing it more than 1/2 inch would cause the chirp from behind the dash near the pedal, fairly loud, not coming from the brakes.
    The next day as we left the mountain it still made the noise. As time went on (and we got down the mountain) the chirp got quieter and now is gone.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Gene
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I've read others reporting this chirp. The consensus was it is the brake pressure pump starting up. As the car can not rely on the engine running for vacuum for the brake booster there is a pump in the car that takes the place of manifold vacuum. So it appears to be "normal". BTW, some of the other reports I've read reported the chirp starting after a visit to a mountain pass.
  • jgwddsjgwdds Member Posts: 2
    Anybody have experience with roof racks on a Prius? I like to carry skis in "Rocket Box" and haul my bikes around on top as well. How nuch does the mpg suffer? Does the car suffer from the drag? Thanks.
  • jgwddsjgwdds Member Posts: 2
    I own two cars with 6 disk CD changers and XM radio. I rarely use the CD changers and almost always listen to XM radio or NPR. In other words, I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy a 6 disk changer again. Hope this helps. JGWDDS
  • esuommesuomm Member Posts: 19
    Give Crutchfield a call. Sorry delayed response, new to this board.
  • ltnunesltnunes Member Posts: 1
    I am researching the Prius brake Noise (chirp). This noise started in my 2006 Prius (at less that 8,000 miles). I noticed it during my commute in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have driven the car up and over the Sierra Nevada mtns. once - but the noise did not start on that trip. I have had the car into the dealer 3 times for repair. The noise escallated to happening every time I started the car; whether or not the brake was depressed. The technician diagnosed the problem as part of the ABS system. The brake actuator was was replaced. The noise reappeared after several weeks, and Toyota recommended that the brakes be bled due to the possibility of air in the lines. That was done. The repair lasted a couple of weeks and reappeared again. Toyota sent a technician to my local dealer to evaluate the issue. His recommendation was to bleed the system again. I do not have confidence that this is the final solution since it's does not appear that the source of the problem has been found.

In addition to the chirp, the car developed the rough stopping issue also reported by others. It's as though the brakes were grabbing - a smooth stop was not possible by anyone driving the car. The solution for this was to resurface the rotors, and sand/clean the brake pads. This seems like an inappropriate issue for a car with 11,000 miles - mainly freeway driving.

I'm interested in hearing from others who are having similar issues.
    Nothing like this yet on mine. 14 mos's and 37,000 mi.

I have a friend who's at 36 mo's and 135,000 miles with no issues at all save worn fabric and he's still on his original brakes.
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    News Item from Automotive News:

Amid all the recent talk in Washington about raising fuel economy standards, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. was quietly trying to work off a backlog of unsold Prius hybrids by offering the first incentives on the fuel-saving hatchback. Seven of Toyota's 12 U.S. sales regions were offering a low lease payment, cut-rate finance deals or cash to the dealer for each unit sold.
  • kurtggkurtgg Member Posts: 4
    The Automotive News article also points out that Prius sales DROPPED in 06 compared to 05.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A very slight drop, and expected with the availability of the Camry hybrid in 2006.
    Within 1% of the target which was the same target as the year before. Essentially it hit its goal.

Now this year 3 months into the 4th year of this model's life it's acting just like any other vehicle. It's not new, astonounding, innovative or cutting edge. It's just a car. Typically in the final years of a model incentives are the norm rather than the exception. OK the Corolla was an exception last summer but that was due to forces outside the norm.
  • zacwarezacware Member Posts: 17
    One of our 2 minivans just died, and we're not only tired of the minivan thing, we're even more tired of burning gallon after gallon of gasoline. We'd really like to go with a Camry Hybrid or Prius. My wife hates the Camry entirely due to the trunk size and lack of a true pass through (doesn't meet "Soccer Mom" standards). She loves the Prius, but my daily commute during the week is a combined 25 minutes on 40-50 mph rural roads combined with another 25 minutes of 75 mph super highway traffic. I've read reviews about the Prius not being a "highway" car due to seat comfort, ride and handling issues. Plus the comment that it's really not designed to operate at 75 MPH effectively. Can anyone comment on real-world experience in this regard? Is the prius really best as a city car, or can it provide day to day comfort in the driving scenario I describe. Yes, I've test driven it, but its hard to gauge doing this type of daily commute from a test drive! (wish I could rent one!)
    I've got a similar commute to yours although 70 is about the max on the interstate segment. I've had my Prius since Nov '05 and now have 39000 miles on it. The four previous commuters were LE Camry's.

A) My commute is 75 mi each way, 15 of which is at about 30-40 mph and 60 of which is about at 60-70 mph.
    B) Overall fuel economy for the Prius now is 48.1 mpg ( 51 in summertime and 45 in wintertime )
    C) I like the position and the support of this Prius better than any of the other 4 Camry's, or the current one. It's a lot firmer.
    D) I do like very much the electric power steering ( EPS ) that the Prius offers. I find it very very precise in handling. It does eliminate 'road feel' but with this smany miles it could float for all I care I have no interest in 'feeling the road'. There is no play in the wheel.
    E) With a relatively high profile and somewhat narrow width it is prone to being buffetted in the wind.

F) The Prius will do much better in slower driving situations like suburban or city streets. It can easily do 75 or 85 mph on the highway but I feel that the 1.5L ICE is on the small side for the size and the weight of this vehicle. OTOH the 2.4L in the TCH is better matched to the larger size and weight of that vehicle. When driving on the HWY at say 75 mph it's the ICE that is primarily driving the vehicle.

I switched out of Camrys after 16 years of commuting in them. I think that the Prius is much better than any of the past 4. As your wife notes it is more useful. I've had a 43" flatscreen and briefcase and set of golf clubs in the back of the Prius.
    I've not found the Prius (2007/pkg#4) to be particularly prone to wind buffeting after having driven it around in the nasty, down-slope and blizzardy winds we've had around Denver the past few weeks. More than our Volvo S60, less then our Grand Cherokee. I've been in minivans that really get buffeted around when you're quartered behind a semi and it's nothing like that.

I hated the driving position at first but eventually got used to it after using the same setting as my wife but sliding it back. I had been trying a semi-reclined position ala the Volvo but it was killing my shoulders and neck. The steering wheel does not telescope.

Be sure you test both the Touring and non-touring suspensions as they are quite different in feel, with fans for both setups. To each his own. (We very nearly passed on the Pruis based on our first test drive with one model, but tested again with the other and found it enough to our liking to buy the car.)

Our typical drive is similar to yours though shorter. Five miles of twisty mountain road at 35 mph; 10 miles of county highway at 45; 20 miles of interstate. All downhill one way, uphill coming back. Averaging 45-48 right now with Colorado's winter oxygenated blend and the application of "lips" -- foam inserts on the grill to keep the engine running warmer. (Everything you'd ever want to know about this over at the PriusChat.com "Modifications" forum. Use at your own risk.

I haven't been out and about with the car at speed for any long trips but am continuously surprised at how many of them are showing up at ski area parking lots. Those folks are braver or better drivers than am I -- or have switched to snow tires.

Your wife apparently has vetoed the Camry hybrid but let me add that my brother-in-law just got one and really loves it.

Good luck with your decision, Phil
  • rbillymacrbillymac Member Posts: 6
    I've been reading many of the messages here and on accessories and haven't found any that respond to this. I have an 06 pkg 6, dark gray interior. The padded segments of the dash are a dark gray but just below the blowers right and left of the LCD display it's a tacky looking faux metal that is really a thin metal flake-like paint over a light gray plastic. Has anyone else found a close match from a parts store like an Autozone. I'd hate to walk into one and say I need to take about 15 of your spray paint can lids outside and compare them to my dashboard.

Putting 3 tons less crap a year into the air,
    rbillymac