Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

Comments

• ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    I commute 30 miles to work - all freeways. I've had the car for a couple of weeks. The car handles freeways perfectly - passing power is very good. I've had the Prius up to 95MPH so far and it seemed rather pleased to go that speed. Most of the time, I'm at 75MPH - just staying with the rest of the traffic.

I have the '07 Touring w/#6. I was originally leaning towards an Acura TL Type S, or an Infiniti G35 Sport or a Lexus IS350 (I liked the Lexus best), but I decided the Prius was more exciting and more practical on several levels. While the Prius may not keep up with any of those 3 cars, it is very gratifying to fill the tank with 9 gallons after driving nearly 400 miles. And my mileage keeps on getting better.

I gave up my 260HP Acura CL Type S for the Prius. I loved the Acura, but the Prius has a Zen-like quality to it that makes it very attractive. Oh, and one of my runs to 95MPH was in a "race" with a Civic Hybrid. I know I could have dusted the Civic, but we ran out of room as rush hour traffic was building.

So... If you want a practical, very reliable (according to numerous sources, including Consumer Reports), low maintenance, quiet, comfortable car - definitely consider the Prius.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I was considering a Prius as my next car so I rented one for a week. I drove 1180 miles city and highway. I fell in love with it. You might call your Toyota dealer and ask if in their TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car) program they have one available. My dealer had one. I reserved it ahead and took it on a long trip. The weekly rental with unlimited miles cost $225.00 plus tax. I would say that it's best economy is in city traffic or at most moderate highway speeds. It cruised very comfortably at 75 MPH but the fuel economy drops off quite a bit at these speeds. I currently have an Avalon but am fed up with the transmission behavior and incessant rattles, squeaks, creaks and vibrations. I wanted a car that was spacious inside but had a reputation for quality that all Toyotas used to have. When I read that according to Consumer Reports owner surveys, the Prius has the most satisfied customers (95%) I wanted to try one out. It will be my next car purchased this Fall. Especially now that the dealers don;t have the ability to gouge on prices anymore.
  • dlddvmdlddvm Member Posts: 3
    I am researching the Prius prior to purchasing one, and am just trying to clear up a few questions. First, what effect does the cruise control have on gas mileage? I have read about pulse and glide being most efficient, but I am accustomed to using my cruise almost everywhere. As soon as I get to 35 mph I turn it on and I use it to slow up and down as the speed limit changes along my route. Will that cost me in fuel efficiency? Second, the stories I've read about the traction control locking up the wheels have me spooked. Have they solved this for the 2007 model?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Both good questions.

A) Cruise: It's a personal choice. I find that using my own inputs that get very very slightly better fuel economy by using pulse and glide. On a very long trip cruise is very helpful though. You mentioned putting it on at 35 mph. I definitely wouldn't do this because the HSD is set up so that when you let off the pedal at 41 mph and less the gas engine actually turns off and burns no fuel whatsoever. This is a huge saving. If you set it at 35 mph as soon as it sensed 34.8 mpg it would shoot some gas into the system. You might want to up your setting to say 45 mph and higher.

B) There was definitely an issue with the Traction Ctl System and heavy snow/ice on the earliest Prius'. If you were at a dead stop in deep snow or on ice the TCS would brake the wheels to keep you from spinning out...but then you wouldn't go anywhere.

To address this issue in 2005, beginning with the 2006 models, Toyota modified the TCS to allow some spinning of the wheels to allow the driver to spin and rock themselves out of deep snow.

Pose your question also on PriusChat or GreenHybrid to drivers who live in Canada and the Rockies. Most will tell you it's not a problem.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I own & operate an '04 Prius with 59,000 miles. Just put my 1st set of replacement tires on and am still on my original set of brakes (this is a 1st). Most of all my cars I've ever owned needed brake pads and/or rotors turned at about 32-36 thousand miles. This has been a pleasant surprise. Now.. As to wheel slip. I have noticed after three winters and especially this one with it's heavy snowfall, a pattern unique to the hybrid Prius. There is a completely different feel of the wheel traction with the Prius. Actually, it's more of a lack of it due to the electric mode I think. With three years under my belt and alot of trust in this amazing car I think that its best put by saying this car is rewriting the way a car feels, handles, and reacts to the outside world. One last point: I have come to the surprised amazement that the Prius tracks quite well in heavy snow and it seems to pull even a bit better than many other frontwheel drive cars I've owned. The only noticable disappointment I've had with my Prius is the considerable drop in MPG's when it's severly cold (say in the teens and less). Gas engine runs considerably more to get heat to the heater my guess. Oh! and cruise sure helps to get best MPG's.
    A friend to whom I've sold two Prius' uses his for his mobile office. 135,000 mi in exactly 3 years.

He too is still on his original set of brakes!!!

Tread lightly and this amazing car will continue to surprise and surprise.
  • dlddvmdlddvm Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to everyone for their input. So I took a Prius out today for a couple hours. I must be misunderstanding something about the motor vs the engine at slow speeds. I thought that the engine wouldn't come on until you got up to 41 mph unless: 1. you have to warm the catalytic converter up when you first start, 2. you have the A/C or the heater on anything but the lowest settings, or 3. you have to accelerate hard to get up to speed. But even with the radio and the air system turned off, I couldn't get past 11 mph without the engine kicking in. Outside temp was 47 F. I got onto a side road in a neighborhood where the road was flat and there was no traffic to p*** off, but I couldn't get to 12 on the motor alone. Am I misunderstanding how it should work, or do you have to accelerate on a downhill, or what?
    The ICE will come on when the computer wants it to. :) That is to say don't worry about it really. The 41 mph trigger is where the ICE will turn off when you the operator tell it to turn off. Sounds confusing?

At a cold start the computer will tell the ICE what to do.
    After being warmed up fully, 10-15 min, then you have more control over the ICE up to 41 mph. Up to this point if you don't give the GO pedal much pressure you'll crawl forward on the e-motor only such as in slow heavy traffic or in a mall parking lot.

When you put your foot into it the ICE will take over and run almost all the time. It's very dependent on your foot. Release the pressure, under 41 mph, and the ICE will turn off.

Don't worry about crawling up to 40 mph from a standing start, it takes too long and doesn't work. Just accelerate up to normal speed and then let off the pedal if conditions warrant it. To tell you the truth, no one, well almost no one, ever get off from a standing stop faster than I do. I just gun it get up to the speed of traffic and glide/coast as much as possible. ( 48 mpg lifetime average over 40000 mi - mostly highway at 62 mph )
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    I hear that Toyota is beginning to finally offer some deals on the Prius models due to slowing sales. Indeed, I have seen a few lease plans that potentially( I have NEVER liked Toyota sales practices at all ) look attractive, and I'm considering looking into the car after dismissing it due to ridiculous prices in the past. In speaking to a friend who recently drove a Prius at night, she commented about a green reflection on the windshield at night that she found dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this , and if so, can you comment?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The green reflection is from the speedometer. It can be almost eliminated with a small hood over the meter readout. The light is projected up, and reflected to horizontal by a mirror. In other words, when you look at the readout, you're actually looking at a mirror. This system has some spillover of light, and a small hood over the speedometer readout will stop most of it from impacting and reflecting on the windshield. Keeping the inside of the windshield clean helps too.

Slowing sales? Feb sales were an all time record for Prius, I'm told. Toyota has ramped up delivery to the US dealers. Now that they have lots of cars, they have to use "standard sales practices" for cars, instead of "if you want it, make an offer, it's the only one we'll have this month" as happened in the past few years.

There is some speculation Toyota is using up parts for the current model, getting ready for the next generation Prius. It's possible, but there is no real evidence, although there have been some comments from Toyota people on how "well" the new design is coming along.
    Yes sales are booming now because the initial hesitancy has passed and the vehicle has proven itself after 6 years here. Toyota doubled production and shipment to the US so every dealer has what would be 'normal' inventory.

The deals are attractive especially the financing.

Regarding the green reflection on the window at night... there has always been a dimmer on the dash light 'roller'. All the way UP it clicks into place and is very bright. Roll it DOWN slightly past the click and the screen goes to a dark background with very little reflection on the windshield.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    My Son's Prius 2001 has over 80,000 miles & he is concerned about it.

Has ANYONE had to replace their batterry near 1000,000 iles?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'd be surprised if anyone has 1 million miles on a Prius yet. ;) The most I heard about was a taxi driver who put about 250,000 miles on it with the original battery.
    Other than owner abuse to my knowledge none, or a tiny miniscule number, have ever been replaced for failure.

If it's within or very close to 100K then it's still within warranty until 2009. Toyota's own testing indicates that the batteries should last the life of the vehicle ( 150K? 200K? 250K? ).

Do a google and see how many actual owners have had the batteries fail. Lot's of people were afraid that they might but there is little or no evidence that they ever have.

I have a friend to whom I've sold two. His Prius is his office. On his second one the odo turned 135,000 miles on it's third birthday. Other than change the oil and filters and get three sets of tires he's done nothing to it at all...and he's on his original set of brakes. After 50 years of buying Fords his last two vehicles were Prius' and he can't wait for Oct 2008 when the next Gen comes out. His 2004 will have about 200K+ on it by then.
    He's talking of a 2001 model, which we call the gen 1, NHW10 I believe. They were slightly less reliable than the current gen 2 or NHW11. He can get a replacement battery for under $3000 I'm told. Used ones are available for around $500. IF it fails. If it's not showing any signs of failure by now, it will probably last the life of the vehicle.

There have been failures. More in the gen 1 than the gen 2 per vehicles on the road. So far the only failures I've heard of in the gen 2 were caused by manufacture faults, and occured relatively early in the life of the battery. They have been failures of a few cells only. Toyota replaced the battery without incident. Last I heard there are less than 30 replacements - out of well over 200,000 vehicles on the road.

Think reliability of automatic transmissions for comparison.
    Correction - gen 1 is NHW 11, gen 2 is NHW 20. NHW 10 is the original model, only sold in Japan.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "If it's within or very close to 100K then it's still within warranty until 2009. "

Nope, the original Prius did not have the same warranty as the Gen 2. I think it was 75K and 5 years, but don't quote me on those numbers. I have seen some problem reports on the Gen 1 that were not covered under warranty because the owner had over 80K miles.
    "He can get a replacement battery for under $3000 I'm told. Used ones are available for around $500. "
    Can you provide a URL or address to confirm these numbers? Where the heck would one get a Used Prius battery?
    Several people have found them on ebay. There are also "recyclers" who specialize in Prius batteries. If you need one, check the auto recycler systems. I was reporting on situations discussed on Priuschat and Priusonline re the costs. A Toyota dealer can quote you their price anytime. Just remember it's a gen 1 Prius. I suspect the newer Prius battery would be a little more, but maybe not.
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    I have read mixed messages about what the Prius is like in the snow. Living in Ohio's snowbelt this is a concern, what do owners have to say about this?
    Thanks.
    Correction;
    Here is Edmunds first Road Test of the 2001 Prius. It states that the hybrid warranty is 8/100 just the same as the Gen 2 Prius.
    Road Test 2001 Prius

I sold the first one in this area back at the end of 2000 but just to make sure my memory wasn't wrong I looked it up again. It always was the same.
    Try GreenHybrid or PriusChat. There are always threads on there and questions and answers.

The biggest problem seems to be on the older models and the ones not using snow tires. Hmmmm
    "Here is Edmunds first Road Test of the 2001 Prius. It states that the hybrid warranty is 8/100 just the same as the Gen 2 Prius."

Well, I told you not to quote my numbers! Thanks for the correct numbers. However, note that the Gen 2 Prius has a more generous warranty of 10 years, 150K miles in the CARB states. I don't think this was available to the Gen 1. Note that this covers only the batteries and hybrid systems.
    What you say is true about the extended warranty. You -imply- (sorry if I misunderstand) it's generous on Toyota's part. It isn't. It's mandated by CARB. In fact, I believe all hybrids sold there must give that warranty, not just Prius.
    Sometimes big brother watches you, and sometimes just watches out FOR you. ;)
    "What you say is true about the extended warranty. You -imply- (sorry if I misunderstand) it's generous on Toyota's part. It isn't. It's mandated by CARB. In fact, I believe all hybrids sold there must give that warranty, not just Prius"

No, I wasn't meaning to say that Toyota voluntarily added to the warranty.

"Sometimes big brother watches you, and sometimes just watches out FOR you. "

Big brother is always watching you, more and more, and I have not yet found the area in which I got back more from the Government than they took in taxes.
    I've heard some comments about this, but I'm not clear. Can someone tell me what the Touring ed. has that the other version doesn't, AND, with all Priuses, are snow tires recommended as opposed to standard stock equipment tires, during the winter. I take it the standard tires have very little roll resistance, and minimal bite in snow.
    The Prius tires are the same exact 15" tires on the Corolla and I believe Civic. Goodyear Integrity.

Middle of the road fair weather tires. That's it.
    Touring has 16" wheels and better tires. It also has a stiffer suspension, and a larger rear "lip" spoiler. A Touring model, similarly equipped to the "standard model", will cost about $270 more. The Touring gets slightly poorer mileage compared to the standard. Perhaps 5-10% difference. It's too early to tell for sure as the ones sold so far are just getting broken in. I base my estimate on the Japanese and European experience.

Test drive both and decide if you like handling. I found the "standard model" felt a little unsure on the road. Unfortunately, the Touring is not available in Canada.

If you get snow frequently, you will want snow tires for winter (4 tires). Some owners purchased steel rims and snow tires for the winter. Some slide around (or don't move), some don't get snow. ;)
  • carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    The BT stiffening plate will help with the "unsure" feeling on the road as well as feel in cornering.
    We had it for a couple of years on our 2005 and now have the plate on both 2007 cars.
    Carl
    What is a "BT stiffening plate", and where can it be had?
    Try this link. http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/6/products_id/21

If inop let me know.
    We had it on the 05 and now on both 07s.
    Carl
    What kind of mileage are you getting with the Touring edition? Someone on this forum suggested the Touring edition's mileage will be a little less than the standard version.
    I'm curious to know what kind of maintenace schedule the recent Priuses require, and is it true that only Toyota dealerships are equipped to service them? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,
    Oil/filter change every 5K miles. 15K and 30K a few other inspections.
    I go to a "quick change" shop that knows these cars well.
    Just keep receipts for warranty.
    Carl
    There is nothing different in a Prius over any other 4c FWD except the maintenance is less.

Oil and filters for the ICE every 5K or 6 mo as noted above.
    Timing chain for the ICE..no maintenance.
    Sparkplugs for the ICE .. replace at 100K plus miles.
    Air filters for the ICE as normal say once a year.
    Winterizing for the ICE as normal say once a year.

Note the highlights.

Brakes? Many reports of original brakes going well over 100K. A friend is at 140K with his original brakes.
    Oh the coolant in the PSD has to be changed at some interval between 70K and 100K miles.

That's it.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I'm consistently getting 53+ mpg in my Touring Edition, which I've had since the end of November, 2006.

Having said that, I'm in Florida, and the weather is generally mild in the winter, so it's not a fair comparison to folks living up north.
    Thankyou for your reply.
    I'm curious to know what led you to decide on the Touring Edition, and what differences have you found in the feel and performance? What equipment differences besides tire/wheel size?
    Touring edition gets stiffer suspension and a larger rear spoiler, along with the 16" wheels and slightly lower profile tires (same overall diameter as the standard model).

I'll let riposte comment on the handling differences (if he/she test drove the standard model).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk current Toyota Prius owners who have noticed a white streak on your dashboard after your fingers have touched the dashboard. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, March 23, 2007 with your daytime contact info

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk current Toyota Prius owners who have noticed a white streak on your dashboard after your fingers have touched the dashboard."

Hear that sound? It's countless Prius owners rushing out to touch their dashboard for the first time :surprise:
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I once rented a "regular" version Prius, and hated it. The body would roll in corners. It was ver susceptible to cross winds. The suspension always seemed to be a 1/2 step behind when it hit a pothole in the road.

When the Touring Edition was introduced, I thought I'd give it another chance. The car was transformed. It's still not a sports car, by any stretch, but everything that so disliked in the "regular" Prius was gone. The handling is better, due to different shocks and larger wheels. The touring has standard HID headlights, and a larger spoiler. Check out Toyota Prius home page or I'm sure you can find it here on Edmund's.

Good luck!
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    You'll want to drive both, and a lot will have to do with where you live and what kind of roads you drive. Some posters have said they were ready to walk away from the Prius after testing the standard suspension. Our experience was the opposite -- hated the Touring, went over and drove the Civic hybrid, then came back to drive (and buy) the standard.

The roads around Denver suffer greatly due to weather, and the closer we get to home the more primitive they become. For us, the Touring edition would have to include free kidney replacement or at least a urinary catheter.

In my opinion the complaints about wind buffeting are, uh, overblown. Not an issue for anybody that has owned an SUV or minivan. We've had some wicked downslope winds this winter in the foothills of Denver but have never felt at risk. The steering, however, can be characterized as "light".

Our salesman was pimping the Touring because of the "cooler" wheels and bigger spoiler which is marginally noticeable. If I were that concerned about being cool I certainly wouldn't be buying a Prius. At the other end of the spectrum leaning toward dorkiness I saw a guy driving around our little village in his new Barcelona red Pruis with a large, handmade sign hanging just below the license plate that said "50MPG!" I wonder how long before somebody "keys" him in this land of "I-want-to-be-a-big-boy" pickup trucks.
  • djkrs2djkrs2 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if you can use voice commands for the type 1 or 2 audio system. It appears from looking through the owners manual and matching pictures that the audio system in my 2007 Touring Edition package #3 that it is a type 1 or 2. I used the voice commands for the Bluetooth phone system but can't seem to find a way to use voice for the audio system. The manual seems to reference it but maybe it's just for the type 3 system which I believe is the system that has the nav.

Thanks,

djkrs2
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    VERY SATISFYING

The Toyota Prius is the Most Satisfying to Own (UK)

According to the most recent J.D. Power and Associates/What Car? magazine 2007 UK Car Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) StudySM released today, the Toyota Prius is the most satisfying for new-car owners. It tied with the Lexus IS for the top ranking for models included in the study.

The Prius received 868 index points out of 1,000. Prius owners were most satisfied with day-to-day operating costs, vehicle quality, appeal and dealer service.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    Hello,
    I am seriously considering a Prius. I am taking my wife and kids to see Mickey Mouse in Fla in June (we're from South Jersey). I have a 7 year old van that may need to be replaced. Is the Prius big enough to hold two grown kids in the back seat comfortably? Plus luggage for 2 women for a week? ( us guys only need a pair of shorts and a tee shirt..) :)
    Thank You,
    Tom
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    It will be tight especially for the luggage. My wife and I do long car trips (Chicago/Las Vegas) all the time but we're just two adults. No problem at all for us. She drives and I navigate, talk on the bluetooth phone, listen to X-M, her iPod or Books on Tape/Disk. It's perfect for us.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    What's with that? I know it isn't for weight or cost savings because much more frivolous and pricey items are either standard or optionally available. A telescoping wheel would also be very nice, but it isn't quite as common and taken for granted an item as an at least manually adjustable seat height/tilt adjuster.

Any chance it will be available on the 2008s or will it wait for the full redesign?

Has Toyota ever given any explanation or justification for the glaring ommission on a vehicle that's very easy to be optioned to more than $25K?
  • wooha2000wooha2000 Member Posts: 54
    Hi,

Just got my 2007 Touring Package #2 and I got the dealer to activate the RS3200 Alarm System. No GPS.

Supposedly the alarm system is in all the PRIUS's but just not activated. I got the dealer to activate via instruction I got off the forum and the dealer activated with not questions asked and said the activation worked.

Question - how can I tell it is activated? Are there any indications?
  • wooha2000wooha2000 Member Posts: 54
    Is there a way to switch all of the information to KPM from MPH. I know that the one button switches the speedometer only. this is on a 2007 Prius.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Could you provide the location of, or a link to, the instructions for activating the alarm?
    I am curious to see if I can activate the system in my car.
    Thanks