Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius

1132133134135136138»

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I haven't driven very many diesels but have owned 2 trucks with diesels. I bet the more diesels here the higher diesel fuel will go though.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's dial back the personal aspect of this please. It IS possible to disagree without being disagreeable.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I haven't driven very many diesels but have owned 2 trucks with diesels. I bet the more diesels here the higher diesel fuel will go though.

Diesel trucks are nothing like modern diesel cars. Domestic trucks are old technology. The new common rail diesels are a world apart from the current crop of domestic diesel trucks.
    America only gets old diesel technology. You might as well compare a Model T Ford to a new Lamborghini. It's that big a difference.
    Hybrids certainly have their place but IMO diesels do as well and diesel fuel is higher because of taxes on the fuel. Where I lived overseas diesel was significantly cheaper. There are enough in congress who want to add a 50 cent tax onto regular gas because of fuel efficient cars. Less fuel sold = less taxes.
    So RUG is going to go up eventually. Diesel might end up being cheaper since they are hitting diesel with higher taxes already.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    A lot of people, including me, also think Consumers Report give GM cars bad ratings because GM builds bad cars.
  • rick294rick294 Member Posts: 77
    Besides, it hard to play Big Semi-Trucker Dude in a Rabbit diesel. :shades:
    I agree. If the vehicle does well in this or that category, they report it as such; if not, they don't.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    I also like CR. However, I've followed CR for many years and find their ratings change over a period of time.

Example: Toyota Tundra rated highly with most ball's full red during first 3 years. After the fourth year the same ball's may be half red or even black.

By the time the manufacturers change the model (5yrs), CR has the real statistics, or more reliable information available to better rate the car. At this point your researching a used car not a new one.

Another good example is the VW Passat and the Ford Taurus.

Passat was the "it" family car in the late 90's and rated very high at that time. If you look at the CR reports in the early 2000's, the same car is not recommended and is rated poorly for all kinds of electrical issues, etc.

Taurus, enough said.

CR is good for an airplane ride or sitting on the porch!
    I agree with your message, but I don't get your point. Yes, of course the ratings can change over time. The more input from owners of the vehicles, the more there is to evaluate each category by. That only stands to reason. You must remember, the ratings info comes from the owner actual experience with the vehicle as they report these things in the annual survey that CR sends out. CR merely tabulates the results. It doesn't create them. As info from the owners comes in, the ratings go up or down. And by the use of the info reported, buyers can make more intelligent choices. Isn't that the who purpose? The vehicles age, and problems can arise - or not.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Rick,

Good points. I was trying to express the fact that if you purchased an 2002 Passat in 2002, CR would have stated the car was bullet proof by the information you mentioned. In this case, based on the CR report, you buy the car. Fast forward to 2005 and the CR rates the 2002 Passat as good but unreliable. 2009 CR reports the car to be very unreliable and almost all the categories are now colored BLACK instead of RED.

I'm just saying, I've bought numerous cars in my life and each one was considered a good buy, based on CR and like publications. Only to find that the CR report has or is on the decline for that particular year and model based on the latest information.

It's a crap shoot.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Less of a crap shoot for the Prius--only one black dot in CR's reliability history for the 2004-8 Prius (audio system for 2004).

Keep in mind also that CR's rankings of cars are separate from their predicted reliability scores. So a car can score well in CR's tests and be highly ranked, as the Passat has been for the past 10 years, but not have a great reliability record. Also, a car can start out being reliable, and not hold up over time. That isn't CR's fault, it's just the way it is. Don't shoot the messenger. :)
    Yeah, that isn't good. I guess the prospective buyer needs to look at the overall repair and trouble history for a particular make - especially when a completely new model comes out. Even at that, it wasn't too long ago that CR mentioned that buyers should be cautious with first year models and showed examples with Honda and Toyota that had "issues" on the first year. To a certain degree, it really is a crapshoot.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    funny stuff:

In My Prius
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    After 5 years without a ski rack I changed my mind. The "custom" Thule and Yakima systems were $350-450 which was way too much. I found a Universal CB-602 rack at Proline Products for $40 plus shipping. It came today and took a long time to install because I was not comfortable with the "gutter hook" attachment. I ended up straightening the four gutter hooks and putting one self tapping screw through each of the gutter hooks and into the body just under the door frame/roof. I'm sure they will hold securely and will not cause any leaks. If it were a new car, I would have spent the $350+. When the ski racks are empty, I can tilt them forward on the round bars so that they are parallel with the roof, minimizing wind resistance.
  • avucarguyavucarguy Member Posts: 56
    I am an owner of a 07 Prius with 59K miles. Even though I like my Prius, I would also love to see more diesel cars sold in this country. I test drove the 2009 Diesel Jetta, the car was great. It handles better and has better pick up than my Prius. But I would never buy a VW due to poor reliability. I have friends with VWs(Jetta + Passat) that are much less reliable than the Japanese brands.
    I would love to see the Japanese and Korean companies offer diesel motors in their vehicles. These modern diesel engines are great. You cannot lose using a hybrid or diesel for better fuel economy and less pollution. Also plug in electric cars would be great also except for the initial high cost of buying them.
    Yes, those German cars, any of them, surprisingly, do not come close to Asian cars and trucks for reliability. I have a 2008 Prius and we love it. I firmly believe gas prices are going to go through the roof in the next few years due to the Obama administration getting deep into "cap and trade". For that reason, I consider our Prius as insurance against that eventuality. (Not "cheap" insurance, however!) VW products have exceptionally nice interiors. They really do it right, but without vehicle reliability, it doesn't mean much to me. During the 1960s and 1970s, I bought 4 new VW products, but I wouldn't do so today, since the Asians have surpassed all other countries in quality and reliability. That's why Toyota is now Number #1 auto manufacturer in the world. The word gets around and old loyalties fall away. But the real bargains these days are with Hyundai and Kia while they are establishing themselves. More content for less money, and especially with Hyundai, the same quality and reliability. Down the road, their prices will likely match those of Toyota, however.
    Europeans are very big on diesels and have been for many years. Diesel trucks are big here, but not so much diesel cars. Wasn't so long ago that diesel fuel prices were above premium gasoline prices. Now diesel seems to be going for less than regular. What happened? Plug-in cars will begin coming on market during this coming year. The Nissan Leaf will be one of them. Like everything else (the first VCR, etc.), the cost will gradually drop as popularity increases (presumably). Exciting time to be in, with all these new innovations coming in.
  • mac93mac93 Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    i dont mean to break up your diesel rants but my prius gets 85mpg with this new setup i just got from www.electrotorque.com you cant put it on a diesel though bummer really....Mac
  • oldsargoldsarg Member Posts: 21
    :confuse: A friend bought a 2010 Prius, package 4. He also bought a new Navigation System on his cell phone and the difference is 2 MPH, e.g., 52 MPH versus the true 50 MPH. Anyone else checked on this?
    Do you mean two miles per hour or 2 miles per gallon?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    From other sites like PC that difference sounds like what they're reporting. A lot has to do with how much fuel is put into the tank each time. 52 mpg vs 50 mpg is just under 4% difference. On a typical 9 gal fillup that would be about one third of a gallon difference; 9.35 vs 9.00. On a 5 gal fillup that would be a 0.2 gallon difference; 5.20 vs 5.00.

On a tank by tank basis that's a random filling variance IMO. The only way to get a real solid number is to keep track of gallons pumped and miles driven over a good long period of time...3 to 6 months at least. A better idea would be to keep records over 1 to 2 years.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Guys,

The original poster posted MPH and meant MPH. He's talking, I think, about the difference in speed reported by his GPS and his speedometer.

There is a legal requirement that speedometers should not read slow and within a certain percentage of actual speed. A 2 MPH error at 50 MPH sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ahhhh...duh. Good pickup. My bad.
    My 2007 TCH is also off by about 2 mph. Wonder if it's a 'Yota hybrid issue?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    lars,
    6 months behind your post, but i am sending that video to all the prius owners i know.
    LOL! is all i can say.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Hey, better LATE than NEVER amigo !!! :)
  • lutzfernandezlutzfernandez Member Posts: 7
    Hey Prius owners. I haven't been on the forum since I first bought my '06 Prius, in part because I have been busy working with my anthropologist sister on a book about American car culture. The book was released this week and is titled Carjacked: The Culture of the Automobile and its Effect on our Lives. It reviews the current state of our nation's love affair with the car and highlights many hidden or infrequently discussed costs of car ownership.

In it I tell the somewhat amusing and embarrassing story of my trying to find and buy a Prius in the summer of 2006 when they were pretty hard to come by here in New England. You can learn more about it at our Facebook fan page, amazon.com, or www.carjacked.org. I'd welcome any feedback you have if you get a chance to read it.
  • oldsargoldsarg Member Posts: 21
    I have an elderly friend who worked for Henry Ford who is writing his autobiography. I am amused at the hype given to the so called "quality" of the Prius when way back in the 30s and 40s inventors such as he could have put most of the auto industry out of business. In his words, "I did not want to put that many people out of jobs." This is amusing as many of my friends and family were put out of the boating industry due to the advent of the railroad in the early days of this country. And, just to think, how many horses were put out of work due to Henry Ford's Model T? As a side note, the depression was caused by the banking industry trying to put Henry Ford out of business. Does that ring a bell?
    I can't get the connection between quality of the Prius and Henry Ford having the capability of putting most of the auto industry out of business...are you saying the early Fords had better quality than the Prius, or ?? How did job losses in the boating industry take place due to the advent of the railroad. Apples and oranges? No, no bells are ringing about the Depression being caused by anyone trying to put Henry out of business?! I admit not being the greatest student of history, but it's been my understanding that the Great Depression was caused by over-valuation of the heated-up stock market. I've never heard of any ties to Henry Ford - but maybe I missed the boat somewhere, I don't know.
  • aghoshaghosh Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2011
    My 2010 Prius was parked outside overnight (ambient temp 30-40) after a trip of about 400 miles. It is usually garaged otherwise. Anyway, when I started the car the following morning, there was a huge rattle in the engine compartment. I shut it down, gave it five minutes and then everything was back to normal. The following two days I completed another trip of about 1000 miles without any problems. Is this something to worry about? My car is still under warranty so I will probably get it checked, but meanwhile would appreciate any thoughts since I am still on the road.
  • 50orbetter50orbetter Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if you own a Prius. I bought a 2010. First car I ever paid cash for. And boy, do I wish I had bought the VW Jetta Diesel instead (those 2 were the semi-finalists). I am so disappointed. I live in Cleveland. It doesn't get Dakota cold here by any stretch. Yet, the Prius is a different car Nov through the end of March than it is the other months. 47-51MPG in summer, 39-42 in winter. Wish somebody would have told me this. The Jetta Diesel gets the same 46-48 winter or summer. The car's heater/AC is god-awful. Too high tech for its own good. On a sunny winter day, about 34 degrees, I want some air coming in. But the setting LO is too cold, and the next hottest setting, 65, is too hot. Nothing in between. Oh did I mention the Prius' $3000 sunroof. I would have had to get the Solar package to get a sunroof. Great marketing Toyota. But worst of all, my range is limited because I apparently don't get to use the last 2 1/2 gallons in the tank. I only get about 440 miles (on a good day) and after driving 50 miles with the gas light flashing, I put in no more than 9.5 gallons. So what gives with the tank? I hate myPrius. And the latest thing, I seem to be getting 35 MPG right now
    Exactly the mileage issue I'm getting with my '08. On the heater issue, it sounds to me like something is wrong. It shouldn't get "too warm" on one click above "LO". Have the dealer look at it. Could be a warranty issue. About the 2.5 gallons left in the tank when it appears "empty" - I kind of like that feature. I consider it a safety margin from running out of gas altogether. My mileage, right now, is running 42 mpg. That's only if I baby it. My mother in law has the same exact car, an '08, and she regularly gets 46-48 during the winter. She's usually 52+ in the summer. ??
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    edited January 2012
    All cars get less MPG in the winter, not just the prius. And don't forget diesel fuel costs more. Also, according to fuelseconomy.gov, jetta diesel owners in 2011 averaged 43 vs 49 mpg for the prius.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30919&id=30656

41mpg with the jetta wagon and 39mpg with and auto transmission. Plus I'd take the reliability of a toyota over a VW any day.
  • interlawinterlaw Member Posts: 1
    Looking to get a Prius. About the only accessory I really need is the nav system. I commute about 30 miles a day, with 8 miles of that highway.

Which makes e best sense--the Three, Four or V?

And is this a car at it makes more sense to lease, or buy (with the 1.9% financing)?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview parents who own a Chevy Cruze Eco, Toyota Prius V and/or Honda Civic Hybrid. If you are willing to share your experience with the car, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than March 10, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hey, Gary, here is your post back from Dec 20, 2005.

"Current hybrids are not designed for 10-15 years of relatively trouble free service. Toyota builds cars like that, just not the hybrids. When I see a 10 year old Prius II still running with no major problems I will come over to your side of thinking."

Does that hold true for Prius 1 longevity? Because I see 10+ year-old First Gen Prius cars all over Phoenix running fine.

I think it's time for a "mea culpa" on your part and admit that you were wrong in doubting Toyota's technology and the batteries and the idea of the Prius in general.

Waiting...... :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A news reporter would like to talk with hybrid car owners in Northern California. If you fit the description, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
  • greendoggreendog Member Posts: 8
    Purchased a 2011 with the 17 inch wheels last year. Other car was a 07 TCH. The seat in the Prius not comfortable for long road trips. Take the Camry anyday. Obviously very different cars.
    Anyone have recommendations on after market seat supports for the Prius?
    On the wheels... Anyone out there with the 17 switch to the regular 15 or try 16 for a more comfortable ride ? Time to have some cheese with all my whining' and buy some new wheels. Cheers
  • gopriusgoprius Member Posts: 15
    i drove 2000 miles last summer in a Camry. Both the Prius and Camry have uncomfortable seats, but what I find helpful is to roll a hand towel, and place it towards the lower back. it puts some pressure on the back, to make it feel a bit more tolerable.
  • 63pro63pro Member Posts: 15
    I just committed the bone head error of trying to leave my garage with the trunk lid up on my 2010 Prius and the garage door promptly "shed" my car of the rear spoiler. To my amazement the spoiler was in good shape but the attachment bolts holding the spoiler to the trunk lid had been ripped out. Have any of you had this happen and what did you do to repair it? I would like to salvage it and not have to buy a new spoiler. Any good epoxies that would work well? Any advice on how to remove the inside trunk plastic to get at the wiring would also be welcomed. Minus a few scratches on the outside, it is still in good shape. Thanks :confuse:
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    You're not alone!! I did this twice and the second time was a disaster!! I tried epoxying the bolts back on to the spoiler, which was scratched but no major cracks except for the bolts, and that did not work. I did shop around and found a number of eBay sites that had spoilers, but I decided to go with a new part from Toyota. The local dealer in Delaware could not beat the price I received from Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo, MI. $298.74 + 11.58 shipping. This saved me a little over $100. The installation was quite simple. Just make sure you have all the nuts that attached the spoiler to the hatch. If not, order them. I used a Spackle knife to get the plastic trim off of the hatch, being careful to keep track of the plastic fasteners that attach the trim to the hatch. Of course you can always have the job done at Toyota or a auto body shop, but that should not be necessary if you are handy.

Good Luck

Bioman
    Forgot to mention the only challenging part of the installation of the spoiler is getting the center brake light and wiring attached to the new spoiler. The tolerances are pretty close so you will have to use a string and a small weight to get the string through the spoiler and then carefully pull the wiring harness, to which you attach the string, through the spoiler. Also, salvage the right and left end pieces so you will not have to purchase them. My spoiler had them attached, but the service rep asked me if I needed the end pieces.

Bioman
  • 63pro63pro Member Posts: 15
    Thanks so much for your reply. I am at the crossroads here, as I was going to attempt the epoxy bit, to see if it would work. Do you remember what type/brand of epoxy you used? I can't get a handle on the composite material the spoiler is made of, so maybe that may have been a problem, but I don't know. However, if epoxy just doesn't work, it is pointless to waste the time. When you took the plastic off the back of the inside of the lid, I assume you had to remove the lower and larger half first and then pull off the plastic that actually covers the bolts etc., of the spoiler? Did you wind up busting some of the plastic tabs in trying to remove these liners? Thanks again for all your help. Jim
    Sorry, I don't remember the name of the epoxy, but I do remember the epoxy failed while I was reinstalling the spoiler. I was glad it happened at that time rather than while I was driving. The thought of having the spoiler fly off and damaging another car or person did not make me feel warm and fuzzy!! Since I did not know how to find out the composition of the spoiler's plastic, I decided to save time and worry and purchase a new spoiler.

No problem with the plastic tabs, except for them flying around while removing the liners and keeping them in place reinstalling the liners.

Hope this helps,

Bioman
  • tokyoalicetokyoalice Member Posts: 1
    Mine is also chirping. it's a 2007 and it started during our trip to the Rockies. we were between 8-12,000 ft. it mostly occurs when pushing the Park button. Now, 2 months later, my Maintenance light is on...IDK what the deal is, but I'm getting it checked out. I've noticed others posting about it happening with elevation change.
  • legendsgolferlegendsgolfer Member Posts: 13
    Anyone heard when the 2014 models will be available. Apologies in advance if this was already discussed but I haven't seen anything on this.
  • evergreen98evergreen98 Member Posts: 1
    I will pick up my used 2012 Prius tomorrow. The car has 23000 miles on it. With our last Prius
    we put on about 18000 miles. What would the advantages and disadvantages in getting the Vehicle Service Agreement for about $2000. We had it on the last vehicle and did not really use it. We had no problems in the 4 years we had it. Thanks for any advice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2014

If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Toyota Prius, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, January 8, 2014, for a copy of the survey.