Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Please help me decide between...

Comments

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    The car is just to get her attention. It's up to you to close the deal. Wouldn't you want a chick that likes cars? :D

james
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    The car is just to get her attention.

where do you go to meet women and you are still in your car??? streetwalkers don't count. ;b

Wouldn't you want a chick that likes cars?

I've got one. But she didn't know what I was driving when we met. And I didn't know she liked cars. Unfortunately, we don't always have the same taste.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hey, as a "chick" in the original poster's age range, I can tell you that it's not necessarily the vehicle itself that's attractive. The type of car that a person chooses drives may be seen as an indication of his/her overall taste.

Now, I'm just talking about a new car purchase. If a person has an Aztek that they (mistakenly) purchased 8 years ago, that can be forgiven. Same with a car that was a gift or hand-me-down, or one that he/she is trying to eke the most value out of (drive til it drops), or purchased for purely practical purposes.

But if he/she were to go out and deliberately select an icky car, one might question that person's taste. If someone said, "hey, I just bought my dream car," and it turned out to be a dog, um....

(side note: a 40-ish guy who lives near me drives a bright blue [non-factory color] badly-modded Honda Prelude. Please don't do that. It's kinda sad.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pmanzapmanza Member Posts: 34
    ok have to jump in here. I am a chick (married) approx right age group. Do not pick a minivan, for obvious reasons. If you do not want to have children then get a convertible, but if you want to put yourself forward as a potential family man, then get a nice, safe, reliable car that would fit 4-5 people but looks attractive and upscale. Maybe an Acura TL, or something like that. That would say "I am a sensible man, looking to the future, but still like to have fun".

If you get a convertible and have kids, guess what you will be selling asap. My hubby bought a Mazda RX7 right before we got married, he never drove it, I ended up driving it, then we sold it within a year because of no back seat.
    Peggy
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Get yourself an old VW Van, paint some murals on it and get a bumper sticker that says "If this vans a rockin, don't come a knockin" You will have to beat them off with a stick :D:D
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    But if he/she were to go out and deliberately select an icky car, one might question that person's taste.

Is that a St. Louis thing?

When I worked in St. Louis, they always asked me to park my beater a little bit further from Corporate HQ.

For the record, when i was dating my wife in 1983, she was driving a 1972 Dodge Polara. And she thought the Chevette that I drove was "HOT".
    Nope. I'm not "from" St. Louis, I just live here now.

I'm just saying that a person's vehicle (along with their clothing choice, their choice of leisure activities) says something about them. When I had a Protege, it probably said "kirstie_h picked a practical car that's easy on gas & cheap to maintain" to most people. My clothes pretty much say "kirstie_h doesn't care." :)

"icky" to one person might be fab to another. The original poster was asking for opinions on how to achieve his vehicle-oriented goal... and we gave 'em up.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

man, this is a delicate topic. gotta be careful here. Case in point ... this is what immediately jumped out at me in your post, kirstie.

When I had a Protege, it probably said "kirstie_h picked a practical car that's easy on gas & cheap to maintain"

;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Erm... yes... let's do be careful, and return to focusing on helping our undecided friend select the vehicle that meets his needs, wants, and budget. :shades:

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You are a bad, bad, bad man.
    yeah... i know.

but, honestly, i read really fast and considering we were discussing "what a car says about me" .... eh, anyway. nothing personal, kirstie. it could have been anyone who typed it and it would have read the same way to me.

ANYHOO ... back to my story(?). My to-be wife DID wind up liking what I was driving at the time (black Dakota V8). Sooo... i dunno. Does that mean that vehicle would attract women??

Oh, and I do want to say, a Protege would tell me something more. It tells me they pay attention to what they are driving and wanted something different than a Civic/Corolla. Civic/Corolla drivers typically say to me that they just want appliances (although a Civic Si is a bit different).

It obviously attracted the type of woman you were looking for.
    and no biggie, just didn't want it to go further!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    apparently for some, (as sung in the popular country hit, "she thinks my tractor's sexy") even farm equipment will work! ;)

-thene :P
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    A fat middle aged man or woman flopping out of a fancy brightly colored low to the ground sports car is definitely not attractive, IMO. It practical screams out "Bring me back my youth dambit" So, having a vehicle that fits your personality would work best in attracting members of the opposite sex... if that is what you are working for. Oh, and don't be a cheapskate and use thumbtacks to hold up your headliner. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jyd247jyd247 Member Posts: 5
    Exactly, I only want something that will grab initial attention. I have been been Mr. Conservative all of my life and driving (not so nice) cars to the ground. I now want something that will be a major upgrade from the car I have now...something I can feel good about. I had no idea this topic would wind up talking about chicks and sexism, but I like it. ;)
    I can tell you that since I bought my first non-practical, just fun, just for me car, I find driving around a lot more fun. While it doesn't define me or my image, I do get warm feelings about myself (and not from the heated seats)... for the first time I'm just a tad cool.

I drove a minivan (needed for hauling schtuff) for years, and believe me that will suck all of the "cool" right outta you. The God of Mid-Life Crises deemed that it be totalled.

Just saying I kinda get where you're coming from.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

The God of Mid-Life Crises deemed that it be totalled.

It was SMOTE down. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Dang... SMITING...

I'll never get the wife in a minivan, now. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Mazda 5?

The only Minivan I would ever consider.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I don't think Mazda considers the 5 a "minivan". They came up with some sporty fancy sounding name I can't remember. It's more of a small station wagon with sliding side doors. A very nice car for a family of 4. But, that 3rd row seating is pretty tight.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I found the third row seating to be the best of the ones I tried out at the autoshow last year. Granted I didn't take a ride in it but it seemed very good while static.
    It's a smokin' hot "people mover."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• kgodfreykgodfrey Member Posts: 1
    How do I create a NEW post?
    If you mean a new thread, you go to the link I have provided and suggest the topic. If it is a topic already covered the Host will point you toward it, if not then the Host will creat the topic for you.

suggest a topic
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059

You just did! And welcome aboard. :)

As for creating a new topic, follow the link that joel0622 provided. If you just want to create a new thread within this topic then navigate to the bottom of this discussion, fill in the text box and provide a title. Easy as pie!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Easy as pie!

In the spirit of the topic, please help me decide between apple and cherry pie... :confuse:

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's a no-brainer - cherry, of course! :)

But now we'll have to decide which vehicle we'll use to pick it up.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Cherry? Are you out of your mind?

Oh, wait. That's YOUR pie. Go ahead. I'll take the apple.

Anyway, I have hit the "I can only drive around in a minivan so long" state but since we have four kids, three of whom will still tolerate being in the same vehicle as me it rather limits me.

We updated from an 02 to an 04 Ody which is OK as such things go. It was great when my wife was the primary driver and I had the Accord with the stick. Now she's got work that put on miles and while I can't get her to turn off a light when she's not using it or any other home conservation things, she immediately saw how much wiser it would be for her to take the Accord which gets much better mileage. Swell.

Sometimes I think I should sell the van, buy a conversion van for the times we need a big hauler. They can be bought very cheaply. With the money I save I'd get like a nice 5 or 6 year old Miata to drive most of the time. Or maybe a nice 3 series convertible.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I have emailed 5 pie makers asking for there best price on pie, and told them that if they have any demo pies from yesterday I would be interested if the price is right.

I know how much they pay for for flour, eggs, sugar, and one of them is a high volume pie maker so I know he can afford to sell me one for less then TNPC (triple net pie cost).

They have there own store so they must be rich and not need to make money on the pies they sell now. i had one pie maker try to tell me that the frost earlier this year has made the price of cherrys higher. Is this true?

Only one called me back and said he wants me to come look at the pie first.

I have an old pecan pie that has been in the freezer since Thanksgiving, I asked if they took trade ins and they said my pie is only worth .50. There crazy, this pie is a one owner and never had the first bite out of it.

I checked Edmunds TPMV (true pie market value) and it says $1.50

Are todays pie makers just to busy for us internet pie shoppers?
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    joel - that was hilarious! ha ha ha! the pecan pie trade in part was the best!!!

-thene :D
  • yajiv01yajiv01 Member Posts: 16
    I am planning to buy a car for my work commute (city - 20 miles one way). I may sell the car in 2-3 years. I need your help in deciding which of the following would be a better choice financially.

1) 08 Corolla LE- there is a $400 rebate offered in my city
    2) 07 Corolla LE- $750 rebate
    3) 07 Civic LX
    4) 04/05 Used Civic LX or Corolla LE with around 30K miles?

If I do the math based on TCO listed on edmunds.com, I only see a difference of $200-300 between the above 4.

Am I missing something? Which is better Corolla or Civic

Thanks
    yajiv01
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Forget #4 - the prices of those models used are simply stupid and indicate why you should buy new.

Since you may turn it fairly soon (and seem to be focused on money down the road), go with the '08 as it will always be worth correspondingly more.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I agree with the '08 idea; it's worth an extra $500.

Exception: If you pile on the miles, it's easier -- for some reason I don't personally understand -- to sell a 3-year-old car with 40k miles than a two-year-old car with 40k miles.

The latter will be considered "high mileage", which is a Bad Thing. Go figure. It's not that the '07 will bring more money, but it'll be a quicker sale and won't bring much less.

Forget used, as ccc said.

Drive them both. The Civic is mighty nice, but Hondas are always loud; tons of road noise. The Corolla would be my choice, but around here, it would be $2-3k cheaper than the Civic, I think. For the same money, I'd take a good look at the Civic. It's like money in the bank.

-Mathias
  • ashrafaashrafa Member Posts: 2
    I have two quotes from two dealers- one is $350 more than the other, but gives free exterior paint protection, leather treatment and carpet stain guard applied. I don't know if the higher price quote is the better deal or not. Please comment.

The car I'm shopping for is 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L.

Thanks,

--Ashraf
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    exterior paint protection - Wax. Gone the first time you wash your car.

leather treatment and carpet stain guard - A $8.00 can of Scottgard sprayed around inside your car.

Take the lower price, you don't want or need any of these/
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Ashraf, unless that nonsense comes with a warranty against stains or damage to the interior (Some of them do, and it might be worth considering if you have a lot of rambunctious children) it's more than likely nothing better than a coat of wax and some scotchguard, pass on that garbage!

That being said, where do you want to do business? If the dealer that's $350 more is the place you would rather buy, see if they will match said lower price.

Bill
    one is $350 more than the other, but gives free exterior paint protection, leather treatment and carpet stain guard applied

LOL! yeah ... "free"

as brentwood said, if it comes with a real warranty attached, you may want to consider it. The actual stuff itself ain't worth more than about $10.

• ashrafaashrafa Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, folks!

The delareship provides a warranty package for free (100K powertrain, paint and interior, life-time free tires, road-side assistance), but the catch is that you have to do ALL the works at their shop including oil change, and anything they may suggest you need done has to be done, and with them- else it's void. So, to me it seems pretty useless (or may become expensive to keep). What do you all think?

Thanks,

--Ashraf
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I gar-ron-tee their 'recommended' services charges will cover much more that those bottom of the line tires they will be putting on your car.

Run away! Run away!
  • philofrogphilofrog Member Posts: 1
    HELP! I'm looking for my first car and it is SO overwhelming. :cry: Right now I'm sort of choosing between a Ford Focus and a Chevy Cobalt. I've heard a few people complain about their Cobalt. In your opinion is one better than the other? I'm so confused and don't know who to ask. :confuse: Naturally the dealer will recommend HIS car. Can anyone offer any insight?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Suggest STRONGLY that you drive BOTH cars... they are both nice products, but ultimately you should buy the one that you like better.

Forget what you read online, you can fidn people that swear by and swear at both products. It's your money, buy what you like.

I'd also consider holding out to try the Saturn Astra as well, that will likely be the best car in its' class, it is the best selling car in its' class in Europe.
    If you are looking at used cars it really depends on the individual car that you are looking at. If you are looking at new you just need to drive them both and see which one you like best
    Head over to your local Avis or Hertz neighborhood location. Rent a Cobalt, a Focus, a Mazda 3, a Corolla, and an Elantra. If you use some of the special deals on the Spirit Air website, you can get a rental for $20/ day. Drive all of the cars for at least a day. Once you have done this, you will get some idea of what you like. Also, if you are renting a car, you will not have a salesman telling you what you like.

Personally, when my old ride died earlier this year, I bought a $400 junker to get to work. Every weekend, I would call the Enterprise, Avis and Hertz local managers to see what compact they had available that weekend. Cars that I thought I would love were disappointments and cars this I thought I would dislike turned out pretty well. Also, I was able to see what kind of mileage I was going to get.

Certainly, my way of shopping was not inexpensive. However, when it came down to selecting what I wanted, I had a good idea as to what to buy.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Good advice. ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

And did I say that the Corolla was the least expensive (equally equipped)?
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Excellent advice, though it does not work if a model you are interested in is not available as a rental (Accord, maybe Odyssey?), or has a manual transmission.
  • hardwarelusthardwarelust Member Posts: 8
    I need help choosing a new or very recently used car. I currently drive my '99 Miata 100 miles/day, and it just sucks. My back is killing me, the road noise is awful, the radio sucks, etc. It's time to replace it. I can afford anywere up to the low $30k's, so I've got some options. I would prefer to get something recently used as opposed to brand new for obvious reasons.

So, here's my requirements, in general order of importance:

#1: Comfortable and quiet, relative to the Miata. Good radio, nice seats, that kind of thing.
    #2: I would very much prefer AWD. I've been stuck in the snow 4-5 times since I moved here. That sucks.
    #3: Being somewhat smaller and getting reasonable gas mileage would be a big plus. I drive 500 miles/wk minimum. Plus my garage is relatively small, so I'd like something that would possibly fit in it in the winter.
    #4: Decent power, and fun to drive.
    #5: Stone cold reliability. I drive in excess of 26k a year. It has to be reliable.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a small(ish) 4-door AWD sedan, but I wouldn't be averse to looking at a hatchback/coupe or a truck/suv kind of thing. I don't really ever need room for more than 4 adults, and even that would only be very occasionally (I have no kids).

So, with those requirements in mind, the first two cars that spring to my mind are the Subaru WRX (2006 or 2007 model) or maybe the Lexus IS250 w/AWD. I know, the WRX isn't in quite the same class as the Lexus, (and lacks a moonroof!) but it's an absolute blast to drive. I know that BMW makes a 3-series with AWD, but I'd be nervous about BMW's lack of reliability and cost compared to the Japanese cars. Same goes for the Audi A3/A4, which seem nice, but kind of expensive for what you get.

Any thoughts? What cars should I be looking at? Help!
    That's a tall order.
    What is reasonable gas mileage?

You don't need AWD unless you live way north (even then, some folks would argue). I've never ever gotten stuck with FWD and good all-season tires. Any car I can think of with AWD only gets so-so mileage, IMHO.

Anyway, have you thought about the Legacy? You could get a moonroof in that. Actually .... don't the new WRXs come with a moonroof in the Limited trim?

I'll get alot of complaints on this one, but I suggest a Volvo S60. Its a great buy used. Reliability probably isn't up there with Subaru or Lexus, though. But you won't find a comfier seat, the stereo is fabulous, and it is a heckuva lot quieter than the subie. Gas mileage is also just so-so. It is available with AWD, but I'd suggest just FWD for mileage and maintenance reasons.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    ... I wouldn't get the WRX..

Legacy sedan would be better, if you must have AWD.

As Q says... FWD would be a big improvement over a Miata.. AWD may not be necessary..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

IMO get the Subbie.

I have driven a lot of IS250s lately and I still don't like them.

1. They all have enormous blind spots because of the swoopy four dour coupe styling. A car that size shouldn't need a back up camera but you better get it or good luck backing up into tight spots.

2. The front drive shaft for the AWD intrudes on the driver's foot well and your right calf rests on a protrusion in the floorboard caused the the shaft. It is just covered in carpet and not padded at all so in just the short drives I have taken I found it uncomfortable.

3. The 204 hp in the Lexus is not enough for the mass of the car. The WRX has more power and weighs a lot less plus you can get it with a MANUAL.

Comparison

4. The AWD system in the car acts funny. When you have the wheels cranked fairly far to one side in a low speed turn the car wants to crab walk to one side like a 4WD truck locked in low range. The only other AWD vehicle I have ever had that happen in is a Freelander that is about to have the viscous coupling fail in the transmission.
This discussion has been closed.