Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Please help me decide between...

Comments

• Options
    151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    You can get the IS250 in a manual, but I second your opinion: it's just too cramped feeling. And the manual is awful, anyway.

If it has to be AWD, Subaru. FWD, I would get the 6cyl 6spd Accord coupe (no more manuals in the sedan :mad: )

I am struggling to come up with anything else as this is my segment but reliability takes out the BMW, Volvo, and VW. Toyota is just too boring.

Yeah, just get the Subie.
  • Options
    hardwarelusthardwarelust Member Posts: 8
    Tall order? Don't I know it! That's why I need some input.

"Reasonable" to me would be 25mpg highway minimum. Any less than that and I'm over 4 gals/day. That adds up very fast!

Our other car (her car) is fwd with good all-season tires. It is better, I agree, but still not nearly perfect. Believe me, I have considered it, and I do feel I need fwd. It gets pretty messy and icy around here in the winter.

I had not considered the Legacy yet, but I certainly will. And Volvo really wasn't on my radar, but I'll definitely check them out now.

Thank you!
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    I think the Legacy is the winner here. Just pick a trim and go. A Mazdaspeed 6 might also work; there were good deals to be had on them a while ago.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    If it has to be AWD then Subbie is really your only choice I agree.

You can't get the IS250 AWD in a manual. AWD means automatic only.

The S60 is a good option if you have a Volvo dealer fairly close by. Get a CPO one and you can get special financing, 4.9 out to 60 months IIRC, and a 100,000 mile warranty with ZERO deductible.

The seats in the Volvos are some of the most comfortable you will ever sit in and the reliability is probably some of the best among entry level European automobiles.
  • Options
    OK, so far I've got the Legacy, Volvo S60, and Mazdaspeed 6 on my list.

I hadn't thought of Volvo before, I'll def. be checking those out, and I also didn't know the Mazda 6 had AWD, so I'll def. check one of those out, too.

Also, I just saw a 2007 WRX at my local dealer and it had leather, and a moonroof, so I want to drive that to see how it is.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Mazda6 doesn't come in AWD. And it has dreadful fuel economy for its class. The Mazda3 might be more to your liking and get better gas mileage (again, though, no AWD). I think you will find the Legacy not as much fun as the WRX. Why not get that?

Worth a look, possibly -- the new Honda CRV. It's a 4 cyl FWD engine so it will have better fuel economy than the WRX. It looks way less boxy than the old CRV. The seats are supposed to be much improved too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    You are correct, the Mazda 6 does not, but the MazdaSPEED 6 does indeed come with AWD. I've seen both the Mazda3 and the Mazdaspeed 3 up close and personal, and while not a bad car, it didn't really trip my trigger.

I am leaning toward the WRX. I have driven one, and I liked it immensely. It has the 'fun to drive' factor that few cars I've tried have, which is one reason why I've been driving a Miata for going on 12 years now. It's $8k cheaper than the IS250, which is a real consideration. The Legacy, which I will try, is another consideration, I just have to get down the dealer and try one.

The CRV? I'll pass. It's ugly as sin. Admittedly, it will do the job, but has all the fun and charm of a toaster. No thanks. :)
  • Options
    Sounds like the WRX is the car for you. I only mentioned the CRV because it meets your criteria of a) good in snow b) fuel efficiency, c)comfort and d) reliability. If the fun to drive factor is paramount, then the WRX is the one! I'm surprised you didn't like the Mazda3 though. I would imagine it might have a somewhat nicer interior than the WRX, although I haven't seen the inside of either one. The Subie I had was from 1998 so maybe they are getting better interiors now.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    You're all being Silly.

Lamborhghini has a lovely lineup of AWD cars that are nice and sporty.

The Gallardo is even available with snow tires as an option!
  • Options
    Yeah just get a HELOC for the Gallardo. :P
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Put me in the Legacy or Mazda 6 camp.

If AWD isn't absolutely necessary there's several other things to add to the list.

I'm surprised on the Mazdaspeed 3. I'd certainly take one.

And if you can get im_brentwood to cut you a deal on a 30K Lambo I'd definitely take it!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    He would have a line running down to to Delaware if he could do that. :P
  • Options
    Yep. And I'd be in the middle of it.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I am surprised no one is mentioning Infinity G35x. Is there something wrong with it? I just priced it, and the invoice on it is in low to mid 30s.
  • Options
    Now that's a good suggestion. That's one car I had not considered.
  • Options
    I only didn't mention it because I thought were had a $30K cap on a new car. If I'm wrong on that put that Infiniti in there! Fine choice.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    And as an owner of one, I can give it a high personal recommendation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Oh, that $30k wasn't some sort of hard cap. I could probably afford up to $35k, but I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to, you know what I mean? I have some room to play with if need be.

I'll def. be checking one out, though...and soon.
  • Options
    Oh, in that case absolutely put the Infiniti on the list. Might just knock the others right out.
  • Options
    And actually that raises another question that I have....

Since I drive 26k miles a year or more, does it make fiscal sense to even consider buying a brand new car?

I guess my real question is, what would be the best way to maximize my fiscal investment in a car, since I drive it way far above and beyond what people consider to be an "average" mileage year? I'm thinking at 26k a year, a lease is pretty much out of the question, no?
  • Options
    Totally depends on what vehicle you buy, IMO. For example, I think the Infiniti G35 is considered at least entry-level luxury. Thus, it is likely to get a bigger depreciation hit in the first couple of years. Same with domestics - big hit the first couple of years. So, buy purchasing slightly used, you could save a lot of $$.

Something standard and fast-selling like a Honda Accord, for example, holds its value very well, so buying slightly used won't save you enough to make sense.

I drive about 22K miles per year, and went with "gently used" on my Infiniti just for that reason. I think it waspreviously leased, low miles. I'm going to drive it for a few years, mile it up, sell it and do it all over again.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    I agree that is a great suggestion. I think it just slips alot of peoples' minds that it is available in AWD.(?)

I suggest, hardwarelust, that you look at used cars for any of the suggestions. With the amount of miles you drive, it makes much more sense. Let someone else take those first couple of years of harsher depreciation. You could get a nice low-mile 2-year-old example for probably 60% of the new cost. AND, if you get CPO, you'll probably have a better-than-new warranty anyway ... then again you'll eat it up in a couple of years, so it may not be worth the added cost.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Given the miles you put on I'd definitely grab something coming off of a lease. I will grant you I'm of the feeling that most often the best way to buy a car in terms of bang for the buck is to buy a two year old lightly used car and then drive it until it won't go anymore.

Truth in posting statement: I rarely make it to the won't go anymore part. I'll get it up in the neighborhood of 165K and start getting the irresistible urge to have something else. That or someone totals them. That happened twice....
  • Options
    lemkelemke Member Posts: 1
    We currently have a 2000 Ford Expedition. We love the room available, but of course the fuel economy leaves much to be desired. We have been considering looking for a vehicle that gets better fuel economy, but would still be "big enough". We currently have a two and five year old, but are expecting another child in January. So, "big enough" means that it can fit 3 car seats, and two adults. Cargo space should allow for a few bags, a cooler, and a tent or so (enough room for a family of five to go on a weekend camping trip).

A co-worker has a Jetta TDI wagon. That seemed like the perfect solution, except for the fact that I don't think we could get the three car seats in the back seat.

I have considered the Ford Edge Crossover, a Dodge Grand Caravan, or the Saturn View. While these would be big enough, and have better fuel economy, they still aren't great on the mileage.

Does anyone have suggestions of other vehicles?
  • Options
    Highlander hybrid?
    Saturn Vue hybrid?

if you have the means, there is always the Benz R320cdi.

Maybe a Dodge Magnum V6. If any wagon currently on the market will fit 3 seats across, that's the one. If it won't, then you might as well scratch all wagons off your list.

I haven't looked at the EPA ratings, but the Odyssey has cylinder deactivation, so maybe that will get good enough mileage for you? I don't know what your target is.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My '05 Odyssey Touring (with VCM) gets 28 mpg at 65 mph. Don't believe that any of the models under consideration could get better.
  • Options
    Depends on how you equate that. If you were able to beat EPA in the same manner in an R320cdi, then you would have gotten 31mpg. ;)

Of course, that is with diesel, which may or may not be more expensive on a given day or location.

• Options
    I haven't beat anything - the EPA highway rating on my vehicle is 28.
  • Options
    sorry. i was looking at the new ratings on the '08s.

• Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You should look at a minivan. More efficient then the Expedition and can fit 3 children in car/booster seats. You will be hard pressed to get 3 seats across the back of the Jetta.

I rented a 2008 Kia Sedona about 3 weeks ago. I was very impressed with how far this has come. It was the base model and had some areas I wasn't wild about but overall a very nice vehicle for the price.
  • Options
    asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Mazda5, with a manual if you do not get stuck in traffic very often? 3 rows of seats, the 5-year old can climb into the 3rd row and buckle him/herself (I am assuming there is a booster seat).

May be a little tight for a camping trip... pack light :)
  • Options
    carlover20carlover20 Member Posts: 20
    I am in High School and am looking for my first car. I have been looking at a Honda pilot, Toyota Highlander and Kia sorento. I need AWD or 4WD because we live in upstate New York and every winter you need it. I am open to any suggestions.
  • Options
    ke72spnke72spn Member Posts: 12
    I live in Buffalo and drive a PT Cruiser, the truth is that you really don't need it. I am able to get around just fine with my traction control and 5 speed in the snow.

If you must have AWD, why not a Subie since they are more fuel efficent and less likley to roll over in an accident. Also, the new Impreza looks very cool :shades: .
  • Options
    I’m posting this on behalf of a journalist at a national publication writing a story about negotiating new-car prices and the car-buying experience. He writes, "I’d like to talk to car buyers about their views on negotiating a car’s price and hear your recent experiences about buying a new car. I am particularly interested in the experiences of woman and all shoppers under the age of 35. Would you prefer to haggle or just get one price and pay it? Are you attracted to brands like Saturn and Scion because they boast one-price selling? You must be willing to chat by phone and be quoted in print. If you have some experiences or thoughts to share, please send an email to carguy147@hotmail.com and I’ll set up an interview."
    Alternately, you can write to jfallon@edmunds.com and I'll be sure to connect you. Please respond on or before Wednesday, October 17, 2007.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    If i were to get a FWD i would get the Volkswagen Jetta 2005.5-2006.
  • Options
    steveh2007steveh2007 Member Posts: 2
    First of all, I'm new to CarSpace, and very excited to be a new member. I hope you can provide some advice. I'm looking for a new car/wagon/SUV. I'm undecided. Currently I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer with a 5.0L V8. Gas guzzler. But my biggest complaint about the Explorer is the lack of front leg room and headroom. I'm 6'4", and with the seat all the way back (and down), my knees are still pointed way up to the roof. Not comfortable. So ideally, I am looking for a car with the following specs: great front legroom and headroom, good gas mileage, very reliable, great handling, good acceleration, in the $30-40K range fully loaded with Navigation System. Any suggestions?
    By the way, I've been using Edmunds.com to compare vehicles, but it's a very slow process to pull up every car just to see the specs. I wish the tool would allow me to search for a car with certain interior specs (e.g. legroom).
    Thanks.
  • Options
    That's a potentially big list, IMHO, depending on what you consider "good gas mileage, good acceleration, very reliable, and great handling."

lesseee...
    G35
    328i
    TL
    V50
    C300 sport
    Legacy SpecB

of course, my personal preferences are weighing in here, too. I mean, you might think a Magnum R/T gets good gas mileage. I dunno. You also might not be happy with a 328's legroom. I'm 6'5" and have yet to find any problem fitting in luxury cars of pretty much any size with power seats.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Another route would be something like a Toyota Avalon Touring. Hits all the noted points; for sure, handling is worse than a 3-series but would feel like a Ferrari after driving an Explorer. Seems roomy, comfortable and quick (0-60 in 6.0!).

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    oh, we could go on and on, really. we definitely need more restrictive parameters, which is kinda what I was getting at (albeit unclear).

• Options
    steveh2007steveh2007 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Let me give some examples of what I'm looking at. The Nissan Altima Hybrid has over 40" of headroom, and over 44" of legroom. Over 35 mpg. and Navigation system, all for about $32-35k. That's the good news. Not so good is: it has a very small trunk, and I'm not so sure I'll be happy with the small hybrid 4 cyl engine. The Altima 3.5SE addresses this concern, and it has a larger trunk, but you lose 1-2 inches in legroom. I am also looking at the Toyota Avalon, but surprisingly, it has almost 2" less headroom and 3" less legroom than the Altima Hybrid. Also less mpg. But the Toyota has a nicer interior, and reliability may be better too. Also, Avalon is more expensive than the Altima. So that's where I'm at: right now, it's between the Altima Hybrid, Altima 3.5SE, and Toyota Avalon.
    Thanks.
    Steve
  • Options
    try them out. looking at measurements on paper means nothing. for instance, on paper, the Honda Pilot has much more room for the driver than my Volvo S70 did, yet I was MUCH more comfortable driving the volvo.

May I also suggest looking at the Accord?

• Options
    How bout the Nissan Maxima? don't know how it compares now to the Altima, but my '01 has tons of leg room and my 6'4" son likes it fine. BTW he drives a Buick LeSabre (New version is Lucerne) -- talk about a huge trunk!!!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I am looking at a Toyota Sequoia for my first car. I know it has more room than I will need and horrible fuel economy but I really like it. I think the Rav-4 and Highlander are ugly, the 2003 4runner is to expensive along with the Land Cruiser so that leaves the Sequoia. My budget is $16,000. I also have been looking at Honda Pilots. I am looking for a Reliable safe vehicle to get me through College and then some. Any suggestion?
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    "My budget is $16,000. I also have been looking at Honda Pilots. I am looking for a Reliable safe vehicle to get me through College and then some. Any suggestion?"

Yeah, sure. If this getting through college means you're young, and money is part of the consideration, than take the $16 and buy a *new* Civic or Corolla. If it needs to have some ground clearance and a hatch, get a Mazda3 or Matrix/Vibe or add $4 and get an equally new Outback. Here I assume the $16 is money actually at hand. If it's money you'll be owing and paying back (how???) then I recommend a bicycle.. works for me most days.

If you're going to operate on a student budget, why saddle yourself with a 14mpg vehicle the week after oil hits $90/barrel? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Once you're gainfully employed, buy whatever you want. But unless you got a very handsome stipend, forget the fullsize SUV.

-Mathias
  • Options
    I absolutely hate small cars. i would never get a civic or corolla. Plus I need AWD or 4WD. I am also looking at midsize SUV's.
  • Options
    If you won't listen to reason and get an economic small car that will be cheap to run, fuel, and insure, I would suggest an older Toyota 4Runner. They have very high reliability and probably will not cost as much to run as the large Sequoia and be less expensive than the Pilot. Can take a lot of abuse too.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    The problem with them is that, damn, they are pricey, even when 10 years old and miled up.
  • Options
    paulsed1paulsed1 Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a '99 Pathfinder that has a pretty good amount of mileage (153k) and is having problems, so I am ready to buy new. I do like the 2008 Pathfinders (LE) but the gas economy kind of scares me, especially because they recommend premium fuel (for a mid-grade SUV?) Anyway, I am beginning to get very stressed over indecision. I have done more than enough research and am just burned out. I would like suggestions. I have spent loads of time on KBB and Edmunds, so I am not new to this. But maybe I need to step back and see what others say. The only other car I've really looked at is the Hyundai Veracruz. It is a nice luxury car, but for being a CUV, it does not corner very well and it is slow to initially accelarate. I also am not a huge fan of the outside appearance, but I could live with it (there's also that darn speaker that vibrates against my leg! great sound system though)

I am kind of an SUV guy, but am open to suggestions. Here is what I am looking for -
    Good looks, like rugged, masculine and maybe sporty.
    Good engine power, but doesn't have to be huge, (I like the Pathfinder's v6, the V8 is too costly.)
    Decent mileage, doesn't have to be super high.
    Some luxury touches, doesn't have to be elite.
    Good reputation for being long lasting.
    Powerful sound system!
    All whell or four wheel drive - maybe not essential, but pretty important, I live in New England.
    Price range of about 35 - 40k.

So what do you think? I need to buy soon! Please leave a thought or two with your suggestion.

All the best,
    Paul
  • Options
    Well, I would say EX35, as that is my new "suv" kick ... but it isn't available yet, and you say you need it soon.

If you want big, reliable, and somewhat good on gas, I suggest the Pilot.

• Options
    How big do you need exactly?

What about a LR2? They are between 35 and 40k.

This discussion has been closed.