Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• garguygarguy Member Posts: 2
    Two month follow-up on my wife's 2002 745i valentine present. The car received a new engine after three weeks at the dealer. 500 miles on the new engine, 29K on odometer. I upgraded the NAV discs and put two new Pirelli tires on the front, my brother in law had just installed two on the rear. The engine sounds great and performs well. That is the good news. Within a week, the car would not move and power steering fluid poured out at a doctors appointment, the BMW tow plan took it back to the dealer for proper hose installation. Two weeks of blissfull driving ensued, then the car would not turn over, another BMW tow to the dealer for two new key fobs and new key module insert. One day later, my wife dared me to drive it to Asheville, NC on business. The car rode superbly for a coworker and myself on the four hour drive. After lunch with clients downtown the next day, the car would not turn over, another BMW tow to the Asheville, NC dealership and a taxi ride for my clients. I was told the car needed a fuel pump and would be ready the following week. My wife has driven a loaner (a 530 wagon) more than the 745. They did not have any cars available in Asheville, so I rented a Maxima (reimbursable I believe under the BMW tow plan)to get my coworker and me back to Raleigh. How I missed my gas guzzling but dependable GMC Denali. Now I was starting to understand where my wife was coming from, the inconveniece, embarrasment and frustration. She just wanted her Acura back. This is a good looking great driving machine when it runs. The service departments are trying very hard, I feel for them. I remember the comment the nice service lady made in Asheville when she referred to the conversation she had with my wifes service advisor in Chapel Hill. He said, "He bought his wife an 02 7 car", she replied, "Oh No, he didn't:, he said, "he has been very understanding with us". I read all the 02-03 7 car reports on the internet before purchasing. How can such a premier luxury sedan have so many problems. My wife's friend has a 04 745i with 55k miles and no problems. My brother in law had just minor service problems with the car, he is now in the 06 760 Li, I planned to purchase that car after his three year lease as an upgrade to the 02 7 out of manufacturer warranty in June 08. I don't think my wife will put of with this that long. What should I do?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Well, you said you read all about the 02-03 7-series problems before buying.... Frankly, what did you expect? :confuse:

BMW made so many changes in technology and software that had previously never had experience in real-world driving. BMW openly admitted their mistakes and even gave all 02 and 03 7's a full 6yr/100k warranty (which is a nice gesture, btw, IMO).

Since then, however, the 7's have been great. No across-the-board issues and nothing out of the ordinary. It took them a year or two, but BMW has really done a nice job with the 7. If you're able to buy that great $120k (new) 760Li from your brother-in-law at lease end, I'd jump all over it. It is extremely unlikely you'd run into anything even close to your 2002.
  • thenut8522thenut8522 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I bought the car using poker winnings because it was a perfectly clean 1994 740i with only 95,000 miles and it was $5,000. So I jumped at the deal, thinking of selling it before I went off the college (and hoping that I would not have to make a major repair until then). It did not work out completely as planned....

I'm going to call the mechanic and repair the cost of: A- a new valve body or B-a totally new/rebuilt transmission, because if I can do the entire transmission for a similar price, it would help me to sell the car more easily/for more money when the time comes.
  • chingichingi Member Posts: 2
    my 1998 740il refuses to stay in the automatic trans mode unless i am mantaining a speed of 40 mph or higher so i have been forced to drive in manual for the last 4 months. i think its in the switch it self becous as soon as i switch it back to auto it kicks in. If this is the begaining of future problems can some one give me a heads up? or a way to resolve this super shilft problem.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    my 1998 740il refuses to stay in the automatic trans mode unless i am mantaining a speed of 40 mph or higher so i have been forced to drive in manual for the last 4 months. i think its in the switch it self becous as soon as i switch it back to auto it kicks in. If this is the begaining of future problems can some one give me a heads up? or a way to resolve this super shilft problem.

According to the E38 owners manual, "A" stands for Adaptive and "M" stands for manual with regards to that switch.

There are actually 3 driving modes, the third of which is "S" (Sport). When you are using "A" and put the gear in "4", it'll be in Sport mode... Basically it's just not using the 5th overdrive gear, so the rpms are revving up higher.

After reading your post, I can't determine if you are utilizing A/M correctly, so I'll quote their functions from an E38 owners manual:

"A - Adaptive Program: This is the initial position that transmission selects at every start. In the forward ranges, Adaptive Transmission Control automatically selects the most suitable control program from the available range........."

"M - Manual Program: This program is for driving in a single gear (4th or 5th with the selector lever in Drive). The transmission then remains in the selected gear both when underway and when starting off. For instance, when you make a steep ascent with the selector lever in Position 2, then transmission refrains from executing undesired upshifts. The same principle applies during operation on ice-covered roads: By placing the selector lever in Position 3 you can move off gradually, and the transmission wil also suppress subsequent shifts into higher gears."

So, to understand what you are saying, when you start the car you are putting it in "M" mode and "Drive" until it hits 40 mph? If that's the case, then you're probably trying to accelerate from a standstill in 4th or 5th gear... and that's not good for the engine. Could you please clarify?
  • suite7suite7 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, this isn't a riddle. What does the air back light, the cruise control and the dsp have in common? The air bag light sensor light is on with an error code related to power supply, the cruise control stopped working (in stages - now the light won't even activate when the system is turned on but not engaged), and the dsp led went dim and now doesn't turn on. Does any of this sound familiar?
    Is the car safe to drive? I believe the air bags are inoperative while the light on the dash is lit.
    Help...
  • chingichingi Member Posts: 2
    i guss the problem i am having is with Adaptive program (thanks for the info(A)-Adaptive). no matter which program has been used last before cutting of the car,when it is started,it will go to manual program prior to placing it in gear(D)and the (M)lights up to the right of it. I normaly hold the button in the A(adaptive)position until i reach speeds of 40mph or more if not shortly after letting go of the button you feel the car automatically shift back into the manual mode. It will also shift to the manual mode at all most every complete stop right before excelleration. :confuse:
  • finn4finn4 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 740il...just replaced the transmission at 175000 miles...problem was, right at 30 mph or what seemed to be between 2nd and 3rd gear, it felt like i was driving on rumble strips, then when it got through that speed it stopped...doesnt do it whem in M mode, just A mode...rplaced the trans witha rebuild...still doing it...it has to be electical...right?
  • caliboi1976caliboi1976 Member Posts: 1
    HI, im looking for some information as to what would be the likely cause for my 90 750il to intermittantly loose power, it does it at cruising speeds mostly, feels like it runs on only 6 cylinders, i let off the gas and then the other cylinders catch on and its fine for a few minutes and then same thing, cuts down to 6 cyl, let off and then back to 12.. its very annoying. I have a complete parts car, but rather than just swapping parts would like to have an idea. The parts car is an 88 750il, will only move in reverse, any ideas what is wrong with the transmission? It will creep forward but will not shift and slips bad. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    sounds like a "cranky" crankshaft sensor to me. I believe there are two, one for each bank of cylinders, so this makes some sense. Another idea might have to do with throttle control "motor".
  • wratpackwratpack Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me with some step-by-step instructions as to how to remove the radio from the dash of a 1990 bmw 735il.
    Or better still, point me in the right direction for solving my problem. It looks like the radio (and cd) are working fine but there is zero sound from the speakers. All fuses are OK, I have not yet checked the powewr into the booster amp (rear lhs of trunk)as I do not have the plug layout.
    I believe that you just pry off two tabs, one on either side of the radio and insert a small allen wrench of the proper size into each of the two holes. This activates a little cam that expands or contracts, allowing you to pull out the radio. If that system isn't on your 735 ( I could be thinking of the earlier ones), then it's probably removed using those slider tools you can buy at Autozone, etc.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RADIO CODE before you remove the radio!!!!!
  • sjp1993sjp1993 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone please help, because BMW Dealer cannot. My 1998 740il shuts off when I press on the brake. In addition, when I put it in reverse it makes a loud knock. I took it to the dealer over 3 months ago (it is still there) and they cannot seem to figure out what is wrong with the car. At this point they told me they cannot fix it and wants me to pick it up. Please suggest who can fix this problem. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  • rzorrillarzorrilla Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Have you figure what is going on?

r.zorrilla
  • tikocrtikocr Member Posts: 2
    Hello, yesterday I posted a question but I think it ended up in a different section of this forum, (I am new in town). I drive a 1991 BMW 750 iL and recently I had to replaced the P/S pump (used) and three original hoses. The strange thing is that at the beginning the power steering is hard and also makes a strange noise coming from somewhere bellow the left dashboard, but after a short while from driving the car, the power steering gets soft.
    Any ideas or suggestions of what to do about it? Your guidance will be very much appreciated.
    You might check the power steering pump fluid level for openers.
  • tikocrtikocr Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Mr. Shiftright for you advice. I will look into that, I will let you know what happened after is done. Thanks again
  • vicriosvicrios Member Posts: 2
    Did you replace the cup holder yourself? if so can you share how to do it? Thanx
  • prncessaoprncessao Member Posts: 2
    Hello I was reading over these messages because I also recently purchased a 2002 745i. I have had several issues that I just ignored and hoped they would go away since I have been under the impression my warranty is only 4yrs 50k miles and my car has 54k miles. I am i incorrect do I still have a warranty? Please help me. Because today I just can't take it and I know I probably can't afford right now to fix what has happened. The center console with the navi and all the bells is not ON. I don't know how it happened it was fine when I last drove it. Then a couple hours later I got back in the car to drive home and nothing I checked the fuses they all looked good turned the car on and off nothing. I don't know what is wrong. Please some one HELP! My husband is so upset because we paid so much money for this car called the Ultimate Driving Machine and it's been a nightmare especially since we traded are perfectly fine Mercedes 03 CLK. And got taken on the trade. :sick:
  • prncessaoprncessao Member Posts: 2
    Hello I was reading over these messages because I also recently purchased a 2002 745i. I have had several issues that I just ignored and hoped they would go away since I have been under the impression my warranty is only 4yrs 50k miles and my car has 54k miles. I am i incorrect do I still have a warranty? Please help me. Because today I just can't take it and I know I probably can't afford right now to fix what has happened. The center console with the navi and all the bells is not ON. I don't know how it happened it was fine when I last drove it. Then a couple hours later I got back in the car to drive home and nothing I checked the fuses they all looked good turned the car on and off nothing. I don't know what is wrong. Please some one HELP! My husband is so upset because we paid so much money for this car called the Ultimate Driving Machine and it's been a nightmare especially since we traded are perfectly fine Mercedes 03 CLK. And got taken on the trade.
  • texiana2texiana2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know...My computer screen went blank (there are flashing lines going across it) and my radio will only stay on for 2 minutes, then I have to turn it off and on again for another 2 minutes. I took it in and they thought I was going to need a $2500 part for the computer that was NOT covered under the Certified warranty! They said it ties in with the computer prob. I'm bringing it in again today to have another person look at it. Anyone have any experiences with this sort of problem?
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    I have a 'mint' 1998 740i (Mint as in looks new). I have owned it for 3.5 years and it has 63K miles. What major expenditures should I look out for as the car goes to 100K miles? (and above)

Thanks

Mike
  • deepreddeepred Member Posts: 2
    I have a knocking noise that seems to be coming from the area that the intake manifold connects to the block. it is a 3.5 6 cyl. I am not certain this is where it is coming from but it seems to be. It isn't super loud, but it is certainly noticeable from 15 feet away from the car. It knocks at idle and increases accordingly with higher rpms, it doesn't really get any louder with an increase in throttle though. I was running 87 octane in it, just today I upped it to 93, could that have been it?. It has about 200,000 miles on it. I read so many thing on ignition coils and noisy injectors and rods, I really don't have a clue now. I am certainly hoping it isn't a rod. What are the characteristics of a knocking rod?
    do they knock on idle, I always thought they came in at higher rpms, or got louder with rpm increase.
    I tried taking off each plug wire one at a time and starting it but it was still present. I used a drumstick to my ear to locate it and it seemed a little less at the crackcase area and a louder around the intake area. Anyone that could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
  • deepreddeepred Member Posts: 2
    I narrowed this down to be what I believe is a very loud injector. anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Well if it IS an injector and not a valve, you can try to clean it. I doubt injector cleaner will work, you may have to take it out to a specialty shop that has the proper cleaning tool for injectors.
  • drgemaldrgemal Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am going to pick up my dream car, 745li 2005 Alpine white. It only has 8,000 miles on it. I'm buying it for 60,000, is that a good price? It has the 4yr or 50,000 mile warranty on it, should I get the extended warranty? If so how much is it?
    You can use Edmunds' own appraisal software. It's very good! Use the "price with options" choice for a more accurate number.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/index.html
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Hello,

Just got an 03 CPO 745 Li with abt 22k miles. Have had the vehicle for abt 3 weeks now. All is fine except the following.

When the car has been running (driving around for 20 min or so), I hear a slight knock coming from somewhere under the hood when the car is in park or idle. I also note the rpm drops from the normal 0.5 to abt 0.25 momentarily (maybe a 1/2 second or so but its corrected on its own). The knock and drop in rpm happen at the same time. Any ideas what this can be? When the car is in motion, all is fine - very smooth.

Also, I recently hit a pretty nasty bump in the road, causing some wheel alignment issues. I'm thinking of having some reputable tire center correct that, not the dealer. But friends have been telling me to go the dealer to get this corrected. Any input?

Thanks.
  • springgoosespringgoose Member Posts: 4
    the navigation system and radio buttons will not respond. screen on, radio can be changed on steering wheel, but cannot change with menu button to cd or am- and no navigation- is it just a fuse? thanks everyone
  • rvorbaurvorbau Member Posts: 3
    Have the same problem, Exactly! Never have taken to the dealer. Been searching for days in various forums to find a fix. Nothing out there. Please let me know what the second opinion was/is.

Thanks
    I give up, I am going to have my buddy take it into the dearlership this week, and would be happy to report back
    Been thinking through this one after week of observations. Must be some kind of fuse that trips for the nav system when hot? Should not be a computer problem as you (I) can still access info on the dash. Therefore the main? computer is still receiving and sending info. Seems to work fine when first initialized, then after 20 minutes or so, screen locks up, radio turns off, etc. Was on a long round trip yesterday and paid close attention to the interval of radio shutting down. Every 3 minutes exactly. Must be a fuse or nav computer software glitch. I'm going to try and upgrade in software to see if it's a fix, then fuses, then hard reboot (disconnect power source) Will let you know if this is a fix.
  • cjennjrcjennjr Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 745i and the idle was going below 500 rpm at times, especially at stop lights, signs, etc. Even though it was smooth during driving, the drop in rpm was annoying and it seemed as though the engine would shut down, then jump back up to 600 rpm. I took it to my local BMW dealer and they adjusted the idle to 700 rpm at rest. I haven't had any problems since. A simple fix. Otherwise, could not be more impressed with my Bimmer!!!!
    UPDATE...May have found the fix! Downloaded version 26 software upgrade, followed instructions for the upgrade exactly, and now(cross my fingers)the problem seemed to fix itself. Will see how it goes in the coming days.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will relay this information to my dealer. The car has been with the dealer since last Saturday and the dealer is working with BMW b/c they cant seem to figure it out.

Also, does your rpm slightly jump up when the AC is on? When my AC is off, at rest my rpm is sitting at .5. Once the AC is enabled, the RPM jumps to about 0.7 (and stays there till the AC is disabled). Just wanted to know is this was normal or not. My wife has an 01 X5 and this behavior doesnt occur on her vehicle.

Thanks!
    I can't see why BMW has to keep your vehicle for such an extended period of time just to check the idling issue - seems strange. At one point before my local dealer fixed the problem I had with my car, the tach needle was "idle hunting," going up and down below 500 rpm, especially when I had no auxiliary equipment in operation (A/C, defroster, etc).

My rpm does increase to a little above 700 rpm when the AC is on, and once it is off, the rpm goes down to around 600 rpm. I believe this to be normal due to increased load on engine when the A/C is turned on.
    So I called my dealer asking if the tech has tried adjusting the rpm at idle to 700 rpms at rest. Service rep indicates that the tech working on the car is the best they have and is pretty sure he's tried it - whatever. Service rep mentioned they have a pullman case opened (not sure if I heard him correctly though - could be called something else) with BMW on this issue.

At least the dealer gave me an 06 530i (as a loaner) with the sport package which handles great. Now I regret (and only regret so far) not having the sport package on the 745. Vehicle still handles great, but Im sure the 7 woulda been a lot more nimble and not feel like the boat it is w/o the sport package. Next 7 series I purchase will definitely have the sport package.
    Hope you get the problem fixed, even though driving an '06 5 Series isn't bad either!

The sports package on the BMW's are the best - firm, yet comfortable ride, and with the 19" wheels for the 7 Series, the look really catches the eye, especially chrome 19's!!
  • kevin3344kevin3344 Member Posts: 5
    In some cases the warranty for an 02/03 is 6yrs/100k. Not sure so check with your dealer. Lost of times its an software update. Let us know what happens as I was thinking about trading in my perfectly good Lexus for a 745, but I can't bring myself to do it given the ongoing issues with these models.
    I went to LeighBMW in Raleigh last week and thought about trading in my Lexus for an 03 745. I took the 745 out for a test drive, and honestly it was the best car I’ve ever driven. From what I’ve been reading, however, it’s not the best to own. I can’t even imagine having some of the minor problems owners incur, let alone a major one. The car had a little over 40,000 miles on it, and the salesman told me about the 6yr/100k warranty, but I can’t bring myself to purchase the vehicle. I keep thinking, what if this car turns out to be a lemon, and I traded in a perfectly good vehicle with no problems? For the price, the 745 should be much more dependable.
    Hi Kevin,

How was the 745 a better driving exp compared to your Lexus? Did your 745 come equipped with the sport package? I'm really picky when it comes to wind noise etc, and I think my buddies lexus has a quieter cabin than my 03 745Li (but barely). And when my car is idle, it is definitely not as quiet when compared to the Lexus. Of course when I drive my car, the driving exp is a lot more enjoyable :)
    Hi sadatx, there was a little more road feel with the BMW, but I haven't decided yet on whether to trade my car in just yet. To tell you the truth, I'm a little concerned after all of the reading I've been doing. My friend has a 325i and he's never had a problem with it. Of course, it doesn't have the iDrive and much of the technology the 745 does. What has your ownership experience been like with the 745? It will need to be a lot more dependable for me to make a move. An extended warranty is one thing; but time and inconvenience is another.
    Hi Kevin,

Ive had my 745 for abt a month now (but its been with the dealer for 2 weeks of the one month ive owned it). I took the vehicle for regular service and a few minor issues. turns out one issue isnt so minor (an rpm issue). dealer cant seem to figure it out and is working with bmw on the matter. aside from that, its been fine. but i wouldnt be a good example considering ive only had the vehicle for such a short period of time. two of my buddies also has 7 series. one has an 02 745Li and the other an 03 760Li. both are happy with their vehicles but they do mention the glitches of idrive, etc all the time. my wife has an 01 X5 and its been great. only time will tell if my 7 will be good to me.
    Hi sadatx, let me know what happens when you get it back.

I went back to Leith BMW today to test drive a 02 and 03 745. I asked for the Vehicle History Report on both autos, which my salesman provided. The 02 had a history of 18 service issues. In the comment section of the report there was an entry that read: “Bmw trade assist vehicle, ineligible for intial enrollment in bmw cpo program in CA or states with similar restrictions”. I’m not sure what that meant, but it wasn't something I wanted to see.

The 03 745 had a much better history and drove much better. There were only 6 service dates which looked like normal service dates; for the most part the car was in and out of service in two days or less. Just what I wanted to see. However, we could not meet on the price. The car was on the lot for $49,999, dealer came down to $47,500, I offered $45,000. Maybe I'm asking too much, not sure, but I think that is a fair price for a cpo 7 (?)
  • bmrwifebmrwife Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I hope you can enlighten me as to how often brakes need to be replaced on our 740Il. We had them done 20K miles ago (7 months) and now the brake lining lights message is coming on? I need help! Thanks!
    bmrwife :sick:
    Hi Kevin,

I got my car back finally. The dealer recalibrated thirteen modules (not sure what that means) and so far, the issue hasnt surfaced. Im gonna give it a few weeks or so to ensure the issue has disappeared.

I would stay away from the 02 you drove. From reading the comments, I think the vehicle wont qualify as having a clean title.

The 03 you drove has a similiar service history as mine. I would also look for any paint work (from previous accidents, etc), misaligned chrome trim (if this is not the sports package) on the bumpers, etc. What options did the 03 have? How many miles? I think your offer is reasonable - the 7s dont exactly have a waiting list :) I paid $45,500 (dealer had it listed for $52k) for an 03 Sterling Gray/Black leather combo that had 22k miles. Options on my vehicle were:

* Convenience Package
    * Luxury Seating Package
    * Premium Sound Package
    * Tire pressure monitor
    * 19" wheels w/performance tires
    * Park Distance Control

I bought it from a VW/MB dealer b/c I couldnt find black leather with low miles for the life of me from a BMW dealer! So technically, my vehicle isnt a CPO BMW. I wasnt to concerned with the CPO stamp as I was with the additional 2yr, 50k mile warranty (which applies to most 02s and 03s). I emailed BMWNA prior to purchasing the car to be certain the vehicle qualified for the additional warranty - and it did :) I also had to sacrifice the promotional financing that BMW was offering (maybe they still are) on the CPO 03s. They were offering 3.9% for 5 years. I ended up paying 5% thru my credit union.
    Hi sadatx,

Good to hear about your car. The 03 I drove had comparable options; lux seating, logic 7, park distance control. Very nice when backing up I might add! The list was $49,999 with 40,100 miles. I went in knowing I wanted to spend $45k. The dealer came down to $47.5k, which was close but not close enough. I thought he could come down a little more to tell you the truth. The financing had just went up to 4.9%, which still wasn’t bad, keeping in mind the Fed had just raised the rates and I knew it would trickle down. But like you mentioned, it was 3.9%. Pretty good in this interest rate environment.

I must say the service history on the vehicle was great, in comparison to the 02. Someone told me the 02 was probably a buy-back by BMW and I should avoid it at all costs. Going by the service history of the vehicle, I certainly will.

As it stands now, I’m going to wait and see what happens. He has several 2003 745s on the lot so I can afford to wait a bit. The saleman told me “well, these might be sold next week” but for two weeks in a row when I have driven past they are there. Every once in a while I might see one missing (out for a test drive maybe?) but for the most part they get them in regularly on trades. I also check the Leith BMW website and look at the inventory. When I see one I like I will definitely check it out.
  • rohan25rohan25 Member Posts: 4
    I can't seem to get the grin off my face. :shades: After extensive research and patience in looking for a 745 I finally pulled thr trigger today on a low miles 21K 2003 745 for around 40K. Clean history and maintenance records. Theres one problem tho' the trunk doesnt open either from the remote or the switch inside the car.

What could be the problem? Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see whether they can fix it. I hope so.
  • newbie225newbie225 Member Posts: 1
    That looks like a great deal. Can you tell me where you've got such a great deal. Currently I am looking around and found one place for 03 745Li with 17k miles for around $52k. After your deal this doesn't look too good.?
    73,000 miles and the computer board that handles the navigation and cd player, and radio is out to the tune of a new board from East Bay BMW for 500 bucks! anyone else have this problem?