Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• laakylaaky Member Posts: 13
    I have read all the comments on the 3.0l, anybody have any buying info on the 4.8i's Should we still be able to purchase at below invoice? Anyone purchased one in the last month or so?
  • ohnims2ohnims2 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,

I just went to the dealership today for an 09 X5 3.0 in upstate NY
    With the premium pkg, cold weather pkg, rear climate pkg, technology pkg,
    comfort access, 3rd row seat, running boards and ipod adaptor,
    MSRP was 59,275 and I was offered 56,465 and the guy told me that
    it is "about" 1,200 over the invoice.

Does it sound good to you guys?
    I have no trade-ins by the way.
    Thanks
    Had a similar quote, $1225 over invoice from Keeler. Which dealer quoted this in upstate NY? Of course I have no problem as long as both us have made a reasonable deal in this ecomony.
    If it is the same dealer, may have to check on a couple others to know. We may wait until 2009 to see what happens as a result of the ecomony before we buy. Prices should only go down.
    Mine was from Orange County BMW, and from edmunds.com, the invoice is
    54,485 for mine, which means that the price they gave me was 2k over the invoice.
    And because the economy's bad, I have a fear that I might get ripped off, so I'm going to try Prestige like today or tomorrow, and I'll let you know what happens.
    I would ask the dealer how he came up with $1200 vs $1980 from Edmunds. I would expect that Edmunds uses the correct pricing data. If the dealers are honest to explain then ok, if they made a mistake, ok...but if they are just confusing you with incorrect information, I'd speak to the manager. Let me know how it goes. I also make sure the price they give you includes the destination charge so there is not confusion for that line item when they tally everything up.
    Yes, the price definately had the destination charge included, because the MSRP page that we've been looking at was the bmwusa.com's build your own thing.
    Also, the guy who came out to talk to me I think was the manager, and I did have an impression that they were being dishonest with me, that's why I'm planning to talk to some other dealer. I mean, I'm going to be financing, and 1k wouldn't make a huge difference in monthly payments, but I do not want to buy a car with a feeling of getting ripped off especially around this time...
    And for the difference in invoice price, maybe there is an advertising fee in it? I really don't know..
    Yes check around, I am sure all the sales people are hungry. (wanted to see a 2008 that Ralley BMW quoted a price on, but wasn't at his lot...he wouldn't allow us to go see it unless we put down a deposit...that's not the quality of BMW salespeople I want to deal with. You may want to e-mail Keeler in Albany and tell them you are interested in a new vehicle at $1000 over invoice and ask if they are interested to look at that with you. Bet they will. Send them the MSRP and Invoice price on the vehicle options you want as provided by Edmunds and see what they say. My second price was $1225 over invoice whether I had a trade or not. Have dealt with this dealer before and have only good things to say so far..
    Thanks, but I'm not sure if I want to go that far to buy a car, because I live near Woodbuy Commons. I don't know why salespeople make our lives so much more difficult... Especially the ones from BMW's and such since you would expect more from them. I Think I'm just going to contact Prestige, which is about 30 mins away from my place and tell them what offer I've gotten from OC and see what I would get from there. Last time I got a quote from OC and went to Prestige to see if they could do better, Prestige told me they couldn't beat the price, so I'm guessing OC does offer honest pricings, but hey, who knows unless you work for them.
    I do expect more from BMW vs our national car brands, but some salespeople just don't click with you as much as others. In these times, easy to say you have shopped around but would prefer to deal as close to home as possible. Good luck and let me know if you do buy and what deal you got.
  • bmanpcbmanpc Member Posts: 6
    jayrider sent me here for assitance, specifically jvost...

Please help me on a 2008 X5 3.0 lease in upstate NY. It is a holdover DEMO with 2,500 miles. MSRP $55,325, Selling price $49,700 Lease: 36 mo./12k miles
    Includes: Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 3rd Row, Rear Climate, Rear DVD & Park Distance
    Residual is (56%)? & Money X = .00125 (3%)
    Monthly payment $699.66; included taxes and zero $ down payment

Question 1: is this a good deal or could they come down? they wouldn't budge when I asked for accessories or lower payment. should i just take it at $699 or what is the REAL monthly # I can get this down to? dealer said "No X5 goes below $700 with zero down". Any truth to this?
    $2,405 due at signing (inception fees)
    $699.66 1st month
    $625 bank fee
    $225 office fee
    $155 plates
    $700 security deposit

Question 2: can i negotiate any of the fees (bank & office)?
    Since the car is a demo I lose my BMW CCA loyalty rebate, and the dealer will still not budge. Dealer in NY said if I don't pull the trigger by Tuesday, he will not honor the offer and has other buyers wanting the car.
    Questiion 3: What can I get him to throw in or work with me on? Possible tire waranty since they are run flats?
    Please help me, I need to decide in next 48 hours.
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    So my lease is ending on 12/4/08 and yesterday I went to a local BMW dealer in Orange County, where I purchased the car. I wanted to see if I could negotiate on the buy out of around $26K. After a bunch of runaround type answers, he told me that it would be the cost of the buyout plus $2500 to certify it (CPO) which make the price of the car around $28K with 48k miles. My question is has anyone had any luck lowering the residual/buyout price?
    Had I landed here from Mars yesterday, the way he was acting I would have though that there were 100 people in line waiting to but a used X5, meaning that cars would be just selling like crazy. I think that a selling strategy for them is to just not acknowledge that there is a recession and therefore not showing the customer that we have the upper hand in this market. I may try another dealer to see if I can get the price down, otherwise they'll get stuck with a car with almost 50K miles on it, that in the next year or two will depreciate like mad.
    I went to Prestige and they guy told me that the quote from the OC was not 2k over the invoice. The guy didn't tell me what the invoice on it was, but he said he could sell it for 165 less than OC which isn't a huge difference. So the final quote from Prestige is 56000, and I plan to take it to OC and ask if they can match that.
    Any news with yours?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I think BMW is very inflexible when it comes to negotiating lease buy outs. My Dad had an '04 X5 3.0iA with close to 80,000 miles on it when the lease ended. He had bought the extended maintenance (which worked out in our favor because we got the Inspection II and a new set of brake pads from it). I was in the market for a car at the time and wanted to see what the buyout was. The car was in PERFECT shape and had extended maintenance until 100K miles. BMW would NOT negotiate the buyout. I guess they'd rather take a chance at an auction :confuse:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Bmw does not see that there is recession. It is that simple. Make your offer and tell them to give you a call on Jan 30th if they can find the time . Make sure the person in charge knows you made a reasonable offer and you are walking. Jvost on the 5 series thread got 8-9k under residual to buy his return car. Maybe you are in the wrong showroom in the wrong place.
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    So what happened? Let us all know.
  • 6degrees6degrees Member Posts: 19
    For example, how to tell an X5 is 2009 or 2008 by the outside and inside? Or by VIN?

Anybody knows?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I'm pretty sure the 10th digit of the VIN (8th from the other end) is the year.. I'll check on it, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The 10th digit of the VIN..

8 = 2008

9 = 2009

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the info.

Is there any way to tell by looking at X5, inside or outside?

The front seat head-rest looks different. Is it just 3.0 vs 4.8? Or 2008 vs 2009?

Appreciated.
    No idea on the headrests.. I think the X5 comes with three different available seats, so that might be a hard way to tell, anyway.. You can see the VIN on the left dashboard, through the windshield.

I'm just not that familiar with the new X5 to know trim differences between years.. Possibly another member will chime in...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How much BMW dealer may discount on 2009 X5 3.0? $3000 less MSRP? Anybody has experience?

I spoke to one sales. He said the bad economic condition seems no impact on BMW sales. I can't believe it.
  • ebber77ebber77 Member Posts: 2
    The difference between a 2008 and 2009 model will be clearly stated by the model designation... 2008's "si" vs 2009's "xDrive"
    Oh yeah!!

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ebber77ebber77 Member Posts: 2
    The salespeople at BMW wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't say sales weren't impacting them. I heard from one dealer that this was the case. I thanked him and let him know that I was going to another dealership to get a real quote. Sure enough, the next dealer ended up selling me the x5 for 7,000 under MSRP or $3,000 under invoice. These guys are hurting like everyone and need to move merchandise. Don't be fooled by pressure tactics and salesmen saying the economy for BMW is fine. If you want to negotiate a good deal, let them know you're shopping around. Most importantly, be prepared to walk - the economy's not getting better anytime soon and the glut of cars out there won't disappear anytime soon. Happy Hunting!
  • speedy33speedy33 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard of any dealer incentives being offered by BMW on the X5? I saw Acura just offered some new ones (2k) on their 09 MDXs.
    Thanks for the inputs.

I am surprised you could get $7000 under MSRP for 2009 X5. Where in the country for this? Is it for brand new order? Or just pick a inventory? If not inventory but fresh new order, how long it taks to get ready? 4 weeks? Happy for you.
    One of the BMW dealer told me if it is a 2008 X5, he can give me $4000 or $5000 less MSRP. For 2009 X5, he can only offer -$2000.

How did you get $7000 off MSRP? Can you elaborate your case? Thanks.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    make our life so difficult?

I think the salesman are asking the same question :P
    For an 08 X5, (if there are still some available)
    you would be able to get it for 7k less than MSRP or 2k-3k below invoice.

But for 09 X5, the most I heard was about 3k below MSRP or about 1k above
    Invoice.

BMW is impacted by the economy, there's no doubt, but it's one of the least affected by the slowed economy.

But, the bad economy isn't going to get better anytime soon, so just shopping around and being ready to walk away would definately help.
    just bought the diesel X-5, 2009 with $3600 below MSRP.Heard alot of excellent comments on the diesel and hope that they are all true. 2008 X-5's are going for at least $1500 below invoice to compensate for the premium pkg that was offered for free early in the fall. SO with the economy, I would hope you can get $2K or more depending upon letting the salesman make a living also. Diesel also has a $1500 federal tax incentive.
  • faye94faye94 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a X5 3.0 2009. I got 2800 off of MSRP in Houston.
    God Luck.
  • Boston001Boston001 Member Posts: 6
    I got a quote from a dealer in Boston area, saying I could get a new '09 X5 with $500 abolve the invoice... Not sure if this is a reasonable deal. Any comments? Thanks!
    That sounds like a really good deal,
    because from where I live, I'm still doing a research, in upstate NY,
    the dealers are only willing to give me about 1k above invoice.
    Do you have a trade-in?
  • armando1967armando1967 Member Posts: 8
    The TMV price does it includes the dealer fees, tag and taxes?, or this is all separate from this price or for any of the 3 listed prices, also is $ 499 over invoice price a good deal, will appreciate much your replies, thank you.
    yes i do, but i may not rade it in the dealer , most likely sell it to carmax.
  • Boston001Boston001 Member Posts: 6
    No, I don't have trade-in. Eventually, I'll lease the car, but for now, I just told the sales person I intend to buy it, just trying to get low MSRP first. But I think I might wait till after the X'mas and see if getting sth lower than the invoice. -
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270
    I was looking at 09 X5's and was offered $3200 off sticker on an ordered unit by a Chicago dealer. I had an 04 X5 that I traded for a 528xi and it was a nice car, but the 09's are really expensive. I ended up with an 08 Acura MDX with tech package - my wife had an 05 Acura MDX and that's what she had said she wanted anyway. The interior of the MDX isn't as nice in my opinion - especially the plasti-wood, but it was $20,000 less and she's happy.
    Here they are:

Swing Away Hitch-Mounted Bike Carrier:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.aspx?modelId=248&categoryId=80&productCat- egoryId=&menuId=3&subItemId=1&productId=521

Swing Away Hitch-Mounted Ski and Snowboard Carrier:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.aspx?modelId=248&categoryId=80&productCat- egoryId=&menuId=3&subItemId=1&productId=626

Do I need to buy and install Hitch separately before install those two? How much extra?

If I buy those, can I use them on other SUV, saying Cayenne or Lexus LX?

Are there other places I can buy similar stuff, without paying BMW extra prices?
  • speedy33speedy33 Member Posts: 6
    I've been offered a 2008 X5 demo with 6k miles on it. The MSRP is 55.5. I've been offered 48k. Is this ia good deal? Thanks for your feedback.
  • cemjackcemjack Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please post the money factor, residual, etc for 2009 X5 4.8? I am looking to lease 24-36 mos with 10-12k miles/yr. Thanks.
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    Hi cemjack,

Please let me know if you have any more questions. With $0 capitalized cost reduction, 36 months is the optimal term.

2009 BMW X5 4.8i
    24 Months - 10,000 Miles per Year - 66% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    27 Months - 10,000 Miles per Year - 64% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    30 Months - 10,000 Miles per Year - 63% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    36 Months - 10,000 Miles per Year - 60% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor

24 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 65% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    27 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 63% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    30 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 62% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor
    36 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 59% Residual - 0.00150 Money Factor

Best,
    Matt
    eights38@gmail.com
  • rt909rt909 Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased 2009 X5 3.0 for $1000 over invoice (3000 below MSRP) with following options.

Premium pkg, Tech Pkg, Cold wthr pkg, Rear climate pkg,3rdr row seat,Sirius, ipod&USB adapter, Running boards, Smartphone Integration.

I am sure you can get it at $500 abouve invoice in some places of the country. I live in DC Metro and that was the best I got from here. Email or PM me if I can be of help. Thanks.
    I am in the market to buy one for my wife, just like the one you got 3.0, with pretty much all those options, can you tell me what you ended up paying for out the door, and what was your price before any taxes and fees, also did you paid any dealer prep fees or just transportation fees, would appreaciate very much any info you can give me.
  • rt909rt909 Member Posts: 4
    Only thing I paid other than State Tax & Title is Processing fee ($349), Business License Tax($95). Edmunds invoice price with all my options is $54250 and my price is $55300. Hope this helps. I am not sure which state you live in, if you add above fees +state tax&title + $1000 over invoice, then that should give you a figure to work with. There are folks who got X5 for $500 over invoice. It all depends on supply and demand. Good luck.
  • cemjackcemjack Member Posts: 2
    Matt (eights38) - thanks for the information. Very helpful. Any other info I might need before heading down to the dealership? I used standard lease calculator with data you provided to arrive at lease payment.

Also, does anyone know where I can find lease info on BMW 3 series?

Thanks again.
  • trigger013trigger013 Member Posts: 2
    30,500 miles, paid 28500, cpo, with .90 per cent financing. black on black upgraded leather, brand new tires and first two payments on bmw.. sound like a good deal?
    One correction...

It's not a V-6

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• new2009x5ownernew2009x5owner Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 2009 x5 blacksapphire,tobacco leather,cold package premium package rear climate package,tech package ,running boards,sat radio ipod adpt,smart phone int,.......................for only first months payment 774.99 and 327 for tax title registation.at signing...............also includes tire insurace package ......good deal?
    Where are you located, if you dont mind telling me, I am in Miami, and here below $57,000 will he hard to get one, but i am considering buying the car out of state if I can save $1500 or more.
  • SpacerMSpacerM Member Posts: 6
    Reading the posts, I'm confused at to the current MF for a 2009 X5 - I've seen both .0015 and .00125 in the posts, and a dealer I contacted for an internet quote insists its now .00175.

Anyone have the real scoop?