Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Member Posts: 29
    Can someone explain how this $25k deduction thing works if you buy an X5? Sec 179 tax deduction? 6000lb vehicle? How does the X5 fit into this? thanks.
  • Options
    cpaman1cpaman1 Member Posts: 8
    The truck has to be used for business purposes. If used for business purposes you can deduct 25k this year. During 2009 you could also claim bonus depreciation of 50% of the remainder. Currently this is not available for 2010, but there is talk of this being extended. The remainder is depreciated using the MACRS convention.
  • Options
    Good morning. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new X5. Probably going to buy it outright. I'm trying to get ballpark figures on a "reasonable price" I should be paying for this. I like the dealer and have a good relationship there. Here's what I'm getting and any help I appreciate.
    -6 cyl, Cold Weather, Premium, Technology w/backup camera, Zenon lights, Sat Rad.
    Also, should I gofor 2010 if they can get it or the "facelifted 2011." Should I go for the 2011 and wait a couple of weeks? I'm not in a rush to get the car.
  • Options
    00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    If you are buying it, get the 2011 since your resale will benefit from the newer year model. If you are getting the X5 diesel then you don't have to worry about the first year/2011 8th speed new transmission potential problems.

I'd pop for the comfort seats, you will miss them...
  • Options
    What the heck are comfort seats?!
  • Options
    utsuautsua Member Posts: 1
    I am about to order an X5 2011. The internet manager (assuming he is) said that the whole thing can be done via fax (I am 1 hr drive from the dealer). Could someone explain what I can reasonably demand from the dealership? They want $1K "good faith check", and verbally promise a 60->90 days waite which seem to be reasonable. What if they never deliver after getting my check? What papers should I have in my hand before handing the "good faith" check over? What set of reasonable conditions should I have them written down (other than my options) etc.
    Many thanks for any input :)
  • Options
    desi_bmwownerdesi_bmwowner Member Posts: 7
    Where did you get this price ? Is 50K out the door price for 2010 or 2011? Mean it include the Tax+Title+Doc. If is it so , then very good price .
  • Options
    For Year 2010 Tax
    If Total cost of X5 is 60000.

Then Tax Deduction is 25000+ .20(60,000-25000) = 25000+7000 =32,000
    If you r in 25% tax bracket . Then you will get 8000 in Tax return . If you buy
    diesel, there 1800 more in Tax Return .

For year 2009,
    The calculation is different . Contact your CPA.
  • Options
    About to pull the trigger. Have a couple of ques hoping someone could help me with. If I place an order today, I assume it would be for a 2011 X5, not a 2010, coming out of SC. I was told if I financed a 2011 now BMW is at 4.9%. Dealer said no idea as to what might come April 1. Has anyone heard seen anything on this? Would it go up/down? Pricing. Looking at $54,470 to flat out purchase 2010 X5, 6 cyl, cold weather, premium, tech package. This a good price? For same car only 2011 I was quoted $59,270. But that was no negotiating, just the price "in the system." I need some help with this. Trying to get a good "ballpark" read on what I should be looking at for 2011. Thank you.
  • Options
    dlplohdlploh Member Posts: 21
    The process is correct, except you MUST have a VIN# assigned to your order. You also write your VIN# onto the memo line of your check. You also can receive a fax with the car that is going to arrive which lists the options and vin#.

The vin# is known. This allows you to look up the process of the car too once you sign up on bmwusa.
  • Options
    dlplohdlploh Member Posts: 21
    Have you been to truecar dot com and edmunds tmv? X5's competition, the ML, goes for approx 8-10% off sticker/msrp.
  • Options
    brp72brp72 Member Posts: 2
    Ok guys I'm looking for a preowned 2008 X5, 3.0 with relatively low miles.

I found one out of state, 2008 X5 3.0 without any options but it has 17XXX miles on it, and is certified. It has a clean car fax and is in mint condition. The dealer will sell it for $38,500. This is about what I want to spend. Should I go for this car without any of the options? I don't care about the tech package but the premium package would be nice. Any advice? I don't have to do anything right now so i can be patient.. just need some advice.
  • Options
    tcubetcube Member Posts: 2
    I am in the same boat as well. 2008 x5 3.0 with 17xxx miles in arizona and the delar posted a price of 39,995 which they dropped it to 38,995 on their site. The dealer called me and said he can give it to me at 37,995 + tax and doc. Would it be a good deal, the vehicle does not come with any options. It would be nice to have the rear view camera and navigation at least. Any advice on the pricing would be of great help.
  • Options
    brp72brp72 Member Posts: 2
    Funny that is the same car I was referring to. The white 08, X5. I originally was going to buy it for $38,500 but backed out because it has absolutely no options. This is really odd - every X5 that I have looked at had at least the premium package and this one didn't even have that. I'm sure it's a nice car but I wanted to be able to resell it at a later date and the lack of options will probably hurt the resale value 3+ years down the road. I found another one with the tech package, premium package and rear entertainment system for $39,800 so I decided to buy it instead. A couple extra thousand but I think it will pay off 3+ years from now. Keep checking auto trader and ebay because eventually you will find one you like.
  • Options
    tcubetcube Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Its a small world afterall..:-) strange that we both were looking at the same one. I am actively looking on the net for good deals across US but kind of skeptical to move forward with it as I am not sure how the taxes would work out. On top of it the shipping would have to be paid again also as one would not be able to test drive the vehicle and see if its the same as they say on their ads or not. If you are buying through internet pl let me know how the process works.
  • Options
    Y'know I did but trucar isa little feisty. For whatever reason its not posting the 2011 models. It also doesnt allow you to put in all the bells and whisles that you order with the car. Is this price accurate, reasonable?
  • Options
    Also, the 2011 X5 is priced higher than the 2010.
  • Options
    I will be paying 52000 +tax +title for 2011 x5 diesel with following option ( Ganley BMW , Cleveland, OH)

Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    Tech Pack
    Rear Weather
    Roof Rail
    Running Board
    USB / Ipod
  • Options
    Not believing that one. You guys are unreal.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    While your disbelief has been duly noted, perhaps there's a more polite way to question a stated price. For instance, a trade may be involved that lowered the price on the new vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Well
    I have posted the name of Dealer . Please google the dealer and find the phone number and called. As per forum rule, I cannot post the name of salesperson . If i would be allowed , I am not afraid of upload the scan copy of purchase contract
  • Options
    There is no trade involve. Diesel has the ECO Credit of 4500 from BMW.
  • Options
    chimpi99chimpi99 Member Posts: 15
    desi_bmwowner,

Is this a new IRS rule for 2010 tax? I could not find anything related to it on IRS website. can you tell me where you saw this perhaps a link would help.
    TIA.
  • Options
    newstart2010newstart2010 Member Posts: 4
    I got more quotation from 3 dealers. One is 40 miles away.
    Costco's price is still the best.
    BTW, my production number still cannot go through, and still no contract has been signed or deposit charging.
  • Options
    seiyaseiya Member Posts: 3
    What is the Costco Auto purchase price for X5?
  • Options
    carbuyer2012carbuyer2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    the $4500 ECO Credit is an Incentive by BMW:
    www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2010/X5/xDrive35d/SpecialOffers.aspx
    The ECO Credit is scheduled to end April 30th 2011. It is available on current 2010 and 2011 BMW diesel vehicles.

The X5 diesel currently also qualified for $1800 Alternative Fuel tax credit from the Federal(BMWUSA website listing it inaccurately as $900).

I also recently ordered a 2011 X5 diesel for $500 above invoice(not including the eco credit):

2011 X5 Diesel
    Premium Package
    Tech Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Heated Front Seats
    3r Row Seats
    Running Board

$500 above invoice minus $4500 eco Credit = Total $52,576
    Then next tax season minus another $1800(alternative fuel tax credit).
  • Options
    newfannewfan Member Posts: 1
    Don't you mean you ordered, since they (2011s) aren't available yet ... ?
  • Options
    oiakouoiakou Member Posts: 26
    This forum has been very helpful for me, so posting this info for those looking for the last few of 2010 3.0 X5 remaining on the market. I pulled the trigger on the following lease on March 31st, 2010.

Car: MSRP: 58125 (Base 47600, Cold Weather Pkg 1250, Premium 3400, Rear Climate Pkg 900, Tech Pkg 2800, Spare 150, Running Boards 300, Roof Rails 100, iPod&USB 400, Sat Radio 350, Dest 875)

Lease: 36mo, 10K/year
    Monthly: 740.87 including NY Tax
    Out of Pocket: 2922

Lease Details:
    Buy Price: 53990.10
    Adjusted Cap Cost: 56344.13
    Out of pocket: 2922 (Capt Cost Reduction 76, 1st Mo 740, Sec Deposit 750, Reg Fee 295, Acq Fee 875, Doc Fee 185)
  • Options
    goldenbear94goldenbear94 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me which dealer you got the deal from? I live in CA but haven't seen anybody offer that good of a price. Thanks.
  • Options
    carbuyer2012carbuyer2012 Member Posts: 2
    I bought mine in Virginia, if you're in CA check out this link:
    www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438594

A few people on there posted dealerships that gave them good deals.
    Btw, I forgot to add the $875 Destination fee. So my total price is :$53,451
  • Options
    nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    I'm in the Bay Area and have been able to negotiate a $250 over invoice minus the $4500 deal. The one thing I'm not sure of is the trailer hitch The dealer is telling me the only option is to have them install the hitch once it's at the dealership at a cost of $1.2K. I realize it's not a factory option but it seems they should be able to do it at the port for a lot less. The ML/GL and Porsche/Audi/VW hitches are all in the $550 range.

Anyone have any experience with this?
  • Options
    zheckszhecks Member Posts: 50
    Anyone has the 2011 X5 availability date? All BMW said, was shortly after the NYC Autoshow. It is over now.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kl07rphkl07rph Member Posts: 22
    Zhecks, dealers are taking orders on 2011s now if you're interested....dealer allocations should be arriving on the lots in ~4 weeks according to my SA. Hope this helps
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    Hi nkole, can you share with me the dealer you negotiated for $250 over invoice for 2011 X5 in bay area? shawli@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Shaw
  • Options
    jyddsjydds Member Posts: 2
    Can you please tell me which dealer you bought your car from? Your price is significantly less than what I have been offered. Please email me at hi2junkmail@gmail.com the dealer information. I'm in Northern California.

And anyone who sees this post, please see below and make comments on the offer I got based on your experience.

2011 X5 xDrive 35d
    Premium package
    Technology package
    Running board
    Roof rail
    iPod/USB adapter
    Retail $59,175
    sale price $56,045
    less eco credit $4,500
    Net sale price $51,545 + fees
    Or total out-the-door $56,900
  • Options
    jyddsjydds Member Posts: 2
    Please share with me where you got your car. hi2junkmail@gmail.com Thank you very much for sharing in advance!
  • Options
    I had paid 52000 +tax +title for 2011 x5 diesel with following option ( Ganley BMW , Cleveland, OH)

Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    Tech Pack
    Rear Weather
    Roof Rail
    Running Board
    USB / Ipod

Cold weather cost me $ 820 more and Rear Climate Package is another $ 820.00.
    I think your net sale price should be 51,545 -1640
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    It seems dealers are more willing to deal 2010 X5 diesel on lot those days and deals for 2011 are still hard to find for < $500 over invoice. As the ECO credit is expiring in two weeks I would like to know your thought on buying 2010 vs 2011 to get the discount before month end.

What is the major difference between 2010 and 2011 except face lifting? Side camera?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hello everyone

Wife and are finally decided on a 2010 X5 3.0. Considering the arrival of the 2011 soon, wondering if invoice plus 1000-1500 is feasible for the Chicago/suburbs area. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, models we're looking at include cold weather, rear climate, tech, prem, sat, ipod, comfort access...also considering similar model w/ rear entertainment in addition (for the future kiddies)
  • Options
    I would not buy a 2010 3.0 at this time even if it was less than invoice.

Not when the base 2011 X5 is the 3.0 twin vein/ single turbo that is so sweet with about 300 HP and 300 TQ with an 8 speed tranny. I know it hurts to wait but if you are keeping it for few years you will be much happier.

A grand over invoice for the 2011 will be common in a few months...

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the insight!!

I'd like to consider the N55 engine, however the outgoing engine it is replacing (N54, current one used in " "35i models) is highly known for its high-pressure fuel pump failures. Any new engine (albeit twin-scroll and single-turbo GOODNESS *drools*) AND transmission is just asking for trouble as BMW has a poor track record for first-release designs. As much as the new N55 engine sounds, I'd decline now until it proves itself over the next few years.

Anyway, I was just initially offered invoice plus <1k at a dealer for the 3.0L, so i guess it's possible it can go at or below invoice
  • Options
    sandbsandb Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a BMW X5 (preferably a 2011 model) in the next couple of months. My buying time is flexible, which can be any time from now till Sep this year. Given this, I'd like to see people's recommendation on when to pull the trigger.

I understand that the ECO credit is expiring this month. Should I hurry to buy and get this credit before it expires, or it would make more sense to wait another couple of months for possible better deals?

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • Options
    I think if you hold off you will be fine with the diesel ECO credit =). That tax incentive has been prolonged for who knows how long...plus I've heard through the grapevine (currently working w/ an awesome CA) that the 2011s for next month still include the 4500 credit hehe. Goodluck!
  • Options
    If you are worried about the new 8 spd tranny then consider the X5 diesel. I have one and it rocks. I don't know what the incentives currently provide but there was a hugh eco credit from BMW and a Fed 1800 diesel credit making it nearly the same price as the gasoline 3.0 but the diesel has 425ft.lbs of torque and 30% or so better mileage.

I had a 335i twin turbo and I never had a problem with anything on the car, fuel pump or otherwise. I followed the internet boards and suspect the rate of fuel pump failures were less than 1%. I totally understand your trepidation regarding the new engine and new tranny. Consider the diesel, no downside I have found!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I ordered my 2010 X5d last August when the eco credit was due to end. It has been due to end nearly every month since. ... While there are no certainties here, I suspect the BMW diesel credit (and federal $1800 til 60,000 are sold) will still be around in August 2011...
  • Options
    00boxsters:

Haha, you nailed it with the X5d! Test drove it yesterday after much consideration and am in LOVE with that added torque and fuel economy!! Now just need to convince the wife (who will be the primary driver) that this isn't the old school clanky diesel *Benz comes to mind* of the 80s.

Glad to see a fellow 3 series owner also...although I'll be honest, I chickened out and opted for the 328i because of those hpfp failures prevalent on the internet forums.
  • Options
    anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2010
    The diesel Ecocredit isn't a "tax incentive". It's a credit/subsidy from BMW. The $1,800 Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit from the federal government is separate from the Ecocredit.

The Ecocredit probably will be continued for a period of time. The volcano in Iceland caused a production bottleneck for the new X5 in April and orders have been delayed, so BMW probably will not discontinue the credit when orders are delayed. (Quote from my contact at BMW North America "Vehicles are bottle-necked for position due to the delay on parts from Germany due to the volcano.")

My 2011 X5's production was set for week 18 (first part of May) and was bumped to week 22 because of the volcano. BMW's plant in South Caroline uses just in time inventory, meaning that engines, transmissions, etc are produced and shipped from Europe after an order is placed and arrives just as assembly begins. The ground halt for shipping during the volcano interrupted parts supplies.
  • Options
    Funny how three days of Volcanic Ash flight delays in parts of Europe pushed back production in the USA four weeks.

I also understand (from a BMW focused site) that production does not stop in S.C. for BMW when a part is not available. They produce the vehicle and just have it sit there awaiting the part.
  • Options
    1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    We are considering the X5 diesel. Will there be improvements in 2011 to the iPhone interface and especially the voice recognition? The main competition is MDX, which has superior voice recognition. You can simply tell it what to do in any category (phone, climate, radio, playlists, maps, etc.) and it does what you say. My wife found the X5 required several operations to do this (especially if a change of category is needed) and the phone apparently gets connected in the glove box. I thought the X5d drove very well although the ac fan was very very noisy even at the lowest speed.

Appreciate any info on 2011 improvements to the electronics and the noisy fan; otherwise, we are probably headed toward the MDX.
  • Options
    The 2011's are on the lot's to test drive. The new iDrive just came out in 2010 for the X5 so I doubt any significant change on the 2011. Recheck another vehicle because the a/c fan is entirely silent on low.

If the voice recognition is such a major focus for you/wife then go with the boring/bland MDX techno 'value'.