Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    Do you mind sharing who you work with at the dealership, I am in the market for similarly equiped vehicle and not having much luck with the dealer near me.

Thanks!
  • simonsmom2simonsmom2 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    Cannot decide which one to buy. Going back and forth and growing weary.
    Live in So. Cal. Finally found a white ADV pack MDX. Driving Acuras since 1986.
    Would love a change and love that BMW x5 35i Premium in Bronze. It has a smaller rear seat and cargo area for dogs, but drives beautifully. So does the larger mdx. Anyone else stuck in this indecision?
  • aggienjneeraggienjneer Member Posts: 1
    Sup Chris,

Did you order your x5 yet?
  • bimmervoybimmervoy Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2010
    I just went through the same ordeal. My wife & I are soon running out on a lease of a '07 BMW X3 (2nd one already) that we both really liked but felt that we've outgrown it now with 2 kids & occasional family guest(s) on weekends. So since I'm also a Honda/Acura "man" (from the past) we've considered a pre-owned MDX ...but after taking it for a drive and a much closer look at how that SUV felt all-around, I didn't feel its "value" in that $ range - it was flimsy and hollow in comparison; just shut the door and the entire roof pops-up about an inch!... the hood seams like a meager little lid, but it does weight 400lb less.
    We considered a cert. '08 MDX w/ Tech pkg. for $40k+ …but NO roof-rails?!?!...or running-boards, or $50+K for a new one – that’s a LOT for a Honda in a “fancy dress” …plus all the maintenance costs right from the start.

For the same $ you can get into ’07 X5, but it was impossible to find the color/opt.combo we wanted w/ low ml, so after I learned that 2011 got a new 300hp 3L-turbo (finally) …that is as fast as the old V8 but burns less fuel as the old I6, we’ve decided it made sense to order exactly what we wanted for the “long-haul” (8-10 years) and went for it. $57K for Premium Pkg (White/Cinnamon int.:)) w/ 3rd-row + running boards. Instead of going with a lease again (that lately suck) we took the signature-loan where you pay the rest of your “down-pay” at the end of your loan if you want to keep it or trade-it in like you own it. Our “load-down”: $12k down + $500/m (60m)+ $22k at the end (w/ NJ tax) …but you’ll love the $0 maintenance for 4y/50k valued at ~$3K.

As a warning! once you get used to a Bimmer driving-dynamics, quality & service (I also own a used 2006 330i that seems as new for 1/2 the price) you will have a very hard time in trying to justify going Japanese for a few $K less. BTW since before X3, we had a 2001A4 Avant (it was ok, but nothing great) so we test drove the Q5 which looks great, nice size, but handles like any other “Toyota” for way more $ …and Q7 just too big & "in your face". There are many fine vehicles out there to compare, but NONE have that specific BMW driving “feel” in my opinion – unfortunately it takes a little more than a “lame” test-drive to truly appreciate that.
    Even my wife is hooked on it, and feels everything else handles like a mini-bus.
    GOOD LUCK in your decision - either way you'll be driving above all in this class; after all I don't want to see everybody else driving Bimmers ...just kidding.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I must concur. As a former Acura and Honda owner, I must say that Honda MoCo has the value and utility equation dead to balls. Sadly, they are BORING beyond imagination. At least Lexus can bore me with silence and quality but not Honda/Acura.

I learned (never too late) that being saddled with a boring but handy vehicle that saved me a buck is not worth it. Unless you just start your car and simply drive to where you need to go with no other concern, get the Bimmer.
  • zoomazooma Member Posts: 19
    We went through similar analysis and have ended up ordering the X5 (also Alpine White/Cinnamon) -- can't wait to get it. I have loved my prior two MDXs but just couldn't bare the thought of getting yet another one (imho no other SUVs came close to these two in offering what we wanted at a price we were willing to pay. Also, the new MDXs just didn't have the same luxurious feel that the older models had; the BMW just seems more solid... and fun! I was ready for a change to the sportier ride. We're skipping the third row this time (both MDX and X5 have made them too small to help us out too much these days). Having said all that the MDX priced out about 12000 less and it is still a great car. Perhaps if I hadn't already owned those for the last 10 years.... Good luck.
    CORRECTION: I forgot that we also ordered the 3 pkg's: Cold-Weather+Tech+Convenience ...I guess I thought there were part of the "Premium". I was also considering the "Keyless entry" but my wife didn't care for it - too magical for her ...plus its another Grand.
    bimmervoy - Is the signature loan available through BMW or you had to go through a CU/Bank? Looks like a great alternative to leasing.

Thanks!
  • jhabrejhabre Member Posts: 17
    I got the following offer for an ordering 2011 X5 35d. Is this a good deal or can I do better? I am in the Philadelphia, PA area.

Packages& Options:
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZTP Technology Package
    ZAP Sport Activity Package
    2LE Sport Activity Package 20" Wheel/Tire Upgrade
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    ZRC Rear Climate Package
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter
    456 Multi-contour seats
    655 Sirius Satellite Radio w/1 Year Subscription
    328 Running Boards
    300 Space-Saver Spare Tire

MSRP $65,525

My offer: $61,725 plus taxes, tags as well as floor mats and wheel locks. Deducting the Eco-credit of $4500 brings the price down to $57,225.

Thanks!
  • 1818181818181818 Member Posts: 5
    I finalized a negotiated price of $52,800 without the $4500.00 Credit Option and got the message that is below. Was that right? Do I still have the right to dispute this though it via e-mail? No papers were signed only the price was negotiated via e-mail. I had this experience with two dealer in New Jersey.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Good Morning!

It's me! Below is the quote that I sent you on the diesel:

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    Prem. Pkg. (req. for Technology Pkg.)
    Technology Pkg.
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    Heated Front Seats
    Side-view Camera
    ePRICE - $52800.00* tax and mtr. veh. doc. fees (Doc. Fee - $269.00)

*Above quote reflects "Diesel Option Credit" in the amount of $4500.00 good through 6/30/10.

Talk soon!

Drive safely,
  • sjthomassjthomas Member Posts: 61
    I am shopping around for X5 as well. Not sure if I want to order diesel or gasoline.

Even though diesel is expensive, hopefully the extra miles it gives will compensate it but my main concern is the engine sound. How quiet is the diesel when compared to gasoline? I am sure it will be noisier but how bad is it? I have a smaller 2003 3 series and I love it. I am assuming I can expect the same amount of fun in a bigger and newer 2011 X5. Any comments?

I seriously considered MDX with a "value" proposition but I think after driving my 325 for about 5 years, I don't want to try another make.

Thanks in advance.
    I love my X5d.

From the inside there is essentially no noise difference, particularly since you get 425ft.lbs of torque and do not need to rev the engine so there is less noise if briskly accelerating.

From the outside there is more noise from the diesel. A gentle clatter but never objectionable. I do not drive from outside the vehicle in any case! :)
    Hey 00boxsters,
    Thanks for the reply. Any comments on the mpg of diesel?
  • superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    Did my deal last week. Forgot to ask if I got the new money factor. I hope this was a good deal and I didn't get ripped. I know it wasn't the lowest... suggestions?

Blue/Oyster leather
    Premium Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Technology Package
    Comfort Access keyless entry
    Heated front seats
    Roof rails
    Running boards
    Smartphone Integration
    iPod and USB adapter

61725 msrp
    buy price 53,711 826/month w/taxes rolled in. 1st month and dmv fees out the door.

Was this a good deal?

On a side note...Is anyone having problems with the trunk latch? I read in another board that the x5s were having trunk closing problems... but nothing on here.
    Superdog - did your buy sale price include $4500 incentive by BMW for the x5D?
  • superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    yes, thats including all discounts ( 4500 + dealer discount)
  • dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    Sorry, it has been a while since my last visit to this forum. PM me (dinh_henry@yahoo.com) if you still need the name of the CA I dealt with at Autobahn. I just picked up mine on Jul. 5th and absolutely love the performance of the X5D.
  • brentslubrentslu Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 11 X5 Sport, White w/ Oyster Interior.

Convenience
    Tech
    Space Saver
    Comfort
    Running Boards
    Heated Front Seats
    Satellite
    Destination

MSRP 62,825
    Purchased in Houston,Texas for 3500 off MSRP (59,325 plus TT&L and doc fee)
    Paid half cash and used 1.9% BMWF for the balance.
    Not a great deal but I think it was fair for the limited inventory on the dealers lots.
  • advisor2advisor2 Member Posts: 6
    i am planning to Buy BMW X5 2011 in CT. Anyone got a good deal on this SUV. I am interested in following options.
    Cold Weather Package
    Technology Package
    Convenience Package
    3rd row seat
  • pt838pt838 Member Posts: 16
    My 2 friends just picked up two '11 X5's last week. They got great deals at PACE BMW in Mamaroneck, NY, which is down the road from CT
    We ordered EXACT same PKG + running-boards (sure you got those too) on 6/23 and the deal we got was $57.5K ...w/o really shopping around - there are no super incentives (yet) on the 2011 X5 as fas as I can see. The only other option I'm loosing sleep over is the ACTIVE STEERING ...is it really worth the extra 1.5K ...I don't want to regret it later - I plan on keeping this thing for 10 years ...I hope.
    What was the MSRP after all options and other charges before any break they offered you in the price. If you can provide me dealership location that will be great.

Thanks
    How much did they pay for the SUV? Thanks
  • asharmanasharman Member Posts: 5
    I just placed my order for 2011 X5 35d for $1000 above invoice but before the $4,500 discount. Expected delivery in 6 weeks. Options include premium package, technology package, cold weather rear climate, and running boards. I called around in NY and NJ and got this deal at Open Road BMW Edison, NJ. The salesman had agreed to give this price over the phone ($1000 above invoice). He largely stuck to the deal but tried to add an extra $500 for training/MACO, which he claimed are not included in Edmunds' Invoice price. Anyway, we settled for half way ($250). So in the end I paid $1,250 above invoice. Still a great deal. This site was very useful for my research and I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences for our benefit.
    Congrats and enjoy. It will be here before you know it so appreciate the anticipation if you can.

You got a good deal. The training/MACO fee's are paid by every BMW customer as they are not simply 'dealer fees' put entirely into the dealers profit.
    HOPE THIS HELPS!

MSRP $59,525.21

TECH
    CONV
    COMFORT ACCESS
    RUNNING BOARDS
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    SIDE-VIEW CAMERA

(I'M GONNA TRY TO DO EVEN BETTER!)

$55,959.00

BMW OF TENAFLY
    TENAFLY, NJ
    HOPE THIS HELPS!

MSRP $59,525.21

TECH
    CONV
    COMFORT ACCESS
    RUNNING BOARDS
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    SIDE-VIEW CAMERA

(I'M GONNA TRY TO DO EVEN BETTER!)

$55,959.00

BMW OF TENAFLY
    TENAFLY, NJ
  • chronoswisschronoswiss Member Posts: 3
    Are the standard floor mats included in all BMW X5's MSRP...... or is there an additional charge?
  • bd3500bd3500 Member Posts: 1
    What is a fair price for a CPO 2007 X5?

Color: Space Grey
    Interior: Black Nappa Leather
    Miles: 33,060
    Options:
    Navigation
    Premium Package
    Rear Entertainment / DVD Player
    Running Boards
    iPod / USB
    Technology Package
    3rd Row Seating
    Rear Climate Control
    Automatic Transmission
    Sirius Satellite Radio

CPO Coverage lasts until 04/18/2013 where as maintenance lasts until 04/18/2011.

Thanks!
    Not standard, additional charge. Skip the standard carpet BMW mats and get the BMW (not WeatherTech in this specific case) all weather rubber mats (not deep dish--blanking on name).
  • dcbmwownerdcbmwowner Member Posts: 8
    My dealer has never charged me for floor mats (and I've purchased or leased a LOT of BMWs). If your dealer charges you for floor mats in a new vehicle, you should find another dealer.
  • nyinjanyinja Member Posts: 10
    I am in the final stages of ordering a 2011 BMW X5 35i Premium, and have a couple outstanding questions.
    1. Has anyone purchased/used the head-up display? Will it display speed in KPH? How badly is it effected by viewing through polarized sunglasses?
    2. Are the adaptive steering and adaptive drive worth the added cost?
    3. Any comments suggestions on Space Gray / Ventilated Beige interior combo?
    4. Is the 3rd row seat useful? (not needed in my case, but thought it would be handy).
    As I am currently overseas, and have very limited access to inventories, I have to make most my decisions from on-line info, so any insight/opinion is appreciated. :shades:
  • brentslubrentslu Member Posts: 5
    You can barely see the HUD through polarized sun glasses. I had it on my 07 and decided against it on the 2011. I never used my third row but I only have one kid. Check out the Oyster Interior. It is really really nice.
  • zheckszhecks Member Posts: 50
    4) 3rd row seat is only useful if you have 2 kids and need to carry 7 passengers. The 3rd row is very small and fits young kids only. Not practical to have an adult there for more than an hour.

5) There are a lot of inventory at the dealership. Sell price at $1K over invoice is not uncommon (almost $4K off msrp).
    The 2011 X5 was reviewed here:

"We did notice that the heads-up display vanishes when wearing polarized shades. So if you like to see your HUD properly, with apologies to that little ole band from Texas, ZZ Top, wear some cheap sunglasses."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-x5-first-drive-review.html

Hope that helps.
    edited July 2010
    EVERYBODY! DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS OPPORTUNITY: Right now (July 19 till ?) you can get 1.9% even on the 60 months SIGNATURE LOAN ...and that is offered though BMW Financial serv. In case for some that're not aware: S.Loan means you only need to finance ~1/2 the cost of the vehicle with about 20% downplay - it totally beats the lease options these days if you have a little cash upfront ...especially if you want to keep it for more than a brake-in period:)

When we placed an order for our X5 it was 2.9% but right before delivery it went down to 1.9% :) (how unusual?)...so with the money saved we've decided to get the 5 year TIRE-RIM full coverage against any damage ..each tire goes for $300+ with no option for repair - it's worth it ...just read the reviews of all the "cry-babies" with run-flats. Another surprise was how fast it was delivered! we placed order on 6/23 and took delivery on 7/24 with 2 miles on the odometer. The new ENGINE-TRANS 300hp/8speed is truly amazing ...it feels like a 5000lb rally-car!
    edited July 2010
    I was planning to get an X5 in the month of december but my current SUV started to have minor issues. I need to change the tires as it is too noisy now. All this will probably be done with in $800. All I want to know is if I buy in December, will the prices paid be cheaper than July? By how much approx?

Also, if I really want to go for it in any given month, end of the month is probably the best time (may be I am wrong here?) but I may have to special order it for what I want like, say, third row seat. Will I still get a good deal if I sign the papers end of the month but take delivery may be a month later?

Suggestions?
    Appreciate your help.
    Steve.
  • ukwildcatukwildcat Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for the late reply, but I've just been through this myself.

I've owned two different Lexus vehicles in the last oh.. 8 years.
    First an RX. Very girly - yuck! That's what I get for trying to be practical.
    Then I got a much manlier GX470, which I loved, but good lord - it's sooooo boring.

I was eagerly awaiting the redesign - the GX460 - and when it came, well.. I guess I liked it, but I kept going back to look at it thinking "Well, it's nice, but it's really just.. a pretty coat of paint on the same old thing." All those years, I just assumed I'd buy another Lexus, but it just didn't strike me as "yes! I must spend $60K+ on this now!" Nope. Far from it. It had all kinds of little things I didn't like. Don't even get me started about the tailgate.

And at 35, I can't believe I have such a BORING car. I always prided myself that it was a "practical" (insomuch as a luxury car can ever really be "practical") car, never broke, no problems, etc. So I decided to shop around this time.

I looked at the MDX. Yeah, it was nice, and lots of people at work have them and love them. The price was actually very attractive - it was by far the CHEAPEST one I looked at - but price wasn't really my objective.

For grins, I even looked at Toyotas. The 4Runner (that the GX is loosely based on) inspection went like "Hmm" .

I looked at FORDS! FORDS!!! The 2010 Explorer (yes, I've seen the media stuff on the 2011 model) was unchanged from my college days, save some newer features, and it still rides like a log wagon. The Expedition was actually an improvement, but I don't really need a big minivan, thanks.

Looked at the new Porsche Cayenne. Not really my taste, and then when he told me the tires are like rubber bands and a brake job costs $2400 I told him "thanks for your time" and walked right over to the Audi dealer.

I was actually looking forward to the Q7. It was not quite as comfortable as I expected, and I noticed immediately that forward, side and rear visibility was poor. It has some interesting gadgets - and I really always rather liked the Audi cabin design, so we took it for a drive. I hit the gas and it does.. almost nothing. It handled like a drunken monkey and even its gadgets seemed pretty rough on the edges.

Last one on the list was the X5. I loved it. Immediately. Yes, this one. Please. Good GOD don't make me go back to the other ones!!

Had to order it. I'll pick it up at the factory. I've read the manual. Twice.

I hate waiting.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the info/help all.

I decided to go w/ the HUD as I am bringing the X5 to Japan where the speed limits (though mostly ignored) are very low - and in KPH. My hope is that the HUD will display KPH because it's hard to read the inner KPH readings on the speedometer. This machine is so smooth I know it'll get away from me if I'm not watching the speed closely (which means goodbye to my Maui Jim's I guess!!) :shades:

Still hoping for confirmation if the HUD will show KPH or not. Anyone try yet??

I agree the Oyster is by far the best looking, especially w/ the Space Gray that I went with. But after the heat this month I decided to go w/ the beige ventilated seat package; which unfortunately only comes in beige or black.

Took the advice on the 3rd row and nixed that, but pretty much got every other option....final price about ~$60K (about $7K under MSRP) :shades: Now I just have to wait a couple months for delivery! :mad:
  • lokyloky Member Posts: 1
    We ordered 2011 X5 35d for 55K after eco credit. It comes with Premium, Tech, 3rd row, cold weather and rear climate packages. We also added running boards and Roof Rails. We are told to wait for 6-8 weeks to deliver the vehicle. Is this a decent price/waiting time?
    Were you able to order the Tech w/o the Conv package? I just ordered the Sport Activity 35i, and when I added the Tech package, I HAD to include the Conv package; for a total of about $5K MSRP...... Can't comment on the price you paid, but wait time is about what I was told...
    Hi nyinja,
    I assume you will finance/pay after you receive your car but how much one has to pay to "order" it?

Thanks for your help.
    Hey, The $ looks good, the time a little long but better than most car-makers these days. I was surprised we got ours in only 4 weeks, but they may be more backlogged now. BTW what is this Eco Credit? and how much does it save in %? Thanks.
    bimmervoy - Is the Signature loan line the OwnersChoice Financing from BMW? I was talking to the dealer about the OC and he said that 1.9% is not available and is much higher. In TX, OC makes sense compared to leasing. Let me know.
    My situation is kind of unique because I am ordering it from the US, but sending it to Japan - so I had to pay 15% down to order. Don't know what the "normal" down/hold price would be to order it....
    I LOVE YOUR POST:) ...It's amazing on how those Japanese "soccer-mum" x-wagons got to be so friken' BORING!!! ...Just looking at the new Lexus RX makes me sick to my stomach! I wouldn't drive it unless someone paid me to do so! However I remember they actually had an upper hand in this segment in the late 90's & early 00's ...WTF is going on?!?!...The ONLY one that is got a little "pepper" to it is the INFINITY FX ...but they're just pushing their STYLING vs PRACTICALITY way over-the-top. Anyway, I had cars from Ford, VW-Audi, Honda-Acura ...and after driving (2) X3s for 6 years & a 330i for 2 years ...I will ALWAYS drive only BMW for as long as I possible can!...absolutely no comparison to anything else when it comes to DRIVING-DYNAMICS period!!!
    Does anyone have a 2011 X5 with HUD that can confirm whether it will display your speed in KPH if you set it up in iDrive? I've been told it will, but haven't been able to confirm....
  • kp22kp22 Member Posts: 20
    I am in the midst of negotiations to buy a 2011 X5 and was told by the dealership that the invoice prices listed on edmunds and other sites are wrong. The dealer said that the invoice price for a 2011 X5 is 93% of MSRP at all times. I have never heard that. It appears that when I build an X5 on edmunds that the invoice prices on various options vary between 90 -92%. Can anyone assist me in showing my dealer that I know he is wrong? Or is he right and edmunds wrong?
    edited July 2010
    Can someone PLEASE tell me who's idea it was not to include the VERY STANDARD component called: CARGO COVER - Really?!?!
    After just dishing out $60,000!!! an a top notch luxury SAV ...I get home thinking oops, some "[non-permissible content removed]" forgot to install that rear cover (no big deal) ..But ha! to my dismay it's no longer INCLUDED! ..and it sells for ~$300+
    Am I just getting "my leg pulled" by Paul-Miller of NJ or is this really TRUE. I was told that it's thanks to some idiots that forget to put those things back when they go to return their lease - fine!...but I'm actually (for the 1st time) BUYING this X5!

So please BMW stop "NICKEL & DIME'ing" us US customers!!!
    1st. We don't get the silly TOOL-KIT & 1st AID KIT like the rest of the WORLD.
    2nd. No std Floor Mats (some production problem) got "all weather" once instead ..Thx God.
    3rd. And now NO CARGO COVER? ....It's Ridiculous!

Sorry for my venting, but it's just that annoying to me!...
    Hey bimmervoy,
    That was the first question I asked the person at Open Road BMW in Edison,NJ after opening the trunk when I went to test drive the 2011 X5. He said the same thing that your dealer said. Even he was blaming BMW for that. It was supposedly a standard accessory in the previous gen X5 but not with the 2011. I agree its totally ridiculous.

BTW, Can you tell me how much did you pay when you "finalized the deal" for your X5? What % do they normally charge for booking.

I am sure there is a 6-8 week delay but I am just curious.