Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Thanks, that explains it.

I'm trying to decide between base x35i and premium. Is it worth to get base then add pkcg or get premium?

Thanks
  • rome99rome99 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Northern Virginia (Alexandria). I would like to buy 35i model. When I visited a dealer, they say I have to wait for 10 weeks and pay MSRP price. I thought I could get as invoice price. Why is this? How can I get a good deal? btw, which is better 35i or 35d? Thanks gentlemen.
  • trippctrippc Member Posts: 27
    hey abhiku,

to be honest, i do not have down to the exacts of what is included in the based and premium but it all broils down to can you live without what's included in the premium and if so, go with the base b/c it would save you a bundle. i'm still negotiating with my dealer for a premium. good luck.
    rome99 - my best guess is that that dealer only have limited slots (each dealer is afforded with "x" # of vehicles) and once they're filled, you're SOL. That brings me to the conclusion that your dealership might be out of them or close to it thus can demand msrp. I would shop around as most dealers are willing to go with invoice but you just have to be lucky and find the right one. Good luck hunting.
    Thanks Trippc,

Yup I saw your few post regarding x35i premium. How much you are offering to dealers for premium? Are you adding some options or just going for premium base?

Thanks again!
    Hi abhiku,

Since most of the dealerships are out of inventory, a new truck has to be built in SC so customizing is awesome now but you won't see much wiggle room in terms of negotiations. I added the Convenience, Cold Weather Pkg and running board. I went to several dealers and most weren't willing to budge except this one which I'm still hoping to squeeze a few more dollars off (hope they don't screw me as the Nav incentive ends in a couple of days) but chances are I'll most likely jump on the verbal offer. In addition to the Nav credit, I got the loyalty and Olympic drive so iin effect, that's $3730 off the invoice. Most dealers aren't willing to deduct that from the invoice for the obvious reasons but it is understandable that they too have to make a living as long as it's not outrageously greedy. Verbally, we have agreed on $52500 plus tax, dmv related fees. No MAACO. Still keeping my fingers cross and hopefully I can sing on the dotted line soon. Hope this helps.
  • beaming1beaming1 Member Posts: 17
    We were able to deal quite a bit on our custom build...and were told that even with a build you can deal the same as you would on something off the lot. Don't let them tell you any different, if they do, go elsewhere. We are in Jacksonville, Florida and went to Rick Hendircks Imports in Charleston, SC and they were incredible. Ask fo Dave G.

We built an X5 Premium with the 3rd row, running boards, BMW APPS, black sapphire and oyster interior...picked it up on October 10th at the performance center and could not have had a better experience...it was incredible and the car is AWESOME!!! :D
    Thx beaming1... if you don't mind sharing, how much did you end up paying? And did you apply any of the incentives?
    Thanks Trippc, Do you know if BMW will continue Nav credit for another month or so? I'm also looking at GL450 so not sure if I can make decision by end of month.
    No prob abhiku.. as far as I know, the nav credit is slated to end on Oct 31st and no one knows for sure if they'll extend it and/or not. But my gut tells me that they're not at least for next month to assess what the sales figure looks like before making some new form of incentives. One thing for sure though is that since virtually no dealers has any 2011 in inventory, there's no real incentives to push new programs when there's a line at the assembly line including myself. So it's really a coin toss at this point in time. As for the GL450, that was also on my list before the X5 as (2 months ago) USAA were offering some pretty hefty incentives for the 2011 GL450. They were $6000 off in partnership with MERC and USAA and an additional $3000 from USAA (though you have to get insurance through them - which isn't a big deal as it's quite comparable) and lastly the conquest through MERC which was for $4000 off which is similar to BMW's loyalty program only you have to own a luxury vehicle other than a MERCC. As soon as I heard of the program, I call numerous dealerships only to learn that there were virtually no 2011's left except for this dealership that had a juiced up '11 GL550 which cost almost $90g's. Too rich for my blood even with the incentives.

In all honestly, if you can wait, wait it out a bit but I would say it'll have to be for the 2013 X5's since it will be redesigned - so I heard. Good luck and let us know what you ended up doing.
  • ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    Hi Trippc

How do you get USAA membership, can anyone apply? If I get 13K bellow MSRP, I think the 2011 GL450 is good idea, they have them here in Ca

When is the new X5 coming out in 2014 or 2013?
    Thanks Trippc,

As per insideline, it will be probably 2014.
    http://www.insideline.com/bmw/future-vehicles.html
    hi ab10000,

If you're affiliated with the military or any enforcement agency, you can apply for membership. I bought my first MERC through that program and it was a breeze and quite frankly saved me a bit. Regarding to the incentives aforementioned, that was two months ago however. The $6000 is still in effect (just chk'ed) and set to expire at the end of the month. I think the conquest is about the same but you can check with the dealership. The other $3000 was for the month of September as a way to encourage buyers to buy. So potentially you can still nail the $10000 through USAA if you qualify. I live on the East Coast so there were nothing here else I would've been driving the GL by now. Good luck hunting.
  • mathewsbmwmathewsbmw Member Posts: 1
    Base + Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package, running board, Siruis Radio for $55,000. (MSRP was $60,625). Had to negotiate hard for this, so wanted to pass it along and also see if this was good (worth my time) or was the dealer just putting up a fight?

I got talked into buying the maintenance upgrade for $2000 (2yr/50,000 mile), and a tire/wheel warranty (5Yrs) for $1,100. Anybody have experience with these - good or bad?
    hi mathewsbmw,
    i basically priced the '12 X5 the same minus the Siruis for $53000. This is after the incentives... nav, loyaty and olympic.. As for the maintenance pkg, not too familiar but heard it is decent if you decide to keep the car for longer than 4 yrs. You never know... the 2014 X5 comes out, you'll want to trade up.. The tire pkg is a little different. Had a word with the SA or CA, he highly recommend that protection as run flats can be expensive to replace. It all depends on the roads you drive on and how often so do take that into consideration. Hope this helps and good luck.
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mathewsbmw,

As a general rule, I would not pay for anything upfront. The 2k is too much for just oil, breaks and checks this and that. All these new cars do not need much maintenance under 100k miles. If I want to spend I would rather pay for extended warranty if you are planning to keep the car. These cars have many issues after 4 years. I own German cars and they are headache after warranty.

The tire stuff is BS, this is the dumest idea, 1000 for what??? Are you going to drive in the mountains?? Anyway these tires last between 20-30k miles max, so why not save the 1k for a new set and get your tires from Costco which has 40k tire warranty on Michelens tires. I get 40k warranty on my Mercedes AMG tires which wear after 18k and then I get credit for new set. I can't believe people can sell this stuff, paying 1k for tires upfront, only to spend another 1k on another set 20k later, how is that logical? Great salesman.

It seems the dealer gave you a discount on the car and will make it up by these empty offers. Save your money and use it for your next tire set in 20-30k miles.
  • 2012x52012x5 Member Posts: 11
    I placed an order on Sep 28, and at the time, the dealer told me I could get the car in Nov. Today, 1 month passed, I called again, and they told me I have to wait another 2 or 3 months...and there are 3 orders before me...the issue is I learned from another dealer if I could not get the car delivered by Jan 2, I could not get the nvg credit
    what should I do now?
  • negotiator7negotiator7 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this... looks like you got an incredible deal, I am in CA, can you tell me where you are at? I am just starting to look, do I just say give me $7-9K off MSRP? I am looking at the 35i Premium, but looking at your discount maybe I'll get the better car. Would you mind sharing the dealership/salesperson info? Many thanks.
    edited October 2011
    Hi gregbmwjones,

So here is the facts that everyone can get online except for point 6,
    for X5 3.5 premium, there is,

1- $1730 credit for navigation
    2- $1000 loyalty or if you take the team America test drive
    3- Dealer is including $500 on top of invoice regional Marketing add fee, (which I think is BS, because you expect us to pay for your Water and Cable bills also, what kind of business is this??? Why BMW dealers don't be start forward with your customers)
    4- $1270 hold back to dealer
    5- Invoice 52160 including destination and marketing fee $500
    6- There is X dollar rebate incentive to dealers based on the number of BMW cars they sell every month

So 1730+1000+500+1270+3915(difference between invoice and MSRP)=$8415 is the total markup on the basic 3.5 premium, that is 15% profit not including the Volume rebate.

So if you want to do business and work with online community we are happy to give you our business.

Also if you lease you have to pay about 700-900 acquisition fee, doc fees, etc. The interest dealer and BMW make on the 3 year lease for MF .00195 is about $5000-$6000 depending on the negotiated price. If the MF is .00235 the amount is more.
  • jk2004jk2004 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Have decent offer on a 2012 x5 premium with conveience and cold weather packages. I am considering just ordering base x5 35i and adding appropriate convenience package, heated seats, navigation, etc. This will reduce cost by quite a bit. It appears to me, however, that the base model does not come with privacy glass (tinted rear windows) and no option for it. Is this correct? Is the only way to get privacy glass on the x5 35i to order tohe premium package? Kind of a deal breaker for me so just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question.
    Thanks very much!
  • mike809mike809 Member Posts: 2
    the dealer only post msrp price, what price is good? The dealer offer me $1000 under msrp base msrp $55200 convenience package $3500 3rd row seat $1700, destination &handling $875 total MSRP as built $61275 ... They off $60275 is this a good price or not, can some one help me, tell me what price you paid for it . i want to buy soon,
  • beaming1beaming1 Member Posts: 17
    No good. That is almost the same config we just built (2012 X5 premium) and picked up at the Performance Center and we paid 56 and change...I would look elsewhere.
    hi mike809,
    you forgot to mention that you're in the market for a premium. At any rate, without any incentives, a good and fair price would be ~$57k. Now bear in mind that the current nav credit $1730 (you can read the past threads) expires tonight as well as the loyalty credit ($1k). @ over $60 for your build, the dealer is definitely taking you for a ride and if he/she included the nav credit, you might as well run away from that dealership as they're just not honest. Good luck.
  • gregbmwjonesgregbmwjones Member Posts: 9
    There are several factors for a "good deal." Keep in mind, this brand has little markup...half the percentage that it used to be. It's about the only business where the buyer gets to know what the dealer paid (if you insist). Try that at the grocery store, or clothing store. Clothing has a 300-400% markup, more with designer brands. Nobody asks the clerk how much they paid wholesale. If you are getting a fair price on financing, you can compare that, and if you receive about what you want for a trade in and get a payment you can afford, while getting a discount off the regular price, which by any industry is a fair markup (about the same that Costco makes in their warehouses), then you got a "good deal." All businesses must profit in order to stay in business and pay employees, so you are not getting ripped off if you don't get the vehicle at employee prices. If you have good credit, you give yourself better buying power.
    hi gregbmwjones,
    i whole heartily agree with you that all businesses must profit in some way shape or form when it comes to staying in business and paying for all the overheads. It is really how much of a profit is considered fair to a company/firm.

Courtesy of TrueCars.com
    Did you know that the factory invoice price and what the dealer actually paid are not the same? Yep, it's true. The invoice price for the 2012 BMW X5 is on average 2.496% greater than the actual dealer cost, so caveat emptor. The dealer's actual price includes at least $1,093 in dealer holdback, or funds that are provided to the dealer by BMW after the sale of the vehicle. The actual car dealer cost for a 2012 BMW X5 9.266% below the original manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).

Can't speak for everyone (though everyone on this forum seems to be want the best deal) but I'm out there for the best deal and if I can secure one with little negotiating, I'm in.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    gregbmwjones:

There's a forum here on Town Hall "Stories From The Sales Frontlines" that used to be populated with sales people from various marquees. I'd really like you to come over and post some of your tales of selling BMWs (one of my favroite brands).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jsy916jsy916 Member Posts: 6
    I posted about 3-4 weeks regarding my 2012 X5d purchase (if you check my previous post, you can see what options I chose, the price I paid, etc.). We just picked it up from the dealership 2 days ago, and it's an amazing car!!!

I agree with most people here concerning extra protection for the car. DO NOT purchase any protection plans for the wheels/tires, protection plans for the exterior/interior (aka perma plate), or extended maintenance plans, etc. It's just another way for the dealers to make money.

For those of you wondering about time of delivery, I placed my X5d order on Oct 12, and it was delivered to the dealership on Oct 28 (from Spartanburg, SC to Arizona). I was told it would take around 4-6 weeks. I was surprised by how soon it was finished.

The X5 is simply a beautiful car!!! You will not be disappointed!!!
  • mike809mike809 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    hi trippc I am in Hawaii , they did not mention any of nav credit $1730 and any incentives ,is royalty credit $1000 , you have to own a bmw before, that's what he toll me ,$60275(plus tax, fee,ect....) thanks for you information. i think i wait get more information first.if some one have more infor please reply.
    hi mike809,

sunny skies and sand filled beaches...i'll trade the x5 for that. the incentives that i'm aware of up until oct 31 (some might still do it depending on the situation) are the nav credit which essentially isa free navigation but that has to be optioned in order for them to apply it. you are correct about the loyalty credit which pertains to 05 and newer bmw owners which qualifies you to a 1k credit for being loyal (similar to the newly conquest pgm thru Mercedes). the olympic drive event was mainly for state side - i think but that was just to test drive their (6 series) cars in support of our olympic team that resulted in 1k towards you new purchase which also expired yesterday. all in all, that was some pretty sweet incentives which i can't recall the last time that bmw had offered something similar. not sure how many bmw dealers in your area but i would ask around if there are more than one and do give bmwna a call to find out more about different incentives that your state is eligible for just in case you have doubts of any sales ppl. Also, if you go to bmwusa.com under financial services --> under loyalty offers, it does say $1730 option credit available under the 2012 financing offer and just to prove the point, i typed in zip 96727 and the same offer shows up so you may want to have a chat with your sales person unless you didn't select nav as an option on the build. Good luck on your X5 and tell us all about your purchase.
  • newx5guynewx5guy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I have never posted on any forum before but used this to negotiate my purchase so thought I would share my details. I am in Southern CA and just ordered a 2012 x5d with the following options:

Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Nappa Leather seats and dash
    Bamboo wood trim
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound Package
    Sport Package
    Multi-Contour Seats
    20" wheels
    Running Boards
    BMW Apps
    Space Saver Spare

Total MSRP: $69,725
    Price after ECO and NAV credits: $61,700

I think this is pretty good and, frankly, I didn't have to negotiate too hard. I used TrueCar.com, contacted the best quote, got a new quote (they say that those prices are only for cars "in stock" which is nonsense), and then negotiated a little off that price and was done in one phone call.
  • cpl2usacpl2usa Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2011
    My deal from a PA dealer.

My X5 xDrive35i
    3.0 liter 6-cylinder with TwinPower Turbo technology
    xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive
    Base MSRP $47,500
    Black Sapphire Metallic $0
    Leather Nevada Cinnamon Brown $1,450
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim $0
    Convenience Package $2,100
    3rd row seat $1,700
    Heated front seats $500
    Navigation system $1,900
    Destination & Handling: $875

Total MSRP as Built$56,025

With Navigation credit, Price is $49950 + tax + title

Is it good?
    assuming you do not have the loyalty and olympic drive credits, that's a pretty good price.
    edited November 2011
    I do not have loyalty or olympic drive credits. Also, BMW may come up with Holiday cash incentive in November. Dealer promised me that he will give extra credit if there is a extra cash incentive available. I have asked him to add his promise to the contract :)
  • tiodegraztiodegraz Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading about deals on this website and it really helped me get a price I am very happy with on my new X5 diesel that is on order now. I got the order placed yesterday in order to take advantage of the $1730 Nav credit

Space Grey outside/ Perforated Black leather in
    Active ventilated Seat Package
    Premium Package
    Head-up Display
    $55,600 + tax, titles, plates = 60,600 (NYC taxes)

I should probably have the car by the end of the month. Hopefully sooner! :shades: Btw, Amex car buying/zag was very helpful in getting the salesman serious about pricing I found.
    I think this is fair, but try to get 1K more
    BMW is giving $1000 credit plus the $1730 nav credit
    So add that to your deal
    edited November 2011
    All x5 deals need to start from invoice -1730 Nav credit-1000 holiday credit-500 marketing markup
    This leaves the dealer with $1230 hold back plus volume rebate
  • khambhat2004khambhat2004 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was wondering are these($1000 credit plus the $1730 nav credit) new incentives for November 2011?
    From BMW web site:
    0.9% Annual Percentage Rate Offer. $1,730 Option Credit available. $1,000 Credit Available.

I spoke to my dealer and he said, you have to take finance from BMW inorder to get $1000.
    edited November 2011
    I believe you can not maximize the incentives as the footnote clearly stipulates that the offer can not be combined. So my understanding is you should be eligible for the nav credit and $1000 cash incentive or the lower apr...

0.9% Annual Percentage Rate Offer. $1,730 Option Credit available. $1,000 Credit Available.

1Offers apply to current and former owners of a BMW Model Year 2005 and newer in the past 12 months, who purchase or lease a new BMW Model Year 2011 and newer. Consult your BMW client advisor for full program details. 1% APR reduction can be applied only against current posted rates on all new Model Year 2011 and 2012 BMW vehicles only. Special Lease offers may not be below .00005 on Lease/PrePay and below 0.01% on Retail/Select/OwnersChoice, once applicable program discounts have been applied. $1,000 loyalty cash may not be combined with other loyalty rate reductions. Offers subject to change. Subject to credit approval. Offers may not be combined. Offers expire January 2, 2012.
    edited November 2011
    I have placed the order yesterday without $1000 credit. When I call my dealer this morning, he is saying I will get $1000 credit only if I take finance from BMW. What should i do?
    hi cpl2usa,
    i might've missed your feed of what your order and how lucrative it was but if you don't mind share it with the forum members that way it could enrich everyone. With regards to your question, the dealer should've mentioned this to you unless you had other intentions of financing. In all honestly, I would try looking into financing it through BMW Financials....with the primary driver being the cash incentive which lowers your purchase price resulting in a little in sales tax savings. The flip side to this is if you can get a lower apr at another financial institution and through the life of the loan you can save $1g, then go with that solution else BMW is a better bet in my eyes. The catch to this is the dealer may run your credit and turn you down for bad credit score and propose a ridiculous apr in order to get that incentive. So all in all, a few factors to consider and evaluate. If you know for sure that you have good credit (if available, go in with your credit rpt to settle any doubts), go with BMW Financials. Good luck and tell us all about your experience.
    Trippc,

The footnote is under loyalty offers. I believe you will get one of the below with loyalty offer if you are going to use loyalty credit. Not all of them.
    - 1% APR Reduction
    - Special Lease Offers
    - $1,000 in savings

Under financing offers -all of the below still stand good.
  • cidsoucidsou Member Posts: 4
    I ordered an X5 on October 24th and only received the NAV credit for the deal. I did not qualify for the loyalty credit because I did not currently own my last BMW (must have owned within the last 12 months, even if it was a 2005 or later).

With these new incentives for November, would it seem likely I should get the additional $1000 credit if I finance with BMW. I think if the incentive is BMW to customer, I should. I know the NAV credit was factory to dealer (which some dealers refused to give up when I was shopping)

I got an ok deal. Sticker was $61, 250 and I paid $56, 600.

Many of the dealers in my area Balto/DC metro would not do better than the price I got. Most offered a much higher price during my search. When I give my lowest offer, I did not hear from them again. All cars in this area are order only. No X5s on any lots.

Should I push for this credit (assuming the car comes in this month) or am I not eligible since it was not in the original deal. I did not make any finance commitments when I ordered the car.
    Cidsou
    You can always cancel the order, all x5 are built to order, the factory is set for just in time inventory, dealers do not stock them, even in California. If you qualify for the credit you should get it period, tell the dealer you will give your business to another one if they deny you.
    How long before you can cancel the order? is there time e.g. within a week or something?
  • 35d_ude35d_ude Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2011
    I'm looking to trade my 2009 35d on a new 2012 35d. Looking for guidance on whether or not I'm leaving money on the table.

TRADE
    The trade is a 2009 X5 35d with 36K miles, in very good condition. No wrecks, non-smoker. Equipment includes the brushed alum running boards, premium pkg, cold pkg, nav, comfort access.

DEAL

Trade: 40,000
    Payoff for Trade: 41,989
    MSRP (2012): 63,925
    Incentives: 2500 ECO, 1730 Nav, 1000 Loyalty
    Cash down: 1000

BMW Select for 60mo. at 6.9% (ouch!)
    Monthly payment: 830

Thanks in advance. Viva la diesel!
  • gregbmwjonesgregbmwjones Member Posts: 9
    That looks like a straight up, honest deal. If you can do better with financing elsewhere, go for it. Getting credit from BMW is usually easier. Credit score determines your rate.
    I guess my sticking points on this are part emotional, and part hesitation regarding the trade value.

(1) I wanted to stay closer to a 750/mo. payment, and (2) I feel like they could give me the payoff value for the trade (41,985), and still make a good profit on the deal.

If you were in my position, and wanted to negotiate it down further - what would look to focus on? Trade value, purchase price, or both?
    Dealer is telling my BMW Select interest rate is higher in Ohio. They are telling me 6.9% for top tier. Can anybody confirm what the Select rate is in other states?