Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2011
    Hi 35_ude,
    It seems that you are not getting any break on the purchase price just the typical credits, I would shop around.
    The trade in value is fair.
    If your credit is poor than 6.9 is ok.
    Bank of America is giving 2.9 for 72 month.

Side question, why diesel?
    edited November 2011
    Hi abhiku
    Dealer here in California told me that if I place an order, I can cancel even if the car is here and I test drive.
    The car has to leave the lot for the contract to be valid.
    Check with your state and other BMW.
    Do your homework because the dealer will never tell anything that can get you out of deal they love.

There are many BMW salesman on this form, hope they can give you some honest advise
  • gregbmwjonesgregbmwjones Member Posts: 9
    That is true. You can cancel the order after the car arrives. You have to sign final paperwork and drive off the lot to take ownership. I ordered my first BMW custom from Germany back in 2002 and it was the same deal then.
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Thanks ab,

So there is no deposit or something with the dealer...right?
  • 35d_ude35d_ude Member Posts: 13
    RE: Why diesel?
    I think the diesel is the best value in the lineup, if you're looking for a responsive engine with some torque. The gas mileage is excellent, and it's fun to drive. It in no way feels under powered, which I feel like the gas V6 does a little bit. I can go nearly 600-miles on a tank too. Add in the ECO credit and it's a no brainer if you ask me.

RE: Purchase price
    So I'm upside down on my trade by about 1,900. The purchase price appears to be about $1200 above invoice before adding in my negative equity. These guys are acting as-if I'm insane for seeking $500 above invoice, like they never do it, don't need to do it, and take a hike for even thinking it. Do they know I'm a sucker, or are there dealers like this out there?
  • cidsoucidsou Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    I put down a $2000.00 deposit on the car I ordered, which the dealer called a "nonrefundable deposit". I have every intention of buying the car, but it is good to know that it might be refundable. Is this a BMW rule or a law that may vary state to state. Just want to narrow my search to find this info in case I need it.
    edited November 2011
    Hi 35d_ude,

Some salespeople like to put a show, I have seen this sometimes, but others are serious and want to deal. I recommend to deal with the Internet sales and not to waist time with salespeople that think everyone is dump enough to believe that the car has 6% margin, factory is backed up, and thay sell 5 BMW x5 a day. The these Guys are starving for business and cars are not selling like the old days that is why they do not stock the cars anymore. This is the information age, know the facts and be patient.
  • cberrytechcberrytech Member Posts: 20
    Just ordered my 2012 X5d. Platinum Gray with Oyster Leather and Dark Bamboo Trim. Includes Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg (had to have the black headliner!), Running Boards, & BMW Apps. Total sticker $63,825. Paid $55,643 (with all weather floor mats and trunk tray). Price is before TTL. ECO and Nav credits were taken below invoice price. Due to start production next week. Salesman said I *might* have it by the end of the month.

Negotiation was way easier than I expected. Sent salesman my specs, he gave me a build price. I asked for a selling price that included rebates, and he came back at $58,000. I told him I wanted to be at $55,000, he came back at $55,643. I agreed. $8445 savings seemed fair to me. All done over email in a day. I went in today and paid a $1000 deposit. I already had my pre-approval letter from my lender. If BMW can beat my rate, there is another $1000 savings to be had according to the sales manager. It was late this afternoon, so they are going to let me know on Monday.

We looked at the Touareg, MDX, and XC60. The sales staff at my local BMW dealership was the best of them all. I was very impressed.
    Congrats very nice, which state you are in?
    Just curious why you went with diesel?
  • rmkleinrmklein Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2011
    Starting me to think. We looked at a 2012 x5D diesel yesterday. Very similar but a tech package instead of the sport package( I think the sport is more expensive). Sticker is 63,300 before ttl. Dealer is looking for $61,700. Doesn't sound good compared to your deal? Any advice on how you got the price so low or where I can go to see the dealers invoice? Any help would be appreciated.

RK
  • gsinillgsinill Member Posts: 13
    Same here: talked to my BMW salesman yesterday. One thing he said I might consider is to finance $7,500 with BMW for 0.9% to get the $1,000 credit you mentioned. Didn't do the math yet but definitely something to think about. Not sure though how this would work with 2 lenders - which one would get the title etc.?
    Spec'ed out my X5d yesterday and came up with the following:
    Alpine white, Oyster, Dark Bamboo, Cold weather pkg, Sport Activity pkg, Multi-contour seats, Technology pkg, Premium pkg, Running boards, BMW apps, Space saver spare.

Total MSRP $67,325

They offered $2,500 eco + $1,730 nav credit + $1,000 loyalty (I only own a 2005 BMW motorcycle so they would have to look into that - my guess is no) + $1,000 finance (see my reply above).
    So best case I could get $6,230 without further negotiating, which makes it $61,095.

Checking on Edmunds, the True Market Value in my area (Chicago Northshore) is $65,746 and invoice is $61,545 (both might be a little higher since Edmunds is off by $400 on the base MSRP).

When they assessed the value for my trade in, they came out quite a bit lower than what I was asking (as expected); I think the sales guy realized that I was not too happy so when we walked out he said: "well, those were all the standard incentives that we considered, there might be more we can do".
    This said, I am wondering what my going in position should be.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like its fully loaded. I went out to BMW's site and the NAV credits expirted 10/31? Also, their was a federal tax credit for Diesel vehicles incl the X5 that expired 10/31/10. I don't see any advanced lean burn (or diesel) credits available from the GOV. Is this a BMW incentive?

Bottom line is its damn hard to trust anyone for good info!!
    He didn't mention the tax break so I assume it might be expired. But he did tell me that the whole staff had a 1.5h meeting in the morning to get briefed on the new incentives they can offer, so I assume nav and Eco are in.
    At the end I don't really care what he can pull out of the hat as long as I get a good price ;).
    We are in Southwest Missouri. We are giving up our Jetta SportWagen TDI, and have been very pleased with the diesel engine. We drive quite a bit, around 50,000 miles per year. Diesels gets better mileage, hold their value better, and are generally more reliable. Granted, a diesel engine is an upcharge, however, our dealer told us upfront about the $2500 ECO Credit, and that they were matching the $2500 as an additional discount. Something they weren't willing to do on the gas model. At that point, the diesel isn't that much more expensive.
    RK-

We used True Car to determine the invoice price built to our specs. Then the dealer took the $2500 Eco and $1730 Nav off the invoice price. I was shocked at how easy it was.
    According to True Car, invoice on your specs should be around $62,500. Then take off the Eco and Nav credits, putting you at $58,270. So ask for $58,000 and see what you get. If you can't get it in Chicago, my dealer is only 6 hours away in Springfield MO. We almost went to Chicago to get one off a lot, but my dealer decided he really did want me to stay local.
    Hmm, might have to to consider a trip to Missouri...
    My quotes so far are way off from what you got in Springfield.
    Reliable BMW?
  • alexk2alexk2 Member Posts: 6
    Priced it out through truecar and Wagner BMW matched it.
    Yes it was Reliable BMW. You can PM me if you want my salesman's name and email address. We went in to drive one and left. I emailed him the next day about making a deal. Everything from that point was done through email until it was time for a deposit.
    edited November 2011
    I just placed an order for my X5D today at my local BMW dealer.
    After the whole negotiation process started out a little slow, things got really dynamic over the last 2 days.

Here's the build:

Base MSRP $56,700
    Alpine White $0
    Oyster Nevada Leather $0
    Dark Bamboo wood trim $0
    Cold Weather Package $750
    Premium Sound Package $1,500
    Sport Activity Package $2,200
    Multi-contour seats $900
    Technology Package $1,700
    Premium Package $3,500
    Running boards $300
    Soft-close automatic doors $600
    BMW Apps $250
    Space-saver spare $150
    Destination & Handling: $875
    Total MSRP as Built $69,425

After some back and forth over the phone, they offered $61,000, including Eco and Nav credit, if I pay cash or use external financing; I'll get another $1,000 off, if I finance through BMW. They are also still looking to get me the loyalty credit (another $1K) for my 2005 BMW motorcycle but I would be surprised if that worked out, especially since I already gave them my deposit so they can place the order.
    Since I need a trailer hitch, which is only offered as a dealer option, they threw in free installation as well, so I basically pay only for the parts - another 300 - 400 bucks I'll save. Estimated delivery is in 3 weeks.

All in all I am very happy and must give most of the sales folks I dealt with kudos: they all tried hard and made the process fairly easy. Gotta love the transparency on pricing nowadays through the web ;)

Thanks a lot to all the folks here on the forum for their tips and help; it's very much appreciated!
    Hi gsinill
    Try to finance about 10k with BMW rate 0.9% so you can get the 1000 credit?
    Hi gsinill
    Why did you get the diesel?
    Because I am HUGE Diesel fan.
    I am originally from Europe and used to Diesels; here in the US they still suffer from the bad reputation in the 70s and 80s. Can't compare a modern Diesel engine with the ones back then.
    Just test drive one and you know what I am talking about ;)
    Agreed. The Diesel is amazing. For some reason they seem to be positioning it as the "conservative" choice in the lineup. I guess diesel engines aren't sexy enough, but you be the judge. Go drive the Gas V6, then hop in the Diesel and get back to me. :)
    So I'm not real pleased with the pricing my dealer is giving me, and I'm not excited about their inventory on the diesel either. It seems diesel inventory everywhere near me is slim to none too.

I was wondering, all other things being equal what's the likelihood of negotiating a better deal on a vehicle I have built to order? Does the dealer have "less to lose" by cutting a more aggressive deal on a vehicle they order for me? Is there any negotiating leverage I can benefit from here?
  • cpl2usacpl2usa Member Posts: 18
    What I heard from the Dealer is Diesel X5 parts and repair is more expensive than gar version. Even extended warranty price for Diesel is expensive than gas version.
    As far as I know they do not stock X5 Diesels (not sure where but I read this somewhere during my research). There are a few in the Chicago market but I assume those were custom built and the buyers bailed out.
    What are they offering you?
    My deal from a PA dealer.

My X5 xDrive35i
    3.0 liter 6-cylinder with TwinPower Turbo technology
    xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive
    Base MSRP $47,500
    Black Sapphire Metallic $0
    Leather Nevada Cinnamon Brown $1,450
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim $0
    Convenience Package $2,100
    3rd row seat $1,700
    Heated front seats $500
    Navigation system $1,900
    Destination & Handling: $875

Total MSRP as Built$56,025

With Navigation credit and $1000 BMW Finance credit,
    Final Price is $48950 +$125 doc fee + tax + title.

I got $1000 credit for taking BMW finance. BMW offered me 1.99%/24mo or 4.99/60mo. which is higher than what I am getting from my credit union (1.99%/72mo.). I am going to take the loan from BMW finance and refinance with my Credit Union immediately. There is no prepayment penalty for payoff. I have confirmed with BMW Financial by calling 1-800-831-1117. Beware that Dealers won't tell you about no prepayment penalty.

Hope this helps.
    The extended Maintenance option is indeed $200 more expensive for the Diesel compared to the gas model. I would assume that is for the maintenance of the urea stuff (emission).
    As per repairs: Diesel engines are in general more reliable and last forever. I had several old Mercedes Diesels and every single one had more than 300,000 miles on the clock and hadn't it be for rust, they would probably still run fine.
    Of course the new generation Diesels are much more complex, but in my opinion, the Diesel engine is the better concept overall.
    Potential hit on your credit score? I was told in the past that paying off loans too early has negative impact. Not sure this true or just a rumor...
    We are near Houston and I didn't get anywhere near the deal. Car ordered yesterday.

Base diesel 56,700
    premium package 3,500
    technology package 1,700
    running boards 300
    bmw apps 250
    destination 875
    Total MSRP $63,325

Only credits are ECO credit $2,500 and a markdown of 1,595.

GSInill - it sounds like you got $8,425 in markdowns. I'm rethinking my deal!!!
    edited November 2011
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, my negotiations started out fairly slow as well.
    I actually contacted a dealer out of state first to get a better price - I would have picked up the car in Spartanburg at the factory if I had gone non local, sounds like fun anyway...
    Not sure, but I felt I could have gotten an even better deal but time was running out...
    And, it looks like there is a good chance now that I also might get the loyalty credit for my BMW bike.
    I would definitely go back and renegotiate. Maybe you can threaten to switch to another dealer for service since that's where they make their money anyway.
  • driveringcheapdriveringcheap Member Posts: 2
    Great deal! I don't mind to drive to PA to get my X5. Can you share the name of dealer with us? :confuse:
    edited November 2011
    I live in NJ and have checked about 10 different dealers around here and this is the best deal I got. Dealer is Faulkner BMW. Lancaster, PA. I have not visited the dealer yet. Deal is done over the Phone and Emails. They don't have any X5s in stock I guess. My X5 is build to order (placed on 11/1/11) and production is not started yet.
    www.faulknerbmw.com
    Finally got the deal I wanted after I spoke to another dealer and had a competing offer. The first salesman either wasnt aware of the NAV credit or didn't think I knew about it. After some discussions with the first dealer and a mention of the new deal, my original deal was sweetened considerably.Very comparable to yours. Approximately 8k including the 1k for financing through BMW.
    Glad it finally worked out! :)
    RMKlein-

Like GSinIll said, I think competing offers is the key to negotiation. Things started out slow at my local dealer as well, until I said I would just a quote from an out of town dealer. My salesman knows I travel for a living, and bought my last new car out of state, so I was not bluffing when I said I would do it again. In the end, he stepped up and kept my business local. I also got about $8400 off sticker. It can be done!

However, they have completely fallen short on the financing end. I was pre-approved through my own lender when I placed my order, but the finance guy wanted a crack at beating my interest rate. I told him to have at it. That was a week ago. I kept getting the put off email from the salesman, so the husband stopped by the dealership yesterday. They had not even sumbitted my info to BMW yet! After a week! The extra $1000 bonus credit is the only thing keeping me from telling them what I really think of their finance guy.
  • driveringcheapdriveringcheap Member Posts: 2
    kind far away. but thanks, I might try it too.
  • midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    I purchased an X5 d with the following options

Platinum Gray
    Dark Burl Walnut Trim
    Active Vent Seat Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    3rd Row seat
    Bmw Apps
    Multi-Contour seats

MSRP 67675.00

Dealer price 63409.24

From that I got these rebates deducted some of these rebates may have expired.

2500 ECO credit
    1730 Navigation Credit
    1000 Olympic drive credit

Actual Price 58179.00 Plus NYS Tax

I also purchased the tire insurance and extended warranty after the deal was completed. I picked the truck up at the BMW performance center in South Carolina. This is a fantastic experience and should be done at least once if possible. I am also a BMW Car Club member and have applied for an additional 1000.00 rebate available to club members with over 12 months of membership. The deal was done at BMW of the Hudson Valley largely with the help of my wife and True car pricing service.
    Just curious midtown. Why did you pick it up in SC? Any advantages? Do they spend more time going over the car and it's functions? Thanks! It sounds like you got a great deal !!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    BMW calls it Performance Center Delivery...

It's a pretty neat program, and no extra charge.. I think they have a link on their website..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks!
    Hi rmklien
    It is very diffecult to get any good deals in Houston, just because they have the strongest economy in the country right now, lots of oil and gas money. All my friends are buy their cars out of town over the phone.
    Ab-are you in Houston? Our deal is not as good as others but including the NAV and Eco credits and BMW financing credit we are about $ 8,500 off msrp. We purchased the x5 diesel with premium,tech,sport and upgraded sound packages. Also running boards and apps. Total msrp of $67,025 for approximately $58,500. Diesel sure seems like the way to go. Lots of torque, better mileage and lower emissions.
    No not in Houston but I travel their for work and know the area very well.
    Just so you know there is about 1200-1500 hold back on the cars and about $500 for marketing cost. The Eco credit is (BS), the gas and diesel are very close $600+-
  • midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    Performance Center Delivery

You have to get there on your own that's it for your costs. BMW's hotel will pick you up from the airport in the Marriort courtesy van or a car if you request. BMW puts you and a guest up in the Greenville Marriot they cover your dinner that evening and breakfast the next day. At around 7:30 am after breakfast you head to the Performance center. Upon arrival you check in and are introduced to the folks that will deliver your vehicle. Next you are taken to a classroom to discuss driving techniques and some of BMW's safety and performance features. After that the group splits with half going to the handling course and the other half to the skid pad. You also practice ABS braking. Then Lunch at the center. After lunch 1/2 of the group starts their deliveries the other half is taken to the BMW factory for a tour. After the tour you are taken to the BMW off-road course in X5s to demonstrate their abilities. All of the driving is done in a car or suv that you will be getting with the exception of the skid pad and off road course. The actual delivery process in my case took almost three hours. The delivery person was a BMW motorcycle instructor and he went over the features of the vehicle. I do not believe a dealership could spend the time. Then you are on your way.
    Thanks! Did you ever discuss shipping your vehicle back to your BMW center. I read online that it's at the customers cost which makes little sense in that the dealer would have to ship the car if you didn't do the performance center delivery. Is it worth the experience?
  • gagamelgagamel Member Posts: 1
    I live in Washington DC. Today I ordered 2012 X5 3.5i premium.

Space Gray and Black Nevada Interior ($55,200)
    With Convenience ($3,500), Technology ($1,700), Cold Weather Packages ($750), and Running Board ($300).

MSRP: $62,325 (incl. Destination charge $875)
    Final price: $54,945+tax+tags+processing fee = $56,666

What do you think? Is it a good deal?
    edited November 2011
    It looks like about 6.5% off MSRP (before incentives and rebates) is very doable. Would those of you in the know agree?

The deal I'm targeting right now on a 2012 X5 35d is:

MSRP: 65,325
    Less Dealer Discount 6.5%: 61,079
    Less ECO, Nav, Loyalty: 55,849

So total purchase price of 55,849 + TTL

Does this seem realistic? My local dealers are acting as-if I'm out of my mind. They keep trying to tell me they are "giving me" the ECO, Nav, and Loyalty discounts. I'm telling them BMW is giving those to me, and they have no impact on their margins.

I'm thinking about going out of state, but only if my target figures are realistic.