Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mannydommannydom Member Posts: 41
    what should one's expectations be at day of lease signing?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I requested a monthly lease quote by e-mail on an X5 4.4 for 36 months, 36,000 miles. Instead of giving me a quote, the salesman e-mailed me that he will try and beat any quote I get in writing from another dealership.
    What is the best way to respond?
    My instinct tells me to never contact this dealership again. I don't like playing games.
    Should I just move on?
    Thanks.
    hpowders
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I might try one more e-mail... saying: I asked for a quote from you..

See what kind of response you get.. If it is more of the same, then I would definitely move on...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was on leasecompare(a fine place to look if you want bloated money factors and very low residuals) and they had a link to a dealer lease quote. I figured I would get a quote. Nope.
    I will wait for the end of June when dealers will be much more willing to deal.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • psullivanpsullivan Member Posts: 1
    I currently lease a 2002 X5 w/ Premium Package, Rear Climate, Cold weather package, and automatic transmission. I have 42 month lease @ $521 month (15,000 miles per year), I put down an additional $1000 cap reduction at the time of purchase. I think this was a real good deal. I am currently over my miles by 300 miles and the lease is up at the end of July. I figure I will owe about $1000 at the end of the lease in over charges.

I am currently negotiating for a new X5. 2005 with Cold Weather Package, Leather, Moonroof, automatic. No premium package or rear climate. The car will be ready in early June - 36 month lease @ $590 per month (15,000 per year) with a $1000 cap reduction. The dealership will cover $500 of the over mile charges, and tint the back windows for free (since I'm not getting the rear climate package).

Do you think this is a good deal? I think it is great the dealer is willing to help with the miles & tint, I am just not trilled to pay $70 extra per month for a vehicle that has less features (no premium or rear climate). Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.
    The dealer isn't really "helping" with your overage and the tint.. I'm sure he is factoring that cost into the deal. IOW, no such thing as a free lunch.

But, a 36 month lease is usually more expensive than a 42 month lease.. Factor in higher interest rates and a higher MSRP for '05 vs. '02 and it doens't look like much of an increase to me....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mdkappymdkappy Member Posts: 5
    Would you please advise on a reasonable 36 month, 15K/yr lease (including 6% sales tax) with just inceptions down (acq fee $625, doc fee $98, DMV $278 and 1st month's payment)? Credit score is >800. Last leased with BMW in 1995. I live in Northern NJ.
    Premium package
    Navigation
    Automatic
    Xenon Adaptive Headlights
    Cold Weather Package
    Rear Door Airbags
    Preference color: Kalahari Beige Metallic with Truffle Brown interior

I don't know what the latest residual is or what the money factor is here in the Northeast. I really appreciate your help.
    Figure out the MSRP, and I'll run some numbers..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bobby4bobby4 Member Posts: 3
    On the BMW website, this is a special lease offer they have

"Lease financing available on 2005 BMW X5 3.0i vehicles, registered outside of NY, only at participating BMW centers on leases assigned to BMW Financial Services NA, LLC/Financial Services Vehicle Trust through April 30, 2005. Monthly lease payments of $479.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $43,670.00 (includes automatic). (Total lease payments including acquisition fee is $17,244.00).

Excludes tax, title, license, and registration fees.(could someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for these?)

10,000 miles per year, 20 cents for every additional mile

395$ disposition fee

Vehicles registered outside of N.Y.
    $479 First month’s payment
    $2,500 Down payment
    $500 Security Deposit
    $3,479 Cash due at signing
  • radtech24radtech24 Member Posts: 2
    This sounds like a great deal. Could you please tell me in which state or city you are. If you are around LA, please tell the dealership's name. I am thinking about leasing a 2005 X5. I went to one dealership and they gave me estimated deal. 36 month lease. $2000 due at signing with 694/month for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year. I don't think that sounds like a good deal. This car has sports package, premium package and couple more things for a total of around $51,000.

Let me know your feedback please

Thanks
  • murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    I have received a quote for 2005 - X5 - 3.0i with the following Packages.
    Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Automatic, Leather, Self Dimming Interior Mirror, Xenon Lights:
    MSRP - $49,920/-
    Invoice - $45,725/-
    Selling Price: $46,998/- + Tax + Title + (Processing Fee ($389.70). :cry: )

With Navigation:
    MSRP - $51,170
    SP - $50,170/-

On X3 same options as above without Navigation
    MSRP - $44,295
    SP - $38251

Is this quote a good one? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am not
    comfortable with this quote. How much can I negotiate. They have above 7 X5's
    in their lot and require suggestions and expertise of this group, so that I could
    get my first luxury vehicle.

Thanks in advance,

Murmal.
  • nevisnevis Member Posts: 9
    Went to a bay area dealer and was told that the money factor is 0.00165, quite high compared to the 0.00125 not so long ago. Is this from the recent interest rate hike or the dealer's mark up?
    That is the dealer mark-up.. the MF is still .00125

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for the info. kyfdx, I'll contact the other dealers to see what they offer. Is it still possible to get the $500 over invoice kind of deal these days?
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Does anyone know if BMW leases a CPO?

Thanks
  • jimincajiminca Member Posts: 1
    Hi Gurus,
    Never leased a vehicle before so apologize for my ignorance. Need to find out if this is a good deal:
    2004 X5 4.4I lease at $711/month. The seller has a lease till Aug 2007 and wants to transfer the lease as-is. His current odometer is pretty low and hence the lease is left with about 30K miles in the next 27 months.
    The purchase price at end of lease is $35K.
    Not sure how lease payments are calculated - any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.
    If you have a few thousand $$ lying around, would it be a bad idea to put it as down payment? less finance charge isn't it?
    The finance savings would be minimal...

For instance... assume the money factor is .00125.... Each $1000 you put down will only save $1.25/mo. in finance charges... The effective interest rate is only 3%.. You can earn that on a bank CD..

Not worth putting your money at risk for that amount..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is it worth getting the lease protection? $599 covering $5000 cost of wear and tear. But each item has to be under $500. So it sort of falls in between small scratches that are "normal wear and tear" and major ones that should be covered by your auto insurance.
    For $599, I'll take my chances.. Other than over-mileage charges, I've never been hit with more than $125 at lease end.. I think the most I've heard anyone else being charged was still under $2K, and that was because of unrepaired collision damage... that can be covered under your auto policy..

This sounds like a dealer "profit-center"...

What does your car you drive now look like after three years?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx, you're always so helpful.

I am relatively a careful driver, so my current car of 3 years has one ding from the shopping cart and a few small scratches on the bumper. I think the measure by BMW is that any scratches less than 2" is considered to be normal wear and tear, but of course every dealer might be a little different on this.

Say, when you return the car at the end of the lease, and they ask for repair cost, is it possible to try to return it to another dealer or get an extension to fix it at another shop?
    Always have a pre-turn-in inspection... They will send an independent inspector, or have you come by the dealer for an inspection.. about three weeks before turn in... that way, if there are any issues, you can have them taken care of yourself at probably a lower cost..

You don't want to turn it in on the last day of your lease with no inspection, and be at the mercy of the inspector... Most are honest and forgiving, but you never know..

If you treat the car like you own it, you'll have no problems..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey Kyfdx.
    I was offered invoice plus $2000 on an X5 4.4.
    MSRP $57575
    invoice $53117
    cap cost $55117($2458 off MSRP)
    My question is in these days of slow SUV sales and higher gas prices, do you think offering $1000 over invoice or even less is more in line with today's market?
    Thanks.
    hpowders
    1) I really have no concrete idea of how the market is for an X5 4.4...

2) I doubt gas prices have a lot of effect on the $50K+ SUV market.. For a poor schlub (like me) who is trying to stretch his finances to get into a $32K Suburban or something similar, it might be different..

3) You can't lose by offering less... All they can say is no..

4) If they use the base money factor and acq.fee, I don't think $2K profit is a bad deal on a $57K car... Of course, less is always better.. The residuals and money factors are very favorable right now, so the lease payments should be reasonable.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Okay. I offered the following deal and it was accepted by email
    X5 4.4
    MSRP $57575
    Invoice $53117
    Cap. cost $55117
    mf 0.00125
    residual 60%
    acquisition fee $695(after I questioned them on jacking it up to $1000!)
    Should be $683.51 pre-tax.
    My current 325 lease is up August 2nd and the dealer would take the car off my hands because he
    figured out I have "broken even on equity" in my current lease.
    What do you think?
    I saw a lot of X5's sitting on his lot and the quickness that he accepted my offer makes me think I could probably do better.
    He asked me to call him. I didn't agree to anything.
    Thanks.
    hpowders
    I get the same number.. That should leave you with 1st pymt, security deposit and acq.fee upfront + title/license.

Another $1000 lower would save you $29/mo.+tax.

It doesn't sound bad, if that is the car you want... With $2000 to work with, I'd make sure that included all "dealer fees".. Tell them if they have another fee, they'll have to subtract it from your selling price.. If they are taking you out of your 325i two months early, that is worth something to you, as well..

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: What kind of gas mileage do you expect to get?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ah yes. The gas mileage problem. I have seen an estimate of only 14 mpg combined. I do mostly highway driving so maybe 18mpg. Of course my 325 gives me 26 mpg combined. I figure at least $500 a year more in gas per year.
    Heck people are complaining a lot over on the M35/45 board about getting only 16 mpg combined with either M and those are sedans.
    As always, thanks a lot for you advice.
    hpowders
    Hey kyfdx. I was offered a fairly good deal on an X5 4.4 as posted above. Money factor is .00125 as it should be. Obviously not selling well or it would have been jacked up.
    My monthly payment pre-tax would be $683.51. As a repeat customer, my security deposit would probably be waived. I would like to lower the monthly payment by paying multiple security deposits up front. How much is the money factor lowered for each security deposit pre-paid up front and what is the maximum amount of security deposits I am allowed to pre-pay?
    Thank you.
    hpowders
    Old plan: 9 extra deposits... .0001 for each one, for total of .0009 lower... No brainer deal... Unfortunately, this is the old plan..

New plan: 5 extra deposits.. .00005 for each one, for total of .00025 lower.. Still saves money, and a better return than a CD, but not a "must-do", like the old plan.

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: Probably would save about $20/mo. on your deal, with an extra $3400 in deposits...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• karykary Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    I am getting a great deal on 2002 X5 which has just 16000 mles on it.

Can any body advise whether 2002 X5 has any maintainence issues.
  • karykary Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am getting a 2002 BMW X5 with 16000 miles on it for under 30,000 can any body advise whether this is a good buy and this model does not have problems.
  • cm23cm23 Member Posts: 4
    greetings

i'm a leasing novice who would greatly appreciate some guidance. familiarity with the new york market (i'm based on long island) would be a real plus.

i received this offer:

2005 x5 3.0i
    with automatic transmission, coldweather package (estimated at $750).
    heated steering wheel ($150), pdc ($700), and leather upholstery ($1,450)

36 months/10k year (lowest miles i could get, i will probably use less)

msrp: $46,720
    money factor: .00125
    residual: 61%

$650/month
    $1,417.71 up front - comprised of first month $650, security $650,
    dealer fees $67.50 (and apparently another $50 not itemized)

this package represents my basic requirements ( i'm not even sure about the pdc but the dealer says it would save only $7/month).

a few questions, please:

is this a good/fair deal?

any suggestions as to how i can do better?

anything essential from the "a la carte" menu that i'm omitting?

finally, i would like an upgrade on the cd player - i believe the dealer said the basic package only accomodates a single disc.. any advice on what that should cost?

thanks to one and all for any assistance..

This is a terrible deal.. Off the top of my head, it looks like they are selling you the car for MSRP.. And that is with the assumption that the payment includes sales tax.. BMW X5s are not exactly flying off the lots..

Here is what it should look like:

$46,720 MSRP
    $44,220 Selling price ($2500 off.. still lots of profit left)
    $44,845 Cap cost (selling price + acq.fee)
    3yr/30K lease
    Residual 61%
    MF .00125
    Monthly payment $546/mo.+ tax..

This is with the same upfront cost that you provided..

Your dealer is correct about the cost of the PDC.. probably under $10/mo.. Upgrading to a CD changer is expensive on a BMW... Usually, they can't residualize the entire cost.. Something simple like this can cost you $20/mo.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks, kyfdx. i very much appreciate your time and assistance.

just to clarify:

you indicate that the monthly payment should be $546 plus tax. can you calculate what that additional tax cost would be.

and if, as you say, the x5s are "not flying off the lot", should i be able to obtain a deal that doesn't leave the dealer "still lots of profit left".

any advice on which long island or ny dealers might be the best to contact?

thanks.
    Ahh.. New York.. missed that part..

So, make the acquisition fee $900 instead of $625... (add $8/mo. to payment, and blame NY's vicarious liability laws).

Tax is around 8.25% in NY? So, the adjusted payment of $554/mo. with tax becomes $599/mo. tax included..

When I said "lots of profit", I didn't mean they were getting rich off of you.. Just that the deal I proposed has a good possiblity of being accepted without grinding for days and days with dozens of dealers.. A lot of people report $500 over invoice deals, but that doesn't mean they are easy to come by... I just used this example as something that would be fair and achievable.. $600/mo. with only first payment and security deposit upfront..

If you can get the selling price down another $1000, then it would save you $30/mo.. That might be hard to do, though.. I don't have any recommendations for NYC area dealers... I've heard of low prices from Open Road BMW in Edison, NJ, or Carbone in Utica, NY (that might be a haul from where you are).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Some of those Long Island dealers can be very cocky about their luxury cars. My parents bought 2 BMWs (an '04 X5 3.0iA & an '05 530iA) from Wide World of Cars last year in Spring Valley, NY. The dealership is in Rockland County, about 10 minutes off the Tappan Zee Bridge. It would take you maybe an hour and change to get there (depending on where on the Island you live). Email other dealers, there are tons of them between Long Island, Westchester, NYC, Rockland, North Jersey, Southern CT.

My email in my profile is public, if you droip me a line, I'll give you the guy's name that I dealt with.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

kyfdx and nyccarguy

thank you both for your prompt and informative replies.
    your advice will definitely help my negotiaitons..

and nyccarguy - i will drop you a line to get your contact's name. thanks.
  • hberbout123hberbout123 Member Posts: 11
    HI
    prem,sport,navigation,cold,xenon,self dimm,auto

the dealer asking 0.0015 MF NOT 0.00125 he said thats the rate in california and also he mentioned the acq 800 and its fixed by BMW i read in this forum its about 625 is he making extra profit here?

MSRP 53870
    I Ofered 51000 679/month incluide tax 10k/36

he didnt agree!!!

ahould i offer more or find some one else
    any help appreciated
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    Keep negotiating. You can find the base MF for .00125. Plenty of people do it. He IS marking up the acquisition fee. Broaden your search for dealers in California. If you're close to Santa Barbara, try those guys.

good luck
    thank you

so how much shoud i offer over the invoice? and what is the ACQ FEE in california and the registeration?

he offer 2300 of the MSRP
    Acquisition fee is $625 in every state but NY ($900). BMWFS allows the dealer to mark up the fee by $200 maximum for extra profit.

I'd have a lot more respect for a dealer who honestly told me that, rather than lie about it. The fact that the dealer will flat out lie when questioned would make me find another dealer..

Of course, if they wouldn't agree to use the base rates, I'd find another dealer, anyway..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

hi
    kyfdx

i got finaly the car thanks for your help

2005 X5 3.0 PREM,PDC,COLD,XENON , NAV TOLEDO BLUE VERY NICE GREY INTERIOR 16 MILE ODOMETER

HERE IS THE INTERESTED PART ::
    believe it or not 9500 usd off the Msrp , still cant believe it even the car sitting in my garrage (im sleeping in the car today :P )

mrsp arround 52000

I PAID ARROUND 42000 + 1800 FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY incase i will decide to buy it later on
    TOTAL DRIVE OFF 1450
    MONTHLY 510 incluid tax 10000/36month no down payment

wow thanks for every one for thier help and support

BTW i payed 825 acq fee
  • vic528ivic528i Member Posts: 4
    Hi, What city did you buy this? This is a great deal. Thanks, Vic528i
    Modesto California
  • vic528ivic528i Member Posts: 4
    I have been to a number of dealers. Your numbers are not real and do not make sense. No one is discounting it this much. The best you can do is Invoice + 500. .
  • jharonisjharonis Member Posts: 7
    where is this report available

thanks
  • hrowehrowe Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kary,

Did you end up buying this SUV? I'm looking to buy a -02 X5, precertified, with 37K miles,
    Prem pack, Cold W pack, hifi sound ...for $36K (asking price).
    Thanks

l8tr,

HR
  • fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    Hey anyone out there have good pricing for X5 3.0 at NJ/NYC area?
  • nsharmansharma Member Posts: 2
    I have just started my search for a 2005 X5 3.0. I live in city with one BMW dealer, hence negotiating is tough. Can anyone recommend a dealer known for dealing in the SE region of the US? I'm actually within 100 miles of the factory where these things are made, so it seems like I should be able to find a deal.
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    Try Nalley BMW, Decatur, GA (closer to Atlanta).