Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abiseidabiseid Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am considering the BMW X5 2005 for lease and have seen it advertised for $459/mo. with like $3800 total inception fees. I have also seen many other manufacturers offer Zero Down on many cars (like Jeep) for very low prices (i.e jeep wrangler - 188/mo., jeep grand cherokee - 259/mo.).

My question is this....if these jeep and other manufacturers can offer zero down (sign and drive) and keep the payments very low, why can't I ask for the same from BMW? Can I go to the dealer and say...here is my 790 beacon score, I want this X5 for $459/mo with ZERO DOWN. Can it be done???????

Thanks for your help.
  • 4am4am Member Posts: 2
    Folks,
    Following is a quote that I got from a dealer here in Seattle, does it sound like a good deal. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Regards,
    MK

THE CAR THAT YOU SAW SILVER/BLACK LEATHER, ALL THE GOODIES!!! (SPORT/PREM/COLD/CLIMATE/XENONS).
    MSRP $51720,
    YOUR PRICE! $50168.
    36X LEASE WITH 10K PER YEAR @ 672.48 PLUS TAX WITH
    $1500 TOTAL OUT OF POCKET. RESIDUAL AT END OF TERM IS 31549.20 AND YOUR RATE IS 4.3% ON THE LEASE.

IMPORTANT NOTE! YOUR 1ST 32 PAYMENTS ARE WITH NO TAX, YOUR LAST 4 WILL BE WITH TAX IN YOUR AREA (9.1%). REASON IS, YOU HAVE TAX CREDIT ON YOUR TRADE IN
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    I don't have the new numbers for July, but I'll assume they are the same as June..(and, I'm pretty sure they are).

1) $1550 is not much of a discount.. At this time of year, and on a not-that-popular model, I would expect $2500-$3000 discount from MSRP at a minimum..

2) I'll assume that the $1500 includes the acquisition fee and the first payment..

3) It looks like they are bumping the money factor the maximum .0004 and also waiving the security deposit for an extra .00015.. This takes the MF up to .0018 (which equates to 4.3%) from the base MF of .00125.

So, small discount, money factor bumped the maximum.. not a very good deal..

With a $3000 discount from MSRP, acquisition fee of $625 added into the cap cost, base MF of .00125, and upfront of 1st payment and security deposit (still should be around $1500 total), the payment would be about $596/mo.+ tax..

So, they still have about $75/mo. to come down... I'd want at least $60/mo. of that, before I'd consider it a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 4am4am Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! for the sound advice. I will go back in......to negotiate. :):)
    Best Regards,
    MK
  • ca_manca_man Member Posts: 23
    Greetings....

How much is a fair price over invoice these days for a 2005 X5 4.4i ?
    Is $1000 over invoice too much of a stretch ?

Any input or experiences greatly appreciated .... :)
  • x5guyinlax5guyinla Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 2005 X5 4.4i for $64,250 out the door.......MSRP on it was $62,695. It has sport, premium, rear climate, & cold weather packages with nav & 19" rims. The invoice I saw on the dealer computer showed $57,810, and I got it for $58,890 before tax and reg. I think I got a decent deal...probably could have gotten a better deal if I didn't know the guy and was willing to walk away, but I REALLY did want to get the car right then and there. You might be able to get a better deal, maybe $500 over invoice, if you order it and are willing to wait the 6-8 weeks it takes to build one. I tried to see if they would do it $500 over invoice, but even the volume dealer in the Los Angeles County(Pacific BMW in Glendale) said they can't do that. Hopefully that helps.
  • nubeemernubeemer Member Posts: 1
    I just recently leased a 2005 x5 3.0,Toledo Blue/Gray Interior (Premium/Rear Climate/Park/Xenon), This is my first time leasing a beemer, want to know if I overpaid and got jiped:
    Downpayment = $4k,
    Total Monthly payment = $571 / mo (39 months lease @ 12k mi)
    MSRP = $49170
    Gross Capitalized Cost = $49k (I bought the Perma plate ($695) to protect my car)

- Just curious of the feedback so I would be better prepare next time, but otherwise I love my new car!!!
  • hberbout123hberbout123 Member Posts: 11
    it was listed in there websitei 41700 (wrong price)
    and the dealer honor his mistake. very honest people :shades:

orginal price 52700
  • gkc3gkc3 Member Posts: 3
    05 X5 3.0

51320 MSRP
    48482 Price
    MF 0.00145
    Acq 825
    Res 60%
    39 mo lease
    637 / mo incl tax

I'm thinking that this is an overall good deal
  • lrhonelrhone Member Posts: 1
    Looking at an X5-3.0 - Premium/Cold/Heated Stearing/Rear Heat *after all it is cold up here in the winter*

MSRP is $48,570
    Sell: $45,970 ($2600 off of MSRP)
    On a 39 month term with 12,000 miles per year and $0 down, payments are $688. This is based on a 61% residual and an APR of 4.5% and includes all sales tax, license and title. Literally $0 out of pocket at lease signing - includes tax, title registration. No security or first payment required. There is no acquisition fee. For every $1k we could/would put down the payment would go down $30.00/month.

This is Owners Choice financing offered by BMW, basically a baloon. At the end of term you have 3 options, pony up the cash, refinance or turn in.

In Chicago on any lease, we have to pay 9% sales tax on the sell price of the car. We also have to add an additional 6% to every monthly payment for a City of Chicago Lease tax. We are looking at this because of the tax issues described above.

Please advise.
  • bmwx5leaserbmwx5leaser Member Posts: 7
    Based on the info that is on the website of BMW, I should be able to get X5 3.0i ( MSRP ~43000 ) for 426/month. Based on that, I can assume that they are using the following to calculate the lease

1. Residual - 69%
    2. MF 0.00125

and the same holds for 4.4i as well. ( Using 56000 as the price ). Since the dealers in MA are willing to offer 3% over invoice without any haggle, I am planning to offer the following to the dealer

BMW 4.4i
    MSRP - $57,145
    Invoice - $52,600
    My Offer ( Adjusted Cap Cost )- 54178
    Down payment - $2500
    Trade In $3500
    MF 0.00125
    Residual - 69% ( 38640 )
    Sales Tax 5%
    Monthly Payment - ~435/month

Does this looks right - Based on what BMW finance is offering on BMW X5 lease. ( www.bmwusa.com)
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    If you could wait, would you until August possibly September for an X5 on a lease? Also, is there any hope at all of the leasing of 06 3 series coming down?
    Thanks,
    djocks
    The residuals aren't 69%... What you aren't taking into account is the selling price is discounted from MSRP... (Of course, they don't tell you what the selling price is, in their example).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hard to say.. Sometimes incentives switch to cash, instead of good lease rates, and the leases get more expensive.. especially at the end of the model year... Pretty darn good 39 month lease specials right now on the X5..

3-series? Price increase coming up on September 1st... that will probably negate any lease help that might be coming..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

X5 4.4i Wagon

36 mo/15k mi – 59% Residual Value – Money Factor .00075 Base Rate

I believe they also offer this same residual for 39mo/15K...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,
    thanks for the info. i am trying very hard to wait for a good time on a 3-series. not sure if it is ever going to happen. my lease on an 03' 330i is just about done. I test drove the new 325 and absolutely loved it. Every bit my 330i. Can't even imagine how great the new 330i is!
    Thanks again for the help.
    djocks
  • mdanemdane Member Posts: 10
    So, what is the base MF for the X5? Is it the same as the X3 (0.001)? What are the residuals for 12k miles? Do you have them for the 3.0 and the 4.4?

Thanks. I think I may prefer the X5 over the X3. The X3 was very bouncy in the back seat.
    X5 3.0i Wagon

36 mo/12k mi – 61% Residual Value – Money Factor .00100 Base Rate

X5 4.4i Wagon

36 mo/12k mi – 61% Residual Value – Money Factor .00075 Base Rate

I'm positive the numbers for the X5 3.0 are good for 39 months, as well..

Not sure if that applies to the 4.4 model..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mdanemdane Member Posts: 10
    Is there a longer lease, like 48 months? I am trying to get my payment down below $550. The best I can do at the current rates are $600. That is with the 0.0075 and $1500 over invoice.
    Yes.. but all of the low money factors are only on 36 month or shorter leases.. If you go to 48 months, the money factor jumps to .0027.. And the residual drops 19%...

It would be even more...

Realistically.... you can't lease a $60K car for $600/mo...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• awd2003awd2003 Member Posts: 54
    I'm working with a dealer in FL. 2005 --3.0, Premium, Rear Climate package, Auto, Interior Mirror

.0010 money factor, 10k /year 62% residual 39 months. $518. inc tx with fees up front
    I"m thinking less than $1000 over invoice. Any thoughts?
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    EXACTLY! At a certain point, the rubber has to meet the road! :sick:
  • supportpalsupportpal Member Posts: 2
    Kyfdx.. I'm looking to lease an X5 3.0 in California (LA) I was quoted a purchase price of $1500 over dealer invoice which makes my car $52,926.00 Including every conceivable fee... dealer, bank, security, taxes, lic, dmv etc. how much upfront cash should I be expecting to layout in order to have a payment under $550.? And, is it realistic to think I can get them to go for $500 over invoice? As you mentioned, they are pushing a 39 month lease. And they want me to put $5G down to have a payment of $560. (5G sounds like a big number...I have perfect credit) To get the options I want, I'm intending to order a car from the factory. So I want to close my deal this week and get it going. Thanks for the help!
    MSRP is needed for any lease calculation... also, your tax rate and the selling price would help..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• supportpalsupportpal Member Posts: 2
    Did more work on the proposed deal today. Now I'm at $55770 MSRP, 52550 Sale price, 1275 fees($825 acquisition,$405 Lic, $45 Doc...and note they marked the acquisition fee up by $200), $4000 down, 61% residual, .0014 MF , 39mos which they say comes to a $589.90 payment. As you mentioned in an earlier post, I'm trying to get them to go with .00100 MF. If they were to do that,I think it would make the payment $552. and I would be golden. However, they are saying that money factor is for BMW loyalty to those who currently own a BMW. I'm moving to LA from NY and he knows I don't have a bimmer. So, here I am where I was before, they want me to put down $5000 in order to have a $560. payment. How do these numbers sound to you? And, if I keep pushing do you think they would go for the .00100 in order to close the deal? Thanks!
    The BMW loyalty thing on the money factor is pure BS...

You might be to the "Do .0010 or I walk stage... "

Or.... "I want to write a check for $4K, and have my payment be $560/mo. or less for 39 months.. Do that and we have a deal.. Otherwise, I'm shopping elsewhere."

Good luck...
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdevsdev Member Posts: 7
    On a X5 3.0 lease with Premium, Auto, floor mats, the dealer offered.....

$4,000 at signing ($2,915 cap reduction)
    39 month
    1,000 miles/month
    MSRP $47,195, "deal value" $45,223
    Residual $29,078 (I won't buy at end of lease so don't care about residual)
    Payments $421 + tax = $453.96

Sound OK? Anyone have comments?
  • holdenout4lesholdenout4les Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to get into an X5 3.0 Premium with Rear Climate pkg (with or without Sport pkg) by the weekend. Any info on recent cap costs (how close are you getting to invoice?) or 39mo/15K lease terms would be very helpful. Thank you!
  • amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone! I've got this quote from my dealership and I would like to know if you think is fair or maybe I can do better:
    X5 3.0i

$44420 MSRP
    $40915 Invoice
    $41915 Selling price (invoice + $1,000)
    $625 acq fee
    $400 security deposit
    $93 tags
    .0001 money factor
    .62 resid @ 10k
    39 months,
    3% sales tax (Virginia)
    $1083.93 first month, sec dep, tags
    $491 a month

Thanks for any input that you can provide !!
    Angel
    I get $455/mo.+ tax.. Not sure how they figure the tax in Virginia, but unless it is 3% on the whole purchase price, it shouldn't come out to $36/mo.

I used a cap cost of $42,540.. (selling price + acq. fee)..

Ask them to break down the tax amount, or if the cap cost is some other number (and why?).

A pretty good deal, though..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    kyfdx, thanks for your reply. Based on your experience, how much should I be paying for taxes? Do you think it should be 3% on the sales prices minus the residual value instead?
    Thanks again,

Angel
    I don't know how it works in VA... You might call the local DMV...

Some states charge on the payment... some on the selling price.. some on the depreciation amount...

Some states charge different rates for leases than purchases..

I'm not up on Virginia, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,
    first of all thanks for the info on this and other bmw boards. i read all the time and you work very hard at this and are incredibly helpful!
    I just got back from vacation and monday begins august. you mentioned a money factor a few posts back of .0007? can this still be had and can you post any changes to lease rates for august if they come up. These numbers would all be for a 3.0i, premium, and cold.
    thanks
    djocks
    I find out the numbers just like everyone else... when they get posted on the internet.. We probably won't see the August numbers till the end of the week..

The .00075 MF was for the 4.4 model.. The 3.0 model has a .0010 MF.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    Anybody see the commercial for the X5 3.0 and X5 4.4i lease deals? $429 and $509 respectively...approx $2500 cap cost reduction (they call down payment). Seems like BMW wants to move these vehicles.

How realistic would it be to pay invoice for an X5 4.4i this month? Any input is appreciated. Thanks,
    J
  • bobby4bobby4 Member Posts: 3
    Could someone tell me if this is a good deal? I used this forum to create a imaginary deal(based on the quotes I saw) and told the dealer that it is one of the best deals available on the internet. Can he match it? he said he could and he did....

MSRP 43670 (base model, automatic)
    39 month lease at 10K miles a year
    Residual value at 62 %
    Money factor at 0.00115
    Don't have the exact selling price as yet(but it'll be a little less than 42000 which would include the acquisition fee)

Finally, monthly is 451 + tax
    Downpayment 1400.
    This includes all the possible fees.

So final deal is 451 + tax, with 1400 downpayment.

(Should also add-sent the same numbers to a leasing agent and got a reply from him that there is no way anyone could do this deal with those numbers in the US!!!!!)
    The base money factor is .0010....

If you use a cap cost of $42K, and the base MF, it does indeed give you a payment of $451/mo. + tax..

That supposes a selling price of $41,375, which seems possible..

Due at signing would be 1st payment, security deposit, title and license fees.. which shouldn't be more than $1400...

I'm not surprised they took it.. Good deal for you.. and fair for them.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wingwing Member Posts: 7
    I AM EXTREMLY CONFUSED DOWNPAYMENT OF 4,000.00 12,000 MILES PER YEAR ON A BMW X-5 3.0 MSRP OF 48820.00 DEALER STATES HE WOULD GIVE ME LEASE AND ONLY CHARGE 1000.00 OVER INVOICE WHAT SHOULD THE PAYMENT BE USING A .001 . PLEASE REPLY TO KEEP DEALER HONEST ALSO WHAT IF MONEY FACTOR DROPS TO .0075 ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS. DEALER KEEPS CHANGING QUOTES
    $4000 down, or $4000 total due at lease signing?

If $4000 total at lease signing, an approx. payment on a 39mo./12K lease would be $440/mo.+tax..

Hard to say exactly without all of the details... I wouldn't want to pay $4000 upfront to lease a car, though...

If you had a selling price of $46K (you need to know the selling price), the payment for a 39mo./12K lease would be $509/mo.+tax with only 1st payment, security deposit and title/license fees upfront.. (about $1400-$1500).

They can't got to .00075 for the money factor.. .0010 is the base rate.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wingwing Member Posts: 7
    SELLING PRICE IS 46000 MSRP WAS 48820 PAYMENT 440 PLUS TAX WITH 4500 DOWN SHOULD I PASS OR TAKE THE DEAL. 39 MONTHS 12000 MILES YOU ARE VERY SHARP YOUR NUMBERS ARE ALMOST EXACT. THEY ALSO WANT 500 MORE FOR SECURITY DEPOSIT TOTAL OUT OF POCKET IS 5000 IS THERE ROOM ON CASH DOWN TO GIVE THEM LESS AND END UP WITH SAME PAYMENT THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND KNOWLEDGE APPRECIATE IT. I DONT WANT TO HURT THE SALESMAN HE DESERVES SOME PROFIT BUT AM I PAYING TOO MUCH
  • zoom5zoom5 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All.

I am currently considering a 2006 4.8 X5. I love the car, but many experts (from various websites) are not much enthusiastic about it.

Any advice?
    If you love it, why do you care what they think?

Buy what you like...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please do not type in ALL CAPS as it makes your post difficult to read and is the message board equivalent of yelling. Thanks!
  • mep1mep1 Member Posts: 15
    Once the selling price of a car is determined, when considering/comparing leases, the main variables are the money factor and residual value...

Is there a place to look to get the current status of these or is this something each dealer plays with?. If there is a manufacturer special deal going on --- shouldn't we be able to get this information somewhere so we can make our own assessment of affordability instead of having to play the shell game with a dealer?

I am interested in which BMW models (in general and then specifically the X5 3.0 and 4.4) have the highest residual value after 3 years as well as what is the best money factor going. (Or does the money factor vary by model and used as an icincentiver disincentive to lease a particular model). Thanks if anyone can help with this...
    '05 X5 3.0i Wagon

36 mo/15k mi – 59% Residual Value – Money Factor .00100 Base Rate

'05 X5 4.4i Wagon

36 mo/15k mi – 59% Residual Value – Money Factor .00075 Base Rate

Add 2% to the residual for 12K mi. leases...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 101kgb101kgb Member Posts: 3
    First of all thanks to kyfdx for all the diligent answers. Where do you find the current Money Factor information? Are the lease figures you quoted in your last email going to vary much between the 36 month period you stated and the 39 month period that seems to be favored by BMW? Anyone had any experience with the Aerodynamic kit on the X5? Do they have cars already outfitted with it or is it special order? If I want to take advantage of the lease rates that supposedly end Aug. 31 but the car I want needs to be ordered, when is my first payment due if the car takes several weeks to arrive? And do these lease rates still apply if the car must be ordered?

thanks
    You can find the numbers elsewhere on the net.... other BMW forums.. Actually, the same numbers (including residual) are good for the 39 month lease on the X5 3.0... I'm not sure if that applies to the 4.4 model, though..

I'm guessing that the aerodynamic kit would be expensive to add to a lease.. any time you have a dealer installed accessory, you usually can't residualize the entire cost..

If you order a car, you can lock in the lease rate.. it will be good until 60 days after the expiration of the current program.. (October 31st, in this case). The lease starts on the day you sign and take delivery of the car... 1st payment is due on that day..

These lease rates only apply to '05 models.. if you are ordering an '06 model, they will have different rates and residuals..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• breterstbreterst Member Posts: 18
    kyfdx first thanks for all the great posts. Do you think it is possiable to buy an X5 3.0 for around $800 over invoice this month? Do you think I have a shot at getting this proposed deal from a dealer on a 39 month lease , 10,000 miles per yr on an X5 3.0, Auto, premium,sport,cold weather packages
    MSRP $50,320
    Invoice $46,085
    Deal price $46,896
    Down $1875
    Accquisition fee $900 (NY)
    Security $500
    NY tax 8.625%
    $494 per month includes tax

Thanks
    Bret
  • 101kgb101kgb Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the detailed and rapid reply. I've noticed on Motor Trend's website they show the dealer holdback amounts for most cars. The holdbacks for the X5 are shown as $834 (3.0) and $1,056 (4.4). Do you know if these are accurate? And how low can you beat down the dealer towards invoice,considering they still have this profit margin with the holdback? What is an acceptable profit margin on a vehicle such as an X5. I'm assuming these leasing incentives are motivated out of moving the old model year and that dealers will be motivated to take what they can get.
    Technically, BMWs don't have holdback.. Those numbers look like 2% of base MSRP... I'm not saying that BMW doesn't have some kind of program based on sales, where dealers earn extra money.. they just don't have holdback, per se..

Anyway, getting a BMW dealer down to invoice or below, without a specific dealer incentive on that particular vehicle has proven to be just about impossible..

That said, the X5 3.0 is not that good of a seller.. If you find the right dealer, you may be able to get $500-$1000 over invoice... That may take some major shopping around, though... I don't hear enough about the 4.4 model to have any sense of the market... though, I'm guessing that it won't sell as close to invoice as the base model.... When you get above $50K, most dealers seem to insist on at least a $2K spread between invoice and sale price..

But, the lease terms are very good...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator