Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    What is the total due at signing? $1875?

Or, is it....

$1875 down
    $900 acq.fee
    $500 security deposit
    $494 tax
    $3769 Total?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edit.. If it is $3769 due at signing...it looks like they may be marking up the money factor from .0010 to .00125... or something close to that.. However, that is a very aggressive sale price... The mark-up adds about $20/mo..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• breterstbreterst Member Posts: 18
    $3769 due at signing

$1875 down
    $900 acq fee
    $500 security
    $494 first months payment

Do you think $800 over invoice is a good goal # on an X5 3.0 with the premium,sport,auto,cold weather packages? Is the August Money factor on the X5 3.0 .001?

Thanks for the help
    I think $800 over would be a great deal.. .and, yes.. the MF is .0010...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks I am going to shop that deal to every dealer in the area. Thanks for the help
  • sdevsdev Member Posts: 7
    I got a '05 3.0 for $421/month plus tax. $4,000 drive off (first month, taxes, cap reduction), MSRP of $47,670 (premium, rear air, auto trans)
    39 months, 12k/year
    So I would keep pushing
  • wingwing Member Posts: 7
    kyfdx thank you for all your posts we appreciate your knowledge and help on making the right decisions. please help with this proposal and formula for this lease.
    msrp 48,820
    invoice 44,720 plus 500 maco 180 service fee 45,400
    deal 1,000 over invoice 46,400
    5,000 down
    please calculate what monthly should be with 6.5 tax
    39 months 12,000
    thanks
  • bmwx1bmwx1 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to lease a X5 3.0 and like to get some feed back on how well X5 3.0 handles during the winter time. I am not getting the sport package.
    Thanks,
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    Greetings:
    I have a quandary before me: do I lease a new '05 X5 3.0 w/premium package, rear climate package, cold weather package, auto trans, comfort seats, heated wheel, dimming mirrors, PDC, Xenon lights, and navigation MSRP $53,420 and dealer giving $2700 off (revised @ $50,720). Taxes are $3,424 (IL 6.75%) and 1st payment plus security deposit is due (approx. $4600) w/ mo. payments under $580 for 39 mos. Does this sound like a good lease offer or should I move on? The other consideration is I currently own a '99 528iaT Sportwagon in excellent shape w/56k miles. I'll have it paid off in two more years @ 3.4% w/payments of $340.61/mo. (payoff is $6637). It doesn't have navigation or PDC and is a couple years out of warranty. How costly are BMWs out-of-warranty and do I fight the urge to have the latest/greatest. I love my wagon but I wonder if I'd be better off leasing instead of owning, especially with all the electrical/computer components. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look foward to your reply!
  • kirbykirby Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2005 X5 3.0 from a Cincinnati dealer MSRP 49,720 for 46,100 at the end of July. Thanks to all for the input - I feel like I got a great deal because of being informed.
    BMW Store or Sweeney?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    05 X5 3.0 with Premium, Step., Xenon and Cold Weather. MSRP $48620, Invoice $44540. I'm thinking $1000 over invoice, so Net Cap Cost $45540. With a residual of 59% and MF of 0.001 for a 39mo/15k miles lease. I figure the payments at $506.38 or $548.16 with tax. Did I figure the lease rate correct? Are there any other fees I need to add to the Invoice? I got the invoice price from Edmunds. Is this possible in the Southern Ca. area? Thanks for your response. :D
    I have no idea whether you can get an X5 for $1000 over invoice, and get the base rates, as well... But, that is what I would be shooting for...

Your calculation is correct.. However, I always add the acquisition fee ($625) into the cap cost.. That will add about $17-$18 to your payment...

Then, your upfronts would be 1st payment, security deposit, CA registration, tire fee, etc... Probably $1700 or so, total...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks so much kyfdx. One more question, I've read that people send multiple emails to local dealers for the best quote. Is this the best way to obtain the best price? Thanks again for your response.
    I guess it is worth a try.... I've never done it that way, though I have negotiated and contacted dealers by e-mail... but, usually, the final deal is done face to face...

Check into some of the other BMW forums (you can google to find them), and you might be able to get some specific recommendations for dealers and salespeople... SoCal is a big market, so there are a lot of dealers to choose from...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nayyarnayyar Member Posts: 9
    I live in NY, went to a BMW dealer yesterday in NJ. He gave me a quote of an MSRP $50470 05 X5 for $47615. This is without any negociations. So my monthly is coming to 587.21/ month w Tax for 15k/39 month lease.
    I am wondering if I should try to negociate and what selling price is a good number to aim at for this car. I am thinking with the 06 model the MF might go up and similar car will cost a lot more so maybe its a good time to close a deal by 8/31/05. Do you have any idea about by how much BMW will be raising the MF and/or residuals for 06 models?
    Thanks,
    I will really appreciate an input on this.
    The lease deals are very good on the X5, right now... Residuals are still very strong (artificially so, I think), and the 39 month specials help even more..

Not knowing how much money is due upfront, I can't really comment on whether your lease deal is good or not, but the selling price looks very good...

If you haven't done any negotiations, there is no harm in trying to get a lower price...

I do agree that things might not get a lot better after this... Even if they do, there may not be much to choose from, once the '06s start hitting the lots... I definitely wouldn't want to wait for the '06, hoping to get a better lease deal on them..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This is with 0 money down. A total of $2426 in inception fee containing
    587.27 first month
    800 bank fee
    69 tax on cap
    230.50 dmv
    600 security
    140 document fee (dealer).
    So, what should I offer the dealer without looking stupid. 45000 or 46000?
    That is helpful... a few things..

1) $800 acquisition fee... marked up from $625 base.. all extra profit for the dealer.

2) It looks like they are also marking up the money factor.. the base factor is .001, and from my calculations, it looks like they are using .0013... This is raising the payment by an extra $24/mo. approx.

You say you are buying this in NJ, but are you living in NJ? I'm assuming the 6% NJ tax on cap cost reductions and depreciation, but if you live in NY or PA, the taxes will be higher, which could account for the discrepancy...

If you are indeed in NJ, then I'd just ask them to lower the upfronts by $200, and knock $20/mo. off the payment, and you'd have a good deal... I have no problems with the selling price...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I live in NY. So NY taxes will apply 8.625%. What is the acq fee for NY? (800?).

When I calculate my lease on MSRP 50470, sale price 47615. with 0.001 and 59% residual for 39 months. I get a 580/month with tax. The dealer quoted me 587/month with tax. What is the $7 difference for .. Am I missing something that needs to be added to the sale price ?
  • kirbykirby Member Posts: 9
    BMW Store
    NY acq.fee was $900 up until the new transportation bill was passed this month.. Part of that bill fixed the problems with vicarious liability laws that was causing the higher fee in NY and some other states.. I've heard that BMWFS has dropped the fee back to $625 now... I'm not positive of that, but it is possible that the NJ dealer isn't aware of it (not likely), or that they are marking the fee up for extra profit (likely), or that I am mistaken (happens all the time).

There are almost as many ways to figure the sales tax on a lease, as there are states... IIRC, NY takes the total lease payments, multiplies that by the tax rate, and the money is all paid upfront.. So, the leasing company then just adds that onto the cap cost.... this results in a couple dollars extra per month in finance charges...

That won't make up a $7/mo. difference, but it will up it by a couple.. maybe they could show you the numbers.. they seem to have been pretty forthcoming, so far..

It looks like you have a good handle on the numbers... and, now that we know you live in NY, I'd say you have a pretty decent deal... Of course, since this is their first proposal, you could always ask for more... Maybe something as simple as: "I'm happy with the payment, but that is too much upfront... cut it by $500, and you have a deal". Just make sure that doesn't involve them waiving the security deposit.... No point in getting $500 upfront to lose it on the back end.. A combination of lowering the acquisition fee and the sale price would be better..

And, if this is as good as it gets... you still have a good deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That's great... they aren't known for being all that competitive on price.. Hopefully, they'll make me a great deal, next time...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What NJ dealer did you go to?

Thanks
    Bret
  • tgr99tgr99 Member Posts: 5
    BMW X5 3.0

MSRP: $50,420
    Selling Price: $47,643.50
    Money Factor: .00130
    Residual: 62%
    Mothly Payment: $565.00/Month (tax included)
    Term: 39 Months, 10K Mileage
    Inceptions: $1,727.00 (no cap reduction)
    * New Jersey 6% Taxes included in inceptions

Thanks in advance. :)
    BMW X5 3.0

MSRP: $50,420
    Selling Price: $47,643.50
    Money Factor: .00115
    Residual: 62%
    Mothly Payment: $550.00/Month (6% NJ tax included)
    Term: 39 Months, 10K Mileage Allowance
    Inceptions: $2,220.70 ( $625 Acquisition Fee, $550.00 Deposit, $326.70 DMV, $169.00 Doc Fee, $550.00 1st Payment)

Thanks in advance.
    After a day of negociating I am closing this deal for 599/month including taxes for Staten Island, NY for 15k/39 month lease
    X5 with premium, cold weather, rear climate, heated wheel, auto and NAV
    MSRP: 50370
    Selling price: 48056
    invoice: 46330 (plus the dealer wants to add floor mats and detailing cost into invoice)
    at 59% and 0.001
    Inception include
    599 first month
    600 security
    825 acq .... the dealer agreed to give me 200 cash back as i told them acq should be 625
    82 docs
    + motor vehicle ...

I have found it difficult to negociate cars with NAV on it? Is it usually the case. Besides I think i could have saved another few dollars but I wanted to go with my color choices and the dealer knew that I am very interested in this particular color combination with NAV.
  • plintonplinton Member Posts: 3
    I'd like some input from the leasing whizzes in this forum. I recently started the buying (negotiation) process for an X5 3.0 automatic here in MD (near DC)

Base price ($41,700) + automatic transmission ($1,275) + premium package ($3,400) + Rear climate ($600) + cold weather ($750) + heated steering wheel ($150) + destination ($695) = MSRP of $48,570

Initial offer price from dealer: $47,035 (discount of $1,535)
    *There is some room (at least $500) on the price given what I've seen in this forum.

The sales person offered two lease options:
    $529/month ($4,750 out of pocket), 39 months, 10K miles/year
    $539/month ($4,750 out of pocket), 39 months, 12K miles/year

I asked to speak to the finance person because these payments don't make sense given what I've read in other posts. Here are the details:
    Money factor: 0.00155 (includes 0.00015 for security deposit waiver)
    Acquisition fee: $825
    Security deposit: None (would be $600 if 0.00015 not added to money factor)
    Residual value: 62%
    MD tax (~5%): $2,352
    Tags/license: $243

* The $4,750 out of pocket covers the acquisition fee, taxes, tags, initial payment and reduces the capital cost by ~$265.

A few questions:
    - Is the money factor of 0.0014 building in finance profit for the dealer? Isn't the current lease deal rate 0.001? I believe this is adds about $30/month
    - I believe they are making $200 on the acquisition fee of $825, does that sound right?
    - I believe the $600 security deposit is high. The BMW website shows $450 for the prototype "lease deal" vehicle. Is the difference profit?
    - Mycalculations suggest paying a $450 security deposit vs. increasing the money factor by 0.00015 is a wash on this monthly payment. Is there a preferred option?

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
    - Is the money factor of 0.0014 building in finance profit for the dealer? Isn't the current lease deal rate 0.001? I believe this is adds about $30/month

You are correct..

- I believe they are making $200 on the acquisition fee of $825, does that sound right?

Correct, again

- I believe the $600 security deposit is high. The BMW website shows $450 for the prototype "lease deal" vehicle. Is the difference profit?

Security deposit is always rounded up to the next higher $50 interval.. It should be $550 in this case.

- Mycalculations suggest paying a $450 security deposit vs. increasing the money factor by 0.00015 is a wash on this monthly payment. Is there a preferred option?

Make the security deposit... your calculations didn't take into account that you get the deposit returned to you at the end of the lease.

Is sales tax in Maryland applied to the entire selling price of the vehicle? I've seen that in VA, TX, IL... didn't know they did that in MD also.. You can have them roll that tax into your cap cost and add it into the monthly payment, rather than pay it all upfront.. You can do the same with the acquisition fee, as well. I wouldn't want to pay nearly $5K upfront to rent a car by the month..

Of course, your monthly payment will be higher, but overall, the cost will be the same..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Price looks good...

Acquisition is the base fee... good.

Doc fee.... small.. extra profit.. coupled with sale price... no big deal..

Money factor.... marked up... if you weren't making a security deposit, this would be the base rate... but, since you are, the base rate should be .0010

Given all that, I get a payment of $538/mo, not $550... but, I might be a little off on the tax calculation... The money factor bump adds about $12/month.. You may be able to get another $20/mo. off the price, given all that... But, you have a pretty decent deal, as is..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Given those parameters... I get $548/mo.+ tax... Is tax $51/mo? I guess close to it in NY... but, looks like maybe $5/mo extra thrown in there...

Compared to the other recent deals on the board, you might be paying $500 more... But, if you are getting the base rate, the deal looks okay.. You are right about the acquisition fee... if the dealer is giving back the $200, then you have a decent deal...

I don't think NAV has anything to do with it... On BMWs they don't affect residual... I would think they might discount it a little more, as it is an $1800 option that some people wouldn't want to pay for..

If you found the exact car you want, you might try to get another $10-$15 knocked off the payment, but if not, I'd be happy with your deal...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I found it at JMK .. Only one car left though, still available when I last checked yesterday.

I also found the circle bmw to be very friendly and nice. Big no for Open road or Difeo.
  • dreamlanddreamland Member Posts: 7
    Please, I need some input from one more versed than I. kyfdx, I have read your insight and will appreciate your comments.

Sat this afternoon with dealer and then with finance person.

this is what I have before me,

X5 4.4 with Premium pkg, sport pkg, 19"" wheels, and rear climate pkg.

MSRP 58945, cap cost 57445 including the 695 acquuisition fee. 39 mos with 62% residual.

they tell me the MF is at .00115 giving me a $665mo pmt with 1400 inception which includes 1st month payment.

the way they play with the numbers I am not really sure what I am getting.

Please help, your comments will be invaluable.

Robert
    Using your figures, I get $644/mo.+ tax...

A couple of things...

1) The base acquisition fee is $625, not $695..

2) The base money factor is .00075... It appears they are marking up your money factor the maximum allowed.. .0004 This raises your payment by about $37/mo.+tax...

I haven't seen enough prices on the 4.4 model to know if $2100 off MSRP is a good deal.. you will have to decide that for yourself, but you should ask for the base money factor..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks kyfdx.

I forgot to add, they added an $825 bank fee that they said is standard. I asked it be removed, they declined. It is the first dealer I have approached and it seems I should check around. Oh yeah, on the money factor, they gave me a spiel that the base MF was applicable to loyalty customers returning a BMW. The fact that I am into the 13th month of an X3 lease through BMW financial or own an 01 X5 is not considered LOYALTY.

I guess a ride in a 3.0 should be included in my plans. Especially with fuel prices where they are going.

Can anyone suggest any SE US dealers that deal straight up?

Any and all input will be appreciated.

thanks again kyfdx.

appreciative,

Robert
    Okay.... the $695 must be the destination charge...

All leases get a bank fee (aka acquisition fee).. However, BMWFS acq.fee is $625. They are marking up the bank fee, as well as the money factor..

The loyalty thing... I've heard that BS before... It has nothing to do with it. Everyone with acceptable credit qualifies for the base rates.. Anything over the base rate is just additional profit for the dealer.

So, between the marked up acq.fee and the marked up money factor, they were hitting you for over $1600 extra...

I wouldn't start shopping around too much yet... Just go back to them and tell them they have a deal... if they drop the price by $40/mo... You never know how low they will go, until they let you walk away..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,

You are giving people on this board a great service. Here is the offer I received from a local BMW dealer here in Northern VA.

$550 a month for 39 months
    12 K mileage
    Upfront costs:
    3% VA TAX on the sale price
    DMV fees
    $600 security deposit
    DOC fee of $299
    First months payment
    Upfront costs are based on a sale price of $47870 (MSRP is $49370)

What do you think?

My friend bought a 05 Acura MDX (Touring PKG with NAVI) MSRP $42,475.

$499.99 a month for 36 months
    12K miles
    0.15 for additional mileage
    Upfront costs of $2624.99 which includes the following:
    3% VA Tax($1225.50)
    DMV fees of $55.50
    first months payment of $499.99
    Acquisition fee of $595
    DOC fee of $249

Based on my calculation he got an "ok" deal.
    what do you think?
    Thanks
    Your deal:

They are using the base money factor and base acquisition fee.... that is good.. the numbers all compute..

But, only a $1500 discount along with a $300 doc fee, means you are only getting $1200 off MSRP.. Most of the deals reported on this board are at least $800-$1500 lower than that.. A selling price of $800 less, would knock $21/mo. off the payment..

Your friend's deal on the MDX looks "okay".. I don't have the lease numbers for that model, but Acuras are usually not the best lease deals... I think he did all right..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx...
  • plintonplinton Member Posts: 3
    Thanks kyfdx.

I talked with the salesperson and the Finance by phone. They asked me to come in to discuss. Meanwhile, I've solicited other prices from dealers in the DC Metro area. I'll have a few numbers to shop against before proceeding.

Regards
    I just spoke with a local socal dealer and she told me there is no 39 month lease deal, that it is 36 months. Is this true? Thanks kyfdx!
    Thanks kyfdx.

You have been very helpful.

:)
    Read back over the last three pages of posts here... All posted this month..

And.. read what lease terms everyone is quoting.... Skip my posts... just read the others.. How long are their leases for?

Then, you can decide for yourself... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shs1shs1 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in atuto, navigation, fold-down backseat and premium pacakge. I am lookign for 36 mo lease with 12k a year. Do you knwo who offers good deals around NJ (or PA or NY?) I have one quote for $3,700 down and $612 a month.

Also, any other options i should get? What exterior and interior color is good? Thanks.
  • shs1shs1 Member Posts: 2
    sounds good to me but I just started. I am also in NJ - where is your dealer? Thanks.
  • mkerseymkersey Member Posts: 1
    Hi kyfdx,

Here's what I'm looking at:

$67,680 MSRP
    $64,000 purchase price
    $4000 out of pocket (cap cost reduction + 1st pmt and other fees)
    .00115 money factor
    $41,962 residual (62%)
    $693 monthly payment for 39 months at 10K miles (includes CA sales tax)

I told the salesguy I wanted the standard 4.4i money factor of .00075 but when he called me back after checking he said that this was the best deal they could do. I think it's a good deal on a nice X5, but still believe I could do better on the MF.

Thoughts? And what difference in the payment would .00075 make vs. .00115?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • tagstags Member Posts: 3
    Hi kyfdx and many others,
    Many of your post are advising how to get a good deal from lease, but I am planning to buy a X5 and to be paid in full, would like to have some knowlegde and advices on cash buy and how to negociate with the dealer before I head south. How much above the invoice price should I pay (or below the MRSP) would consider a good deal? Is there any other things to aware when buying with cash?

I want to purchase this car in Seattle Area, or Oregon, or California where ever is cheaper,
    2005 X5 4.4i / Premium PKG/ Sport PKG / Rear Door Mounted Airbags (possibly Rear Climate PKG / Adjustble Ride Height /Premium Audio)

Should I ask for some freebies upgrades or a big discount in the end?

Any advice will be very helpful to me and very much appricated, thank you,
    Tags
    Thanks for your insight.

I was supposed to get back to the dealer Friday but had a surprise hurricane hit our local area.

Will post to the board if and when deal happens.

The toughest part of shopping is assessing the dealer honesty, your input helps with that part of it. Too bad there is no hassle free way.

appreciative,

Dreaming of a real deal.
    On your deal... the difference is about $45/mo.. Base acq.fee is $625.. If they are bumping the money factor, they are likely marking that up by $200 also...

Nice discount off of MSRP, though... But, you'd be better off if they raised the selling price by $1000 and used the base rates...

The dealer doesn't get all of the money that goes to the finance company for the bumped-up rates... You might sit down with the finance guy.. tell him you are semi-satisfied, but ask him to figure what selling price would net him the same profit, assuming he uses the base rates... The two of you might be able to figure out a way for them to make the same amount of money, but get you a lower payment...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Look at post #410, just above yours... We don't have a lot of anecdotal evidence of selling prices on the 4.4 model, but his selling price looks like a pretty good deal, to me...

As far as freebies.. they are useless, unless you really want them.. If there is any accessory that you really want, let them know upfront, and make sure it is included in any price negotiation... Then, go for the biggest discount possible.

Know the invoice price, but never mention it... Don't let your negotiations focus on dealer cost... The dealer knows his true cost, and you don't.... discussing it just allows him to take the focus away from your ultimate goal.. to pay the least amount possible for the vehicle you want.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How much over invoice should I pay for an 05 X5 right now?