Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    If you're ordering an X5, then it would be a 2006.... and there is no extra money for the 06 model, only the 05 (and you can't order those anymore).
  • emissionemission Member Posts: 3
    Yes, ordering an '06....

But, now the remaining '05's on lots have just grabbed my attention. I need my dealer to do a locate and let me know what inventory is out there!
  • rameterrameter Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote from a dealer here on an 05 3.0. Any advice? I think it's a pretty good deal but would really like a 4.4 over the 3.0. Here's what he emailed:

O5 3.0 litre:

VEHICLE: 2005 BMW X5 3.0i COLOR: Sterling Gray UPHOLSTERY: Gray Dakota
    Leather

Code Description MSRP
    Base Price 41,700
    0205 Steptronic 5-Speed Automatic Transmission 1,275
    0ZCW Cold Weather Package 750
    0ZPP Premium Package 3,400
    0ZRC Rear Climate Package 600
    0ZSP Sports Package 2,500
    0522 Xenon Headlights 800
    Destination and Handling 695
    TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $51,720
    SELLING PRICE $45,245

lease at 0 Down (drive off's only) 36 @ 679.92 + tax

Any advice?
  • tpjcourtneytpjcourtney Member Posts: 34
    selling price is too high. I just got offered an 06 for 1800 off and that was low. With BMW giving 5k you are getting just under 1500 from your dealer. They ought to be giving up at least 2k of their own money for an 05 imo.
  • ladiladi Member Posts: 11
    I am starting negotiations for an X5 with Auto,rear climate, nav,prem hi-fi, prem, cold weather, xenon headlights. Asking price is $35,900, mileage is 30,909 for a 2002. I would love to be out the door with $31,749 as my bottomline. Too low? Please someone help. I do not want to insult but I don't want to get robbed. Should I put down a good down payment?

Thanks.
  • suv800suv800 Member Posts: 41
    First,
    For that kind of money, I would go for a new one. As you know, BMW X5 starts to have problems at 50000 miles, especially the transmission. Now, the mileage almost 32000, maybe the warranty still good for another few months. I think your target price would be $27000.
    If you ask anyone, they would tell you whatever the msrp divide by 2. that's after 3 years driving.
    Thanks for the response. I am told that the car is still under warranty and it also comes with an ext warranty. 2 additional yrs/100k miles. He said it has 4 brand new tires and new brakes. He is quoting a price of $34k now. Does the warranty make any difference now? Still think it is too much?
    Does anyone no if BMW will do away with cassette as a standard or mandatory if you get nav in the X5.

Also, does anyone know what the maximum mileage you should go for on a CPO 2002 X5, even with a warranty?

Thanks everyone.
    BMW hasn't had cassette players in any of their vehicles for a few years now....
    Yeah...on the X5's. If you opt for the navigation, you cannot have in-dash cd. You can get the cd changer installed in the back but it does come with a cassette. I witnessed it with my own eyes. Hopefully the new '07's will update that outdated feature.
  • merckymercky Member Posts: 15
    he is right. if you opt for the nav, you get cassette in the dash.
    someone told me they could not fit the cd player and the nav together in the dash.
    hopefully will be fixed in 07.bmw nav sucks anyway.
  • flgirl1flgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I am new to this buying\leasing a car thing. I went to the BMW dealer here yesterday just to check things out. The salesman was offering me the x5 3.0, msrp around 48,000, basically just the x5 with no prem. pkg, but with a sunroof. The lease was going to be for 36 months, 10 k/yr, 2200 DOD and payments of 618. I dont know anything about these numbers that are discussed on here. Can someone help to educate me on how to get a better deal?? Thanks in advance!!
  • vraovrao Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I am negotiating 2002 X5 from BMW dealer. It has Pre pkg, Cold weather, Xenon, Pre sound, 34150 miles asking price is 30600 plus tax. The BMW Maint program has expired, but it has factory warranty upto 09/16/06 and CPO upto 09/16/08 with 100K miles.
    Is this a good price? Dealer is asking $2000 for 3rd party warranty which covers upto 7yrs/100k miles. Is it recommended to purchase 3rd party warranty? If I buy 3rd party wararanty, the total price incl tax would be $35000. Is it a good price? Is there anything I need to worry?
    If it's CPO, then what do you get extra for the 3rd party warranty? More coverage? The CPO is only powertrain... "big-ticket" items.... Does the 3rd party cover a lot more (accessories, radio, buttons, electrical, etc)?
    And the purchase price... yeah, that is a decent price (KBB shows over $34k). It has pretty low miles and it's CPO.... Plus you get the 2.9% CPO rate. :)
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I noticed that you all here saythat there is a 5k incentive on the 05 X5's. However when I did a check here, in the incentive and rebate section, there was no incentive. If there is, it's hard to locate an 05 X5 now.
  • heavydheavyd Member Posts: 6
    I am gettting:

2005 X5 with 13K miles
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Xeon headlight
    Moonroof

Price is $42,500 plus tax/fee

Is this a good deal?
  • heavydheavyd Member Posts: 6
    By the way, the X5 above is 3.0
  • estlupumestlupum Member Posts: 1
    Hello: Can anyone tell me if the $5,000 cash to dealer incentive is still available for 2005 X5 3.0's? My wife drives a convertible 325ci, but wants a new X5. In Louisiana, I see that there are still a good many 2005's on on the lots and I'd rather buy an 05 than an 06 if this incentive is still around.
  • chester01chester01 Member Posts: 9
    Dealer giving me a 2006 x5 4.4 with everything but DVD entertainment msrp 63280 with 1800 down 36 month lease 740 a month and also taking my 2003 540 w/ sport package with 6 payments left with no penalty. Wondering if anyone could comment?
  • sequoiamansequoiaman Member Posts: 12
    Could be a sweet deal but depends on what you mean by "everything". Everything would include Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Climate, NAV, 6 disc CD, Heated Rear seats, Heated Steering wheel, Premium Hi-Fi and Comfort Seats?

At this price I assume your deal is from an East coast dealer.
    sequoiaman,

Yes, I ordered all that and also the sport package therefore will not have the comfort seats. Yes, New Jersey.
    Thanks!
    chester01,

It sounds like a great deal. I am negotiating to lease two x5 4.4's for my businesss with "everything" excluding sport package, DVD and comfort seats. So far the best I have been able to get is $760/mo on a 36 month lease with 12000 miles/annum. My up front expenses are approx $1600

I am located in NY and have spoken with NY and CT dealers. NJ dealers are very aggressive. Which NJ dealer are you working with.
    sequoiaman,
    Flemington
    I guess yours is a good deal too, I don't know what your msrp was mine was 63,280 My upfront expenses are 1,800 and mine is 20 dollars cheaper probably because I have 10,000 miles per year. I didn't know you could get the comfort seats with a sports package
    Chester01, My deal is approx 63590 MSRP, which is odd because it is more than yours and does not include the sport package. My negotiated price (which is utilized to determine the lease rate) is approx $58,100 which is very close to invoice so I think I have a good deal. I believe the MSRP only applies to your residual value.

Regarding the comfort seats, I think the sport package includes a version of the comfort seat so you are in good shape.

Your monthly lease rate seems very cheap so I am guessing the dealer has the car in stock and is giving you a very good deal.

Good luck.
    Actually we ordered our 2006 this week and will take 4-5 weeks to get in just so no confusion has retractable cargo floor, sport package, premium cold weather, rear climate, navigation, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and premium sound
    I'm glad to hear someone thinks it is a very good monthly lease price, I hate being taken for a ride
    Good luck to you also
  • piramidpiramid Member Posts: 4
    Hello all

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Lease for a X5 3.0 I would like to know if I have negotiated this thing well.
    MSRP $50520
    I have gotten this down to 1905 @ Delivery Including First Lease Payment / Security Deposit / Tax and License fees ..
    35 Payment to follow @ 594.10 + 6% Tax for a monthly of $629.75
    What More would I need to tell you to analyze this ??
    Thanks

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    Hello
    I realized my typo on the Title
    I forgot to include that MSRP Included 695 Destination & 7325 Options
    The paperwork says lease rate .0010 but with all these numbers and dealer expertise..
    I still have questions about this price.
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    What is the mileage allowance? Is this a 2006 model?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Milage allowance is 12K per Year
    discounted price ended up being $47654.41 at least that is what the paper said.
    Thanks
    It looks pretty good.. when I do the calculations, I come within a few dollars of the figures they gave you.. and you are getting the base rates..

The discount is nearly $3K off of MSRP, so that looks good as well..

If this is the car you want, I see no reason not to grab this deal...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tiggertrantiggertran Member Posts: 1
    With Premium pkg, Sport pkg, 19" wheels. Dealer quoted price: $58,000 + Tax and registration.
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national paper would like to hear from consumers who are back looking at SUVs with the drop in fuel prices. If you have a story to share about how you had put your search on hold, but are now looking at SUVs again, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence, and the make/model(s) that you are looking for no later than Wednesday, November 9, 2005

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bodhi2bodhi2 Member Posts: 5
    What were the options that you had for the bmw x5 3.0. Thanks
    Premium Package
    Cold weather
    Rear Heat & Air
    Adaptive Zenon Headlights
    Automatic
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Leather Black
    MSRP Including Destination
    $50,520.00
  • stevem87stevem87 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if there are some newly available dealer incentives on the 2006 X5 4.4i? Suddenly I am getting much better offers on discounts from the dealers I have been working with.

Thanks in advance.
    Nope... no incentives. BMW doesn't do incentives unless it's the end of a model year and it's not selling fast enough...
  • timartimar Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer has an X5 with premium, cold weather,rear climate, xenon. It has ~4000 miles on it. How much off the new sticker price for those few miles? How much does a BMW lose in value once it is off the lot? If I buy a brand new 2005, will the dealer still get the 6000 incentive?

Thanks
  • am05am05 Member Posts: 2
    I have read many posts about the results of negotiations with dealers for new and used BMWs, but I have not read any that give specific advice on how to achieve the same. I found a car that I want (330Ci 2dr Coupe) and I am ready to begin the battle for lowest price.

Since the dealers mainly consider four elements in the selling process, 1)Price, 2)Trade-In, 3)Down Payment and 4)Monthly Payment, I am considering financing the deal so the dealer will give me a lower Price or higher Trade-In based on planned profit from interest in the financing. I would then pay the entire balance in the first monthly payment.

I am wondering if anyone else has any advice or experience on this. I am afraid that if I remove financing from the deal, I will be left with only 1)Price and 2)Trade-In to negotiate with and will not get as good a deal. Basically, I am planning on letting the dealer think he has money coming from interest on financing that I will take back.
    It seems you might be making this a little too hard...

If you want to pay cash for the car, by all means, go ahead and do it.. I find that dealers tend to make the best deals for people that they feel certain will consummate the deal, immediately.

Dealers do make money off of financing.. but, they don't get the interest from the loan.. When they write a loan for the bank, the bank pays them a small commission.. If the dealer writes the loan for a higher interest rate than the buyer would have otherwise qualified for, then the commission is bigger.

But most dealers, especially high-line dealers, are familiar with buyers coming in to pay cash for a car.. Any dealer is going to try and get the highest possible price for their car, but most salespeople and sales managers don't get paid off the finance office commissions... They are just as likely to make you the same deal, either way..

Now, if you were leasing, there are a whole bunch of other things to look out for...

Anyway.. back to the point.. Some dealers make a living out of confusing people with finance and monthly payment offers.. Don't introduce those factors into your negotiation if you don't have to... Shop around, and get the best cash price...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• am05am05 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice, you seem to have done this before. One more question;

What price do you use as the basis of defining a “good” deal? I have Invoice, MSRP and “What others are paying”. Since there seem to be no rebates or incentives for BMW, I guess I will shoot for invoice plus…
    If there aren't any incentives, then you'll be hard pressed to get any closer than $1000 over invoice on a BMW.. On an X5, with a spread of $4K between invoice and MSRP, you've got a decent deal if you are anywhere on the invoice side of half-way between the two numbers..

Ask them for a price first... and see where they start...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• homerjbhomerjb Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2006 4.4 X5. A local dealer offered $2000 off $60,245 for the following configuration:

2006 X5 4.4i
    Cold weather package
    Premium package
    Rear climate package
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Premium Hi Fi System
    18 or 19" wheels (not sure which one)

Question
    1. The MSRP says $60,245 - Is this accurate? How low should one ask for?

2. One of the other forums on this board has whole bunch of people crying out about the problems with X5 .. how common are these? This is my first BMW, and after investing $60K in a car, the last thing I want is regular trip to dealer!

3. Any other insights?

Thanks! Homer ..
  • tpjcourtneytpjcourtney Member Posts: 34
    To question #1, I believe each dealer is charged a fee for training/advertising called MACO??? on top of invoice. It was $300 when I bought our X5, but is different in other areas of the country. Besides that, everything else listed as invoice here, or on any other website, was correct. Obviously, the dealer could choose to absorb this cost, but don't count on it.
  • outra2lawoutra2law Member Posts: 4
    Hi, is it possible to get a X5 3.0 with no packages out there?
    will the msrp 42500 be my price?
    No packages with manual transmission?.... There are 0 in the entire country, including ones in production and in transit.

To get this vehicle, you would have to special order and probably give a L A R G E, non-refundable deposit... because the dealer does NOT want to get stuck with that. (And if you lease, he'll looove getting that back at lease turn-in... :P )
  • cmcfarlingcmcfarling Member Posts: 4
    I just leased a...

2006 X5 3.0i
    White/Truffle
    MSRP: $49370
    Cold weather pkg
    Premium pkg
    Rear climate pkg
    Auto trans
    Heated steering wheel
    24mo/10000mi

for $643/mo. Sales price was $46694. The deal included a $300 transport fee since they didn't have the car on the lot. The initial "deal" was $700/mo. I found a much better deal ($655/mo) at a dealership a couple hours away on a slightly better car (Xenon lights & diming mirrors). My local dealer finally came down to match that same rate to the car they had, which came out to $643/mo.

It pays to shop around!
  • mindfull1mindfull1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I've been "lurking" here during my research phase, and it's finally time to post! As my 1994 740iL is about to roll over 200k miles, I've been shopping committedly for a 2002-3 X5 for about a month now among dealerships, private parties, used car lots (yuck). I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have been shopping as far as Arizona, Oregon & Nevada.

The used car lots were quickly eliminated as an option. Prices, lack of car records & trust-factor took care of that. Private Parties offered better pricing and records, but warranties were often on their last miles or months. For me, warranty is critical, as my 740 has taught me well! (Since warranty expired eons ago, I've spent more on maintenance than the car cost me originally!) So the Dealership CPOs were the most attractive, but there was little room for negotiation. However, the warranty offered (generally 2 years +/-) was enticing.
    Just when I was about to purchase a Dealership CPO (02s and 03s ran $30-36k out the door, depending on mileage), I came across a private owner who had bought a Dealership Lease-return CPO in spring 2005 (8 months ago), and "got in over his head" on the loan. The car has the CPO warranty through Oct 2008/100k miles!

So here's what I've landed, and I think it's a fair deal. I hope the value-gurus here will agree!

2002 X5 3.0i
    • Mileage: 53k
    • BMW Certified/Extended Warranty
    • Interior Color: Black/Grey Sport Leather
    • Exterior Color: Steel Gray Metallic
    • Transmission: Automatic/Steptronic

• PREMIUM Package
    • SPORT Package
    • REAR CLIMATE Package
    • COLD WEATHER Package

Option Details:
    *PREMIUM Package has power glass moon roof, wood trim, 6-way power passenger seat, adjustable rear seat back, rain-sensing windshield wipers, front climate control, on-board computer, leather upholstery
    *SPORT Package has star spoke alloy wheels, M sport steering wheel, sport (self-leveling) suspension, anthracite headliner, sport seats (Leather)
    *REAR CLIMATE Package has rear door sunblinds, rear climate controls, privacy glass
    *COLD WEATHER Package has heated front seats, headlight washers, ski bag

Description:
    EXCELLENT Condition- Clean CarFax reflects lease, then CPO.

I got the above for $24,500, including the factory warranty (original extended) through Oct 2008/100k. I'm a happy camper, I hope justifiably so! Look forward to your input.

M1
  • h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

I am looking at buying a CPO and saw this vehicle at a dealer:

2004 X5 3.0i SAV - Price: $39,000

Mileage: 17,490

Titanium Silver Metallic
    Automatic

Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Xenon Headlights

I am completely new to BMW and CPO. Anything in particular I should look for? How do I negotiate on the CPO price? What would be a fare price for me to pay?

TIA
  • iliili Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am purchasing the above for $32,500 w 29300 miles. Is this a good price?
    Options: Leather, moonroof, xenon lights, 2 zone climate & wood trim. The "sticker" price was $36,000.
    Thanks so much for all your educated info @ Edmunds.com