Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bmwkrazebmwkraze Member Posts: 4
    I am getting my car in 2 days so excited!!! it took around 6 weeks to arrive!! Question, does anyone know the details concerning ipods and the new x5. i think its wires for an ipod i just need a cord, what cord is this??
  • vchugo007vchugo007 Member Posts: 7
    Wow ... that is a great deal! What approach did you take to get this deal?

I'm in the tri-state NY area and no one seems to be willing to go below $1,000 below MSRP.
  • gsvipulgsvipul Member Posts: 14
    Hi Suntrojan, Can you please provide the options you had on your X5 and what was the total cost you paid along with the dealer info. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
  • msjjmsjj Member Posts: 4
    I got my 2007 X5 about a month ago and I asked same question to my dealer. I guess the integrated ipod link (to control from your screen) will cost around $250. Or you can simply buy a cord at radio shack which you will have to control through your ipod itself.
  • msjjmsjj Member Posts: 4
    Did you guys get your headphones with your car when you ordered your rear entertainment set? I've been waiting for them for 1 month now and not sure what's going on... Did you get it with the car or did you get it in mail?
    We are looking to get a 3.0si with the premium package, technology package and heated seats.

Can anyone share what price they got and which location in the NJ/NY area?

Also, are running boards and the automatic tailgate option worthwhile?
  • suntrojansuntrojan Member Posts: 4
    Approach:Always speak to the Internet Manager as they get paid a set commission rather than the typical sales guy/gal who will try to mark it up as much as possible.

Other than that, dont give it to their tactics and be firm.
    in terms of options, i custom ordered because I didnt all the stuff included in the 10 they had. with my options and base...i basically paid 1200 over invoice..the invoice price and retail price of the options are basically the same (not that big of a difference). I dealt with the internet managers at irvine bmw in irvine,ca. you always want to deal with the internet guys...
  • xyzjack69xyzjack69 Member Posts: 2
    Got a black/black 3.0 with Sports, Premium, Tech, Premium Sound, Comfort, 3rd row, Rear Climate for $59,945. Got them to knock off $300 for the 6yr/100k extended maintenance and $100 off of teflon coating for the paint. 3rd row is ridiculously cramped but novel for unsuspecting friends. Don't let anyone fool ya, the lease options are horrible right now and since about 90% of the people lease, those who are purchasing are few. That should allow for good room to negotiate till Feb when I'm told BMW MAY come out with better lease incentives.
  • jalexismdjalexismd Member Posts: 2
    Got my X5 5 days ago, dealer was no help with IPOD info, tried to use a cord and IPOD and no music could be heard through the aux input. Dealer insisting that there will be an integration kit out at some point this year though. Has anyone else had any luck with the cord?
  • jalexismdjalexismd Member Posts: 2
    Dealer is clueless, just purchased a 3.5 mm cord at target for 4.99 and it works just fine. Just have to use the ipod to navigate. Will be nice when the integration kit is ready though.
  • rkrostinrkrostin Member Posts: 2
    Oh boy am I excited! I live in Arizona and the dealer in North Scottsdale was able to give just over $2600 under list price for our new X5. We originally were working through our Credit Union who had a guy search the whole country for fleet pricing and deals and he was coming up with about $51,400 but would take 2 months to get it.
    Talked to the guy we were working with on the test drive and had several conversations as well back and forth with quetsions and said here are the specs, my credit union is able to get it for around 51,000 what can you do. He came back with $50,800. MSRP = $53,445

X5 3.0si
    Alpine White Exterior
    Sand Beige W/ Nevada Leather
    Light Poplar Wood Trim
    Premium Package
    3rd row seats
    Multi-contour Seats with Lumbar Support.

Wonderful experience and just amazing staff there as well !
    Thanks to suntrojan, xyzjack69 and rkrostin for their info.

However, it seems the dealers in the tri-state NY/NJ area that I've spoken to are not willing to go below $1000 off MSRP. They apparently have sufficient orders at the moment, such that they don't need my business.

I was in Jackson, MS, for a business trip and they were only willing to offer free transportation from their dealership to my home in NJ. They indicated that such transportation cost could top $1,200.

So, even if I get $2,600 off MSRP, the charge for shipping from AZ or CA would like cost 1,200 anyway.

Is there anyone who can point me to a dealer in the NY/NJ area that would offer $2,000 of MSRP with the premium and technology package and the heated front seats as an option?

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
    is this what they are telling you verbally or are you actually sitting down with the internet manager? sure they will say stuff like that in passing but if you sit down and negotiate for a couple of hours in front of an internet manager, they may help you. sell them that they are trying to sell a "UNIT". Go to a bigger dealership where they can make a little less but yet have a big quota. If they can move one more UNIT out the door, they will. Go at the end of the month as they want to hit their units. Internet managers are paid the same commission no matter how much over or under msrp so work with them. Good luck.
    Suntrojan -- We actually sat down with the internet manager at one of the two Manhattan (NY) dealerships last week (which was kind of at the end of the month), which he claims is the largest dealership in NY and NJ. He wouldn't budge from his position (of only $1,000 off MSRP), since he said that he only had one slot left in his "quota" for the current production cycle and didn't feel like he needed to give it to me for the price we wanted (which was not even $2,000 off MSRP!) ... other salespeople (not internet managers) at two other dealerships mentioned the same figure, and didn't seem like they were prepared to take more off either. Not sure what you mean by the fact that -- they are trying to sell me a "unit" though. We will continue to try other dealerships/internet managers in the meantime, but we have basically told the dealers that we've met personally that we are ready to buy if they hit our price (which is less than $2,000 of MSRP). No call backs yet to date.

Thanks for your suggestions -- too bad I can't drag you along with us when we shop!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    You can't go by the dealerships in Manhattan. People walk in and just pick out the car they want and don't care too much about the price. I have a friend who works at the Lexus dealship across the street and I'm amazed at the stories she tells me.

About 3 years ago when looking for an '04 X5 for my Dad, I was living in the city and actually started my negotiations there. The salesman (or client advisor whatever they're called) was very informed and willing to deal on in stock units (of course the new X5 is still very NEW). When I mentioned we wanted the Sports Package, he immediately discouraged me from buying it because he said "it doesn't drive well in the snow." I called him out on it and asked if he was also discouraging me because it wasn't an in stock unit. He reluctantly agreed and told me it would take a lot of time to "special order" an X5 with the Sports PAckage. Well, he wasn't lying. We did have to special order an X5 3.0iA with Sports Package (from another dealership closer to my parents' home in Rockland County). Since the X5 is built right here in the USA, it took a whole 2 weeks. The build date on my Dad's truck is 2/04 & he took delivery on 2/14/04.

He's got about 6 months left on his lease and well over 62,000 (trouble-free) miles and loves it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jay71jay71 Member Posts: 6
    Hello:

I have the chance to buy out a lease on a BMW 4.4i X5 for $29,000 (plus sales tax).

It is in very very good condition, one owner. 32k miles, no dings/scratches. It does not have the premium package ( standard cd player and speakers)

It does have the winter package. I cannot think of any other info to post in asking for help.

The nearest BMW dealer has a similar BMW x5 on their lot for $35,995 (silver, with 40k miles and premium/navigation package)

Can anyone offer insight as to this being a good, bad or break even type of deal?

Thanks in advance.

-Jay
  • studrewstudrew Member Posts: 1
    Just got an 07 X5 from Concord BMW in NoCal... got 2k off pretty easily from the internet sales. Probably could have got more if I tried... Good luck
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    I'm considering a 2007 X5 3.0, base model black/black, leather and heated seats only. MSRP around $49k. Anyone know what it is really worth? I' m thinking $45k. I see a lot of them on the lot but none on the road.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    It's because their leases are so terrible so they can't get rid of them if a consumer wants to lease, which comprises the majority of the purchasers.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    I was told my a local dealer in Southern CA that BMW released new rates. According to dealer for an X5 4.8.. MSRP of 60k., Residual at 61%, Money factor at .00210, Dowpayment including 1st month's payment at 5k... dealer said for 36 month lease with 10k miles per yr., lease would be approx. $740 per month plus tax.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I am thinking of trading in my 2004 Lexus LS430 (rear wheel drive) for an X5 to go in the Pittsburgh snow. I am worried about quality. The Lexus is flawless. Will I get the same "don't even have to think about it" experience with a Bimmer? From what I read of the quality reports BMW is not anywhere near the Japanese.

I am not bashing BMW, but am wondering about this legitmate concern.
    While I can't speak for the current (new) X5, I can tell you that my Dad currently leases an '04 X5 3.0iA. He's had it for a little over 3 years and his lease is up in August. With over 63,000 miles It has only been to the dealer 4 times: 18,000 miles for the first oil change(included in full maintenance), 37,000 miles for Inspection I (major service...included in full maintenance), 50,000 for 3rd oil change, replace front brake pads & rotors, (included in full maintenance) and a rear hatch latch that wouldn't close properly, 60,000 miles for new rear brake rotors & a half a quart of oil... He's due for Inspection II (major service) in about a month. It has been a flawless vehicle and lots of fun to drive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• studentdocstudentdoc Member Posts: 1
    got it also around $2600 off in southern california. If you're in southern cali and need my dealer's info, let me know.
  • krburrellkrburrell Member Posts: 2
    I'm in southern cali and would like to know your dealer's info. Check my profile and get my email address.
  • gatorfan5gatorfan5 Member Posts: 3
    I'm advised by my dealership the trailer hitch kit for the 2007 BMW X5 has some "technical issues" left to be resolved and no release date has been announced despite the fact over a thousand people have ordered them across the country. I'm not sure what you do if you want to pull your boat with this vehicle.
  • atsoundatsound Member Posts: 1
    Hi krburrell,

Could you tell me which dealership gave you $2600 off MSRP? That is such a awesome deal.
    Any information could be helpful.
    Thanks
  • blazinginderblazinginder Member Posts: 65
    Did any dealers near NJ offer $2000 off or near that...I'm looking to get a black/black 3.0si with sport pkg, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, rear climate pkg, parktronic, and running boards with MSRP $56xxx and they're only willing to give a $1200 discount on it.

But on a black/black 3.0si with only premium, cold weather and running boards...MSRP 51xxx they're willing to go $1800 off MSRP...

How can I get them to give me the $1800 discount on the $56k version ?
  • rsingletonrsingleton Member Posts: 19
    Hey all,

Can you tell me if this is a good deal that I got. It's my first BMW.

I just leased a X5 3.0 with Technology, Premium, Cold weather Rear climate packages MSRP 54,925

3 yr lease
    15K miles
    $2,500 down (includes first month payment)
    Monthly payments $868

Thanks
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    BMW North America told me that the cable to connect and control an iPod will be available in late April this year. If you have the technology package with iDrive, a software update from the dealer will allow you to fully control your iPod using the iDrive entertainment screen.

Until then, I'll try the 3.5mm cord suggestion. Good suggestion, thanks!
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the rebates offered by the BMW Car Club ( http://www.bmwcca.org/MembershipRewards ). Car Club members are eligible for rebates on BMW vehicle purchases if you've been a member for 1 year before you buy the car. A $45 membership fee could get you up to $1,500 rebate depending on the model.

This doesn't help if you're going to buy one tomorrow, but if a BMW is in your future, a car club membership is a cheap way to get a rebate in addition to other incentives and promotions.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Good post!!

It works... I collected $500 on our last 3-series purchase... :D

BTW, the money comes from BMW NA..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

you also get ROUNDEL, a great magazine to boot!

• kalbo607kalbo607 Member Posts: 12
    I am planning to get an X5 very soon, does anyone know of any deals being offered at this time?

Thanks
  • pantaleonepantaleone Member Posts: 9
    I was looking for some additional perspectives on this question. My wife and I are leasing an 07 X3 and 05 X5. We are violating all common sense laws regarding cars (not an investment, do not lease new because of high depreciation, do not get emotionally involved, etc.), but this is one emotional indulgence we have (expensive one too!).

But we are very emtionally tied to these vehicles. We have a passion for them. At the end of the leases we were thinking of financing to buy. From a common sense standpoint we are taking 7-8 years to pay these vehicles off, then what will we have? Another 3-4 years of no payments but costly maintenance? If we release every 3-4 years with little of no money down, we get new car every 3-4 years, no maintenace, but knowing that you will always have car payments with little maintenance outlays.

Does anyone have any advice from experience that could provide us with more information?

Thank you!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    My advice.. regarding BMWs:

Lease, then lease again.. Just be flexible on the model you want... There is almost always a BMW model that has great lease deals on it.

With the included maintenance, you'll never have to pay for anything extra, except tires..

I'd guess that you'd have to buy and drive your off-lease BMW for 5 more years, at least, to come out ahead of continuing to lease new models, and I'm not sure that would even work..

Please note.. this advice only applied to BMWs.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• raodenraoden Member Posts: 19
    Can some people in the NJ Area post what is the best price they have gotten for the BMW X5. Edmunds TMV price is just $500 less than the MSRP. Is this the lowest price that people are getting in the NJ area? I did see some earlier posts from people that they have got 1K off the MSRP. Can people post the latest deals that they are getting. Thx
  • sheikh37sheikh37 Member Posts: 7
    I paid 1000 over invoice for a car I ordered per my specifications here in Pittsburgh..leased per bmwfs current rates for X-5's..If you need a dealer contact let me know....the guys I dealt with per professional with no games...
    Sheikh37 thanks for your response. Good to know people are getting these numbers. Was this for a X5 3.0 or X5 4.8?
    I have done the test drives and compared it to other vehicles. I have decided on getting X5 3.0. I am going to start talking with dealers, some time next week. Wanted to get some info before I talk with the salesmen. Please let me know which dealer you worked with, If nobody is ready to meet this price in NJ I will drive 5 hours to Pittsburgh.
    Also did you talk to the internet sales dept? or did you talk face to face?
  • golfpro3golfpro3 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for 2007 X5 WITH FOLLOWING FEATURES:

Premium Package
    Comfort Package
    Heated Front/Rear Seats
    Running Board
    IPOD Adaptor

What should I expect to Pay for the purchase?
    I got a 3.0 with premium, cold weather, technology,rear climate, heated rear seats, running boards and third row seats...I actually e mailed all the sales managers in the dealerships in my area...not internet or sales people....only sales managers(got the e mails off their websites) all of them gave me good offers....around 1500 over invoice...this guy I had set up a meeting from before so when I went I said 1000 over and told him about the offers..he didnt argue said fine...so I didnt bother calling up the rest to haggle as it was good enough for me....maybe I could have saved a few hundred more on MACO etc.....he did not try to mark up the money factor or the aquisition so everything was very straightfroward from what I can see....plus nice guys to deal with....I can let them know if u are interested....it was Paul Rahal at Bobby Rahal bmw of south hills....tell him Dr Ali said good things...I was initially willing to drive way more to get a good deal but these guys agreed so I lucked out...5 hours isn't a bad drive....
    Thanks again for the info. I am going to start by asking the sales managers in the NJ area. I will post the prices that I am getting.
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    I'd like to know your dealer contact. I am in Atlanta but I can order a vehicle & pick it up in SC if the price is right.

thanks
    I am coming off a 39m lease on an X5 4.4 with sport. the list on my current vehicle was approx $64K when leased. A comparable new one lists at approx 10 grand more. My question to all of you is what do you think of the 6cyl X5. If I order the 6 cylinder its about 10 grand less than the 4.8. I would have no hesitation if they offered the 3.5l twin turbo thats in the 335. I'm also going to look at the new Cayenne. I didn't like the Q7.
    please see my reply in message # 618
    Thank you. I will give them a call.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    The April issue of Roundel (BMWCCA club magazine) has comparison between X5 3.0 and Acura MDX, and X3 and RDX. It also has one on X5 4.8 and Q7. In X5 3.0 vs MDX article, the writer leaned towards MDX for handling, stereo and navigation. The article points out that MDX also costs 16k less, comparably equipped.

While the same author (I think) the extra 10k for X3 (against RDX) is worth every penny, MDX is the winner when compared to X5.
  • wooboswoobos Member Posts: 2
    Need to purchase an X5 4.8 in Florida. (sports pkg, Premium pkg, tech pkg). Pls. advice on what kind of discount I can expect and also which dealers to approach.

Thanks
    The cable to connect an iPod to the new X5 is now available at dealers. But there's a problem with it if you have an X5 that was built before March/April 2007.

BMW's cable uses a 3.5mm connector for sound and a USB connector to control the iPod with the car's entertainment functions (and it charges the iPod too.) If you have iDrive, you can get a software update to control the iPod through the iDrive. But if your X5 was an early production model, you probably don't have the USB port and therefore you can't control the iPod from the car. So look in the compartment under the armrest to see if you have both the USB port and the auxiliary input before you make a trip to the dealer.

You can use BMW's cable to get sound from the iPod using the 3.5 mm connector, but why pay $50 for BMW's cable when you can do the same thing with a $10 cable from any store like BestBuy? Then just use the iPod's controls for volume and music. It sounds just fine and you save $40 and a trip to the dealer.
  • ladyferrariladyferrari Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy my first car here and am wondering what a good price in this area is and if anyone has any suggestions. I want the premium pkg, tech pkg, heated front and rear seats and maybe sirius sat. radio. MSRP is 54,770 and invoice is 50,365. Thanks!