Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I'm not sure where you are that you don't see new X5s around. I live in NY and see them all over the place. We were able to get a good deal from the dealer ($1K over invoice, base mf...), but if the trucks are selling well, them why should BMW subsidize the leases? I have a friend who ordered an X5 last week (Fully loaded 4.8i) and the dealership (Westchester BMW, a BMWNA owned store) told him it wouldn't be in until December.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• x5man02111x5man02111 Member Posts: 2
    supposedly, every dealership I went to in the boston area told me that the x5's are selling extremely well and they cannot make enough of them. Usually u can only find one x5 on the lot and thats for demo only.
  • achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    It also seems that BMW X5 is losing sales to the ML from Mercedes and the MDX from Acura.
    The sales picture within the US over the last two months have shown a declining X5 sales, whilst the ML and the MDX continued to show improved sales figures.
    So I won't be surprised to see a very competitive sales effort from BMW.
    I also think part of the reason could be price differences amongst other things
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    Yes I agree. The 2008 Mercedes ML's are out and they drive pretty sweet not to mention prices/leases are much more attractive than X5's. The are clearly doing a good job pushing these sales. Although I am accumstomed to having BMW's for 10 years now, I must say I was impressed with the ML's performance as well as exterior style. Also, their standard seats in front and back rows were very comfy.
    2 weeks after my wife took delivery of her '07 X5 3.0si, my Dad got his '07 X5 3.0si (turning in his '04 X5 3.0iA)! Saphire Black Metallic/Black Leather with Sport Package, Premium Package, & Cold Weather Package.

He does a lot of driving. He took out a 30 month/50,000 mile lease (20K miles per year). With the base lease rate of .0023 and a $1000 over invoice price, his payment is about $930 per month. We got the base Acq. fee of $625 and didn't have to leave a security deposit because he's a returning BMWFS customer.

Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY gave us the great price and were really wonderful to work with. Our salesman happened to be a car nut and was very knowledgeable about the product.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My Dad looked at the ML before he drove the X5. MB is definitely subsidizing their leases with their "Summer of Love" sales event. The ML would have been cheaper to lease than the X5. We were blown away by how well the X5 drove. We drove it back to back with the ML350. We thought the X5 was tighter, faster, abd had much nicer fit and finish compared to the ML. The X5's interior materials seemed much higher quality. The ML was much roomier on the inside.

Another reason why the X5 might be losing sales to both the ML and MDX, at least for the 3.0i which is the biggest sales contributor is that it is weaker than the ML and MDX in terms of engine.X5 3.0<ML350<MDX

In terms of options, both the MDX and the ML has more standard options than the X5, and yet they cost less than the X5.

I think BMW needs to talk to do the following:
    1. Talk to their arrogant dealers to sit up.
    2. Fix the pricing or at least do something in the engine department.
    Yes I also like the drive of the X5 better than the ML. It's sportier, more snug, handles very well and the finishes are pretty sleek. But I would be willing to sacrifice this for a sporty lookling ML with a more affordable price tag. I'm sure that is why the sales have shot up on these ML's b/c of the attractive pricing.
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    the old ml suffered from fit and finish and the new one does as well. the mdx looks blatantly ugly, and the x5 retains similar exterior styling a stiffer asking price. given the other options the x5 is the best option by default
  • atlanta2laatlanta2la Member Posts: 1
    Here is my 2c. I&#146;ve got my x5 4.8 in May and I drove already close to 5k (I am consultant and have to drive to customers). It replaced my 2004 X5 that had just one issue - engine problem after 8 months. The problem was fixed in 4 days and I never had another problem with the car. My wife replaced her ML430 2001(this car had 3 problems in 6 years, two windows switch related and one power steering) with ML550 ten days ago. We&#146;ve got 1200 miles on it already - trip LA-SF-Napa-Sacramento-La. Both SUV&#146;s have minimum options and we are paying similar monthly fees (within $30 difference). X5 handles much better, especially high speed cornering. However, ML550 feels much quicker, roomier and even that leather not as good as x5&#146;s, seats are very comfortable during long trips. I like x5 engine sound, but ML550 definitely quieter inside. X5 brakes have better feel and outside has better finish (both SUV&#146;s are black). Inside, IMO, ML550 looks richer and more sophisticated. ML has more option for the money, but I like X5 outside look better.

If handling, specifically cornering, is important for you, get the X5. If not, ML could be a good choice too.
    Thanks for your 2c. A very interesting comparison between both vehicles.
  • ko56ko56 Member Posts: 2
    What is the pricing I should pay to buy a 2008 X5 3.0 with Cold weather package, premium package & technology package?
    What we don't know right now is the price of the 2008 X5 as BMW is yet to release it. So with this in mind, it will be hard to give an estimate on the price for the 2008, but my guess is it that it may attract about $300-$1000 premium over the 2007 model depending on how you option it.
  • ko56ko56 Member Posts: 2
    I was told that by BMW that the 2008 X5 will be the same price as the 2007. With the options mentioned above what should I be willing to pay for the X5 3.0?
    Something like $1500 above invoice will be reasonable.
  • sdhillsdhill Member Posts: 7
    Could you send my your dealership info please? You purchased/leased what I am looking for only I am wanting the entertainment pkg for the kids.

Thanks, S
    Can anyone tell me if they have seen an X5 with the auto lift on the back door?
    Can you believe that a dealership in NC told me that it was msrp only on the X5? Basically he told me that due to the demand for them he would only sell at msrp. And further stated that he was working with me as some dealerships were above msrp. :mad: Has anyone else had this said to them? Should I go to another dealership?
  • bergsbergs Member Posts: 4
    That's absurd. I live in Chicago and have received numerous offers $1500 over invoice. Don't pay MSRP...also, the power liftgate is available 11/1. If you need a few dealer names let me know...
    Please do send me names of dealers. I am in NC. Dealer just informed me that MSD was a "thing of the past". Not many people utilize this anymore. Is that so? Also, any feedback on this would be great!

This is the dealerships offer on the following:
    X5 4.8i
    cold weather package
    premium package
    premium sound package
    rear climate package
    technology package
    sport package
    running boards
    comfort access
    20" Y spoke wheels
    3rd row seats
    Sat Radio
    HD Radio
    entertainment package

To buy: $70,889 plus tax & tax
    To Lease: (based on selling price of $70,390) $1710.60 Down / $1193.54 month

Please give feedback. Am I getting "humped"??
    Thanks
    I'm in Chicago but went through Levin BMW in Schererville, IN.
    They gave me a quote of 2% above invoice which on a $73,000 MSRP saves you about $5,000 off MSRP. I assume you can have it delivered to NC or even pick it up in SC at the PCD...
  • ramysharaframysharaf Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. First I want to thank everyone who posts here. It was such help to educate myself before leasing my new X5. I just wanted to through my deal up here and see if I got a good deal or not so here we go:

2007 BMW X5 4.8i
    Active Vent Seat Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Sport Package (20" Wheels)
    Technology Package
    Active Steering
    Comfort Access System
    Running Boards
    Rear Manual Side Window Shades
    Heated Rear Seats
    Rear Seat Entertainment
    IPOD / USB Adapter
    Head Up Display

*Pretty much all the options with the exception of third row seating.

MSRP: 77275
    Negotiated Purchase Price: 73238.00
    36 Month Lease with 15,000 miles per year
    $1,130 Month
    Inception Fees:
    - $1130.00 First Month
    - $407.52 Cap Cost Reduction
    - $28.53 Sales Tax on Cap Cost Reduction
    - $1150.00 Security Deposit
    - $20.00 Title Fees
    - $239.50 Registration Fee
    - $625.00 Acquisition Fee
    - $256.50 NJ TIRE & RED/DOC FEE
    - $292.25 SUPP TITLING FEE

***Total at signing was $4150.00

So to recap $4150 at signing $1130 per month on 15k / 36 months. Did I get ripped off?????
  • madaaronmadaaron Member Posts: 12
    live in Dallas Fort worth area. Not sure where folks are getting $1500 or $2k over invoice? (is it cos it's a lease?). I bought mine but arranged for financing via my credit union (5.5% for 60 mths). Invoice for my 2008 was $58k but I paid $61k...could only get like $2k off MSRP. Almost no dealer was pricing based off of invoice (including Land Rover) so not sure if I'm missing something. The dealer was friendly and acutally recommended against some items I was considering and wasn't pushy. Could I have gotten more..who knows...its just a car and its not the last one I'm buying.
  • micwaymicway Member Posts: 1
    hi madaaron:

could you tell me what options come with your 2008 x5 4.8i?

thx.

mike
    sport package + 20 " wheels, ipod, running boards, napa leather and tech package. Moonroof is now standard.
  • 49ers49ers Member Posts: 12
    2007 or 2008?
    Do they charge document fee? Could you give me several dealer names?
    I ordered a 2008 model. Should be delivered by end of November. There were no doc fees...car, taxes, MACO and training fee (together these were $480). I think the tranfer of plates was an additional $140.

This was at Levin BMW in Schereville IN.
    You could also check Knauz in Lake Bluff IL or Elmhurst BMW in Elmhurst IL. They seem pretty open to discounts but Levin was the best I found!
    So it is invoice price + $1500 + $480 + $140, right?
    It was invoice + 2% +480 + $140.
    So if invoice is 70K, it would be $1400 +480 + $140! :)
  • moomoo4moomoo4 Member Posts: 2
    I understood you purchased your car, how much did you put down and what are your monthly payments?
    Did it via my bank cos dealer APR was slightly higher and included app fees. I put down $15k so I'm financing $50k (total was $65k t,t & l included) at $951/month for 60 months. Hopefully I'll pay it off sooner (maybe in 44 months) but there is no prepayment penalty. Its also a simple interest loan so after 3 yrs, the interest impact for the remainder of the note will be negligible. Hope that helps!
  • chicagotigerchicagotiger Member Posts: 15
    Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. 2007 X5 3.0 liter... MSRP $61k
    I know this is the smaller engine 2007 X5, trying to see any reasons why not to get it, and what's a fair offer . color is black sapphire

COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
    RUNNING BOARDS
    SATELLITE RADIO
    IPOD & USB ADAPTER
    COLD WEATHER PKG -inc: heated steering wheel, ski bag, 3-stage heated front seats w/fast heating & 4-zone balance control, retractable headlight washers
    PREMIUM PKG -inc: universal garage door opener, panoramic moonroof w/1-touch open/close & pwr sunshade, auto-dimming rearview mirror, auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors, front seat 4-way pwr lumbar, dark burl walnut interior wood trim, digital compass, Bluetooth w/high-capacity phonebook download, BMW Assist w/(4) years of service, Nevada leather seat trim, ground lighting in doors, illum interior door handles, entry/exit lights in each door, dual rear reading lights, rear footwell lights, dual cargo rails w/(4) adjustable tie-downs, storage net & strap, multi-function hooks, locking underfloor storage, removable rubber mats in front door bins, illum front center storage compartment w/accessory pwr outlet
    REAR CLIMATE PKG -inc: 4-zone auto climate control, privacy glass
    SPORT PKG -inc: leather-wrapped sport steering wheel, 19" x 9.0" star spoke alloy wheels (style 212), P255/55HR19 run-flat all-season tires, active roll stabilization, electronic damping control, sport seats, shadowline exterior trim, anthracite headliner (REQ: LU, LV or NA Leather Seat Trim)
    TECHNOLOGY PKG -inc: rearview camera, park distance control w/graphic display, BMW on-board navigation system, 8.8" display, expanded iDrive system, controller w/force feedback, voice command system, real time traffic info w/dynamic re-routing, expanded on-board computer functions, auto ventilation

Dealer Installed Options
    Air Conditioning
    Cruise Control
    Driver Side Air Bag
    Passenger Side Air Bag
    Power Locks
    Power Seats
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Tilt Wheel
    Traction Control
  • gkanakgkanak Member Posts: 1
    I live near Poconos, PA . I am a first time BMW buyer, I like X5 very much. Could some one tell me what would be the right offer for the following 2007 X5 3.0 ?

ZTP Technology Package
    4UB 3rd Row Seat
    402 Panoramic Moonroof
    ZCW Cold Weather Package

As per edmunds including destination $52351 but it is 3400 over the invoice.

Please let me know any hidden cost :)

Thanks in advance
    --Kanak
  • worldnet5worldnet5 Member Posts: 11
    I went to TWO dealerships and they did not have X5 3.0 in stock! Everybody wanted me to pre-order. What is going on? I prefer to buy something on the lot as it will be better priced. Also dealer says invoice+1500 is the best they can do. Can some recent buyer shed some light.
  • ewrhkgewrhkg Member Posts: 4
    I am planning to purchase the x5 4.8 in july. I am wondering is it possible to order the base model with no options? How many months before I should order it and will the discount level be the same or none? Thanks so much!!
    If you are ordering, you can order ANYTHING. Base with no options is definitely a possibility. It takes about 4-6 weeks to get your car. Note that you will NOT find a base car with no options on any dealership lot. (They make money on options). At the same time, you might get a good deal on base as dealership does not have to spend too much time with you. Just ask 4 dealers for best price and select lowest deal.
    BTW, if you are ready to spend $54,500 can you live without a Nav system and backup camera.

I just bought a X5 3.0 with ALL options (except Sport) and it is beautiful
  • x52008x52008 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a X5 within the next thirty days. I plan to pick it up at the plant. My question with this being my first BMW what is a good or reasonable price. I have all the money saved except maybe 8000. I got a quote from three dealers in NC, the prices range from 53300- 56000. I would like the following things options on it.
    base price
    prem pkg
    comfort access
    heated front seat (single only me riding)
    techno pkg
    sat radio
    head up display
    prem enter pkg

Should I be getting a better price if I am paying cash?
    please advise me like everyone else trying to get the best bang for my bucks

mspr invoice edmund

ZPP Premium Pk $2,750 $2,505 $2,732
    ZTP Technology Pk $2,600 $2,365 $2,582
    ZPS Premium SoundPk $1,850 $1,685 $1,838
    610 Head-Up Display $1,200 $1,010 $1,186
    322 Comfort Access $1,000 $910 $993
    655 Sirius Satellite Radio $ 595 $540 $591
    494 Heated Front Seats $ 500 $455 $497
    $57,170 $52,475 $56,817
  • texasbmwtexasbmw Member Posts: 3
    Look, I just ordered my X5 today for invoice +$1000, no other fees here in Texas... deals abound!
    I would reccomend doing research here:
    http://www.x5world.com/x5-e70-forum/
    and
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php

these guys are great! Good luck!
    Invoice + 1000 is good deal. Nothing great though! Think about it: What difference in cost is there to build a car for Kia or BMW. Do you really think there is a $30k difference?? BMW makes good money, dealers make good money. Invoice + 1000 makes you think it is a good deal. I am not complaining though. BTW, my beauty in the garage (2008 X5 3.0si) was invoice + 1000 2 weeks back
  • slojoslojo Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know of a dealer in Florida that will order me an X5 3.0 for $1,000 or less over invoice?
  • houston777houston777 Member Posts: 13
    sdHill, Can you tell me what was the final price you got and what all Options did you take...what's Residual value and money factor for 2008 X5.

Thank you
  • chrisjurchrisjur Member Posts: 12
    Spoke with my dealer today and priced out a loaded '08 3.0. I'm a currently X3 owner and the dealer confirmed that the current owner loyalty program is in place until Jan 2nd (no word on when it will come up again, of if it will be extended). My X3 lease is up in March, but if you place the order before Jan 2, you can take delivery anytime in the next 90 days to secure the loyalty rates. The dealer said that he would work with me to push back production as far as possible and would store the car on lot until I was ready to give up my X3.

Specs were:

2008 X5 3.0i
    Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Nevada Leather
    Dark Burl Walnut Trim
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Comfort Seats with Lumbar Support
    Technology Pkg
    Running Boards
    iPod and USB Adapter
    Satellite Radio

First round of pricing:

List: $59,020
    Invoice: $54,240
    Selling price: $56,913 (+$2893 over invoice)
    (Note: Edmunds TMV: 57,078)
    Money Factor: .0017
    Residual: 58% ($34231.60)
    Monthly Payment: $785

Due at Signing: $4300, includes:
    First Month Payment: $785
    NJ Tax: $2046
    NJ DMV + Reg: $494
    Acquisition: $974
    Cap Cost Reduction: 0
    Security: 0

So thinking I try to drive the invoice price down, of course. Not sure about the $974 acquisition fee - what is in that?

I prefer this dealer, but have some competitive quotes out. We'll see what I can get them all down to.
  • knokno Member Posts: 7
    Hi chrisjur,

Your situation is very similar to mine. My X3 lease is up in April (last payment in March), and a dealer here in the San Diego area has offered to lock the OLP rate for me, push the order out as far as possible, and keep the car on the lot long enough for me to take delivery after I make my last lease payment on the X3.
    My specs:
    2008 X5 3.0
    Alpine White
    Saddle Brown (dealer confirmed this is an available interior color for '08)
    Tech Pkg
    Prem Pkg
    Comfort Access
    Ipod Adapter
    Running Boards

I've been emailing the internet manager back and forth, and I'm going in to the dealer next Saturday to complete all the docs. Dealer and I agreed upon 750 over invoice. I've heard that acquisition fees vary from state to state, but based on other forums I've read, 974 sounds a bit steep. If you haven't checked out other forums, try bimmerfest.com.
    Would really love to know what you paid finally (invoice + what). BTW did not know about loyalty program (1st time BMW owner)
  • chrisjurchrisjur Member Posts: 12
    So the best I could do is get them down to a base cap cost of $56,725 on an MSRP of $59,020 (that is $2673 above invoice) and this was after a lot of haggling. I was working with 2 other dealers and got it down to about $2400 and $2500 over invoice, but the difference wasn't substantial enough to jump dealers. I have heard many bad reviews about the two other dealers and my history with this dealer has been excellent...they are really first class. A few hundred dollars was not going to make me jump ship, plus the reduced OLP money factor on my deal softens the blow a bit on the monthly payments.

worldnet5, the BMW owner loyalty programs is for anyone who has owned a BMW in the last 6 months. It gets you a substantially lower money factor on the lease, no security deposit, plus a waived termination fee on your current lease. (I believe the regular MF for a 26 month lease on a 3.0 is .00230 versus my .00170 for the OLP program)

The current OLP offer (money factor of .0017) for the X5 expires on Jan 2, so you have to "lock in" your deal prior to that date.

If there was a downside to the OLP, maybe all the dealers knew I was under the gun to make a deal and knew that I would lose substantial money if I missed the Jan 2 deadline. That could have been a bargaining chip in their favor. But here in North NJ and New York City, I was not getting any better deals that what I posted.
  • sm_edsm_ed Member Posts: 9
    Hello All,

In the process of getting a 4.8 with 20"s. Something to worry about driving in snow? Are we going to see a big difference between 19 and 20s ?

Thanks!!!
  • rliu818rliu818 Member Posts: 19
    This is the best the dealer will offer here in California for a '08 X5 3.0:

MSRP: $51,225
    10K miles/yr. (our preference)
    $1,969 drive-off
    $678.01/mo. including tax

Note: this is with the reduced MF since I am a returning BMW customer.

Do you guys think I can do significantly better or am I just fighting for pennies at this point?
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    sm_ed - You WILL experience a big difference with 20" wheels on an X5 because they ship with performance tires and not the all season tires that ship on the 19" wheels. I have owned three X5s with 20" wheels and I can tell you from experience that they are almost useless in anything more than an inch of snow. I remember one particular experience trying to drive to the airport early one morning in about 5 inches of snow before the roads were plowed. The vehicle had zero lateral traction and I was lucky to reach 20 mph without sliding sideways. (And no, all wheel drive didn't compensate to any significant degree.)

I advise against 20" wheels if you plan on anything more than occasional driving in light snow. It's just not worth the extra $ cost for a "cosmetic" improvement (for most drivers) if you plan to drive in the snow often. BMW's web site even says "Performance tires are not recommended for driving in snow and ice conditions."

I ended up buying a second set of 18" wheels with all-season tires that I would swap on in December. What a hassle.

Contrast this with my 2007 X5 with 19" wheels, sport package, and all season tires which is a trooper in the snow.

Also note that replacing the OEM 20" performance tires with the same size all-season tires is expensive. There are few choices, all of which are north of $350 per tire.

If you have already purchased the vehicle, tirerack.com is a great resource for researching all season options. I found that it was much, much cheaper to buy a set of 18" wheels with all-season tires already mounted and balanced than it was to buy replacement OEM tires. The 18" wheels work just fine, but of course they don't look as nice as the originals.
  • mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    I'm trying to determine whether this is a good deal. 08 X5 3.0 msrp $56,225 (prem., tech., cold weather, 3rd row, rear climate, running boards, ipod) for $53,685. I can't seem to get a straight answer on invoice price because the dealers build in a dealer prep. fee which runs around $600. Sounds like b.s. Any guidance would be appreciated.