Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rezfrezf Member Posts: 29
    That is NOT entirely true. I used to think that as well, but there are numberous examples where this reasoning has not been used by BMW:
    1) When the E46 M3 was introduced with 340hp, there was a one year lag time before the Z3 M coupe and roadsters changed from the original 240hp to the new engine in 318hp.
    2) The iDrive on the current 7 is still very different and much more complicated than the modified ones introduced in the 5 and 6 series.
    3) The 3 liter in the 5 series in 2005 got the revamped 26hp, while the 3 liter X5 (E50) stayed at the 225hp for the entire model run
  • vioannitisvioannitis Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know your dealers name.

bill.ioannitis@gmail.com

thanks.
  • a8175a8175 Member Posts: 6
    Hey how are you? What is your dealers name? I have a quote on my x5 30 ,51525.00 msrp and 48382.05 aelling price. 620.00 a month and around 3300.00 for 1st month,taxes,aqu.fee. I think it is a good deal. let me know. It is with lease loyality. Thanks a8175@aol.com
  • brandonw1brandonw1 Member Posts: 5
    That sounds like a great deal! Way better than me...
    2008 X5 4.8i, the details are as follows:
    -BLK SAPPHIRE
    -SAND BEIGE
    -PREM PKG
    -TECHNOLOGY PKG
    -COLD WEATHER PKG
    -REAR CLIMATE PKG
    -SPORT PKG W/ 20” WHEEL OPTION
    -COMFORT SEATS
    -PWR TAILGATE
    -COMFORT ACCESS
    -RUNNING BOARDS
    -IPOD/USB ADAPTER
    -SAT AND HD RADIO
    MSRP: $69,375.00
    Dealer quote is $66,375.00
    36 months / 10,000 mile Lease quote
    $1,079.97 plus $2719.11 fees plus tax

What am i doing wrong? What dealer are you using making such a good lease and sales price? At that type of deal, I might just purchase.
  • brandonw1brandonw1 Member Posts: 5
    Ok, here is where I am...

In shopping for am X5 4.8, I have been presented with two options. Of course, I am trying to make a decision this month.

1) The dealer has a new 2007 X5 4.8 very well equipped. MSRP $73,370. Dealer of course wants to move it and the few remaining '07s. Offered it to me for $9,600 off, so $63,770. Yes, I know its an '07, but it loaded very well. I don't really care about the power lift gate or rear camera thats only available on the '08s. I get a new car ever 2-3 years, so this seems to be a decent amount off. *** I assume the $2500 rebate does not apply to this '07 (priority 3 car???)

on the flip side...

2) a 2008, again, nicely equipped. MSRP $72,620. Lease offer of: 36 mo 10k/yr $999/mo with $5,000 cash (includes taxes etc). I dont know what price is being used to determine this. I am told by my dealer this car has been a demo (priority 2 - center own use) and is also not able to reap the $2,500 incentive.

Both cars are fine and acceptable. I just am not sure which makes better since. This is not my best area. Can someone help? Insight? Does the incentive apply to the 07?

Thank you. Trying to decide quickly.
    Your Dealer sound like a scam artist. Here is why:
    1) I punched in the numbers of your car, and you can get that same 2008 X5 for $888 per month, based on a selling price of $65500. So he is ripping you off of more than $100 per month. This is with NO down payment...just taxes and acquisition fee.
    2) He is selling you the car at $69100 for you to be getting a $999 per month payment.
    3) He is either misinformed or full of crap. Priority 2,3,4,5 ALL fall into the rebate/incentive of $2500. Only priority 1 (customer sold) cars cannot qualify. The other stipulation is the car has to have been in a dealer's inventory as of close of business on Feb 14th. It CAN be at another dealership and dealer swaps DO qualify, as long as its Priority 2,3,4,5 and in inventory as of Feb 14th
    Brandon,
    Just sent you an email.

FYI for others wanting to lease. Here is another tidbit factoid of the day. the Acquisition fee is another area where most BMW dealer make a profit. The posted Acquisition fee from BMW Financial Services is $575. I have seen some dealers charge as high as $875 for this Acq fee.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    BMWFS acquisition fee is $625.

Dealers can mark it up to $825 for extra profit... and most do..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• luis5luis5 Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like a great deal congratulations. Can you give me the dealerships name?

Did you gave them as a payment the sale tax? Are you talking about almost 5000 dollars? depending on your state.

Thx,

Luis
  • beopersonbeoperson Member Posts: 74
    Dealer in NJ told me that $2500 incentive for cars in stock is over in March, can anyone confirm?
    Yes it is over in March. The only benefit is the money factor has dropped from 0.00255 to 0.00210
  • drmydrmy Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I am returning my leased 2005 x3 at the end of this month. I am looking at a 2008 x5, 3.0 : dk green, tobacco interior, cold weather package, ipod adapter, rear entertainment system, mats, msrp 51125, invoice price 47500, quoted sale price 48994, acq fee 625, mf .00210, zero down- I was told for all fees and 1st mo I would have to pay 1745.25, monthly payments $710 for 12k, 36 months.The residual is 60%

Also, as an aside, I think I might buy this car at the end of the lease. Does this make sense to do?

Is that a good deal?

We live in Mass.
  • x5buyerx5buyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I am ready to purchase an X5. Below is my car. How much below MSRP can I expect to pay? Thanks a lot!!!!!

My X5 3.0si
    3.0-liter, inline 6-cylinder engine
    xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive
    See all standard features
    Base MSRP $45,900
    Space Gray Metallic $0
    Sand Beige Nevada Leather $0
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim $0
    Premium Package $2,750
    Rear Climate Package $900
    3rd row seat $1,700
    Comfort seats with lumbar support $1,200
    Heated front seats $500
    Navigation system $1,900
    Running boards $300
    Real Time Traffic Information $0
    Voice activation $0
    Destination & Handling: $775
    Total MSRP as Built $55,925
  • x5buyerx5buyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi - We just got back from the dealership. They offered us the following on a demo with 6,000 miles (supposedly the GMs wife was the only person to drive). They say it is a "new car" since it has not been titled. They will extend the warranty 3 months and 5,000 miles and sell us the additional 2 year, 50,000 mile maintenance for $595. So here it is:

X5 3.0si

MSRP $57,700

Invoice 53,105

Edmunds TMV 56,792

Purchase price $51,350

Is this a good deal - any problems with buying a demo? Thanks!
    I'm not sure how I would price the demo, but I have a couple of notes..

1) Every GM must be a polygamist, because every demo/loaner ever mentioned on the forums was driven by his wife.

2) The extra 3 months/5K miles is from the original in-service date.. So, if the car was put into service in October, the warranty runs 4yrs/3mo., or 55K miles from that point in time.. So, you'd actually have less than 4 years remaining.

3) The warranty extension means it has been put into the demo/loaner program.. That's not a bad thing.. but, it's on the vehicle history report.

4) $595 for the extended maintenance is dirt cheap.. You sure they didn't say $1595? This extends the maintenance plan to 6yr/100K from the original in-service date.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mannydommannydom Member Posts: 41
    I welcome anyone's thoughts and opinions about which package I should go with. I seems like dealer's lots have units that contain more optional packages than I care or want to have. If I decide on either one of the mentioned package ONLY, will I get resistance from salesman? Thanks in advance.

I like the Bluetooth wireless option with the BMW Assist. Any opinion on the Bluetooth option?

How about comments on the various leather options or should I go with the least expensive napa?
    Bluetooth is standard
    Napa is most expensive leather. I chose Nevada simply because of the cooling seats and massaging seats which are great for long journies
  • hkb93hkb93 Member Posts: 1
    Hi rezf I am looking to purchase a 4.8 as well pretty close to the configuration of yours. Could you email me you dealers name and who you worked with. I would appreciate it very much. I would love to get a great price as you did. Thanks

childrendentistry@hotmail.com
  • mets86mets86 Member Posts: 12
    For a lease, is the term "initial cap cost" the same as the actual price of the car?
    It should be..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• topgun26topgun26 Member Posts: 16
    what are realistic prices i should pay for either of these two cars:
    X5 3.0- msrp 62,070
    X5 4.8- msrp 68,670
    --Any thoughts??? thanx! I hear rumors of $500 over invoice, is that true?
  • dkla76dkla76 Member Posts: 41
    Im looking for X5 3.0SI in socal.
    Alpine white w/ Beige leatherette, light poplar wood

Options i want are:
    technology package
    Heated front seats
    Automatic tailgate open/closing
    ipod/usb adapter
    running boards

3rd row seat???(maybe)
    BMW assist???(maybe)
    Has anyone think these two options are useful?

Any incentives in april or may?
    Should i wait for deals near memorial day?
    whats the price i should be looking for?
    Any recommendation for dealership and salesperson?
  • gfroiogfroio Member Posts: 6
    I am finalizing on a 3 year 15,000 mi lease for an 2008 X-5 4.8i. I won't list out the options but the MSRP is 66,625 and the invoice is 61,245. I negotiated the selling price to 62,500, roughly 1,250 over invoice. While I asked for a .0021 money factor to be used, the sales rep has told me they have to use .0022 or the business manager makes absolutley nothing. The residual is 37,540. No money down they are giving me a lease price of 985.

I was thinking of going back to them and telling them if we are using the .022 money factor then I am willing to offer 62,250, basicially 1K over invoice.

Any opinions on this deal ?
    what location are you in? what was the dealer? thanx!
  • worldnet5worldnet5 Member Posts: 11
    Can't believe this:
    * Dealer sells you a $62K car and tells you they don't make anything
    * You shell out $62K for a car and you ask for a $250 discount

But we all know we don't buy a BMW thinking it is worth 62K, but we buy just because it is a BMW. If common sense was used, you should buy a $42K Highlander and put $20k in your pocket. But common sense is uncommon and most people (including me) don't have it at all.
    Yes, but you would be driving a Highlander.

Anyway, I was more interested if people feel this is a good deal. I am trying to get them down to a 62,250 price. They seem to be holding at 62,500 (1,250 over invoice). I was able to get them to throw in the BMW all season mats.
    I am in Massechusetts. The dealer is in the next town over.
    im also in mass, was it herb chambers?
    No, it was BMW Gallery, Norwell. I have been very happy with there service over he years and I live in Hingham so it is a 5 min drive. Like the sales guy, very up front, give me all the numbers no problem. So I am about to sign, here are the numbers.

MSRP 66,625 (Plus the all season floor mats,not sure what they cost, say 150-200
    Selling Price 62,375
    No money down, 15,000 mi lease, 3 yrs, 981/mo.

What do you think???
    the x5 4.8i price that i got so far was 65,113 on an msrp of 68,670. Lease wise I couldnt tell you. I should have some prices from other dealers tom. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 4 grand under msrp is good, most dealers say they wont do better than 2500 under msrp.
    If it does not matter where you buy from, give Bob Carpenter at BMW Gallery in Norwell a call. I enjoyed dealing with him. I took the 1K over invoicing approach instead of looking at the MSRP. I wound up paying 1200 over invoice, but if you work in the floor mats, its about 1K. As far as leasing, once you have an agreed upon selling price, working out what you should pay on a monthy is pretty easy. I plugged my numbers into the edmunds calculator and it came out to right about what I was paying. Given that I have 15K miles, I think 980 for the car is pretty good. Maybe not the best, but I am happy (and pretty pumped to get the car). This site and forum helped greatly.
  • troll1976troll1976 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i'm looking to buy 08 x5, 3.0 black sapfire with black leatherette interior , light polar wood, cold weather package, bmw assist, running boards, i was told by the dealer price would be approximately 46500, "but if you are ready now, we can talk further", my question is : whats' the realistic price for it, ? i'm also thinking of getting hd radio, --i'm pre approved for 5.55 financing for 60months (i 'm buying with 22000 down), Do you think it's reasonable to negotiate for 46000, with hd radio and all above accessories???? , the true invoice on it is 45100.
    please help!!!
    So here are two offers I have recieved for a 2008 x5
    3.0- msrp 62,870, offer of 58,900
    4.8- msrp 69,970, offer 66,100
    -any opinions if this is a good deal?
    Just ordered a 2008 X5 3.0si with the following:
    prem, sport, tech, cold, rear climate, comfort seats, comfort access, power tailgate, prem sound, ipod, sat radio.
    msrp- 62,970
    final offer of- 58,750
    Any thoughts???
  • mtech8mtech8 Member Posts: 4
    Really depends on when you ordered the car.

If it's May 9th or prior, then the deal isn't so hot. But if it's after, then it's good. (Price increase on most BMW's except X6, 1 series and M3 as of June 1st 2008 OR May 10th for ordered cars).

I'd try to buy one off the lot right now with the same set-up and shoot for $56,330 to $56,830. Very fair offer.
    good luck getting those numbers, maybe off lot you can but def not with ordering one. This was before the price increase.
    All,
    I have been told from my sources that Ffor cars purchased or leased from 5/9/08-6/30/08 BMW is offering a cash back, which your dealer may not be willing to share with you. The program is called "Option Credit" and basically BMWNA will reimburse the equivalent price of the Premium Package on the X5 at the time of purchase. This translates to $2505 off on the X5 3.0 and $1595 off for the X5 4.8. You can still be eligible for this offer even of the prospective car your are considering to purchase is not equipped with premium package. Once you negotiate your lowest price, then deduct the above amounts from your car and that should be your bottom price. Shrewd negotiators can take advantage of this and get themselves an x5 for below invoice. Now, go to your dealerships and give them hell :)
    didnt know about that when I went to order it on 5/11. Is it too late if I already ordered the car and put a $1000 deposit down on the car?
  • bwphotonbwphoton Member Posts: 2
    I haven't purchased a new vehicle in 13 years, and am a little rusty. And am also female and wonder if bringing along a "XY chromosome combo" is necessary. I am now in a Land Rover Discovery and am thinking hard about a BMW X5 3.0 (still need that 3rd row seating!), but don't want to go w/ L. Rover again. Am also considering BMW 5 Series wagon or Audi A4 Avant (if give up 3rd row seating ), or Audi Q7 if stick w/ the 3rd row seats. I have been quoted the following for a 08 X5 3.0 :
    base MSRP $45,900
    Premium Pack 2,750
    Rear Climate Control 900
    Rear Seat 1700
    iPod connect 400
    Total=$51,000
    money down= 5,300 (tax and license )
    and will include Sat radio and mats
    2.9% at $973/month
    I mentioned the BMW NA incentive for cash back on premium package and it was clear I wouldn't get an answer until it was clear I was further committed to the X5.
    ANY HELP OUT THERE?? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to consumers who are looking to purchase an SUV right now. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information along with the vehicle(s) you are researching or looking to purchase no later than Tuesday, June 3rd.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• greg75greg75 Member Posts: 2
    Rezf,

Thanks for the "Option Credit" tip. I'm hoping to get a X5 3.0 (with nevada, rear climate and iPOD) for around $42,000 plus 825 destination. Do you think this is possible?

Any other negotiation tips/tactics?

Greg
    I don't know what your MSRP is?
    General rule is find the invoice pricing then add $500-$1000 to that price and that should be your purchase price. Now, with the option credit deduct the amount from the last value. To sum

Invoice + $500 to $1000 - Option Credit = the purchase price
  • greg75greg75 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Rezf.

May I ask for a little more advice?

I currently live in Baltimore, MD but am moving to Honolulu, HI in 30 days. There is only one BMW dealership in Hawaii, and therefore, I'm worried about not getting a reasonable deal if I wait to buy an X5 in Hawaii.

In Maryland, I've started talking with several of the dozen local dealerships. Is it possible for me to place an order with a local dealership but plan to have the X5 delivered in Honolulu, HI? How would this have to work, and would I have to pay any extra fees?

Greg
    I had a friend from Hawaii who was looking for an X5 but the one dealership in town did not want to deal. I put him in touch with the local dealership I buy from in Maryland, and he got a great deal. Unfortunately, the cost of trucking the car to Hawaii would have defeated the purpose of getting a good deal. The "courtesy delivery" is not really an option as most dealers would not want to spend the time to do a vehicle delivery for someone else and not get any $$ from it.
    My advice to you is shop locally...you always get the best deal.
    If you like, leave me your email and I will forward my sales manager's email and contact info for you to get in touch with. Their prices are always hands down better than the other Maryland dealers
    Since the BMW dealership in Hawaii has a captive market, I doubt they'd agree to do a courtesy delivery for another dealer.

I'm not sure you can pull it off, but if you were to do it, you'd be better off shopping for the car in California and having them ship it to the island..the shipping charges would be much less from there. If you can save $3000 or so, then it might pay off..

But, who knows what kind of service you'd get from the Hawaii dealer after that? I think trying to get the best deal you can from them would be the way to go.. Let them know you are considering other makes.. They might not have any BMW competition, but they've got competition from other makes..

Also.. the most important question... How do I get to move to Hawaii?
    regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmw_x5bmw_x5 Member Posts: 2
    I just contacted my dealer and asked about the option credit after depositing $500 last month on my ordered X5 3.0. They just called back and gave me the full $2500. I pick it up the weekend.
  • osheasfosheasf Member Posts: 1
    do you mind letting me know the dealer name and location. I am looking at a 2008 X5 but my dealer in NM says he does not know anything about it!

Thanks.
  • bmw_x5bmw_x5 Member Posts: 2
    New Country BMW in Hartford, Conn
  • justwntd2knowjustwntd2know Member Posts: 3
    or do you think they will take $47,600?

36 months lease
    2008 3.0 X5
    Alpine White
    Tobacco leather
    Premium Package
    Technology Package
    I-Pod Adaptor
    MSRP: $52,875.00
    Negotiated price $49,995.00
    $5,000.00 Total down
    12,000 miles per year
    MF= 00275
    RV=55%
    $717.91 + tax

I live in CA.

I have run the numbers on the Edmunds lease calculator and came out with a lower payment. Any advice on why?
  • coryhoehn10coryhoehn10 Member Posts: 4
    Is the sport package worth the price? I'm going to get an X5 with premium and tech, but I'm undecided on the sport package. How much different is the handling?

Thanks!