Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ross99ross99 Member Posts: 1
    Dadz - you got a great deal... I am in a similar situation with an NJ dealer, but he won't go below $34,900. Did you get the extras like carpets, splash guards, alum kick pl etc?
  • dadszdadsz Member Posts: 14
    Hi Ross99,

Yep, the Z came with carpeted floor mats and trunk mat, splash guards, wheel locks, and alum. kick plate.

Dealer had the car at $34,239 at the Nissan 'Tent Sale' event. After driving it with my wife, we talked a little about it. I used the TMV here as my negotiating tool. No matter what the dealer will say, the car is worth only what the TMV tells you in my opinion. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it's going to be in the TMV range. So you need to work with your dealer to get the price down around where mine was. Otherwise you are going to lose between $1,000 and $1,600 in depreciation while financing it over the term of your car loan.

The dealer I worked with did not lose money (and I don't expect him to either). I saved him making another interest payment on the car's floorplan loan, he also has his holdback and any advertising money. He also has an inflated MSRP due to the transportation charge of $695. (No way does it cost that much to bring a car up from Norfolk to Annapolis). We had two rounds of negotiations over 45 minutes. In the end, they probably made a couple of hundred on the car, but they also got rid of their last 2006 and now can concentrate on making money on their 2007s.

BTW same model 2007 Touring Roadster with the exact same options shows a sticker MSRP of $38,975 ($300 increase over 2006).

Good luck with your dealer. It's a great car...
  • opathalopathal Member Posts: 1
    Couple chips here and there, but a GREAT car driven by my mom. They wanted to make me a deal on the vehicle as it was babied and my folks decided to get a Benz. I am very conservative with my money and worried about getting a car that is expensive to operate. My 03 Tacoma is a great car, but my fiance's 180K Camry just died.

Am I an idiot not to take this deal. They originally purchased the car for 42K all said and done. Any problems I need to worry about? Thanks everyone!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    That's less than wholesale in my neck of the woods, so yeah, you should jump on it, IMHO.

other than eating tires, there's not much to worry about.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Opathal,

Jump on it. Don't worry about the tires either. Most of the 2005s were fine, it was the 2003s that most people complain about... that's a great deal...

Mechanically, this is a very good car. With 21K miles, it's hardly even broken in. You should get YEARS of fun from the car.
  • scrugh_77scrugh_77 Member Posts: 8
    hey guys,

i have been reading most of this thread... just wanted to find out what's the best price for the base model MANUAL 6 SPEED.... in southern california... bought... and from which dealership.... any extras they threw in...

THANKS...
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Just curious for why you want a base model?

You might want to think about going up a notch or two to get traction control. Anecdotal evidence indicates that it's well worth it.
    well b/c it's my second car.. i don't want to put more money to make it luxurious and comfortable... i want it as a sports car...i was considering touring model but would rather save the $5K and keep that to fix up the base model..
    Well, OK, I get the not making it luxurious and comfortable part - but traction control has to do with basic safety. Doesn't matter if it's a second car or not. (Mine is a second car too.)

Personally I think they shouldn't even sell the base model as currently equipped; I wish they didn't sell any model without traction control. Wish they would include that on the base model, with interior as is, and then the folks who also want the leather interior and what-not can step up to touring if they want, but everyone will have that basic protection.

I've read in the my350z.com forum about too many serious accidents to be "oh well, so what" about the base model.

Your choice of course, just something you might do well to keep in mind.
    yes i do understand... u are right... well thanks for enlightening me.... since u are helpful... what should i go with

350z touring OR G35 c premium package...

thanks
    Well, since you're posting in a Z thread.... you're going to get a biased opinion here!! I love my Z roadster and had no interest in a coupe of any sort.

But since you're asking, here's a couple or three things to consider: this is a non-essential purchase, for you, right? As a second car I'm assuming it doesn't have to be as practical as your first car. So do you want to make this decision by emotion or by logic? By fun or by practicality?

If by emotion: which car makes you smile when you look at it and drive it? Which car makes you think "Ooh, baby, this is one sweet ride!"

If by logic: do you often need to drive with more than one passenger? Do you often need to drive it in winter weather? If so you will need to get a second set of tires for the Z, possibly can get by with all-seasons on the G35, depending where you live. My car stays in the garage if temps are below 40 (I've got summer high-performance tires on it).

Look at the trunk space. For me, I think the roadster's trunk is just fine for what I need. (Note that the coupe has that bar across the inside which can make loading a little more difficult.) I can fit in an airline-sized carry-on suitcase plus a duffel bag, or about a dozen bags of groceries. But I can't usually use this car for a Home Depot run.

So, do you need more space than that, or will that be enough for you most of the time for a second car?

My bias is, don't get a coupe at all, get the Z roadster (touring) if you live in a place where you can enjoy it at least nine months of the year. :shades:

(Not that I want to make your decision even more complicated, of course!! ;)
    hey thanks man... opinion much appreciated... my view so far was like this and btw, i am into modifying import cars... so put that into consideration....

350z: fast, sporty, cheaper than Infiniti, more parts available for mods...

G35: more sophisticated and luxurious, poss more costly parts and more $$ maintainence...

so do i want the cheaper (but still good) nissan sports car or a little more sophisticated one... Either I totally mod up the 350z like crazy or get g35 with some minor like kit and coilovers... it is difficult.... also the g35 is about $8K more... could used that to mod the 350z into a mean machine...

so that's where my head is...
    Have you driven either or both of them yet? Sounds like you're analyzing them logically, on paper, pros and cons. Which is good, that gives you a starting point.

The G35 looks like the mid-priced option of the 3 possibilities.

MSRP starting prices, depending on options:

Z coupe: high 20's to low 30's

G35: mid 30's.

Z roadster: mid 30's to very high 30's, poss. low 40's for GT edition (I know that's not what you want, just saying what the range is).

Try driving each one, preferably on the same day, and see what you think. Check out dealers' inventory on line. Some dealers do a much better job of being clear as to what they have; some just slap on the Nissan or Infiniti information page and don't indicate at all what they've got in stock.

My preference would be for the ones that are clear about what they've got. Indicates a more straight-forward, less game-playing, mind set of doing business.
  • richinazrichinaz Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 350Z roadster on July 4th.
    MSRP was 38,280
    Paid 34,192
    I priced it with 4 dealers. I wanted the 6 speed and didn't care for the touring model with leather seats here in Arizona. So it's the enthusiast model. The price at all of the dealers was in the 38k range. (MSRP) They were willing to let me have the car at around 35k one dealer quoted me 34,500. I love the car my only regret is not having bought one sooner.I've had quite a few covettes and this car is way more fun to drive.
    help me decided between the 2options:
    1. used <20K miles ~$30K.... own financing ~7%
    2. new ~$37otd.... 1.9% financing..

which one works out better....
    thanks
    nick.
    that sounds very expensive for a used one with that many miles. What are the details on it?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen is correct... that is too expensive for a used Z.

I bought a 2006 with 90+/- miles on it from dealer as a new car and only paid $32 for a touring model roadster. What model, year, options, etc. are on these... love to help but we'd only be shooting in the dark for now...

Dadsz
  • ksphereksphere Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know why the 350Z doesn't have a sunroof option like the G35 coupe? This is a showstopper for me, or maybe I'm not the Z type like I thought?
    I could give you plenty of excuses. Reduced structural rigidity; slope of the roof is too great; etc. But, in the end, I'm sure they could design it with one if they wanted to (although it would have to slide out over the rear hatch and you would not be able to open the hatch without closing the moonroof AND i'm sure LOTS of people would be breaking their moonroofs and bitching and complaining all over the internet how the Z is a piece of garbage, etc). And, really, I don't know how many folks would see a need for it. I mean, the roof panel is SO small as it is. I never thought twice (or even once, for that matter) about wanting a moonroof in the car.

sorry for the delay...

bout that used 350z... it's b/c has a kit and wide low offset rims on them... God, really this is a tough decision... first, it will be my second car... so it's kinda like throwing money away... second the models i like are expensive and the dealers are not even giving an offer that make me really think about it... the quotes are all similar... but this forum gives me lot of info... to compare to.. SO THANKS GUYS,,, EVERYTHING U GUYS MENTION IS VERY HELPFUL TO US FOLKS WHO HAVEN'T BOUGHT YET....

nick. :blush:
    No moonroof because you can always buy the roadster - biggest moon/sun-roof possible!
  • hanzoohanzoo Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I got an offer of $7000 down (24 months lease) of $450 per month...I was wondering if this is a bad offer or a good offer...( 2007 350z touring with SplashGuards,Carpeted Floor Mats and Splash Guards. )msrp of 34,270....thank you for your help... :blush:
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    If you buy a base model, the biggest problem is the lack of a limited slip differential which is essential for this car. Also you don't get cruise control which is a big problem for most people. If you don't need cruise, and plan to upgrade to an aftermarket limited slip diff (like the NISMO unit), then go for the base model since it is a couple grand cheaper than the next step up model. There is about 2 grand in markup on the base model, so you probably can't get more than that off the MSRP, while models like the touring or higher up have 3 grand or more markup, so there is a little more haggling involved. Anyway, for non-daily use, a base model with upgraded limited slip would be a great toy. Just be very careful on the street without stability control. If you punch the gas mid corner the rear will step out and you need to know how to control that.

Most of the aftermarket wheels are crap for this car. You don't want to get wheels that are even heavier than stock because it will affect the balance and performance of this sports car. If you want to upgrade the wheels you should go with a forged wheel like NISMO or others. These are very expensive. The stock wheels are really pretty nice, but they weigh about 26 lbs, if you can upgrade to some lighter forged rims you will improve accel and overall performance. Also don't go with an extremely wide rear tire or you will increase understeer, unless you correct with a thicker rear sway bar.

There is just a little bit of understeer built in from the factory, it's just right for most people, but you definitely don't want to increase this especially for track use!

Good luck with your purchase. The 07 model has a significantly upgraded engine, so try to swing for the 07 models. To get a good baseline when shopping for a new model, go to carmax.com and check out the price of their new 350Zs at the Nissan store in Baltimore. You will be hard pressed to beat these prices for new models. However for a used 350, you want to try to get a better price than the used carmax prices. That would be a goal for used 350 shopping.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi hanzoo. Let me begin by saying that $7,000 is way too much money to put down when leasing. I always advise consumers not to make any sort of down payment on leases. People who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicles are totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You can and should lease any vehicle that you want without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction.

You never mentioned the selling price of the 350Z that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • johnl617johnl617 Member Posts: 24
    So im looking for a Black, Carbon Silver, or San Marino Blue Automatic Touring 350Z.

Options:
    Convenience, Carpets, Kick Plate, XM radio

Total came out to a MSRP of 34690. I really want the side airbags... but I cant seem to find one with that package.

The invoice on this is 32057 on edmunds.

You guys think I can get a better price on that car or i should be happy with the invoice price....

Any help is appreciated guys.

Also whats the going APR on these cars? 6%?
    well, carsdirect is showing $50 under invoice in my area. So, yeah, it seems invoice should be OK.

As far as interest rate, there are just way too many variables. Your credit score, if you belong to a CU, etc. Check out bankrate.com.

thanks man. appreciate it.

now final question before i pull the trigger on the car. auto or manual. i know this topic has been bashed till death....

ive driven auto my whole life and I want to go manual just because everyone tells me this car needs to be driven as a manual. I was also told this is probably a bad car for a beginner at manual since its too powerful for me. lol i know....

i just dont want to risk it because ill be driving this throughout the year even in the winter. i got snow tires and wheels already :)

the question is: im always travelling (auditor) and ill be driving it all the time year round. AUTO or MANUAL?

THanks!
    What's traffic like? Are you buying this to drive or to race? If you're buying to drive and have a fair amount of traffic, you'll be happier with auto. Remember there's a manu-matic sort of thing so you can shift the gears for yourself if you want, even with an auto.

Honestly shifting with a manual is a lot of fun on twisty country roads where there's little or no traffic. It gets old fast if you're in a major urban area with a lot of stop and go driving. With the automatic, you get basically the best of both worlds - or at least 90% of the best, since it's not quite like a true manual.
    well, I can tell you this much, as far as manuals go, this car is a piece of cake. Yeah, it can be a bit grabby and all, but what I mean is because their is so much torque all over the powerband, its very easy to hang out in 3rd in traffic, as long as you don't come to a complete stop, and have power to accelerate from 10 mph up to 60+. Its not like a little wheezy 4 cylinder where you need to keep shifting to get out of your own way. Know what I mean?

Oh I see...

Well im from boston, and i live near the BIG DIG..... nuff said. I hit traffic almost everyday lol. I would love to get a manual but im most likely going for an Auto.

Im not racing with this car at all. Maybe on a nice day on a nice whiney road I might do something stupid, but Im getting this car for the fact that ive been in love with Zs since the 300Z came out.... you can say its my dream car. :)
  • angelfish303angelfish303 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what the difference is between the 350Z and the Nismo, other than $10,000?
  • ed101ed101 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal or would you expect the price to be lower?

2005 350Z Roadster Touring Automatic
    6000 miles
    One owner
    $25,500

Anyone bought a similar car recently for a lot less?
    hmmm... tough one. It is a roadster and it has ultra-low miles. Seems like alot of car for the money.

• codekcodek Member Posts: 9
    Anyone, what is a good price on a base 350z?

black on black, manual in So. Cal
    I'm thinking about buying or leasing a 350z.

What would you do and why?

Which 350z would you get. I'm looking at the base. I'm not a racer but would like a sporty car.
    Car_man

I am going to buy a 2007 Nissan Z coupe in black (basic Package)

This is the initial price I got

27144(invoice price) - 1500(rebate) = 25644 (plus tax and fees)

I called another dealer and they are wiling to do close to

25644-700 = 24944 (plus tax and fees)

6.79% for 5 year

good deal

Thanks Car_man, you are absolutely, most definitely the best!
  • zmachine157zmachine157 Member Posts: 1
    Ok...so, my wife is about to turn 50. She says her Lexus ES330 is an old ladies car...she isn't getting another car like it again. She really wants a convertible. She also can't wait for the lease to expire...which is in 5 months.

So..me being a great husband, I listen to her and think...this girl has always sacrificed for the rest of us I need to get her what she wants...and deserves. So, I start looking around. I drop by the Nissan dealer and I see this solar orange Z roadster...that just happens to be an automatic. Wow...it's awesome and perfect for my wife.

So, I drag her out to the dealer the next day and she drives it. Before she gets out of the parking lot she's crying. She said "Oh my God, this care is awesome...it's what I've always wanted!" She was very emotional. I looked over at her and all I could think of was...how can I get her this car?

So...I'm working a deal with the dealer but he isn't budging much. I guess I know why...the solar orange is rare...probably rarer with an automatic.

I've only gotten him to come down a couple grand...what should I do, wait him out? It's almost winter here in Indianapolis. What is a fair price to pay? It is a roadster grand touring automatic, solar orange.

I'd probably get it if they would just come down a couple grand more.
    '07 or '08?

If an '08, I'm not sure where all that money is going to come from. There is only a $3k spread between MSRP and invoice.

I think $2500 off on an '08 so early in the model year would be a good deal.

• absolutmbabsolutmb Member Posts: 3
    I recently settled for a 2006 Touring coupe in Pikes Peak Pearl color with 13,200 miles for $24,500. Is this a good deal or did I overpay? Car looks good exterior and interior wise. Test drive went well. Clear title and carfax. Thanks for the help
  • fabcas311fabcas311 Member Posts: 1
    hello carman, need some advice here....i just leased a nissan 350z of nov 06...37500 touring with nismo stuffs!....45 month lease....its an auto tranny...and i regret for not getting the 6sp....im thinking of trading my car when the 09z comes out nxt yr... any advice is very helpful.thanks..
  • talk2marvintalk2marvin Member Posts: 6
    Looking to lease an 07 leftover 31,800 including destination in NC. What should I be looking at for a 36month lease with 0 down? Plus I have heard that Z's arent good to lease, but I dont want to purchase one with the 09 coming out. I figure by late '10 they show have all the bugs worked out of them.
  • svn75060svn75060 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your opinion. I recently bought a 2004 Enthusiasts with 39K for 18.5k out the door. Did i get a good deal?

Would appreciate your opinions.
    Hi codek. If I was in the market for a Nissan 350Z and I wanted to get a 2008 model, I probably would pay cash for or finance it. Nissan is not currently providing any lease support on the '08 350Z. On the other hand, if I was willing to go with a leftover 2007 model I would consider leasing it. Nissan is currently providing a special $1,000 cash incentive on leases of the '07 350Z Coupe and $2,500 on leases of the '07 350Z Convertible through its captive finance company. If you finance this car through an independent bank or pay cash for it, you cannot take advantage of this incentive.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi fabcas311. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings talk2marvin. Is $31,800 this car's MSRP or is it the selling price that you were quoted for it? You definitely should be able to negotiate a pretty good discount on this car right now. Not only are dealers going to want to unload their leftover 2007 models to make room for new '08s, but Nissan is actually providing a cash incentive on leases of it. Specifically, it is providing a total of $1,500 ($1,000 lease cash + $500 bonus cash) on leases of the 2007 350Z Coupe and $2,500 on the '07 350Z Convertible through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.

Let me know what this car's MSRP and approximate selling price are, or at least its MSRP and dealer invoice price, and I will be happy to use Nissan's current lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    sounds good to me, but out-the-door means nothing to me since I don't know what your taxes were, motor vehicle fees, etc.
    The actual purchase price minus all the other stuff would be easier to judge.

• talk2marvintalk2marvin Member Posts: 6
    MSRP: $33,825
    Invoice: $31,379
    Dont know if I should only do either 15K for 2 years or 12 for 3 years since the bumper to bumper is 36K miles? Opinions car_man?
  • deepstardeepstar Member Posts: 18
    Hi Car Man..Maybe you can kill two birds with this one...lol.

I am in the exact same boat and I have exactly the same Question as talk2marvin...I'm Looking to lease a 2007 350Z Coupe - Touring with an MSRP of 33,840. and an Invoice of 31,291. I don't want to put money down If I can help it.
    I might caveat this by saying this will be my first time to really research a car purchase like never before, and am hoping that I can get into a sweet deal on a great car. Hope you can bear with my barrage of questions.

It seems to be my assumption based on what I have read, that I want to negotiate the sales price of the car before I work out the lease numbers. Is this the right thing to do? This seems to be nearly impossible, the way dealers load their questioning with the typical barrage of, "Where do you want to be?"..etc....

Other factors and questions to this are:
    1. My local dealer does not have the model I want, being the end of the year.
    So do I:
    A. Go to a dealer with current stock of what I want.
    B. Ask him to "Go Get" me what I want.
    (Will he charge me for this / Sneek in an additional destination charge? or should this be his Cost of Doing Business to gain me as a customer or lose the sale?)

2. Will it help or Hurt me in telling/showing my salesman a printed TMV form from edmunds or elsewhere. What would/ should his response be to that?

3. What to do about taxes? Should they be worked into the Lease or should I pay them upfront. Some dealers are asking me what do I want to do in terms of taxes.

4. I am comming out of a lease in Jan from another manufacturer...So far Nissan dealers have not asked to "pick-up" my final two payments as others dealers have done.
    Is there a way to "not get stuck" paying two lease payments in order to jump on the chance to get an '07 leftover deal.

5. Does dealer Invoice truly mean that is what the dealer paid for the vehicle?
    How does this question apply to the smaller dealers vs. the SUPER MEGA AUTOMALLS?

6. Is it Unreasonable to ask to pay invoice price or "close to it" or even "below it" on an '07 leftover in Dec '07 on a "non-luxury brand"?

7. Should I insist on knowing the Money Factor for the lease?

Thanks sooo much...hope that wasn't too lengthy.. ;)
    Can anyone answer the last two Posts :confuse:
    Also some more information now on this car. Lease is for 12,000 Mi/yr
    MSRP of 35,510 Invoice of 32,481 as it has the 18" chome wheels.

Looking to see what the best deal should be on this lease.
    what is the Current Money factor and Residual Value on this car.
    for 36 or 48 months based on 12,000 mi/yr

The advertised lease deal is not a deal at all but more like an example...I have already gotten better pricing without haggling yet.
This discussion has been closed.