Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,387
    Is there a less expensive way to get sirius?

Yep, don't go to the dealer, price it a Best Buy, Circuit Cuty or and Indie.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    With the birth of our first child, my wife stubbornly realized her precious JCW Mini S was no longer the practical car it managed to be when it was just the two of us. She was really heartbroken over having to get rid of he Mini...she loved that car almost as much as I think she loves me!

Since she is something of an enthusiast, SUVs were out, as were mini vans, hybrids, crossovers, any acura, and just about all american cars.

Anyway, she tried and denied just about every car she drove - the BMW 328 and 335 were too expensive equipped to her tastes, she found the G35 unsightly, the IS250/350 a poseur's car, the Mini Clubman a frankstein masquerading as a car, the Volvo lineup disappointing to drive, and the Subaru too much of a mom car.

On a whim she drove an A3 and to my surprise loved it. A week later we bought a misano red 2008 A3 with sport package, open sky, heated front seats, ipod adapter, and Sirius. details to follow
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Glad to hear it turned out well -- enjoy. The A3 was my first introduction to Audi in the summer of '01 in Europe. I came home & have followed several of the Audi boards to this day.

However, I was (still am, really) a RWD snob & only recently came to grips with the notion that getting what I wanted in a car meant I had to let FWD back into the calculation. So, Audi was one choice and the Acura TSX (European Accord) was another. I ended up with the TSX & have something over a thousand miles on it -- nimble, great manual transmission, excellent fuel mileage. I'm very pleased so far. What issues does your wife have with Acura? The TSX cerainly feels like an enthusiast's car, at least to me. I (used to) think I'm an enthusiast.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your Audi. How long are you planning to keep it? Any concerns regarding reliability?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    The 09 TSX redesign is out now or will be out very soon, and a quick look at the redesign says all (imho). Not sure where Acura is going with their whole product line but they seem to be making some ugly, underpowered, and overpriced vehicles lately.

Reliability is a concern, so we got the Audi Care to make sure some of the expenses will be offset. I have no plans of keeping the A3 past its warranty period either unless it turns out to be a maintenance dream. This is our first Audi, so I hope it doesnt turn out to be a bad purchase (i have heard too many horror stories about VW reliability).

The wife loves the A3 so far...her only regret is not getting the xenons. She said it handles like her mini but has more power .

I have read a lot about the A3 and people thinking it is a car with no market in the states (too high end for a hatch, too small to compete with wagons, too expensive for its target market), but I have to believe cars like the A3 will grow in popularity in the US over the next few years. It is the ideal marriage of sport, luxury, practicality, and fuel consumption. Outside of its VW cousin I found other options limited, particularly if you want a wagon or hatchback.

I will be kicking myself if the BMW 1 series hatch ends up over this way in the next two years though!
  • cogneurocogneuro Member Posts: 5
    in the consumer reports eval of the audi 3, everything seems hunky dory except "owner satisfaction" which is very low. Why would this be?

potential buyer
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    That's interesting. From everything I have read there is universal love for the A3, both from professionals and current owners. I'll have to check out CR.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The A3 was at or near the very top of the list for all existing current models in terms of owner satisfaction. Everyone loves their A3 purchase. It's a no brainer; if you can get a good deal on it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • diggydoc1diggydoc1 Member Posts: 22
    I noticed the 2009 A3 has Meteor Grey as a color choice. Has anyone seen this Audi color in person on other vehicles? I know that sensible people will differ on matters of taste, but I'm just interested in any impressions.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    I know that VW has a shade of grey that is fairly close. Might give you some insight.

FYI, the 2009 has dropped the Ocean Blue; the new color is "Aruba Blue", and while it is supposedly a bit darker, the color swatches delivered to the Dealerships are supposedly a lot ("too much") darker. The A5/S5 comes in Aruba Blue, so I'm waiting to see one of those to see how much of a change it may/may not be. Here's some images of A5s in Aruba Blue I found online:

http://www.huntzinger.com/a3/

Also, another change for the 2009 A3 (USA Spec) is that cloth interior is apparently gone...leather only now.

-hh
    Thanks for the info and the link, hh.

I noticed they dropped Deep Sea Blue for the A3 as well. I was interested in that color.

Quattro with the 2.0 engine is what will probably sell me on the '09 A3.
    Where are you getting your new information on the 2009 model A3's?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I've been talking with a few dealers. They've ordered some 09s for August/September(?) delivery.
    Same as what diggydoc1 said: from a local dealership.

We have a 2009 on order ... as of Friday, it has been accepted into production, but there was a "call Factory" note on it that needed to be resolved.

Heard back from our salesman on Saturday - - the note was because the color of Azure Blue is going to be a "Delayed Introduction".

What "delayed" that means could be Oct 08, or January 09, etc. Simply don't know right now. My salesman is going to be calling his regional representative this week to find out more.

BTW, I got a quick verbal list of the colors that will be available in the initial 09 shipment (eg, Aug/Sept delivery)...salesman was hoping that my wife's #2 color choice was a close second and would be willing to switch; can't blame him for trying.

Overall, it was an IMO downright uninspired list... I didn't write it down, but I recall that there was a red, a white, some type of black (probably metallic?), something called "ice silver" (replaced last year's silver) and some shade of metallic grey.

In thinking about this color list while writing this up, it reminded me very much of the color list that VW puts on the GTI...and checking VW's website, I see:

Candy White - Tornado Red - Black Magic Metallic - United Grey Metallic - Reflex Silver.

Yup, same 5 basic colors. Thanks Audi, but if I wanted a car that looked just like a GTI, I'd go buy a GTI and save $4,500.

-hh
    Brilliant Black
    Brilliant Red
    Aruba Blue Pearl Effect
    Lava Gray Pearl Effect
    Meteor Gray Pearl Effect
    Ice Silver Metallic
    Ibis White
    Misano Red Pearl Effect (S-Line only)
    Monza Silver Pearl Effect (S-Line only)

There's no green or tan in there, but otherwise, it seems to cover it. Or what am I missing?
    Green and Beige/Tan are the two colors Audi needs to add most!!! and it's the colors most blatantly left off... bad decision!
    I have my salesman's color list at home. There were only 5 colors on it for 'immediate' delivery, so it differs from this.

Since I only recall one shade of gray, either the Lava or the Meteor isn't initially available (another "delayed introduction").

The two colors in the S-Line weren't mentioned as I wasn't looking to order an S. Don't have any particular insight on those.

-hh
    Murano Green, but in a slightly lighter shade!!!

Dakar Beige, both of these are beautiful colors.
  • f8u1ef8u1e Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have up-to-date info on any changes to the 2009 A3 options packages and interiors. Colors seem to be covered. Thanks
    Like what specifically?
    We are in the process of ordering a 2009 A3 w/S-Line, Open Sky, BiXenons, Heated Seats and Convenience Pkg. based on 2008 data. Our dealer does NOT have either the information or pricing. Any significant change from the 2008 information will impact the order.

Thanks.
    Does anyone have 2009 A3 prices?
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    so, I just read that the '09 A3 will offer the 2.0T engine with quattro... excellent, i thought but then I went to Audi's website only to find out that, in Audi's new fashion, they are only offering the quattro with the automatic transmission (sorry, DSG or whatever... it's missing the third pedal).

Lame, as I was hoping to put this in my consideration set... I love the size and the really want a wagon/hatch but don't want FWD.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Audi’s diesel-powered R10 has captured the hearts of many enthusiasts whose veins may pump fuel but their minds think green. Even better, the wait for the first modern diesel Audis to hit the American market is almost over so long as you’re looking for a large SUV with consumption in the mid-twenties. If you want something more frugal than that, say some of our Audi contacts, your wait may not be as long as some fear. Enter the A3 2.0 TDI.

No, this won’t be the most potent 2.0 TDI sold in Europe, which even powered this year’s Worthersee-inspired A3 Clubsport quattro TDI show car. That engine would necessitate the added cost and weight of the A3’s Haldex-based quattro system and federalization of a whole new drivetrain, which would price the car out of the market. Instead, say senior German sources, Audi of America is considering the use of the same new commonrail 2.0 TDI drivetrain that’s currently hitting the market in the Volkswagen Jetta.

This North American 2.0 TDI drivetrain is produces 140-hp and 236 lb-ft of torque and, in the Jetta TDI, provides and estimated EPA fuel economy of 29 MPG city and 40 MPG highway. The EPA figure only tells part of the story though as Volkswagen contracted a third party certifier AMCI to test the Jetta and the study netted real world figures 24 percent better…. Figure 38 mpg city and 44 mpg highway. Given similar size and weight, don’t expect an A3 2.0 TDI to deviate far from these numbers.

The 2.0 TDI has already been certified with a 6-speed manual transmission or a 6-speed S-tronic (also known as DSG at VW). Just which powertrain will be made available remains unclear, though Audi may choose to simplify and sell only the S-tronic. While manual gearbox loyalists may grouse, we find S-tronic to be well suited for use with this particular engine. The low red line and immediate torque make the fast-shifting dual-clutch setup ideal.

Even better, Volkswagen is making headlines pointing out that their 2.0 TDI offerings are eligible for a $1,300 Federal Income Tax Credit that was recently announced. In the case of the Jetta and Jetta SportWagen, the only two cars in which the 2.0 TDI are currently offered, the Internal Revenue Service recently issued a certification letter that confirmed both Volkswagens qualify for the Advanced Lean Burn Technology Motor Vehicle income tax credit. There’s no reason to believe an A3 sharing the same drivetrain would be any different.

As near as we can tell, the decision hasn’t been completely finalized. The car is up in the air, but prospects are likely. Even better, once the nod has been given from Ingolstadt, production of the A3 2.0 TDI could begin immediately and mean cars in market within a year. For Audi, this would be a welcome draw of attention to their diesel market and a much more luxurious competitor to the wedge-like Toyota Prius – the perfect runabout for green-focused, higher income earners and TDI enthusiasts alike.

This would be great!!!
    don
  • nomowhalenomowhale Member Posts: 17
    Don, after I bought my 2.0T A3 in June I emailed Audi of America and suggested they take their 2.0TDI engine from the new Jetta and put it in their A3 for the US market. The Jetta and the A3 are about the same weight. I received a call back from Audi of America and the representative said nothing has been finalized yet except the Q7 diesel and A4 diesel. I hope they bring the engine to the A3. However, if the don't offer the 6 speed manual they will lose my business. All I know is my next car will be a diesel hatchback unless the cost premium for the diesel can't be returned over a reasonable amount of time. I am eager to see what fuel efficient, performance cars become available over the next few years. A few possibilities have grabbed my interest for my next car--Fiat 500 Abarth, Ford Feista, Ford Focus (European), Mini Cooper D, A3 TDI, Suzuki Swift Sport, BMW 120d or 123d. Who knows if any of these will become available in the US. Time will tell, but the future looks interesting.

Larry
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    And how much do you think they'll ask for it? I just optioned 2.0T (of course has to be DSG) quattro with s-line, sunroof and convenience. $37K MSRP! For that much I could have stripped 328xiT with manual, which I prefer by the way! They must be on crack :sick: Granted, I would need a fe grand more for options on the Bimmer, but it would be a bit larger, sweet six-in-line, better depreciation, etc. I just don't get that line of pricing. The base versions are indeed OK, but some of those options are really excessive, to say the least.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I couldn't agree with you more. The car is overpriced. The head of the Audi Dealers Association in the US said the car is not moving because it is priced 10% too high. Sales of the A3 are very weak this year. My car was a 2006 pre-owned so I didn't get killed. I was offered a 2008 base model at $2000 under invoice but I decided to go with the fully loaded pre-owned. If they bring the diesel and hold the line on price increases maybe the car will sell better. There are not many cars that are exact competition. The Mini really is not--different target market. I wanted the Mini but with two young kids and car seats it was a no go. I think the Volvo C30 is the only other luxury hatchback in direct competition with the A3. Bottom line--if you have $37K to spend I would definitely get the BMW.

Larry
    Is everybody who would like one, having as much trouble as us in ordering an A3 2.0T w/6 sp. manual and Sport Package? Audi America continually refuses to accept the order as apparently one or more items in the package is in short supply.
    Why will they not accept the order and activate it when the parts are available?
    Is it Audi of America or just your local dealer?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

The local dealer - Harper Audi, Knoxville, TN - tells me that Audi America will not accept an order that includes PPS - Sport Package with sport seats, sport suspension and 18" wheels w/225/40 performance tires. I have also been in DIRECT contact with "Malcolm", a Customer CARE advocate at Audi, who is telling me much the same thing. I would appreciate any help as I have been trying to get this car ordered since early June when the prices and option packages were announced.
    Thanks!
    They have probably stopped producing '08 models and started changing the factories over to the '09 specs. Have you tried ordering an '09 specced the way you want?

The order is for a 2009 model and I have been trying to get it approved since June!
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    My understanding from several dealers that there is not enough stock of A3s in the US as Audi is sending the A3 to more profitable markets. They are selling everyone they have. I guess it depends on the market.
  • ott666ott666 Member Posts: 1
    It's not the sports package problem but the wheels associated with them. I was told that the wheels for PPS and PDH are unvailable until further notice. Whether you can choose different wheels and still get those packages remain to be seen. Whether Audi will substitute the wheels in those packages are also remain to be seen.
    I heard the same thing. So which is true--overpriced or no supply? I am not sure. One thing I do know is that it is a great car. I wish I could get my hands on the TDI version. If what I read is true maybe late in 2009.
    I think it's a rare case of both. Overpriced, as they won't sell nearly as many as they might have hoped, but no supply as since they realize their sales will not be great at this price, they don't send many at the first place.

They probably gave up on idea of large sales (or at least those close to say they A4 model) already long time ago and are not very motivated to lower the price as it would hurt their bottom line. If they believe they can sell it profitably somewhere else, I don't blame them.

Similarly to BMW, Audi has a rhomboid sales model, rather than pyramid, where their largest volumes are created by far with midrange A4 and A6, not low-end A3. I don't think they believed in that car here, but decided to try anyway. US small car market is simply too hard for many. We want rock bottom sticker price, all the features, low financing and cash back on top.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I can't agree more that the A3 is not their focus here. You never see any advertising for the car. The A4 is their bread and butter. I was driving a 3 Series and a 5 Series the last few years, but I wanted smaller car with 4 cylinders that was a hatchback. My choices were severely limited in the quality of car I was looking for. It will take higher gas prices than were are used to over here and a continued bad economy for a car like the A3 to have a chance to become popular. But I am not sure if even that would do it. If price was so important to me I could have saved thousands and bought a VW GTI which is pretty close to the A3 but much cheaper. I guess I am guilty of going for the four rings on the car. I would be fascinated to see how a 1-Series hatch would sell over here.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Many A3's are built in VW factories, use the same basic chassis, the same drive trains as the GTI/Golf. What Audi does is add a few styling differences, tweak the suspension , engine mapping, and add extra colors and interior appointments.

Are the cachet of Audi' name, and the A3's differences from its GTI brother enough to overcome a high price and limited supply? If Audi is selling every A3 they bring over, then yes :)

Meanwhile, Audi R8's are sold out for years.
  • spwilsonspwilson Member Posts: 4
    Sure hope Don is right and the A3 TDI gets scheduled. It will be interesting to hear how the recent Audi Mileage Marathon came out as far as reactions to the diesel product was since they seem to have many models in diesel form represented. The website states the average mpg was:
    Q7 TDI - 27.6
    A4 TDI - 36.2
    A3 TDI - 44.6
    Q5 TDI - 31.8

With these numbers, hopefully the spectator reaction across the US was encouraging for the higher mileage models.
  • geewilliegeewillie Member Posts: 7
    Related to what your dealer told you about inadequate stock of A3s in the U.S., that is consistent with what I quote from in the latest Audi Club magazine article, "SHRINKING PAIN," quattro quarterly, fall 2008, p. 17: "According to Audi of America, sales of the A3 are not limited by market forces, but by supply. AoA sells every single A3 it gets. The car is in such high demand worldwide that the number sent across the pond [to North America] is rationed. Bearing in mind that Audi makes more money on the A3 elsewhere, it's hardly surprising that the A3 is not at the front of the line for extra volume. But try telling that to frustrated dealers."
    There has been buzz, before the current economic recession (oh, come on, let's call it what it is!), that AoA/VW was considering manufacturing in N.A. If not in Canada or the U.S., why not in Puebla, Mexico, where most N.A.-sold VWs are made? Frankly, I preferred my 98 VW Passat, made in Germany, to the other VWs of that era made in Puebla. Maybe it's snobbery, but that Passat still is in good working order (I sold it to a friend!). And I kept hearing woes from friends who owned VW Jettas, etc. (non-Passats) made in Puebla. Would Audis made in Mexico suffer from the same fate? Or would they help make Audi A3s more accessible to the N.A. markets of Mexico, Canada and the U.S.? Something I never hear about with VW/Audi or with Ford, another Puebla manufacturer, in helping to overcome the U.S. $ issue with the Fiesta and other Fords that might be more marketable now in the States and Canada.
    Lots to ponder, and with the economy in an uproar, all laid-out plans for Audi will likely change, too.
  • spwilsonspwilson Member Posts: 4
    According to this article in Automotive Magazine, it appears that Audi is green lighting the A3 2.0 TDI for 2010. Looks like a manual only transmission to begin.
    Hooray.
    http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/0901_2010_audi_a3_tdi/index.html
    Looks like a manual only transmission to begin.

You may have misread that article:
    Americans will only be able to get the A3 TDI with the S tronic (DSG) transmission and front-wheel drive.

That means no manual (aka foot clutch) and no Quattro. :sick:

• JLaw012JLaw012 Member Posts: 11
    37k? who spends that much on an A3? i got a brand new 2.0T 2008 prem pack 6 speed manual,charcoal for $25,000 and that includes it being delivered over 1000 miles. i almost got he Volvo C30 but the space was an issue and the price was well over the A3,
  • maz4maz4 Member Posts: 1
    I own and audi A3 tdi and over here in england they are not bottom of the range but and incredibly high priced mid range car due to the fact our fuel is overpriced. I have read complaints about fuel on this web site let me tell you lot over there you have no idea i travel about 50k a day and an average weeks fuel costs me about 15
    dollars how does that compare with you
  • allthingsaudiallthingsaudi Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 A3 a few weeks ago. I am really missing the features of the convenience package, such as auto lights and the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass. Does anyone know if it is possible to have this installed now that I own the car (in essence, after the fact)?

Thanks...
    Anyone have any information on how the weight is affected between the 2.0T and 2.0TDI and the 3.0TDI vs. the 3.2 V6?

Does the TDI add significant weight?
    COME BACK!!!!
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Word. It makes it awefully difficult to buy a car when no one is talking about it.

Most likely this is a combination of dealer availability and the economy.

Those who would buy one, can't find one, those who would want one (or any new car in general) cannot afford an A3.

:(
  • reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    I have an 08 A3 2.0T 6sp manual. White, S Line , Sky Roof . I love the car at 11,900 miles, a little over 10 months old. I regularly find people looking at it when I return to the parking lot from errands. When I valet it, I get tons of compliments. It is not a popular car here. The dealers seem to push the A4.

I had considered a Mini Cooper S, BMW 3XI Wagon and I even looked at the VW GTI. The Mini was just too small for my needs and the ride a little unforgiving on the local roads where I live ( Long Island NY). I liked the BMW but my perception was that the gas mileage would not be as good as the A3 and a manual transmission was hard to come by. Plus it was a good $10K more. This was going to be a second car for me and I had it in my mind I wanted the sporty feel of the manual transmission. The VW was not as "luxiourious" as the A3, the warranty in 08 was not as good ( I think they may have changed it for 09) and the flavor of the A3 was a little more mature and elegant while just as sporty.

The car is a great fun yet extremely comfortable for highway cruising. Very solid at high speed, car feels heavy but very agile. Plenty of power, great reving engine and handling. Since I am enjoying the car so much my gas mileage is not what it could be. I can't hold myself back from accelerating into turns and whipping around curves, especially when I am driving alone. It is capable of getting over 32mpg on the highway, I just counteract all the highway economy with pure joy of tooling around. It is almost as easy to park as a mini cooper but I can fit 3 passengers comfortably and I have plenty of trunk space.

Complaints? Yes but I can live with them. My tires are Conti's , they are suspossed to be quieter than the Pirellis. I feel they are fine on good pavement but when you drive on older concrete they can be noisy. I addressed it with the dealer and they told me it was normal for this car. The tires are wearing well. I wish the trunk/hatch were just a DROP larger or that the rear seats folded perfectly flat so I could put my dog crate in the rear. I would have 15K on the car if I could use it as much as I would like. Lastly, in a perfect world I would have awd instead of front wheel only so that on those snowy snowy days I could drive this car instead of my SUV. The handling in the snow is adequate but I live on a steep hill and the low profile tires ( even if they are all season) don't just cut it.

My overall experience has been wonderful and I highly recommend this car for enthusiasts who want performance without paying BMW prices. Happy Driving!
  • mtown75mtown75 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the A3 and I have an 85 lb labrador. Has anyone carried a dog this size around and is there sufficient room?
  • reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    I have a male golden and the Audi A3. If you plan to let him ride in the back seat there is more than enough room for a large dog. If you were planning on using a crate it will be a tight fit. I tried to put my crate in the hatch with the rear seats down and it was a very tight fit. Its a great car though!