Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

10 ply tires

burroakburroak Member Posts: 17
Anybody know of a good 10 ply tire with some
aggresive tread. Don't really need mud grips, but
would like an AT not a highway tread. Size would
need to be 285 75r 16. thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    There's plenty of tires in the size you want. I have a 1988 F-250 4X4 with about 150,000 miles on it - have been through plenty of tires. The best - bar none - were Bridgestones. Next best were BFG all-terrains. I now have Dunlop Rover RV's on it - maybe they'll be OK - have had to have them rebalanced several times. For some reason, they are riding OK now. If you want a tire that is not particularly smooth, but will last almost as long as your truck - look at the Firestones. All of these tires had similar A/T tread.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    what load range were thse tires? he was specifically looking for 10 ply (E range).
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I have never seen a 16 inch E range tire wider than 245 and I have been looking. What brand and where did you see a 265 E rated tire?
    Yeah - my tires are 235/85R/16 size. Those are widely available in any load rating you want, mine have always been E-rated. I guess they are still available because the new super-duty uses a similar size - there was a time when they were harder to find.
  • burroakburroak Member Posts: 17
    Anyone who has spent any time in heavy brush (such as South Texas) knows that 10 ply tires are less likely to get as many flats. 10 ply and load range "E" are the same. I have found many in the 265 75r16 size, but wuld like some in 285s or maybe even a 255 80r 16. The 255 80r 16 would give me the heigth that I am looking for without the width. Taller is better then wider for me.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    had an f350 at the time, racing dirt bikes all over Tx. Found low pressure and or bias ply tires as best for thorns. Not sure the E range was much benefit.

Why not try some big ol' bias plys like super swampers....
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    that many things can surpass the South/West texas thorns/rocks

they absolutely suck, Mesquite is the worst
    People say they have seen 265 E range tires but
    I've yet to see any brand and/or model given. I've checked the mail order adds and have never seen an E tire above 245. Can anyone be specific?
    Would you believe that my 1988 F-250 (4X4, 460 cid, 5-speed manual) has 150,000 miles on it - several sets of tires that have averaged only 25,000 miles per set, mostly due to the aggressive tread that I need - but I have never had a tire repaired on this vehicle. I live on very rough, jagged rock with at best some gravel, roads - rural New Mexico and have evened hauled a 2,000+ lb. camper up these roads. The tires have had rough chains on them more than once and worked real hard with those chains to get thru snow drifts (sidewalls matter a lot at this point). These have always been 10 ply rated, E load rated tires. They may not be real soft, but they do perform. Sometimes, I can't help but wonder about folks that buy trucks expecting them to work like trucks but ride like cars. Ford has come a long way on this battle - I love my 1999 F-150 - it is very tough, softer - but, the Ford tough engineering can still be felt. The old truck still does its job well and the original spec tires have always done a superb job.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    vince4,
    The 265 x 75 R16 E range are Firestone. Available on Ford SD from the factory.
    Rich
    I'll look and see if they are sold on the consumer market.
  • burroakburroak Member Posts: 17
    vince4

You should be able to buy them at any Firestone dealer.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    dodge has optional 265 10 plys on the 2500's. I think they are Michelins.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen". It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.