Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Century Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tommyg18tommyg18 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm having a problem with the heat in my 2000 Buick Century. Although I can't find evidence, I suspect I have a leak as I'm filling my antifreeze every two weeks or so. I've checked the floor mats to see if the issue is the heater core leaking, but like I said, no evidence to support this. The "low coolant" light goes on and off, seemingly at random and when coolant is low the heat cycles from hot to cold.
    Any suggestions??

Thanks!
  • evincent1evincent1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have some problems with my Buick Century, first, I live in Corona, which is important, because I took it to a local garage out in the Home Gardens area to get the cooling system repaired, and ever since I've gotten it back, I've noticed several things, my low coolant light comes on and then shuts off from time to time, and this is probably what has me worried, but I've noticed smoke coming from under the hood through my vents (I have to drive with my two windows that still work down so that I air the cabin out) and I also noticed that something is leaking inside the car, I don't know what it is, all I know is that is a greenish-teal color with dark particles/brownish stain to it, and it's really got me worried, and I don't know what's wrong? I thought the mechanics told me they fixed it?!!!?!? :mad:
  • elprezelprez Member Posts: 2
    hi y'all, i have a 1990 pontiac safari wagon w/a 3.1 6cyl engine - same as the buick century...135kmi...recently it began to hesitate and buck when backing off the accelerator...i had "woody" tuned up and the gas filter changed, but the problem persists and has gotten more dramatic...he has begun to idle roughly...would a 1990 have a engine diagnosis hookup...? if so would it be best to have a dealer track the problem... ?
    thanks for any advice,

steve clark
  • caroline2caroline2 Member Posts: 5
    You may have a head gasket leak. The way to verify it is to check to see if your oil level is high. This means your coolant is passing thru the gasket into the motor oil.
    If so, you need to get it fixed asap, as the engine bearings and other lubricated parts will burn up, and you will lose the engine. We had this happen to us with our Century about three years ago. I hope that is not what it is! Good luck!
  • tommyg18tommyg18 Member Posts: 2
    I checked the oil - you were correct, the level was very high. :cry: I'm having it looked at tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
  • gaillarrygaillarry Member Posts: 1
    My 94 Century 3.1 has developed a cold! In cold weather the starter solenoid won't work, just a clicking sound and the car has a brand new battery. If I jump the solenoid posts the car will start easily. Once warmed up the car starts with no problems, until I let the car sit and it gets cold.
    Do I have to remove the starter to remove the solenoid?
  • asmog13asmog13 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure you found the reset button by now, but this may help others. The reset button for a Buick Century 2000> is located in the fuse box inside the car. It must be held for 3 sec.
  • asmog13asmog13 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem. i switched my front tires to the back and it fixed the problem!
  • king82king82 Member Posts: 1
    Just had a ice storm and now my wipers are stuck in the upright postion. I change the fuse but the wipers are still
    stuck. What should I do?
  • shebailshebail Member Posts: 1
    According to the book my vehicle has a computer system
    that lets you know when to change the oil. Concern is
    I now have put 4,735 miles on my Buick 2003 that I bought
    about 6 months ago. Do I go ahead and do it or wait for this
    CHANGE OIL LIGHT to appear?
  • pops86pops86 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone help with a problem concerning my outside electric mirrors. They work intermitantly, so it is aggravating trying to set them after my wife drives the car. The fuse is o.k.,I do not want to tear into the door panels without an idea of what I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.
    Your owners manual probably answers your question, but for my '01 it says under no circumstances go longer than 12 months or 16,000 miles, if I recall correctly. I say let the computer do its job.
  • redbird48redbird48 Member Posts: 17
    I DON'T GET ON HERE MUCH ANYMORE BECAUSE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS ARE ABOUT BUICKS THAT ARE 10 TO 15 YEARS OLD AND SOME ELECTRICAL PARTS AND WINDOW PARTS JUST WEAR OUT WITH USE. THE ANSWER TO THE OIL CHANGE QUESTION IS HOW LONG DO YOU WANT TO DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT A MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEM ? IF YU LEAVE OIL...ANY OIL IN YOUR CAR FOR 16,000 MILES IT WILL HAVE PARTICALS OF CARBON FROM COMBUSTION THAT ACT LIKE LIQUID SANDPAPER GRINDING THE PARTS AND CAUSING MAJOR WEAR. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL AND FILTER AT 3000 MILES YOU WILL MINIMUM WEAR EVEN IF YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR FOR 20 YEARS. IF YOU KEEP THE OIL CLEAN AND NEVER OVERHEAT THE ENGINE IT WILL LAST A VERY LONG TIME.....MY 2 CENTS WORTH RED BIRD
    THE OIL CHANGE LIGHT IS SET TO COME ON AT 7500 MILES AND THAT IS IMOHO 4500 MILES TOO LATE. KEEP THE OIL CLEAN AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.
    GET A CAN OF CANNED AIR THAT YOU USE FOR COMPUTES AND BLOW THE SWITCHES OUT. THEY COULD HAVE DUST AND GRIME ON THE CONTACTS. ALSO IF YOU HAVE THE WINDOWS CRACKED IN A LIGHT RAIN WHILE SITTING STILL WATER WILL DRIP INTO THE WINDOW AND MIRROR CONTROLE BUTTONS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE.
    IF YOU TURNED THE WIPERS ON WHEN THEY WERE FROZEN TO THE WINDSHIELD YOU MORE THAN LIKELY BROKE THE TRANSMISSION GEARS EING AS HOW THEY ARE PLASTIC. YOU MAY HAVE CRACKED OR BROKE THE PIVOT ARM THAT WORKS THE WIPERS. LOOK UNDER THE HOOD IN THE CENTER OF THE CAR WHERE THE PASSENGER WIPER IS CONNECTED TO THE CARA FOR CRACKS OR DAMAGE. IF YOU NEED PARTS ITS DEALER OR WRECKING YARD OLNY TO GET PARTS.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    Last fall I had a tranny fluid change in my 98 Century and was told the swaybar is broken and needs to be replaced in 6 months. Otherwise it might damage the boots. Is that true (the boots I mean)? As I use the car for about 4000 miles a year only I felt safe...
    I was quoted "Front Swaybar w// links $352". Another thing to be done is "right rear trailing arm with alignment $ 236". those are 2006 prices and it might be more now. As my car has a trade in value of $280 (Edmunds) to $ 1100 (KBB) I don't feel like sinking in that much money especially since before winter I need to replace at least two tires and the wiperfluid pump does not work anymore. The car has 138000 miles and gets 17 mpg, as soon as I can afford payments I want to get rid of it, but plan on keeping it as long as possible as it is cheap in insurance and with the few miles I'm driving mileage is not such an issue.
    Do I need to replace the sway bar, can it really cause more damage if I don't? The car drives like an old-grandpa car but is fine for my 2.5 miles work trip. All maintenance (spark plugs, tranny, coolant..) is current and the car would only need oil changes in the future 2 years. Oh, it is dripping some oil.
    If I keep it over the next winter, do I need to perform that "right rear trailing arm with alignment $ 236" repair when I get new tires? They said the tires would wear unevenly. But the current ones are just worn out all over. And if I keep the car for 2 years maximum, for the 8000 miles it will live that does not seem to matter.
    As soon as some nicer small cars with all safety features come out I plan to buy. All 4 things to fix will (sway bar, rear link, wiper pump, 2 tires) will cost me as much as the trade in value is. And I'm afraid that as they start working on the car they might find more. Is it safe to only replace the tires before winter and it won't fall apart before next year? Or should I get rid of it? Ideally I keep it until it ends its life as it does not cost payments and won't depreciate anymore. Is the oil leakage a problem? It seems to be 10 ml on my garage floor in the last months. It seems to be the engine as it looks oily below.
    I could afford new car payments or leasing for $300 a month, but feel as long as the buick repairs stay below that I keep that.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If they mean that the swaybar has broken loose and might touch the axle joint rubber boots, then just take the sway bar out completely. The car will lean over more (but if the sway bar is actually broken in half, it's already leaning over) but at least it will be out of the way. Most sway bars come out with just a couple of bolts.

The rear trailing arms might affect rear wheel alignment somewhat but considering how little you drive, you could take a long time to wear out a rear tire, and even another new tire is cheaper than the repair by a long shot.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the hint. I will have them take it out then. The car rides like a camel anyway. (our main car is a Mazda 3 , compared to that it really is bad :-). I suppse the $350 they quoted me included a new swaybar, I hope taking out the old one will stay below $100. I suppose it poses no risk considering I'm fine withe unstable driving it has always had. (which might be a Buick thing anyway, it drives better than a Kia Rio with 30,000 miles we have at work, even with broken swaybar :-)
    Redbird48, thanks for the info. I'll try it out and let ya'll know.
    I certainly have no problem with changing oil as often as anyone likes, but in my opinion 3000 miles for my vehicles is a little too soon. The oils and filters are so much better than they were back in the 60's and 70's. I change the oil in my vehicles as recommended by the maker, anywhere from 5000 to 7500 miles, changing the filter with the best filter, any of the major oil brands, and have gotten well over 200,000 miles per vehicle. As mentioned by others, keep oil/filter changed, especially in dusty/sandy conditions, change the AIR FILTER regularly, do not allow the vehicle to run low on coolant, and these engines these days will last many years.
  • borisbuickborisbuick Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem for my Buick 99. Have you got the answer?

Regards,
    Boris
  • fmroczkafmroczka Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone help me with my wife,s 2001 Buick Century. I have checked the coolant both in the radiator and the overflow container, and both are at proper levels. I.m thinking this could be a sensor, and if so where is it located and is it easily replaced? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
    If Diesel engine, do not do this, or check approval for use if new diesel engine. May not be approved for rotary or diesel engines. Check owner manual first. Check it out first!
    I just want to say that we switched to all synthetic oil, and cannot believe the difference in the mileage and overall performance of our car (1996 Century.) I believe this applies to all vehicles, except diesels and rotary engine. You can buy it by the 5 qt. container. Do not be fooled by the difference in price. In my opinion, you will save in the long-run. The engine runs much cooler thru the summer, even when sitting idle in 95 degree weather, without "asphaltizing the oil". This is true in cold weather as well. Engine will last longer and endure more. Lubricity is awesome, and oil changes are fewer. My husband first learned about it in industry on heavy equipment and we finally tried it on our own car. We will never go back to petroleum based oil. Oil changes last longer but they are so important. Ideally, you do not want to see the oil light, or the come on. Also, before trips and with oil changes, we are adding the fuel injector/carburetor cleaner. Mileage has improved 25% since we bought our vehicle, and that is after 165k miles. Running better than ever! The synthetic is compatible with the petroleum based, so you can add to engine either way. A good rule of thumb is to change your oil every 3k miles, but you can last longer with the synthetic between changes. With the price of gas, you need to consider changing. Nothing you read about it is gimmicky! Had we not changed, we could not have made the trips trips that we have made in the last few years. Please read about it first and use your own judgement.
    You could have thermostat failure. Generally a simple, low cost fix.
    Thanks for your feedback. I want to know the locations for this thermostat and if I can fix it myself.
  • rockyfanrockyfan Member Posts: 1
    Good morning, I have a 2001 Century, just purchased from family member two weeks ago, it has since been driven over 3,000 miles, I got stuck in traffic and noticed the temp gauge riding up a bit, not past the middle but up enough to cause me concern,, I simply lowered the windows and put the heat on full blast till traffic eased. When stopped for the night I noticed the coolant overflow was at a proper level but the coolant looked kinda thick, I removed the radiator cap and it had grey goo in the throat.. I checked the oil and the level was good, and there was no sign of water/coolant... I purchased radiator flush and I am going to clean out the system,, but I can't find the drains, should I just remove the radiator hose (lower) and deal with it? Suggestions?? Thanks In Advance...
    ROCKYFAN.....GO TO MESSAGE #98 AND #99. THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME AND AFTER THE FLUSH AND ABOUT 20,000 MILES LATER I HAVE NO OIL IN THE RADIATOR. I CARRIED MY CAR TO A QUICK LUBE AND HAD THEM TO DRAIN ENOUGH COOLANT OUT TO PUT THE BOTTLE OF CASCADE IN THEN BLED THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM WITH THE BLEED VALVE. AFTER I DROVE IT FOR A FEW DAYS I DRAINED IT AGAIN AND FILLED IT BACK UP WITH DEXCOOL. HOPE THIS HELPS. ABOUT THE DRAIN PLUG NOW I COULD FEEL IT , BUT COULD NOT SEE IT UNLESS THE CAR IS ON A LIFT. THAT'S WHY I CARRIED IT TO A QUICK LUBE.
  • elprezelprez Member Posts: 2
    hi y'all, i have a 1990 pontiac safari wagon w/a 3.1 6cyl engine - same as the buick century...135kmi...recently it began to hesitate and buck when backing off the accelerator at highway speed...i had "woody" tuned up and the gas filter changed, but the problem persists and has gotten more dramatic...he has begun to idle roughly...would a 1990 have a engine diagnosis hookup...? if so would it be best to have a dealer track the problem... ? the wagon is in puerto rico and i am going to visit it soon and would love to eliminate this problem...
    thanks for any advice,

steve clark
  • pribblec83pribblec83 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with my blinkers. They come on, but stay solid, no blinking. Before they stopped blinking completely, they began getting really slow about a month before they died. I'd say, 1 blink for every 10 blinks normally. Anyway, I was just wondering what the problem may be. Is it possibly the bulbs? or does this sound more like an electrical problem?

Any help is most appreciated, since I have to get my car in order to pass inspection :)
  • doggaldoggal Member Posts: 17
    Hi:
    Same car, same year.Had the same problem last year (first slow blinking, then no blinking), but only one side. Took it to Pep boys and all they did was replace the bulb and it worked fine after that. Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
  • curtis_lyoncurtis_lyon Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I have a 96 Buick Century. None of the light are working! Well the blinkers are but thats IT! No head lights, tail lights, brake lights, interior lights? Nope not those either! I've got NOTHING! I have tried resetting the computer, replacing the head light switch, andchecked all wires. Nothing has fixed it. Has anybody else had this problem? What would fix it? PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU!!! :confuse: :sick:
  • ripsrips Member Posts: 3
    The heater/air conditioning fan squeals like crazy so she can't even use it. The dealership claims they would have to tear the dash apart to fix it and it will cost hundreds of dollars which she does not have. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to repair this?

Thanks,
    Rips
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a bad or "dry" bearing in the "cage fan" that forces air around. If you can somehow at least reveal the cage, you might be able to lubricate the shaft that the fan spins around; otherwise you'll have to excavate like the dealer says. You or someone needs to crawl under there with a flashlight, and maybe you'll be lucky enough to be able to wiggle a can of lubricant with a long "straw" attached, and soak that shaft.

Even if you do manage to lubricate it, it might need to be done periodically. Sometimes you can remove or unsnap various panels to get a better shot at that heater cage.
  • johnnyspotjohnnyspot Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with wipers frozen to the windshield...

Did you figure out your problem?

I thought the guts of the wiper/turn signal lever shorted but that was not the problem. Now I am wondering if it is the switch in the steering column or the wiper motor or somewhere in between...

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
  • joejbjoejb Member Posts: 4
    I have This Exact problem on my 2000 Century. All dash lights are OK except the odometer/gear select indicator
    is invisible. I tried to follow the discussion thread
    and see no help. Please, has anyone had this problem and
    knows the fix?
  • ginahillginahill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Century that does the same thing. Were you able to have the problem corrected? Thanks.
  • kneeachekneeache Member Posts: 5
    I had exactly the same issue. To access the fan on the Century, remove the underdash panel on the passenger side of the dash. You can then see the fan motor, and it is held in by 3 bolts (10mm, I think). Then the whole thing drops down into the passenger compartment floor. I lubed the fan bearings, and cleaned everything up, and it helped, but then replaced the whole thing with a motor/fan
    assembly from Ebay for 20 bucks. Been working fine ever since. I kept the old one in case the new one dies.
  • rangerironrangeriron Member Posts: 1
    My passenger side front signal keeps working then not working. It will work one day for a while then stop working. Then another day it will not be working then all of the sudden it will work again. I checked the fuse and its not that. Anyone know where i can check the connection or have any other ideas.
    Replace the bulb... It may be going bad. Hopefully that's all it is.
    HELP! Started my daughter's 95 Century last February only to discover that she had left the wipers on and that they had frozen to the windshield.

There was a tiny puff of smoke that came from the turn signal lever (multi-function switch). I have replaced the lever and everything works except the wipers. Checked the fuse in the fuse box and it is good.
    Then I removed the wiper motor to make sure that the linkage wasn't stuck and tested for power to the motor. It doesn't seem to be getting any power. Had to remove the motot to get at the harness plug on the bottom. Does the motor need to be mounted to test for power? Is there another fuse in this circuit?
    Can someone give me a suggestion on where to look next? Could the problem be in the switch inside the steering column? I am ready to throw the towel in and take it to a pro!
    Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    JOhn
  • gsharp1gsharp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Century that has a strange problem. When I turn the ignition to start the car, the drivers' window will automatically go down! This happens every time, and when I try to close it, it just inches up a little at a time. I'm gettin' wet here!
    Help!
  • blackrose1109blackrose1109 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem couple of weeks ago. I found www.autopartsway.com, called them and they gave me a great advise. I got the lubricant from them and it works great. You should try them. Try them for your auto parts
  • dhanndhann Member Posts: 1
    Did any one every find out what the problem was with century's digital odometer when everything works but the gear shift and odometer light?? dhann
  • gmabcdgmabcd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 buick century and the power windows are no longer operational. I checked the fuse, but it is still intact. Any ideas what could be keeping them from working and what steps I can take to repair?
  • gmabcdgmabcd Member Posts: 2
    My bad. I meant power MIRRORS! Please help!?!?
  • edbeardedbeard Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Buick Century, 100,000 miles, 3.1 liter engine. The service engine lite is on. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts to get the codes read. They said that the EGR Valve has insufficient flow. I replaced the EGR Valve and per their advice tried to clean out the pipe from the EGR Valve to the exhaust manifold with brake cleaner. But the service engine lite is still on, and their code reader still hits for the EGR Valve having insufficient flow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The code on their print out is P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient.

Thanks
  • edbeardedbeard Member Posts: 2
    2000 Buick Century, 100,000 miles, 3.1 liter engine. Took the car to Advanced Auto Parts to get the codes read because the service engine lite is on. It hit for Torque Converter CKT Performance or Stuck Off, code P0741. On their suggestion I changed the automatic transmission fluid and filter. I had the battery disconnect while changing the fluid and filter. The service engine lite is still on, and their code reader still reads the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • phoenixbarbphoenixbarb Member Posts: 6
    It's a fair price and if you are in a city where highway driving is a must then it's a good buy. The KBB seems high though because I bought my custom 00Century in 2005 for $4,500 and KBB was about the same. This was under good condition...did you put excellent? Yours has more features and the miles for a 6 1/2 year old car is relatively low.
    It's a great car but have him install a new windshield....NEW...not wrecking yard for the same price.
    00Centuries have trannie possible problems and there are 3 or 4 recalls, seat belts and more small things but one is rear drum/bolts...can't remember but go to gov't recalls on cars online. You can always have the recalls done when and if you buy the car. How many owners have there been?
    Let me know what you decided.
    Phoenixbarb
    Yes. I have this problem been fixed. I changed the highlamp switch which is the one to control the light from min. to max. and is located on the driver side and beside the odometer. In my case, the digital odometer background light and the shift lights were not working.