Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 400h and 450h

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "BTW...speeds...at 60 mph, you'll get about 28 mpg...65 mph you'll get around 26.8 mpg...at 70 mph, you'll get in mid 25s...at 75-80 mph, you'll get in upper 24s...I had over a 1000 miles to test this, so you can be sure the range is somewhere around this..."

Man, I wish Honda would reconsider Hybridizing the CR-V. I get 22 in town, 27 MPG at 75 MPH, and about 29 at a steady 65 MPH. A hybrid CR-V would really shine....

Yup, before you lucky Lexus owners mention it, these cars are in a different class, and we know which one has the luxury!
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Thank you for keeping the posts coming...Very helpful for us that follow in your footsteps Tony
  • headlessheadless Member Posts: 50
    Oh yeah...I found that using air conditioning dropped the mileage numbers down about 1-1.5 mpg...that was with air around 72 degrees with outside temp. at around 85 degrees...

Cyclone, I don't know how you're getting your car up to mid/upper 30s...the highest my car would even consider going is 33.1, and this is with stop and go on I-95...the electric motor does run down after what, about 15 minutes of stop and go, and the gas motor has to kick in to replenish it...when this happens, your fuel economy drops significantly...the 31 mpg is factored in with this in mind...the car is made to kick in the gas motor automatically, so if you were coasting downhill the whole time, you could've gotten up to the numbers you said as the electric motors would be replenished...however, if you were mostly level, sooner or later your gas motor would've had to have kicked in...and that would occur again and again...about every 15-20 minutes...

Right now my car registers 28.3 mpg...that's about 150 miles, only 1 trip to office and back...it looks like the engine is breaking in a little now...most of those miles were road miles though...around 68 mph...longer trips are better for this car...

I found that at nighttime, when the air dropped to upper 60s, the mileage was better than in the daytime at 84-86 degrees...even if you figure in consideration for A/C...

Headless
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Headless,

All I can tell you is that the computer calculations are not lying. In my testing period last Friday, I was not driving for an hour at a time or anything like that. It was basically 10-20 minute intervals between stops (ignition off). But this should not give me better gas mileage should it? Afterall, there is the "dreaded" warm-up period involved here with more frequent stops, although a couple of the stops were only for just a few minutes. One would think that the warm-up periods would have at least the same negative effect as continuing to drive for an hour or more and the gas engine occasionally kicking in. By the way, I'm not sure I understand why or if the gas engine turns on regardless every 15 minutes if the battery is getting recharged due to stop and go conditions. Am I confusing the battery characteristics with the electric motors characteristics here?

I guess I will have to drive for longer intervals in the city and see if there is a major difference in the mpg as compared with short intervals of driving. All I can tell you right now is that I am "tickled pink" at the results to this point. I have not yet done extensive testing on the Interstate. Afterall, this is my wife's vehicle ;-).
    Cyclone, if you sit in traffic for a while, the traction battery will run down...that's what is powering your vehicle, through the electric motors...being the car will not let the battery run out, the ICE will have to kick in to charge it...this will run your ICE for several minutes at a time, running down your mileage...this is where the 31 mpg comes from...I got up to 33.1, but in most cases, the battery running low due to constant battery use to accelerate the car will force the ICE on...thus, limiting mileage numbers...31 looks right...

Don't get me wrong though, over 30 in traffic is double almost every other SUV...

When you're coasting around in a parking lot or 15 mph zone, the battery will recharge...but in stop and go traffic, the battery does not recharge...the ICE has to kick in...and it will...

Headless
    If what you say is correct, then why was I getting mid to upper 30s in stop and go traffic? The battery does recharge when coasting and breaking which is frequent in stop and go traffic. It was a total of 19.7 miles in stop and go traffic.
    Actually, in heavy stop and go there is usually not enough coasting to recharge the battery...if you sit still for any period of time, the battery is running and draining...when you go to 5 mph and then stop again...if there isn't enough coasting room for any period of time, the engine has to kick on sooner or later!

I was in bumper to bumper for probably 1 hour on 2 different occasions...the engine probably kicked on, oh, I'd say 3 times in each of those hours as the battery charge went very low...to purple bands...reason is because if you accelerate and coast only a little, then stop again, the battery gets drained...

Don't forget that coasting at low speeds does very little to charge the battery...not too efficient...even regenerative braking only saves, what, about 10% of the energy...I know a toyota engineer...I'll have to ask him specifics on this...sure your screen will show green arrows, but it's not very efficient compared to the battery moving the vehicle...not a 1:1 regeneration rate, for sure!

Either way, you'll find that when you're in traffic for any appreciable period of time, the battery will run down...there's no way to avoid this...there is not a balance between battery drain and charging while in traffic...the draining will win out...if it wasn't this way, the EPA would've found mileage in the city in the 50s or more...and it didn't...

Headless
    I cannot say that I was in bumper to bumper traffic. But I had to stop on numerous traffic lights. I did have several decent intervals of coasting or going at about 35-40 mph. I had a few 5 minute intervals when I actually averaged at least 60 mpg incredibly enough. Thus, maybe I was in ideal conditions to get great gas mileage. But this is the way it usually is in our city of just under a half a million metro area population. In any case, we both now agree that this vehicle will at the very least produce the EPA estimates.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Don't get me wrong though, over 30 in traffic is double almost every other SUV.."

But not double the MPG of the CR-V (same size), Subaru Forester(smaller), or RAV4 (smaller), I think you mean mid-size or heavier?
  • mirexmirex Member Posts: 68
    I just test drove the 400h and mine is about 3 months out. When driving between Seattle and Portland in my RX-300 I get just over 25 mpg on regular gas. I have heard that the 400h will run on regular, but will get better performance and mileage with premium. What grade of gasoline did you use on your recent trip?
    I use only 87 octane for now...after I hit about 2500 miles, I may switch to 89 for another 2500, to compare...

Is Cyclone using 89?

The car may do a bit better with 89...I'm still experimenting with the vehicle, so 87 it will be for some time...the car only needs 87...

Headless
    Yes I am using 89 Octane (10% ethanol). Ethanol where I live is 10 cents cheaper than regular unleaded and 20 cents cheaper than premium. For example the cost for ethanol blend the past week or so has been steady at $1.97.9 per gallon the past week or so.
  • dukeofurldukeofurl Member Posts: 5
    I drove my RX400 from the Valley to Palm Springs over the weekend, a round trip journey of somewhat under 200 miles, and averaged a bit over 26 mpg, mostly with the AC on. I used 87 octane, but just refilled with 89 (not ethanol, and only 10 cents a gallon more in LA if you shop around for it). I'll report back if I notice any significant difference in performance or mileage. Since my daily commute is 7 miles each way and the first 5 minutes on a cold engine are averaging around 20 mpg, I think it will be a long time before I can recoup my investment in this car by gallons of gas saved. But even if the savings are going to be modest, let's face it. If conscientious consumers don't step up to the plate and buy hybrids, the auto makers aren't going to invest. This is about putting your money where your principles are, not just saving a couple cents a gallon. Besides, from the front, the 400 is considerably sharper looking than the 330!

Thanks for whoever advised getting the Motorola V551 phone for Bluetooth compatibility. What cell providers use/sell this model?

BTW, am I the only one who has taken somewhat of a dislike to the nav system's tone? She's got a bit of a midwestern operator intonation -- reminds me of an uptight aunt in Skokie. On the other hand, the French voice is sooo sexy! I just wish she was speaking in English -- can't say I understand a damn thing she says...
  • pinzabupinzabu Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

The Car: I usually keep cars around ten years, drive around 12,000 miles a year.. This is my first Lexus, just came out of a Volvo. Picked up the Rx400h two days ago and love it. Already getting 26.0 mpg. mixed highway/city. Very sweet. Purchased the car outright, did not lease it.

Background: The dealer offered a number of additional finanical 'products'.
    One was an extended warranty also called vehicle service agreement for 2260$ that extends the warranty to seven years/100,000 miles. If not used, it is 100% refundable.

Question: Did anyone else buy this, or decide not to buy it? What would be the pros and cons?

Other products were ding shield, road hazard, road block = clear coat.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance. L
  • fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    BTW, am I the only one who has taken somewhat of a dislike to the nav system's tone?

I always thought it'd be nice tension-reliever to be able to switch it into "snarky" mode. Something like, "Look. Who's the navigator here? Now you missed your turn!" or something with real intelligence, "This obviously isn't working, take the next right and I'll get you out of this mess." Want to bet it isn't coming?
  • vdocvdoc Member Posts: 23
    As long as we're talking about sounds, does anyone listen to AM on the standard issue audio system? I did not spring for the 980.00 Levinson audio figuring that the type of systems they usually put in luxury cars are excellent anyway. I'm a big fan of talk radio but the AM stations on the standard issue audio come out with almost a muffled tone, no crispness at all and adjusting the bass and treble doesn't seem to make much difference. I had the standard audio system in my last car (Acura) and even the AM was quite crisp. Anyone else out there listen to AM and noticed the same thing?
  • vdocvdoc Member Posts: 23
    Was struggling with the same issues headless has been reporting on. Things are getting better but I still think there's room for improvement based on what's being reported in this column. Two things I've done that seem to be making a difference: Even though it's pretty hot down here, I set the A/C up to 73 degrees from the usual 70 and because the A/C works so well in this car it's still quite comfortable. Also, I switched to regular gas ( 87 octane) and almost immediately the avg mileage went up by 2 mpg. I called the dealer and told them that but the service manager still insists that it will do better on mid grade. Still, I'm averaging at right around 25 mpg for combination highway 65-70 mph and city (Short runs 3-10 miles at a time). I'm also noticing that the electric is running (subjectively) more than it had been.

At this time I have a little over 1000 miles on the car. Perhaps that has something to do with the better mileage but I'm still not entirely satisfied. I would have been happy with the 25 had I not gotten involved with this forum. But hearing everyone else's report, I still yearn for more.

Yeserday I noticed on the energy schematic that the displayed battery charge level was green, something I had never seen before. It lasted about 10 mintues but after I made a stop and restarted the car, it lasted about 15 seconds and I I haven't seen it since. For the whole time I've owned the car, it has always been just a few bars of blue, never green. What is everyone's experience on this? Could the lack of a full battery charge be influencing my mileage? :cry:
    I never buy the extended warranty. I will probably keep my 400h for 5-6 years which will be prior to the battery warranty running out. My son has my original Lexus (1992 ES-300) and has not had any major mechanical problems in 100,000 plus miles. Lexus makes good reliable cars.
  • mzuckermanmzuckerman Member Posts: 12
    Mine goes green occasionally. I try coasting, braking, etc. to get it to green but I haven't been able to make it get green. It has a life of its own.
  • mzuckermanmzuckerman Member Posts: 12
    yes I have the same problem. I toggle among front, back and all to reduce the muffle but it is always there on voice programs. Not so much on music.
  • jazzedjazzed Member Posts: 3
    Still deciding on whether to p/u the new lexus...

Hmmm... sounds like the initial complaints about mileage have been resolved...Anyways, I'd like to hear about performance for those who have been driving their car for a few weeks...so ignoring everything about the mileage, cause part of the appeal to this car was the additional power and luxury.... So how does it handle? Love it? Could be better? Is the cabin noise what you expect for this type of vehicle? Any issues/quirks that you find annoying? I'm familiar with their navigation system and think it's one of the better ones on the market...plus dukeofurls comment on the sexiness of the french voice isn't the first time I've heard that (my husband loves it too)... Thanks for any info, I need to make my decision by Friday so....
    As far as performance, if you drive like cyclone (sorry) or others, you'll never experience the feel of passing someone on the highway with ease...or the excellent cornering going on a highway ramp...

If you actually work the car a little, you'll find it to be faster than you can imagine...I've been very careful on how I drive to get the better mileage, but if you do that, you'll be cruising at 15 mph and you'll never enjoy the ride...you really do have to choose which one you want to focus on...performance or economy...

This vehicle accelerates crisply and responsively....the cornering is excellent...not as sweet as my BMW, but to be honest, it can hug the road...the car handles very well...I drove over 1100 miles this past weekend in total comfort...the car has lots of power should you opt to use it...it doesn't need any more...

I found that on the highway, if you need a quick acceleration to pass someone, there isn't much out there that will match the pickup...you'll get electric and gas kicking in to give you immediate torque to pick up some speed...will the mileage suffer...yes...but, it's nice to have the performance should you need it...

I'm averaging now a little over 26 mpg with a nice mix of coasting and driving like I want to enjoy driving...this car is too much fun to just coast around all day long at minimal speeds just to see the gauge hit 30 mpg...

I'm not trying to pick on Cyclone or anyone else, but after spending 1100 miles driving very conservatively to maximize mileage, it's nice to now try the performance end of things to see what this car has got! I can attest to the fact that the car will get the 27/31 claims...I can also attest to the excellent engineering and performance of the car...

Headless
  • louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    Can a few of you please pop over to the prices paid forum for the RX400h and let me know if you are paying MSRP. I know you can generally get a RX330 for close to the invoice price. Anyway, we were quoted MSRP plus fees for a 400h with Mark Levinson and Heated Seats ($50,705 MSRP and out of the door for around $51,300).

My wife REALLY wants this hybrid. She discounted several other vehicles because of gas mileage and their smog index. She ought to work for the EPA.

We can definately cover this price range, but I am a pretty tight with $$. I was hoping to find a 2004 RX 330 with ML stereo, Heated Seats, RES...basically with everything for around $40k. Someone help a newcomer to the luxury market realize what he is getting for his extra $12,000. (not to be cynical, but I am a tank commander in the Army, so please spare me the environmental benefits...I want to know what I am getting/saving for the extra dough).

Again, will some of you throw down your buying experiences on the other forum for me. Please include all "hidden fees" that I may not be expecting as well. The salesman just gave me the raw data, but I am sure he will start tossing more and more cost at me once I sit down at his desk! Finally, what kind of perks can I expect from the dealerhip. I have heard generally good things about Lexus, but do they usually do loner cars, free oil changes, free maintenance, etc.? ANY help is greatly welcomed!!! Thanks in advance.
  • jazzedjazzed Member Posts: 3
    We're paying MSRP $48535, plus $540 for heated seats, $980.00 for the premium ml stereo, 66 for wheel locks, $92 for cargo mats, $450 for tow hitch and $650 destination charge... Also in the rx330 the navigation is an extra...it's standard in this vehicle.
    Since there is a waiting list, there is no need for the dealer to get below MSRP...with that being said, why don't you forget the ML stereo...for 980.00, do you really need it?

I was one of the first at my dealership to get a vehicle...waited about a year for it...really didn't care about the ML stereo...

Lexus comes standard with Pioneer (or was it Pioneer Elite) equipment, which is 'good enough' for most...I consider my self an intermediate audiophile and I don't have many qualms with the Lexus stock system...it's not as nice as all my upgrades in my BMW, but, it's actually a little better than I originally thought...

If you're tight on money, get the vehicle and don't worry about the upgraded stereo....

As far as a cargo mat, get one! Heated seats are nice...I think every state but Florida and California get them!

As far as price over a RX330...what you are getting is superior performance and much better mileage...however, if you use all that performance, look for better mileage, but not by too much....this car is about 1 second faster 0-60...who cares, you might ask? Well, it's nice to have a luxury, performance SUV that gets good mileage...the 18 inch rims are nice as is the aluminum trim...a little more macho than the soccer mom looking standard RX330...

BTW, usually only your 5000 mile check-up is included...

Is it worth the extra money? I bought one, so I obviously thought so...for your wife, get the bamboo or other light color...for a guy, silver, flint mica, and black are the only ways to go!

Headless
  • hybrathybrat Member Posts: 13
    I think you'd be less likely to read and post to internet forums before and after purchase if you opt for the lesser but still very fine RX330.

What I am looking forward to with this car is that it allows you to both don your sandals and save-the-planet t-shirt to see how far you can stretch a gallon of gas or throw in your favorite CD, pin your ears back and see who you can take it to at the next set of lights.

I do have a question though of those lucky enough to have one as to how well the electric steering works and the CV transmission. When I test drove the RX330 I thought the handling and road awareness of the car were nearly on par with my BMW sedan. Is this lost with electric steering?
  • krellukrellu Member Posts: 31
    MSRP is the only way that you will get this vehicle.Good luck.You will enjoy it just like I and everybody else is.There are no hidden fees.
    My dealer said that when I am ready for the first oil change which is free by the way that I should call him.He in turn will make the appointment for me and the service/parts dept. will have a lexus tee-shirt and hat for me, complimentary.
    I know you are just trying to pick on me good naturedly, but I obviously need to do some additional explaining about my driving habits with this awesome vehicle. Basically, all the testing I have done to this point has been in city driving. So, what's the sense of trying to maximize the performance aspect of the car in the city stop & go traffic? Trust me when I tell you that I fully expect to take advantage of its performance on the highway when I need to. I am anything but a "slow poke" driver on the Interstates. In fact, unfortunately, I have gotten my share of speeding tickets over the years. We are taking a long trip to Dayton and Detroit later this month and I am really looking forward to the driving experience on that trip.
    All I can say about a $1,000 savings without the ML audio system, if $1,000 is going to make a significant impact on ones budget, then he/she should not bother to purchase the RX400 in the first place. In other words, if it really comes down to $1,000, then you cannot afford this car.
  • leemtleemt Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I'm waiting for a 400h and have not yet been notified that the dealer has it allocated to him. I was notified yesterday that my local Toyota dealer will let me have his first Highlander arriving the first of June. This will be my 4th RX if I get it, so I know all about Lexus quality.

These cars are built side by side in Japan and I have downloaded specs on both autos. My question is this; Is there any mechanical difference between the two, and if so can anyone point it out to me.

I am going to decide tomorrow which one to buy.
    Ladies and Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. It is extremely helpful. I can tell from a couple of posts that my question seems to elude to not being able to afford a 50k vehicle. Granted, this is quite a bit of money for a vehicle. Yes, I can afford it, but a rich man does not stay rich (or in my case, get rich) by spending freely.

MSRP to MSRP between a new, fully loaded RX330 and a 400h aren't too far off, but once you consider that many people are getting the RX330 close to invoice price...now our $2-4000 difference in price just became $6-8000. So, no I am not stressing out over a $1000 stereo...I am now talking about an extra $160-200 a month in car payments! ;)

A couple of you mentioned no hidden fees, so what type of admin and destination costs should I expect?

Great dialogue, keep it coming.
  • skyfish400hskyfish400h Member Posts: 27
    The drive train and electronis are identitcal (if you get the AWD Highlander) and both are built from the camery chassi, so both have the "potential" to handle similary...However, that's where the sameness ends.

The Highlander has less leg room since it is a 7 seater (5 + 2 little ones) and there is more of the cabin devoted to cargo in the back.

The suspension is not nearly as well tuned as the lexus. From what I've read it handels more truck like and the added wt of the hybrid system only makes that worse. The lexus on the other hand seems to have been desisgned with the weight of the hybrid system in mind from the time they went to the RX330 design.

The Highlander is slightly lighter weight (not as much as you might expect) which will garner better 0-60 times, but you pay on the corners, so as a driving machine the lexus is better still better. Now there may be aftermarket upgrades you can put on the Higlhlander to compensate, but you will have to wait and they will cost $$$.

For me the decision is comfort and preformace. I can afford them. I want them. I'm going to get them ;)
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    I'd like to drive them one after the other to see the difference. The Lexus is better looking too!
    One thing that my wife didn't care for was the slight different shape of the RX's hood as compared to the Highlander's. She, being used to a Camry, thought the hood dropped away a little faster on the RX than the (standard) Highlander, which leaves a short person with less of a feel of where the front bumper is.
  • markattymarkatty Member Posts: 9
    Talking about sightlines. How many people back-up by looking at the rear view camera vs. looking out the rear window? I generally check the screen to make sure the ground is clear behind and then turn around to back out.
  • rx400_ownerrx400_owner Member Posts: 59
    I use the camera plus the two side mirrors. I am short so in most cars I find good visability difficult with turning around - the headrest gets in the way and I can't pivot my shoulder over the seat back as a taller person would.

I find it really easy to get a broad view by sweeping the two mirrors and the camera screen. I can always check the rear view mirror if I want to see what's going on higher up behind.
    I'm a short woman too. Did your wife adjust the steering wheel when she drove the RX? The RX400h is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven because of the telescoping steering wheel. In most cars, I have to scoot the driver's seat so far forward that the steering wheel is somewhat to close so my arms aren't in the best position. Not terrible but not optimum comfort.

I don't think that is available on the Highlander - it isn't in the brochure. Back to the original question, a lot of the differences between the Highlander and the Lexus are comfort or luxury features like the telescoping wheel, the auto sensing windshield wipers, etc.

They've got me hooked now - I don't think I'll buy a car without a telescoping steering wheel again.

The RX replaced a full-sized van that we don't need anymore so I was already use to driving a vehicle with a short nose. When we first got the van, it did take a little adjustment but it wasn't that bad.
    I'm curious what state you are in. In California, they are only offering the RX400 with the ML stereo and heated seats. The only real choice here is rear entertainment (at least that is what the Lexus web site and three dealers told me).
    I am in South Carolina. I can get it with ML and HS. I would have to have the dealer install the rear entertainment. Quick question on that. The dealer here said for a few hundred more than the factory RES price, they would do dual headrest monitors. I had another dealer email me and tell me that these headrest monitors are safety hazards due to weight and interference with airbag deployment. Anyone else running into this. Also, does anyone have any feedback as to the quality of the headrest systems?
    Did your wife adjust the steering wheel when she drove the RX?

I have to admit she didn't adjust the wheel. I'm curious, though, how that would give you a better perspective over the hood. She could have tried the seat height adjustment; that may have done the trick.
    Telescoping the wheel doesn't change the view. You get use to the change in perspective - at least I did with our van and that was a lot harder car to drive. One can't see what is directly in front of the sedan hood either - especially if one is short.

The ability to change the distance of the wheel does make this much more comfortable for me to drive than other cars where the wheel is always to close.
  • frenchornefrenchorne Member Posts: 31
    Fizban, thought you might be interested in this post which describes a comparison of the two vehicles. The RX is definitely more adjustable for shorter people.

frenchorne, "Lexus RX 400h vs ?? Comparisons" #16, 7 May 2005 12:43 am
    I have heard from two different sources that the battery under the hood is much smaller than one found in non-hybrid cars and it will run out of power if the vehicle is not started for two weeks or longer.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so what does this battery power and what causes the drain when the vehicle is off?
  • jdtjdt Member Posts: 10
    I just got my 400h last week and it had a significant pull to the right. After several trips to the shop, it turns out they had used the numbers for the 330 on the alignment rack which aren't the same. It's much better now after using the correct settings for the 400h, but it still seems to take a good bit of effort to keep the car pointed straight on any kind of road crown. Since they gave me several 330s as loaners through the shop ordeal, I had a good chance to compare the handling. The author of message #1015 mentioned the low power steering boost compared to the 330, and I wonder if it's possible to adjust this upward on the 400h. Any ideas? Thanks in advance-
  • rocky7rocky7 Member Posts: 13
    I know there are those “dittohead” curmudgeons out there including on this forum who are discounting the value proposition of the RX400h.

Assuming the miles I drive here’s how the numbers RX 400h work compared to the 2005 RX 330.

Difference in actual delivered price from my dealer buying a car today. 2006 RX 400h vs. RX330. = $9,431.00 more for the RX 400h.

Gas savings over 3 years at $2.09 (Currently $2.25) assuming actual mileage is 2 mpg less than expected = $1479

Value of $2000 Clean Air Deduction = $700

Amount of trade in value after three years approximately 50%. Normally on the $9,431 difference that would return $4,715. When Lexus catches up demand discounting will occur. Assuming the same discount ratio will be the same as the RX 330, then allow only $2,357.

The RX 440h today is a 2006, the RX-330 today would be a 2005 and I understand 2006 RX 330 will not be out until sometime in Sept. Best comp to determined benefit of buying a 2006 RX 400h vs. 2005 RX 2005. Look at value today (5/05) of the 2003 RX300 vs. a 2002 RX300 both with same 36,000 miles. 2003 RX300 is worth at trade in value $2,051 more than 2002 RX300 with same miles base on trade in value today 5/05.

Total savings:

Gas Savings – 3 years = $1,479
    Tax savings - $700
    Additional trade in value return based on $9,431purchase difference after 3 years = $2,357

Total difference = $4,536.

If you do allow allow today for value difference between buying a 2006 400h vs a 2005 RX330 with the same miles at the end of 3 years from today, the 2006 400h will return an additional $2,051 in resale value.

Total difference = $2,485.

Mercedes and BMW customers pay approximately an additional $5,000 for a V8 vs. a V6. The RX 400h delivers the performance difference of a V8 vs. a V6.

If you allow for this $5,000, the total difference = - $2,515. Yes $2,515 less at end of three years for the RX-400h vs. the RX-330.
    I think there is something wrong with your 400h. I wonder if running with the wrong settings caused some damage or if the car still has something wrong. Ours drives like a dream. It goes straight with no problem. It isn't over-boosted, but it is easy to manuever and about the same as I recall the 330 that we test drove before the 400h came out.

Could you ask the dealer to test drive another 400h to see if it is the same as yours? Or maybe try one at another dealer.
    That is incorrect...if the car is kept in storage for over a month, you may have problems...but that can be the case for any car....

Otherwise, you don't have to worry about it too much...Lexus has addressed this issue and all is good!

Headless
    You're forgetting that the RX400h is a better, faster ride too! I recently test drove a 330 just to compare to my 400h...geeeez...no comparison...it was a slug!

Headless
    I thought I had a similar problem with my RX400h...it was pulling to the right...however, I wasn't in the left lane too much when this was happening...due to the banking of roads, the car will deviate based on the slope...

I found that, when in the left lane, the steering was a bit more true, or it actually deviated to the left...

So, before anyone complains of the car having bad alignment, please be sure to check it in both left and rightmost lanes...if it pulls to one direction both times, you likley have a problem...if not, probably not a big deal...

Also, if you brake and the car pulls, this could indicate a problem...I'd be suprised if a new Lexus has these issues!

Headless
  • krellukrellu Member Posts: 31
    2nd fillup netted me about 24.23 mpg for 276.4 miles, maybe a 50/50 mix city/hwy.The first fillup was 198 miles which got me 22.76 mpg. Now
    after the fillup say 53 miles the computer is reading 32 mpg,about 10city/43hiway.
    The car has approx. 545 miles . Tomorrow will be 3 weeks of totally happy ownership.No problems with steering or anything else.