Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 400h and 450h

Comments

• otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    while everything you said is correct, I suspect the primary reason to up the wheels to 18" was marketing. the 18's will help justify the added cost, improve the car's look, and reinforce the "performance" image of the suv.

Just enjoy the bling bling ;)
  • dukeofurldukeofurl Member Posts: 5
    Looks like all of the good Amazon deals on Bluetooth phones expire in a week ($150 rebates). Does anyone on this Forum have an opinion on the Sony Ericsson S710? Are there any Bluetooth phones that actually aren't working with the RX400? With over 1000 miles now, I'm ekeing out 23 mpg on the streets of L.A. Those short trips are killing me! :sick:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Smallish 12 volt "accessory" battery...

Recharged by alternator?

In that case running any 12 volt accessory, radio, heater blower, seat heat, lights, etc, will result in the 12 volt battery needing to be recharged fairly often.

Or maybe the RX400h has a DC-DC down-converter to maintain the 12 volt battery charge.

Anyone know?
  • rx400_ownerrx400_owner Member Posts: 59
    They have voltage conversion to produce 12 V power from the traction batteries when the car is powered. I'm not clear on whether they use that to recharge the current drawn from the 12 V battery when the car is off, but they don't have to continue to draw from the 12 V battery when the car is on.
    I've thought a bit more and I'm pretty sure there is no alternator in this car. The motor generator is the only thing that produces electricity from the engine.. 12 Volts for powering accessories and for recharging the 12 V battery has to come from the hybrid system.
  • alekseypalekseyp Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for naive question.

Does RX-400h CD-player play MP3 encoded CDs?
    RX-300 doesn't.

Alex
  • skyfish400hskyfish400h Member Posts: 27
    Not naive, I had the same question... the answer seems to be that Lexus is kinda behind the times in car audio (makes me question the value of the rear seat DVD package as well).

Not even the upgraded ML audio plays the MP3 format. If you want to play MP3s you will need to pay for the $400 aftermarket iPod addapter that taps into your OEM audio harness (and buy an iPod of course ;) . There is a link to the their website elsewhere in this forum. You coudl get one of those iPod car kits that use the tape deck or FM tuner for less money, but my guess is that the audio quality on those would be not as good.
  • dylan hixondylan hixon Member Posts: 44
    There are no belts, and no auxilliar drives or PTO's other than MG1 and MG2, so no alternator. It is one of the really nice simplifications achieved with the Toyota system. The 12V battery is charged by the hybrid system, but as I understand it, the traction battery (big batery) is disconnected when the key is off. Hence the danger of battery drain if the car is left alone for more than a few weeks.

As far as the engine running too much, I agree. Only in the highest state of charge, 7 or 8 green bars, can I get much electric only propulsion, and still at only very low power levels. If the car is rated at 268 hp, and the gas motor only makes 208 hp, the motors must provide at least 60 hp or about 45kW at peak output, but I never see the kW guage get far above zero in electric only mode.

I will be interested to try the EV mode modifiction, which inhibits engine start in the Prius below 43mph, below a power threshhold, and above a minnimum battery state of charge. I wonder if it will be made to work on the 400h.
  • dylan hixondylan hixon Member Posts: 44
    Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that you have to be a car expert to distinguish a 400h from a 330? Round foglights, additional air intake, bigger wheels?!? Part of why I waited all this time, and spent the extra cash, was to make a statement, but finding a 400h is like picking out a '70 mustang from a '69. This car is revolutionary, and it does not show at all. I'm not saying it has to look like a 4x4 Prius, but they could have done more.

I am generally opposed to bumper stickers and vanity plates, but I may have to give in so anyone besides another 400h owner knows what I am driving.

I had a chance many months ago to exchange emails with someone at Lexus US involved with marketing the 400h. When I asked about visual differentiation, I was told that their marketing studies showed that the target buyer did not want the car to be distinct, that it is a premium performance, flagship model, that happens to be a hybrid.

I think that they really missed the boat.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    MP3 audio quality is poorer than Redbook CD standard due to compression.

There is a way to get close to CD quality audio using an iPod. It requires having an Apple machine, iTune and iPod. All easy to do if you are familiar with a Mac.

When importing your favorite CD's into iTune, be sure to use "Apple lossless" import. This means iTune will not compress or throw away music information from the CD just to keep each music audio file small. Transport the lossless tracks to your iPod from iTune. Play back on the ML system in the 400h.

The iPod car kit via the tape deck is the cheapest solution but sound quality is definitely a suspect. We use this set up in our van and it sounds OK, never as good as our home system.

The best sound off the ML is still to use a Redbook standard CD.
    I like that it looks pretty much the same as an RX330. I like the look of the car and didn't want a difference just for the sake of difference.

I'm surprised how many people - even among my high tech friends - don't know what a hybrid is. Or the difference between and RX400 and an RX330. Even if there was a bigger difference, it would be lost on most people seeing you drive by.
    "If the car is rated at 268 hp, and the gas motor only makes 208 hp, the motors must provide at least 60 hp or about 45kW at peak output, but I never see the kW guage get far above zero in electric only mode."

From what I see on ours, it will run on electric only when the power meter is in the range where it is a dashed line and as soon as it goes into the solid line line region the engine comes on.

There may be reasons to switch from motor drive to engine drive even if the motor could supply more power:
    Battery life - for some battery technologies life is determined in part by the cummulative charge/discharge cycles. (Charging 10% and discharging 10% ten times counts as one cycle, so does charging and dicharging 50% twice.) I've seen a white paper on this for LiIon. I haven't been able to find out if the effect is the same for NiMH but it seems to be implied about some of what I've read.
    Effiiciency trade-offs - Electric drive is more efficient when the engine would have to operate at a less efficient point (very low RPM) to produce the power. All the power in the battery came from the engine. There are losses in converting the power and storing it. Once the power needed is in the range where the engine can operate efficientyly, then it is more efficient to draw it directly from the engine even if it is still in the range the battery and motors could supply.
    Battery availability for acceleration - some levels of acceleration are effiiciently produced by the motor(s) and engine operating together. If you run the battery far down running on engine only, then power may not be available for them to operate together to provide high power later.
  • markattymarkatty Member Posts: 9
    Dylan,

I totally agree with you. What Lexus has done by having only minimal exterior distinction is to reduce the RX-400 to an engine option on an RX-330. Looked at that way paying extra makes little financial sense. Yes, you will get a tax deduction next 4/15, and yes, you will get somewhat better gas mileage, but unless they can make the 400 more than just an engine option, its uniqueness will be loss and with it much of the resale value, which was supposed to be a reason to pay a premium for the 400.

In the three weeks I have had my 400 only one person, a 14 year old boy recognized it as a hybrid, everyone else thinks I have my mother's RX-330. The Lexus RX 300/330 has been Lexus' best selling model and here in the NYC suburbs they are a dime a dozen, rendering the small number of 400s invisible. Personally, I think the car is under-badged and needs several more not so subtle features to stand out as a "hot, must have" car.

None of the other hybrid engine options, the Civic, Accord, nor the Escape have done much in the way of sales, particularly compared with ICE versions. The Prius on the other hand has been and continues to be a "hot" car and at least for now so is the 400. The Prius has distinctive (albeit, somewhat quirky) styling and says all the things that a hybrid should. With Lexus' decision to not emphasize the uniqueness of the 400, they run the risks of it becoming just an expensive engine option. For a small segment of people an inner glow about their environmentalism will be motivation enough to buy it. Unfortunately, 27 mpg is not so much better that its going to become the Sierra Club's car of the year. Nor is its hybrid performance going to displace the Porsche Cayenne S let alone the Turbo.

So Lexus has a car with some environmental aspects, some better acceleration, some luxury and lots of invisibility. I am hoping their PR and Marketing department have something up their sleeve. I had expected a lot more promotion for a car with this much anticipation. They did get a great placement in the WSJ saying that Dustin Hoffman had bought one, but most of the articles have been about hybrids in general often with the Prius as the star.

As to advertising, a few of the local dealers mention you can come in and drive it, but no promotions (understandable, since they expect to sell the car at full price). Lexus national advertising has been minimal too. In fact the only thing I have seen is a two page "early Infiniti type" ad in the WSJ. Both pages were blank except the top right that said something like "A list of all the Luxury Hybrid SUVs" and in the bottom right of the right page was a small picture of a 400. Toyata seems to be resting on their Prius laurels and their record profits. (What other company would say they were going to raise prices to help out the ailing US manufacturers.)

I really do like the car it does a lot of things right, but being invisible is not one of them. Lexus may be right that their target audience really only wants a Lexus, and is not interested in distinctive styling, but I have found it disappointing to be lumped in with the more sedate Lexus SUV crowd. I'd jump at an after-sales badging package whether from Lexus or someone else.
  • mirexmirex Member Posts: 68
    I play my ipod-mini wirelessy through my audio sytem in my RX-300. It sounds fine to me.
  • shackmanshackman Member Posts: 9
    I for one am thrilled to hear that the RX 400h resembles the 2005 RX 330. :surprise: I absolutely love the styling especially of the rear view and thought that the RX 400h did not have those great crystal back lights that the 2005 RX 330 has. Just today I saw several 2005 RX 330's and told my wife that I wish the RX 400h had the same back view. She asked me if I wanted to change my order and buy the 2005 RX 330 and I had to think twice before answering. You all made my day!! :shades:
  • pinzabupinzabu Member Posts: 11
    Did anyone purchase the extended warranty? I keep my cars 8 - 10 years. Thoughts on this or any of the other options/products offered at purchase? :confuse:
    We bought the 7 year 100 k mile one after the dealer knocked a few hundred off the price. I hope it turns out not to be needed. I normally wouldn't buy one especially for a Toyota or Lexus product. My Camry has about 200k miles and has needed almost nothing other than the normal wear and tear repairs (e.g. brakes).
    One of my reasons for the decision was the number of electric motors in the car. A lot of the talk seems to be about the batteries or the hybrid control electronics which are already covered out to 100 k miles anyway, but over the years the non-automotive electric motors I've owned have been relatively high failure items. Since this car is so new and even Prius hasn't been around long enough to have a good idea of the repair rate for these items, the extended warranty seemed like a good idea.
    Do any of you have a T-Mobile GSM phone that has hooked up to the RX400 bluetooth well?
  • phil15phil15 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me how much noise you should hear from the engine when it starts coming off the battery? I can hear the engine kick in especially when sitting
    at a traffic light & taking off. I also notice in the morning when backing out of my driveway on battery then the engine kicks in very rough noise at the floor board
    at the left foot rest. not as noticeable when driving around town in normal stop & go traffic, only from a stand still. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from this vehicle. Last car was a RX330
    I don't notice anything like that with mine.
  • rvckidrvckid Member Posts: 1
    I have a T-Mobile GSM Blackberry/phone. It was easily synched with my new 400h so that I can make and receive calls. However, I have not yet figured out how to upload my phone book. All calls need to be manually dialed from the phone. Any info regarding the phone book hook up would be appreciated.
  • jasonatljasonatl Member Posts: 1
    I don't really "hear" the engine start up, but I feel it. To me, it feels akin to a vibration from a slightly rough road - and lasts for 1/2 a second or so. I can't say that I notice this every time. I defintely notice it in the driveway as I back out of the garage. My guess is that there are two reasons for this: 1) first (cold) start of the engine; 2) I'm on my driveway, barely moving, with no noise or vibrations around me (i.e., a better signal-to-noise ratio).

My observation is that this is "normal." To me, it is noticeable at times, but not annoying or at all bothersome.
  • lleecpalleecpa Member Posts: 35
    We are deciding between these two vehicles. We normally sell our cars once they reach 90,000 miles. Have anyone compared these two cars? Gasoline useage is an obvious one. Yet, by using 90,000 miles - 60% freeway - 40% local, assume $3 per gallon for gas, the difference is around $8,355. Difference in price between the two are around $15K. I currently have a 2001 Mercedes E430 (absolutely love the car) and my husband has 2000 Accura TL (we plan to sell this one).

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Get an E320 CDI and get an honest 37 MPG on the highway, at any speed you like to drive.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    With the Cayenne you would be carrying a lot of extra un-needed weight around for 90,000 miles. If you have non-sports off-road duty (cabin in the woods) for it then fine. But then that monor off-road duty virtually rules out the entire RX series.

If you haven't considered the BMW X3 or the new ML you might want to give them a looksee.
  • cabluecablue Member Posts: 48
    I absolutely love the Cayenne S. That's the car I would get if I didn't care about gas consumption. I am seriously considering the 400h because of its gas mileage. I drive a BMW 530 and wanted something sporty to drive with more room than my car. The Cayenne S was, imo, the only SUV that had that sporty feel driving and the luxury I was wanting. But, I cannot bring myself to get a new car with such horrible gas mileage. Not because of the cost of gas but because of the consumption. If everyone keeps buying these gas guzzlers, the car companies will continue to make them, unless the government steps in and requires better mpg. People need to be conscientious buyers. One has to prioritize their values. My husband objects to buying Japanese. I don't have as much a problem with that as he does.
  • headlessheadless Member Posts: 50
    First of all, the X3 is not a good vehicle and is not selling well. Although it has a BMW motor, it is a true underachiever in almost every other aspect. Do yourself a favor and pass this one over!

The new M series Mercedes is sweet...however, dollar for dollar, it cannot compete with the Lexus. The ML500 is 0-60 in 6.8, our RX400h is about 6.9-7.0 (depending who tests)...the Mercedes has nothing on acceleration once you're moving...the Lexus might even fare better...as far as 0-60 with the Lexus, the Lexus 7.3 is wrong. Independent tests have it faster (in the 6.9 range)...In addition, the Mercedes is a gas guzzler and at 93 octane...expect about 16 mpg...you can get 25 mph with performance with the RX400h and save about 15k...no questions here!

As far as the person with the Cayenne question...if you get a Cayenne, don't waste your time unless you get the turbo...if you're considering the small engine or the 'S', don't bother...you won't be too happy. The Lexus has them beat.

The best competition for this vehicle, IMHO, is the FX35 and 45 from Infiniti. The only thing that holds them back is the gas mileage and usage of premium gas...performance is great though, and the vehicle has very aggressive lines...

I have now 1700 miles on my RX...I am averaging about 24 mpg with normal use...in my area, this means hilly terrain with speed limits of 35-45 mph...this is the WORST terrain for a RX as you need to constantly stop and start from lights....many times going up hills...and get to speeds that certainly require the ICE....and a lot of it...even with such though, I'm getting 24 mpg.

On the highway, I range from 26 to 28 mpg, depending on speed. This is consistant with Lexus claims...

Bumper to bumper traffic is truly where the RX rules...expect 30+ mpg...

Headless
    In addition, the Mercedes is a gas guzzler and at 93 octane

If you can afford a vehicle that costs $50k to $100k why would you worry about gas mileage? Spending that kind of money the only thing to worry about is how well you like the car. And getting an RX400h that will go 0-60 in 6 seconds then driving it like a little old lady from Pasadena is real strange IMO. If you are worried about the mileage get a Prius and feel real "Green". Otherwise test drive them all and buy what you really like to drive. If you plan to go off-roading or tow your boat get the Cayenne or MB.
    I certainly wouldn't use a Porsche for an off-road vehicle...the vehicle is made for performance, not lots of towing and off-road.

The Mercedes is a little better off road...don't know how many people are going to buy a MB and drive it off-road though...more likely to tow a boat!

I don't think how much you spend on a vehicle correlates to caring about gas mileage. In fact, the more expensive your vehicle, the more concerned you should be. The way I see it is the more money someone has, the less they want to throw it away...for that reason, vehicles like a Hummer and Porsche Turbo are a waste...what soccer mom really needs to be driving around in a Hummer at 10 mpg? I can't think of one...even the newer extended Denalis are getting about 20 mpg on the highway...there's no point to owning a vehicle that gets around 15 mpg (or below), mostly on premium gas...no matter how much money you make, IMHO....you can do just as well with more efficient vehicles...and that's good for all of us...

Of course, it's America and we can do what we please, but the reason I bought the hybrid is because I wish to make a conscious effort to make an impact on our oil/gas consumption in this country....if we ALL drove hybrids of some form, we could lower our oil needs by probably 40%...and that would do wonders for our country! I need more space so a Prius isn't a good fit...but, next best for me is the hybrid SUV...and Lexus makes a good one with some performance so that you can enjoy the ride!

Headless
    According to 4Wheeler the Touareg is great off road and the Cayenne is basically the same vehicle. Plus they are both rated to tow 7700 lbs. That is more than any other midsized SUV. I would not tow that much with a short vehicle. The RXs are at the low end of tow rating. Maybe a more realistic number for the wheelbase. The only luxury SUV I have driven is the ML350. I liked it but would not buy with the MB gas. I am waiting for the "R" Class with diesel.
    The way I see it is the more money someone has, the less they want to throw it away

We totally agree there. That is why I cannot understand anyone buying the RX400h. When for about $10k less they can get the comparable RX330. No way that you will come out ahead on gas savings. And the 330 is a very clean burning car. I have tried driving like grandma to get great mileage in my Passat TDI. It is not worth the effort. I don't like driving in the right lane getting stuck behind trucks going up hills. If I cannot get good mileage driving 75-80 with the traffic flow so be it.
  • jdtjdt Member Posts: 10
    I haven't been able to program the garage door opener buttons in my 400h. The manual says to hold one in until the red indicator light flashes, but I can't get any of them to flash at all. The little red light just remains steadily on. Should they do this whether the remote is activated or not? There are separate instructions for a "rolling code" remote, but I'd still think the indicator light should flash if the button is held in either way, right?
  • markrogomarkrogo Member Posts: 50
    I had no trouble programming mine. I do have a rolling-code opener, for what that's worth.

On an unrelated note, Lexus is cutting 400h advertising in an attempt to reduce the order backlog. Many dealers are telling would-be customers that walk in that the wait is 1 year.

Of course, some of us waited longer. :)
    Our salesman gave us a separate instruction sheet with 4 steps plus 3 additional steps for rolling code openers. We used those instructions and they worked fine. The flashing doesn't start until you activate a handheld remote next to it.

Our salesman also offered to come over and help with the programing if we had trouble with it, but we didn't need that service. If you continue to have problems maybe yours will do the same.

Step 1: Test by pressing any button and seeing the red light come on.
    Step 2: Clear all channels by pressing both outside buttons at the same time until the red indicator light blinks rapidly (about 20 seconds) then release. (I assume this just has to be done the first time or perhaps to reprogram a button.)
    Step 3: Press the button you want to program and activate the hand-held remote until the red light blinks slowly -keep holding the buttons down for the next step.
    Step 4: keep the buttons down until the red light blinks quickly (1-30 seconds), then release.

Rolling code set-up has three additional steps after step 4.
  • rocky7rocky7 Member Posts: 13
    I definitely notice in AM when we back out of garage. I mostly notice when engine shuts off at light and in stop and go traffic. I call still tell when engine comes on but it's not intrusive.
    Although the Cayenne is almost the same as the Tourag, I don't know many who are going to go 4-wheeling in an 80k truck...I guess if you get the turbo diesel Tourag, you'd have a lot of towing power, but for a diesel, the mileage isn't all that!

As far as MB and their diesel...expect more torque...with the SUVs, I'm not sure what the mileage numbers will be...of course better, but performace will be lacking...

In regards to weathly people saving money, sure the RX400h makes sense...you pay more upfront, true, but you're doing a service to all by reducing emissions and getting better mileage...of course, the longer you have it, the more you'll save...remember, if we can cut our dependence on arab oil, we're doing something good for everyone...also, if you compare to a MDX, FX, or Cayenne, the RX400h uses cheap gas...this saves an additional .25 per gallon...so, costs for fuel do add up quickly...

Compared to the 330, the RX400h has much better performance.

I'm not knocking the 330, as it's a great vehicle, but I am saying the RX400h gives you all the 330 has and a lot more in the performance category...

Headless
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I believe the Tourag diesel isn't even sold in the US anymore because of extremely low demand.
  • subdriversubdriver Member Posts: 3
    Came close this weekend. I am 15th on the list and 4th in line for a white one. Noticed a white one on the lot Friday. Saleman and I checked and it was my interior grey leather trim. The 3 whites ahead of me had requested ivy leather. Sale Manager directed the 3 whites ahead of me be polled. Late Saturday the 1st two whites had declined. Saturday evening the 3rd white accepted. Soooo Close. You can imagine I was pumped for awhile. SubDriver
    I think the Touareg V10 diesel ran into a snag with the EPA. They did sell the 500 that were imported. Way overkill for my tastes. Maybe a V6 TDI Touareg that are offered in the EU.

headless:
    I thought the RX330 was also rated for regular unleaded. Or were you referring to the German choices? As far as the MB 320 CDI. I talked to a fellow that has the E320 CDI and he told me it outperforms the E350 gas by a good amount. Plus the 37 MPG on the highway. In the ML with diesel you would be lucky to break 30 MPG. None of the above SUVs are very aerodynamic. Not sure which has the best drag coefficient.
    Yes, the 330 uses 87 ocatane as well...the German and other Japanese premier brands use the premium gas grade. This adds a lot to cost...figure about $1000 a year difference (RX400h at 27 mpg with 87 octane and others at 17 mpg with 93 octane).

What do you consider to be 'outperforming'? Performance numbers or fuel economy numbers? I would think the diesel has more torque but lower hp...would be a slower machine overall (even though torque gets you from 0-60) but more efficient...as far as ML getting 30 mpg, I think that'd be a stretch...I'd say more like 25 as the drag coefficient is HUGE on that boxy frame...what are the CDI numbers in town?

As far as SUV with best drag coefficient, I don't know...I'm sure we can ge that somewhere...those with higher center of gravities...built on truck platforms, will not do as well...those built on the car platforms will have less drag...

Headless
  • ernoerno Member Posts: 3
    Well the best mpg I'm getting is 22.5 mpg after my second tank. I got 21 mpg on my first tank and I'm working on my third one. I'm wondering that its because I live in Hawaii and always have the A/C on and negotiate a hill everytime I go home and go over a mountain pass every time I go to work. However, even driving around flat honolulu, I never get over 25 mpg. Could it be my car is not tuned correctly? My battery is not operating right? It seems that the engine comes on often and early and when I am going up hills it gets like 5-9 mpg.
    No, I don't think it has to do with your car not being tuned properly...

I think a hilly terrain is tough if you have to 'slow' at all going up hill and then accelerate again...remember, your ICE is only 202 hp...that has to drag all the weight of the vehicle...

The electric motors do well when you accelerate slowly and are in a traffic environment...or, if you are coasting a lot...you should be able to recoup your mileage if you coast down hills (mountains)...just the opposite of going up them!

On flat terrain...try to accelerate up to speed and over by a little and then coast as long as you can....this is really the way ALL cars are meant to be driven, but most of us have not been raised to drive this way. I know I like to accelerate sharply and then brake sharply...although more fun to drive this way, it's highly inefficient. The hybrid is more sensitive to this....I have a late year Infiniti that is supposed to get 21/28 mpg...I don't get more than 23...reason? Driving style...

If you want to maximize your mileage, look to coast...as far as going up mountains...if you go up, you come down, so you should be able to average out your mileage...

I don't think the 31/27 is right....more likely you'll see 30/25, IMHO...

Your mileage will get better as you get more used to the vehicle and the engine breaks in...

Headless
    what are the CDI numbers in town? 27 MPG in the E320 CDI.

I put 80% of my mileage in a year on vacation highway miles. My in town driving is usually less than 5 miles a day. So whatever I buy new will be for taking trips in. So highway mileage is my main concern.

Drag Coefficient:
    BMW X5=.38
    Infiniti FX45=.35
    RX330=.35
    Cayenne=.39
    ML350=.34
    I imagine the RX400h is the same as the RX330.
    Could not find the Acura MDX
    Actually,

The RX400h has a slightly pointier 'nose' as well as functional air vents on the bottom to better cool the engine. I think they tweaked it a bit for a better drag coeffecient...hmmmm....

The MDX isn't so great in this category...it's based on the Honda Pilot which is like a brick on wheels (nice vehicle but very boxy!)...

For highway mileage, I would still think you'd want as good mileage as you can get. I can't think of a SUV that beats the RX400h other than the Escape Hybrid? But that doesn't have the performance or the features... The RX400h will get you 28-28 on the highway, again, with 87 octane. You also get impressive passing acceleration...the more you drive, the more you'll save over time. You're giving up nothing with the RX400h as they build it with everything standard...

Headless
    Here is a comparison of all the luxury SUV's. The RX400h is in a three way tie for 2nd place behind the MDX for overall best. The only thing that keeps the RX out of first place is very poor off-road ability. Which is why I got turned off on the RX series. We spend a lot of time in the desert. About the only use my Suburban gets outside of trips to Home Depot. At this point I don't think I would buy any SUV.

http://www.autos.com/autos/rankings_reviews?cat=suvs&segment=luxury_suvs&rank=reviews&year- =2005
  • mydquinmydquin Member Posts: 8
    Check out the larger Southeastern dealerships and consider shipping or driving the car back. I walked into Johnson Lexus (Raleigh) for the first time ever at 9am this morning and walked out with a contract on the 400h at MSRP at 1pm. I spoke to the internet sales guy yesterday. The car will arrive in 4-5 weeks. I could have driven out in the 400h if I wanted a silver car, but I like blue. They had 2 or 3 others on the lot with other feature packages. I was extremely impressed with the level of professionalism across the board. My sales person said a few west coasters are making special trips to avoid the wait.
  • subdriversubdriver Member Posts: 3
    Charles Barker Lexus in Virginia Beach has a Blue which I looked at yesterday.
    Good Luck. Subdriver.
    That sounds like a good idea. I stopped by our Lexus dealer for a closer look at the RX400h. Not only did they not have a demo unit. You had to put down a $1000 purchase agreement and get on the list. The wait is 6 months, and no test drive if you are not ready to buy.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    WOW... CA really sucks. On the East coast you can drive a demo and have a shorter wait.
    One of the reasons I end up going elsewhere to buy a car. There are some competitive dealers in the LA area. Not much in San Diego. They all act like they have you captive down here. Not so, as long as the airlines keep flying.