Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 400h and 450h

Comments

• michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    According to my local dealer, the only options are color, ML audio, & Rear Seat Entertainment. There will also be some options that would be available on the RX330 that will not be available on the 400h such as; air suspension and Laser Cruise Control.

Although I've read that Lexus has already made an online system available to those that have put down deposits, the latest news I've gotten from Lexus is that they are still not totally settled on final options and prices and won't make the ordering system available until these are final.

Although the people that have placed deposits will get first pick of the available vehicles, it seems like it might be a while before they actually have access to the vehicle they would have ordered if given the chance.

Regards
  • ptm123ptm123 Member Posts: 15
    Here is the Lexus website with the preliminary product info.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2006lexuskit/2006lex400h_s.p- df
  • hongchohongcho Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the preliminary data from Lexus.

There is hardly any additional options: three listed are an audio upgrade, a heated seat, a towing upgrade.

Not bad (or not good if you are looking for the lower base price).

Hong.
  • skyfish400hskyfish400h Member Posts: 27
    Nice find.

Does anyone have any experience with this feature of Lexus automobiles?

Customized Body Electronics System (C-BEST) allows certain electronic settings to be tailored to owner
    preference (programmable by Lexus dealers).

What sort of things can be programmed? Top speed? Max torque to wheels under heavy demand? Hmm...
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    What is the world coming to, worms in cars ? - snip - Automaker Lexus has denied that the Cabir wireless worm poses a risk to the Bluetooth-capable navigation systems featured in some of its vehicles.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5581162.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Interesting thought. A hacker takes control of your GPS NAV system and steers you into a rough part of town, right into a chop shop... Maybe I don't want a NAV system for my vehicle...
  • darlinboydarlinboy Member Posts: 4
    Nothing so interesting as that. Settings include: time delay on head/interior lights off, sensor level to determine when headlights auto-on, doorlocks unlock when car is put in park vs. manually, doors lock when car put in drive vs. at 15 mph. There are other programmable settings in a similar vein.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I am rather disappointed that the Laser Cruise Control will not be available on the RX400h. Is this for certain? I sure hope they change their mind about this option since I find this extremely helpful on my LS430 on the highway. I think it is the most significant option they offer. I sure hope Lexus changes its mind about this & it does become available afterall. We are number 17 on the waiting list at my dealer. This will be mainly driven by my wife. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they can somehow persuade Lexus to include Laser Cruise Control as an option. I am willing to pay premium price for this. Please Lexus! Include this option.
    I agree! I'm also rather disappointed that they will not be offering the smart ignition system that's available on the Toyota Prius. I would have been nice not to have dangling keys.
    I had heard that the air suspension offered much improved handling (less lean in corners). It would certainly have been nice to have an option that allowed some control of the cars handling (sigh).

Regards
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    You believe this, I have a bridge to sell you too. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Some of the early promotional material for the RX400h bragged about 600 mile cruising range. I wonder what happened to that. With a 17.2 gallon fuel tank and 26mpg highway, the range is quite disappointing (about the same as a LX470, which is equally diaappointing.) Interestingly, the toyota.com info on the Highlander hybrid mentions a 600 mile range. I presume that this is out-of-date information.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Air suspension on the RX330 does virtually nothing in my experience. I was hoping for a more sporty feel, but it disappointed. There is probably a reason it's fairly rare...
  • andyux2andyux2 Member Posts: 17
    We saw our salesman today. He said Lexus will NOT be e-mailing the wait list people as earlier reported. He said Lexus said it was too difficult to do. He said the latest he heard was that this dealership (near Seattle) could be getting five or six 400hs for April 15th, a few more if it's a truckload. Said a couple of their guys drove one down in Cal. recently and said they were duly impressed with the giddyap. Mpg - 26 highway, 30 city.
  • andy3andy3 Member Posts: 5
    For those of you on the wait-list, be
    sure and read the latest issue of Road and Track for a brief article on the 400h. Most disconcerting, for me at least, is that the writer says the vehicle cannot be used off-road, as apparently the rear electric motors can load-up and fail in distressed driving conditions. Not your usual AWD vehicle capabilities, right?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Anyone who spends $44K-$50K for a Lexus hybrid SUV and then wants to do "real offroading" just bought the wrong car anyway.

Here's the Road and Track reviewer:

"One thing you can't do is drive off-road, which will no doubt disappoint the tens of RX owners who routinely slog through the mud. The reason is that under load and without sufficient speed, the air-cooled rear motor could fry."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=1- 869&page_number=1

I think the latest estimates say less than 5% of 4WD/AWD SUVs sold in the USA ever see anything offroad. I'm betting the RX400H will do fine in regular mud and snow, just nothing heavy and deep.
    Anyone who spends $44K-$50K for a Lexus hybrid SUV and then wants to do "real offroading" just bought the wrong car anyway.

Might be real bad if they are trying to get up the beach ahead of the tide and get stuck in the sand. If you have a 4X4 you expect it to be able to function as a 4X4. You paid for it and it should be available if needed. I'll bet there are people in LA right now trying to get through mudslides in their SUVs that would not like to find out it only works on dry land or 3 inches of snow. Quit making excuses for poor engineering. Poster wwest months ago questioned this very thing and many posters gave him a bad time for even thinking that Toyota could screw up.

wwest, "Lexus RX 400h" #514, 29 Nov 2004 2:16 pm
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    gagrice

I laughed at your writing.
    "I'll bet there are people in LA right now trying to get through mudslides in their SUVs "

If you drive a Hummer up a hill, it will naturally cause mudslides, landslides, etc.

Is there any SUV that can help us escape from Avalance, Tsunami, etc, something like Hummer H0 which is taller, wider and longer than Hummer H1.

Expect SUV sales to slider in the face of rising gas prices.
    quote gagrice-". If you have a 4X4 you expect it to be able to function as a 4X4. You paid for it and it should be available if needed. I'll bet there are people in LA right now trying to get through mudslides in their SUVs that would not like to find out it only works on dry land or 3 inches of snow. Quit making excuses for poor engineering."-end quote

It's not a 4x4, it has an AWD system, and you know the difference Gary.

If they wanted to make a 4x4 Off Road Hybrid and saw a market for it, they WOULD make one. This is not for that. It's a smallish, car-based, crossover SUV and is not made for offroading.

Lexus/Toyota is not trying to fool anyone (oH the ConSpirAcy !!! ))))):)
    Gary may have confused his zoloft and took metamucil when he posted that. I am quite certain that the system will perform admirably in ALL road situations. I once owned an RX300 and believe me, this car is NOT capable of offroading in anything other than a fire road or gravel road.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I owned an RX300, too, and, if nothing else, the tires supplied are totally unsuited to off-roading.
    I once owned an RX300 and believe me, this car is NOT capable of offroading in anything other than a fire road or gravel road.

No going up to the cabin on the lake if the roads are muddy. No going out on the beach for fear the sand will be too dry. No taking it skiing as the roads may have too much snow. What a horrible indictment you put on this vehicle. What is it good for then? It sure doesn't look good. Unless you want a car that looks like a Faberge Egg. I wonder how many names get pulled off the wait list when they find out the truth about the RX400h.
    Probably the folks that will buy it are the ones sick and tired of taking in their GM SUVs for repair. The Lexus I had was a 1999 and it gave me 3 excellent years of service. If I were in the market for this type of vehicle, I'd get it. Let's see how its service record is before we condemn it. BUT... Gary the jealous gloom and doom guy has already done that already.
  • frenchornefrenchorne Member Posts: 31
    I just received the latest Lexus Hybrid Newsletter e-mail (Winter 2005 Vol. 5). It includes a base MSRP of $48,535, which includes the delivery, processing and handling fee (normally $650 for the RX 330). I believe the only options are the:

Mark Levinson Audio System ($1,480)
    DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System ($1,840)
    Adjustable Front Seat Heaters ($540)

Based on the price for these options on the RX 330, I calculated the "best guess price" in parentheses above. This would give a grand total of $52,395, before taxes.

There doesn't appear to be any other new information in the Newsletter.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    I received the same email. Trying to compare apples-to-apples the best I could, the base RX400h is about $3500 higher than a similarly equipped RX330 (AWD, Premium Plus and Navigation). It wouldn't surprise me if there are many RX400h's built with no extra options, selling for the $48,535 base. The question is: Should I wait for the 280 hp RX350 and get more power and 8 lower mpg for less money?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    can they build?

DrFill
  • krellukrellu Member Posts: 31
    I am going for the rx400h,especially being I have a reservation at my local dealership. Waiting for the rx350 does not make sense because the price difference will not be significant.Also keep in mind the rx350 might be an'07 model.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    We have been on the list for the Hybrid RX 400h for some time. Looking at the base price at $48,500 base I think were canceling.

This looks like about a 8K premium, so we ordered a Hemi Jeep GC Limited today with MDC on the engine. Loaded it was 36K after rebates, you can buy a lot of fuel for about 20K, even at $4 / gallon.

See Below:

Many of you have been with us from the beginning, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the world's first luxury hybrid. The good news is that the wait is almost over. And the very good news is that as a sign of our appreciation for your patience, you are among the first group of people to receive official information about the revolutionary Lexus RX 400h.

To begin, we thought we'd give you the two most highly anticipated numbers. Arriving in Lexus showrooms on April 15, 2005, the RX 400h will be priced at $48,535 MSRP [1].

Perhaps one of the most stunning attributes of the RX 400h is its impressive performance. Combining the power output from its electric drive motors and the 3.3-liter V6 engine, gives you brisk acceleration from 0 to 60 in 7.3 seconds [2], outperforming many of its V8-equipped competitors.

Even with its enhanced performance, the RX 400h still gives you the optimal mileage and low emissions that you expect from a hybrid. The estimated combined fuel-economy rating of 28 mpg [3] equals the average for compact sedans. And its estimated EPA city fuel-economy rating is even better. At 30 mpg, the RX 400h's city mileage more than doubles those of many V8-equipped luxury SUVs.

The RX 400h features an AWD system that utilizes a separate electric drive motor at the rear. Not only does it provide extra torque on demand, the intelligent system actually helps to manage front and rear torque distribution according to traction conditions.

It's only fitting that the next generation of luxury SUVs would feature the all-new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) [4] system. Rather than reacting to vehicle wheel slippage, VDIM's advance sensors allow it to anticipate such conditions. As soon as any slippage or loss of traction is detected, it applies the Electronically Controlled Braking (ECB) system and controls the Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i) to help maintain the correct course.

As you can see, with the innovative RX 400h we didn't just go out of our way to create the new benchmark of luxury SUVs. We also set out to make April 15, 2005, one of the most inspiring dates in hybrid vehicle history.

Comfort and Luxury
    - Brushed-aluminum accents
    - Voice-activated DVD navigation system [5]
    - Automatic dual-zone climate control with smog-sensing air filtration
    - 10-way adjustable driver's power seat with memory function
    - Power rear door with remote keyless entry
    - Available Mark Levinson [6] audio system with 11 speakers and in-dash,
    six-disc CD auto-changer
    - Available DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System (RSES) with remote
    control, wireless headphones and seven-inch LCD
    - 38 cu ft [7] of rear cargo capacity; 84 cu ft [7] with rear seats
    folded down
    - Illuminated entry system

Safety
    - Front dual-stage airbags Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) [8],
    driver's-knee airbag, front seat-mounted side airbags and side curtain
    airbags
    - Welded-steel unibody frame, side-impact door beams and impact-
    dissipating front and rear crumple zones
    - Rollover sensor
    - Backup camera [9]
    - Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
    - High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
    - Rain-sensing wipers

Warranty
    - 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with Roadside Assistance for
    48 months/unlimited miles
    - Powertrain and restraint system coverage is provided for 72 months/70,000
    miles
    - Corrosion perforation protection is covered for 72 months, regardless of
    mileage
    - The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control
    module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for
    96 months/100,000 miles

[1] 2006 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) includes delivery, processing and handling fee. Excludes taxes, title, license and optional equipment. Actual dealer price may vary.

[2] These performance capacity figures are for comparison only, and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. Do not attempt.

[3] EPA-estimated ratings: 28 city/30 highway mpg. Actual mileage may vary.

[4] Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VDIM will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.

[5] The Lexus DVD Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Changes in street names, road closures, traffic flow or other road system changes may affect the accuracy of the mapping software. Rely upon your common sense to decide whether or not to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city. Optional periodic geographic updates available at an additional cost. See your Navigation System Owner's Manual and your Lexus dealer for further details.

[6] Mark Levinson is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries.

[7] Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and distribution.

[8] The Lexus driver's and front passenger's dual-stage airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags, driver's-knee airbag and side curtain airbags are Supplemental Restraint Systems (SRS). The driver's and front passenger's airbags and driver's-knee airbag are designed to deploy in severe (usually frontal) collisions where the magnitude and duration of the forward deceleration of the vehicle exceed the design threshold level. The side airbags and side curtain airbags are designed to deploy in certain types of severe side-impact collisions. The side curtain airbags are Roll-Sensing Curtain Airbags (RSCA) and are designed to deploy at a severe tilt degree, roll or lateral G-force. In all other accidents, the airbags will not deploy. To decrease the risk of injury from a deploying airbag, always wear your seatbelt, sit upright in the middle of the seat, and do not lean against the door. Do not put objects in front of an airbag or around the seatback. Do not use a rearward-facing child seat in any front passenger seat. The force of a deploying airbag SRS may cause serious injury or death. Please see your Owner's Manual for further instructions.

[9] The backup camera, available only with the navigation system, does not provide a comprehensive view of the entire rear area of the vehicle. You should also look around outsid
    Thanks for posting the article. This was an excellent read.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    The article was removed. Posting entire articles is a copyright infringement.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Too bad.. maybe that person will be so kind as to post a link.
    "This looks like about a 8K premium"

What might you be basing your calculation on? I noted that #605 calculated that there was ~3500 premium over a comparably equipped RX330.
    The price a dealer in the SF bay area is willing to sell a RX 330 with the same equipment. About 42K versus over 50K with the same options. The 330's are being sold below list, this is what we are comparing. The dealers will not discount the hybrid.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I think he's going to come back and post the link... innocent "newbie" error!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I don't understand going from a 400h to a JGC.

These two vehicles are for totally different buyers!

One is efficient, stylish, roomier (than the JGC), and with impeccable quality, value, and luxury. It is not an off-roader, it is a Road Ruler!

The other is a Jeep.

And if you're paying $36k AFTER rebates, you are getting RIPPED! Hemi Scmemi! That thing is worth $25k next year. Maybe.

DrFill
    it is a Road Ruler!

That is a push for a wannabe SUV like the RX. Maybe the LX470, Escalade, Navigator or Hummer2. No one even takes a second glance at an RX330 nor will they of the RX400h. Asian midsize SUVs all look alike, Garish. It should not be considered an SUV according to the American Heritage dictionary.

sport-u·til·i·ty vehicle (spôrty-tl-t, sprt-)
    n. Abbr. SUV
    A four-wheel-drive vehicle with a roomy body, designed for off-road travel.

S.U.V. n : a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck chassis
    LX330/400h are GENERALLY classified as "crossovers" due to their non-truck chassis....

http://www.edmunds.com/new/market/crossover/all/

http://tinyurl.com/7yh9y

http://tinyurl.com/4zx49
    As long as the RX400h salesmen make it clear to prospective buyers that they should not try to make it up to the cabin if they have to go through any deep mud, I don't have a problem.

One of your articles has misleading data. The Explorer is the only SUV mentioned in the article that lost ground last year. The 2nd highest selling SUV the Chevy Trailblazer increased their sales and gained on number One. The Dodge Durango and GMC Envoy both posted increased in sales over 2003. Sounds like Toyota paid Bankrate to mislead the public. Doesn't surprise me I am sure they have CR in their pocket also.

The success of Japanese crossovers has put American manufacturers in the position of having to play catch up. Merkle points to American-made truck-based SUVs such as the Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and Chevrolet Trailblazer as vehicles whose sales have been eaten away, partly due to the success of crossover vehicles.
    "The 2nd highest selling SUV the Chevy Trailblazer increased their sales and gained on number One. "
    Can you show me the link. If it has gained #1 position, GM will not reduce its MSRP.

The 4WD in SUV's & CUV's are useful when we drive in snow / mud. But the Truck chassis of SUV's are used only if we need to carry 2-3 tons of stuff which no one does. Hence SUV's are replaced by lighter CUV's.
    I did say that Trailblazer gained on number one not past number one. Here is 1 & 2 from autosite. By comparison the top Toyota highlander sold 133,077 units in 2004 and was in 11th place.

Chevrolet TrailBlazer 2004 283,484 2003 261,334
    Ford Explorer 2004 339,333 2003 373,118
    Chevy TrailBlazer sales increased probably its the new model in the year 2004.

But in Jan-2005, its not in the Top-Ten list according to USSalesSummary0501.xls in
    http://wardsauto.com/reference_sample/index.htm
    Hence reduction in MSRP.
    BTW, Escape is coming closer to Explorer, if Cabbies switch over to Hybrid-Escape, bingo.

Probably RX400h can be used as Limousines.
    It deserves that place.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Once upon a time a Chevy Suburban was considered just a big truck-like stationwagon or if you prefer, a big station-like truck. Now it's an SUV. The new RX 400H Lexus SUV just goes to show that an "SUV" is different things to different people. Isn't "luxury" another term that runs the gammit? What's luxury in a FORD or CHEVY is an accepted standard in a BMW or MERCEDES. One thing for sure. The Lexus RX400h seems to be a unique and expensive variation (in some ways) as to a hybrid vehicle's definition. When Dodge comes out with the ALL WHEEL DRIVE MAGNUM will that be considered an SUV?
    Culliganman
    The Envoy, TrailBlazer, and Rainier lost so much ground in January (over 40% year-to-year), that GM is cutting the PRICE by $1-2k!!

RX as Road Ruler. As in how it tames the road, makes rough roads seem fairly easy. In how it imposes it's will on the road. How it rules a rough piece of road.

DrFill
    The RX is one of the best riding/driving crossover vehicles when compared to the MDX/Murano/FX etc. It does NOT claim (or want) to be a clumsly poorly constructed SUV as GM trucks seem to be lately. I read that the 400h has over 12,000 preorders!!! That should be a testament to its eventual success. GM wins buyers by almost giving their product away, at least Toyota/Lexus builds a fine vehicle.
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Too bad that: "Only residents of the United States who are 18 years or older are eligible to enter and win the raffle." - otherwise I'd very much have liked to participate, as both the object and the prize are to my liking.....

Kind greetings from Luxembourg,
    Birger
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, Kirstie

I'm sorry to have missed this article. While I understand the copyright infringement motive, it would really be nice to have a link to the publication concerned posted. Now everyone is held in suspense ;-)

Cheers from snowy Luxembourg,
    Birger
    Maybe I can help to explain why we are making the switch. We have both a 2002 RX300 and a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We like both cars and yes they are very different.

1. Have you driven a 2005 Jeep, I have and can tell you it is vastly different than the 2001.

2. The RX 300 is very costly to maintain, the 5K service is $159 versus the Jeep at $40. 15K service was $420 versus $150 for the Jeep. The 30 K was the same for both, about $500.

3. The RX is now 2 and 1/2 years old and is now developing squeaks in the dash and a occasional squeling sound from the engine area. The dealer has no clue on the cause

4. Yes for sure the RX 330 / 400 is stylish but is it functional over the RX 300, drive the 330 and note the blind spot on the left and right rear windows, they are much smaller than the RX 300. The center seat area and center front console open space is less spacious due to the larger center console.

5. Yes the Jeep will drop faster in value but I've noticed that the RX 300 we have is also droping, pretty much all used cars are droping in price. This is the beauty of leasing if you plan to flip your ride every 2 years. Cars depreciate, all of them.

The extra 14 K deposited in our 401 K along with my employer match will more than make up for the drop in value on the Jeep. Couple this with the 8.25% sales tax on the additional $14K and the Jeep drop in value is really not a big deal.

Lastly we have a 2004 Mercedes C240 4-Matic and have had no problems after 26k miles of driving. Maintenace is simple and cost zero on the 2004. The dealer is excellent, even came to our house and picked up the car for its service. So overall in our case it is the top dog.

Just our thinking on the RX 400 versus Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    Just our thinking on the RX 400 versus Jeep Grand Cherokee.

You may have made a wise decision. If they don't get the problems with the RX330 resolved they may carry over to the RX400h. See links below on transmission, brakes and noise issues. If you think the routine maintenance was expensive. It is mild compared to the out of warranty repairs.

josh5, "Lexus RX 330: Problems & Solutions" #948, 23 Jan 2005 5:19 pm

dorothyk, "Lexus RX 330: Problems & Solutions" #998, 16 Feb 2005 12:56 am

spring, "Lexus RX 330: Problems & Solutions" #987, 4 Feb 2005 9:44 am
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

The item that bothers me most about the RX’s (hybrid’s or not) is its size … For $33 - 50K, it seems tight to me.

Passenger Volume/Cargo Volume (cu. ft.)

06 Lexus RX400h: 102.5/38.3
    05 Honda CR-V: 106.0/33.5
    05 Acura MDX: 126.2/49.6 with the third row stowed for increased cargo capacity.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    it seems tight to me.

When my tax man came by with his new RX and took me for a ride that was my thought, very cramped feeling. Plus lots of blind spots. He loves it and is not a very big man so that is what counts.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    If you look in the Lexus manual you will see that the dealers add on many "services" that are not required at each service interval. If you have only the required work done the cost of the service visit is significantly less.